How I Met Your Mother Recap: The Mother Is Revealed (and Watch the Fateful Scene Again)

How I Met Your Mother Mother RevealedWarning: The following recap contains major spoilers from Monday’s season finale of How I Met Your Mother. Read on at your own risk!

A day after Mother’s Day — and not a day too soon — How I Met Your Mother gave viewers the best present ever: a real glimpse of the titular mom (who appears to be played by Cristin Milioti from the Broadway musical Once)!

RELATED | HIMYM: Who Is Cristin Milioti? Get the 411 on the Show’s New Star

The big reveal comes on the heels of Ted announcing to Lily that he’s finished renovating his house “just like Ryan Gosling in The Notebook” – and he promptly plans to sell it and move to Chicago! After failing to find love in New York, the eternal bachelor has decided that maybe The One is in Chi-Town. So the day after Robin and Barney’s wedding, he plans to catch a train back to the city and leave his old life and friends behind.

Lily tries to convince him he will have a family in that house – until she realizes the real reason he’s leaving: It’s because the love of his life is in NYC, and she will soon be married to his best friend.

Ted insists that he wants Robin and Barney to have an amazing life together, but it might be better if he weren’t around for it. Lily asks if something happened between him and his ex recently, and he insists nothing did.

RELATED | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to All That’s New for 2013-14

How I Met Your Mother Mother Revealed Cristin Milioti“Where’s the poop, Ted?” she continues, bringing back one of my favorite catchphrases. So Ted tells her about the rainy moment in the park, which leads Lil to reveal that Robin’s “something old” locket has been in a pencil box on Ted’s desk all this time. Right before he was supposed to marry Stella, a heartbroken and Japan-bound Robin got drunk and dug it up since she wasn’t ever going to marry Ted, and that’s where Lily hid it. Now, Ted has the perfect wedding gift for Robin, but Lily still warns him to be careful. Meanwhile, just as the bachelor is getting ready to give up on sex love and the city, the bass guitar-carrying mom is buying a train ticket to Farhampton!

Elsewhere in the episode, Barney and Robin’s night out is ruined by an annoying couple (Happy Endings‘ Casey Wilson and Mad TV‘s Keegan-Michael Key). They decide to “make those smug obnoxious sons of bitches pay” and try to break them up. In the end, they actually end up helping the strangers get engaged and, oddly enough, prove to themselves why they’re so twistedly perfect for each other.

RELATED | HIMYM: 6 Potential Mom Theories Debunked

Lily spends much of the episode dealing with Ted’s relationship drama, but it looks like she may have some of her own soon. On the cusp of their move to Rome, Marshall gets offered his dream job, a judgeship, and doesn’t tell Lily about it.

HIMYM fans, what did you think of the long-awaited moment? Was your heart pounding during those final seconds? Do you like that the show didn’t go for a super recognizable face (but still one that could pass for David Henrie and Lyndsy Fonseca’s mom)? And what are your theories for next season’s premiere? Will Ted meet the mom then?

Loading video...

1. cailey says:

Yeay!!!!!

• Sg. Grant says:

We live chat and discuss every new episode of HIMYM. General consensus is OH MY GOD. Lots of happiness. Some people say it was a bit legen… wait for it…. let down. Legenletdown. I’ll put a link in my name.

• raven says:

All the build up all the excitement. And now all I can say is. PHHHHHHTTTTT!!!! so very disappointed! All the wonderful girlfriends..and Robin and the mom .. she did not impress.. Wish they could turn back time and bring back the magic of Robin and Ted.

• monkeyboy says:

Why do I feel like no one else gets gets it???

• Philipp says:

Right? They haven’t even seen them interact yet. Milioti is a great actress, very energetic and totally fresh. I think it’s a great choice to cast someone who is so different from everyone else that’s been on the show. I think the final season will be really great!

• Mikael says:

This is why I’m glad the show isn’t (apparently) going to end the moment Ted meets her. People claim that’s how it SHOULD end because they take the show’s title WAY TOO LITERALLY. But look, we saw her face and people aren’t impressed. Why? Because we need to see she & Ted together! We need to see their chemistry. Just seeing her face would never have been enough after 9 years of watching. And the show was getting really stale. This is a perfect oppportunity to go out on a high note. Switch things up and show us a non-pathetic, non-pining-for-Robin Ted for once!!

