Rookie Blue: Missy Peregrym on Andy and Nick's 'Connection,' Working With Sam's New Squeeze

Rookie Blue Season 4 SpoilersBrace yourselves, fans of Rookie Blue‘s Andy and Sam: Difficult times are ahead, starting with the drama’s fourth season premiere this Thursday (ABC, 10/9c).

After six months undercover together, Andy and Nick have formed a strong bond. Meanwhile, there’s been some major developments back at 15 Division, professionally and romantically, which come as quite the blow to McNally.

TVLine spoke to her portrayer, Missy Peregrym, about why Andy/Sam fans should be concerned — working with your ex’s new girlfriend is no picnic! — as well as whether someone else catches the rookie’s eye and how her relationship with Nick might cause trouble for another coworker.

RELATED | ABC’s 666 Park Avenue Airs Final Episodes Starting June 22

TVLINE | The theme this season is, “Change or die.” What’s the biggest change in Andy as a character?
She opens pretty strong. She’s kind of come into her own a little bit. This is a pretty big assignment that we’ve been on. It’s a big deal to be gone for six months. I think she thought everything was going to be the same when she got back. When she gets back to Division, there’s a lot of changes. There’s new people there, which changes the dynamic. Sam is a detective, which means we’re not partnered to work [together] all the time. Essentially, he’s an authority [figure] again, and he’s moved on from me… So Andy has to step back, and she’s on the outside of everything. She’s having to adjust and adapt to everything that Division is now, the dynamic and the relationships between the people. If she doesn’t adapt, she’s not going to be able to do her job.

TVLINE | Did a part of her expect Sam to wait for her even though she disappeared with no word?
Kind of. [Laughs] Just because we’ve been through so much already… Well, yeah, of course. He broke up with me because he didn’t know how to do his job and be with me. But he didn’t say he didn’t care about me. And I wasn’t going away to be mean to Sam. I was doing it because I was choosing myself for the first time in my life and making a decision for me…. It was a personal thing. It wasn’t against him. So you assume you’re going to fall into some sort of step together when you get back.

TVLINE | It’s no secret that Sam has a new girlfriend (played by Rachael Ancheril, right). How is Andy dealing with that — and with having to work with her?
Rookie Blue Season 4 SpoilersIt’s hard. It’s really difficult actually. Andy takes it really personally because, like I said, she thought we broke up because he didn’t know how to be in a relationship and care for someone and do his job. And then I come back, and I’m like, “What is happening?” That’s painful to deal with. That’s something you’ll see play out… There’s always this chemistry between [Andy and Sam]. That never goes away. That’s the most difficult part about it. I thought I would be a lot stronger coming back into this. Then I see him again, and it’s just undeniable… And there’s some unresolved issues. We both have two very different ideas about why we weren’t together.

RELATED | Fall TV Schedule 2013 — What’s On When? And Against What?

TVLINE | The Andy/Sam fans are, obviously, brokenhearted.
I really like what they’ve done with it, because this is life. Just because you have chemistry with someone doesn’t mean you’re naturally going to be the best for each other. You have make choices and prioritize. You have to work at a relationship, and it was something that Sam wasn’t willing to do. It was too overwhelming for him with Jerry’s death, and he shattered Andy in the process. So now Andy’s trying to pick up the pieces. Yet, Sam really does love Andy. He just didn’t know how to deal with it properly. That’s life. That’s what happens. So we continue that journey this next year. It’s not about whether we’re together or not. We’re constantly growing. We’re constantly learning about ourselves. As those things get unveiled this season, I really love it. It’s not about a title of being with somebody; it’s way deeper than that. Fans don’t have to be really upset.

TVLINE | Is anybody going to catch Andy’s eye in the meantime?
Well… [Laughs] I’m not going to answer that. I can’t answer that properly.

