Big Bang, Horror Story, Parks & Rec, Good Wife, The Americans Lead Critics Choice Nominations

Critics Choice Television Nominations 2013The critics have spoken, and they’re big fans of The Big Bang Theory and American Horror Story: Asylum.

Nominations for the third annual Critics’ Choice Television Awards were announced early Wednesday and CBS’ comedy phenom and FX’s creepy anthology scored a leading six nods apiece.

PHOTOS & VIDEO | Fall TV Preview: Your Complete Guide to What’s New

In addition to securing one of the six best comedy series slots, Big Bang saw five of its actors recognized, including Jim Parsons, Kaley Cuoco, Simon Helberg, Melissa Rauch and guest star Bob Newhart. AHS: A, meanwhile, scored nominations for best movie/miniseries, lead actress Jessica Lange and supporting players James Cromwell, Zachary Quinto, Sarah Paulson and Lily Rabe.

FX’s rookie cold war saga The Americans made a strong showing with four nominations, including best drama series, best lead actor (Matthew Rhys), best lead actress (Keri Russell) and best supporting actor (Noah Emmerich).

RELATED | 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What Got Axed?

Other series landing multiple nominations include NBC’s Parks and Recreation and Sundance’s Top of the Lake with five each, and AMC’s Breaking Bad, HBO’s Game of Thrones, CBS’ The Good Wife, FX’s Louie, Fox’s New Girl and USA’s ill-fated Political Animals with four each.

Three recently cancelled series — TNT’s Southland, HBO’s Enlightened and ABC’s Happy Endings — received two nods apiece.

Among the first-time nominees: Bunheads‘ Sutton Foster, Parenthood‘s Monica Potter, Dexter‘s Jennifer Carpenter, New Girl‘s Jake Johnson, Orphan Black‘s Tatiana Maslany, Bates Motel‘s Vera Farmiga, Happy Endings‘ Adam Pally, Suburgatory‘s Carly Chaikin, Modern Family‘s Sarah Hyland and The Walking Dead‘s Andrew Lincoln.

RELATED | 2012 Critics Choice Television Awards: The Complete Winners List

The Broadcast Television Journalists Association, of which TVLine’s Michael Ausiello serves on the executive committee and Matt Webb Mitovich and Megan Masters are members, will announce the winners at a June 10 awards gala in Beverly Hills hosted by Parks and Recreation scene-stealer/Twitter superstar Retta. (For the first time the award show will be webcast live on UStream.) Until then, scan the complete list of nominations below and then hit the comments and let us know what you think!

BEST COMEDY SERIES
The Big Bang Theory
Louie
The Middle
New Girl
Parks and Recreation
Veep

BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Don Cheadle (House of Lies)
Louis C.K. (Louie)
Jake Johnson (New Girl)
Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory)
Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation)
Jeremy Sisto (Suburgatory)

BEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
Laura Dern (Enlightened)
Zooey Deschanel (New Girl)
Lena Dunham (Girls)
Sutton Foster (Bunheads)
Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Veep)
Amy Poehler (Parks and Recreation)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Max Greenfield (New Girl)
Simon Helberg (The Big Bang Theory)
Alex Karpovsky (Girls)
Adam Pally (Happy Endings)
Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation)
Danny Pudi (Community)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
Carly Chaikin (Suburgatory)
Kaley Cuoco (The Big Bang Theory)
Sarah Hyland (Modern Family)
Melissa Rauch (The Big Bang Theory)
Eden Sher (The Middle)
Casey Wilson (Happy Endings)

BEST GUEST PERFORMER IN A COMEDY SERIES
Melissa Leo (Louie)
David Lynch (Louie)
Bob Newhart (The Big Bang Theory)
Patton Oswalt (Parks and Recreation)
Molly Shannon (Enlightened)
Patrick Wilson (Girls)

BEST DRAMA SERIES
The Americans
Breaking Bad
Downton Abbey
Game of Thrones
The Good Wife
Homeland

BEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad)
Damian Lewis (Homeland)
Andrew Lincoln (The Walking Dead)
Timothy Olyphant (Justified)
Matthew Rhys (The Americans)
Kevin Spacey (House of Cards)

BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Claire Danes (Homeland)
Vera Farmiga (Bates Motel)
Julianna Margulies (The Good Wife)
Tatiana Maslany (Orphan Black)
Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men)
Keri Russell (The Americans)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Jonathan Banks (Breaking Bad)
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Game of Thrones)
Michael Cudlitz (Southland)
Noah Emmerich (The Americans)
Walton Goggins (Justified)
Corey Stoll (House of Cards)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Jennifer Carpenter (Dexter)
Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones)
Anna Gunn (Breaking Bad)
Regina King (Southland)
Monica Potter (Parenthood)
Abigail Spencer (Rectify)

BEST GUEST PERFORMER IN A DRAMA SERIES
Jim Beaver (Justified)
Jane Fonda (The Newsroom)
Martha Plimpton (The Good Wife)
Carrie Preston (The Good Wife)
Diana Rigg (Game of Thrones)
Jimmy Smits (Sons of Anarchy)

BEST MOVIE OR MINISERIES
American Horror Story: Asylum
Behind the Candelabra
The Crimson Petal and the White
The Hour
Political Animals
Top of the Lake

BEST ACTOR IN A MOVIE OR MINISERIES
Benedict Cumberbatch (Parade’s End)
Matt Damon (Behind the Candelabra)
Michael Douglas (Behind the Candelabra)
Toby Jones (The Girl)
Al Pacino (Phil Spector)
Dominic West (The Hour)

BEST ACTRESS IN A MOVIE OR MINISERIES
Angela Bassett (Betty & Coretta)
Romola Garai (The Hour)
Rebecca Hall (Parade’s End)
Jessica Lange (American Horror Story: Asylum)
Elisabeth Moss (Top of the Lake)
Sigourney Weaver (Political Animals)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A MOVIE OR MINISERIES
James Cromwell (American Horror Story: Asylum)
Peter Mullan (Top of the Lake)
Zachary Quinto (American Horror Story: Asylum)
Sebastian Stan (Political Animals)
David Wenham (Top of the Lake)
Thomas M. Wright (Top of the Lake)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A MOVIE OR MINISERIES
Ellen Burstyn (Political Animals)
Sienna Miller (The Girl)
Sarah Paulson (American Horror Story: Asylum)
Lily Rabe (American Horror Story: Asylum)
Imelda Staunton (The Girl)
Alfre Woodard (Steel Magnolias)

BEST REALITY SERIES

Face Off
Shark Tank
So You Think You Can Dance
Survivor
The Voice

BEST REALITY HOST
Tom Bergeron (Dancing With the Stars)
Cat Deeley (So You Think You Can Dance)
Gordon Ramsay (Hell’s Kitchen/Masterchef)
RuPaul (RuPaul’s Drag Race)
Ryan Seacrest (American Idol)
Kurt Warner (The Moment)

Regular Show
The Simpsons
Star Wars: The Clone Wars

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Awards

1. Jack S says:

Very pleased to see Tatiana Maslany getting so much love here! Just caught up on Orphan Black in two days and she is a star, can only pray that this nomination is repeated come Emmy time.

2. pakshet says:

YES to Jake Johnson’s nomination. Hope this bodes well for his (and the New Girl crew’s) Emmy chances.

3. Sunny says:

This is a pretty solid list of nominations except for the glaring lack of Scandal nominations!!

4. Meg says:

I think Justified should be nominated in the Best Drama category. But I am very happy that the actors were recognized!

5. KD says:

I wonder if there should be separate categories for cable shows and network shows. Network shows are not going to be able have all the nudity, violence and sex that the cable shows will allow, and many times they get overlooked.

It would be nice to recognize some of the dramas that the majority of people can watch and not just the select few with cable: Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, Parenthood, NCIS, Blue Bloods, just to name a few.

• Fran says:

I see this argument all the time and I guess see both sides. I don’t think nudity, violence or sex are necessary to have a good show. I tend to think it’s more the episode size than anything. Cable shows get far less and there stories are able to move along much more quickly. Having 20+ episodes means that the storylines get dragged along and we end up with a lot of filler. I don’t know, just my opinion. And for the record, I don’t actually have cable. I watch all these shows online and it’s hard to deny that for the most part they really are far better than network shows.

• Mike R. says:

It’s much more than sex and nudity, that make cable shows better than network television, it has much more to do with superior writing and acting.

• Holly says:

I respectfully disagree as I don’t feel it’s the sex, nudity and violence that make shows great, but rather solid writing and acting. Some of the network shows are perfectly okay… but they’re not doing anything spectacular or truly masterful when compared to the ones nominated.

