Mike & Molly Creator Steps Down as Showrunner

Get More: News

Mike and Molly New Showrunner Season 4Whenever it may be that Mike & Molly returns for Season 4, the CBS comedy will have a new man at the helm.

RELATED | Your Complete Fall TV Grid: What’s on When? And Versus What?

Series creator Mark Roberts (inset) is stepping down as showrunner after three seasons, producer Warner Bros. TV confirms for our sister site Deadline.

Replacing Roberts as an exec producer (alongside Chuck Lorre) and as showrunner will be Alan J. Higgins, who most recently served as a co-executive producer on Mike & Molly and whose previous TV credits include ‘Til Death and Malcolm in the Middle.

RELATED | TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled?

CBS this past week revealed its 2013-14 TV schedule, where Mike & Molly‘s full 22-episode order won’t launch until sometime at midseason.

Comments (56)

• Malcolm in the Middle is a classic.

Comment by Midori – May 17, 2013 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Bag Lady Boutique.

Comment by bagladyboutique – May 17, 2013 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want more comedies like Malcolm, that was a great show

Comment by dude – May 17, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope this doesn’t effect the show and it continues to be funny as ever and have a long run.

Comment by A – May 17, 2013 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Mike and Molly” is the new “Rules of Engagement” for CBS, except this show gets full-season orders. I liked “Rules.” I would have liked it to continue, because the show deserved better respect … and it was funny, too.

Comment by Buddy Glenn – May 17, 2013 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved Rules. Man, what’s the problem with keeping good comedy? The only issue I had was they married Russell off too soon. And I would loved to have seen Adam and Jen’s wedding.

Comment by Eddie – July 30, 2013 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • RULES WAS GREAT,TO BAD THEY MOVED THIS AROUND TO MUCH TO KEEP VIEWERS,I STAYED WITH THIS SHOW,I CAN JUST SEE JEFF WITH THE NEW BORN BABYTHAT WOULD BE MORE THAN FUNNEY.BRING THIS SHOW BACK AT MID SEASON.

Comment by VAL – September 23, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ^agreed i hope rules has a good finale was always great

Comment by dude – May 17, 2013 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh! CBS better do right by this show! Love this show.

Comment by L – May 17, 2013 11:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I gave up on M&M about halfway through the season. It just got pointless and too vulgar for me.

Comment by lyn – May 18, 2013 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is SO community :)

Comment by furbul – May 18, 2013 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Mike and Molly argue way too much. Please let them be a happy couple.

Comment by Ed Thomas – May 21, 2013 12:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe you STUPID PEOPLE don’t have Mike and Molly starting in the fall. Melissa McCarthy is the funniest woman in movies and TV right now. I don’t understand why you people in TV can give us a good show then take it off. I’m sure the show you put in their time spot will not be as good as Mike and Molly. I am ready to throw out the TV as you give us NOTHING!!!!!!

Comment by Anne Ruth – June 13, 2013 02:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find the Molly character cranky and bitter most of the time. She is by far the least likable character on the show. Her mother and sister and the mom’s boyfriend, as well as Mike’s partner are hysterical. This is one of those shows where the lead characters are real duds just taking up space, while surrounded by a very funny supporting cast. Hopefully the new headman will not use the same spin the wheel of characters, the actors portraying them and plot lines system he used to ruin the weak to begin with “til Death.

Comment by A2brutA – June 19, 2013 01:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You must be crazy. Melissa is one of the funniest women in comedy. Her character, Molly, is so funny. I love the entire cast because they are all funny. I hope the new person running the show will keep it the same because it is awesome just as it is now. I was disappointed not to see it in the new Fall lineup.

Comment by Geneva Johnson – September 14, 2013 10:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I absolutely agree. I love Melissa McCarthy & the whole show – it is my favorite!! I have been waiting for it to start the new fall schedule and I am hugely disappointed that it isn’t. “Mom” just cannot compare. Give me back my show!!!

Comment by Barbara Maynard – October 3, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with you completely. They just held back on starting Mike and Molly, it was intentional and it is worth waiting for. I think Melissa does a great job, as well as Mike. I also agree, that the rest of the cast are great and the show, really makes me laugh. Can’ wait for tomorrow night.