PHOTOS & VIDEO | Fall TV Preview: Your Complete Guide to What’s New

TVLINE | Andy and Nick have been gone for a long time together, and their relationship has really grown. What’s their dynamic going to be like moving forward?
We already started to establish a friendship last season, and now we’re even stronger because of how we’ve been working together. We’re posing as a couple. It’s very easy to do with him. I trust him. I get along with him really great. I’ve never experienced a relationship like that with anyone in any of the seasons… There’s a foundation there that’s strong. It’s more equal. We respect each other. We call each other out. It’s healthy. And it’s not dramatic. It’s very practical. If there’s an issue, you just talk about it. It’s so different from what I’ve gone through with Sam, where it’s just so up and down and everything is feelings.

TVLINE | I love that Andy and Nick are already fighting like an old married couple in the premiere.
[Laughs] I know! That’s the difference – you can do that when you’re comfortable with somebody. You can do that when you don’t expect someone to take off on you. You know they’re going to have your back.

TVLINE | Does their new closeness make it difficult when they get back to the precinct, like with Gail?
Absolutely. Naturally, when you spend that much time with somebody, you’re going to grow together. We go through a pretty serious adventure in the first episode. You get to see the dynamic that we’ve built. And that’s the problem. If you’re not going to spend time with the person that you are with, who you cared for in the past, and you’re spending time with a new person, you’re naturally going to build a connection. Even though it’s not truly romantic, [being] under cover, there’s a connection. And of course Gail’s going to see that. But that’s their thing that they have to work out.

1. Maddie Mae says:

Argh!! I want Sandy together!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Maggie says:

I’ve seen a couple clips from the 1st episode, and I kind of love the partnership of Andy and Nick. He gives it right back to her, and is really her equal. The whole “break up buddy” gag from last season was funny, and you can tell they trust each other. Can’t wait for the opener tomorrow!!

3. Mari says:

Uhm, Missy, that’s not life, that’s the screenwriters not knowing hot to go forward, so they create unnecessary angst.
    And you bet that we’ll see more of Sam and the new girl being a couple and maybe Andy with whoever – even Luke again? – than what they were ever together.

So long, RB.

• Mike R. says:

Oh, grow up, that is how television works, thy cannot get their two leads together right away, they will be together by the season end. Personally I prefer the cops friendships over their relationships.

• Mari says:

Uhm, it’s not a question of growing up, it’s a question of absurdity, imho.
        There are couples in real life that are on/off for years, but there are also couples that work through their problems, but in US TV they don’t do that because it’s boring.
        And I think that’s a load of ****.
        Let me tell you, I watch lot of Asians dramas and some of them do a wonderful job having couples going throug rough patches but staying together and working on it.
        And I’m disappointed not because Sam/Andy are not together anymore, but because of the how they handled it.
        They could have done loads of other things to keep them apart, but seriously, having Sam being all happy with the new one when he was so closed off with Andy?
        That makes them not the endgame but just two people who had a nice time together.
        Meh.
        And Andy/Nick is so OOC for Andy.
        The rookies are her family. Gail is a member of that family (especially last season they got stronger) and the Andy of the first seasons wouldn’t go there, imho.
        That said, for me RB has lost its spark, but that’s fine, I don’t have to watch this season.
        But neither do I have to have you be not nice because of a difference of tastes and opinion

• Nerdalicious says:

“So they create unecessary angst.”

You do realize this is a tv show, right?

• Mari says:

I know that.
        But maybe it’s just me, but I’m tired of tv shows that have to invent absurd things to keep people apart.
        They could give new stuff.
        I don’t know if you ever watched Nikita, but the main couple has been together for 2 seasons and a bit, and they’ve had rough patches, sort of breaks and everything else. And it was beautifully done, really.
        No plot devices made to just keep them apart, everything had a reason.
        But that’s just my opinion :)

4. I’m probably one of the two people in the world — my mom being the other — who wants Andy and Sam apart. He treats her badly, he does what he wants with her. She’s just too good for him! I kinda loved last season finale! Good for the writers. I’m happy with how the new season is turning out! If Sam doesn’t grow up, he doesn’t deserve Andy. It’s really that simple!