6. Colleen says:

For as much love as Scandal was getting from the critics, I am surprised to see it not there.

• Ellen says:

It’s called jumping on the Scandal hype bandwagon. Everyone wants to sell magazines and get hits on their websites for this mediocre show. When it begins the downward spiral (when Shonda Rhimes runs out of things to recycle) it will be uglier than the critics trashing of Season 2 of Girls, the little darling with the critics Season 1.

7. carly says:

No Kunal Nayyar from Big Bang? That is just wrong.

• Elenagreece says:

Maybe it’s not so wrong. The actor is very good, but the writers just messed up with this part in this season. I am sorry to say that they made a once lovable character, boring, unfunny, and even creepy. They labeled him as a constant failure, and I think he deserved much more than this…

• Raven says:

I agree, Kunal is fantastic but Raj is all over the place. The writers need to figure out a direction for him. Like you said Kunal deserves more.
        However I’m excited about next season now that he can talk to women. That opens up a lot of options.

8. Nicole says:

No Matt Czuchry for supporting actor? What a shame, he really did some of his best work yet this year, and he just keeps getting better! What will it take for him to be recognized?

9. Chris says:

I don’t get the Veep love — would much rather see recognition of Shameless and Emmy Rossum. Great to see Lily Rabe,and Eden Sher though.

10. Mrs. Peele says:

As usual the same old shows every year. Come on guys! Don’t these critics watch anything else? Shows like Supernatural, NCIS (both) CSI, Castle, Bones and others have been on for a long time, but not a mention. I do agree that Vera (Bates Motel) and Tatiana (Orphan Black) deserved nominations and I also agree with some of the others. Jim Beaver was outstanding in Supernatural especially in his ‘At Death’s Door’ from an earlier season. But he was nominated for Justified. Jared Padalecki, Jensen Ackles and Misha Collins always give more than 100%. The actors in the established, long running shows, have proven themselves over and over again and are ignored! I think we need some other ‘critics’ on this panel.

• Mike R. says:

That’s what it is for almost every award show, the same shows get nominated each year for the Emmys too. At least these people seem to have good taste.

• Jane says:

Well Jim Beaver deserves it for Justified. But I know what you mean, Those shows will never get the nominations. At least these are far better picks than the Emmy’s usually give us.

• Liza180 says:

I agree. Buffy was ALWAYS snubbed and it had some of the BEST writing on TV and it still holds up ten years later. Supernatural has been overlooked for so long yet some of the best acting comes from that cast. I still think it was a HUGE mistake to kill off Bobby. Who’s idea was that? Poor, poor decision. Nurse Jackie was left off, too. Merritt Wever and Bobby Canavale are SOOOO good in the show.

11. Fabe says:

I never get why Parenthood isn’t nominated for Best Drama Series. It’s amazing. However, I’m so happy for Monica Potter! Mae Whitman should have been nominated in season 2, but I’ll take what I can get! Also, yay Happy Endings!

12. Sara says:

Im so Happy about Tatiana’s nom for Orphan Black. Brilliant show wtih some top notch acting by Tatiana. She really deserves to win

13. Mike R. says:

Please give awards to Amy Poelher, Adam Pally, Parks an Recreation, Diana Rigg, and Nikolai-Coster Waldau. They all deserve it, and were amazing this past year.

14. Jared says:

I’m sorry, but MARIE?!?!?! As in the Marie Osmond talk show on the freaking Hallmark channel?!

And SUTTON FOSTER?! In the same category as the likes of Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Amy Poehler?!

These people have lost their minds!!!!!!

• Liza180 says:

Sutton Foster drove me crazy. I watched one ep of Bunheads and turned it off.

• lyn says:

Thank you! Sutton Foster stinks. She has the worst posture I’ve ever seen on a dancer. She totally lacks the charisma of Lauren Graham and her role on the show paints her as easy. The entire show is a feeble attempt to recapture ASP’s glory years with Gilmore Girls and recycling the GG cast through the show hasn’t helped.

15. Plum says:

Yay, Sutton! Bunheads had a terrific season two, so glad to see Sutton get props. And happy for Noah Emmerich and The Americans, each ep is a gutwrenching edge of your seat thriller.

16. Jane says:

So happy for Jim Beaver. He was great on Justified. But he will always be Bobby from Supernatural to me.

17. Plum says:

And Sir Jaime gets a nod, wonderful news for Nicolaj Coster-Waldau, he’s been phenomenal this season.

