Post Mortem: Vampire Diaries Boss on Silas' Agenda, Tyler's Future and 'Delena' Challenges

Vampire Diaries Season 5 SpoilersWarning: The following article contains major spoilers from Thursday’s season finale of The Vampire Diaries. Proceed at your own risk!

Thursday’s season finale of Vampire Diaries delivered several juicy twists — Stefan is Silas’ doppelganger! Katherine’s human! Jer’s alive, but Bonnie’s still a ghost! — and left us with even more burning questions. Is the newly mortal Kat about to get killed? Will no one notice something’s off with Stefan? And is Tyler finally going to come home?

TVLine went to executive producer Julie Plec to get answers on that and so much more.

RELATED | May Sweeps Scorecard: Who Died? Who Broke Up? Who Got Engaged?

TVLINE | What’s Silas’ agenda as Stefan? Is he going to be sticking around town for some purpose?
I can’t say whether he’ll be sticking around town, although I can say that he’ll definitely be coming back to town when we get back into the next season. His agenda has always been to cure himself, to get rid of the other side so that he could then die and pass over and find peace. That will remain his agenda. The question is: How will he go about it? Everything he meant to do this year blew up in his face.

TVLINE | Can he really fool everyone into thinking he’s Stefan?
He’s going to give it a good college try. He is, after all, psychic, as well. So he can get inside people’s heads and make them think whatever he wants. It’s not like we’re going to play an entire season of The Parent Trap. [Laughs] But there will be some funny times right at the beginning of the season.

Vampire Diaries Season 5 SpoilersTVLINE | Now that Katherine is a human – and given that she’s pissed off her fair share of people in Mystic Falls – what’s to stop everyone from killing her?
Absolutely nothing is going to stop everyone from trying to kill her. That’s what puts her in a pickle that is going to have her seeking out protection from unlikely sources.

VIDEO | New Fall TV Show Trailers from The CW

TVLINE | With Stefan gone, Damon with Elena, and Klaus and Elijah on The Originals, who is left to care about what becomes of her?
[Laughs] That’s the realization she comes to over her summer break. “Oh, boy, did I screw up, and now my chickens are coming home to roost.” She’s definitely going to find herself on the wrong end of a lot of vendettas.

TVLINE | So Nina [Dobrev] will be playing two characters again for a pretty significant portion of the next season?
Yeah. We’ll definitely see a great storyline with Katherine as a human, and a great, fun one with Damon and Elena trying to make their relationship work as she heads off to college and starts her new life.

TVLINE | Speaking of, why Damon? What were you hoping to get to explore in Elena choosing Damon?
Damon’s a character who’s been driven by feeling like he’s not worthy of love. Now that he’s on the receiving end of that love, what will that mean for him? And where will he have to make changes in him, in his behavior? Or will he still be, “I am who I am. You love me for who I am. I’m not going to change for you”? It’ll be a fun dynamic to see him either trying to exercise restraint or not being able to exercise restraint in the name of love of this girl, especially as he’s got a new houseguest. He’s [living] with Jeremy Gilbert as Elena goes off to college.

TVLINE | It seemed like Caroline and Tyler are poised for a reunion. Will Michael Trevino be back next season as a regular?
Michael Trevino is still under contract. When he’ll return, we can’t say yet. He is going to have the opportunity to return to Caroline’s life in Mystic Falls. The question is, will he want to take it, given everything he’s been through since he’s been gone, which will be fun for us to learn — like what kind of life he’s been leading on the run.

RELATED | Fall TV Schedule 2013 — What’s On When? And Against What?

Vampire Diaries Season 5 SpoilersTVLINE | That last scene between Caroline and Klaus was so loaded with emotion and potential. Is there any chance at all of having Caroline move to The Originals? Or was that the capper on ‘Klaroline’ for now?
It’s not the capper, per se. We’ll have to be more judicious with the moments between them. We’ll see. Klaus has a long journey ahead of him. He’s got a very, very, very long road toward being a redeemed character. He hasn’t exactly been a peach. Even when he does nice things for Caroline, they don’t necessarily offset all the nasty things he’s done to her and all her friends. So as Caroline grows up and goes to college and experience a new phase of her life, we’ll see if she is still drawn to him and if he’s making the kind of changes that make her want to have him in her life at all.

TVLINE | Bonnie is still a series regular, so how does she fit into the scope of the show with only one person being able to see her?
She fits very much into the scope of the show as she tries to deal with the fact that what she thought maybe wouldn’t be so difficult actually is. The absence of physical touch and physical connection with the boy that she likes, just that alone makes her feel really distant. We’ll get to see her more in her own life a little bit as she tries to figure out ways to keep her secret — [and] also stay on top of her friends and what they’re doing and if they’re safe.

TVLINE | I’m surprised you didn’t find a way to keep Alaric (Matt Davis) around.
[Laughs] Put it this way, I was all on board with that pitch. I think it felt like if we kept everybody that we loved, we’d have an entire, new, double ensemble of series regulars.

TVLINE | Now that Katherine’s human, can Klaus use her to make more hybrids? Is that something he might be concerned about on The Originals?
Given his experience with his hybrids, he might be a little gun-shy about creating another army that could potentially be used against him.

Vampire Diaries fans, keep checking TVLine for lots more scoop about Season 5!

