Fall TV Preview

CBS Fall Schedule Revealed: Thursday Comedy Block Expands, Person of Interest, Hawaii Five-0 on the Move, Mike & Molly Held to Midseason

cbsfallCBS on Wednesday revealed its primetime line-up for the 2013-14 TV season and herewith are the headlines: The Eye network is expanding its Thursday comedy block to a second hour, with Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Gellar’s The Crazy Ones snagging the 9/8c anchor position; Person of Interest  — which has added Sarah Shahi as a series regular for Season 3 — is on the move to Tuesdays at 10; and Hawaii Five-0 is being relocated to Fridays at 9.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

Also of note: CBS is swapping one Chuck Lorre comedy for another on Mondays at 9:30/8:30c, with new sitcom Mom bumping midseason-bound Mike & Molly (Eye prez Nina Tassler assured that the Melissa McCarthy sitcom will be back with a full season’s worth of 22 episodes), and 15-episode thriller Hostages has scored H50‘s Monday 10/9c timeslot (Josh Holloway’s Intelligence will take over when Hostages‘ run ends.)

Tassler also confirmed that the NCIS: LA offshoot NCIS: Red is DOA. “We’d love to try [launching another spin-off] again,” she said, “but protecting [the NCIS franchise] was really important.”

On tap for midseason, in addition to Mike & Molly: New series Friends with Better Lives and Reckless.

RELATED | Fall TV Schedule 2013: What’s on When? And Versus What?

All told, the CBS schedule looks like this. (New shows are in CAPS, click for details.)

MONDAY
8/7c How I Met Your Mother
8:30 pm WE ARE MEN
9 pm Two Broke Girls
9:30 pm MOM
10 pm HOSTAGES/INTELLIGENCE

TUESDAY
8 pm NCIS
9  pm NCIS: LA
10 pm Person of Interest

WEDNESDAY

8 pm Survivor
9 pm Criminal Minds
10 pm CSI

RELATED | Complete 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What Got Cancelled? What’s Returning?

THURSDAY

SUNDAY

7 pm 60 Minutes
8 pm
The Amazing Race
9 pm The Good Wife
10 pm The Mentalist

NOT RETURNING NEXT SEASON: CSI: NY, Golden Boy, Made In Jersey, Vegas, Partners and Rules of Engagement

Comments (289)

• Good for them for not doing another NCIS. It has to be about quality.

Comment by Amber – May 15, 2013 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate not having person of interest and elementary back to back, that was a great night of tv

Comment by Leah – May 15, 2013 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone who has read fan-made fall scheduling from various people on sites like TVBytheNumbers should not be surprised by these moves. CBS has planned a two hour block for two years, and with CBS ordering more comedies than dramas this year thee extra room had to go somewhere.

The big shock is Mike and Molly is off the fall schedule, using them as backup in case a new comedy fails.

Person of Interest on Tuesdays sounds like a double edged sword as many shows like Vegas and Golden Boy fail and shows like Good Wife and Unforgettable succeed in the same timeslot, but CBS has faith in them, and will succeed with both NCIS’s helping out and their rock-steady fanbase.

H50 moving to Fridays after a lackluster Monday shouldn’t be a shock to anyone. It’s not a death wish and if it can keep a steady base it will be around a while.

Hostages and Intelligence are sharing the Monday slot. I assume the drama with the better ratings wins.

Comment by lll – May 15, 2013 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hawaii Five 0 actually does really well on Mondays, there has been times it has beat out new episodes of Castle. I have a bad feeling that they are trying to kill off H50 which is really sad!
    I am not sure I like POI on Tuesdays, now with NBC moving Chicago Fire it conflicts for me!
    I will PVR POI.
    I was really hoping Reckless and the Advocates would get picked up, I guess Ben MacKenzie will get a season off!

Comment by sarah – May 15, 2013 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just saw Reckless may be added later.

Comment by sarah – May 15, 2013 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • H50 was decimated this season. Aside from winning a couple of times when Revolution was off air, it has been constantly beaten down to the third place even with massive promotions and a great lead-in.

Comment by GK – May 15, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Where was the massive promotions for Hawaii Five-0 and what show was the great lead in?

Comment by Olivia – May 16, 2013 03:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Most of the changes will work better for me, but I am really upset that CBS canceled Golden Boy! I think the show was great with a lot of potential for character developement. Maybe if enough people complain they will bring it back at mid-season! Come on Golden Boy fans – let your voices be heard!

Comment by Becky Cudo – May 15, 2013 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree if your a fan of Golden Boy and want it back voice your opinon .

Comment by David – May 15, 2013 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t think Golden Boy should be canceled, whether CBS brings it back mid-season, or one of the cable channels picks it up. Is voicing my opinion on this web site enough??

