Glee: 25 Best Musical Performances of Season 4

Glee‘s out for summer, but (thankfully) the music of Season 4’s 22-episode run will be with us forever.

To hold on to that fee-ee-ee-ling a little bit longer, TVLine has taken the liberty of counting down the 25 Best Musical Performances from the fourth season of Fox’s addictive high-school musical – from Rachel’s NYADA Winter Showcase to a couple of gut-wrenching breakup ditties.

RELATED | Fox’s Top Exec on Glee‘s Season 5 ‘Twist’

So click through the gallery below for the full ranking, then hit the comments to tell us where we got it right, what we got wrong and which of your favorite song-and-dance numbers got egregiously snubbed!

RELATED | Glee Season 4 Finale: Is Heather Morris Leaving the Show?

And for all the Glee Season 5 news and spoilers your heart could possibly desire, do follow us on Twitter @TVLine.

1. Jacob P. says:

My life is empty without Idology ):

2. Amy says:

What’s sad is that I’d forgotten about half those performances since there weren’t 25 really memorable songs this year. I think the top of the list is pretty good though I’d change the position on a few of them.

• T says:

True, no standout performances for me.
      Usually there are a few from each season that I watched over and over but this year not so much.
      Glee wasn’t so good this season.

• Thereasonsy says:

Preach it. There weren’t enough to make this list and the order is a little wonky but then again when you are trying to fill out 25 slots and you only have 6 performances then you do what you can.

3. robinto says:

best performance of the year was Jake singing Let Me Love You – by far!

• Kevin says:

No. Just no.

• Ruby says:

I loved that performance.

• triquetap4@hotmail.com says:

Best Jake solo yes! Best moment clearly not!

• Steve says:

Considering Jake’s rendition of Let Me Love You was the Glee’s best-selling song this season, I’d say robinto’s argument is CLEARLY stronger. :)

No excuse not for it to be on the list. Same with Blaine’s acoustic version of Teenage Dream, and ND’s This Is The New Year and/or Some Nights performances. All-and-all, this is a really disappointing list.

• Mareesa says:

Totally agree. Great song by Jacob Artist. It should’ve been on the list. Along with Rachel and Brody singing “Give Your Heart A Break”. All Kurt songs should be removed.

4. Kevin says:

Blaine’s Against All Odds was easily the best in my eyes followed by Rachel’s To Love You More.

5. N says:

“The Scientist” was UNREAL. Best Glee performance ever.

6. TORN by Rachel is not here? I think it’s one of the best. Lea Michelle having a duet with herself? with all the harmony and all? Perfect.

7. noa says:

ugh, i hated At The Ballet. and it’s one of my all time favorite songs. listen to the revival version. so much better. it was also just so forced into the episode. but that’s true for 80% of all Glee numbers.

• wordsmith says:

I was about to say the same thing. I love Glee and I love A Chorus Line, but the show’s staging of ‘At the Ballet’ was a disaster. It started fine, but then they cut out a verse and had two singers in the lineup with no real reason to be there. It was half of a good idea, and they didn’t bother to make the other half make sense.

8. Margaret says:

Really no ‘Teenage Dream’ acoustic?

9. anonymus says:

No Jessica Sanchez?

10. Katy says:

Higher Ground and Being Alive were so much better than your number one

11. Eric says:

Teenage Dream, It’s TIme-Blaine
    Americano/Dance Again- Cassandra July
    Call Me Maybe- Blaine, Mercedes, etc.
    Chasing Pavements- Marley, etc.

• Aria says:

“Teenage Dream” and “Americano/Dance Again” are the two performances I definitely re-watched a few times. Most of the others were forgettable.

• Amber says:

Way to be as racist as this show. Unique was in Call Me Maybe not Mercedes.

12. guest says:

what!! where’s lets have a kiki?! it’s my jam.