• Jessica says:

Im glad the series didnt end with the moment he met her, especially after the last 2 episodes where he still seems hopelessly in love with Robin. Hopefully now we’ll get a season for them to meet, fall in love, and we can see how great she is.

• Tina B. says:

Agreed, I love Robin and Ted

• davej13 says:

This show has turned into “friends” for me in that they too are dragging out a romance storyline 4 years too long. Thank god for my DVR so I can speed through the crappy parts.

The thing I most care about now is the slap bet. I hope Marshall slaps Barney at the alter or at the wedding reception. What about right after he says “I do”?

• T says:

couldn’t agree more

• Ed Kyle says:

Is she really “The Mother”, or just A girl with a yellow umbrella?

• Ed Kyle says:

I do look forward to seeing Cristin Milioti next season. She’s terrific, talented, compelling, and has a big career ahead of her.

2. strachpa says:

I thought it was a lack luster season finale. At least we finally got to see the mother.

• Ari says:

I was unsure through the episode if this was the season finale or not! The gang wasn’t even together! Was everyone in the same scene ever? They all paired off and barely interacted with one another!

• B says:

With them all seemingly about to go their separate ways, I think that was the point

• april-ann says:

Except for Ted and Lily. Were we expected to see sexual chemistry there after none at all for eight years? Were we to think Ted was attracted to Lily all these years more than he was attracted to Robin? Was it a precursor? Yes Lily, you will be able to borrow her boots. And everything else because you two look exactly alike, except you are slightly more attractive. Creepy. Just creepy.

• Guy says:

LOLWUT????

• Zepdawg says:

I googled Cristin (or is that CriRston?) after the episode ended. The google images IMMEDIATELY made me think of Lily. Cute girl. Look forward to next season and hope we don’t get let down as they tie up all the loose ends.

• Lilla says:

Me too. She looks like Lily, but not so attractive, i think. I don’t like her at all. It’s not a surprise Ted tells the story of how he met the kids’ mother through the relationship between Robin and him, as Robin is much more awesome then the Mother… Maybe he still loves Robin in 2030 LOL!!! I’m glad for Barney and Robin!!!<3

• Philipp says:

@Lilla: How do you know Cristin Milioti isn’t awesome? You haven’t seen them interact! She’s a good actress. Watch the 30 Rock episode “TGS Hates Women”.

• JB Smooove says:

heh heh heh, i see what you did there.

• Eric_K says:

ppl talk about not seeing her interacting with ted, have you even been watchin the show?we been told so many times he falls in love with her at first sight!!!! she should be sumthg – well should have been something special for him to fall in love at first sight after all the heartbreak , all those gorgeous women he dated and all he’s been through

• Ella says:

Dude what are you talking about? Did you watch the show with the volume muted? There is not supposed to be any chemistry between Lily and Ted.

• Jelly says:

Google Cristin milioti. When you come across the picture of her in the jeans shirt you get it. It’s kind of creepy.

• Zeppo says:

I don’t know about creepy, but Milioti does look like a crossover between Alyson Hannigan and Alyssa Milano.

• May says:

I didn’t really understand it. Weren’t Barney and Robin supposed to get married during the May sweeps? Does it count if it was implied? Didn’t like it at all, and I wasn’t all too happy with the fact that they went for someone without a “super recognizable” face. I think if they went for a known face, it would be better. Then again, we’ll have to wait and see.

• Zach says:

I agree they made it seem like they were to get married during the Season Finale.

• Philipp says:

That was their point. Since Ted is seeing the woman for the first time they wanted her to be “new” for most of the viewers as well.

• Ella says:

I think going with an unknown face was wise. If they used someone we all knew, it would be hard to picture them as Ted’s wife. It would be like “Ted’s dating Buffy?” or “Ted wants to marry Felicity?1?”

3. Lisa says:

I had never seen or heard of her but i already like her! all i can say is FINALLYYYY… great finale

4. alim says:

dunno what to think, its been 8 years, am speechless

5. Laura says:

Still in shock….

6. colleennicole says:

I love her!! she’s so great!