I’m so excited it’s starting today! :D

• M3rc Nate says:

Your not alone, i like Sam in terms of hes a good cop it seems, but hes a crappy boyfriend and for sure has relationship/communication issues. Ones big enough that i dont want her with him. I liked her with Luke because he was the nice, sweetheart, caring boyfriend…if i remember right he cheats, but i didnt really believe that as a natural progression of his character more of a: writers want to break them up for good and move her on to be with Sam so they make him a cheater (like Fairly Legal season 2, all of a sudden the great, amazing guy Shahi was married to admits to cheating…cause the writers FOR season two needed to write more drama/love triangle etc into the show, it didnt fit with the character). In that relationship (Andy/Luke) it was Andy that was the immature, not very good GF cause she was allowing the chemistry to build with Sam…but now she is more mature. So i have no clue who she should be with, but i dont get why she would choose a damaged undercover (at the time) cop who isnt mature enough to say “I love you, il wait for you cause you are worth it”. Instead he dumps her, has a new GF now and DUH the writers will eventually break them up, and get Sam back with Andy. LAME. PREDICTABLE. RB: Please be a better show, classier, more realistic, less 20 year old naive immature kids, more Flashpoint please. Mature adults, mature real relationships, etc. What a waste of the insanley amazing Missy Peregrym.

• Eliza says:

You can count me. I’m not into the Andy & Sam coupling at all. Actually prefer her relationship with Luke over her relationship with Sam. I was pretty upset that the writers chose the cheating route with Luke.

• ronni says:

You’re not alone. I like both Sam & Andy but just not as a couple. Just didn’t feel right to me. I too preferred Andy & Luke together. Just seemed a better fit. I know he cheated on her but that didn’t sit right with me in terms of his character or personality. He was too into Andy….too scared he’d lost her (one episode she was “shot”)….to risk that with an unstable ex-girlfriend. I think they need to revisit Luke with Andy.

• Nerdalicious says:

You are not alone. You can count me in as someone who never really got into the Sam and Andy arc of the show. I love them as individual characters, but really could do without their romance. In my opinion, Sam needs some serious maturing when it comes to relationships, and Andy just generally deserves better.

How about someone who makes her laugh for a change?

• mzriss says:

OMG! Im not a Sam & Andy fan either!! I didnt like the relationship, didnt think that the characters themselves grew really and just wanted Andy to break up with him as soon as she got with him! I was a Andy and luke fan! Loved their relationship! I thought they had great chemistry and just better than her and sam…. but now… Im a NICK AND ANDY fan!!!! OMG after seeing episode 1 and seeing the chemistry and relationship they have, it just craps over luke and sam! I so cant wait to see them grow together over this season! I just hope the writers are smart and get these two together!!!!!! Any other MCCOLLINS fan??

• RIGHT? He never makes her laugh!

• C says:

Ever noticed that she doesn’t seem to be carefree around Sam either? She’s sang in front of Luke and Nick but never in front of Sam.

• Amy Leigh says:

I’ve never been a Sam/Andy fan. I like them both individually but I just never got the appeal of them together. I loved Luke/Andy and I miss Luke being in the show. :( I think I could get on board with Nick/Andy though.

5. Lu says:

I loved how Missy Peregrym answered the questions– as Andy. It demonstrates how she makes sense of her character’s journey. Not just what happens but the motivations behind them.

6. I am a big fan of Sandy and I really want them to be together. But I do think it is best to be apart for awhile. They both have their issues & they both have some growing to do before they can be in a healthy relationship with each other. I think it will be interesting to see them explore thier lives away from each other & with other people. Personally, I LOVED Andy with Luke & I think it would be fun if they explored that again. (that would make Sam crazy! lol) I also really like her chemistry with Nick so I’m looking forward to that. All that being said, I do want Sam and Andy to eventually find their way back to each other.

7. Sar says:

I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!! So excited for this season, love the Sam/Andy//Nick dynamic!