18. Mike R. says:

Is it really fair to call American Horror Story a miniseries?!

• Fran says:

Yeah I think that’s really reaching. I guess they consider it that since since the characters are different from season to season, but I would never call 12 episodes a miniseries.

19. valeriel40 says:

I’m surprised Justified isn’t on here for Best Drama. I’m glad AHS is getting so much love! I love seeing actors like Jim Beaver, Regina King & Carrie Preston on this list!

• Liza180 says:

I was thinking the same thing! Justified is WAY better than the Americans which I thought was meh. Its okay and I watch it, but I don’t look forward to it like I do Justified or Supernatural or The Good Wife and Castle.

20. Fran says:

For the most part these are by far better than the Emmys. I love that Jim Beaver was nominated for Justified and Tatiana Maslany for Orphan Black. I just wish Emmy Rossum would get one for Shameless. She just keeps getting better and better on that show and never gets any love.

21. mimi says:

Ummmm…I already know these awards are a farce because there’s no SCANDAL anywhere…whack, just whack!

22. Liza180 says:

So glad to see Eden Sher nominated! I would have thought Justified would be nominated before The Americans. The latter is kind of meh to me. Otherwise, it was a good list. Jim Beaver for Justified is outstanding!

23. Liza180 says:

Kind of bummed Castle isn’t on the list at all. That is always a consistently good show. But I guess it doesn’t really fit the comedy or drama categories because its a dramedy.

• Raven says:

Yeah Castle is a fantastic show! I think Molly Quinn should have been nominated for this season. Especially the kidnapping episodes.

24. Carol says:

So glad “Suburgatory” was recognized!

25. ano says:

i don’t know what’s more surprising, the fact that modern family didn’t get best comedy nomination or sarah hyland got the nomination over sofia vergara and julie bowen.

on another note, really glad new girl got many nods, the show really grew on me this season. i hope at least new girl and zooey got the nomination on emmy this year(since on comedy actors emmy voters seemed to very loyal to veteran nominees)

26. Spencer says:

I’m so glad Parks is finally getting some love from someone!!! A little bummed Aubrey didn’t get nominated, but so happy for Adam!

27. Raven says:

I never would have considered Kaley Cuoco a supporting actress. Strange she falls into that category. Esp when Kaley, Jim and Johnny all make the same $.

• lyn says:

I think Kaley chose to go with supporting because she’d have a better chance of winning. The lead actress category has some heavy hitters.

28. Raven says:

I love AHS:A!! It was sooo creepy. And I really love how every season AHS can use the same cast but have a new storyline each time. That’s very creative. I can’t wait for AHS: Coven

29. Cecelia says:

Possibly a dumb question, but was Bunheads renewed? I checked the Renewal Scorecard but didn’t see it listed.

30. YowzaPowza says:

Happy to see Tatiana Maslany, Monica Potter and Keri Russell nominated. All very much deserved.

31. Jeannine says:

How could Mandy Patinkin’s name have been left off of the “Homeland” nominations?!?!

32. what the what! no Connie, no Hayden and no ROBIN?!

33. JAmandaFan says:

Nominations for Parks ad Rec, Community, Happy Endings, Parenthood, Veep AND Wild Things–finally an Awards show I can get behind! Thanks Critics for liking good tv!!

34. Carolyn G says:

IS GRACE PARKS GONE FOR GOOD FROM HAWAII FIVE O?

35. schu says:

Happy Endings and Parenthood finally getting some love! Yay! Best news of the day!
    Thoroughly shocked Modern Family got zip. Although I don’t watch them, I would venture to guess Veep and Girls are just as “overrated” as people say Modern Family is (although IMO they would be wrong on that account, on the fourth season I still laugh out loud every episode) I just get disappointed when “fashionable” (aka crude) HBO shows get more “credit” solely because it’s HBO

36. yeah says:

wut? Dominic West for the best actor for The Hour? o_O are they completely nuts, where’s Ben Whishaw? unbelievable.

also, here’s to max greenfield finally getting this thing, he’s long due.

37. Piper says:

Since when is Kaley Cuoco considered “supporting” on Big Bang?

38. cjeffery7 says:

Jennifer Carpenter and Tatiana Maslany! YES YES and YESSSSSSSS. i’m also VERY cool with Monica Potter.

39. Charlotte says:

Michael Cudlitz. Is all I’m saying.

