TVLine's Performer of the Week: Nikita's Maggie Q

Maggie Q TVLine's Performer of the WeekA weekly feature in which we spotlight shining stars

THE PERFORMER | Maggie Q

THE SHOW | Nikita

THE EPISODE | “Til Death Do Us Part”READ MORE

THE AIRDATE | May 17, 2013

RELATED | The CW’s New Fall TV Show Trailers

THE PERFORMANCE | Maggie Q was tasked with a difficult job in Nikita‘s season ender: to portray her typically tough-as-nails heroine as she fluctuated from hopeless to hopefulness then back again a few dozen times — and did she ever deliver. From forcing down heartache after bidding a subtle so long to her Division family to accepting Michael and Alex’s assistance against Amanda to being wrongfully implicated in the President’s assassination, the actress effortlessly kept viewers riveted with every emotional choice

The actress was never more stunning than in the episode’s final moments. Having just discovered that she was at the center of a nationwide manhunt, Nikita vowed to leave her friends in peace. “I’m putting you all in the line of fire,” she confessed. Though they claimed otherwise, Q’s meek smile said it all: Nikita had succumbed to the hopelessness. And that’s why the last shot of the installment found a tearful Nikita alone and on the run.

At first, all that appeared to be left was the shell of the strong and stalwart leading lady Q spent three seasons creating. Then, with a flick of the eyes and a gut-wrenchingly vacant stare, the actress summoned a familiar Nikita: one who, while struggling to find the hope in her current circumstances, is resolute on doing what she believes is best — because putting her loved ones’ safety first is what Nikita does best.

HONORABLE MENTION | Revenge‘s Nick Wechsler
For two seasons now, Wechsler has been proving that when called upon, he can bust out the waterworks and break our hearts in the process. And, sadly for Jack, that skill came in handy when his brother Declan died in Sunday’s season finale, pushing the elder Porter to his breaking point. When Jack confronted Victoria, Wechsler showed off the perfect mix of devastation, malice, sadness — that parting tear! — and venom (“I would break the news to Charlotte very gently. You know how she takes these things”).

Whose performance knocked your socks off this week?

Tags: ,

Comments (89)

• ABOUT DAMN TIME! SINCERELY, ALL NIKITA FANS! Yes, that DID warrant Caps.

Comment by Roger – May 18, 2013 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well said. She’s the best

Comment by Mk – May 18, 2013 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • it totally warranted the caps. that speech to michael’s body almost had me in tears and i never cry at tv shows.

Comment by Alan – May 18, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto! We love you, Maggie!

Comment by ee – May 18, 2013 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maggie is the best! It was such a powerful finale and her speech really stole the episode. Such a great fun actress! I’m so happy we get our close up if only 6 episodes.

Comment by David – May 19, 2013 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE THIS <3

Comment by Forever Nikita ♥ (@MaggieIsMyHero) – May 18, 2013 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And if ANYONE questions Maggie Q’s acting range, please do yourself a favor and watch the season 2 episode “Wrath.”

Comment by Roger – May 18, 2013 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously? So many finals this week – Nina Dobrev playing two characters fighting each other on TVD, Cristina breaking with Owen (this was one of the the best break-ups since Sex & the City’s Samantha breaking-up with Richard “I love you, but I love me more”) on Grey’s. Again on Grey’s Meredith instructing Shane on operating her… And none of these three amazing performances is not top or honoroble mention…

Comment by Lubomir Raykov – May 18, 2013 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nina, Has nothing on Maggie Q. Maggie does all her own stunts . I’m sure mak

Comment by Md – May 18, 2013 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m sure making a decision between 2 brothers makes it worthy of being the performer of the week. Maggie Q was phenomenal

Comment by Md – May 18, 2013 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is why Nikita fans are insufferable! Why must you bash other shows/actors to prove your point? Maggie and Nina can both be excellent – it doesn’t have to be one or the other.

Comment by Tonya – May 18, 2013 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Just to be fair it was a TVD/Grey’s fan that hit on Nikita first by suggesting the show didn’t deserve to win over TVD or Grey’s. I’m an impartial observer on this, as I don’t watch any of those shows.

Castle & Scandal both had awesome performances – Jeff Perry from Scandal and Nathan Fillion in Castle for starters. However, just from reading the storyline, I’d say Nikita’s script was the most intense in circumstances, which gave the actress the most opportunities to shine – and she apparently did an stellar job with the material. Congrats to Nikita!