8. bristow3269 says:

First let me say I love Nick & Andy as friends I loved Nick stepping in and being Andy’s break-up buddy. I am glad Andy had that after she and Sam broke up she needed that Traci was dealing with Jerry’s death and Andy had be there for her Chris just found out he had son, Gail was dealing with the aftermath of her kidnapping things between her and Sam where strained at best. I was glad she had someone she could lean on. That being said I do not think her relationship with Nick should turn romantic they are better off as friends at least that’s what I think if the writers want to keep Sam & Andy apart for awhile fine but does Marlo have to be in the picture? I will watch season four but I will skip over any scenes where Sam & Marlo are hugging, kissing and or acting like a coulple I have sat through this with too many other tv couples I have shipped over the years its exhausting and I cannot do it anymore.

9. silvia says:

Love Missy. Andy is my favorite. LOVE Sam and Andy. I just hate marlo so much already. She is going to be a pain in the butt. I may have to watch after Sam and Marlo break up. I can’t watch Sam’s lips on anyone’s but Andy’s

10. Anneri says:

Oh my word! If been stocking the webb for the last 3day’s for any scoops. I just can’t wait any more! Love the clips they gives us. I’m to exited. Andy is my favorite and I love Sam and Andy together ,but I think its better to be apart for NOW. Nick and Andy is going to be good this season as Friends. That’s what’s she needs now. Someone that gets her. Just love this show and can’t wait for all the action.

11. Sarah says:

While I am, also, going to fast forward through the Sam/Marlo scenes, I am totally excited to see Andy and Nick’s relationship grow. Missy is a chemistry machine, she generates it with everyone, but she has amazing chemistry with Peter and Ben. If I can’t have Sam/Andy, then my close second would definitely be Andy and Nick. I really don’t want to see Sam with Marlo, though. So, I’m going to pretend that it doesn’t exist by fast forwarding through their scenes together. I’m really looking forward to the season, though. I want to see Andy get some happiness, she is the one that sold me on this show from the beginning and I’d like the focus to shift back to her again. Missy/Andy deserve it for how much they bring to Rookie Blue.

12. M. says:

Last season, they broke up almost all the relationships I cared about, and killed off Jerry in the process. I won’t be watching this season.

13. lucy says:

Yay my favorite cop soap opera is back. I love Nick in general, so I’m glad we’ll be seeing more of him as they show him and Gail working through things and him being a friend for Andy.
    Pretty and sexy as Sam and Andy are together, Sam is a moron and Andy shouldn’t get together with him until he grows up.

14. Jaimie says:

I’m honestly not happy about Cruz , I figured that when Sam left Andy that another girl would come into this whole thing . I love SANDY and I know that their chemistry will bring them back together soon enough . I think Jerry’s death was hard on Sam and he wasn’t sure how to handle the rest of life . . . . Which happens , I’m excited for the rest of the season to happen :)

15. dude says:

I really like Andy/Nick.

16. Nerdalicious says:

Seriously, never liked Andy and Sam together.

When apart, they are great, strong, enjoyable characters to watch. When they are together, they become an immature mess.

Quite frankly, I am looking forward to the Andy/Nick dynamic. I actually see a lot more mutual respect and trust in that relationship. THAT to me is a much more enjoyable relationship to watch on TV.

Will the RB writers cave in and end up bringing Sam and Andy back together? Probably. Predictable? Yes. But I’ll enjoy the stuff before it gets to that point a lot more.

17. teresa johnson says:

Well i really wanted things to work for Sam and Andy !! I’m really disappointed , Couldn’t he even wait six months.. He knew where she was and what she was doing!! I though Gail would be the one not to wait!!! Any way i’ll watch it a couple of times and see how it goes….I may just have to stop watching even though i have watched it from the start and even have the dvd..But then i no just one fan doesn’t make a big difference.

18. Kenniki says:

Andy and Nick are a much better match! They don’t have all the baggage that would result if they returned to Gail and Sam.. They would be HEALTHY and respect each other and they are a very good looking couple! I love their chemistry and want to see their relationship grow this season. I hope ultimately this is the one that sticks.

• S says:

Totally disagree. Sam and Andy will survive. Its a matter of time. Too much invested in their relationship from season 1 episode 1 until now. We have to see it happen.

19. Marla237 says:

The writer did not do a good job with Sam’s characters. I hope they listen to the fan rooting for Sam and Andy.