1. Quana says:

Yessss Finally she picked Damon. Elena and Damon are more interesting and unpredictable. I do agree that Jerm could of been left dead. I hope the show Keeps Elena decision final. I am really tired of the flip flopping and crying. But Delena <3 💕👏😊

2. Michael says:

Maybe the woman who Silas was in love with (the woman Qetsiyah killed because he didnt love her)will turn out to be the ‘orginal’ Petrova doppelganger…Seeing as both stefan and elena are doppelgangers they will end up together..fingers crossed!

3. K. says:

Hope I’m not the only one but I wish Damon would figure out that Elena’s not his true love and dump her and choose to find/save his brother for once….

4. kaylin says:

• VampireDiaries says:

It wasn’t stefan’s choice to let her die . She told him to save matt first so he wouldn’t die.

5. kaylin says:

You guys don’t know what you’re talking about when elena became vampire all stephan could do is try to fix her while damon was still charming as always exeping her either way! He’s love is unpredictable and its out of control while stephans love is safe and serouisly annoying to see how he is never able to make the choices that has to be made to save elenas life and I think they make a perfect couple besides damon cares more in a way hed do anything to safe elena and stefan is why she died! I’m a bif fan of both damon and stefan!! And claus and caroline make a great couple so do matt and rebekka although I love the fact that catherine is back to human not fond that they didn’t bring back alaric and lexxi but futher they are doing a great job get stephan someone else like maybe caroline or catherine they might fit

• jade183 says:

Hate to see your definition of charming… maybe it was stripping in front of your brothers girlfriend or maybe it was when he made her drink his blood for his own pleasure…yep that’s charming.

• Stefan was only trying to fix her BECAUSE Elena told him she couldn’t do it (be a vampire)anymore. Damon did not and does not know Elena as well as Stefan does. Damon did not see Elena’s reaction when she thought she was going to become a vampire (because of Damon’s selfishness) at the end of season 2. Stefan did – he knows that Elena NEVER wanted to become a vampire so why is everyone so mad at him for trying to help her? It did seem to get a little possessive at times after she chose Damon but c’mon, she just jumped on Damon right after they broke up. What guy wouldn’t be hurt and upset after that? To me it seems obvious that Elena and Stefan are supposed to be together. Their relationship may not be as dramatic as Elena and Damon’s but I like that her and Stefan and a much more normal, real relationship. It allowed the show to really focus on the other storylines instead of the love triangle. That is why I think seasons 1 and 2 were so much better than the last two seasons. We had a great, epic love story in Stefan and Elena and the other storylines didn’t suffer and were original and kept you on the edge of your seat. Damon’s character was also so great, I do think he just wants to be loved and that he doesn’t necessarily know how to handle it.

6. VampireDiariesforlife says:

So , is stefan going to die ? because if that happen , that will be so sad :(( please don’t make him dieeee

7. Munax says:

l dont like the idea that everyone thinks damon get everything and not stefan.To begin with stefan has saved damon life mo than l can count and stefan was the one katherine loved and also elena. And her new object of desire,damon isnt only bad for her but everybody around her.Damon is crazy,impulsive,reckless,demented and mentally unstable and elena brings the best out of him. Damon needs elena and unfortunately there will never be stelena but look on the brightside maybe stefan will find someone he deserves.Klaus may have been evil in the past,but he is evolving into a loveable individual and he will get caroline in the end when he deserves her.

8. jade183 says:

Elena choosing Damon proved she has lost basic thinking skills.

9. Sarah says:

Simply love delena. Haf bin rooting for them since ghe first season! Lol. Stefans cool yes but damons got so much more to himself. Loved the intense scene between damon and elena. Just want Elena to stick to him now NO MATTER WHT. Theyve got great chemistry together. So much better than stelena.

10. Jenna says:

They should of brought Lexi back cause now stefan has no one. Elena didnt choose him and he’s mad at Damon. Damon took everything from him!!! He took his uncle, his best friend, and most of all, THE LOVE OF HIS LIFE. AND SOME HOW DAMON GETS THE HAPOY ENDING??!!!??? AND STELENA OVER ANYTHING. ELENA AND DAMON ARE SO UGLY TOGETHER. He killed her brother, her almost turned her into a vampire twice!!!! STEFAN HAD TO BE COMPELLED 3 TIMES TO DRINK FROM HER AND HE NEVER HURT JEREMY IF COMPELLED ELENA. DAMIN COMPELLED HER TWICE! THE ENDING OUSSED ME OFF!!!! IN THE SECOND SEASON KATHRINE TURNED HIM DOWN SO HE TOOK ELENA FROM STEFAN!!!! THE ENDING SHOULD OF BERN ELENA CHOOSING STEFAN!!!!

• Courtney says:

In case you missed the first four seasons of the show let me point something out to you. Damon has never once had the happy ending. Stefan is the golden boy who always got the happy ending even if he didn’t deserve it. Regarding the whole compelling thing, in the end Stefan still drank from Elena and almost killed her. He did not resist the compulsion. Neither did Damon. Damon told Jeremy to kill him because he would rather die than do something that would hurt Elena. Damon didn’t swoop in and “take” Elena from Stefan. Their relationship is complex and slowly built over the course of four seasons. Btw, I am not a Damon/Elena fan or a Stefan/Elena fan. As far as I’m concerned Stefan has taken way more from Damon than Damon has ever taken from Stefan.

• Rosie says:

Katherine didn’t turn down damon, he turned down Katherine. And Stefan has done horrible things to elena. I have always loved damon but used to be a Stelena fan because they were happy. I cried at the season 3 opener, when they were on the phone. But after all the horrible things Stefan did to elena in season 3, even AFTER klaus gave him his freedom, that was unforgivable. Stelena is dead to me, although at this point Stefan and elena are both super annoying so whatever.