7. STEPHEN says:

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I YELLED FROM THE EXCITEMENT

8. Brenna says:

Finally the mother!!! But I thought we were going to see Barney and Robin get married? I was bummed about that

• taran63 says:

That’s what we were promised all year. So much for their promises.

• B says:

The plot description has been on TV Line for a few weeks. It was pretty clear that we wouldn’t see a wedding.

• taran63 says:

Yes, but until then, from last season’s finale on, we were told “no swerves or tricks” we would see Barney and Robin get married this season.

• c-mo says:

Me too! AndI think “the mother” and Tedd will look really good together so next season at least will have that going for it.

• Sha says:

The last two seasons have begin and ended with a wedding, so I’m assuming their going to show us Barney and Robin’s actual wedding as the premiere and hopefully Ted’s wedding in the series finale.

9. alim says:

although i have to agree luckluster episode

10. Margie says:

are you kidding? I LOVE Cristin Milloti! I was so psyched to see her at the end of the season finale!!!

11. Sarah says:

Can’t believe it finally happened!!!!! (Sort of… WE met the mother, can’t wait to see TED meet her!)

12. Ryan says:

First!

13. Christine says:

That better be the mom and not some trick.

• april-ann says:

That better not be the mom and I hope it’s just a trick.

• Cee says:

Buzzfeed is confirming that CBS yes yup, that’s the mother.

After last week, I’m glad they didn’t go for the whole Ted/Robin thing again. It’s done, folks. She flat out told him she doesn’t love him the way he loved her. How would THAT be a good marriage?

• april-ann says:

That’s fine. I knew the minute I saw her that was the mother. After Ted and Lily spending the episode together I knew. And people are mistaken about my posts. I think Robin is just beautiful and I think that the mother should have had to hold her own against Robin lookswise. She had to be something special and she’s not. But I hated Ted and Robin as a couple and knew that they never worked. I never wanted them together let alone married. Terrible couple, both wanted different things from the start. But as for me? Well I wanted a “wow” moment with Ted and the mother. This was not it. She’s less attractive than even Lily, she looks like Lily, creepy. She’s not a “wow” anything, and I wanted to see her for the first time when Ted did. This is not only anti-climactic, it just feels wrong. But that’s a good thing, because I’ve watched rarely this season and now I know I don’t need to watch next season or any reruns.

• Clarice says:

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder and I think she’s beautiful. She’s beautiful b/c:

1. The kids look like her
            2. She looks like a cross b/w Lily n Robin
            3. She already has things in common with Ted
            4. She looks like a Real
            5. Ted’s been waiting and we’ve been waiting and we’re glad to finally meet her.

This girl is refreshing, real, and the reason many have continued to watch this show. All these things make her beautiful. Now, let’s have a name!

Clarice, beautifully happy with the reveal. :-D

• april-ann says:

Nope, none of that Clarice!! I just saw it again and she’s a cross between Tori and Giuliana. Not a pretty sight. All we need now is a little LeAnn – oops, wait for it, we’re getting it because she sings – yikes! Not what I watched and waited eight years for. Don’t care what her name is. I’m out.

• Cee says:

I don’t think we’ve had the “wow” moment yet–that will come when Ted finally meets her. We know that it’s going to be huge, Ted being the sentimental romantic that he is. Sure us getting to finally see her is one thing, the REAL wow will come when Ted meets her.

• Beatrice Benedick says:

April Ann- I think to focus so explicitly on her looks shows a lack of understanding about what real love is. Speaking from experience, I dated lots of conventionally “hot” guys, but the guy I ended up with isn’t as conventionally attractive, but couldn’t be more beautiful to me if he tried. He makes me laugh, we share values, we have chemistry. That’s what the basis of a true lifetime partnership is. So if this girl had just been “hot”, what would that mean other than Ted was immediately turned on? Plus, I find it refreshing that she’s not super model pretty, and yet is an INCREDIBLY gifted actress and musician. Hollywood is saturated with “hot girls”- I’m glad they gave us someone who looks real, and who has real talent! I think it will make her much more fun for us to watch next season, and I can’t wait to see how she and everyone interact.

• Valery S says:

The kids look like robin more than they look like her….

• monkeyboy says:

I couldn’t agree more!!!

