Arrow Finale Recap: Who Made a Grave Sacrifice?

Get More: Finales, Recaps

Arrow Season Finale Recap Tommy DiesWarning: The following contains spoilers from the Season 1 finale of The CW’s Arrow.

“Sacrifice” was the title and theme of Arrow‘s Season 1 finale, and at the end of an hour that was basically Twitter-proof — any number of tweets of despair, anxiety and the always trusty “Oh nooooo!” could have applied to multiple characters thrust into danger in the final moments — one key player was not able to walk away.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled?

“You don’t know in your heart what you’re fighting for, what you’re willing to sacrifice. And I do.” So Malcolm Merlyn aka Dark Archer taunted his captive rival, Oliver Queen aka the Hood/vigilante. But this is Oliver Queen we’re talking about, so once the coast is clear, he nimbly extricates himself from his chains and subdues multiple guards, getting an assist along the way from an arriving Diggle.

Meanwhile, Detective Lance corrals Felicity, having become privy to her pattern of Hood-related hacking — but their face-off is interrupted by said vigilante, who calls to tip off the cop about The Undertaking. Lance is skeptical — after all, has anyone since Lex Luthor sought to manmake an earthquake in the name of wrecking real estate? — yet nonetheless loops in his boss, even at the peril of his career.

Oliver brings Tommy up to speed on Malcolm’s machinations, explaining, “Our fathers were not the men we thought they were.” He also suggests that Tommy has “always known, deep down” the type of man his dad is. But Tommy isn’t hearing it, hissing back, “I wish you’d have died on that island.”

Speaking of the island, a brief pause to update: In flashback we see that Fyers did fire (fyer?) off a missile, but Oliver, Shado and Slade were able to fend off the armed forces and reroute the rocket, blowing their captor’s camp. Later, Fyers resurfaces with Shado at gunpoint, but Oliver pulls back on Yao Fei’s found bow and drops the villain — thereby sacrificing his freedom for her.

Back in Starling City, Oliver confronts his mom, demanding, “No more lies.” Moira explains, “Everything I’ve done was to protect you and your sister,” that she holds Malcolm responsible for Robert’s death. Ollie then clues her in on Robert’s noble sacrifice on the raft, “so that I could live.” When Malcolm calls Moira to say he’s fast-tracking The Undertaking, Oliver races off — “Somebody in this family needs to put an end to this, no matter the cost” — but not before stopping an inordinate amount of time to deliver to Laurel a fine but strangely romantically lit  speech about how the island “scraped away” everything that he wasn’t to reveal the man she always saw…? Oh, and P.S. “Stay out of The Glades tonight!”

Malcolm confesses his litany of misdeeds to Tommy, Unfinished Businessplaying the voicemail a dying Rebecca left as his justification. “This city can’t be saved because people there don’t want it to be saved,” he roars. “They deserved to die! All of them! The way she died!”

While Moria holds a press conference to confess her role in The Undertaking and alert the Gladians (Gladiators?) to git outta dodge, Felicity helps Lance track down and deactivate the device. Yay! Alas, after a rousing rooftop fight — during which the Dark Archer taunted Oliver, “Your mother and sister will be joining you in death,” only to wind up on the business end of an arrow — the bleeding baddie laughs to his foe, “If I learned anything as a businessman, it’s redundancy.” And boom, a second device begin cratering the left side of the Glades… where CNRI is located.

Over in the rumbled jungle, Roy uses some nifty skills to fend off a group of thugs, his bacon ultimately saved by Thea and her “wicked aim” with a beer bottle. Roy then detours their drive out of town to selflessly save some fellow citizens, but not before grabbing a swell smooch from his No. 1 girl. “You better haul ass outta here,” she urges the one-day Speedy.

We then turn to the final set piece, after a sobbing Felicity alerts Oliver to the dire sitch in Laurel’s nabe. And sure ’nuff, Laurel has been pinned by a felled slab of concrete, but Tommy shows to pull her free, explaining of his presence, “I love you.” But just as Laurel escapes the building, it implodes with Tommy inside. Oliver runs in through another entrance to save his friend, but that simply will not be happening.

“I am my father,” Tommy frets with his final breaths. “No, you’re not,” Oliver counters. Tommy asks, “Did you kill him?” “No.” (Which may be the truth.) “Thank you,” Tommy says, and as he fades away, Oliver breaks down, bellowing, “It shoulda been me! Open your eyes!!”