• Cas says:

I wish more Stelena fans thought like you. They seem to forget all the bad things Stefan did to Elena. At least Damon doesn’t try to hide who he is. They are both bad and do bad things is what it boils down to.

11. sls says:

I’m surprised to see so many Stelena fans. I was honestly starting to think there weren’t many left. Every time I saw an online poll over who Elena should be with, Damon was always in a major lead.

I think the bashing that continues on over Damon, and Klaus, being evil rapists is so out of line. Sure, everyone has their opinions. I get that. But it’s a television show. If you find it so offensive and you honestly see these characters as rapists, why continue to watch the show? Of course, for the other characters….um….no. If you find a television show so repulsive and offensive then just stop watching it.

Based on the bashing, I’m starting to wonder if many (not all) people that hate Damon and Klaus and think Stefan is Elena’s soul mate, true love, etc. aren’t more Black and White, Inside-the-box, type people, while those (again, not all) that like Damon and Klaus tend to be more, Shades of Grey, outside-the-box type people.

Yes I realize this is a generalization and I’m sure that will piss off many people. It’s an observation based on all of the bashing from both sides. Just like who you like and if the show and the characters offend you, do everyone a favor and either stop watching or tone down the talk about rape. It’s an over-reach and your interpretation of a purposefully “Grey” area. It’s socially insensitive to throw around the topic with the levity some posters are while continuing to bash characters and situations that are NOT CLEARLY RAPE. Try to be a bit more sensitive with your words.

• Hodan says:

The Delena fans like me are too happy with the season finale to even care about shipping wars right now. And DE/Damon do win every TVD polls because the fan-base are huge.

• jim says:

I agree that the rape comments are out of line. Both are controlling at times but anything further than that is going into a grey area. As far as polls and such- I’ve always found Delena fans to be much more hardcore about vocalising their opinions, so it doesn’t surprise me to think there are more of them.

• Courtney says:

I completely agree. The rape comments are insensitive and completely out of line. Thank you for addressing this!

• Cathy O. says:

Thanks sis for addressing this. Bravo!

• bethann says:

Sorry – I feel a little compelled to respond to this one. Being hard on Damon and Klaus’ actions, especially toward women, I don’t think is coming from mostly inside-the-box types at all; saying that seems more of a way to disenfranchise their opinions by implying that they’re not free-thinkers, and is honestly just insulting. And telling people who do judge the show’s portrayal of abuse that they’re the ones being insensitive just sounds like something out of the Tea Party manifesto… understanding that logic might make me dumber, so I won’t. I think if you took a poll of viewers that were critical of Damon’s or Klaus’ actions or were comparing these to rape or abuse, you’d find more independent-thinkers who don’t think that you can get away with abuse just cause you’re hot, and people who are sensitive to rape culture and worry that the show isn’t sending a good message to young women (all the money in my pocket I’d bet that Klaus polls better with women 14-20 than 24-30). I don’t hate either character, but that’s because I understand that the writers aren’t intentionally portraying rape and abuse. Lots of this vampire-world stuff doesn’t have a real world equivalent – some of it does.
      Caroline, deciding she wanted to get away from Damon and him compelling her to continue the “relationship” – that’s taking away her choice to consent. In the real world, altering a woman’s mental facilities to engage in sex isn’t a “grey area” unless you’re Todd Aiken. That said, the show is fiction, and I honestly think this was a case of the writers not thinking this stuff through. In the real world, this is rape, and there’s no way around it; but on the show, morality is altered, and the theme of redemption runs deep, so we can contextualize the actions and move on. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t call a spade a spade.
      Another one: Klaus having Caroline bitten so that he’s the only one who can help her – this kind of just made me sick. When teenage girls flocked to the internet to declare how “hot” the scene of him feeding her blood was – this made me cry. Being incapacitated by someone and put in a position where you’re forced to depend on them (Kathy Bates in misery here – maybe if she were hot, the movie could have been a love story), that’s abuse. Some women have actually had a man beat the crap out of them just to poise himself as the only one who can provide help. It’s not sexy.
      I don’t hate these characters at all, rather, I think that the SHOW has made the missteps here in their handling of sensitive subjects. I can like the show and not like the way it handles a certain issue, and I think I can do it without being told to stop watching, thanks.

• sls says:

First off, I want to be clear here: I have no political agenda nor am I trying to “disenfranchise” anyone or any opinion. I stated my opinion based on what I was observing. I said I was starting to wonder about these things not that I believed that this in-the-box/out-of-the-box impression was some kind of fact. On top of that, I never said that being in or out of the box sort of thinkers were good or bad. I also stated that it didn’t apply to everyone and that I was aware of the fact that I was making a generalization.

If you have found yourself insulted by my opinion/observation and choose to see inside-the-box people as lacking the ability to be free thinkers, that’s fine. It’s your opinion. I don’t think inside-the-box people aren’t capable of free-thinking just that they are more comfortable with what lies within the box, the status quo, the “norm”, and in this case, this fictional universe, that MAYBE those that prefer Stefan to Damon MIGHT be inside-the-box thinkers as Stefan is the hero archetype as opposed to Damon, the anti-hero.

Personally, I know plenty of in and out of the box types and don’t see being inside the box as something to take offense to. You obviously do. Difference of opinion.