40. corey says:

more love should have been thrown Walking Deads way.!!!!

41. GeoDiva says:

Really happy for The MIddle and Political Animals. Do agree that Jeff Perry from Scandal and Robin Wright from House of Cards got shafted and can not believe nothing for Fringe’s final season!

42. Paul says:

I am shocked by the near shut out of Modern Family. Also surprised The Amazing Race didn’t make the cut.

43. GTS says:

Yay! Some Parks and Rec love.

44. Tama says:

So happy to see Monica Potter and Tatiana Maslany on that list.

45. Tania says:

I am happy and pulling for Carrie Preston to win Best Guest Performer in a Drama Series.

46. bobbie lou says:

Who I want to win:
    Kevin Spacey
    Al Pacino
    Carrie Preston
    Bob Newhart
    The Hour
    The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

Other than those, I really don’t care. Homeland always wins, and I don’t watch it. Maybe I should swallow my anger over HS spying on citizens (in their bedroom!) and try to watch it but I might not have any more success than I had trying to watch ’24′.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

This is only the second year Homeland has been nominated for CCA award, so they’ve only won once before. That doesn’t really count as “always”. :) Though now I’m realizing you probably meant they always win all the awards like the Emmys and the Golden Globes. You should give Homeland a try. It’s fantastic. It’s a lot different from 24. The suspense, the performances, and the sexual chemistry between Danes and Lewis are what make it a real treat to watch.

47. Britta Unfiltered says:

Here’s what they got wonderfully and beautifully correct: Walton Goggins, Jim Beaver, and Timothy Olyphant for Justified, David Lynch and Melissa Leo for Louie, the show Louie, Louis C.K., Eden Sher, Jonathan Banks, Michael Cudlitz, and Jennifer Carpenter. Also the serious lack of Downton Abbey acting nominations. Thank you for that, critics.
    Here’s who sadly is missing: Jon Hamm, Walton Goggins for Sons of Anarchy, Boardwalk Empire, Bobby Cannavale and Kelly MacDonald for Boardwalk Empire, Matt LeBlanc, Adam Driver, Parker Posey for Louie, Louis C.K. for his SNL appearance, Mad Men, Jeff Daniels, Jon Hamm, Christina Hendricks, Girls, Mandy Patinkin (how dare you, critics, on that omission), Aaron Paul, Peter Dinklage, many Justified guest stars such as Patton Oswalt, Abby Miller, and Ron Eldard, and Ray Romano for Parenthood.
    Here’s what shouldn’t have been nominated: New Girl, anything for Suburgatory, an actress from Bunheads?, the glut of Big Bang Theory nominations (but I happily give you Bob Newhart), Patrick Wilson, Downton Abbey, and anything for The Good Wife (but I’ll give you Carrie Preston).
    These are of course all my opinions. I realize others will think differently, so no need to attack me for anything. I accept others think differently and enjoy different things than I do. Though I do have to say to those of you who are up in arms over the lack of Castle nominations…you guys are adorable. Don’t ever change.

48. Joel V says:

Category Fraud: Sarah Paulson did not have a supporting role. She deserves to be nominated with Lange in leading. Their work was stupendous this past season.

Glad to see “Happy Endings” get the love it so richly deserves. Fingers crossed for a 4th season in cable-land.

Sad to see “Smash” not get any mentions. I’m guessing it missed cutoff eligibility since the finale is this Sunday. Hilty and Messing (who’s doing some of her strongest work yet) are very deserving.

49. Leah says:

Wow! I actually have no major complaints. This is impressive. Wouldn’t it be nice if Emmy did even half as good of a job as this? Really pleased they spread the comedy love around. Always rooting for Parks, Happy Endings, and New Girl no matter who it is.

50. Babygate says:

I put very little stock on any kind of awards because they mostly reflect the preferences of a very limited group, but I do agree with the nomination for Tatiana Maslany. How she manages to, week after week, portray so many different characters in such a masterful way is beyond belief. She should be recognized.
    The Good Wife is good but enough with all the nominations. There are other excellent dramas. By this time I’m inclined to believe that there’s some kind of agenda going on. Where are the nominations for Scandal which excels not only acting and writing but also in photography, direction and editing.

• Holly says:

Scandal is good, but IMO not as strong or consistent as most of those that received nominations. It’s a decent show, but there were some really great ones out there that are stronger.