What did you think of the Arrow finale? Did the scope of the episode and the drama blow you away? On a scale of 1 to 10, how much did Tommy’s death shock you?

Want scoop on Arrow, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Tags: ,

Comments (162)

• Oliver was right — it should have been him. Tommy was the better character. Shame they killed him and not Laurel.

Comment by I Heart Damon Salvatore – May 15, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah… I’m not with you on that one (in any way, shape or form). But it will be marvelous when Malcolm find out he killed his own son…

Comment by Temperance – May 15, 2013 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • As far as I could see, Malcom died too.

Comment by Evan – May 16, 2013 01:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I hope he is still alive..

Comment by brb123 – May 16, 2013 01:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I hope they leave Malcolm dead. It’s such a ‘tv’ thing to do to bring him back from the dead. Just move on to another bad guy.

Comment by Sara – May 16, 2013 05:33 AM PDT
          • They should leave Malcom dead and move on to Fyers boss, whoever She was!

Comment by Jay – May 16, 2013 11:05 AM PDT
    • They can’t kill Laurel considering her character is based on Black Canary.

Comment by James – May 15, 2013 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, they need to hurry up. They’ve wasted Katie for an entire year. She’s been nothing but a chewtoy between two dogs. I haven’t once seen her established as her own character with her own POV, and having her forgive Oliver so easily after his betrayal with Sarah was just not good for her character development.

Comment by I Heart Damon Salvatore – May 15, 2013 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • People in love do ridiculous things, like forgiving people that don’t always deserve to be forgiven. Sorry to burst your bubble — but if someone you, at one point, wanted to marry and settle down with returned after 5 years from an island when everyone assumed they were dead…. yeah, you’d probably re-think hating them too. Just because you’re angry at someone once doesn’t mean you have to spend the rest of your life doing it — I’ll accept the show’s reasoning behind her “easy acceptance”. It’s reasonable in my eyes.

Comment by Brent – May 15, 2013 11:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I hope they get another actress to play this part or just skip that character Laurel plays entirely. Complete waste of time.

Comment by kitty-bye – May 16, 2013 12:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I actually think they waited too long for her to forgive him. Putting that distance between her and Oliver for most of this season put her on an island (so to speak) and separated her from a lot of the action. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: the writers are TERRIBLE at writing dynamic female characters. There’s the funny one (Felicity), the bratty one (Thea) and the damsel in distress (Laurel).

Comment by dude – May 16, 2013 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • What, shouldn’t Laurel be considered a highly qualified professional woman, “sacrificing life and integrity” in a humanitarian effort in the “Glades!” She is compassionate, passionate and endearing in her convictions, she also adores her father, despite an estranged mother, whom only surfaced briefly to search for her [baby girl] younger daughter. Yet, Laurel handles it all pretty well, 4 now at least! An then there’s Moira, talk about conflicted, this lady has enough complexities to write a Freudian 20 page essay on!

Comment by ejaye – May 19, 2013 12:15 PM PDT
          • I’m a woman and I think they write female characters such as Felicity, Moira, Shado, and Thea (after some issues at the beginning with Thea) well. My only problem with them is with the characterization of Laurel.

Comment by brb123 – May 22, 2013 12:28 AM PDT
        • Really well said. I am super easy to please when it comes to TV relationships, but I cannot care about Laurel and Oliver because Laurel is a non-person. She’s totally inconsistent.

Comment by Dana – May 16, 2013 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This comment is WIN. I think Laurel would be considerably better received if they wrote her better and more badass. Katie Cassidy definitely has the snark and the acting chops to pull off being a wicked cool superhero in her own right, along with being a strong love interest rather than a whiny, indecisive damsel in distress. I’m hoping season 2 will be better for her, she deserves it.

Comment by Ella – May 16, 2013 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I actually get the impression that they’re hinting at Sarah (isn’t that her name? Laurel’s sister.) being the Black Canary once she shows up. They keep giving clues/hints that Sarah’s not dead, and they were also talking about Sarah’s pet bird at one point not too long ago.

Comment by Misti – May 20, 2013 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I heard the actress that plays Sara asked to be released from Bold and the Beautiful now. I wonder if this means we’ll see her showing up again on Arrow.

Comment by brb123 – May 22, 2013 12:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Tommy’s character is based on Merlyn and they killed him. This show is playing fast and loose with the DC mythology in the best way possible. By killing off such an important character, they’re basically saying that they aren’t afraid to forge their own path and create their own story. I kind of respect that.