And, perhaps you should re-read what I wrote here. I never said that everyone who sees Damon and Klaus’ behavior as abuse is being insensitive. I specifically said some of those that are declaring what they did rape were being insensitive with some of their language regarding rape…rape specifically…not just abuse. My point was simply for people to be a little more careful about their wording as some people were throwing around the word rape a little too recklessly, for my tastes anyway.

I don’t care if someone saw what they did as rape. I don’t disagree that it was a definite gray area with both Damon and Klaus’ behaviors toward the females. I can totally see how some people would see this as rape. What I don’t understand is if someone sees it as rape and is so totally offended by the characters, the writers, the show, then why do they keep watching it? It’s something I don’t understand. You said you can like a show and not like the way it handles certain issues. Yes, of course. I understand that completely. But what I don’t understand is being so offended by the characters/writers that you feel absolutely disgusted and appalled and yet continue to watch the show. I can’t relate to that which was my point.

I’m not saying that the opinion isn’t valid. I personally wouldn’t continue to watch a show that I felt offended me, my beliefs, and my sensibilities to the degree some posters seem to have experienced. I’m not sure if you read through all of the comments or not. I did. Some were insensitive regarding rape. The word was used in ways I found insensitive. Period.

As far as your Tea Party comment…I’m not even sure what to say here. I’m not very political, am registered as a Libertarian, and am over 40 so perhaps our opinions, or the way in which we express ourselves, doesn’t lend itself to seeing eye to eye. But I, for sure, have no political agenda or leanings that I imposed or infused into my post. Anything that may have come across to you that way was something your inferred and not some I meant to imply.

You said it made you cry “When teenage girls flocked to the internet to declare how “hot” the scene of him feeding her blood was”. I can understand why this opinion would bother some women. But not all women share the same ideas of what is “hot”, and neither do teenage girls.

As for this: “Being incapacitated by someone and put in a position where you’re forced to depend on them (Kathy Bates in misery here – maybe if she were hot, the movie could have been a love story), that’s abuse. Some women have actually had a man beat the crap out of them just to poise himself as the only one who can provide help. It’s not sexy.” That very thing, being incapacitated by someone and being forced to depend on them is an exceptionally arousing fantasy to many women. I get that idea is offensive to some. Personally, I don’t have much of a submissive side or desire for such things. But I know many women who find that sort of thing very hot. Do I understand it? No. Do I judge it or get offended by their feelings/opinions/desires, No!!!

You want to call a spade a spade. Great. Find a spade and call it one. But on this fictional television show about supernatural beings sometimes a spade is really spider. So, if you want to call someone a spider, or call them a spade, I just hope for a little more sensitivity in some of the posts. Gee, I didn’t know asking for a little more sensitivity meant I had a political agenda and was hell bent on disenfranchising women everywhere.

I don’t know how old you are or what your life experiences have been but in my 40+ years I have come to find that many times some of those (um hello..not all!) that think of themselves as free-thinkers are some of the most narrow-minded of us all. I’m not saying this applies to you. I don’t know you. To me, in-the-box thinking isn’t a negative thing. And I think women should be free to find anything hot and sexy, even things I personally find objectionable.

• sls says:

I also want to add that my initial comments were made regarding the TVLine Vampire Diaries articles in general, not solely this article. Many of us have been commenting on these recaps (and other TVD articles) all season. So, for anyone reading the comments to just this article may not understand my frustration with the rape comments. Based on the comments for just this article my comments may seem unjust to some but my comments were really regarding the TVLine TVD comments in general.

• bethann says:

I think I understand your point of view better now. Not knowing you were talking about a conglomeration of articles and comments, it reads as though you’re saying anyone who interprets the show’s portrayal of sex without consent as rape (I’m referring solely to the Damon/Caroline season one thing here, as this is the only instance of sex without consent the show has portrayed that I can remember) needs to “tone it down”. The political comments I made were simply topical references to the past year’s many instances of politicians laughably calling textbook rape a “grey area”. I didn’t mean to imply you were disenfranchising women everywhere, but that by relegating those who do think that this was rape to the inside-the-box, status quo, normative category, you seemed to be implying they were unable to think… well, *outside-the-box (I do understand you don’t think one is necessarily better or worse than the other; personally, I agree and really the only negative I find in either is the inability or unwillingness to try and see another’s perspective, regardless of inside or outside the box status – a thing I am frequently guilty of myself), and I don’t think this is the case. That said, I didn’t know that you were referring to a specific group of posters who were being extreme in their criticism.
            Maybe the posters you’re referring to, tossing “rape” around right and left are being insensitive – I certainly haven’t read all the comments, but I also think there’s some sensitivity to be had in letting people who are legitimately reacting to this part of TVD story as being rape, have that opinion and still be entitled to watch and enjoy the show. And I happen to like a lot of things that have offended me at one point or another – I think it’s part of being a consumer of expressive media. You’re going to encounter things you don’t agree with, and I think it’s valid to have some negative opinions on something and still enjoy it.
            As for the Klaus/Caroline incapacitation thing, I do think it should be clarified that the incapacitation fantasy, yes, can certainly be arousing for some, and more power to them. But – and this is just my opinion – without consent to the incapacitation, it’s an act of abuse. I don’t know if adding that caveat of consent means that I’m judging what people find “hot”, but, for me, consent really is needed. Two consenting adults – hey, anything goes. I just personally think it’s a not-so-great idea, even in a fantasy world, to present non-consensual acts of abuse with a backdrop of romantic music on a show watched primarily by young women.
            Now, do I think that the characters are evil rapists/women beaters? No. I happen to like both these characters, and that’s because it’s obviously not the intent of the show to characterize them as Chris-Browns-on-crack. And therein lies my only hangup with the show (aside from some occasional silliness – I hope I’m not the only one who has to stifle a laugh every time the phase “flip the humanity switch” is used (: ): that it has, on occasion, presented something that is abusive and seemed to not understand that, that was what it is.

