Downton Abbey Season 4 Premiere Date Set

DowntonAbbey_S3finaleDownton Abbey fans only have to keep a stiff upper lip for a few months longer.

PBS announced on Tuesday that the period drama’s fourth season will debut on Sunday, January 5, 2014.

RELATED | Downton Abbey Season 4 Spoilers — Meet Lady Mary’s New Beau!

The eight-week outing will conclude on February 23 and will feature cast additions Tom Cullen, Dame Harriet Walters, Gary Carr and Nigel Harman as new characters involved with the Crawley family and its servants.

Shirley MacClaine is also on tap to reprise her role as Cora’s mother in the annual Christmas episode.

Are you polishing the silver and clutching your pearls in anticipation? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (30)

• A few more months?

Comment by Jay – May 14, 2013 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 7.5 is not a few months. That’s over half a year.

Comment by Emily – May 14, 2013 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL – January is a lifetime away…thanks for the laugh TV Line crew – a few months, hahahahah

Comment by Aryn – May 14, 2013 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And, it was cruel to use a photo with the now dead Matthew.

Comment by lyn – May 14, 2013 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My response EXACTLY!! ahhh I was hopeful!

Comment by EveatEden – May 14, 2013 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still don’t understand why they don’t air it closer to the UK airing. Don’t they realize they’ll get more viewers as they won’t lose viewers who find other means (i.e. illegal) to watch the show!

Comment by AJ – May 14, 2013 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ya! Like Doctor Who – the UK and rest-of-the-world airings used to be months apart, but now they are the same time. Its weird (and financially dumb) to wait so long.

Comment by mia – May 14, 2013 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • While the wait is annoying, I am not sure if it affects the rating that much. In spite of the delay in airing in the States and the spoilers that could be found all over, DA Season 3 gave PBS some record ratings.

Comment by Azolan – May 14, 2013 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about england? When does it start there?

Comment by Kampa – May 14, 2013 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think September if I’m not mistaken

Comment by Sara – May 14, 2013 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank God for the internet!

Comment by Saulo – May 14, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • UG so long! Season one aired in Canada the same time as it did in England – sucks that we’re now on the US schedule.

Comment by mia – May 14, 2013 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m loving this HAHA. After waiting for a few months to watch US shows, or get it umm other ways, this is our gloat moment

Comment by Sara – May 14, 2013 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha! I totally understand you : D I grew up in Austria where TV shows arrived about 1,5 YEARS (!) after the original airing in the US. Sometimes even longer. And this in a time when nobody even thought about watching TV shows online. ^^ It kinda amuses me to see that this occasionally happens the other way round too. ^^

Comment by S. from E. now – May 14, 2013 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay, I can’t wait. However, I do NOT want to see any more damn spoilers about stuff that hasn’t happened. Spoiler ~ I was PISSED when I saw that O’Brien was leaving the show. She’s a very important character and I would have been much happier NOT knowing that she was leaving…It’s like as soon as it became so popular they posted every damn thing they could find.

Comment by ZZZoey – May 14, 2013 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While I agree about spoilers, Siobhan Finneran leaving the show isn’t exactly a spoiler, it’s just casting news as her departure isn’t mid-season like Matthew or Sybil. It is a shame, though.

Comment by Lo – May 14, 2013 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know what you mean, but to me it is a spoiler….Mostly because she is such a horrible person/character, and I would have liked to see what happens to her without knowing she will be gone! If it were someone who was less interesting I don’t think I would have cared! Oh well….

Comment by zigzagzoey – May 14, 2013 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well thanks for the spoiler. Hadn’t heard that yet. Kudos to you for doing to others what you’ve annoyingly had done to you.

Comment by tripoli – May 15, 2013 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The UK has to wait ages to get American shows in some cases. Now its your turn to be patient.

Comment by Author – May 14, 2013 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who cares? They killed off the best characters last season. They should have ended it after Season 2.

Comment by Sam – May 14, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here are my thoughts about Matthew (and Sybil) leaving the show to pursue other avenues. When the news came out (especially on Matthew and his resulting death) people either took one of two viewpoints, which were 1: the actor should be free to leave and work on other projects if he wishes, and 2: the actor should have stayed and committed more time to the show.

I agree with both sides, no one should be beholden to stay at a job they are wanting to move on from (aside from contractual obligations), on the other hand, and here is my problem with these things when they happen. We watch TV (and movies, read novels, etc) to be immersed in a compelling story (which Downton has), when an actor decides to leave a show, the story has now been altered from the creators vision and we arent getting the story he was originally inspired to craft. Matthew wasn’t supposed to die, and now the story has been forever changed due to the actors decision to leave…which frankly just plain sucks.

Comment by Jason – May 14, 2013 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Lorena – May 14, 2013 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone know when it comes out in UK?
    I’m guessing September or October.

Comment by Alex Matias (@DarthClavie) – May 14, 2013 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t you download it? I’m not in the UK or the US so I don’t really know the law.

Comment by Pepper – May 14, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree. The career decisions of actors should not determine storylines. The roles of Sybil and Matthew should have been recast.

Comment by Sam – May 15, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ‘Downton Abbey’ — PBS Sets Season 4 Premiere Date – TVLine [url=http://www.htg-china.com/bbs/boke.asp?earthmoon2.showtopic.3303.html]earthmoon2-earthmoon2–频道–文章[/url%5

Comment by earthmoon2-earthmoon2--频道--文章 – May 16, 2013 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sad to have to wait so long cause there is nothing much worth watching on TV–I also wish Matthew didn’t have to die off and so sad to finally have a baby w/Mary and not continue that story.
    Comment by Sharon

Comment by Sharon – May 19, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I purchased DVDs of all three seasons and have been watching and rewatching the episodes with great interest. One thing that bothers me are the credits for the cast, Hard to tell who plays whom, and for that mater who played Patrick Crowley the wounded soldier in season 2 with bandages on his face? His voice sounded very familiar, but I couldn’t put a name to him. Does anybody know the actor is?

Comment by Mike – May 21, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post