Chicago Fire Finale Recap: Baby Fever! [Updated]

Chicago Fire - Season 1NBC’s Chicago Fire put out the flames on Season 1 on Wednesday with a finale that found the firefighters defusing a volatile prison situation.

RELATED | NBC Orders Chicago Fire Spin-Off

On the personal side, Shay’s attempt to get pregnant doesn’t take, while Hermann’s wife goes into labor with a little one of her own. An emergency C-section is required and the baby isn’t getting enough oxygen, but it all works out in the end. Although Shay and Severide aren’t having a kid, they become godparents to Hermann’s son. Then Renée returns to reveal she’s preggers with Severide’s child! Poor Shay is left on the outs as the two embrace and appear to be starting their own family.

On the romance front, Mills asks Dawson to tell him she doesn’t have feelings for Casey.

“I can’t tell you what you need to hear,” she replies. “It wouldn’t be the truth.”

RELATED | Fall TV Schedule 2013 — What’s On When? And Against What?

Bruising the young firefighter’s ego even more is the fact that he didn’t make the rescue squad. In response, he goes to the Chicago Police Department training center to pick up an application. Is Mills heading to the spin-off?!

Finally, Dawson checks in on Casey at home and finds him living in a pigsty, basically.

“Nothing makes sense,” says a grief-stricken Casey, breaking down in Dawson’s arms. So hold off on your ‘shipper squees because it looks like it’s going to be a long road for these two.

Hit the comments with your thoughts on all the action in the season ender and grade the episode via the poll below.

1. alex says:

That was awesome. But OMG Shay :( I love her the most and she’s so cute but she can’t get anything she wants. lol she should just get a girlfriend first and then go for a baby.
    Very intense episode

2. Guest says:

Wow! Royce back and pregnant! Can you imagine Kelly’s face if both Shay and Royce ended up pregnant? This is the triangle I want to see next season. Who cares about Mills? Go to Chicago PD. Give me more Severide drama!

• JC says:

And they ruined the surprise of her return by putting Sarah Shahi’s name in the opening credits. I hate when they do that!

• Guest says:

Yeah, noticed that too. Happy to see it though. Some spoilers had said a former love interest was returning. Glad it was Royce and not the first Renee. Haha. I wonder how many episodes she’ll be in because I think she’s been upgraded to a regular next season on Person of Interest.

• alex says:

I’d be down for that if Renee and Shay got into each other. Shay has the hots for her,

• Brian Sonenthal says:

A few people have commented that Sarah is signed to another show in a different area of the country which makes me think… does she maybe die during the birth, and Kelly gets the baby with Shay in a sort of mother role? Kind of the reverse of what they were looking for, with Kelly as the dad but not 100% involved….. Guess we’ll have to wait.

3. Bobby says:

Happy to see a Chicago Fire recap! Loved the finale and so unbelievably happy to see Sarah Shahi again. Pretty excited to see Mills going to Chicago PD too since it’ll give him some new life and more to do now that Dawson’s chosen Casey. Huge fan of season one from the first day the pilot was put out for early viewing and can’t wait to see what they do next year.

4. can't wait for season two says:

So happy everything worked out well for the Hermann’s but I feel really bad for Shay. I felt even worse for Casey after seeing how he’s been dealing with Hallie’s death. I can’t say I felt bad for Mills since I think he knew Dawson’s true feelings for Casey all along. I guess that doesn’t make it hurt any less though. This has been such a great first and it looks like they’ve set up some good storylines for season 2. Can’t wait!

• Soopah-Soopah-Soopah says:

Well, not everything worked out for them, the bar Christopher owns 1/3 of is basically going to be run out of business by that new sports bar (unless of course they turn it into the new cop/fire bar).