Comment by Jason Rey – June 18, 2013 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, There are no sparks between Laurel & any other character. Why kill off Tommy and keep this character in the show?

Comment by kitty-bye – May 16, 2013 12:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Laurel is going to be the Black Canary and hopefully that storyline would make her interesting. As for Tommy, I’m glad he died choosing the right side and I’m glad he stood up to his father instead of turning evil.

Comment by brb123 – May 16, 2013 01:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was thinking about that …. Felicity.
        Black Canary? BLONDE Felicity BLONDE
        We saw recently she’s attracted to Oliver, now she is known to cops as an archer ‘fan’, and possible aide. Later, after Laurel is killed off in a season or three, she’s now hounded by the cops and assumes a new ID. Just to play with Dt. Lance, she takes the new, well quasi, ID of his ex, Dinah Lance and super-hacks a new and full background for herself. After a few nip and tucks, and vocal cord surgery (If you know Black Canary … you’ll see the pun) Oliver pays for, Felicity is gone, Dinah is ‘born’.
        Just an idea

Comment by PPPG – May 16, 2013 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • originally Black Canary’s blonde hair was a wig…

Comment by Erik – May 16, 2013 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I remember, but bear in mind the show basically re-boots the universe.

Comment by PPPG – May 16, 2013 08:51 AM PDT
          • Interesting! Remember the comment from Felicity that she dies her hair blonde!!

Comment by brenna – May 16, 2013 11:13 AM PDT
          • remember Oliver (as i remember) pointed out that Felicity is blond and she said that she just dyed it. She has even darker roots. Black Canary could be Felicity if the writers want. And for Tommy, I’m sure he would return as a villain assuming that his father would do anything to bring back his son or at least a semblance of him physically.

Comment by gatz – May 19, 2013 03:17 AM PDT
        • I sense a new Chlois theory taking shape…

Comment by Craig Payne – May 16, 2013 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • not from me … I never saw Chloe as Lois. Besides, t’was just a hypothesis. O:-)

Comment by PPPG – May 17, 2013 10:55 AM PDT
        • Falicity is not Black Canary becoes Black Canary in comic book is not Calld Falicity i hope you understand thiz

Comment by Dario – May 19, 2013 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • “she takes the new, well quasi, ID of his ex, Dinah Lance” – try reading…..

Comment by The Grump – May 21, 2013 10:09 AM PDT
    • You Realy dot understand Comic book Story Laurel cant die becoes she whil be Black Canary if you dont understand it why you say somthing like that

Comment by Dario – May 18, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was surprised they killed off Tommy because I thought Tommy was supposed to become the Lex Luthor to Oliver’s Superman. Now I guess Malcolm will fulfill that role, that is, if he’s still alive.

Comment by Someone – May 15, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s a tired, tired story. It’s much better to leave his father alive because now he’s lost his son too, and who do you think he’s going to blame for that? Yeah. Next time he crosses paths with Oliver . . . epic.

This show had its issues getting started, but it’s made a lot of progress getting them straightened out and this episode was really good.

Now if only they could get rid of Laurel . . .

Comment by fingers crossed – May 15, 2013 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not to mention how John Barrowman is clearly the bigger star (and better actor). Malcolm surely looked dead but if they somehow allow him to survive, it would not be bad thing.

Comment by Quinn Mallory – May 15, 2013 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • He’s a bigger star but I have to say Colin Donnell as Tommy was was a perfectly fine actor in the role. Also, he’s extremely nice to look at so its a loss of eye candy.

Comment by Ty – May 16, 2013 04:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Seeing as the show which made John Barrowman mega famous (Doctor Who/Torchwood) didn’t want him to reprise Captain Jack Harkness for the big anniversary in November, Doctor Who/Torchwood’s loss is Arrow’s gain if they can make John Barrowman a series regular for season 2 as they’ve done already for the actress who plays Felicity.

Comment by Scott – May 21, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He is at fault for his son’s death but if he’s still alive off course he would blame Oliver. I hope to see them facing each other again so I want him to live.

Comment by brb123 – May 16, 2013 01:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Obvious that Tommy would get killed off, since, now that Laurel chose Oliver, where would he fit in? Nowhere.

Comment by Rune – May 15, 2013 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Very true, you had two directions to go, either Tommy takes over as the Dark Archer from his dad (his dad having died) or his dad survives, Tommy has no place in the shows story so he has to die.

