TVLine's Performer of the Week: Nikita's Maggie Q

Maggie Q TVLine's Performer of the WeekA weekly feature in which we spotlight shining stars

THE PERFORMER | Maggie Q

THE SHOW | Nikita

THE EPISODE | “Til Death Do Us Part”READ MORE

THE AIRDATE | May 17, 2013

RELATED | The CW’s New Fall TV Show Trailers

THE PERFORMANCE | Maggie Q was tasked with a difficult job in Nikita‘s season ender: to portray her typically tough-as-nails heroine as she fluctuated from hopeless to hopefulness then back again a few dozen times — and did she ever deliver. From forcing down heartache after bidding a subtle so long to her Division family to accepting Michael and Alex’s assistance against Amanda to being wrongfully implicated in the President’s assassination, the actress effortlessly kept viewers riveted with every emotional choice

The actress was never more stunning than in the episode’s final moments. Having just discovered that she was at the center of a nationwide manhunt, Nikita vowed to leave her friends in peace. “I’m putting you all in the line of fire,” she confessed. Though they claimed otherwise, Q’s meek smile said it all: Nikita had succumbed to the hopelessness. And that’s why the last shot of the installment found a tearful Nikita alone and on the run.

At first, all that appeared to be left was the shell of the strong and stalwart leading lady Q spent three seasons creating. Then, with a flick of the eyes and a gut-wrenchingly vacant stare, the actress summoned a familiar Nikita: one who, while struggling to find the hope in her current circumstances, is resolute on doing what she believes is best — because putting her loved ones’ safety first is what Nikita does best.

HONORABLE MENTION | Revenge‘s Nick Wechsler
For two seasons now, Wechsler has been proving that when called upon, he can bust out the waterworks and break our hearts in the process. And, sadly for Jack, that skill came in handy when his brother Declan died in Sunday’s season finale, pushing the elder Porter to his breaking point. When Jack confronted Victoria, Wechsler showed off the perfect mix of devastation, malice, sadness — that parting tear! — and venom (“I would break the news to Charlotte very gently. You know how she takes these things”).

Whose performance knocked your socks off this week?

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Performer of the Week

1. Roger says:

ABOUT DAMN TIME! SINCERELY, ALL NIKITA FANS! Yes, that DID warrant Caps.

2. Roger says:

And if ANYONE questions Maggie Q’s acting range, please do yourself a favor and watch the season 2 episode “Wrath.”

3. Seriously? So many finals this week – Nina Dobrev playing two characters fighting each other on TVD, Cristina breaking with Owen (this was one of the the best break-ups since Sex & the City’s Samantha breaking-up with Richard “I love you, but I love me more”) on Grey’s. Again on Grey’s Meredith instructing Shane on operating her… And none of these three amazing performances is not top or honoroble mention…

• Md says:

Nina, Has nothing on Maggie Q. Maggie does all her own stunts . I’m sure mak

• Md says:

I’m sure making a decision between 2 brothers makes it worthy of being the performer of the week. Maggie Q was phenomenal

• Tonya says:

This is why Nikita fans are insufferable! Why must you bash other shows/actors to prove your point? Maggie and Nina can both be excellent – it doesn’t have to be one or the other.

• beckstle says:

Just to be fair it was a TVD/Grey’s fan that hit on Nikita first by suggesting the show didn’t deserve to win over TVD or Grey’s. I’m an impartial observer on this, as I don’t watch any of those shows.

Castle & Scandal both had awesome performances – Jeff Perry from Scandal and Nathan Fillion in Castle for starters. However, just from reading the storyline, I’d say Nikita’s script was the most intense in circumstances, which gave the actress the most opportunities to shine – and she apparently did an stellar job with the material. Congrats to Nikita!

• jake says:

Because someone needs to teach Nina, how to act. Her character is about as dimensional as a stick figure.

• i says:

No Maggie Q deserves it. I’m sick and tired of the vampire diaries always getting everything.

• Jaz Schoone says:

Nina has already had it…. let Maggie have this one

4. Trev says:

Eff yeah!!! I still haven’t seen the last episode so I had to close my eyes and browse all the way to the bottom to avoid spoiler, but I’m SO flippin’ happy Nikita finally got recognized!

5. Md says:

I agree Maggie Q was phenomenal not just the emotional stuff, but the fight. She just took out the remaining dirty 30 to save her family. Arrow has nothing on Nikita. Love this show and it will be missed after the next 6 episodes. Nikita’s writers are the best they always deliver

• Alan says:

nikki pulling the big damn heroes moment there was almost as good as nikki versus all the divison recruits from season 1, maggie has brought so much to the show and has made nikita one of my all time favourite characters and im so glad that at least tv line will give her the recognition she deserves *cough*emmies im looking at you*cough*

6. Kiara says:

SOOOO TRUE!!!! Nikita’s finale was insane! The whole cast was unbelievable!

7. onlyakb says:

totally agreed, and Nikita season finale was CW’s best one!!!