Comment by Kathleen – May 15, 2013 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But I don’t *want* to wait for mid-season for Intelligence.

Comment by Cass – May 15, 2013 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thrilled that Mentalist and Blue Bloods are coming back! Mom looks terrible and I think the casting is awful! I’ll check out the Crazy Ones but otherwise that will be it for CBS! I wish they would pick up SMASH – I think CBS could find the show a decent showrunner (Safran was a nightmare) and the right audience!

Comment by Caro – May 15, 2013 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • whereever H50 goes i go!!!

Comment by lucy – May 15, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! Love my Hawaii Five-0!!!

Comment by Olivia – May 16, 2013 03:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad they didn’t pick up the NCIS spinoff. I would have watched it because of my love for the franchise but I wasn’t digging the cast.

Comment by Elyse – May 15, 2013 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like CBS gave up on new dramas for a year after they had a few big times one fail badly last year

Comment by ggny – May 15, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping Elementary was on the move to avoid the Scandal, Parenthood, Elementary blockade at 10 pm.

Comment by GeoDiva – May 15, 2013 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hawaii 50 to the Friday Death Slot !!! Too much for the megahit CBS said it was. This show is a dud.

Comment by Suzie – May 15, 2013 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Worst remake EVER!

Comment by TV Critic – May 15, 2013 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • In my humble opinion, Hawaii Five-0 BEST REMAKE EVER!!!!

Comment by Olivia – May 16, 2013 03:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I am so right there with you Olivia!!!!! The BEST and I just love watching every MONDAY! Don’t know what’s going to happen now that they’re moving it though.

Comment by drkstr – June 18, 2013 11:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad about NCIS: Red. It’s the only reason I’ve watched NCIS: LA in over a year, and Red was the better show.

Comment by csr – May 15, 2013 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad “Red is DOA”. I didn’t like it at all. Love NCIS, like NCIS: LA. But Red didn’t measure up.

Comment by Chloe – May 15, 2013 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very sorry to see the The Mentalist is remaining on Sunday. I’ve about given up trying to watch it. It’s too annoying to have to keep checking to see when it’s actually going to come on [due to football, golf, etc] and having a 10PM show start a few minutes before 11PM is idiotic & rather thoughtless to their audience. I’d rather they just preempted it that week but they don’t. If it doesn’t show up on OnDemand by September, I may just say “adios” to it.

Comment by Chloe – May 15, 2013 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mike and Molly Mideseason really???? Are you kidding me, Mom sounds like it might be funny but that Men one in between How I Met Your Mother and 2 Broke Girls are you kidding me

Comment by Tom – May 15, 2013 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a tragedy that The Good Wife is gonna get screwed over again by sports this season. Ugh. So disappointing. On the plus side, looking forward to Person of Interest on Tuesdays. I don’t really watch anything on that day other than The Voice so it’s nice to have it there. POI, Grey’s Anatomy, and Glee all at 9pm on Thursdays was way too hectic!

Comment by A – May 15, 2013 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • R.I.P Hawaii Five-0. :(

Comment by RobMF – May 15, 2013 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh hope not. Unlike other shows CBS has moved to Fridays and then kills, when H50 tanks on Fridays, I hope they give it another chance in another time slot. Oh, I have a great idea. How about Mondays at 10:00 p.m. What a perfect time for that show! Geez, I just don’t know what schedulers are thinking sometimes!

Comment by drkstr – June 18, 2013 11:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Bad Teacher? I read it was in contention…

Comment by James – May 15, 2013 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hawaii 50 is the worst CBS procedural has right now. The ratings don’t justify the costs. Even with the syndication deal, CBS always gets syndication deals to all their shows that last 4 seasons. No big deal.

Comment by Sherry – May 15, 2013 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good Lord why can’t they leave good show where we are used to watching them.
    I liked Tuesday the way it was. I liked Thursday the way it was. Monday at 9c was crowded but I made it work.
    Now I have to chase show I like all over the week or just say forget it.

Comment by Dan – May 15, 2013 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I always smile at the Friday doomsday theory. Many years ago, CBS put a “mediocre ratings” show on Friday night… It ran for 13 yrs… It was called “Dallas”. Even now a lot of fans have said they want TNT’s version on Friday for posterity. Because that show was their Friday night pleasure. It’s really how well the show is received, and what it’s up against.

Comment by scottymac – May 15, 2013 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What happened to Debra Messing’s sitcom? I thought it had been picked up. Hopefully by coming in Mid-Season Mike and Molly will stop with the fertility issues. It’s not a funny topic and is getting real old real quick .