Comment by M3rc Nate – May 15, 2013 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That is right if you put it that way. If you ask me Tommy could comeback as a conflicted character choosing between his friend or his father. It would be nice to make an important character that is non superhero when almost all of the cast is being talked about to have an alter ego.

Comment by gatz – May 19, 2013 03:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Quentin, Moira, Walter, Diggle, and Felicity are not planned to have an alter ego anytime soon, and they could add more characters without specific comics role too.

Comment by brb123 – May 22, 2013 12:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dislike Laurel so much, I don’t know if its Katy Cassidy or just the character the show would be better without her

Comment by Mk – May 15, 2013 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Reverse that, and that’s pretty much how I’m feeling at the moment. I love Cassidy, however, and they have to give Laurel room to change and grow into the Canary, obviously.

Comment by Temperance – May 15, 2013 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hope this is true, though i am curious how they will go about her being the Canary considering so far they arent going super natural, and they said like the Nolan Batman movies they dont want to and keep everything based in some form of realism, yet her power…how can you make that real? She screams like the Banshee….you cant replace that with technology like Spidermans web shooting ability.
        I havent been a huge fan of the character but thats mainly because we (viewers) know what she doesnt. Now that shes been with Oliver and the moments they have together i really enjoy her character, thank god the love triangle is done, hopefully they give them a solid amount of episodes of being together and in love before they throw wrenches in it. Im sure one of the things on their short list is having the Asian girl show up considering Oliver has feelings for her on the island.

Comment by M3rc Nate – May 15, 2013 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Black Canary, though, is less defined by her metahuman power than the fact that she’s one of the best martial artists in the DCU. She went for how long without it until she got dipped into a Lazarus Pit? Her renaissance in the mid-90s certainly came about when she was powerless. (When she did have a technological replacement for it, actually.)

And of course, the original Canary (Dinah Laurel Lance’s mother) didn’t have a cry. I don’t think it will be an issue for the show if they want to take Laurel the martial arts route, especially seeing as how they already hinted at it early in the season.

(I’m less familiar with her New 52 persona because I don’t read much DC these days, but this series seems to pull very little inspiration from the New 52, anyway.)

Comment by Nellie C. – May 16, 2013 04:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You clearly haven’t been keeping up with the news. The show’s producers said they can do supernatural/super powered any time they like, it’s just a matter of when and not making them look stupid and over powered. Also the producers for this show also wrote Green Lantern, and they said that there is a high possibility of Ryan Reynolds appearing as GL down the line. Also also – the producers are writing a Booster Gold show on Syfy, which is going to appear in the same universe, so crossovers ahoy

Comment by James – May 16, 2013 06:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That “Asian girl” has a name, you know. It’s Shado.

Comment by C – May 16, 2013 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Shut up

Comment by steve – October 26, 2013 09:31 PM PDT
      • I agree. I feel like we’re passed the worst of Laurel though. I adore Katie Cassidy and she’s not only a strong actress but such a strong presence in most things she’s in but the writers of Arrow just don’t know how to write strong female characters (Moira Queen is the only exception). I feel like they purposely made her a bit of a “damsel in distress” type to make her descent into darkness more poignant when she ultimately turns into the Black Canary and I hope we start seeing a bit of that payoff in season two.

Comment by dude – May 16, 2013 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No it wont she is one of as i like her many of as like her and if you dont like the show only becoes of her dont watch it buth dont go and judge becoes many fans like her

Comment by Dario – May 19, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If tommy would of lived he would of ended up giving oliver up, there was just too much jeolousy concerning laurel. When he seen them making out i was like o boy he wont be keeping olivers secret much longer.

Comment by mtdub – May 15, 2013 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still don’t believe that Tommy is dead! For me he’s just unconcious and he needs immediate medical attention, but I think he can be saved! I was almost screaming to Ollie to get him out of there before he completely bleeds out! I won’t believe Tommy is dead until they confirm it next season or tomorrow on an interview with the actor or the writers :/. I certainly hope he`s not dead! I’ve started liking him!

Comment by Ronnie – May 15, 2013 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • nooooooo! I just got the confirmation from another website that he’s indeed dead!! :’(. I didn’t see this coming at all!! I’m so sad and shocked! :’(

Comment by Ronnie – May 15, 2013 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I liked the actor and he did a great job, but the character had to go to keep the plot evolving. And you can’t keep up a large cast with the SFX budget.

