Post Mortem: Vampire Diaries Boss on Silas' Agenda, Tyler's Future and 'Delena' Challenges

Vampire Diaries Season 5 SpoilersWarning: The following article contains major spoilers from Thursday’s season finale of The Vampire Diaries. Proceed at your own risk!

Thursday’s season finale of Vampire Diaries delivered several juicy twists — Stefan is Silas’ doppelganger! Katherine’s human! Jer’s alive, but Bonnie’s still a ghost! — and left us with even more burning questions. Is the newly mortal Kat about to get killed? Will no one notice something’s off with Stefan? And is Tyler finally going to come home?

TVLine went to executive producer Julie Plec to get answers on that and so much more.

RELATED | May Sweeps Scorecard: Who Died? Who Broke Up? Who Got Engaged?

TVLINE | What’s Silas’ agenda as Stefan? Is he going to be sticking around town for some purpose?
I can’t say whether he’ll be sticking around town, although I can say that he’ll definitely be coming back to town when we get back into the next season. His agenda has always been to cure himself, to get rid of the other side so that he could then die and pass over and find peace. That will remain his agenda. The question is: How will he go about it? Everything he meant to do this year blew up in his face.

TVLINE | Can he really fool everyone into thinking he’s Stefan?
He’s going to give it a good college try. He is, after all, psychic, as well. So he can get inside people’s heads and make them think whatever he wants. It’s not like we’re going to play an entire season of The Parent Trap. [Laughs] But there will be some funny times right at the beginning of the season.

Vampire Diaries Season 5 SpoilersTVLINE | Now that Katherine is a human – and given that she’s pissed off her fair share of people in Mystic Falls – what’s to stop everyone from killing her?
Absolutely nothing is going to stop everyone from trying to kill her. That’s what puts her in a pickle that is going to have her seeking out protection from unlikely sources.

VIDEO | New Fall TV Show Trailers from The CW

TVLINE | With Stefan gone, Damon with Elena, and Klaus and Elijah on The Originals, who is left to care about what becomes of her?
[Laughs] That’s the realization she comes to over her summer break. “Oh, boy, did I screw up, and now my chickens are coming home to roost.” She’s definitely going to find herself on the wrong end of a lot of vendettas.

TVLINE | So Nina [Dobrev] will be playing two characters again for a pretty significant portion of the next season?
Yeah. We’ll definitely see a great storyline with Katherine as a human, and a great, fun one with Damon and Elena trying to make their relationship work as she heads off to college and starts her new life.

TVLINE | Speaking of, why Damon? What were you hoping to get to explore in Elena choosing Damon?
Damon’s a character who’s been driven by feeling like he’s not worthy of love. Now that he’s on the receiving end of that love, what will that mean for him? And where will he have to make changes in him, in his behavior? Or will he still be, “I am who I am. You love me for who I am. I’m not going to change for you”? It’ll be a fun dynamic to see him either trying to exercise restraint or not being able to exercise restraint in the name of love of this girl, especially as he’s got a new houseguest. He’s [living] with Jeremy Gilbert as Elena goes off to college.

TVLINE | It seemed like Caroline and Tyler are poised for a reunion. Will Michael Trevino be back next season as a regular?
Michael Trevino is still under contract. When he’ll return, we can’t say yet. He is going to have the opportunity to return to Caroline’s life in Mystic Falls. The question is, will he want to take it, given everything he’s been through since he’s been gone, which will be fun for us to learn — like what kind of life he’s been leading on the run.

RELATED | Fall TV Schedule 2013 — What’s On When? And Against What?

Vampire Diaries Season 5 SpoilersTVLINE | That last scene between Caroline and Klaus was so loaded with emotion and potential. Is there any chance at all of having Caroline move to The Originals? Or was that the capper on ‘Klaroline’ for now?
It’s not the capper, per se. We’ll have to be more judicious with the moments between them. We’ll see. Klaus has a long journey ahead of him. He’s got a very, very, very long road toward being a redeemed character. He hasn’t exactly been a peach. Even when he does nice things for Caroline, they don’t necessarily offset all the nasty things he’s done to her and all her friends. So as Caroline grows up and goes to college and experience a new phase of her life, we’ll see if she is still drawn to him and if he’s making the kind of changes that make her want to have him in her life at all.