14. Brandon says:

I was jumping for joy!!!

15. Liz says:

she kind of looks like a mix of Lily and Robin :)

16. Ever says:

Not too many people will know who Cristin Milioti if they aren’t familiar with Once. Luckily, I got to see her! She is perfect for the Mother.

• emergedthegirl says:

Is that who it is? I only saw her for the brief moment at the end of the episode, and couldn’t quite take her in. I’m gonna look at a good photo of her now. Thanks!

17. Marc M says:

Perfect finale … left me wanting MORE!

18. Noggster says:

I was not expecting that! Although I imagined her differently.

19. april-ann says:

Didn’t see her for long but my first impression was meh, cute but nothing special.

20. cal says:

She looks like Lily…

21. Jen says:

Seeing the mother was the only redeeming part of the episode, otherwise it was a terrible season finale. It felt like it was supposed to be an hour long and they just stopped halfway through.

• april-ann says:

I agree. All through the episode all I could think was that this was just filler, and even worse filler than most episodes all this season were.

• Sarah says:

Yeah I kept checking the guide to see if it was supposed to be an hour.

• Lauren says:

I seriously thought the same thing. I had led myself to believe it was an hour. I was surprised when after seeing the mother, and thinking it was going to commercial break and coming back. I suddenly heard Howard and Bernadette and was like “what the what?”

22. Casey says:

Is that really how the series ends!?!

23. Barbara Darlin says:

Lily’s doppelgänger.

• april-ann says:

Yes, she is. Creepy.

• tripoli says:

It’s a bit creepy how many times you’ve rudely commented on her physical appearance and how much you don’t like it. Grow up and find something constructive to say. Sure, she isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but that’s no reason to continually reduce the appeal of the actress to her looks, which you’ve done multiple times, in more than one post about the reveal.

24. Matt says:

Now that is how you end your penultimate season. I was honestly starting to think we wouldn’t see her until the last episode.

25. R. H. says:

Just watch, she will be a red herring. The entire band will have yellow umbrellas and she will be the main or supporting guitarist not the bassist.

26. Sheila says:

Hmm, not what I was expecting at all. So much for my psychic powers!

27. CJS says:

I honestly can’t believe that they actually just did that. I was convinced for 25 minutes that all we were getting were legs & yellow umbrella yet again. Never have I been more glad to be wrong. Well played Carter & Craig. Kudos to you both.
    I just hope that now they stick with Cristin Milioti as the mother & that she becomes part of the cast in some capacity next season.

28. F.R. says:

Cristin Milioti is credited in this episode as ‘The Girl with the Yellow Umbrella’

29. lariet50 says:

Ooo! Love her! I hope they show her singing next season! Now I just want to know what the big who-ha is about next season’s changed structure. TVLine, can you hook a sista up?!

• Christian says:

Seems like a 24 episode season where each covers one hour of the wedding day.. Culminating w the train station where they meet.

• lariet50 says:

Yeah, I’ve heard that possibility mentioned. Not sure what to think about it. It would seem to deprive us of a lot.

• Jorge Vega says:

If it starts right from where it left, there should be 56 hours before the wedding, plus 10 more between the reception and Ted actually being on that train station.

30. Melanie says:

I think she looked a lot like the character who Ted bumper into on St. Patrick’s Day at the club. Maybe not the same actress, but they look similar so it will be interesting if the flashback to moments and add her into them as when she met/saw Ted!

• april-ann says:

And if he did see her then, she obviously made quite an impression on him (not) for him to leave to go running after beautiful Robin. Who could blame him?

• Jessica says:

he doesn’t run after robin in the st patty’s day episode…. he stays, gets wasted, and makes out with a married woman and gets punched in the face.

• sadie says:

I don’t understand why every post you make is about the mother vs. Robin. Robin is beautiful. The mother is also beautiful. And I’m sure she has plenty of wonderful characteristics besides, even if you personally don’t like the way she looks. Can you get over it now and stop making petty girl vs girl comments?

• S says:

Melanie- I have been saying that exact theory for YEARS! I hope we are both rite!!

31. Anne says:

I am wondering if this is a rewrite of the original finale they would have shown had the show not been picked up for one more season. That being said, happy to see the Mother and agree with the poster who said they hoped it wasn’t a trick…..come on September!