Comment by beckstle – May 18, 2013 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Because someone needs to teach Nina, how to act. Her character is about as dimensional as a stick figure.

Comment by jake – May 18, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No Maggie Q deserves it. I’m sick and tired of the vampire diaries always getting everything.

Comment by i – May 18, 2013 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nina has already had it…. let Maggie have this one

Comment by Jaz Schoone – May 18, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, Nina did, and in the week she got it, she really deserved it. Her breakdown over Jeremy’s death was harrowing to watch.

Comment by Lambsilencer – May 18, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eff yeah!!! I still haven’t seen the last episode so I had to close my eyes and browse all the way to the bottom to avoid spoiler, but I’m SO flippin’ happy Nikita finally got recognized!

Comment by Trev – May 18, 2013 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here! Love, love, love Maggie Q!

Comment by chrissy – May 19, 2013 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree Maggie Q was phenomenal not just the emotional stuff, but the fight. She just took out the remaining dirty 30 to save her family. Arrow has nothing on Nikita. Love this show and it will be missed after the next 6 episodes. Nikita’s writers are the best they always deliver

Comment by Md – May 18, 2013 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • nikki pulling the big damn heroes moment there was almost as good as nikki versus all the divison recruits from season 1, maggie has brought so much to the show and has made nikita one of my all time favourite characters and im so glad that at least tv line will give her the recognition she deserves *cough*emmies im looking at you*cough*

Comment by Alan – May 18, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SOOOO TRUE!!!! Nikita’s finale was insane! The whole cast was unbelievable!

Comment by Kiara – May 18, 2013 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • totally agreed, and Nikita season finale was CW’s best one!!!

Comment by onlyakb – May 18, 2013 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEAH MAGGIE! Because it’s The CW, she’ll probably never get awards recognition, but she totally deserves an Emmy in my books. LOVE HER!!

Comment by popculturedrandoms – May 18, 2013 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MAGGIEEEEEEEEE :D ALL OF THE AWARDS TO THIS WONDERFUL WOMAN!!! But, seriously, why doesn’t she have an emmy? -______-

Comment by Lily – May 18, 2013 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • its an action show on the cw, that two marks against it automatically. unfortunately the emmy voters are still living in a world where these two things just cant possibly be good and its an absolute joke.

Comment by Alan – May 18, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She is the best, that’s all ;)

Comment by lulou – May 18, 2013 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now USA network, with burn notice ending, Make Nikita happen.

Comment by Lord Byron – May 18, 2013 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be awesome! I would be thrilled if they decided to pick it up!

Comment by jake – May 18, 2013 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • USA has been ruining a lot of shows with their quest to go “serious” – because it’s not a good, proper kind of serious! Their new shows like Graceland are also unwatchable.

I’d rather all of my favorite shows end than move to USA. If they move to USA I would refuse to watch.

Comment by LK (@slow369) – May 18, 2013 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • how could you possibly know graceland is “unwatchable”? it hasnt even started yet.

Comment by Alan – May 19, 2013 04:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I was just wondering the same thing.

Comment by Sue – May 19, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Alan, the entire pilot for Graceland was available on USAs on demand channel for weeks so a lot of people have already seen it.

Comment by Elyse – May 19, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • that i didnt know about but i stand by what i said, nobody can form an accurate opinion of a show from the pilot alone. most pilots only barely reflect the quality of the show in an ongoing capacity.

Comment by Alan – May 19, 2013 11:45 AM PDT
  • Absolutely deserved

Comment by may – May 18, 2013 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope CW give more episodes or a cable net picks it up cause there’s so much more to explore with this show. It shouldn’t have to end yet

Comment by Ram510 – May 18, 2013 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The cast last night was amazing, Maggie Q definitely deserves recognition for her role. I don’t know what I’ll do without this show. Best season finale, I hope they continue with this show.

Comment by Marcia – May 18, 2013 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES!an award for the phenomenal star Maggie Q she deserves it…i really love the show…i’m gonna miss it a lot.

Comment by Cherry Ann Canencia – May 24, 2013 11:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just a small question. Will this section of TVLine continue over the summer season now that all the May sweeps finales have practically all aired? Are there enough new scripted television shows on over the summer to allow a good amount of shows getting spotlighted?

Comment by Philip – May 18, 2013 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope it continues since all the summer shows are returning. Jesse Pinkman Ftw!