TVLINE | Bonnie is still a series regular, so how does she fit into the scope of the show with only one person being able to see her?
She fits very much into the scope of the show as she tries to deal with the fact that what she thought maybe wouldn’t be so difficult actually is. The absence of physical touch and physical connection with the boy that she likes, just that alone makes her feel really distant. We’ll get to see her more in her own life a little bit as she tries to figure out ways to keep her secret — [and] also stay on top of her friends and what they’re doing and if they’re safe.

TVLINE | I’m surprised you didn’t find a way to keep Alaric (Matt Davis) around.
[Laughs] Put it this way, I was all on board with that pitch. I think it felt like if we kept everybody that we loved, we’d have an entire, new, double ensemble of series regulars.

TVLINE | Now that Katherine’s human, can Klaus use her to make more hybrids? Is that something he might be concerned about on The Originals?
Given his experience with his hybrids, he might be a little gun-shy about creating another army that could potentially be used against him.

Vampire Diaries fans, keep checking TVLine for lots more scoop about Season 5!

1. sheldon says:

Not excited about Delena, I’m really a stelena person n I’m sad about bonnie but I’m happy that jer is back and that he can see her, also I hope that klaus and caroline can be together, that would be totally awesome, hope that stefan is alive nxt season :) :)

2. tessa says:

I really wish people would quit bullying TVD and Julie Plec because I have always been obsessed with this show. Also, I think if Julie Plec didn’t change things around the way she does it would get boring like most shows on TV do. Plus, TVD is one of the few shows I like on TV and think should never be cancelled.

3. Rosalena says:

Team Stelena/Dobsley..all the way!!! When TVD began it was all ’bout a girl who lost her parents then fell in love with a vampire. Stefan and Elena has been thru a whole lot together; the good, the bad and the ugly-horrible. Now i dunno what to say anymore.. Elena and Damon together makes no sense at all. What ’bout the times she said ”It’s always goin’ to be STEFAN”?? Not that i dont like Damon but he just has a way of controlling people especially Elena. Stefan and Elena were so in love thru out S-1 and S-2 and even S-3, Damon still decided to fall in love with his brother’s girl..ishhh dat makes me so angry. On Stefan’s trip with Klaus in S-3, damon finally got what he has been longing for..which is Elena. I’m gettin so pissed with this whole love triangle. Elena love Stefan but just feel she owes Damon a thing thats why she’s with him, thats not real love.. Stefan and Elena’s love is epic and true and convincing but Damon and Elena, boo-hoo..makes zero sense. One way or the other Julie Plec has to make Stefan and Elena find their wake back together in S-5 cos their love is ”EPIC” not a momenet did they stop loving each other even in Stefan’s darkest ripper moment. It has to be STEFAN and ELENA.itz always gotta be. Team Stelena forever!!! And as for Caroline, i think she needs to be with Tyler cos they love each other no matter what the obstacle may be{KLAUS}

4. Tricia-Lee says:

The ending of season 4 has left me with a mind full of Questions and un answered ones:)*
    I pretty much I know this sounds crazy but would love to see Klaus and Caroline together sumtym yes his done some vile things but she makes him a better person his mre alive around her and as said he wants to be her last love..* I hope they never turn matt he is a good guy and basically only human friend. Rebekkah and Matt hope they find there way t0 , they make a cute couple and he brings the good out in her.. And yes iv got the question in mind what happens when Klaus finds out about Katherine and what’s going t0 happen with her that is the biggest Question I’m left with and pretty much biggest shock in end of season 4 not in my right mind would I have ever have thort of katherine getting the cure but In a way I hope Alija and Katherine can be together * but it all makes things so much mre interesting and questioning* I truly hope Stefan and Elena find their way back , love like theirs never dies he did so much 4 Elena they are soul mates.. I love Damon and his Cocky self:D but I rate he should end up with sum1 in the show we would have never expected him 2 be with . But 4 now I agree its his chance at love with Elena* can’t wait to see how College is gonna end up and if Stefan is going 2 attend a college hmm oh and I wonder who will notice 1st if the Stefan is rli nt stefan its Silus and who finds Stefan:D and for Jeremy I’m glad his back his had a hard life and now lost Bonnie 2 :( I like Jeremy..* aNd I hope Bonnie returns from the dead somehow:( nothing will be the same without her..I’m obsessed with TVD and I love all of u:)

5. Amelia says:

so excite that jeremy is alive and i’m 1000%a Delena fan and I really want bonnie to come back alive in season 5.so excite to see what you fabulous writers. and actors bring!