Comment by Alice Devlin – November 3, 2013 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I FIND THAT MIKE AND MOLLY IS A GREAT COMEDY! FRANKLY I BELIEVE IT WILL BE BETTER THAN “MOM”….I WISH IT WAS STILL ON SO I CAN HAVE A FEW LAUGHS. VERY SADLY MISSED!!!!!

Comment by JUDITH – September 28, 2013 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Mike and Molly was the best comedy on TV .

Comment by carol – September 28, 2013 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like this show please bing it back.

Comment by sally arriaga – July 16, 2013 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the best comedy/life show I have never seen! It’s believable, funny and heartwarming. This is by far my favorite program and I would dearly love to see it continue!
    By the way I would Love to be in “Mikes” shoes lucky stiff!
    Melissa McCarthy is funny, sweet, sexy cute, and gives viewers a fresh look at what a comedy series should be about! Thanks and bring on M&M

Comment by Edwin Rideout – August 2, 2013 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Out of all the shows I love Mike and Molly the best. They are very funny and entertaining. I hate when they take good shows and put them on the back burner. Not fair to their fans who are waiting for their return.

Comment by LB – August 15, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mike and Molly was the only good comedy left on tv, now it is finished!! When are they going to bring it back????

Comment by carol – September 11, 2013 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes it just doesn’t make sense.

Comment by carol – October 6, 2013 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love mike and Molly all my friends and family to they are so funny and there real I’m not fat are anything but I’m tired of seeing toothpick girls on tv time for the real people to get on tv I don’t want my daughter to think she had to look sick I love Molly need more actresses lime Melissa . Can’t wait for a new episode

Comment by Ruby – August 31, 2013 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just saw my first Mike and Molly ever. I loved it and am looking forward to more shows.

Comment by lydia – September 4, 2013 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You just can’t top Mike and Molly, it is the best show on the air. It’s so nice to see real people for a change.

Comment by Judy – September 10, 2013 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When will we see the next season of Mike and Molly? It was the best comedy on tv.

Comment by carol – September 11, 2013 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • we can not wait for mike and molly season 4! it was absolutely fantastic, after season three was over we felt as if we lost some good friends. each Actor contributed something to make it a wonderful series. i hope there are many more seasons of mike and molly to come!

Comment by kerrie M. – September 13, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I cannot believe M&M may never return. I feel like I lost some friends too. Please get it together and go for a decent finale, at least. Molly may act “whichy” sometimes, but that’s her character for the show. Carl, Vince and Victoria …the entire supporting cast is why I like it so much!

Comment by Ron Oberbeck – October 22, 2013 02:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the show, I love his partner and both the mothers and the sister, bring it back real soon!

Comment by BEE – September 16, 2013 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Mike& Molly! Please bring it back soon!!!!! What sm I going to do on Monday nights now? I wont watch the other shows until you bring it back!!!!!!!

Comment by dawn – September 17, 2013 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please don’t take Mike&Molly off. I look forward to it every week. The show where she falls in the tub with Vence is the best. I have it recorded. I watch it all the time. The world is too serious, we need to laugh more. For those of you that don’t like this show, your a little up tite. unwind and just enjoy the show, you just may see a family member. I know I do… thanks for Mike&Molly

Comment by chris – September 17, 2013 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot believe Mike & Molly isn’t starting new season In September, I have been waiting anxiously for it to start. This is crap. How I Met Your Mother can be started later, I want Mike & Molly to start in September like it should. This and Two Broke Girls are only sitcoms I watch on CBs.

Comment by malinda – September 18, 2013 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They need to take “How I Met Your Mother” Off. It really isn’t funny.

Comment by Ed Thomas – September 18, 2013 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes bring it back sooooon.

Comment by carol – October 6, 2013 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess they need Mike and Molly to take the place of some of the [what look like] disaster comedies they have this year on CBS. I’m not even going to bother to try to get interested in them, cause I’m sure they’ll all be cancelled. The only show that I will watch is the one with Robin Williams. They’ll need Mike & Molly and Rules of Engagement…..oh wait, they cancelled Rules! Guess they’ll rerun shows from the previous week in place of the failed shows this year?

Comment by DanT2590 – September 18, 2013 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • get rid of two & half men, or survivor , or play Mike & Molly where you have old repeats of other stuff.

