The Carrie Diaries to Add Sex and the City's [Spoiler] in Upcoming Season 2

Get More: Casting News

Ratings for The Carrie DiariesCarrie Bradshaw is about to meet an outrageous lifelong friend.

The Carrie Diaries will add the character of Samantha Jones — played by Kim Cattrall in HBO’s Sex and the City — in its recently announced second season.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid: What’s on When? And Versus What?

“I’m really, really excited,” star AnnaSophia Robb told TVLine at The CW’s upfront presentation in New York on Thursday. “I had to keep it a secret, but I think it’s going to be so much fun. I’m looking forward to seeing where that goes.”

The network previewed that we’ll see the two women, who grow up to delve deep into New York’s eligible bachelor (and in one case, bachelorette) pool, meet; turns out, Samantha is cousin to mean girl Donna LaDonna.

RELATED | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New

The role has not yet been cast.

Samantha is the ’80s-set prequel series’ second call-out to the stiletto-heeled original: Carrie‘s first season finale name-checked Stanford Blatch (who we know becomes Carrie’s gay bestie) as Bennet’s club-promoter roommate.

Who would you like to see play young Samantha? What other Sex and the City folk should show up in teenage Carrie’s world? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (75)

• Samantha is the one character I don’t care to see…she is such a cliche. We already have Donna as the “slutty” one so not sure why we need another character like this. The only way this will be interesting is if she is more complex and innocent than the character we saw on SATC.

Comment by Joline – May 16, 2013 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uhh that will be a tough one to cast. To find an actress which can translate Kim Cattralls sexuality. Let’s see where season 2 will go. Samanta is a tough one.

Comment by Maki – May 16, 2013 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AnnaLynne McCord would be good.

Comment by Nichole – May 16, 2013 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jinx!

Comment by Nene – May 16, 2013 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Rachie K – May 16, 2013 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Too much AnnaWhatever then! But I could see her there

Comment by brycealexander – May 16, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • PERFECT!

Though I’d like AnnaLynne to move away from the CW, she is very talented.

Comment by Ella – May 16, 2013 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hear Annalyne McCord is looking for work.

Comment by Nene – May 16, 2013 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the fact that Samantha will be there, but it ruins my vision of Miranda being the first friend Carrie met in New York(I don’t care about what they did in SaTC2 because for anyone who watched the show it is obvious that Charlotte was the last one).

Comment by SylwekG – May 16, 2013 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Anyone who has read the books, which the show is based on not the series or movies, would know that Samantha is the first one she meets.

Comment by sara – May 16, 2013 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I have never read the book…. but it is baffling to me how even though it’s the same writer for both, Carrie’s history is not consistent by any means. So for Sex & the City fans like SylwekG and I, it’s weird.

Comment by Kat – May 16, 2013 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • SatC was based on Candice’s writing about herself. She later wrote TCD as a prequel to SatC the series. Technically they are not based on the same sources.

Comment by Amanda – May 16, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Technically yes. But using the same characters makes one assume that the characters history/background doesn’t change between series.

Comment by Kat – May 16, 2013 09:44 AM PDT
          • Kat, the history didn’t change between series. The series is just different from the books. In the series, she met Miranda first, but in the books she met Samantha first.

Comment by Warren – May 16, 2013 11:25 AM PDT
        • The history is not consistent b/c Sex and the city was based off of one book, that’s not a lot of material to do six seasons on so there were a lot of liberties taken, wheras TCD has at least two books and likely more to work with. Plus Candace can write whatever she wants!

Comment by sara – May 16, 2013 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not based on the TV series so much though as it’s based on the prequel book series.

Comment by dude – May 16, 2013 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AnnaLynne McCord has a good chance of getting the part. Seeing as the CW loves to cast from a certain pool. She still has that youngish face. I’m looking forward to season 2. Antm and TCD will bebetter suited.

Comment by shuayb – May 16, 2013 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would rather see someone relatively unknown in this part as they are taking on an iconic character.

Comment by Gloria – May 16, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think it’s important to put a well-known actress to play Samantha just for rising of the audience of the serie which was being low.

Comment by Alessandra – May 18, 2013 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AnnaLyne McCord has a youngish face? You´re funny.

Comment by Emily – May 16, 2013 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AnnaLynne McCord!!

Comment by Vittoria Marinelli – May 16, 2013 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not a viewer of the show, but I am curious – does this show acknowledge the fact that the SatC Carrie is pretty much a chain smoker?
    I’m wondering as that’s not something you’d ever expect to see on a CW show (or most other non cable shows) unless it’s to make someone *more evil*.