6. Jess says:

I think series 4 ended perfectly. I couldn’t have asked for better. I can not wait for season 5. Always wanted to see Damon and Elena together. Damon is my fav character it’s gonna be nice to see him happy and get what he wants for a change.

7. Tatyana Moodie says:

I know I have to wait and see what becomes of Stephan. Damon is cute but I’ve been on team stephan from day 1 and I’m hopeing once Elana finds out what silas has done to Stephan, all her feelings for stephan will rush back. Given that stephan did not actually take the cure for himself which he could have done but knowing how much he still cares for Elana he gave it back so she could decide what she wanted to do with it. Luckly too, because if he hadint Katherine could have killed Elana for good. I don’t think Elana is still sired to Damon. I think she has forgotten about all the things Stephan has done for her, how much he loved her and how much he had fought to make her human again. Remember, Elana never wanted to be a vampire. She also told damon from the beginning that she loved Stephan and it has always been Stephan.

8. Jae says:

I know its all opinion, and its great you love the show as much as you do… I never miss it, I too feel their emotions with them as they happen, and it effects me the whole night and the next day. When jer died, I almost was depressed the next day… I felt like my heart had been ripped out. Now I realize ppl love Stefan and Elena… heck, damon has been my favorite since episode 1, but who i wanted for Elena, it was Stefan. .. until I realized her feelings were changing. And who could blame her.. stefan was a Dick! Now people Harsh on Damon all the time for being the bad choice, the bad brother, etc… but he has NEVER been anything but Damon… Stefan is a freaking walking time bomb. Put in the situation, I’d hands down go to Damon… he is wayyyy more stable than Stefan. I love them both… but For Elena, he’s better for her (at this point in the story) and good hell, its about gosh dang time he was the happy one. His life breaks my heart over and over again. I say if ur so upset with how they write the story… stop watching it. It bugs when ppl try to convince someone its bad… its not bad writing just because it didn’t turn out how you wanted. Its still a great show. I’m not happy with a few things either, but its still my favorite show, I’m still their biggest fan, and I still will watch it over and over again even tho I’ve seen every episode prolly 10 times easy. Seriously, its almost scary how obsessed I am with this show.

Long story short… Julie Plec you have done an Amazing job, and I can’t wait for next season! And every season after that.

9. Okay I read a handful of these comments and glanced at the rest to a point and I haven’t seen this point/question given any attention. Stefan is locked in a freaking metal box drowning!!!! Will he be back? Forget that he’s Silas’s doppleganger, I mean yeah holy crap, but who cares if he ends up being dead. Nobody other then the two of them would know. So Yes, I love everyone on the show. Yes, I hate Damon with Elena though he does need love from somewhere, and Yes, I thought the finale was filled with many O M G type moments. However, my main concern is WHAT THE FREAK HAPPENS TO STEFAN!!!!!?????

• Cas says:

They are probably remembering he is a vampire and it will take more than drowning to kill him. Plus being a main character it is unlikely he will be killed off.

10. rahul says:

goooshhh i love stefan and elena together <3
    eagerly waiting for vampire diaries season 5!!

11. Julchen says:

They should definitely deepen Klaus’ and Caroline’s relationship and storyline. It’s such an intriguing storyline and the chemistry is just magical. We just have to show the writers that we really want this couple to happen… They are good for each other!!!! All bad that Klaus has done is a result of him being hurt by everyone he loves (not that I defend his actions) and Caroline was the one to realize this early on. Moreover he sees the inner beauty that Caroline holds behind her beautiful facade… If he just falls in love with another girl in The Originals and if it’s not Care who will help to redeem him then this would destroy his epic character completely. In heart he is old fashioned and romantic, so it would be ridiculous if he forgets about Caroline after she is the one he fell in love with again.. after 1000 years!!! His love for her is pure … God, I just love them. I am in my mid 20s and I truly think they are the most mature couple with the best chemistry and the most potential of an extraordinary storyline. They should really move Caroline to NOLA after season 5. They could be the lead actors of the show and rock the new city together…