5. HeatherC says:

I loved the finale tonight and I’m so glad you guys are doing a recap! I was on the edge of my seat for the whole episode. My heart broke for Shay when she found out she wasn’t pregnant and I am SO relieved that Hermann’s family is all right. Loved that they picked Shay and Severide to be Kenny’s godparents! =) The jail stuff was incredibly intense but I thought the guys all handled themselves very well. Loved Mouch and Otis being the heroes and getting the power back on! I’m kind of glad Dawson and Mills are staying broke up because she’s never gotten over her feelings for Casey and he has a lot to deal with regarding his family stuff now. Did he really go to the CPD for an application!? Somehow I missed that part. I think I was most impressed with how they showed Casey tonight. He was brilliant in dealing with the jail crisis and protecting his guys but that ending where we found out that he had pretty much fallen apart away from work was SO heartbreaking. I’m glad Dawson is the one who found him because their friendship has always been shown to be strong and I think she might be the only one who can help him make sense of things again. I also really loved how those last scenes were done along with Hermann talking to his little boy about life. That was beautifully done. Love this show so much! =)

• Patrick Devereaux says:

So, you liked the scene with Hermann talking to his little boy, huh? That’s my little son Derek in his TV debut.

• HeatherC says:

Aww, how cute! He did a wonderful job with David E. in all of their scenes together. Congrats on your little one’s TV debut! =)

• Lauren says:

What a precious little guy! You must be so proud! The episode was incredible and I can’t wait to see what happens when the show starts up again. Will your baby be back? I hope so.

• Patrick Devereaux says:

Oh, and also, just out of curiosity, did you notice that they switched babies in the scene? A little girl played “Baby Kenny” in the first few shots. Then they switched to my son Derek in the final shots (Kenny in Hermann’s lap). I’m just curious because I noticed the baby-switch instantly (my own baby, of course). But, due to film scheduling and stuff like that, they couldn’t actually use my boy Derek in every clip. I wonder how obvious the baby-switch was to someone who wasn’t looking at his own son.

Anyway, thanks to everyone on the show for picking my boy to be “Baby Kenny.” It’ll be his 45 seconds of fame that will be fun to look back on when he’s old enough to have a good smile about it.

6. Beth says:

The only thing that sucked about that episode was this was the last time I get to see a new Chicago Fire until fall! Loved it all around! Felt so bad for shay :(. I feel like Mills is being a huge baby by applying to the Chicago PD, he is a candidate, keep trying and get over your daddy issues. Dawson and Casey was so genuine, he acts strong at work but the fact he could just be vunerable and let her comfort him sets up something good for season two. Chicago fire is my favorite new show this year and I can’t wait for more.

7. Shaun says:

This show gets super depressing most eps.Where are the mostly positive ones?I find myself musing on how all these huge events happen on the same day,lol.

8. Taylor says:

Chicago Fire ended up becoming one of my top favorite TV shows this season. I would love it if Vlada Gelman or other TVLine reporters continued to do recaps for Chicago Fire once season 2 starts in the fall. Regardless, of what you decide to do, thank you for doing a recap of Chicago Fire’s season finale. I love this show so much. :)

9. Ryan says:

I thought it was a great episode and well done. But the one question I had is did it seem like Shay has true feelings for Severide like more than just wanting the baby and wanting a relationship

10. Roni says:

I’m hoping and praying that Renee being pregnant means it’s the end to Shay’s ridiculous and offensive storyline. Please let Shay get a girlfriend next year. A real love interest. Who is a *woman*. Otherwise, I’m done with this show.

That being said, I really liked the end with Casey and Dawson. And may Sarah Shahi never leave my TV again.

• Dani says:

yes to everything in this comment!

• MaryAnn says:

Why is the story line ridiculous? It makes sense that she would want the father of her baby to be someone she cares for and can share raising the child with. There is no reason she can’t find a woman for a romantic interest to make her life complete.

• Will says:

Really? This comment is so stupid and ignorant. She chose Severide because she trusted him. Why does she need a woman? Just to please you? You can leave. Your fandom isn’t needed

• Ray says:

Ridiclous and offensive? The only thing ridiculous and offensive is your ignorance. Is it offensive she wanted a man she knew, trusted, and believes would be in the child’s life to be the father then a random man who will never meet his kid? She wanted something more personal, I don’t see that as ridiculous! I personally hope they continue to flesh out the Severide and Shay as parents story line because I think they make great parents and their friendship adds to it.