Comment by Shannon J (@theatredoah) – May 15, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can someone explain the comedy block into Elementary, thing? I know CBS has much love for the show, but will this benefit it? I’m torn. Going from four sitcoms into what can be a pretty dark hour is weird. But I get the better demo lead-in. Are they looking to take some pressure off E in an effort to get it safely into syndication? Because I think Elementary will potentially be a late-in-life hit like NCIS and TBBT once it hits 88 episodes. Great show, but while I’m happy it’s not being shuffled off to a death slot, I’m concerned that it’s still going to be battling Scandal. I think I would have preferred them to move E to 9pm Thursday and put POI at 10.

Comment by Epidrone – May 15, 2013 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice to see Alex o’Louglin back on Friday night! I may watch live on principle.

Comment by AT – May 15, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I will watch AOL anytime!

Comment by Olivia – May 16, 2013 04:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • POI was breath taking in a writer’s fresh approach to “cop dramas,” integrating flash back and future implications in a whole new way, especially in the notion of threads that bind a choice in real consequences. I also think the writers showed flawed people who juggle personal choice and real power, with very real consequences to themselves in “how to get the job done” in political, professional and psychic terms–and even showing “integrity” is serves many masters. I can see “the lazy susan of weekly hook ups” formula on the CW; I thought better of you, CBS.

Comment by sylvia sybil – May 15, 2013 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • D’oh! Part of my transmission garbled. Yes! to the change for POI; and BOO (hoo) for giving up on “Golden Boy” for the reasons given. Where the story was going was a bit of a shock, but the other characters were worthy of interest. Redemption and real learning rather than the cowardice of cynicism never goes out of style.
      Thanks!.

Comment by sylvia sybil – May 15, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What does this mean for Elementary? I love that show. CBS clearly loves the show. But can it grow with that lead-in? It’s such good quality and has an awesome cast. Do you think it’ll make syndication? I don’t agree with an above poster that it’s another H50. No comparison in quality and the fans that Elementary has seem to be very enthusiastic. I think it needs a summer buzz and maybe some award attention, but since it’s a network “procedural’ (sooo loosely) then I doubt it’ll ever get it. Or am I being dramatic?

Comment by DP – May 15, 2013 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad about NCIS: Red? I was so looking forward for a NCIS tri-factor on Tuesday night. I guess I will switch channel at 10pm. Hate POI. No other drama worth watching. (Gave up on Criminal Minds years & Mentalist years ago.)

Comment by jj – May 15, 2013 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love NCIS, and I can take or leave NCIS LA, but NCIS Red had the most lackluster Cast. I am surprised that they didn’t it make it more interesting with better characters.

Comment by JBC – May 16, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People make fun of CBS all the time, but I have to admit I do watch some of their shows regularly.

Hawaii Five-O – I watched b/c of Alex (Moonlight/Three Rivers) & Grace (BSG), but have stopped watching it after Jenna Kaye & Lauren German characters died/left (I like Catherine Rollins).

Intelligence is going to be a Beast (No NBC Revolution on Mondays 10PM so Yeah)

Like H5O, I sued to watch NCIS & NCIS LA put trailed off . . . I have watched every Episode of Person of Interest Live (replaces my Fox’s Human Target fix); Justified Yes/White Collar/Covert Affairs Yes/SOA No/Southland, BOP Ended

I like Criminal Minds (I have every episode ‘Recorded’ – one of the few CBS shows I have with 5+ Seasons); I watched CM Suspect Behavior (Beau Garrett) and would have liked NCIS RED (Paris Summerskill/Teddy Altman/Kim Raver)

Thursday (POI) so no CBS shows or Friday/Sat.

Sundays: I record TGW & TM, but for example here is what I watched recently . . .

08:00 PM Showcase/CAN – Continuum S02
    09:00 PM HBO/USA – Game of Thrones S03; AMC/The Walking Dead S03 in the Fall
    10:00 PM AMC/USA – Mad Men
    The Good Wife if I had time/bored.

In Conclusion: Intelligence (Josh Holloway); POI (Jesus & Ben Linus with Whiskey & Fairly Legal); Criminal Minds (Thomas ‘Hotch’ Gibson); H50 (Boomer/Athena) and TGW/Mentalist (Kalinda/Red John)

Comment by Bob Jones – May 15, 2013 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want my Mike and Molly! Very stupid move CBS…(*Starts making picket signs*)

Comment by L – May 15, 2013 10:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any word on Red Team the NCIS LA spin off did it make?

Comment by Bryan – May 16, 2013 05:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They wrote in the article above that RED is DOA (died on arrival). They aren’t making it to a spin-off.

Comment by drkstr – June 18, 2013 11:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Have Watched NCIS Since It First Aired And I Still Enjoy It. NCIS LA Runs Second To It On Tues Night And I Hope CBS Is Not Stupid Enough To Move And Cancel Either Of Them.
    CBS Has Stupidly Canceled Both Favored CSI Programs And Still Running The First CSI Program That Has Been On For Decades And Changed The Main Character Several Times But Still Do The Same Stuff. Why Is It Still On?