Comment by Sara – May 18, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. Don’t watch Nikita so can’t comment on wether she deserves it or not but man I think it should have been Jensen, Jared, Misha, or Mark Sheppard from the Supernatural finale. All 4 of them were excellent and brought their A games.

Comment by Dave – May 18, 2013 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree with you. They were spectacular for that finale, but congrats to Maggie Q and the Nikita fans. :)

Comment by Ali – May 18, 2013 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • all four were spectacular i agree but as a fan of both i can definitely say it went to the right person. i do think they should have gotten a mention in the honourables.

Comment by Alan – May 18, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maggie Q did an incredible job. I shed a tear when Michael was trying to call her and she threw her phone out the car window.

Comment by lisa – May 18, 2013 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is so well deserved. Congrats to Maggie Q.

Comment by ♣ Nikitaverse ♣ (@nikitarecaps) – May 18, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t watch Nikita, and Nick was incredible on Revenge but you should’ve added another honorable mention to the cast of Grey’s! Especially Callie, Arizona, and April

Comment by Lalalala – May 18, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *Waiting for Mark Sheppard’s Honorable Mention*

Comment by Alyssa – May 18, 2013 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Welcome To My World (My Life My Way ツ. My Destiny).

Comment by LissaCaldina – May 18, 2013 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Should have been the cast of The Office.

Comment by Kim S. – May 18, 2013 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m glad that ship has sunk..It got ridiculous.

Comment by jake – May 18, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t watch Nikita but I was sure Jeff Perry was going to get at least an honorable mention this week. He was flawless.

Comment by the girl – May 18, 2013 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jeff Perry was amazing on the last 3 episodes! And he willl probably get an Emmy & Golden Globe for the last episode, on the scene on the ambulance was simply brilliant! Can’t believe he made me laugh when it was all drama, but that line when they take the cell away while he’s having a heart attack: “Shoot him, give me the gun and I’ll shoot him myself”, WOW!

And Maggie Q totally deserves to win Performance of the week, I can only imagine how exhasting it must of been for her, from hope to hopeless from one scene to the next … fighting 4 guys one minute, crying for her loved one the next, she made us feel exactly what Nikita was feeling every second! Incredible performance!!!

Comment by LizMG – May 20, 2013 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maggie Q for all the awards and Nikita’s writers deserve some credit too.

Comment by nikita fan – May 18, 2013 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mark sheppard for the win and Jared padalecki honorable mention

Comment by Kro – May 18, 2013 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was well deserved!!! I agree 100% Maggie Q was brilliant!!! if you havent seen Nikita just see the season 3 finale n you will be hooked!!! it had everything action, twists, love, heartbreak n cliffhanger!!! I cant wait til season 4!!!

Comment by sarah – May 18, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maggie Q deserves it, about time that her incredible work is recognized!!

She can deliver anything, everything! The fighting scenes and make them look effortless and can make us feel happy when she’s happy, or hopeful or completelly devastated! I was a total wreck, feeling everything Nikita was feeling. I had never ever yelled at my TV like I did watching Nikita S3 Finale.

Maggie really earned and deserved to win TVLine’s Performer of the Week!

Comment by LizMG – May 20, 2013 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well deserved!!!

Comment by Lynnda – May 18, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such a good episode!!! That part where she came busting through Division doors and beat the s*** outta those guys! so good!!!!

i’m so sad its ending next year!! :(

#longlivenikita

Comment by Jared – May 18, 2013 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t help but laugh at the honorable mention to Nick Wechsler, regardless of making Jack more interesting, he is still consistently the worst actor on Revenge, sans maybe Declan.

Comment by Nikki – May 18, 2013 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yeah! been waiting for this time! she was amazing.

Comment by oliver – May 18, 2013 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maggie Q is amazing. She brings it in every episode. I want her to be snatched up as soon as Nikita ends…

Comment by shuayb – May 18, 2013 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There were a lot of noteworthy, incredible performances this week, but I agree. This is well-deserved. Maggie Q was excellent in Til Death Do Us Part.

Comment by CJ – May 18, 2013 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t comment on if I agree with this since I stopped watching Nikita halfway through season 1, but of everything I saw the past week, Mark Sheppard was the best out of all of them. IMO

Comment by AJ – May 18, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you see the midseason finale of Season 1? Because it’s around that time that Nikita becomes downright awesome, and from that point onwards it just keeps getting better and better. This show is seriously one of the best-kept secrets on TV.

Comment by Alex Forrest (@AlexForrest5) – May 18, 2013 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Jessica Capshaw and Sarah Drew deserve some recognition. I had chills because of them this week.