• sls says:

For the most part, I don’t disagree with many of the points you have raised. Really, I should have posted my original post on the TVD article that came out right before this one. This post came out shortly after the first recap and I mentally moved all of my feelings from the last few TVD articles over to this post once this one came out.

And I totally agree, you can encounter some things you find negative or that you don’t care for and still enjoy a show. My comments were geared more towards the posts from previous articles that seemed totally devastated by the show. I can’t relate to that sort of Hatred for a show and then continuing to watch it and comment about it.

Maybe it’s me, though. Maybe there is some kind of enjoyment people get from hate-watching shows that I simply don’t understand.

As far as the rape comments go, those too were more based off of some of the comments over the course of the season. The sire bond really brought up interesting and thought-provoking questions regarding consent, very valid points worth discussing. I can see why many people thought of Damon’s actions as rape. I didn’t but if this happened in real life I would probably feel differently.

So, I’m glad you called me out on this because it allowed me to provide more context to my original post. I think those that have followed the articles over the season knew where I was coming from but anyone reading comments on just this article wouldn’t. :)

• Tara says:

I think it’s called being controlling and possesive i don’t think any of it is rape. I mean to use the term so casually, it is insensitive especially to women who have gone through that because what was depicted on the show was by no means rape. I think u need to talk to someone who has gone through that because to me u are and others are using the term carelessy.

• Tara says:

In my previous comment i was preferring to Damon and Kluas’s behavior or treatment of women but as far as the sire bond thing with Damon and Elena at no point in time did Damon demand or force Elena to have sex with him nor did she refuse his affections so no i don’t see how people can interpert that as rape and again people are using the term carelessly.

12. Brendon Anthony says:

I really hate Elena by choosing Damon!!!! I’m a huge fan of Stefan and Elena team up. Pls bring back the love team Stelena on season 5.

13. tony says:

I’m so happy elena chose Damon. Stefan is a bitch. He’s useless. Can’t wait til the next season.

14. EunetteD says:

I wanted to see Aunt Jenna as one of the ghosts. (Since she was a vampire when Klaus killed her)

• Tommy says:

I think Jenna died before she completed her transition so that is why she wasn’t able to come back. My questions were where was Vicki, Anna, and Isobel?

• Rose says:

Esther explained this in an episode, Jenna isn’t on the other side cause she moved on, she said that she was at peace. I did expect to see Anna though…..

15. lusii says:

i love katherine and i won’t be so fond of tvd if she gets her ass kicked every day. i honestly hope she ends up having a better life than elena because she deserves it. she may have killed elena’s brother, but it’s not like elena’s never killed anyone’s brother, too (kol, even finn was a direct product of elena’s fault). so basically, i’m rooting for katherine here. :)

16. Damon's Fan says:

I just began watching vampire diaries this season and didn’t bother to watch the previous seasons, so when Damon and Elena got together I didn’t mind at all. Maybe because I didn’t watch the Stefan and Elena’s epic love part and I know that Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder are a real couple. I’m also rooting for Klaus and Caroline, cause I don’t like Tyler.

17. Jordan says:

I love delena❤ they are perfect together..it makes me sad that they broke up in real life… I am confused was it elena or silas that said i love you damon?!?? Better be elena!!

18. Abby says:

Those who keep saying “so disappointed that Elena picked Damon! Stephan and her had an epic love! It’s eternal so how can that just end???” That’s life. This is what I love about this show. Through all the fiction, there is still a real world feeling and it shows in so many aspects, especially with relationships. People we love and care about die, we lose ourselves and get depressed, and the guy doesn’t always get the girl. I personally was always rooting for Damon and Elena. Stephan was written as a strong person and regardless of his relationship status valued his life and friendships. Damon was always getting the short end of the stick. It was about time he found happiness.I cannot wait to see how his relationship unfolds with Elena in the next season!

• cas says:

Thank you. Why can’t more people understand this? Is it that hard to grasp? I’m not saying people can’t want her with one brother over the other, but they are acting like things don’t change when in all reality they do. Plus the whole, I am not watching because she chose Damon is beyond retarded. Seriously, I would have still watched if she chose Stefan. Why can’t people accept that there are 2 separate relationships, and at this point in her life, she is in love with Damon and not Stefan? And I don’t want to hear about all the bad crap that he has done, as it is just a TV show and considering she has done some pretty bad stuff herself how can she judge?

• Fran says:

Some people really hate the things that Damon has done personally to Elena’s family and friends- perfectly understandable that they don’t like to see them together romantically. Yes it’s a TV show but isn’t the point to discuss a character’s traits? I don’t think anyone is questioning that Elena is in a different place in her life and she’s allowed to have a different love interest. Some- including myself- just don’t like her with Damon. There’s nothing wrong with that either.

