Elementary Finale Recaplet: Love Hurts

Get More: Finales, Recaps

Elementary Moriarty RevealedThe “M” mystery is solved!

Thursday’s Elementary finally unmasked Sherlock’s biggest foe, Moriarty, and, turns out, it’s his one and only love Irene Adler (guest star Natalie Dormer)!

How’s that for a twist?

RELATED | Elementary Season 2 Premiere Filming in London

Sherlock first catches on to her when he notices that one of her birthmarks is missing, but he suspects that she’s working for Moriarty, not that she is the Big Bad.

So why did she come after the consulting detective back in London? Because he interrupted several of her meticulously planned assassination plans. Her first instinct was to kill him discreetly, but then she became curious about Holmes’ mind. It was “something too beautiful and complicated to destroy.” Instead, she found a way to study him and became the American Irene Adler. (Moriarty, thankfully, lets Natalie Dormer keep her British accent.) She continued to let him live because she discovered that he was not the threat she imagined he was. When he spiraled into addiction following her “death,” he proved that he was inferior to her. Then she came to New York because she heard of his “miraculous recovery.” Irene admits all this to Sherlock, who counters that the real reason she’s here is because he’s getting close to another one of her plots.

RELATED | Fall TV Schedule 2013 — What’s On When? And Against What?

“I see games,” she replies. “You’re a game I’ll win every time.”

“I would never kill you,” she continues. “Not in a million years. You’re still a work of art. I appreciate art. What I will do is hurt you, worse than I did before. … So please, for your own good, let me win.”

So what’s the nature of her business in New York? She’s cooked up a scheme to start a major political kerfuffle between Macedonia and Greece that would keep the former out of the European Union and let her profit big time when the old currency skyrockets. Although Sherlock eventually figures it out, it’s too late. Three people die in the process, and Moriarty’s game takes its toll on the investigator.

Joan urges him to let her go. “It is the only way this does not eat you alive,” she pleads. “She was right. Let her win.”

Instead of heeding her warning, Sherlock steals some drugs and overdoses at home. In the hospital, Irene pays him a visit. “I didn’t want this. Not again,” she admits. “I want to help you.” In fact, she wants him to come to London with her. “You’re broken to pieces right now. I can put you back together. And once you’re whole, I can show you a different way to live.”

But it turns out Sherlock’s not the only person who can surprise Moriarty. Watson figured her out and realized the real reason she could never kill Holmes: They both made the mistake of falling in love and being stupid. Watson then encouraged her partner to make it look like Irene had won by faking an overdose and drawing her to the hospital, where the cops were waiting.

Case closed.

Elementary fans, hit the comments with your thoughts on the Moriarty twist and then grade the episode below.

Tags: ,

Comments (140)

• Hey, I’m sure it won’t be changed, but this article spoiled the ending of season 1 for me and my lover, both on separate occasions. I hope the title can be changed. This comes up for both “irene adler” and “moriarty”.

Comment by Vael Victus – June 13, 2013 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FML. See, I was curious to see who was playing Irene Adler when she appeared in the 2nd last episode because I knew I’d seen that face before, so I googled ‘Elementary Irene Adler’

…then THIS PAGE comes up as the FIRST bloody result.

I know I’m not the first to complain about this, I’m about a month late (sor-ry I was busy), but I REALLY think this page should at least be renamed.

Comment by ysquared – June 20, 2013 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I personally hope that Irene is not M. There are several instances within the first season that eludes to Sherlocks father being M. I think that would be the better twist.

Comment by kryptickhaos – July 7, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AMAZING So many Twists I didn’t see coming :)

Comment by Flick Millard – July 9, 2013 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Your article comes up on google pretty high when I look up Irene Adler… Unfortunately here in Australia this episode hasn’t aired yet and you totally spoiled it for me. All I wanted to know was the name of the actress, not that she was Moriarty. I’m so disappointed =’(

Comment by Angie – July 14, 2013 04:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Irene Adler saved the series. Natalie is a fox!

Comment by ignacio de aragao – July 26, 2013 12:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why would you make the headline of your article a major spoiler?? I simply typed in Moriarty and 4 results down on google was your article’s spoiler headline.. impossible to miss. If you truly were a fan of TV you would have a little more respect for your audience. A sincere frak you!

Comment by DiMucci – July 28, 2013 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just want to go on record, because this has been bugging me for months.

Adler is not Moriarty. She is pretending to be Moriarty to throw Sherlock off the real Moriarty. It is a deal she made to protect Sherlock from the real Moriarty.

The show writers would never have tipped their “Who is Moriarty?” hand so soon in the series. Think about THEIR motives!

Comment by Eric Messick – October 5, 2013 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay. One thing. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT put a spoiler in the title of an article.

I just started (and have grown to love) this TV show, and I was curious as to whether the Irene Adler character from the books would show up, so I googled it. BAM: I read, “Moriary is Irene” as the second post after my Google search.

Just, please. Don’t do it. A little warning would have been nice.

Comment by Loulwa – December 10, 2013 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post