John Barrowman to Host Celeb Singing Series

John_BarrowmanArrow villain John Barrowman is heading in a very different direction — as the host of ABC’s upcoming reality competition Sing Your Face Off, EW.com reports.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled?

The Torchwood alum isn’t new to the reality genre, having appeared as a judge on the UK series How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria? and Any Dream Will Do.

Former Saturday Night Live cast member Darrell Hammond and pop singer Debbie Gibson will serve as judges on Sing Your Face Off, in which five celebrity contestants learn to perform the hits of famous music stars.

Among the competitors are ex-Skid Row frontman Sebastian Bach, comedian Jon Lovitz, Toronto Raptors player Landry Fields, actress-singer China Anne McClain (A.N.T. Farm) and former soap star Lisa Rinna.

No air date has been announced yet for the six-episode series.

Comments (38)

• Is this series a US import of Your Face Sounds Familiar / Tu cara me suena? If so, I’ve seen the Spanish version, it was pretty entertaining and fun concept!

Comment by Adam – May 20, 2013 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, it is. Antena3 is saying that his program was bought by ABC

Comment by jm – May 21, 2013 05:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How many reality shows has Lisa Rinna been on?

Comment by c-mo – May 20, 2013 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Pretty much all of them.

Comment by Joanna – May 20, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My guess is that Rinna and Barrowman have more in common than reality shows: the unreality of cosmetic surgery.

Comment by Ro – May 21, 2013 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great for John Barrowman….I guess.

Comment by lll – May 20, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah we don’t have enough singing shows.

Comment by Joanna – May 20, 2013 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly. Enough already! Cancel Body of Proof but add another singing show. :(

Comment by Kim R – May 21, 2013 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It sounds like other shows that have been on before over the years, but if Barrowman’s involved then I’ll at least give it a shot. Odd though that Darrell Hammond is a judge and Barrowman’s a host and not the other way around – Barrowman not only served as a judge on previous BBC shows looking to fill key roles in certain West End productions but also has had his own singing career, while Hammond’s only known for comedy and doing impressions…

Comment by Tess – May 20, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Since the premise of the show is that the contestants are learning to perform hits from other stars, I assume Hammond will be judging on their impressions of the artists. But yeah, I would rather John Barrowman was judging a show. He gives such wonderful advice and critiques!

Comment by Sara – May 20, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This whole show is a nightmare from host to judge panel to cast, in now way shape or form should this ever have been green-lit or is needed it deserves to flop and not get near its finale!!!

Comment by DavidSask – May 20, 2013 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let me get this straight….China Anne McClain in a singing competition…where she is taught how to perform. Have the producers ever watched TV with their kids? She already has that down. Not to mention this is just another DWTS….sigh….can someone do something original, please?

Comment by mo – May 20, 2013 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • think it is an unofficial remake of the British show from years ago: Stars In Your Eyes

Comment by Martin – May 20, 2013 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would rather see John Barrowman do a new series of Torchwood. I would hate it if the awful Miracle Day was the last of the otherwise wonderful Torchwood. More Captain Jack, please!

Comment by maggie – May 20, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second that!!!

Comment by Brian – May 20, 2013 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Unless they totally ignore the mess / disaster that was Miracle Day AND keep production solely on the Brit side, no thanks to more Torchwood.

Comment by Barb – May 21, 2013 04:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I mean, yeah, I get that miracle was not as good and we miss our old torchwood and we want it back like right now, but I’m sorry, even if miracle day sucked,some jack is better than no jack at all

Comment by Alex – May 21, 2013 04:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or better yet…get him back on Doctor Who…

Comment by Lee – May 21, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh wow, another singing show. That is one thing we are missing on television. lol.

Comment by Allyson – May 20, 2013 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Barrowman coming back to Arrow since you put him in possible fatalites or is there a new big bad for season 2

Comment by Joel – May 20, 2013 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • From what I understand about the Arrow season finale, Tommy died. but not his dad (Barrowman).
      As to another series of Torchwood, it is dependent on when Russell T. Davies is ready to write and show run another series. He’s been back in the UK for a couple of years now due to a family medical issue and he’s been doing some work, but nothing like the workload he had been doing. Starz has said they’re ready whenever RTD is, and Barrowman is always game for more Captain Jack. He’s not in the 50th anniversary Doctor Who special only because Steven Moffat didn’t ask him to be…and the hints are that the storyline won’t fit a Captain Jack appearance in it.