Comment by Kevin – May 18, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sarah Drew annoys me. But I thought someone on Grey’s would have it. for sure. I tried to get into Nikita Season 1 and it just didn’t hold my attention. Of course, I remember being young and watching the old school Nikita with my dad. So maybe I’m biased :)

Comment by lilly85 – May 20, 2013 01:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This week had a lot of great performances, but Maggie Q and Nick Weschler were the right choices. Nikita and Revenge ended their seasons AMAZINGLY!

Comment by iMember – May 18, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita really is one of the best shows on TV right now, it’s just a pity that the CW demographic refuses to acknowledge that and won’t tune in :( It’s really sad when a show that’s had three solid seasons is getting cancelled, but Supernatural that’s being mediocre since season 5(though Season 8 had an AWESOME season finale) still manages to pull in tons of viewers, mostly because of Sam and Dean’s hotness.

Comment by Bee – May 18, 2013 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You forget about TVD, it has been mediocre ever since the end of Season 2. But the emo tweens love it. I catch an episode here and there and realize, I haven’t missed much and usually can pick right back up on the story line. The CW over promotes TVD. IMO.

Comment by jake – May 18, 2013 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG, so deserved!!! I am constantly blown away by Nikita week after week, just when I think it can’t possibly be any better it reaches that little bit further! I LOVED loved LOVED the season finale!!!!! Was simply outstanding in every single way, the whole cast was FANTASTIC but Maggie was just something else…Like someone said before, that final scene just KILLED, omg I died when I saw the ring on the window sill and her face driving away :(. The range she went through as an actress in this episode was so extensive, from the anguish at the beginning to the scene where she just took out the entire dirty 30 to that scene at the end…just unbelievable. I watch greys, and a lot of other shows mentioned and while I agree there were some great acting moments, nothing beats Maggie on this performance.

Comment by shann – May 18, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Kunal Nayyar did a fantastic job with his revealing that he wasn’t drunk while talking to Penny and Eugene Mirman did a great job as the voice of Gene on Bob’s Burgers in the season finale.

Comment by Ralph Hartman – May 18, 2013 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um??? The cast of The Office?!?!?

Comment by Spencer – May 18, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Nikita but IMO I thought Tatiana Maslany deserved some praise for her portrayal of Sarah/Helena last week.

Comment by kavyn – May 18, 2013 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wholeheartedly concur. Maggie Q was phenomenal. Wish another network would pick up NIKITA to give it the proper support and advertisement it deserves.

Comment by bina – May 18, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very fine choice. Maggie was absolutely fantastic in this episode (as she always is). That scene where Michael seemingly dies and Nikita begs him to come back was, alone, award-worthy material. It’s a shame she’ll never even be considered for a serious award for Nikita because it’s on the stupid CW (where it scarcely belongs).

Comment by Alex Forrest (@AlexForrest5) – May 18, 2013 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Jenna Fischer from The Office? Actually, this should have been a group Performance of the Week for the whole cast of The Office.

Comment by Jennifer – May 18, 2013 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She was just phenomenal, good choice TVLINE team!! Maybe Maggie Q and Lyndsy Fonseca can make the move to AGENTS OF SHIELD. They can kick major ass

Comment by Mia – May 18, 2013 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was betting on Mark Sheppard on Supernatural. He NAILED Crowley going through the process of a demon being “cured.” Thought for sure he’d win. And WAY OVER Nick in Revenge. Sorry.

Comment by Isaac – May 18, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Barrowman’s scene when Merlyn was letting Tommy hear the voice message of his mother, Barrowman was outstanding!!!

Comment by Baz – May 19, 2013 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So sad Tommy had to go.

Comment by Sue – May 19, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maggie Q absolutely deserved the top spot, but I don’t understand why Ellen Pompeo didn’t at least get honorable mention. She was brilliant in the Greys finale!

Comment by JP – May 19, 2013 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Congrats to Maggie Q I will forever remember her as the tough as nails Nikita. Have you guys seen the part where she killed the dirty 30 all on her own? That was intense :) #NikitaSeason4

Comment by JC – May 19, 2013 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope when Nikita ends, Maggie Q will get picked up for something more well known. She is a phenomenal actress and it sucks to see her in a series that doesn’t get much recognition. Which sucks because Nikita is an awesome show. Season 3 started off a bit iffy but the last 4 episodes really made up for it. Here’s to an amazing last season!

Comment by Eve – May 19, 2013 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post