32. FM says:

Finally, it’s official after 8 seasons. The mother is Cristin Milioti.

33. dangelo says:

so wait was she on the show before or not? stopped watching the show last season because it has been going downhill.

34. Christine says:

Even though I’m really excited about the Mother and she seems great, I really hope they don’t turn the next season into 24: The Wedding Day as it’s been speculated. That idea sounds lame to me.

• lariet50 says:

You know, I only just saw that hypothesis today. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

• Lauren says:

I hope that is not the case, but that seems like it could be a possibility. Why else would they show the part about how many hours until the wedding? That would be a horrible way to end the show.

• Sarah says:

I was wondering if they’d do that, especially since they set up such huge obstacles amongst all the relationships.

• Mely says:

I think she is going to meet Ted early in the season, and the whole season is going to be the train ride where she gives background info of all the places where they’ve almost met, and that’s how they bond. Just a theory, but it’d be better than the 24 idea of one hour of the wedding day per episode.

I agree with the above commenter who said he/she kept checking online to see if it was going to be an hour episode. I felt like they just stopped halfway through, also.

• Jessica says:

I feel like they could do it for a couple of episodes, especially with that kind of lead up with the 56 hours. But I don’t think anyone would think it’s a great idea to stretch it out 24 episodes.
      if they were to prolong the meeting to the very end… it would be to go back and tell more about the past. Like Ted would be about to meet the mom and then Bob Sagat says something like, “oh yeah, in order for you to understand this part, i need to tell you a whole season’s worth of stories before I reveal my actual meeting your mother”

35. PP says:

Great choice. !! was afraid for awhile since i figured last episode was wedding.

36. I was like really? are they showing her face!, I thought we would see her at the wedding. I think this is it, unless they are planning one more twist and make someone else the mother but I think this time is for real and i didn’t see it coming, she looks quite good for Ted i guess.

37. Toia says:

This was a meh end to a meh season. I am tired of hearing about Robin & Barney’s wedding I really hoped that would have gotten wrapped up by now. Having the mother revealed is find but we didn’t get to meet her so there’s no way to make a judgement. Like I said meh.

38. Mike says:

I’m happy with the choice, looks like someone who would be with Ted, and looks like he could have been in the economics class.

39. Amanda From Michigan says:

Is it still going to be true that she was in Ted’s class he was teaching? Maybe she knows him but he doesn’t know her.

40. Sarah says:

Does anyone else notice how she looks like a mix of robin and Lilly?

41. Nel says:

Utterly disappointed the mom isn’t played by jewel staite

42. youdontknowme says:

Lame. They couldn’t find anyone better?

43. Bill says:

Do Barney and Robin get married? Is the girl at the train station an old friend of Barney? Does the Lockett bring Robin and Ted together? Things that make me say Hmmmm!

• Sarah says:

I’m hoping Ted will give the locket to Barney to give to Robin. They really need to wrap that whole Robin/Ted thing, since they said from Episode 1 that Robin is not the mom.

44. april-ann says:

I was hoping we’d see her for the first time when Ted does…

45. KelliP says:

I think she looks like a total combination of Lily and Jennifer Love Hewitt! I freaked out when it showed her, I was totally prepared to be teased once again!

46. Joe says:

I went to High School with The Mother.

47. Ann says:

I’m not convinced it’s the mother. In the end credits, she’s referred to girl with yellow umbrella. This could be a red herring.

• Amelia says:

Go to CBS.com and get the confirmation yourself…

• Jessica says:

In credits for any film/show you always credit them either as their character’s name or relationship (her name wasn’t revealed in this episode, and she wasn’t actually called “the mother” in the episode either) Therefore, by the laws of credits in general, all they can say is girl with the yellow umbrella.
      Notice, however she is credited as “Girl with the Yellow Umbrella” (a known fact that the mother owned one) and not as “Girl at Train Station” or whatever.
      Also, Cristin Milioti is an up and coming actress. She was featured in an episode of 30 Rock, and she was in the new hit musical Once. She’s not too famous that it’d feel like the name was overpowering the character’s significance, but she’s famous enough to not be a random extra.

