Dancing With the Stars Week 9 Results: Did the Right Couple Go Home?

ALEXANDRA RAISMAN, MARK BALLASThroughout Season 16 of Dancing With the Stars, the final moments of each Tuesday-night results show seemed to be as predictable as a Len Goodman hissy fit. Like clockwork, the flat-footed celeb who most deserved to be banished from the ballroom that week – Wynonna Judd, Lisa Vanderpump, D.L. Hughley and Sean Lowe, to name a few – was predictably sent packing.

(As if reading my mind, ABC announced today that beginning this fall, results will be merged into Monday night’s 2-hour telecast, which should help pack some much-needed punch – and drama – into Season 17.)

RELATED | ABC Fall Schedule Revealed: S.H.I.E.L.D. Targets Tuesday, Once Spin-Off Lands on Thursday, DWTS Downsized, Suburgatory MIA

Nonetheless, it seemed time to fasten our semifinals seat belts, because a relatively sleepy competition thus far could only mean the odds of DWTS having a very bumpy – or perhaps even shock-filled – night were extremely high going into tonight’s Week 9 live results show.

At least one of the three fabulous female faves who’ve been dazzling us all season were due for a headline-generating fall, right? Zendaya’s not-so-quickstep last night (scoring a dismal 25) opened that door, while Jacoby Jones’ predatory Argentine tango (but did it really warrant a 30?) put him atop the leaderboard alongside Aly Raisman, both one point shy of a perfect night. But hold the phones, could Ingo Rademacher’s ability to rock a sexy vest (if not a samba) help him sneak into the finals?

RELATED | 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

As these questions hung in the air, the soon-to-be extinct Tuesday night filler – such as tonight’s musical performances by The Wanted, Avril Lavigne, and behind-the-scenes clips, encore dance, etc. – found a special place in my heart (OK, not really).

But without further ado, here’s the real moment of truth — tonight’s results:

FINAL TWO COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Zendaya Coleman and Valentin Chmerkovskiy
Ingo Rademacher and Kym Johnson

ELIMINATED
Ingo Rademacher and Kym Johnson

“This has been an amazing experience, because I thought I was going to be done after like two weeks,” said a gracious Rademacher, before throwing Kym some love for choreographing some very Ingo-friendly routines during the season. “She catered them to my two left feet,” he laughed, “and it got us this far.”

And with that, it’s your turn. Which couple should have really gone home tonight? Or was it truly Ingo’s time? Which couple is your pick to take home the Mirrorball trophy? Are you weeping crocodile tears for the demise of Tuesday night results shows next season? Sound off in the comments!

1. suzi says:

Zendaya should have went home

2. Tim says:

Ah, i was hoping for a shocker, no such luck, but clearly the 4 best are left, i thought 2 were being eliminated tonight, would have been more exciting

3. Nick says:

Zendaya FTW!

Then Pickler.

Those should be the last two standing.

4. Angela says:

So far I’ve been pretty okay with how the eliminations have been going. We’re getting down to the best of the best.
    I’m definitely intrigued by the idea of them just leaving the entire “Dancing” show to one night only. I think in some ways that’s not a bad idea, since most results shows are just nothing but filler anyway, so it’ll be nice to have it all done and settled in one day. Though I am wondering how easy it will be to do the dances and give results all in the same night-but with technology being what it is nowadays, they’ll figure something out.

• chistosa says:

SYTYCD did it last season. I actually like the results shows. It provides the opportunity for all the pros to dance. I enjoyed watching Louis and Cheryl last night and it was good to see Dmitry back last night. And the Macy’s stars of dance are most often very good. I will miss that.

• Angela says:

This is true. They do feature some entertaining routines sometimes, you’re right. Hopefully they’ll find a way to still incorporate those from time to time.

5. JON says:

Zendaya Coleman and Valentin Chmerkovskiy
    Ingo Rademacher and Kym Johnson

WTF are these people? I couldn’t tell which ones were the dancers and which ones were the “stars”.

6. Tim says:

great idea to get rid of Tuesdays, its nothing but filler at this point, prefer Monday night drama, live voting, etc., this show has become way too predictable

• Shroom says:

I don’t think it’s going to be live voting and results right away. That would leave the West Coast out of the whole process. I think they are just going to reveal at the beginning of the show who’s leaving based on the previous week’s votes. It seems kind of harsh, because that team would have rehearsed the whole week for their routine only to be told buh-buh-buh-bye

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Is that really how it’s going to go? That does seem harsh. I just can’t figure out how they’re going to manage this with the West Coast delay though. I don’t know what time this shows airs in EST, but I assume I’m over in the MST watching it simultaneously as it’s on at 7 my time. Does that mean it’s starting at 9 EST or am I getting it delayed? But there is no way it airs before 8 PM on the West Coast as that’s when their primetime starts, which means they’re starting the show just as I’ve finished it. I can’t figure out how they’re going to make this work without having a revolt from the West Coast, or making some poor eliminated couple rehearse for an entire week without needing to. It doesn’t seem like it’s going to be fair.

7. paula says:

The right couple went home, yeah. I’m hoping for a Kellie win, but Zendaya is my second choice. Kellie has been the biggest surprise for me this season.

I wonder how they’re going to work stuff next season, with the eliminations taking place right away?