• Dan says:

Hey, she wanted Dawson to switch teams, who’s to say she can’t. Is she a genetic lesbian, an environmental lesbian, or a choice lesbian? Maybe she hasn’t found her bi side. Just sayin – don’t be so defensive, and DO NOT tell me that I do not know what I am talking about – I have personal experience and read tons of mainly unbiased scientific and psychological research in the area – just as you evidently have.

• Dan says:

Add-on – Once choice and environmental childhood and adolescent experiences are brought into play, sexuality is not often black and white.

11. Dani says:

it was really good, but the only thing i need to know right now is if this means sarah shahi’s staying on as a recurring character or if she’s gonna disappear again after that bb is born or something lame like that

• JC says:

She signed on to be a series regular on Person of Interest next season, so it will be difficult for her to recur on Chicago Fire, especially since they are filmed in different cities. So yeah, I bet she will disappear again.

12. sarah says:

This has become one of my must watch shows the season. Well written, well acted and just got better and better ever episode. I’m on for Chicago PD next season and can’t wait to see what happens on Chicago Fire. This show may have seem generic at the beginning of the year but has developed into one of the most consistent enjoyable shows of the year. Well done to everyone involved.

13. Fabe says:

I saw the pilot in the fall and didn’t really watch again until I saw that the first 17 episodes were On Demand. I felt like I was addicted to crack. I could not stop watching! So glad I caught up!

14. M3rc Nate says:

Does anyone know how Sarah Shahi is going to be on CF and be full time on Person of Interest?

Btw how lucky are you to F around for years getting woman after woman, and then end up with Sarah Shahi, fall in love, have a insanely hot relationship, then she leaves (tears) and comes back pregnant and so you can finally be together? Jeepers.

15. Jericho says:

I feel so guilty b/c I hate the fact that Sarah Shahi got series regular status on Person of Interest b/c it means that she won’t be around next season on Chicago Fire. I’m hoping she’ll be able to make an appearance, as I truly liked her as Renee, but I’m happy she’ll be a regular staple on TV again.

• M3rc Nate says:

100% agree, especially because if she hadnt, i bet she would have gotten series regular (or super guest star) on CF because she was PERFECT with him, and he was in love with her and it was the real deal…so it would have been the most real relationship on the whole show, and also had to that hes in a committed relationship with her and shes pregnant/has his baby…there were so many amazing stories that could have been told! I almost wish they would re-cast the role instead of having her guest S2E01 and finding a way to write her out then she pops back up in episode….idk 19 or something then is gone forever.

• Guest says:

Yes! Royce/Severide was definitely the best relationship on the show. They were falling in love and so many possibilities for season two. Chicago Fire should have picked her up as a regular before Person of Interest.

• YES! I like her better on CF, too :( I LOVE Renée! Though I like to call her Carmen, because she looks exactly like Carmen Sandiego in that red overcoat.

16. SC says:

I can’t believe Dawson and Mills didn’t get back together!!! so sad! they are meant to be

• MaryAnn says:

Dawson has been in love with Casey since before she and Mills ever hooked up.

• wrstlgirl says:

True but she needs to stop “pining” for him. It’s a huge turn off when it’s obvious he’s either busy elsewhere or in no way ready for a relationship. Unless there’s a time jump between seasons I don’t expect them to be a “couple” next season.

17. Eli says:

Glad to see Chicago Fire back to its normal ways. Last week was just awful in every sense for me.

18. Magically Suspicious says:

I like Dawson with Mills SOOO much more than with Casey.

I was looking forward to the spin-off, but after last week’s episode when they began to spin the ‘Oops! Voight isn’t really bad! Just Kidding!’ angle, it feels forced and I’m not as interested. If they pull Mills out of the firehouse, it will take away so much of the fun drama. I’m fine if they use him in both shows for the first few episodes to create buzz, but I want him to stay at the firehouse and fight for Dawson. I wasn’t on board with that relationship at first, but they sizzle together and it caused his character to step up and play the game…..a boy to a man, if you will.

19. Michelle says:

Yay for a recap! I love this show. But seriously, BOO Peter Mills. What is he, 12? First, he gets angry about Dawson telling him a secret that wasn’t even hers to tell, then he demands that she say she doesn’t have feelings for Casey (which is obvious to people who have EYEBALLS), then runs off to the PD when he doesn’t get his dream job on the first try. Because running away from your problems is healthy. I hope he does go to the spin off, so I don’t have to deal with his childishness anymore!