Comment by cher – September 23, 2013 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You people leave a bad show like 2broke girls on, and do not put mike and Molly in the fall lineup! This is idiotic, you have something good and you don’t air it ! Ridiculous!

Comment by JoAnn Calandra – September 23, 2013 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe CBS hasn’t put Mike & Molly back on this week!!! What are you people thinking? That’s your best sitcom! The people are real and I just love them. Come to your senses at the network. As for me, I’ll watch CBS again when the show returns.

Comment by Cathy R. – September 24, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am looking forward to another season of Mike and Molly, one of my favorites. I will be watching for the premiere date mid-season. We need this comedy!

Comment by kagus (Kathy Gustafson) – September 24, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Mike & Molly, it’s so funny, watching it just helps me forget about all lives stress (especially after a Monday) and just laugh. One of my favorite line Molly says when she’s she’s getting ready to go out of town and mild is all sad he says”don’t go run of with the gym teacher” & she says ” you don’t have any big macs and I want have any big Macs” lmao shes hilarious she’s more of a suttle comedians it’s just one of my favorite every Monday night I put the kids to bed I kick back on the couch watch 2 broke girls, then Mike & Molly it’s a routine a ritual DON’T TAKE THAT AWAY !!!!!!!

Comment by amanda – September 25, 2013 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should give Mikes mother more time. she is HILARIOUS

Comment by Tom – September 29, 2013 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Loved Mike &Molly and very sad it is not going to been on till mid-season. Bernadette Sept.30 2013

Comment by Bernadette – September 30, 2013 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am missing mike and molly. I don’t care for the moms it is to much about drugs and alcohol related problems of today that we Need to fix not make fun of from daughter to mother to grandmother. This is nothing to make fun of.

Comment by dd – October 7, 2013 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Down with CBS until they bring back Mike and Molly! Best show ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by LINDA HALLMAN – October 8, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Surprised to see MIke & Molly coming back. I agree with lyn who commented in May that the show is too vulgar . stopped watching after 2 or 3 shows in season one. What could have been a sweet show was turned into trash with stereotypical characters. It’s too bad because the cast is very talented.

Comment by Marilyn – October 20, 2013 10:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 4 is a dud. Mike and Molly used to be funny. Season 4 has it dumbed down so much, it is no longer the same show. It is so dumb, I am finding it repulsive.

Comment by Ben – November 27, 2013 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still watch Mike & Molly but I really did like the last three seasons much better. They are making it more of the Molly show and it is the other cast members that make the show so special. I think that Melissa is a wonderful actor but they are making her so stupid and not a very nice person. Bring back the old format before you ruin the show. CBS is just about as stupid as they can get. They cancel Rules of Engagement and they keep 2 Broke and Dumb Girls on the air. Makes no sense to me at all. Anyway please leave Mike & Molly alone and quit making Molly so freaking stupid and thoughtless.

Comment by Valerie Glenn – December 10, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HATE the new theme song, HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT!!! HATE Seeing Molly being the dimwitted one, she was much more likable as the intelligent one with ALL OTHER supporting cast members being the nuts in the basket! It was funny, cute, whitty, lovable, FUNNY! When you’re cooking your favorite receipt and it tastes a little flat, JUST SEASON IT, don’t dump it all out and start over!!! Season 4 sux, 1-3 way better, and Im a devoted m & m fan. Please re-season season 4, before it’s to late, it’s a great cast, with tons of potential. Best show 1-3 and cast on TV these days, “Molly Flips Her Lid” Must Go and bring back the the spicy cast with more zest added!!!

Comment by Lori – December 14, 2013 12:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. The new theme song is absolutely HORRIBLE. Also Molly has become a different kind of character & the change ISN’T for the better.

Comment by Rob – December 16, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with Valerie – the writing & story lines was better in previous seasons – let’s get back to that before you kill the show!

Comment by Barbara Maynard – December 10, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also agree that Mike & Molly has changed…and not for the better. It is too Molly-focused. They are trying to make her the new Lucille Ball. Too much physical comedy, but unlike Lucy, this is not funny. I was cringing while she was trying to get comfortable at her desk…i was embarrasd just watching it. This was an ensemble comedy…bring it back!!!!

Comment by Tom – December 13, 2013 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post