The Carrie Diaries to Add Sex and the City's [Spoiler] in Upcoming Season 2

Ratings for The Carrie DiariesCarrie Bradshaw is about to meet an outrageous lifelong friend.

The Carrie Diaries will add the character of Samantha Jones — played by Kim Cattrall in HBO’s Sex and the City — in its recently announced second season.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid: What’s on When? And Versus What?

“I’m really, really excited,” star AnnaSophia Robb told TVLine at The CW’s upfront presentation in New York on Thursday. “I had to keep it a secret, but I think it’s going to be so much fun. I’m looking forward to seeing where that goes.”

The network previewed that we’ll see the two women, who grow up to delve deep into New York’s eligible bachelor (and in one case, bachelorette) pool, meet; turns out, Samantha is cousin to mean girl Donna LaDonna.

RELATED | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New

The role has not yet been cast.

Samantha is the ’80s-set prequel series’ second call-out to the stiletto-heeled original: Carrie‘s first season finale name-checked Stanford Blatch (who we know becomes Carrie’s gay bestie) as Bennet’s club-promoter roommate.

Who would you like to see play young Samantha? What other Sex and the City folk should show up in teenage Carrie’s world? Sound off in the comments!

1. Joline says:

Samantha is the one character I don’t care to see…she is such a cliche. We already have Donna as the “slutty” one so not sure why we need another character like this. The only way this will be interesting is if she is more complex and innocent than the character we saw on SATC.

2. Maki says:

Uhh that will be a tough one to cast. To find an actress which can translate Kim Cattralls sexuality. Let’s see where season 2 will go. Samanta is a tough one.

3. Nichole says:

AnnaLynne McCord would be good.

4. Nene says:

I hear Annalyne McCord is looking for work.

5. SylwekG says:

I like the fact that Samantha will be there, but it ruins my vision of Miranda being the first friend Carrie met in New York(I don’t care about what they did in SaTC2 because for anyone who watched the show it is obvious that Charlotte was the last one).

• sara says:

Anyone who has read the books, which the show is based on not the series or movies, would know that Samantha is the first one she meets.

• Kat says:

I have never read the book…. but it is baffling to me how even though it’s the same writer for both, Carrie’s history is not consistent by any means. So for Sex & the City fans like SylwekG and I, it’s weird.

• Amanda says:

SatC was based on Candice’s writing about herself. She later wrote TCD as a prequel to SatC the series. Technically they are not based on the same sources.

• Kat says:

Technically yes. But using the same characters makes one assume that the characters history/background doesn’t change between series.

• Warren says:

Kat, the history didn’t change between series. The series is just different from the books. In the series, she met Miranda first, but in the books she met Samantha first.

• sara says:

The history is not consistent b/c Sex and the city was based off of one book, that’s not a lot of material to do six seasons on so there were a lot of liberties taken, wheras TCD has at least two books and likely more to work with. Plus Candace can write whatever she wants!

• dude says:

It’s not based on the TV series so much though as it’s based on the prequel book series.

6. shuayb says:

AnnaLynne McCord has a good chance of getting the part. Seeing as the CW loves to cast from a certain pool. She still has that youngish face. I’m looking forward to season 2. Antm and TCD will bebetter suited.

7. I’m not a viewer of the show, but I am curious – does this show acknowledge the fact that the SatC Carrie is pretty much a chain smoker?
    I’m wondering as that’s not something you’d ever expect to see on a CW show (or most other non cable shows) unless it’s to make someone *more evil*.

8. Adam Fachry says:

Finally someone familiar! I had a hard time connecting with any of Carrie’s pseudo-new friends / characters on season 1 with the exception of Walt. They all seem dull and uninspired. Maybe with the inclusion of Samantha (and wasn’t there a hint Stanford would also appear?), I hope season 2 will be livelier.

9. Adam says:

Oh my god! Annalynne McCord would freaking amazing!

• John says:

She’d have to play down what, ten years? And pending renewals that would get tougher.

• Ha says:

To be fair, is a lot younger than some actors that play a teenager.

• Ella says:

AND to be fair, the age difference between Carrie and Samantha was 5 or 6 years, exactly the age difference between AnnaLynne and AnnaSophia. Weird conincidence there with their names too, lol. Moreover, SJP and Kim Cattrall had a 14 year age difference!

10. Honestly, I think AnnaSophia Robb’s face looks more like a young Samantha than a young Carrie Bradshaw.

• april-ann says:

LOL that’s so true. As soon as I read the question of who we think should play a young Samantha, all I could think was AnnaSophia Robb would be perfect.

11. Lois says:

I’m planning to watch the first season this summer, but at least this sticks to the original in that Samantha is the first one of the girls that she’s friends with. (Considering Samantha was aware of Carrie’s abortion when none of the others were.)

• Joline says:

The first season starts off strong with the first episode, goes completely downhill but then finishes on a crazy high note. Give it a chance to the end and I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

12. I am also for AnnaLynne McCord getting the role! She’d be an amazing actress to take the role and she was one of the reasons why people even tuned into 90210 while it was still on air. And if recall, Samantha was at least 10 year older than the other women, so it’s not like age is an issue seeing as AnnaLynne is only 25.

13. Jared says:

Annalynne McCord was the ONLY reason why I kept watching 90210 after all these years. Would LOVE to see her as Samantha in TCD or possibly the lead in the Wonder Woman pilot Amazon. I just want her back on the CW as soon as possible!

14. Brandy says:

Can’t wait for this!