Comment by Gatha – May 16, 2013 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CBS Makes Stupid Moves With Programs And IF More Of Mine Get Moved And Or Canceled, Good Bye cbs

Comment by Gatha – May 16, 2013 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Normal TV Watching Is During Week Nights, Not On Sunday night Where There Is AlwaysSomething Prempting it

Comment by Gatha – May 16, 2013 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wish Beverly Hills Cop got picked up
    Maybe the summer lol

Comment by RyG – May 16, 2013 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand why you cancelled CSI: NY which to me was a well-written program and has a loyal following. If anything, the old CSI program should have been cancelled when William Peterson left. Along with this, the new one-season program Vegas was an enjoyable program as it related to the 60s era and enjoyable to watch. I guess, I’ll just be watching NCIS on Tuesdays and that is it. As far as the other “so-called” programs being aired they do not hold a candle to what was cancelled.

Comment by R Bolin – May 17, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I SO AGREE! AND, was hoping for NCIS: RED

Comment by Elaine – May 17, 2013 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate what cbs is doing to 5-0 and cancelling vegas, they always make stupid decisions.
    we love vegas and 5-0 having been to Hawaii an Vegas it was nice to watch. also they should move the good wife, with all the games it will ruin them again so ABC here I come love the way they put all the current shows on Hulu and Netflicks right away they sure know how to keep an audience not CBC always making stupid moves. Love ABC, NBC and LIFETIME the best. If it wasn’t for 5-0 and the good wife would never watch CBS.

Comment by Bella – May 17, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG – another viewer right with you! Just posted my own message about H 5-0 and Vegas! Worst decisions ever!

Comment by drkstr – June 18, 2013 11:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What happened to the new Jason Lee project, Second Sight? i was really lookinf forward to it!

Comment by susan newell – May 18, 2013 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just saw H5-0 finale, & if Grace Park doesn’t return next season, won’t watch no matter what night it’s on.

Comment by AH – May 25, 2013 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am disgusted that CBS cancelled Rules of Engagement. This comedy was the go to when the other comedies failed. I enjoy a lot of the programming on CBS, but am considering boycotting CBS since they are not concerned with what their viewers think. Also Mike and Molly is on hold? Yikes. Bad decisions. Hawaii Five O has been moved and this will be the kiss of death for that show.

Comment by Laura B – May 27, 2013 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am really going to miss CSI NY. I was upset when CSI Miami was cancelled last year. Two & A Half Men needs to go.

Comment by Doris – May 27, 2013 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Two Broke Girls and Mike and Molly were my Monday 8:00 central hour. It is the highlight of my Mondays. Keep them together.

Comment by Tracy – June 6, 2013 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • REALLY PISSED THAT HAWAII 5-0 IS MOVED to Fridays. It was the only decent show on Monday nights and I love that show!!! But now I’m going to have to watch it On Demand just like you made me do with Vegas because it conflicts with my main Friday night 9 p.m. show Grimm. You are not going to get better rating this way! You destroyed Vegas by doing this to them. You may have lost at least this viewer on Monday nights now. Very disappointed!

Comment by drkstr – June 18, 2013 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What I want to knowis what happened to Jason Lee’s Second Sight. I was REALLY looking forward to seeing him on TV again.

Comment by Geneieve Turner – June 26, 2013 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why don’t they take Elementary off and replace with CSI: New York? Elementary is a really stupid show.

Comment by Gloria – July 3, 2013 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because Elementary gets higher ratings and has a lower budget. It’s as simple as that.

Comment by Jay – July 10, 2013 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whom ever my this lineup with all these dud new shows stinks.Not one good show and won’t make it.Mondays and Thurdays i won’t turn on TV.Sundays always stinks Menalist only good show and has sorry time slot.CBS is going from number one fast to back in the pack.Really you get rid some shows that are better than you taking off I don’t get it.Good luck CBS you will need it,

Comment by Dennis – July 30, 2013 02:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uncompounded karen millen uk dress|clothes|clothing} bridal outfits Your bridal receiving earning sunrise is without a be in a state of uncertainty one of the most material spells throughout the your do it yourself karen millen coats supply even so it could as well be really of great|big|huge|ample|immense|great} price|costly}. for your new bride one of the most transverse commodities or services near to the browsing guideline are in most cases maneuvering getting the woman large circumstance|circumstance|event} habit garb and creating a awesome escalating horizontal of top horizontal of nature having settled that reasonably low-priced large circumstance|circumstance|event} habit garb inside the circuit now outlets is typically practicable to contain the outfits of your dreams without rupture your banker karen millen uk dresses.

Comment by karen millen yellow dress asos – September 16, 2013 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post