12. Lila says:

My sister and I used to be confused. We are neither Delena nor Stelena. Sometimes we wer delena and sometimes stelena but the last episode of the season 4 was so emotional that I was very sorry for Stefan and I want him back with elena; they meant to be together. Please CW, hear our prayers! ;(

13. Guest says:

My god. I can´t stand it. Delena or Stelena i don´t care. This girl needs to stop playing with these boys hearts. She is just like Kathrine – Damon needs to find a girl that just choose him for the man he is (the bad boy not a puppy) and Stefan needs to find a girl that don´t play with his heart. I am looking forward to see what happens in season 5 because i hope the brothers choose another person then Elena. Elena needs to grow up.

14. Tori says:

Ok i cannot seriously wait for season five i jus cant watch the show tho knowing tht stefan is dead it jus wont be the same without him they should give him a comeback also along with alaric and jenna and lexi but for them to stay. And i know wut the stelena fans r talkin bout ima fan of both theyre both really graet couples and i also think rebekah and matt would make a cute couple if u put aside their diferences as human and vampire but it seemed like she had her eye on him for a while and also with silas and damon as brothers thts jus playin weird well i cant wait for season five and season four was not a let down at all !

• sls says:

Stefan isn’t dead and from what I’ve seen online Julie says he won’t be down for the count for long. Then we will have two Stefan’s running around I’m guessing.

For now, he’s locked in the safe, drowning repeatedly but not actually staying dead as drowning won’t permanently kill a vampire.

15. Tori says:

Also does anyone know wich book is the season five book id be glad if someone would tell me

16. Kayla says:

I honestly think the ship wars are getting a bit ridiculous but i realize, this being a tv show about a love triangle and all that it is unavoidable. That being said both sides can fight to the ends of the earth about who is better for elena who deserves who, blah blah blah but in the end it’s still the same arguments used over and over again and every1 is gonna have their own opinions and its not gonna change over night. I personally prefer Delena and absolutely loved the scene in the finale but i don’t think it’s the end of stelena for good (as much as i would like it to be) we have to be realistic here, it’s a show about a love triangle so of course they’re gonna keep it going. As for people finding it ridiculous that she chose damon i don’t find it ridiculous at all, they’ve had 4 years of built up tension and it was only a matter of time before they explored it. People need to remember that Elena is a teenage girl and teenage girls are emotional and can change their minds at the drop of the hat plus she’s been through so much and still trying to figure out who she is as a person and what she wants in life so to me her exploring a relationship with damon makes perfect sense. She’s trying to figure out her life and yes maybe it would’ve been better if she had taken some time by herself instead of being with one of the brothers but this is a tv show and they want to move everything along and make fans happy. I just think at the end of the day we have to remember that these are fictional characters on a fictional tv show, we’re all gonna have different opinions and tastes but at the end of the day we watch the show because we like all like it for some reason or another and if in the end elena chooses damon or if she finds her way back to stefan or hell if she ends up on her own than so be it. As long as the writers make it believable and interesting i’ll stay tuned

17. Sus says:

Stefan is boring and predictable!
    Damon is so hot, interesting and devoted!

18. taty says:

I love delena. He was that coldblooded guy but he’s the one who really loved elena when she was human and after she was turned into a vampire! The whole story has a twist now. I mean stefan used to be the good guy and now he’s the doppelganger of silas. I really hope that Car feels sth real for klaus. Love them as well! Love the whole story. Cant wait for season 5!!

19. Darrell Wyatt says:

Damnnnn im pissed alaric is not coming back he was a bosssss and the only person that really like damon ha..

20. like elena dating damon nice person okay cut couple damon dining rose flower there bedroom sleep dance carry elena army,

21. Miller simon says:

Am one of the bigest fans of vampire dairies,i love damon he is my best actor in the movie.let keep our finger cross and watch the tv show.