19. DAGADU says:

DEEP DOWN, ELENA is still in love with Stefan… she does not know it yet….. when a girl loves a guy and they break-up, she still feels the connection between them…. she will feel the absence, and pain stefan is going through in the (BOX)locker

20. cas says:

Stefan will also move on and find another epic love, whereas if Damon and Elena don’t make it, Damon won’t move on and find love again. That is just not who he is. He seems like the sort to be eternally in love with the same girl which will probably not bode well for him in the future. The real point is, everyone can say Damon is bad, or that Elena doesn’t love him or etc, but it is possible to love 2 people at different points in your life, and comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges. How about we just let the storyline play out for a while? We are all not going to be happy, but I think with how the season ended it is giving every character a chance for different storylines which will be a nice change. And I am so glad Jeremy is back, but I wish we could have kept Alaric too.

21. Ci says:

Daman and Elena….ridiculous

22. guest says:

so excited Elena chose Damon, he’s so much better (hotter, smarter,more fun …) than Stefan. Finally..hope it lasts for a bit.

23. toni says:

I am interested in how each set of doppelgangers will turn out in season 5. Im also keeping an open mind about the new originals show. Not sure if it looks interesting yet but ill watch the first episode and then make up my mind

24. me says:

I am a big fan and I’d like to see Jane Badler in

25. Abby says:

Delena forever

26. fashionbreaker says:

Can we just move the show a little earlier? I grew up with The Vampire Diaries and the 2weeks or 2months break always kills me at the most.

With regards to the Season 4 finale and the upcoming Season 5, I look forward to who’ll help Stefan in the lake and how he’d manage to get out; and what in store for Rebekah and Matt! I have this feeling that Rebekah will protect Matt just so he could be human forever.

27. Ankitha chapte says:

Oh please. Delena was the best thing which happened in the last episode. And I hope Tyler never comes back so that “KLAROLINE” happens. :D :D Can’t wait for 5th season.

• Corey says:

Klaroline was never a good idea from the start.I have no idea why people like so much.It’d just be a romantic version of Caroline’s relationship with Damon.That’s the reason that Klaus said he’d be Caroline’s last love is because he’d kill her if she’d wanna leave him or he didn’t wanna be with her anymore.Forwood forever!

28. Linn says:

Many people are upset or happy about the finale but I can tell you this: a girl asked Julie Plec on twitter if there is still hope voor Stelena, she answerd: the serie is, has always been and will always be a love triangle. And a few hours ago someone asked her on twitter: could there ever be a chance for stefan and elena to be together again? and she answerd: Of course. It’s a show about a love triangle.
    So calm down everyone, no one knows who she will end up with, even Ian, Nina and Paul don’t know that yet! And Ian said that they have a contract for 6 seasons, that means that if the cw doesn’t cancel the show(and I think they won’t) there wil be lots of DE and SE moments. She loves both of them don’t forget that.

29. bibi says:

Look ya’ll.b4 I used to say that the ♥ damon and stefan have 4each other shud b bigger dan d luv either of them wud hv 4elena. Bt Damon has evoked dt thought time nd again. He killd deir uncle, killed lexi(dt his excuse ws stupid) killed jer and plis! Mke no mistake, Damon is the one that whines wen he doesn’t get wt he Wants. Stefan hs olwayz actd mature nd evn wen she mde her choice he let them be, evn wif hw much he hurts. Damon luvs elena wif a destructive kind of love, he cn kill ani1 4her evn ppul shez nt willin 4dem to die. Hez irrational and hez nt a lil selfish as u guyz Say,hez Very selfish. Nd quite frankly, he nd elena deserve each other, both terrible atm. I pray Stefan finds another epic luv, nd u delena Fanz wud c hw quick elena wud want him bck.

30. Meg Gowen says:

When is the new series coming out!?!

31. Meg Gowen says:

I can’t live without watching it

32. Abi says:

I dont even care anymore if there will be future stelena moments. Its really disgusting to see elena going back to stefan again after his brother. Stefan is better off without her. She doesnt deserve his love. I just hope stefan will move on find another girl who will value him more. If she chose damon then let it be damon until the end, she better leave stefan alone. What a spoiled annoying disgusting bitch.

33. wendy baillie says:

I am a great fan of the vampire diaries but have found it hard to watch as elena & damon get together! The whole story evolves around stefan & elena and they should be together. I feel quite numb having seen series 4 please let them get back with each other you know it is meant to be!
    Wendy

• Cas says:

Obviously you don’t know much about the show as Julie Plec has said many times in interviews the series is about the love triangle and Elena being in love with 2 different brothers. The books are pretty similar and had they been finished they would have explored more of Elena and Damon’s relationship too. Therefore, no the series is not about Elena and Stefan’s love. Good try though.

34. Abi says:

Elena doesnt deserve anyone at all specially Stefan’s love! They deserve each other before but not now anymore. Not until she have stopped fighting her love for stefan and leaving Stefan hanging just like that. After all that epic Romeo-Juliet Noah-Allie scenes from season 1, 2. Yes, just like that. Poof. Gone. Just because Stefan is boring her and Damon makes her alive. Wow. No offense I love both of the Salvatore Brothers. This just makes me think does she ever really loved Stefan at all from the start ( ofcourse without a doubt stefan’s love for her is epic) or was it just because she was thrilled about the whole vampire thing. And now she’s jumping to another brother after turned into a vampire – all because she was bored. No excitement. No thrill. I think thats the whole reason not because of the whole crap she says.