13. I would have included Love Song, It’s Time, Teenage Dream, You’re The One That I Want, Let Me Love You, Mamma Mia, and Say over a few of these choices, but I agree on most.

14. Snaps says:

Being Good Isn’t Good Enough is a perfect, perfect performance. I had chills.

15. Stacy says:

I thought they ruined both songs with Homeward Bound/Home. I love both of those songs but their slowed down versions were awful. The Scientist was easily my favorite of the season and Mine should be higher on the list as well.

16. iamjsm says:

My favorite was the reprisal of Teenage Dream. Loved that he was singing it live and you could feel the pain. Gave me goosebumps!

• PopCultureMngr says:

Darren Criss is a real breakout star of the show.

• Dizzy says:

I disagree.

• wordsmith says:

Notice PCM said “A breakout star” not THE breakout star. I don’t think anybody can argue that Darren has broken out as a star thanks to Glee.
          For the record, though, I’m pretty sure that Lea Michele is THE breakout star of the show

• JJ says:

Um, no, that is Chris Colfer, and it has been since season 1, episode 4. Darren just has the loudest fans most active on social media.

• Joan says:

Exactly. People who don’t watch the show recognize Lea, Chris, Cory, and Jane. No one outside the fandom knows who Darren Criss is. Even my DVR doesn’t allow you to search for him by name although I like to think it just refuses to list him under “actors”.

• step aside Darren says:

Lea and Chris are true breakouts. Getting on 100 most influence Times list and manynominations.

17. Paula says:

I really love Everybody talks… but I guess since Kitty was singing its not remember

18. Sophie2317 says:

Pretty good list although I would definitely have included Some Nights. I thought that was one of the best performances this season.

• Thea says:

Absolutely this!!! Group performances with the entirety of ND is what really made the show for me in season one (KHO being my all-time fave), so I love the few they did this year. Some Nights is my favorite of Season 4, and pretty high on my list for the series. New Year and Anything Can Happen were fantastic too!

19. bamabunny says:

A LOT missing…”Let Me Love You,” “Some Nights,” “This Is The New Year,” “Mamma Mia”.

20. JP says:

How wasn’t “Let Me Love You” by Jake included in this list?! That just immediately discredits this whole thing. Also, Mine and the Scientist were rated wayyy too low.

21. Sally says:

I would put Mercedes solo “Higher Ground” should be way higher on the chart. Also, Rachel’s solo: O Holy Night higher than 5. I think “Torn” should be on that list, too, how could it not be on that list? Also, what about Finn and Puck’s duet: You Gotta Fight For Your Right to Party?
    I do agree with the first and second place.

22. SS says:

Can’t believe you didn’t include “Teenage Dream” from The Break Up. There wouldn’t have been an “Against All Odds” if it hadn’t gotten the reception it got.

• Hmm says:

Neither of those songs are very good. I think Darren’s strength is auto tune.

• Daniel says:

And yet no one else in the cast has sung a full solo without the aid of autotune on the show :) Maybe they need it more than he does. (I don’t actually believe that, but anyone trying to say Teenage Dream and Against All Odds weren’t incredibly good and benefited from the pure raw emotion of live performances is obviously an idiot Darren hater)

23. Sally says:

Also “To Love You More” I loved Rachel singing that?????

24. vicwilliam says:

girl on fire should be higher on the list…and so should the scientist!no ‘give ur heart a break’ and ‘some nights”!what happened to “let me love you”the revival of don’ stop believing couldnt have beaten some of the other songs!

25. cinematt01 says:

Annnnd TVLine continues its Blaine/Darren hate. Ridiculous that Teenage Dream (acoustic) and It’s Time were ignored. Seriously with At the Ballet? That was excruciating to sit through.
    So lame, TVLine.

• omar says:

hahaha this is the funniest comment ever!

• A says:

I agree with It’s Time. It’s one of my favorites, but I didn’t enjoy the acoustic Teenage Dream at all..