8. Tim says:

Kellie is the most likeable and sincere, i think… so get it done, girl!

9. Sara says:

Gonna be voting my butt off for Zendaya. I love Kellie but man Zendaya is just….phenomenal.

10. Rissa says:

If there was ever a good week to be in the bottom, the week before the finale is it. Zendaya’s fans will panic and vote like crazy. That’s probably what Kellie’s fans did this week.

11. Mac F says:

A Zendaya and Kellie final two. definitely.
    Especially after Kellie’s Argentine Tango, unless she stumbles next week, I vote for her for the win. Coming in with zero dancing experience, I’ve been surprised almost every week and often thrilled.

• Kayla says:

I also think she is great, but she did do chearleading and she has Derek as a partner. Thats why shes so good. I dont think those are the only reasons why though.

12. Adam says:

I’m probably in the minority but i like the results show. i like the Macy’s stars of dance, and the musical guests, getting to see the pro’s dance without the celebs, and getting to see performers like Christina Grimmie and Lindsey Stirling. as well as dancers like the 10 year old tonight, the blind dancer, and the Camden Sophisticated Sisters. Without the results show it seems unlikely they will have time for any of those things now.

• H.Houston says:

I agree with you. I found some amazing new music to listen to by watching on Tuesday nights. I will miss it.

13. sasksleddog says:

You see the Tuesday shows as filler. I see them as the only variety show left on broadcst TV. I like them and will miss them for as long as they’re gone – which I predict won’t be that long.

14. H.Houston says:

I too wonder how they are going to run the results if they are smooshing it all into one night. I have a feeling they are going to utilize the first week as an actual voting to vote off week… then week two take someone off in the first 10 minutes – then everyone dance. Then at the beginning of the show of week three again take someone off then do the week three dances. It will make it a little harder I think because like another said everyone will have to practice all week long for a dance that they may never actually perform because of being eliminated like that. I will miss the Tuesday nights. Yes, some of them were filler but I was able to see some amazing talent whether it was a new singer (to me) or some amazing dancers (like the little girl last night) — I know ABC picked up a TON of new shows for the fall, but it makes me sad that they would sacrifice part of their BIGGEST ratings show to do it. (And don’t get me started on what they cancelled).

15. Am I the only one who kinda hates the fact that there’s four couples in the finale? I kept waiting for the double elimination all season and it never came. It’s just kinda too crowded.

• Nancy says:

I don’t like having four couples in the finals either, the votes will be too spread out. I would have liked a half hour result show next season instead of just the one night. Just like the Pussycat Doll, Zendaya is a ringer, her experience is not fair to the other contestants. The fun of the show was seeing the contestants progress, not seeing a good dancer to start with dance.

• H.Houston says:

Zen comes from a hip-hop background. You cannot compare you to others who have joined the cast with HUGE dance experience for a number of reasons. She is 16, which means her dance experience is a few years. Others like the PCD member, Brandy, Rycroft, many of Derek and Mark’s partners… all have oodles of years of dance training. Adding to that Kellie Pickler has dance experience as well. So please don’t sit there and cast stones at the youngest dancer the show has ever had and use the “she has experience” argument – many times it falls flat… but in this instance even flatter.

16. KELLIE PICKLER HAS DANCE EXPERIENCE says:

For the record, all of you knocking Zendaya for her dance experience while lauding Kellie just be aware that by her own admission KELLIE HAS DANCE EXPERIENCE so please stop acting as though she stepped on the DWTS dance floor as some type of novice because she doesn’t. Zendaya is still leagues able her as she has been wildly overscored (along with Aly) for the majority of her season. Her jive, cha cha, salsa, flamenco: all overscored.

• H.Houston says:

I agree Kellie has been overscored. I was blinking in confusion that week that Zendaya was docked points for her chin being down while Kellie was praised for dancing while she was tired… seriously? What about Jennifer Grey dancing with her back broken, or Maria with the 7 stress fractures in her foot… or any of the other dancers who have come on and had serious injuries and stayed because they fell in love with the dancing.

17. Kim R says:

I’m hoping for a win for Kellie. :)

18. dee says:

I think Zendaya and Kellie both have too much of an advantage over the others. I agree with the person who said it is nice to see someone progress. Someone who can dance to start with should not be there.

• bsd616xd says:

I don’t know much about Kellie so I can’t talk about her, but Zendaya doesn’t have much of a background in ballroom dancing. She has only experienced Hip-Hop which only helped her with her second dance this week. The fact that she is so young too doesn’t give her a lot of dancing experience total compared to most of the others.

19. hillchics says:

How has no one at TVLine ever realized that Michael Slezak is the credited author for all of these weekly articles?!? On my phone, it says Mitch’s name but when I click on the article it always changes to Slezak! Just tryin’ to give credit where it’s due!!

20. Olivia S says:

With no Tuesday show, what will become of DanceCenter with Kenny Mayne?!?

21. ann nuzzi says:

So glad Danacia went home. She did not engage her mouth with her brain sometimes. And also did not like her atitdude. She say things about Val that would be so, hurtful. But Val is a gentleman and he has to be. And you could tell she hated Candance. And now she probably hates her more. But my votes are with Amy and Derek. You see I am a double amputee and cried uncontrollably the first night she danced. YOU GO AMY AND DEREK.