She made her choice, I hope this time she will stand for it. And yes I think she really loves Damon, I mean after everything that Damon did to her ( Im not going to list it all since dalena fans will get upset but that elena’s mother and damon thing is totally disgusting ) She accepts Damon despite ALL of it and that I think that is love isn’t? The kind of love story I will never ever wish to have but again that is love. No matter how messed up and wrong it can be. Love is indeed blind. Classic.

35. Amari says:

I want to comment about the whole Damon, Stefan, and Elena triangle. I have been wanting to share my opinions for awhile now.
    I just want to say, frist, that i don’t think Damon is horrible. I know he has his reasons for what he does and how he does the stuff he does.Even vampires have baggage.
    I just feel that Damon isn’t right for Elena. I think Elena is attracted to him and cares about him.Damon, has that bad boy thing going on. I am sure that the attraction intensified when she became a vampire.
    I am not saying Stefan is perfect. Stefan did some bad stuff also. Also, Stefan had reasons to do the things he did.
    Stefan, rescued her from drowning with her parents. Even though Damon, was the first to see her. Stefan no matter what put his feelings on the line to save her. Stefan respected her wishes and ideas even when it put her in harms way.
    Even when Stefan went back to his old blood lust ways. Stefan did that to save his brother.Stefan, sacraficed his happiness that he had with Elena to save Damon’s life.
    When Stefan was with Klous, Elena was his lifeline. The person who kept him as sane as she could for the situation at hand. Elena didn’t give up on him, at that point.
    When, Stefan, was trying to fight biting her. Stefan was compelled to do so. Yes, Stefan did hurt her emotionally, but that was because Klous compelled him to turn off his emotions.
    Stefan also, rescued Matt from drowning in the same lake as her parents did. Stefan, went through all the hard things with Elena. Stefan, was there for her.
    Stefan over and over again got the short end of the stick. The people that he cared about and loved were no longer a part of his life. Damon,killed Lexie, his best friend. Damon, got Elena.Stefan witnessed the two of them in a relationship. Also, got thrown, into a lake to drown over and over again. All because he couldn’t take seeing his brother and the woman he loved being together.
    So i am a stelena fan. It just doesn’t seem right to me that attraction will win over love. That you could love someone so much and go through all kinds of issues. In the end, all of that doesn’t mean anything. Hopefully the attraction last forever for Delena.

• Rosie says:

Do you forget about when klaus gave Stefan his freedom and he still threatened to drive elena off the wickets bridge and turn her into a vampire (something he knew she wanted). His emotions were on but he was a huge jerk. She treated him so well and he said and did terrible things to her. Damon has NEVER done that. Yes, he killed her brother but Jeremy was fine and Damon has always been good to elena, and helped her and Stefan even after she choose Stefan 100X and Damon was heartbroken.

36. Anna Lewis says:

I really want Elena to be with Stefan. I think it’s exciting how she was exploring her options earlier in the season and I found relief when she chose Stefan. But now that she is white Damon it makes me sad, because a part of me always believed she would find her way back to Stefan, as he was her first love. Don’t get me wrong, I adore Damon. But Stefan and Elena HAVE to get back together!

37. big fan says:

I love this show more and more. I was all about Stelana at first but through all the seasons Damon got a bad break with Katherine. He went psycho because of her to just find out she was a huge liar. Damon and Elana compliment each other’s weakness. And since Stefan was a ripper, this may be his karma. Keep up the awesome story line.

38. darren clarke says:

I thought the ending was once again annoyingly good, loved the fact that it left things beautifully between Klaus and Caroline, the opportunity and the potential for that to grow further is still there, yet at the same time we’re gonna get to see them both develop separately. Love Caroline she is by far the heart of the whole group,cant wait to see her college dramas, would love to see her intertwine some how with the new spin off playing a crucial role in both Klaus becoming more redeemable and of course there own love story, but i wouldn’t necessarily want her to leave the vampire diaries, the show would become too dark.
    . we got to see a major stepping point between matt and rebekka which i was thrilled about. Its nice to see someone finally sees the true rebekka and the character she can become. Hoping that over the series she becomes a more core character, maybe even a key player as part of the group. The whole matt and rebekka thing works, there needs to be a softer love story underlining the whole Elena-stefan-damon triangle that’s going on, as evidence that it is there and does last forever.
    . Elena choosing Damon was a gradual move but watching the seasons back you can see her develop into her choice. Hopefully she wont be as whiney as she was when she was with Stefan. We might get to see her have some harmless fun and become a more loveable character. It will be interesting to see what life is like for her now Jeremy is back, and the fact that bonnie is gone.
    Katherine being human is gonna be awesome!! I’m really excited about this, originally i wanted rebekka to get the cure but after watching that i thought it was well played. She is screwed basically, love it, she is by far a more interesting character than Elena, and her human life on the show is gonna prove that, but i do have a feeling she wont stay human for long, and in hoping she stays on in the show.
    the whole bonnie issue is a good thing. I’m not a huge bonnie fan, she irritates me slightly, but i do like the concept of her being on the other side. She might learn there are consequences for what magic she uses, just like willow did in buffy, but again i don’t see her being a ghost for long, i see her having a crucial role in the whole Silas storyline which links to her being human again.
    Stefan in a safe at the bottom of that lake,very angel season 3 but with a twist, no one ever has to find out! This is gonna get very interesting. We have for the time being an elena/katherine stefan/silas scenario going on. Cant wait to see what that unfolds!! Season 5 needs to hurry up!!!:-)

39. Amber says:

The only good thing about the finale was that Damon and Elena are together. I feel like they are now a comic book. Stefan is Silas’s true form? Oh, so Civil War Stefan was just one of them? Does everyone have a doppelganger? Or is that just special to Elena and Stefan. It’s stupid. So disappointed. And that they gave the cure to Katherine. Besides, if they were being true to form she’d just turn herself back into a vampire. But the writers won’t do that because it is too predictable. So Stefan will probably fall back into love with a human Katherine. Boring!