Comment by Temperance – May 15, 2013 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He is dead. E!Online already interviewed him and starting from July, he’s back on Broadway.

Comment by brb123 – May 16, 2013 01:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Now his twitter post from a few weeks back makes sense. He tweeted a pic of the Broadway poster, and I was wondering how he could possibly film season 2 of Arrow based on the performance dates. Too bad, I liked him. He and Oliver make a sexy duo!

Comment by B – May 17, 2013 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If he’s indeed dead I’m 100% shocked!!!! 10 to reply your question!

Comment by Ronnie – May 15, 2013 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Suprised Tommy died and curious whether Malcolm is alive… b/c if he is God help Starling city. I’m fine w/ Laurel surviving, I just hope her fashion style died in the Glades.

Comment by laura – May 15, 2013 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s so funny. I was thinking the same thing. Felicity had on that cute short skirt and boots and Laurel had high top tennis shoes and pants.

Comment by brenna – May 16, 2013 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10 that Tommy would be killed off since I was predicting it weeks ago, but that was still a great finale. Very intense. For a freshman season that got better and better, it’s left me feeling a bit sad that I now have to wait four to five months for a new episode.

Comment by Joel – May 15, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ^^ naw tommys dead they had to kill him off because he wouldnt of kept the secret.

Comment by mtdub – May 15, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gosh why tommy? He is my best man in d whole movie

Comment by christina yan – May 15, 2013 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I’m relieved we don’t have to endure the tired trope of Tommy becoming the new supervillain to avenge Malcolm (thank you for sparing us–good job, writers), I’m sad to see Tommy die. He was a likable character played by a likable actor. I wanted him to remain an innocent and get a happy ending.

Comment by BTM – May 15, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Malcolm survived…he is “immortal” lol

Comment by LaurenTVEA (@LaurenTVEA) – May 15, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I too think he survived

Comment by brb123 – May 16, 2013 02:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Teehee!!!! :)

Comment by DoctorWhoFanatic! – May 16, 2013 05:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There was nothing to suggest he died really. He passed out after the fight with Oliver and Ollie told Tommy point-blank that his father was still alive. There’s no way Oliver would have lied in that moment unless he’s gotten truly sociopathic.

Comment by Floodlit World – May 16, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re not making sense. Oliver would not have to be sociopathic to lie about Malcolm’s death. He might have done it to comfort a dying friend. Lots of people would do that in his place, I’m sure. OTOH, I don’t think Malcolm will stay dead, if he even is supposedly dead right now.

Comment by Chris – May 16, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the green lantern nod at the beginning, and the joker reference. I give it a 10

Comment by Bender – May 15, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh wow where did I miss a Joker reference??

Comment by Jooshua – May 15, 2013 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • the why so serious quote between Oliver and tommy in tommys office. I’ve only heard the joker say that.

Comment by Bender – May 15, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Or read.

Comment by Bender – May 15, 2013 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I didn’t even think about that when he said.. awesome! I wonder if they will bring Green Lantern on this show? He seems out of place..

Comment by Jooshua – May 15, 2013 07:18 PM PDT
    • They probably won’t, I noticed the ferris aircrafts airplane that will probably the extent of the green lantern universe.

Comment by Bender – May 15, 2013 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that is how its done fantastic season finale. I was totally wrong i thought for sure Tommy would take over as the Dark Archer so cudoos to them for their filthy chicanery. so stoked for next season already i hate waiting over the summer but thems the breaks, it seems clear Tommy’s death will push Laurel and Ollie away from each other which i’m dreading because its going to drag out over the whole season, hopefully I’m wrong about that and Laurel leaves to find herself and Felicity can step in and comfort Ollie in his time of need :)
    Good luck Revolution because their is no way I’m watching you over Arrow unless Arrow is moved.

Comment by James – May 15, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Felicity is my favorite character. As long as they didn’t kill her off I’m happy!

Comment by katrina – May 15, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like others i still believe Malcolm is still alive and i hated to see tommy die but i dont think i wanted to go through the back and forth fighting between oliver and tommy over laurel. In the end laurel would of ended up with oliver anyway so im glad the writers spared us or at least me of that. I never thought of him turning into the lex type tho. i think malcolm will stay the super villian.

