John Barrowman to Host Celeb Singing Series

John_BarrowmanArrow villain John Barrowman is heading in a very different direction — as the host of ABC’s upcoming reality competition Sing Your Face Off, EW.com reports.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled?

The Torchwood alum isn’t new to the reality genre, having appeared as a judge on the UK series How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria? and Any Dream Will Do.

Former Saturday Night Live cast member Darrell Hammond and pop singer Debbie Gibson will serve as judges on Sing Your Face Off, in which five celebrity contestants learn to perform the hits of famous music stars.

Among the competitors are ex-Skid Row frontman Sebastian Bach, comedian Jon Lovitz, Toronto Raptors player Landry Fields, actress-singer China Anne McClain (A.N.T. Farm) and former soap star Lisa Rinna.

No air date has been announced yet for the six-episode series.

1. Adam says:

Is this series a US import of Your Face Sounds Familiar / Tu cara me suena? If so, I’ve seen the Spanish version, it was pretty entertaining and fun concept!

2. c-mo says:

How many reality shows has Lisa Rinna been on?

3. lll says:

Great for John Barrowman….I guess.

4. Joanna says:

Yeah we don’t have enough singing shows.

5. Tess says:

It sounds like other shows that have been on before over the years, but if Barrowman’s involved then I’ll at least give it a shot. Odd though that Darrell Hammond is a judge and Barrowman’s a host and not the other way around – Barrowman not only served as a judge on previous BBC shows looking to fill key roles in certain West End productions but also has had his own singing career, while Hammond’s only known for comedy and doing impressions…

• Sara says:

Since the premise of the show is that the contestants are learning to perform hits from other stars, I assume Hammond will be judging on their impressions of the artists. But yeah, I would rather John Barrowman was judging a show. He gives such wonderful advice and critiques!

6. DavidSask says:

This whole show is a nightmare from host to judge panel to cast, in now way shape or form should this ever have been green-lit or is needed it deserves to flop and not get near its finale!!!

7. mo says:

Let me get this straight….China Anne McClain in a singing competition…where she is taught how to perform. Have the producers ever watched TV with their kids? She already has that down. Not to mention this is just another DWTS….sigh….can someone do something original, please?

8. Martin says:

think it is an unofficial remake of the British show from years ago: Stars In Your Eyes

9. maggie says:

I would rather see John Barrowman do a new series of Torchwood. I would hate it if the awful Miracle Day was the last of the otherwise wonderful Torchwood. More Captain Jack, please!

10. Allyson says:

oh wow, another singing show. That is one thing we are missing on television. lol.

11. Joel says:

Is Barrowman coming back to Arrow since you put him in possible fatalites or is there a new big bad for season 2

• theschnauzers says:

From what I understand about the Arrow season finale, Tommy died. but not his dad (Barrowman).
      As to another series of Torchwood, it is dependent on when Russell T. Davies is ready to write and show run another series. He’s been back in the UK for a couple of years now due to a family medical issue and he’s been doing some work, but nothing like the workload he had been doing. Starz has said they’re ready whenever RTD is, and Barrowman is always game for more Captain Jack. He’s not in the 50th anniversary Doctor Who special only because Steven Moffat didn’t ask him to be…and the hints are that the storyline won’t fit a Captain Jack appearance in it.

As to this series, Barrowman is perfect for it, whether as judge or host. He’s done both in the UK not to mention that he’s a successful recording artist in the UK in addition to having done musicals on both the West End and on Broadway.

• jean says:

The CW confirmed on Thursday that actor John Barrowman will join the cast of Arrow as a series regular starting for season 3 this fall.

12. dee123 says:

How camp will he allowed to be? He can make some good jokes.

13. John Legend fan says:

Wait?! What about Duets and Glass House ABC?! I miss those! (Said by no one ever)

14. jessyp32 says:

I love John Barrowman but even he can’t get me to tune into a “realty” singing show.

15. Steve says:

Didnt this type of show fail? And these “celebrities” are not even D list…Have no idea who most of them are. Feel sad that Lisa Rinna is doing this; she has made a career now on going to reality shows…Apprentice twice, DWTS< now this? From a woman who had a successful acting career on DOOL and was runnerup to Kelly Ripa for the seat next to Rege. She would be great on a show like The View although she probably doesnt want to move to NY with small kids still in school. She owns a fashion store, has a line on QVC..and this? really? What will this people not do to stay in the limelight? Guess its another paycheck

The next article you should write is about the list of 'celebrities' who have made a career out of reality shows…And also those who revived their career (from mario lopez to kirstie alley) although I think thats happening less and less. I have no desire tow atch thi.

The only celebrity show I want to watch is CELEBRITY SURVIVOR but I guess no celebrities – even the D listers- are brave enough or strong enough to do this -and none of the women would dare be without makeup for a month

16. Whatever says:

Seems like a waste of talent to me.
    John is a great actor he should stick to movies & sci fi drama or just drama TV.
    But I wish him well…

17. Brooke says:

Sounds like a disaster that John Barrowman is far too good for.

18. Barb says:

Well he’s done enough reality shows in the UK, guess it’s time to do them here in the states. Whatever, won’t be watching since I can’t stand reality shows. Give me a scripted show any day.

19. jm says:

Considering it is a huge success in many countries, it is worthy of a try. It is really fun
    The main idea is that the person performed as if he were the other artist. It depends on how talented the actor is. Lets say It is a short of SNL + the voice.

They usually got famous singers performer as other artist. For instance Mike Ausiello as Ricky Martin or Matt as male lead of the Kiss

It the make´-up artist are decent, it should be nominated for Emmys next year

20. Ron says:

*Sigh* I don’t know. I feel that John Barrowman is too good for something like this. Maybe that’s just me being critical. As much as I like him, there is NO WAY I’m tuning into this series. Hey, if it’s something he wants to do more power to him. I guess I’ll just wait for this series to air, and during its timeslot, I’ll just watch reruns of “Torchwood” and get a Barrowman fix that way. :/

• sara says:

What about the other shows he’s done similar to this?

• Susan Honig says:

He did 3 years of tonight’s the night on BBC1 and he was a judge in various shows such as choosing a Maria on Broadway (sound of music) and the Joseph for Joseph Dreamcoat. He has also hosted a slew of talk shows and game shows in the UK

21. Tanya says:

Love the show. Here in spain is so funny and great hahaha!

22. Linda Greaney says:

Sebastian Bach is going tone in competition, that is awesome!! He is such a talented singer with a great voice