8. popculturedrandoms says:

YEAH MAGGIE! Because it’s The CW, she’ll probably never get awards recognition, but she totally deserves an Emmy in my books. LOVE HER!!

9. Lily says:

MAGGIEEEEEEEEE :D ALL OF THE AWARDS TO THIS WONDERFUL WOMAN!!! But, seriously, why doesn’t she have an emmy? -______-

• Alan says:

its an action show on the cw, that two marks against it automatically. unfortunately the emmy voters are still living in a world where these two things just cant possibly be good and its an absolute joke.

10. lulou says:

She is the best, that’s all ;)

11. Lord Byron says:

Now USA network, with burn notice ending, Make Nikita happen.

• jake says:

That would be awesome! I would be thrilled if they decided to pick it up!

• USA has been ruining a lot of shows with their quest to go “serious” – because it’s not a good, proper kind of serious! Their new shows like Graceland are also unwatchable.

I’d rather all of my favorite shows end than move to USA. If they move to USA I would refuse to watch.

• Alan says:

how could you possibly know graceland is “unwatchable”? it hasnt even started yet.

• Sue says:

I was just wondering the same thing.

• Elyse says:

Alan, the entire pilot for Graceland was available on USAs on demand channel for weeks so a lot of people have already seen it.

• Alan says:

that i didnt know about but i stand by what i said, nobody can form an accurate opinion of a show from the pilot alone. most pilots only barely reflect the quality of the show in an ongoing capacity.

12. may says:

Absolutely deserved

13. Ram510 says:

I really hope CW give more episodes or a cable net picks it up cause there’s so much more to explore with this show. It shouldn’t have to end yet

14. Marcia says:

The cast last night was amazing, Maggie Q definitely deserves recognition for her role. I don’t know what I’ll do without this show. Best season finale, I hope they continue with this show.

• Cherry Ann Canencia says:

YES!an award for the phenomenal star Maggie Q she deserves it…i really love the show…i’m gonna miss it a lot.

15. Philip says:

Just a small question. Will this section of TVLine continue over the summer season now that all the May sweeps finales have practically all aired? Are there enough new scripted television shows on over the summer to allow a good amount of shows getting spotlighted?

16. Dave says:

Wow. Don’t watch Nikita so can’t comment on wether she deserves it or not but man I think it should have been Jensen, Jared, Misha, or Mark Sheppard from the Supernatural finale. All 4 of them were excellent and brought their A games.

• Ali says:

I completely agree with you. They were spectacular for that finale, but congrats to Maggie Q and the Nikita fans. :)

• Alan says:

all four were spectacular i agree but as a fan of both i can definitely say it went to the right person. i do think they should have gotten a mention in the honourables.

17. lisa says:

Maggie Q did an incredible job. I shed a tear when Michael was trying to call her and she threw her phone out the car window.

18. This is so well deserved. Congrats to Maggie Q.

19. Lalalala says:

Don’t watch Nikita, and Nick was incredible on Revenge but you should’ve added another honorable mention to the cast of Grey’s! Especially Callie, Arizona, and April

20. Alyssa says:

*Waiting for Mark Sheppard’s Honorable Mention*

21. Kim S. says:

Should have been the cast of The Office.

22. the girl says:

Don’t watch Nikita but I was sure Jeff Perry was going to get at least an honorable mention this week. He was flawless.

• LizMG says:

Jeff Perry was amazing on the last 3 episodes! And he willl probably get an Emmy & Golden Globe for the last episode, on the scene on the ambulance was simply brilliant! Can’t believe he made me laugh when it was all drama, but that line when they take the cell away while he’s having a heart attack: “Shoot him, give me the gun and I’ll shoot him myself”, WOW!

And Maggie Q totally deserves to win Performance of the week, I can only imagine how exhasting it must of been for her, from hope to hopeless from one scene to the next … fighting 4 guys one minute, crying for her loved one the next, she made us feel exactly what Nikita was feeling every second! Incredible performance!!!

23. nikita fan says:

Maggie Q for all the awards and Nikita’s writers deserve some credit too.

24. Kro says:

Mark sheppard for the win and Jared padalecki honorable mention

25. sarah says:

This was well deserved!!! I agree 100% Maggie Q was brilliant!!! if you havent seen Nikita just see the season 3 finale n you will be hooked!!! it had everything action, twists, love, heartbreak n cliffhanger!!! I cant wait til season 4!!!

• LizMG says:

Maggie Q deserves it, about time that her incredible work is recognized!!

She can deliver anything, everything! The fighting scenes and make them look effortless and can make us feel happy when she’s happy, or hopeful or completelly devastated! I was a total wreck, feeling everything Nikita was feeling. I had never ever yelled at my TV like I did watching Nikita S3 Finale.

Maggie really earned and deserved to win TVLine’s Performer of the Week!

26. Lynnda says:

Well deserved!!!

27. Jared says:

Such a good episode!!! That part where she came busting through Division doors and beat the s*** outta those guys! so good!!!!

i’m so sad its ending next year!! :(

#longlivenikita

28. Nikki says:

Can’t help but laugh at the honorable mention to Nick Wechsler, regardless of making Jack more interesting, he is still consistently the worst actor on Revenge, sans maybe Declan.