Comment by mtdub – May 15, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great season ender. I figured it was Tommy who would die but now Malcolm has a new reason to hate and to come after Oliver. Plus there are some cliffhangers – how does Moira get out of jail, will this push Ollie into telling Laurel his secret and how injured is Malcolm and Digg? Plus the recovery of Starling City. Great first season and set up for season 2….

Comment by sladewilson – May 15, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Laurel is a snake,she cannt make up her mind on which out of the 2 friends she really wants to be with so nt it and dirty

Comment by christina yan – May 15, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does the writer not proof read or have an editor check out the work before submitting?! Seriously it reads like a middle schooler wrote this…

Comment by Edge – May 15, 2013 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Typos fixed, long week here in Upfrontsland. Thanks for the note, Edge!

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – May 15, 2013 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You responded in a very nice way. That says good things about you.

Comment by brenna – May 16, 2013 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t say I knew for a fact that they were going to kill off Tommy, but I definitely knew something was up when I saw the dates for “Love’s Labour’s Lost” at Shakespeare in the Park a couple of weeks ago. There was just no way Colin Donnell could be doing that and film the first episodes of the second season at same time! And add to that the new cast members announced around the same time… :-/ Still, it’s sad to see him leave the show!

Comment by JL – May 15, 2013 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now I can go watch the finale tomorrow. I am so glad Tommy is dead. He is the only character I don’t like that is on the show currently. Love Malcolm, he is a cool bad dude.

Comment by jj – May 15, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Even if Malcolm is alive, Diggle was still there, and although he was in bad shape as well, I don’t think he will let Malcolm escape.

Comment by Babar Suhail (@BabarSuhail) – May 15, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And if I saw that correctly, Oliver stabbed himself through the heart to be able to also stab Malcolm. How he was able to immediately ride off on his motorcycle was a bit of a stretch, but overall the finale was great.

Comment by Sg. Grant – May 16, 2013 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you! I’ve searched the entire Internet for your comment. I was wondering the same thing! Really bad scripting here!

Comment by john – May 16, 2013 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ahh I thought it was the shoulder. :-)

Comment by PPPG – May 16, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I came on TV Line, saw that picture of Stephen Amell, and began to shudder uncontrollably with lust.

Comment by Jase – May 15, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone think Felicity survived? Also where was she when she contacted Oliver?

Comment by Val Parfenoff – May 15, 2013 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shes fine Oliver asked her she was in the Arrow lair Plus the actress was upgraded to contract status for next season

Comment by Josh – May 15, 2013 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just want Laurel to become Black Canary and Roy to become Speedy.

Comment by Sydney – May 15, 2013 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely forgot about speedy until you said that, I thought his name sounded familiar. He’ll probably take the arsenal name instead of speedy.

Comment by Bender – May 15, 2013 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think Roy will become Red Arrow Thea will Be Speedy and Diggle will be Aresenal in a Twist

Comment by Josh – May 15, 2013 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • there has to be a reason why Thea is called Speedy, right? We are looking at some epic sh*t for season 2, can’t wait!

Comment by Snice – May 16, 2013 02:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He won’t take on any name but people will naturally call him Speedy because that’s what he is. There is even a background story of Roy Harper where he was a track runner in high school who won a major race (Arrow #33). And I don’t think he will be called Red Arrow any more than Oliver is called Green Arrow – Oliver thought that name was lame. Malcolm is the only one who called him Green Arrow but now that he know’s who Green Arrow is that’s not likely to happen. They will call him that eventually.

Comment by Brian A Boudrot – May 24, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • it’s more likely he’ll jump straight to Arsenal/Red Arrow and that would leave room for Thea to become speedy (which is Ollie’s nickname for her, and if she is loosely based off of Mia Dearden from the comics then technically it would be accurate, semantics i know, but i totally agree with you, i hope they don’t draw out Laurel becoming BC, the character desperately needs a purpose.

Comment by James – May 15, 2013 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Arsenal/Red Arrow seems more the line with this show, speedy would have been on smallville

Comment by Bender – May 15, 2013 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Plus I hope they don’t make thea into mia dearden, they make it depressing

Comment by Bender – May 15, 2013 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • They did make it a point to have her hit that bad guy with the bottle and comment about her good aim.

Comment by Paul – May 15, 2013 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • yeah totally i thought of it because of the little drug habit she had it seems like that is where the writers where taking her. but you’re right an HIV positive former prostitute is probably a little too much for the CW :)

Comment by James – May 15, 2013 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • They did that story on Smallville (9th season) with Mia Dearden but it didn’t go any where. After that Oliver hooked up with Chloe and they moved to Star City.