48. J says:

Perfect casting. Nice balance of “unknown” and “known”.

49. mike says:

So i just want to know how will any woman ever get out of Robin’s shadow because Ted’s swooned over her for 8 seasons + and any woman he ends up that’s not her will always be second best.

• april-ann says:

Don’t know the answer to that but do know that someone who looks exactly like Lily sure won’t. I guess Ted’s “settling” since he can’t have Robin.

• lariet50 says:

You know, that’s really what they’ve set this up to be. They’re going to have to do some hardcore juggling to get out from under that next season. They should never have gone back to the whole Ted-Robin dynamic. I thought we were done with that in “The Final Page”.

• Sarah says:

Agreed. He’ll have to have some sort of mind and heart wipe for viewers to believe the love of his life is anyone other than Robin; they’ve revisited that so many times.

• april-ann says:

Yes, especially since this episode showed he’s still pining for Robin. And to think the love of his life turned out to be someone less attractive than even Lily? Someone who looks so much like Lily that it could be creepy? I just don’t buy it. I mean, I know that looks aren’t everything but after eight years I have to admit that I longed for a “wow” moment. And included in that moment was us seeing the Mom when Ted did, and for the Mom to be able to hold her own against Robin. I’m disappointed.

• Jellymoff says:

Why do you say “Less Attractive Than Even Lilly”? Alyson Hannigan is beautiful!

• Matt says:

I agree. Ted and Robin don’t work as anything but friends. If the writers try to pull a bait and switch, then I’m finished with the show. No Friends BS please. That show sucked. HIMYM is legendary when the show follows its own path. Barney is a better fit for Robin.
          I hope they don’t do 24 next season as well. Instead, the writers should have Ted meet the mother and change the name to how I married your mother.

• Jessica says:

This comment reminds me of what everybody was thinking at the end of Friends. “Why do they keep going back to the Ross-Rachel thing?” blah blah blah. I mean, the shows are comparable. HIMYM is the new Friends. (there better not be a spin off of Ted starting a family with the mother…remember how ‘Joey’ tanked? sigh…)
          I’m not saying that i think that Ted and Robin will end up together just like Ross and Rachel… but it’s something to think about for sure.
          The most interesting theory that has intrigued me is that Ted and Robin do end up together, but they got a surrogate mother, a close friend. Now it does sound like quite a stretch for someone that really wants Ted and Robin together. But look at other things on TV these days. It’s the new millenium. Surrogate mothers, gay couples getting married and having children. It’s the new normal. More and more people can relate to being adopted or having a biological dad that’s not the dad that raised them. It’s a thought.
          and tonights episode supports that theory more than Ted living happily ever after with a random girl that we get to know in 1 season.

However, it’d be pretty heartbreaking if Barney ended up alone. The only options that would make enough sense and give us closure is if he marries Robin, or if he lives the rest of his life having sex with random girls. And I really don’t think they want to leave Barney as shallow as his character started.

• Jessica says:

Then again, the kids wouldn’t call her ‘Aunt Robin’ in that scenario.
            That theory is down the drain.

Plus, this show does seem to be about keeping the classic fairytale ending as a possibility in this day and age.

• Ryan says:

Why would the premise of this show…the HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER part work if Ted was just “settling”? Why bother with this story…who will appreciate that kind of ending. If you believe he is “settling” then I suggest not watching the final season.

• JEs says:

Considering how much future Ted has raved about the mother, that obviously isn’t true.

• Jessica says:

I feel the same way. Victoria had a point. Robin was a huge part of his life and he is still pining over her even 3 days before he is supposed to meet the mom. Am i supposed to believe that in 1 season, all of that will go away because he found “the one”?
      AND she accepts Robin into their lives so much that the kids refer to her as Aunt Robin?
      Well i suppose it is different if Robin is married… There’s less of a threat that Ted and Robin will have a thing…

• valeen says:

I’m excited we finally got to see the mother! Who cares if she isn’t drop-dead gorgeous. And why would she be? Ted’s not exactly a model either, so it makes sense his wife would be girl next door cute in the same vein that Ted is boy next door cute. I can’t wait for next season and to see his first meeting with her, and hopefully Barney & Robin’s wedding and maybe even Ted’s in the series finale.