The CW's Fall Schedule: Major Shake-Up as Supernatural, Hart of Dixie and 2 Others Shift to New Timeslots, Nikita's Final Season Delayed

The CW Fall Schedule 2013The CW, last but not least, on Thursday morning revealed its primetime line-up for the 2013-14 TV season, and it features changes on every night.

The biggest moves: Supernatural is shifting to Tuesdays at 9/8c, paired with the Vampire Diaries spin-off The Originals; Hart of Dixie and Beauty and the Beast are relocating to Monday night; The Carrie Diaries is Friday-bound; and Nikita‘s final six-episode season will unspool sometime “late in the fall,” network boss Mark Pedowitz tells TVLine.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

Also of note: Greg Berlanti and Julie Plec’s new sci-fi saga Tomorrow People has snagged the post-Arrow slot on Wednesdays at 9/8c, while period drama Reign has been slotted behind Vampire Diaries on Thursdays.

On tap for midseason, in addition to Nikita: new dramas Star-Crossed and The 100.

RELATED | Fall TV Schedule 2013: What’s on When? And Versus What?

All told, the The CW schedule looks like this. (New shows are in CAPS, click for details.)

MONDAY

THURSDAY
8 pm The Vampire Diaries
9 pm REIGN

FRIDAY
8 pm The Carrie Diaries
9 pm America’s Next Top Model

NOT RETURNING NEXT SEASON: 90210, Cult, Gossip Girl and Emily Owens, M.D.

1. ggny says:

Also should the CW just rename Wednesday Amell-day?

2. Jamie says:

I will say I like Supernatural on Tuesday instead of Wednesday. I like NCIS:LA, but I will watch SPN over that. I HATED it on Wednesday, running against Criminal Minds, CM won in our house, so now I have to catch up. I would have preferred SPN return to Thursday though, since I have no shows then. :-)

3. liliana says:

Supernatural and Arrow worked so well, WHY change that, putting Supernatural with Originals?? Really?? I loved watching the two shows together!! I am mad about that and Nikita, why CW treat Nikita this way, six episodes and final season and we have to wait till February!! This channel makes me mad!!!!!! At least i hope there’s new promo pics for Supernatural cause i am sick of the using the old ones!! But i doubt that, Cw only cares for TVD/Originals and Plec things!!!!

• ggny says:

Because you use your highest rated shows to launch new ones. Not keep a show that is 9 years old ratings up. Supernatural can do fine by itselfs no reason to waste Arrow’s lead in

• liliana says:

I don’t ever doubt about Supernatural, is the best show! And i know that Arrow will make it, it’s not that, it’s that they made a great night together!! But at least i have S.H.I.E.L.D to watch before Supernatural!

4. JP says:

The Originals Vs. Pretty Little Liars?! Not a smart move by the CW. Both shows appeal to the same demographic and Pretty Little Liars is one of the most watched shows on cable. Even when PLL is on break its going to have to go up against the most watched show on TV (NCIS) and the most hyped new show (SHIELD).

5. Sarah says:

I am so on board for Amell Wednesday nights.

6. chadcronin says:

Didn’t the president of the cw say when Arrow and Supernatural were renewed they were keeping them together on Wed?

7. As long as Supernatural is on the air, I would watch it any day at any time.

8. BL says:

I may be in minority, but much of my tv watching occurs on Friday nights in the form of cathching up with what is on my DVR. I was doing my fall 2013 tv schedule last night and realized that I have very few “Must Watch Live” shows (love my DVR) and that there is not one night that I watch the same network for two hours in a row…until now. Pairing TCD and ANTM is AMAZING to me. I will watch these live and will love every second of girly drama. My DVR will have to wait until 10 p.m. on Fridays I guess.

9. James says:

huh interesting they kept arrow where it was and moved Supernatural back to Tuesday’s i would of thought they’d leave it paired or moved Arrow, cool beans. the 100 looks interesting we shall see it seems to me that friday’s are a wee bit thin right now could be because i’m used to seeing Nikita there.

10. No more Arrow and Supernatural match up????? And what other day hasn’t Supernatural been on yet? Seriously…. Oh! Remember when Fridays were epic male hotties awesomeness night? xD

11. And now I have to wait midseason to see Brina Palencia (Star Crossed) on my tv screen?! Im sad!

12. Jay says:

It’s now official! On all five networks there is nothing that I watch on Wednesdays at 9.