22. Miller simon says:

Am one of the bigest fans of vampire dairies,i love damon he is my best actor in the movie.let keep our finger cross and watch nexst season 5

23. Zoe says:

I absolutely love the show it’s all i ever watch and i can’t wait for it to return on my screen. i think the storylines are excellent and are working really well. I do however think that Elena and Stefan are meant to be together even though i love Damon to pieces. Elena used to be one of my favourites but the tables have turned and now i absolutely love Katherine. It will be interesting to see how she is as a human, surely they wouldn’t kill her off? I’m a bit disappointed that Lexi had to leave again! but i think it will be interesting to see who stefan forms a new romance with if ever??

24. Dalaric says:

Am I the only one that noticed the Jeremy-Damon roommate situation? Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for discussing stelena & delena but this is the most surprising thing mentioned. Damon and Jeremy living in the same house sounds like a ridiculously toxic arrangement. I can’t wait to see how that works out.

25. Jaclyn says:

Can I still be hopeful that is was Silas was disguised as elena and told Damon she loved him??? So he would get Stefan to leave and be on the cliff instead of damon?!?? Because Damon is completely wrong for her………&& she needs to go back to Stefan. Everything she did was for him until she got sired. She was on her way to see Stefan when she realized him and Damon were gonna die (before she got in the accident anyways) stelena all the way<3

26. peimi says:

I can’t understand why so many here diss delena. Damon hasn’t really properly gotten a chance to prove his love for Elena. But,, he did want Elena to take the cure even though he prefers vampire Elena. Also, when elenawas with stefan, Damon was just sad by himself and when Damon was with Elena stefan kept going berserk just bcuz of a little kiss or something. Elena loves them both,, except that apparently she doesn’t love stefan anymore. So, what’s your problem? She’s with the person she loves

27. peimi says:

Of course, it’s fine to say stuff like “aww, i really liked stelena” or “man, i reeeeally wanted Elena to be with stefan, but to write so much about Elena’s and stefan’s “undying love” and how Elena and Damon aren’t real is just stupid. Cuz they are. However, i can’t help but wonder if anything will ever happen between Elena and Elija …

28. Mcayla says:

Elena is sierd to Damon so its not real love it was never real its like the episode when Klaus asks Tyler to bite Caroline at first he says no but when his wit Caroline he does it so Elena can reply how ever she wants to at what Damon says but in the End she does everything he says and the bond includes loyalty and stuff so even if Elena wants to go to Stefan the fact that Damon turned her and she has his blood in her system changes everything she feels that she owes Damon because she doesn’t have to suffer any more she’s no more weak and I really believe that Stefan and Elena are meant to be forever and ever eternally because I can relate to the whole thing except for the Vampire Part but my ex is just like Stefan and my boyfriend is like Damon and I love them both but I will always love my ex more and the thing is that my ex and my boyfriend are cousins and I’m always having days with both of them and I sit and think about my ex and I all the time but I feel like I owe my boyfriend because he was there for me in times that my ex couldn’t be so I understand… TEAM STELENA ETERNALLY

29. Mcayla says:

You can c that Elena will always love Stefan and Stefan fought through the compulsion for Elena but Damon never would he doesn’t love her that much and your say that he didn’t get a chance but he did Elena died for Stefan and still would she and Stefan should be together forever and Damon should be with Katherine they were always the same and they were made for each other Stefan and Elena’s love is pure and passionate they good together and Stefan didn’t even want to know about what happened between Elena and Damon so don’t say that about him but I would really love it if Elena and Katherine both died because there’s nothing like Damon and Stefan’s bond they may try to hide it but its there Damon would save Stefan before he even thinks about Elena or Even Katherine and Stefan would do the same if it came down to either Damon or Elena Stefan would Choose Damon so these girls just ruin everything and in season one its starts off and Stefan say “This is my story” so I believe that there’s no need for those stupid girls ok mayb just Keep Katherine I like the way she is but Elena is too caring and Klaus and Caroline should be together they are perfect together!!!!!

30. Elena says:

I believe that Elena should be with Stefan I like them as a couple and if killed me when they broke up!

31. Elena says:

I want klaus and Caroline together and Stefan and Elena together! It makes me mad that they aren’t! They are way better than her and Damon!