Comment by Brian A Boudrot – May 24, 2013 05:33 PM PDT
        • Also, I’m pretty sure her full name is Thea Dearden Queen (Dearden being Moira’s maiden name)

Comment by wordsmith – May 16, 2013 12:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • This is her full name and how the judge called Thea during the Vertigo episode.

Comment by brb123 – May 16, 2013 02:26 AM PDT
  • Really wish it had been Ollie to save Laurel instead of Tommy. Inevitably, either way it was cliche, but I feel like the fact that Tommy sacrificed himself for her might make Laurel be a bit more distant to Ollie. Which is sad because I have shipped them so hard from the beginning. When I saw her get trapped my hopeless romantic mind instantly formulated Ollie saving her and his hood falling off in the mess or something of the sort and her figuring out who he was. It sounds lame, but in my head it was pretty intense. I am, however, glad that Tommy isn’t going to be able to go all Harry Osborne on us. Please, that plot is soooo overused. Kudos to the writers for that but again I really wish Ollie had saved Laurel, and either way it would have been a bit cliche so don’t even use that as a defense. Sorry for the rant. I’d love to hear others’ thoughts on this matter.

Comment by engineergirl86 – May 15, 2013 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Distancing Laurel and Oliver is by design since it will only be the 2nd season.

Comment by Quinn Mallory – May 15, 2013 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m surprised Diggle wasn’t the expendable one. and i know i’m probably the ONLY ONE but i think Felicity is way more fun than Laurel. on another note whoever does katie cassidy’s makeup is an expert. she always looks GORGE!

Comment by Lanae (@NaeMarx) – May 15, 2013 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Diggle couldn’t go, since he has unfinished business with Deadshot ! I personnaly was convinced it was Quentyn’s turn to die, and this amazing show proved me wrong !

Comment by Lukas – May 16, 2013 02:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d be shocked if preferring Felicity to Laurel is an unpopular opinion.

Comment by ABBY – May 16, 2013 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do u guys think Felicity survives?

Comment by Val Parfenoff – May 15, 2013 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! She is on contract for next season plus the last we saw her she told oliver she was fine!

Comment by Josh – May 15, 2013 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank god, she’s my favourite. I was really worried she was going to die last night.

Comment by D. – May 16, 2013 03:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Does anyone know if Emily Brett Rickards (Felicity) is related to Ashley Rickards ( Jenna from MTV’s Awkward) ?

Comment by RichieS – May 16, 2013 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seems like oliver is going to go through the Dark Knight Phase. where he loses some one very close to him and he just quits being Arrow for while he is going to be so depressed next season go a full beard just let himself go. he feels responsible for Tommy’s death and its going to haunt him next season.

Comment by JORDAN T. – May 15, 2013 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think he’ll quit. He has to save the Glades now and help them overcome all destruction, and he will blame himself for that and for Tommy’s death.

Comment by brb123 – May 16, 2013 02:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Malcolm didn’t die what is his motive for keeping Ollie’s secret?

Either way I thought it was a fantastic finale.

Comment by Deena – May 15, 2013 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Think back to Malcolm’s reaction when he pulled off the hood?

For reasons I’m not aware of (canon anyone?) he’s got some very mixed emotions about Oliver.

Comment by John – May 16, 2013 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just have to say that, if John Barrowman doesn’t get at least a nomination for an Emmy then it’s a crying shame. He knocked it out of the park and practically stole the show. I certainly hope Malcolm didn’t die, it would be far more dramatic if he didn’t.

I’m sorry to see Tommy die, but it made sense plotwise. I’ll miss him.

Comment by Ray – May 15, 2013 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree about John Barrowman. I’m not much of a fan of the actor who plays Laurel’s father….he’s not that good and kind of irritates me when he’s on screen. Last night it was just made more obvioius next to John Barrowman’s performance. He was fantastic.
      I knew Tommy was a goner when he told Laurel he loved her. I looked at my husband and said “well, he’s going to die.” :)

Comment by Kim R – May 16, 2013 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed Ray! Arrowman is seriously seriously badazz, and should be nominated 4 his well composed performance!