13. Sid says:

6 episodes only?LOL@ Flopkita

14. Kreshb says:

Why did I read some comments that season 9 will be the last of Supernatural? Where did they even get that information? THE FINAL EPISODE WAS TOP NOTCH QUALITY LIKE A SHORT MOVIE :O

• Zina says:

Ignore them, jensen and jared signed for seasons 9 and 10, Jeremy said himself that he has a story line to season 10. No way will the fandom allow the show to be cancelled we’re going to get our season 10….and more

• Shan says:

Agreed. Yes I love the show and have been from day 1. I have got countless people to watch usually by showing season 1 and explaining the premis2 guys in a great car hunting with great non-classic TV music to pair with it. It adds action, scariness and comedy beautifully wrapped into one but with a supernatural twist. I have all the DVDs SPN I just recently watched the episode where they first introduced the trickster and was laughing etc..
        I want them to mix the lore back in and have them hunting things again like brothers. Still love the show.

15. Drew says:

Pairing Supernatural with The Originals is a bad move. TVD is a teen-centered show. Which means that The Originals has that audience to work with. Supernatural has never been teen focused. It isn’t fluff like TVD.

Arrow and Supernatural was appointment TV for me. The demographics for the shows matched perfectly. The Originals isn’t exactly aimed at grown men… I might just record Supernatural and end up watching it with Arrow anyway. Which means that I won’t be skipping one CW show, I will possibly be skipping two.

Just because they both have supernatural elements does not mean that they’re targeting the same audience.

• MaryAnn says:

Grown men should give The Originals a chance. It is a much darker show than The Vampire Diaries and aimed at an older, more mature audience.

16. Joe says:

no it really is the least

17. robinhelene says:

So glad they aren’t sticking Supernatural back on Friday! Love, Robin

18. Shan says:

Love the schedule now I do not have to choose between anything on any day for any network because all my shows are on different days/time. Yes to SPN on Tuesdays I will definitely tune in although I thought Arrow and Spn were a solid match. I called it when I stated HOD would be paired with BATB and moved to Mondays which I will also tune in for.

19. Melody Paris says:

There was absolutely no good reason to split up Arrow and Supernatural. I loved my Wednesday nights.

20. Lorena says:

What? NCIS, SHIELD and The Originals the same day the same time? NCIS Live and dvr the other two

21. Penny Jaime says:

I HATE it when networks do that. They get a great night of TV going, then change it. They don’t care about the viewers at all. Just try to trick them into watching a new show. Instead of just keeping a good thing going. Here’s an idea; get good programs on the other nights and stop playing three card monty with your programing!!!! Arrow and Supernatural were a perfect night of TV. The one night I looked forward to. Their whole business is the viewers; but they don’t care what the viewers want.

• Melody Paris says:

Network execs can really piss a fan off, and there was plenty of splitting up of well paired shows this year to piss this fan off. Wednesdays and Thursdays housed my four favorite shows on TV right now. They were paired perfectly and made those my favorite TV watching days. Now both Supernatural and Person of Interest have been shuffled to Tuesdays, while Arrow and Elementary are both stranded. Oh the humanity! Okay, maybe a bit overly dramatic. I’m actually excited about The Tomorrow People, the clip looked good and I adore, absolutely adore Mark Pellegrino and would watch him read the phone book. Still, there is nothing else on Thursdays that interests me besides Elementary so I’ll be using it as a day to catch up on all the DVR fall out that is Monday’s and Tuesday’s. Hopefully I won’t completely hate Fall 2013. The one consolation: I get to watching my two favorite shows on TV back to back – Supernatural and Person of Interest.

22. LR says:

To be honest, I really backed Arrow as much as I could (watching live, Get Glue, twitter) mainly because it was Supernatural’s lead-in. I won’t watch the Originals as I never watched TVD and I probably won’t go to bat as hard for Arrow even though it is a very good show. I will still watch it, but probably not live as I have a hectic schedule and I’m very selective about what shows I will make time for (Supernatural being my #1 priority TV-wise).

23. Sara says:

I…don’t understand why The Originals isn’t on the same night as TVD. I feel like it would kind of make a lot more sense lol.

24. Zina says:

Doesn’t matter where they put supernatural ill forever be watching it, personally I prefer arrow to another vampire show but whatever…

25. WingsStef says:

Reign sounds like an interesting show to check out. I always wondered about Mary Queen of Scots. The succession of England at the time was crazy around then. Of course this will be fictionalized but I am curious how the story plays out.

26. Sarah says:

Too many shows on Monday and Tuesday! Can’t watch and DVR them all!

27. Annie says:

It sucks how Beauty and the Beast got moved to monday.. that’s The Voice day! Noooo!

• MaryAnn says:

BATB is my favorite show on tv right now, and I’m just really hoping that this fall won’t be the last we see of it. A move to Fridays would have been better. At least lower ratings there are somewhat excused by network executives.

28. Ella says:

UGH, why move Supernatural again?! It was paired so well with Arrow. Not sure why they didn’t pair TVD and The Originals together either.