15. Danny says:

Hmm, makes me wonder if they’ll keep the character of Larissa, since Larissa is currently Carrie’s older, promiscuous, party-loving friend. Don’t know if there’s room for both her AND Samantha.

• Joline says:

I love Larissa. She’s a character driven by power, not sex, unlike Samantha.

• Danny says:

I agree, I really like Larissa, her personality, and how she nudges Carrie into being herself. It would actually be sort of fun to see Larissa and Samantha interact (perhaps they frequent the same clubs, or both have slept with the same guy?).

16. Frank says:

If that role is not a series regular, I would like to see Jennifer Lawrence

17. Jo B. says:

Wait! But Carrie said in Sex and The City movie 2 that she met Samantha when she bartended in CBGBs. Hello? Please stick to canon!!

• SylwekG says:

SaTC2 is definitely not canon. It’s inaccurate to the show. Charlotte was the last girl they met, she didn’t know a lot about other girls’ past and she didn’t appear in flashback of their college years, but in SaTC2 Carrie met her first. It doesn’t make any sense.

• Twilight123 says:

Agreed! And in SATC the series, Samantha knew bout Carrie’s abortion when none of the other girls did. There are lots of references throughout the series that Carrie and Sam have known each other the longest. Last point, Carrie meets Sam first in TCD book series. So there’s waaaay more evidence that this additon to the cast is is canon. SATC2 was a joke, I don’t know any sex and the city fans who like it.

(Based off of the original tv show,I always imagined that Carrie met Sam, then Miranda, and then Charlotte)

18. Winston says:

Actually the wonder woman show is still in development.

19. This may be the second name-check to SaTC; but Nina Katz (aka, “The Face” who dated Aidan after Carrie) was Carrie’s father’s love interest in “The Carrie Diaries”. Talk about not sticking to canon.

20. JB14 says:

I am a fan of this show but I can’t help but feel like they are going to fast plot-wise (introducing Samantha etc.), without developing Carrie enough. She’s still a virgin, still doesn’t smoke, still in high school, and yet Samantha is coming on the scene. They should bring Carrie away from the young innocent girl in season two. The CW is too ‘well-behaved’, imo, to properly emerge the show in what young Carrie would be up to. Which is a shame because it could have been a more landmark, edgy show.

21. wrstlgirl says:

AnnaLynne McCord completely turned me off of 90210. Most likely the same will happen if she appears in TCD next season. Can’t stand her. Anyone but her please!!

22. anil says:

Haha that should be fun. But this show is basically dead – its gonna air on Fridays. lol

23. Lauren says:

I hope they introduce Miranda, I would much rather see her than Samantha.

24. wordsmith says:

I’m really much more interested in meeting young Stanford than young Samantha, but I think both definitely have great potential for the series, if handled well.

25. mia says:

And this is AWESOME!! And *of course* she’s related to Donna. Haha. I love Donna.

26. Singing_gal says:

In the 2nd Carrie Diaries, she meets Miranda shortly after Samsntha. But Carrie is also a year older in the books than she is in the show.

27. Matt says:

AnnyLynne McCord would be perfect! I love that idea. The think I don’t like is that i’m curious to know what happens to the TCD characters like Mouse, Maggie, and Sebastian, but mostly Walt. Walt is supposed to be Carries gay best friend!

28. Jason says:

Not to get all nitpicky, but I’m pretty sure no girls in the 80’s wore Louboutin style 6 inch platform heels like the girl playing Carrie is in the thumbnail for this article (not saying as a man that I don’t love a girl who can rock those though). ;)

29. Taniel says:

Dakota Fanning is a great person to choose for Samantha!!!!!!

30. Renee says:

I also think Dakota Fanning would be a great person for Samantha!!

31. morgane says:

Bring on AnnaLynn McCord! Since TCD started I thought she would be the perfect Samantha!

32. Elzie Gray says:

when the hell does this tv show come back on

33. cj says:

what i find weird is that samantha is quite a bit older than carrie and while carrie is sixteen wont that make samantha like 20-22?

• sandy says:

well yea but larissa is older than her samantha can also be older and be there for her like larissa is with her

• Renee says:

That’s totally true!!! But I’m pretty sure they want someone who looks like Samantha Jones!!! Witch I think Dakota Fanning would be a good person for her!!!

34. sandy says:

im so excited especially that shes going to meet samantha although i totaly agree she should meet standford since hes one of her best friends thats always there fore her and you should take it slowly not bring too many characters from sex and the city because then it would be too much! im really looking forward

35. ctek says:

I think Alyson Michalka would suit Samantha Jones, due to the way she acted in Easy A and The Roomate, she would be so good.

36. Jw says:

Miley Cyrus should play Samantha

37. kay says:

Everyone wants AnnaLynne, but why not cast Dakota Fanning? She is gorgeous & has a somewhat resemblance of Samantha Jones.

• Renee says:

I was thinking the same thing!! I’m pretty sure they want to find someone who looks like Samantha Jones and Dakota Fanning is that person!!!!

38. beccadh12 says:

when is season 2 coming out!?

39. michellemarie says:

Phoebe Tonkin!

40. Geenie says:

First season was good except they made a mistake by making a reference to Adele…. Doesn’t match the setting, at that time Adele didn’t even exist. Not consistent

41. Bella says:

Dakota Faning is just a kid. she has a baby face and there is no way she could pull that role off. I was thinking Blake Lively could be great for the role of Samantha. But that’s my opinion.

42. Hi! Would you mind if I shbare your blog with my twitter group?
    There’s a lot oof people that I hink would really enjoy your content.
    Please let mme know. Many thanks