• wrstlgirl says:

Put yourself in his shoes for a minute. If your boyfriend had that type of secret and kept it from you are you saying that you would be fine with that? And “asking” Dawson about Casey was well within his right given as you say “it is obvious to people who have EYEBALLS”. He deserved the truth from her.

20. wrstlgirl says:

Dawson’s pining for Casey is irritating, at least with Mills she had something to build on. Not saying that I like one or the other better it’s just the whole thing in general. I don’t see them becoming a couple anytime soon. Casey has a lot of emotions to deal with and yeah, he’s gonna lean on Dawson’s friendship which could actually hurt their chances of ever becoming a couple in the long run. They are best friends and they work together, two big bads that will come between them.

21. Aip says:

I think Casey needs lots of time after 8 years that ended so tragically for him. I wish it had been Kelly there at the end for him b/c I think he needs a friend wihtout an romantic agenda there for him and I’ve never been a casey/dawson fan ever. They are too wooden together and have no chemistry. So am hoping in season 2 her and mills come back to their senses. if casey does get someone he’ll want a famly, dawson wants a career – once again it would be a woman doing what casey wants not what she and casey want together. So hopefully they build on the casey/severide friendship in season 2 more that’s what we need more of – our two main stars acting like the buddies on screen they are in RL!

• wrstlgirl says:

Now that it appears Severide’s baby plate seems to be a bit complicated now, how about Casey fathering Shay’s baby. Now that would send ripples through a lot of “friendships” on the show.

22. I really, really love Renée! <3

23. Ruth says:

Casey loved Holly so much. Dawson should stop pinning for him and realize that if they become a couple, it will be on the rebound. She will always have to compete with Holly. If not Mills, she should try to find someone else. .

• Beth says:

Her name was Hallie :). But if you watch the episode where she came back, she knew that there was something there with Dawson and even asked Casey about it. To which he told her Dawson was with Mills. To me that seems that if she wasn’t around she would want him to be with Gabby. That’s why the writers did that in my opinion.

24. joy says:

Very good episode minus the dawson/casey part.. They would be so boring together. Really like mills but jeez he needs to get over what dawson did. Really Dawson seems more devastated than he does about their relationship being over. Poor Shay…All I have to say is kelly better get a dna test..

25. Amanda says:

I’m so glad I’m not the only one not feeling Dawson and Casey….I liked her a whole lot better with Mills. She seems like a little school girl around Casey and not in a good way. Like, I’m going to stalk the living daylights out of you kinda way. He makes her look desperate! I too wish that it had been Severide or Bolden who found Casey, that would’ve been more profound, especially Severide seeing how they started the season.
    I don’t blame Mills for asking her that, he was ready to get an apartment with her, he basically told her he loved her, he deserves it back! Like I don’t blame him for wanting out of the firehouse either. I the course of a year, he fell in love, got his heart broken; found out his boss slept with his mother; found out his father wasn’t as brave as everyone told him he was (his sole reason for becoming a firefighter) and he didn’t make squad. I think he handle it better than some other 20ish guys I know.

• wrstlgirl says:

I agree 100% but Dawson did tell Mills she loved him and wanted to move in with him but he also knew deep down that she had feelings for Casey and he deserved for her to be honest with him about that, I believe that’s why he asked her point blank. She is desperate for Casey to love her and it’s not attractive. I really think if they put those two in a relationship other than friends it will be boring as hell.

26. Hallie says:

The finale was ok but the whole shay baby thing was confusing i don’t get the point if renee was going to end up pg.

• Lora McAlister says:

I honestly think that Shay and Kelly have an attraction for each other, did you see him look at Shay when he hugged Renee, he looked at Shay like he was sorry and then kissed Renee on her forehead! I think that Kelly and Shay should get together!

27. david says:

Most of you don’t want Casey and Dawson together because it’s interracial. Admit it, lol. Gross.