29. Wild Flower says:

I am very curious about The Carrie Diaries ratings.
    I hope it will die.

30. Wild Flower says:

The best new the CW’s tv show seems to be “The 100″.
    I was expecting something different when I found out they picked up a show called “The Tomorrow People” and I really wanted to watch it, but now…. I don’t even know if I should give it a try.

31. John says:

Remarkable (to me anyway) that in this age of DVRs anyone cares all that much when a show airs.Ratings implications are above my viewer paygrade so I’m left with whether my dvr has an available tuner, and usually does and then there are all those repeats for an increasing number of shows.

Ah wel, HYOH.

32. MaryAnn says:

I wanted to make an overall comment about the new shows that the CW picked up for 2013-14.

Overall, it is a vast improvement over previous years. A few years ago, before The Vampire Diaries, I watched nothing at all on the network, thinking that it was just a silly place for high school drama that had nothing to do with anyone or anything else. (I did try to get into Supernatural its first season, but the over-the-top-dark Christian mythology just didn’t sit well with me.)

Then they added Arrow and Beauty and the Beast. Fantastic! The CW shot up to my most-watched-live network. Now they have picked up for this year FIVE new shows that are definitely on my list to check out, with vampires in The Originals, another sci-fi twisty romance wit h Star-Crossed, pure sci-fi in The 100, superheroes in The Tomorrow People, and historical romance with life and death stakes in Reign. Nice!

It seems to me that this choice to branch out can only work well for the CW — they are going to bring in a lot of genre people, and a lot of viewers that are older than high school, and overall expand their number of viewers.

The only other thing they could do better is once they commit to 13 episodes of a series, then they should make all of them available, even if it is online, so viewers will not be afraid to get invested in a new series.

33. ams says:

Wow, I thought The Originals would be right after Vampire Diaries. Figured it would get the best ratings that way. I’ll still watch tho!

34. Mia Martin says:

I don’t care for the other shows because “Supernatural” is all that matters to me, the time slot change doesn’t bother me at all as long as I get to see Jensen and Jared again. “Smallville” had ten seasons, so I don’t see why “Supernatural” shoudn’t.

• SPN Fan says:

It will at least go to season 10 as the boys are contracted to that season, but from exec comments at the CW it could even go beyond season 10.

35. TigressLover says:

I get why they did what they did. Now they have a strong show followed by a new or weaker show to try to keep people watching. Im kinda glad the originals dont follow TVD. I purposely got uverse so I could record 4 shows. I dont know much about The Reign? But im not really into period pieces. So switching over to Grey’s wont be so hard. I too think they were wrong to cut Nikita, but if im honest, it never was a strong show for them. Its been on the bubble from the get go. I love the show, & hold out hope for a few more then 6 episodes. They wont cut SPN, the head of the CW went on record that that was his fav show, & if it got cut his wife would prolly stop talking to him! As far as fridays… well, CW wont be my network of choice!

36. Cowboy's Angel says:

Here’s how the networks are packing the shows in this fall,
    Bones starts out on Mon,then moves to compete against Last Man Standing
    The Orignals will be competing against NCIS
    Supernatural against NCIS:L.A.
    Arrow against Revoultion
    Person Of Interest against Chicago Fire
    Hawaii 5-0 against Grimm
    And that’s just so far

• SPN Fan says:

I am glad for Tuesday as I can watch NCIS at 8/ maybe catch The Originals and then watch SPN b/c NCIS LA bores me to tears.

37. Like so many others.. I don’t care what night they move SPN to… It IS the ONLY show on TV I watch… And I will be glued to the TV to watch it no matter what night or time slot it is in!

38. cw fan says:

I actually love the CWs fall line up, its there best line up in years if you ask me. I will be watching something on the CW every night except Friday’s. I’m not too sure about the HoD and BatB paring, but it could work. I like The Originals and Supernatural paring and can see why they chose to split SPN and Arrow, they bring more ratings on different nights, but I’m still sad to see them split. Love Arrow, my favorite show on the CW (second is SPN) and might stick around to see The Tomorrow People after it. There’s not a lot to say about TVD, its been solid on Thursday nights since its first season; but I wish they would pair it with a show they know can hold its own in that slot. I tired of watching show after show, suffer in that spot before switching to a new time slot; I may be wrong but I think its been what? four years now since a show has held on in that time slot for more than one season. I don’t think Reign will make it there either. It doesn’t look that great to me but I’ll still tune in ( at least for the pilot, just to give it a chance.) Glad they paired TCD and ANTM; I don’t have a lot else to say about them, since I don’t watch either show.

39. tessa says:

The CW would be nothing without TVD, SPN and Arrow

40. Misty Newton says:

Im really upset that i cant find the cw in my area anymore. I love supernatural! Vicksburg needs to bring it back!!!!