Comment by ejaye – May 19, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a fantastic finale! I actually liked Detective Lance in this episode and when he was calling Laurel I was so sure he was going to die. Then when they stopped the first machine I thought we weren’t going to have an earthquake but nooo the show pretty much promised an earthquake and it delivered.
    I felt bad for Felicity all alone in the lair during the earthquake and when she was sobbing.
    I can’t wait to see what happens to Moira next season she’s one of my favorite characters and Susana Thompson does a wonderful job playing her.
    I’m a little upset we didn’t get to see Roy and Thea at the end but there’s still next season.
    Also as sad as it is that Tommy died at least the show won’t be doing the whole Harry Osbourne thing with him. Hopefully Malcolm will still have an important presence next season.
    One of my favorite shows this season despite its faults and can’t wait for season two!

Comment by jon – May 15, 2013 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow was AMAZING!..geez all the negativity. This series just got finished its first season. Give it some breathing room and let it grow. Its not like every single character needed to be overly developed after 23 episodes. The ending was set up perfectly to launch season 2. Love were Thea and Roy are going btw.

Comment by Jared – May 15, 2013 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i thought malcolm was dead? it looked as if he had his last breath of air before telling oliver that there’s another device… if he is alive, i hope to see where they take him! he has a lot of unfinished business, with moira, tommy, laurel, the law, the city & oliver!!

why didn’t they show what happened to roy? is it meant to be a cliffhanger?

Comment by baglesvswaffles – May 15, 2013 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew that a main character would be killed off in the end, possibly two. Honestly, they promoted THREE people for next season. Someone had to bite the dust.

Comment by JJC (@GizmoAries93) – May 15, 2013 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really upset they killed Tommy. He was one of my favorite characters.

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch – May 15, 2013 10:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was a great finale. That’s how it is done. Thank you to all that made it happen!

Comment by HRG – May 15, 2013 10:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to admit that Tommy’s death surprised me. I was expecting some deaths, but I figured he was safe.

Comment by Melody Paris – May 15, 2013 10:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Epic!!! Best season finale so far this year!

Comment by Eve – May 15, 2013 10:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wanted them to kill Tommy because I didn’t want him to turn evil but now I can’t believe they did it. Poor Tommy!

Comment by brb123 – May 16, 2013 12:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Part of me is really wishing Tommy is not really dead and that he’s gonna end up in the hospital. When Ollie was saying “open your eyes” I was really hoping he would. Seeing him break like that brought a tear to my eye. Well done acting all around. And just as people made #CoulsonLives happen I’d really like to make #TommyLives. I mean they basically had the same wound.

Comment by Michael Beechan – May 16, 2013 01:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whoever voted F has failed this website. That finale was epic.

Comment by Amy – May 16, 2013 02:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Barrowman was all kinds of awesome!
    Best finale of this season without a doubt!!

Comment by Polly – May 16, 2013 03:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still can’t believe Tommy is gone. What a sad finale!

Comment by Mi – May 16, 2013 03:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, that is one hell of a season finale! I thought they were going to kill detective Lance, then Digg got stabbed, then Oliver put an arrow on his chest and finally the big reveal: it’s Tommy who dies. I love when a show is capable to surprise me. Malcom is certainly not dead, would be a shame to get rid of him, Borrowman nailed all the scenes he was in. And the fights? How good were the fights? Dig/Ollie vs Malcolm last 20 sec but just wow. lSeason 2 looks good, very good.

Comment by Azerty – May 16, 2013 03:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry for making a totally unrelated comment, but I must say I have to laugh every time again when I see the poll option for “F”: You have failed this finale! LOL :D
    Other than that, I did not vote for the F! This finale was absolutely superawesome.

Comment by Daniel – May 16, 2013 04:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amell is astonishing. I could watch an hour long show where he just SLEEPS! He’s SOOOO cool! That going inverted and climbing up the chains -WOW!

Comment by docia – May 16, 2013 05:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dude you might want to change the title of this article as not to ruin it for every single person who hasn’t seen Arrow yet. A spoiler in the title, really?

Comment by Angry. – May 16, 2013 05:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They actually do this to all the shows’ recaps.

Comment by C – May 16, 2013 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If the suspension of Det. Lance continues, wouldn’t it be cool if McKenna Hall resurfaced to fill the empty position? Would be interesting to see her and Oliver re-kindle the passion and how that would affect Laurel and Felicity.

Comment by RichieS – May 16, 2013 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d like to see her returning at some point too.

Comment by brb123 – May 18, 2013 04:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post