Comment by Brian (@TheFifthDoctor) – May 16, 2013 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • well seeing as how this carrie is only like 16, she has a few years before she would become a chainsmoker…

Comment by Erik – May 16, 2013 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sure. Because teenagers – especially teenagers in the 80s – never smoked.

Comment by Joe C. – May 16, 2013 10:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally someone familiar! I had a hard time connecting with any of Carrie’s pseudo-new friends / characters on season 1 with the exception of Walt. They all seem dull and uninspired. Maybe with the inclusion of Samantha (and wasn’t there a hint Stanford would also appear?), I hope season 2 will be livelier.

Comment by Adam Fachry – May 16, 2013 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my god! Annalynne McCord would freaking amazing!

Comment by Adam – May 16, 2013 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’d have to play down what, ten years? And pending renewals that would get tougher.

Comment by John – May 16, 2013 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • To be fair, is a lot younger than some actors that play a teenager.

Comment by Ha – May 16, 2013 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • AND to be fair, the age difference between Carrie and Samantha was 5 or 6 years, exactly the age difference between AnnaLynne and AnnaSophia. Weird conincidence there with their names too, lol. Moreover, SJP and Kim Cattrall had a 14 year age difference!

Comment by Ella – May 16, 2013 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, I think AnnaSophia Robb’s face looks more like a young Samantha than a young Carrie Bradshaw.

Comment by pantheralumguy – May 16, 2013 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL that’s so true. As soon as I read the question of who we think should play a young Samantha, all I could think was AnnaSophia Robb would be perfect.

Comment by april-ann – May 16, 2013 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m planning to watch the first season this summer, but at least this sticks to the original in that Samantha is the first one of the girls that she’s friends with. (Considering Samantha was aware of Carrie’s abortion when none of the others were.)

Comment by Lois – May 16, 2013 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The first season starts off strong with the first episode, goes completely downhill but then finishes on a crazy high note. Give it a chance to the end and I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Comment by Joline – May 16, 2013 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am also for AnnaLynne McCord getting the role! She’d be an amazing actress to take the role and she was one of the reasons why people even tuned into 90210 while it was still on air. And if recall, Samantha was at least 10 year older than the other women, so it’s not like age is an issue seeing as AnnaLynne is only 25.

Comment by JJC (@GizmoAries93) – May 16, 2013 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Annalynne McCord was the ONLY reason why I kept watching 90210 after all these years. Would LOVE to see her as Samantha in TCD or possibly the lead in the Wonder Woman pilot Amazon. I just want her back on the CW as soon as possible!

Comment by Jared – May 16, 2013 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She would be a TERRIBLE Wonder Woman and that pilot didn’t even make it through the script phase.

Comment by dude – May 16, 2013 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for this!

Comment by Brandy – May 16, 2013 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmm, makes me wonder if they’ll keep the character of Larissa, since Larissa is currently Carrie’s older, promiscuous, party-loving friend. Don’t know if there’s room for both her AND Samantha.

Comment by Danny – May 16, 2013 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Larissa. She’s a character driven by power, not sex, unlike Samantha.

Comment by Joline – May 16, 2013 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, I really like Larissa, her personality, and how she nudges Carrie into being herself. It would actually be sort of fun to see Larissa and Samantha interact (perhaps they frequent the same clubs, or both have slept with the same guy?).

Comment by Danny – May 16, 2013 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If that role is not a series regular, I would like to see Jennifer Lawrence

Comment by Frank – May 16, 2013 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait! But Carrie said in Sex and The City movie 2 that she met Samantha when she bartended in CBGBs. Hello? Please stick to canon!!

Comment by Jo B. – May 16, 2013 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SaTC2 is definitely not canon. It’s inaccurate to the show. Charlotte was the last girl they met, she didn’t know a lot about other girls’ past and she didn’t appear in flashback of their college years, but in SaTC2 Carrie met her first. It doesn’t make any sense.

Comment by SylwekG – May 16, 2013 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed! And in SATC the series, Samantha knew bout Carrie’s abortion when none of the other girls did. There are lots of references throughout the series that Carrie and Sam have known each other the longest. Last point, Carrie meets Sam first in TCD book series. So there’s waaaay more evidence that this additon to the cast is is canon. SATC2 was a joke, I don’t know any sex and the city fans who like it.

(Based off of the original tv show,I always imagined that Carrie met Sam, then Miranda, and then Charlotte)

Comment by Twilight123 – May 16, 2013 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually the wonder woman show is still in development.

Comment by Winston – May 16, 2013 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This may be the second name-check to SaTC; but Nina Katz (aka, “The Face” who dated Aidan after Carrie) was Carrie’s father’s love interest in “The Carrie Diaries”. Talk about not sticking to canon.