32. Mcayla says:

That is so true Elena. Stefan is a really sweety and he deserves Elena

33. anum says:

please bring backa elena and stefan together

34. serena says:

35. desiree says:

this is so weird its like the season is beginning again i mean Silas is Stefan and Stefan is almost dead and Katherine is human real twist accept that tyler isn’t there and delena is going maybe she’s still with him because of the syre bond man to bad shes not a hybrid than she could turn into a wolf till it hurts less and unsyres herself i mean like when she turned it off she sad all those horrible moments that i spent with you to damon.
    SORRY MY NAME IS DESIREE NOT SERENA DIDN’T KNOW HOW THIS WORKS

36. Mcayla says:

Yes nd its like Katherine nd Elena switched places because Elena was human nd Katherine was a Vampire nd nw its da other was around and the whole series is about Stefan’s life not about anyone else so I wish that Elena could die because Stefan and Damon have a unbreakable bond

37. Charlotte says:

I just want Stefan and Elena to be together!!!! She said it was always be Stefan at the beginning so i hope they will get back together.

38. Victoria says:

I am a huge STELENA fan and I do believe they are meant to be together forever but she needs to experience someone else before deciding this. Similarly I love Tyler and Caroline however I believe her and Klaus are the endgame and will end up together forever.
    Damon is currently her first love because they met first ever though she dated Stefan first. She experiencing a lot of dramatic change but if you research the first few seasons you cannot deny that what Elena and Stefan shared is magical and true love.
    Yes, I am a believe of high school sweethearts lasting. My parents are high school sweethearts, so are my Grandparents and all my aunts and uncles. I hope I can say I am too someday.
    Damon is a necessary phase but I hope it passes soon and we see more STELENA because they make me a fan if the show.

39. Mcayla says:

Lol that’s so true nd I found my high school sweet heart and he makes me very happy but I don’t know just yet but back to Stefan and Elena when you love someone so much it doesn’t just disappear she still loves him deep down even if he had to cheat or something their love is pure so they will always love each other no matter what or who comes in their way

40. KJ says:

I can’t wait for Vampire Diaries, I LOVE Caroline and Klaus, and Elena and Damon, as for Stefan I want to see him with someone wild and fun because the poor boy is always moody. He needs a smile or two

41. Mcayla says:

No Elena has 2 be wit Stefan they symbolize true love and make me think that any relationship can work if there’s hope

42. letsgetfricke says:

Doesn’t make sense for stefan to end with elena. How fair is it that both elena and Katherine love stefan over Damon? Tad bit prejudice

43. Mcayla says:

Well its not Stefan’s fault that Katherine loves him his always loved Elena and he even said that he doesn’t love Katherine only Damon loved her so Stefan deserves to be happy

44. Felix says:

Elena and stefan are epic lovers please make it right on season 5

45. Jessica says:

I just lost so many characters i loved and the couples i loved didnt stay forever or not even happened. If Katherine dies in this next season i will be so done with this so. I love Stefan and Elena together. But now i really hate her more than everyone else. I love Klaus and Caroline. But mostly i love elijah and katherine. There was something really beautiful between them. Or maybe it was just that i love katherine and elijah more than anyone else. I hate the fact that katherine is a human now. Idk, i just loved her so much as a vampire. Im not really expecting to be happy with the next season because i hated the end of the fourth one but im still hoping for the best. Just dont let katherine die.

46. Mcayla says:

Stefen and Elena all the way

47. Nunyabizness says:

Elena loves stefan but shes not in love. The sire bond with damon didn’t change her feelings it made her do whatever damon said to do. Stefan was put in a box and thrown into a body of water and silas is here now so pretty much, their relationship is screwed. As a human, elena held back her feelings for damon and tried to believe she was meant for stefan but as a vampire, her feelings were magnified. She even said to damon that if she met him first, she’d be in love with him. Obviously you see from her flash back that she met damon first. With stefan, it was boring and with damon its exciting because its unpredictable. Delena is an ideal match.

48. janice says:

seriously,delena is just perfect.elena said it herself dat if she met damon first,he would have been e one and dats exactly wats hapening.she met him first n loves him far more than she eva loved stephan.

49. janice says:

delena is cul.i love them togeda.

50. Mcayla says:

Hell No!!! Get a life… Elena loves Stefan nd Damon doesn’t love Elena as much as Stefan does. Stefan isn’t boring he just had to be that way because of the blood lust