28. smicky says:

This is ridiculous. For anyone who watches tv Dawson and Casey have great chemistry. They probably wont be together right away. But its been made clear he would have chosen her over Hallie. That’s why the writers had Casey and Hallie break up to establish that before they killed her so ti wouldn’t look like a rebound. And as for Renee she can go back to Person of Interest. I can’t stand her. She is pretentious and she has terrible chemistry with Kelly. This may seem ridiculous but Kelly and Shay are meant to be. Just because she says she is gay doesn’t mean at some point she couldn’t fall in love with a man. If anyone payed attention he looked just as unhappy as Shay at the end. That’s because they are in love. Like it or not!! No one looks at their best friends the way they look at each other!

• Cathy says:

Brilliant finale!!! i would say Season 2 must give Dawson and Casey a chance to heat up the vibe, tension between them again. Dawson to move in with him, watch over him , walk the healing road with him. The triangle Shay, Renee, Severide? Wow!! i cannot wait for Season 2!! Mills can go and maybe return at end of Season 2, where Casey maybe ask Dawson to marry him?
      Comments by Cat

• Cathy says:

i agree with you, Shay and Severide have that special connection. Mills oh my word is he 16 or what? It’s time for him to get over it. The baby thing with Renee oh please and she will leave again, maybe she will die, Severide and Shay will take the baby….. Dawson and Casey they need something to spice up their relationship/ friendship, we need some happiness that last more than a few episodes at least..
      An excellent series,

29. Brian says:

I love this show. I watched the pilot and every episode and cannot wait to see what is coming. Mills has to grow up, he is acting like a baby, very unattractive. Serveride is great, he is definitely in love with Renee, but I see more than just friendship in his eyes when it comes to Shay. Also, I don’t think it will happen, but I like Dawson with Casey. BTW, not sure how I missed it, but what ever happened to Casey’s mother besides him asking her to move?

30. Lorraine says:

Love this show. Was hooked from the first episode. Yeah some of the plot is like ER but with the fireman thing going on but the character build up is brilliant. I love that you get to find out more about each person as they go along and they don’t kill off or get rid of people after 2/3 episodes. It is a great balance if characters and I am looking forward to seeing the season finale.

31. I really love that Renee came back and happy to know that she is preggers with Severide’s child. I lreally ove Kelly and Renee as a couple in CF! :) Hope Sarah Shahi will have more appearances in the 2nd Season of CF. Looking forward to more Kelley and Renee’s lovestory in the 2nd season ‘coz i think Kelley loves her.:)

32. cm2772 says:

Loved the finale and looking forward to season 2 in the fall. I read that they were picked up for 22 episodes. Season 1 was 24, so wonder why they didn’t get 24. Here is what I hope for in Season 2:

Less Casey/Dawson drama. Don’t care and its boring.
    More insights into Mouch’s and Otis’s personal lives (new girlfriend, still thinking about leaving to go to another firehouse?)
    More about Kelly and Casey trying to repair friendship

And can someone write in a female firefighter to this mix? And please don’t bring in another female to either be a potential love interest or sexpot. Would love a strong, married mother type that has a tomboyish side in shape side(tri-athlete or runner). She can be cute and sexy, but the smart and strong should be put forward and shine first. Irks me that every female on this show has relationship issues, baby mama drama issues, does seven minutes in heaven wtih Kelly in the closet or sues the department for sexual harrasment. Its old. This show could benefit in having a stronger role model for female viewers.

33. Dan says:

Great final – pardon the late post. Should be interesting in season two from all angles. I do wonder if Shahi will be around long, since she is a reg for season 3 of Person of Interest- a ‘top dog’ show. She may miscarry, or disappear with the baby – or, as mentioned in an earlier post, die in childbirth, leaving Shay and Severide to fight for guardianship of the child against Renee’s parents. (Now that would be far out)

34. Sunaya says:

Dawson acts so damn immature around casey. Its so lame. She keeps making googly eyes at him. She lied to mills whenever she hung out with casey. But she also told mills she loved him. Mixed signals much? She led on mills. She could have directly told him she had feelings for casey. She’s so annoying! Some weird HERO complex.
    Casey wants kids. Dawson wants to go to med school. Hmmm…???
    I feel really bad for mills. I’d be heart broken if my bf hid something so big from me.

35. Katie says:

I think that shay and Kelly should hook up and Dawson and cacey should hook up all the people look great