Comment by Jamie Aitchison – May 16, 2013 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • omg i just realized this, how crazy!! lol

Comment by erica – June 14, 2013 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a fan of this show but I can’t help but feel like they are going to fast plot-wise (introducing Samantha etc.), without developing Carrie enough. She’s still a virgin, still doesn’t smoke, still in high school, and yet Samantha is coming on the scene. They should bring Carrie away from the young innocent girl in season two. The CW is too ‘well-behaved’, imo, to properly emerge the show in what young Carrie would be up to. Which is a shame because it could have been a more landmark, edgy show.

Comment by JB14 – May 16, 2013 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AnnaLynne McCord completely turned me off of 90210. Most likely the same will happen if she appears in TCD next season. Can’t stand her. Anyone but her please!!

Comment by wrstlgirl – May 16, 2013 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haha that should be fun. But this show is basically dead – its gonna air on Fridays. lol

Comment by anil – May 16, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they introduce Miranda, I would much rather see her than Samantha.

Comment by Lauren – May 16, 2013 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really much more interested in meeting young Stanford than young Samantha, but I think both definitely have great potential for the series, if handled well.

Comment by wordsmith – May 16, 2013 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And this is AWESOME!! And *of course* she’s related to Donna. Haha. I love Donna.

Comment by mia – May 16, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In the 2nd Carrie Diaries, she meets Miranda shortly after Samsntha. But Carrie is also a year older in the books than she is in the show.

Comment by Singing_gal – May 16, 2013 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AnnyLynne McCord would be perfect! I love that idea. The think I don’t like is that i’m curious to know what happens to the TCD characters like Mouse, Maggie, and Sebastian, but mostly Walt. Walt is supposed to be Carries gay best friend!

Comment by Matt – May 16, 2013 11:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not to get all nitpicky, but I’m pretty sure no girls in the 80′s wore Louboutin style 6 inch platform heels like the girl playing Carrie is in the thumbnail for this article (not saying as a man that I don’t love a girl who can rock those though). ;)

Comment by Jason – May 17, 2013 01:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dakota Fanning is a great person to choose for Samantha!!!!!!

Comment by Taniel – May 20, 2013 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also think Dakota Fanning would be a great person for Samantha!!

Comment by Renee – May 20, 2013 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring on AnnaLynn McCord! Since TCD started I thought she would be the perfect Samantha!

Comment by morgane – May 21, 2013 04:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think so to but I think they would want someone younger!!!!

Comment by Renee – May 21, 2013 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • when the hell does this tv show come back on

Comment by Elzie Gray – June 3, 2013 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what i find weird is that samantha is quite a bit older than carrie and while carrie is sixteen wont that make samantha like 20-22?

Comment by cj – June 9, 2013 03:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • well yea but larissa is older than her samantha can also be older and be there for her like larissa is with her

Comment by sandy – June 12, 2013 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s totally true!!! But I’m pretty sure they want someone who looks like Samantha Jones!!! Witch I think Dakota Fanning would be a good person for her!!!

Comment by Renee – June 17, 2013 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • im so excited especially that shes going to meet samantha although i totaly agree she should meet standford since hes one of her best friends thats always there fore her and you should take it slowly not bring too many characters from sex and the city because then it would be too much! im really looking forward

Comment by sandy – June 12, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Alyson Michalka would suit Samantha Jones, due to the way she acted in Easy A and The Roomate, she would be so good.

Comment by ctek – June 14, 2013 06:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Miley Cyrus should play Samantha

Comment by Jw – June 17, 2013 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thinking exactly — I think Miley Cyrus should play Samantha. She’s older and a tough girl…

Comment by Elle – July 5, 2013 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everyone wants AnnaLynne, but why not cast Dakota Fanning? She is gorgeous & has a somewhat resemblance of Samantha Jones.

Comment by kay – June 19, 2013 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking the same thing!! I’m pretty sure they want to find someone who looks like Samantha Jones and Dakota Fanning is that person!!!!

Comment by Renee – June 19, 2013 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • when is season 2 coming out!?

Comment by beccadh12 – June 19, 2013 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Phoebe Tonkin!

Comment by michellemarie – June 25, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First season was good except they made a mistake by making a reference to Adele…. Doesn’t match the setting, at that time Adele didn’t even exist. Not consistent

Comment by Geenie – July 8, 2013 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dakota Faning is just a kid. she has a baby face and there is no way she could pull that role off. I was thinking Blake Lively could be great for the role of Samantha. But that’s my opinion.

Comment by Bella – July 9, 2013 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post