As to this series, Barrowman is perfect for it, whether as judge or host. He’s done both in the UK not to mention that he’s a successful recording artist in the UK in addition to having done musicals on both the West End and on Broadway.

Comment by theschnauzers – May 20, 2013 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How camp will he allowed to be? He can make some good jokes.

Comment by dee123 – May 20, 2013 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait?! What about Duets and Glass House ABC?! I miss those! (Said by no one ever)

Comment by John Legend fan – May 20, 2013 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love John Barrowman but even he can’t get me to tune into a “realty” singing show.

Comment by jessyp32 – May 20, 2013 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didnt this type of show fail? And these “celebrities” are not even D list…Have no idea who most of them are. Feel sad that Lisa Rinna is doing this; she has made a career now on going to reality shows…Apprentice twice, DWTS< now this? From a woman who had a successful acting career on DOOL and was runnerup to Kelly Ripa for the seat next to Rege. She would be great on a show like The View although she probably doesnt want to move to NY with small kids still in school. She owns a fashion store, has a line on QVC..and this? really? What will this people not do to stay in the limelight? Guess its another paycheck

The next article you should write is about the list of 'celebrities' who have made a career out of reality shows…And also those who revived their career (from mario lopez to kirstie alley) although I think thats happening less and less. I have no desire tow atch thi.

The only celebrity show I want to watch is CELEBRITY SURVIVOR but I guess no celebrities – even the D listers- are brave enough or strong enough to do this -and none of the women would dare be without makeup for a month

Comment by Steve – May 20, 2013 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seems like a waste of talent to me.
    John is a great actor he should stick to movies & sci fi drama or just drama TV.
    But I wish him well…

Comment by Whatever – May 20, 2013 11:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds like a disaster that John Barrowman is far too good for.

Comment by Brooke – May 21, 2013 04:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.

Comment by lyn – May 21, 2013 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • lyn you’re rude

Comment by We don't need the grammar police – May 21, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You are off topic lyn…
        Talk about TV

Comment by Lisa – May 21, 2013 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sounds like something he knows will bring him money. he’s done this before.

Comment by sara – May 21, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well he’s done enough reality shows in the UK, guess it’s time to do them here in the states. Whatever, won’t be watching since I can’t stand reality shows. Give me a scripted show any day.

Comment by Barb – May 21, 2013 04:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Considering it is a huge success in many countries, it is worthy of a try. It is really fun
    The main idea is that the person performed as if he were the other artist. It depends on how talented the actor is. Lets say It is a short of SNL + the voice.

They usually got famous singers performer as other artist. For instance Mike Ausiello as Ricky Martin or Matt as male lead of the Kiss

It the make´-up artist are decent, it should be nominated for Emmys next year

Comment by jm – May 21, 2013 05:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *Sigh* I don’t know. I feel that John Barrowman is too good for something like this. Maybe that’s just me being critical. As much as I like him, there is NO WAY I’m tuning into this series. Hey, if it’s something he wants to do more power to him. I guess I’ll just wait for this series to air, and during its timeslot, I’ll just watch reruns of “Torchwood” and get a Barrowman fix that way. :/

Comment by Ron – May 21, 2013 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What about the other shows he’s done similar to this?

Comment by sara – May 21, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He did 3 years of tonight’s the night on BBC1 and he was a judge in various shows such as choosing a Maria on Broadway (sound of music) and the Joseph for Joseph Dreamcoat. He has also hosted a slew of talk shows and game shows in the UK

Comment by Susan Honig – May 21, 2013 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show. Here in spain is so funny and great hahaha!

Comment by Tanya – May 21, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sebastian Bach is going tone in competition, that is awesome!! He is such a talented singer with a great voice

Comment by Linda Greaney – June 12, 2013 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post