TVLine Items: Y&R Boss on Kay Chancellor's Future, Live Sound of Music Airdate and More

Young and the Restless Kay Chancellor FateIn the wake of Jeanne Cooper‘s death, The Young and the Restless boss Jill Farren Phelps has revealed the fate of the daytime TV icon’s beloved character Katherine Chancellor.

“We will deal with the death of Kay Chancellor” following the previously announced May 28 tribute to Cooper, Phelps shares with TV Guide Magazine. “We’ve already written the show into July, so it will take some time before we can address her departure on air. In the meantime, there will be references in the script that Katherine and her husband Murphy are off somewhere on a trip.”

RELATED | The Young and the Restless’ Jeanne Cooper Dead at 84

The exec producer adds that Y&R‘s Powers That Be have “not yet decided how Kay’s life will actually end, but we are talking a bit already about what she will leave in her wake. It will be something that will leave the memory of Kay Chancellor deeply imbedded in everyone in Genoa City.”

Cooper, who starred on the CBS soap for nearly 40 years, passed away on May 8 after a battle with an undisclosed illness.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• NBC’s three-hour live staging of The Sound of Music will air Thursday, Dec. 5. From Smash/Chicago producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, the production stars Idol champ-turned-country-music star Carrie Underwood as leading lady Maria von Trapp.

RELATED | Fall TV Schedule 2013 — What’s On When? And Against What?

• Dimitri Marick is returning to Pine Valley. Michael Nader announced Monday that he’ll reprise his fan-fave role on the now-online soap All My Children beginning June 3. Dimitri is reportedly lured back to town to head a new division of Chandler Enterprises.

• Michelle Ryan (Bionic Woman) has landed a recurring role in the upcoming fourth season of Covert Affairs, which launches July 16. Per TVGuide.com, the actress joins as a new agent with a dark past.

• CBS announced Monday that the 56th annual Grammys are slated to air Jan. 26, 2014, with the 57th honors bowing Feb. 8, 2015.

• Oxygen has given the green light to Pastors Of L.A., a docu-series centering on six pastors in Southern California.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. IMHO says:

Carrie Underwood in Sound of Music? Nope, wrong in so many ways. I’ll rewatch the movie instead.

2. Rob says:

Because nothing says Nazis, nuns, and an Austrian family singing troupe quite like Carrie Underwood.

3. Jackie says:

Lmao hilarious ↑

4. StupidPeopleShutUp says:

Maybe she’ll be GOOD, huh? Lots of people have been wonderful Marias post-Julie Andrews, you know. Maybe Carrie Underwood can act. Maybe she’s been studying. Maybe hold off on your snotty bitchery until there is actual evidence it’s actually warranted. I know this is how you make yourself feel good and everything, passing judgement anonymously from the safety of home, but you’re tiresome and a coward, to boot.

• TheStupidPersonWhoWontShutUp says:

But maybe, just maybe, hiring a country singer to play the part as opposed to a talented broadway actress, is a HUGE mistake. Maybe. Have I said maybe?

• Mo says:

This! Just this!! Julie Andrews is so iconic that she is in a class by herself. No one is saying Carrie Underwood isn’t talented, but to fill those shoes? I just don’t see it. Maybe that makes me a snotty coward, but maybe – just maybe – it’s equally cowardly for StupidPeople to call out people he/she doesn’t even know (all for having opinion, mind you) to defend the honor of someone else they, presumably, don’t know? Maybe that’s just as cowardly and snotty to call strangers stupid. Just sayin!

5. Et al. says:

In this version, Captain Von Trapp is Maria’s 1st cousin.

6. EJ says:

John Schneider would be great as Capt. Von Trapp. He’s quite a bit older than Underwood but he has a youthful quality, too. I could see the girl who plays Marley in Glee as Liesl. And Christian Borle would make a GREAT Max. This has the same producers as Smash so I’d guess him being cast is a distinct possibility.

7. MelindaB says:

I’m willing to give Carrie Underwood a chance, but I would have loved to see Idina Menzel in the role.

8. Chris says:

Well, it was pretty obvious that the role of Kay would not be recast. The only question was whether she would remain alive off-camera or die. Most of the time, soaps have characters played by deceased veteran actors also pass away. I expect that Y&R will present a nice tribute to Cooper, and I will definitely tune in for it.

As for Michael Nader coming back to AMC, I always liked him.

9. Tess says:

I’m looking forward to seeing Michael Nader back on AMC – I’m all for them bringing back old characters and the actors that are best known for playing them; it makes the new version feel more like the old show I loved. I’ve read that Susan Lucci will be meeting with the Prospect Park people in the near future, so perhaps Erica will arrive back in Pine Valley just in time to reunite with him? I always liked them together more than her and Jackson anyway.

As for Carrie Underwood as Maria Von Trapp? Strange casting, imo. You would think they would’ve wanted to consider someone with known acting ability considering it will air live.

10. Goodbyenoway says:

Maria is in her early 20s. Idina Menzel is in her 40s. Are you serious? Bad choice.

11. Michelle Reynolds says:

Thank you Y&R for not replacing the icon that is Mrs. C. I cried when I saw that Jeanne Cooper died. She was such a part of the show and it will be different not to have her wit.

12. Jj says:

Carrie Underwood is going to butcher the part of Maria. She doesn’t have anywhere near the range to sing that part. Watch her sing most of it transposed so far down that it will sound like an alto part.

13. keishawn says:

i sorry to hear that about her and i know her furnel will be packed and she died out of nowhere and i know yall did everthing yall could to help r.i.p cathrine

14. katrin says:

I miss u a lot Mrs c rip I won’t for get u

15. katrin says:

God bless u I thank of all time on young restless rip

16. This text ‘The Young and the Restless’ Spoilers — Kay Chancellor’s Death – TVLine is invaluable. How can I find out more?

17. Сan you tell us more about this? I’d like to
    find out more details.

18. Lydia says:

I am actually grateful to the owner of this website who has shared this fantastic paragraph at at this time.

19. Heya i’m for the first time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it helped me
    out much. I hope to give something back and aid others like
    you helped me.