20. amy-lee says:

While I liked Sam and Andy, they were so bad for each other. While they still have great chemistry, It never felt like a real love, there was always something, so much drama! (I love drama, but you can only take so much)

After watching the premier, I just love the idea of Nick and Andy. They just have this natural chemistry and they play off each other so well. I think that a Nick/Andy pairing is something I could really invest into!!!

21. bristow3269 says:

First let me say Andy & Nick as friends yes Any & Nick as couple NO!!

22. ‘Rookie Blue’ Season 4 Spoilers — Missy Peregrym on Andy/Sam, New Girlfriend – TVLine [url=http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=562&]914World.com -> Suzanne2’s Blog[/url%5

23. Judy Carroll says:

I hate Cruz and won’t watch another minute of the show until u get rid of her – it sickens me to watch Sam with her – love the idea of Luke returning to fight for Andy and Sam getting riled with jealousy – let me know when cruz and Sam break-up and i will start watching again – big mistake RB writers – like everyone says – u moved Sam on way to fast – just stupid and that girl is just not pretty like Andy

• bristow3269 says:

I cannot wait for Sam & Marlo’s break-up either talk about boring.

• S says:

Sam and Marlo are a big bore. Sam and Andy brings out the best of both of them. Chemistry is what has worked on this show. Sam and Marlo have no chemistry whatsoever. Can’t wait to see them back together. We waited a long 9 months to see it happen and what do we get boredom with Sam and Marlo. I think Sam is seeing how much he is missing in Andy. Come on Andy put her in her place. Show her what you got.

24. Marla says:

Yes, I agree with you.

25. Michelle says:

I am a total Nick and Andy fan. I want that to happen for awhile lol. I loved her with Luke then he had to cheat on her, which made me hate Jo sooooo much. Then I was okay with her with Sam I thought McNally’s “I Love you” scene was adorable, but as soon as he dumped her like that I hated Sam for her. I thought she could to better. And the break_up buddy scene with Nick made me love him for her. I think they’re equals. Denise can move away and Chris and Gail can get bakc together or something lol.

26. t86 says:

yeah, i like the chemistry with Sam and Andy, but when they were oficially together in last season, i think was too much drama, and less fun. and i think couples needs this balance, so things could work out better. Sam needs to deal with his insecurities. About Andy/Nick, i like that chemistry too, and i like this connection. Their scenes together are great. Season 4, so far, looks great. Can’t wait to see more. love this show!

27. Nadia says:

I want Sam and Andy to get back get togethere but if she doesn’t end up with Sam she can date nick that would also be nice

28. sherry says:

NO Andy and Nick for me. Sam and Andy is all wait and watch and pine for. Hope they are together soon!

29. Kali says:

Not feeling Nick and Andy at all…as a couple. I’m not a big fan of Nick’s looks at Andy either, especially becaue I really believe that Sam and Andy just belong together. It’s true…they’re different, but they put themselves out there for each other a million times and they have true love for each other, although I will admit that they’re having trouble succesfully communicating those feelings to each other in a timely fashion. But that is half the fun :)
    So, Sam and Andy it is for me…they were meant to be from that epic moment where Andy cuffed him not knowing he was an officer from her own division. Every interaction between them is the best part of Rookie Blue.

30. bjanes says:

I for one started watching this show becuase Sam and Andy I found to be intriguing. The chemistry is there and what is wrong with putting 2 people together, showing how they can work through their issues, and grown and develop into a great relationship that involves both personal and professional lives. If you do not put Andy and Sam back together, I will quit watching the show. Luke should never come back – he was horrible and Marlo Cruz is terrible. Please end the relationship with her and Sam soon and give viewers what they want – let the relationship between Sam and Andy develop and become a great thing -

31. Free stuff says:

I’ll right away seize your rss feed as I can not to find your email subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you’ve any?
    Please permit me understand so that I could subscribe.
    Thanks.