40. jay says:

Damon and Elena do not belong together hes wrong for her all together are we not forgetting in season 2 he killed her Brother because she tearnd him down.

41. Vanessa says:

I don’t think the relationship between Stephan and Elena is as perfect as a lot of the comments here imply. Stephan is an enabler, and Elena is inherently hypocritical and selfish when it comes to making decisions.

Elena demands that her decisions be held as sacred, even regarding issues where she is not the only one effected. When it comes to other people’s decisions, though, she does not hold that same level of regard. She manipulates Jeremy’s mind more than once to ‘keep him safe’, but would never tolerate anyone doing the same to her. At the start of this season, she is angry that Damon claims he would have saved her over Matt, demanding that he think about how that would have made her feel. She does not even consider that how she would have felt is exactly how Matt, Stephan and Damon feel at that exact moment.

I honestly don’t think Stephan has the balls, or sense of boundaries, to have a healthy relationship with Elena. She is too strong-willed, and walks all over him. He never asserts his own needs or desires. All he does is passive-aggressively brood and maintain an air of self-righteousness.

Damon and Elena are on much more equal ground. Both are stubborn and selfish in similar ways. They are bound to fight a lot. Neither one is willing to be trampled for the sake of the relationship. This leaves two possibilities: either they will come to an irreconcilable end, or they will both have to learn to compromise and grow as a couple. Either way is bound to be filled with tension and fire works, which makes for good television.

Personally, I hope Damon and Elena make it work. Their relationship has the potential to open up and push forward some deep and thought-provoking themes.

42. Victoria says:

Hi
    I am not so unhappy with the sad ending of Stefan and Elena. Because I really beleive that she didnt deserve his pure love. Elena and Damon are the scums of the earth. I DO yearn that Catherine will love Stepan as a human so we’ll see the old good Elena in human Catherine again!

43. snowman says:

I’m confused, I thought Silas wanted to die. Why would keeping Stefan locked up benefit him?

• Cas says:

He does. In an interview Julie Plec had she mentioned something along the lines of that being his original plan but him having to go with plan B now. I think he is still going to try to find a way to die but it”s going to have to change so he probably thought it’d be best if he had some insights or someth

44. Rosie says:

Seriously Stefan always gets what he wants. Did you guys forget that Stefan tried to drive her off the bridge where her parents died?? And his humanity was on! He was terrible to her, way more terrible then damon ever was. He may have done bad things but he has always been good to elena, or tried to do what he thinks is best for her.

Damon was a huge jerk, but he’s wonderful and perfect and beautiful. Frankly elena is annoying and she should have died. Then Katherine could have gone over to the originals to be with Elijah.

Klaus and Caroline are the best! I loved her with Tyler but its time for her to be with klaus! Stefan needs a new girl, or maybe to become human. He’s miserable as a vamp and it would be nice to see a version of Stefan that was happy, and not so gloomy and mopey 24/7.

45. Bec says:

I’m a stelena. Purely because I have an incredible soft spot for Stefan and Paul Wesley in general. As much as I love to see him with Elena I don’t think it would be all bad to actually give Delena a proper try, without a sire bond and with pure emotions. Besides, most of you are all saying how cruel Damon was to her yet she still loves him. Can somebody please explain the difference between Delena and Klaroline? Klaus has been the most horrible person to all of them, yet it is okay for Caroline to some how forget that and actually want to be with him but not okay for Elena to actually want to be with Damon? I’m down for Klaroline by far. I think that if anybody could change klaus and actually give him a reason to be happy it would be Caroline. In season 1 Damon was the bad guy at first, they changed that. They made him the good guy, so why can’t the do the same for Klaus?

46. Hello? says:

Nobody would be in this boat if Stefan didn’t force Damon to become a Vampire. There wouldnt be all this drama going on. v_v

47. bibi says:

Am I the only one that noticed that when katherine Wakes up..shez gonna need surgery?I mean, being a human nw nd all..broken bottle isn’t xactli nutritnal

48. Patty says:

I loved Stelena and LOVE STEFAN but the truth is that Elena is another doppelganger slut and Stefan honestly deserves better than that whore..I hope they bring in a new Epic Love for my cutie Stefan..bring him a true Bella dang it!! Lol..seriously though..Damon just has his brother’s left overs..but either way both doppelgangers are selfish and wrong to ruin a brotherly bond..f Damon and f Elena! Team Stefan all the way!! I actually liked him with Rebekah

49. Megg says:

Idk I think since Elena’s old life is behind her, including Stefan, delena actually was a pretty great idea. I mean it would be too original if her and Stefan live happily ever after from beginning to end. That would take away the point of tying the love into this story.

50. Crizle says:

I just cant believe when you look how much Elena loathes Katherine…shes basically doing the same thing to the brothers. Wont be long and she will be back in Stefans arms. the tramp lmao…..but then again more fool the Salvatore brothers for being strung along yet again but this time by a Katherine look-a-like. Men. lmao. Ps. fully aware it’s just a show…just saying my opinion on the characters.