29. oliver says:

yeah! been waiting for this time! she was amazing.

30. shuayb says:

Maggie Q is amazing. She brings it in every episode. I want her to be snatched up as soon as Nikita ends…

31. CJ says:

There were a lot of noteworthy, incredible performances this week, but I agree. This is well-deserved. Maggie Q was excellent in Til Death Do Us Part.

32. AJ says:

I can’t comment on if I agree with this since I stopped watching Nikita halfway through season 1, but of everything I saw the past week, Mark Sheppard was the best out of all of them. IMO

• Did you see the midseason finale of Season 1? Because it’s around that time that Nikita becomes downright awesome, and from that point onwards it just keeps getting better and better. This show is seriously one of the best-kept secrets on TV.

33. Kevin says:

I think Jessica Capshaw and Sarah Drew deserve some recognition. I had chills because of them this week.

• lilly85 says:

Sarah Drew annoys me. But I thought someone on Grey’s would have it. for sure. I tried to get into Nikita Season 1 and it just didn’t hold my attention. Of course, I remember being young and watching the old school Nikita with my dad. So maybe I’m biased :)

34. iMember says:

This week had a lot of great performances, but Maggie Q and Nick Weschler were the right choices. Nikita and Revenge ended their seasons AMAZINGLY!

35. Bee says:

Nikita really is one of the best shows on TV right now, it’s just a pity that the CW demographic refuses to acknowledge that and won’t tune in :( It’s really sad when a show that’s had three solid seasons is getting cancelled, but Supernatural that’s being mediocre since season 5(though Season 8 had an AWESOME season finale) still manages to pull in tons of viewers, mostly because of Sam and Dean’s hotness.

• jake says:

You forget about TVD, it has been mediocre ever since the end of Season 2. But the emo tweens love it. I catch an episode here and there and realize, I haven’t missed much and usually can pick right back up on the story line. The CW over promotes TVD. IMO.

36. shann says:

OMG, so deserved!!! I am constantly blown away by Nikita week after week, just when I think it can’t possibly be any better it reaches that little bit further! I LOVED loved LOVED the season finale!!!!! Was simply outstanding in every single way, the whole cast was FANTASTIC but Maggie was just something else…Like someone said before, that final scene just KILLED, omg I died when I saw the ring on the window sill and her face driving away :(. The range she went through as an actress in this episode was so extensive, from the anguish at the beginning to the scene where she just took out the entire dirty 30 to that scene at the end…just unbelievable. I watch greys, and a lot of other shows mentioned and while I agree there were some great acting moments, nothing beats Maggie on this performance.

37. Ralph Hartman says:

I thought Kunal Nayyar did a fantastic job with his revealing that he wasn’t drunk while talking to Penny and Eugene Mirman did a great job as the voice of Gene on Bob’s Burgers in the season finale.

38. Spencer says:

Um??? The cast of The Office?!?!?

39. kavyn says:

I love Nikita but IMO I thought Tatiana Maslany deserved some praise for her portrayal of Sarah/Helena last week.

40. bina says:

I wholeheartedly concur. Maggie Q was phenomenal. Wish another network would pick up NIKITA to give it the proper support and advertisement it deserves.

41. Very fine choice. Maggie was absolutely fantastic in this episode (as she always is). That scene where Michael seemingly dies and Nikita begs him to come back was, alone, award-worthy material. It’s a shame she’ll never even be considered for a serious award for Nikita because it’s on the stupid CW (where it scarcely belongs).

42. Jennifer says:

What about Jenna Fischer from The Office? Actually, this should have been a group Performance of the Week for the whole cast of The Office.

43. Mia says:

She was just phenomenal, good choice TVLINE team!! Maybe Maggie Q and Lyndsy Fonseca can make the move to AGENTS OF SHIELD. They can kick major ass

44. Isaac says:

I was betting on Mark Sheppard on Supernatural. He NAILED Crowley going through the process of a demon being “cured.” Thought for sure he’d win. And WAY OVER Nick in Revenge. Sorry.

45. Baz says:

John Barrowman’s scene when Merlyn was letting Tommy hear the voice message of his mother, Barrowman was outstanding!!!

46. JP says:

Maggie Q absolutely deserved the top spot, but I don’t understand why Ellen Pompeo didn’t at least get honorable mention. She was brilliant in the Greys finale!

47. JC says:

Congrats to Maggie Q I will forever remember her as the tough as nails Nikita. Have you guys seen the part where she killed the dirty 30 all on her own? That was intense :) #NikitaSeason4

48. Eve says:

I really hope when Nikita ends, Maggie Q will get picked up for something more well known. She is a phenomenal actress and it sucks to see her in a series that doesn’t get much recognition. Which sucks because Nikita is an awesome show. Season 3 started off a bit iffy but the last 4 episodes really made up for it. Here’s to an amazing last season!