32. Mary says:

Are all the Luke and Andy fans forgetting that he cheated on her with his ex fiancee? That’s definately who she should be with – NOT! I agree Sam’s not perfect but they definately have chemistry and after everything they’ve been through I hope they find their way back. Not a fan of Marlo.

33. Stacy says:

I am a SANDY fan! Whenever they’re together it’s so interesting and they make me laugh. I LOVE nick but those saying he should be with Andy, how about Gail? She would be crushed.

34. Tasneem Mahomed says:

Sam and Andy Belong together. He Loves her truly and that’s the bottom Line. Jerrys death really affected him, and I think beyond it all, he was too afraid to allow himself to fall even more deeply in love with andy because he knew that he wudnt be able to handle it shud he lose her too. Bottom line, he does love andy and that will never change. Infact he is IN LOVE with Her!!! When she left, I don’t think its about not waiting for her, if he had too, I’m sure sam wud wait his whole life. I think its more about feeling that she deserved better then him. That’s the depth of his Love!!! Please writers Sam and Andy belong together, please don’t twist this any other way. They are meant for each other, and most importantly, they complete each other in every way!!! Sam may have more of this bad boy type of image, and andy is this good girl that is so well grounded, how can you not see that they complete each other!!! Please bring back SANDY

35. Estelle says:

Only recently started watching the series on my notebook, don’t have access to satelite tv and I must say I’m totally hooked. I am also a female cop and went through a similar relationship with my TO, unfortunately my relationship didn’t work out. But watching Andy and Sam going through this is bringing back so many memories. I’m done with the last episode of season three. And I haven’t stopped crying since. Where are we at currently? Did season four start and at which episode are you guys? I’m from South Africa so I think we are a bit behind?

36. LolaMac says:

Bring Sam and Andy back together.

37. katie says:

McSwarek<3 Sandy<3

38. Britt says:

I honestly love Andy and Sam together and I really didnt like how the writers broke them apart like that and have same get a new girlfriend, but that’s not going to stop me from watching the show. They have good stories for each of the episodes I find.

39. Andrea says:

I love Andy & Sam. The chemistry is so there. I think they should get back together and have them grow with each other; how they change each other. I don’t like the paring with Nick there nothing there like Sam & his new girlfriend. If she needs to b in a relationship for the time being before she gets back with Sam, let it b from outside the station

40. Jessica A says:

I really love Nick and Andy together. I mean like they’re so cute together, and I love how they’re both so happy when they’re with each other. But I also love Sam and Nadt together too. But I really think they need a break from each other. Nick and Andy all the way.

41. Vanessa S says:

Hi I definitely think best match for Andy is Luke,yes he did cheat in her,but just a little reminder that she cheated on him as well with Sam on the blackout episode,they didn’t go further because the lights came on and Luke was calling her.Luke really loves Andy,as any relationship her started to really know her and eventually asked her to live with him,because like Sam himself said Luke is a reliable person and can give her a future.Yeah he had a moment of weakness,but he actually admitted that it was a mistake.And he is not afraid of telling his feelings and let Andy be herself.Andy and Sam they are perfect partners,but that’s it,they do have chemistry,but it’s a wild thing that it doesn’t have future,plus I think Sam is rough on Andy,he is not romantic, and please,from what I saw of this next episode on Thursday 22nd “Deception”,if he really care about Andy why ask her to cover up for Marlo when he knows it could led to Andy losing the job she loves so much and ruining her life.It was nice to see Andy with Sam,but that’s it,I don’t think they are the perfect match.Andy and Nick should be just friends,but I think they will realize that after a few episodes.
    Gail should be with Chris,they look good together.

42. Vanessa S says:

Bring Luke back for good to fight for Andy and marry her.

43. Mime says:

have Andy and Sam hook up…. have Andy get preggers… have them reconnect. Make Gail have a heart for once and marry Nick. I really wish that Andy would just get pregnant!!!! Please someone write that in

44. Gerry says:

this is a friendship gone a little too far, they have no chemistry, there is heart and soul with Andy and Sam, no way out, and I don’t want a way out. Just watch the shows, and see the looks, touches, and passion, they have for one another. The actors do an amazing job, making this seem so real.