• Hmm says:

For real, I wish there was Blaine/Darren hate in the Media, but there isn’t. He’s actually really over used and pimped. Much like Chord this season. I miss season 2.

• step aside Darren says:

Or they know that Darren is way over rated. At the ballet was visibly more appealing than anything Darren did this season.

• Joan says:

So not putting every Blaine song ever on this list suddenly means it was compiled by “haters”. Grow up!

26. Lois says:

Definitely some good choices here. But The Scientist should really be no. 1 and This Is The New Year, Let Me Love You, It’s Time and Teenage Dream (Acoustic) were all great too. And personally, I really really loved Rachel’s rendition of Torn.

27. silpen says:

no teenage dream acoustic, seriously?

• Hmm says:

Okay, I get this song was suppose to be emotional, but I will never understand how someone can like a song that is completely off key, he didn’t even hit half the notes. Why on earth should it be on this list?

28. Luu says:

WHERE IS DON’T SPEAK? WHERE?

29. Jamie says:

Almost every song (about 95%) on the top 25 is sung by one or more of the original cast members (from seasons 1 and 2). That should tell you something! You can’t beat the original cast… They are phenomenal and what the show will always be about!

• JJ says:

I totally agree. The original season one cast members are the people who made Glee what it is. The overuse of certain castmembers and the influx of unoriginal new characters has brought the show down.

• wordsmith says:

I see your point, but the “original” cast still outnumber the new characters at least three to one, so the math isn’t quite so unexpected. It’s worth noting though, that more than half of the top 25 are Rachel and/or Kurt numbers…

30. I think this list is completely wrong. First off Are they Judging Performances or Songs because there is a big differences. Judging by the list they compiled they must be talking about songs because half of them lack any performance at all. Also no “Some Night” or anything from Grease? This list was poorly done

• June B says:

“Greased Lightning” is on the list. This comment was poorly done

• Ha says:

“Lack any performance”? They preformed a song, therefore it was a performance……. I’m sorry if there was nothing sparkly or shiny for you to look at while they sang.

31. Ronnie says:

It’s Time. Americano/Dance Again. Chasing Pavements. Let me Love You. Home/Homeward Bound and At the Ballet do not belong on this list as they were very underwhelming. The Scientist was the best number as it not only fit perfectly into the storyline, but was beautifully performed by all the cast.

32. Karol Lyon says:

Nutbush city limits, by Miss Santana Lopez

33. Tom says:

Nutbush City Limits not on the list is a travesty.

34. A says:

This list is definitely a bit off IMO.
    All That Jazz, Love Song, It’s Time, Hopelessly Devoted To You, even Clarity. Those should be on the list.
    At The Ballet? Really?

• Hmm says:

Except At The Ballet was beautiful.

• A says:

Meh. It ran too long for me. It was nice but for it to take up like 5 minutes of the show was way too much. It just dragged on and on. They should’ve put in a shortened version and included the long version in the deleted scenes on the DVD

• Diz says:

It was long, but so are many Broadway songs, I agree they should have shortened it for the Glee audience. We have a short attention span and get bored easily. Sometimes we can’t appreciate beautiful art.

• Scott says:

Way too long for me too.

I liked My Prerogative though. What do I know :)

35. Fannie says:

JESSICA SANCHEZ BELONGS AT #! and #2 SPOT. no question whatsoever.

36. Nicole says:

You missed “Anything could happen” “some nights” “born to hand jive” “wannabe” and “tell him” The choreography was great in that tell him number

37. Wayne T says:

People seem to forget, the list is someone’s opinion. Stop getting so angry and outraged. Sure, there were songs I preferred, but I enjoyed reading someone else’s opinion,

38. Piper says:

I was hoping for Next to Me. I really liked that one.

39. Brittni says:

Am I the only one who loved Don’t Speak from the Breakup?

40. Timmah says:

lol @ Greased Lightning being on the list. That was horrible.

41. vanessa says:

noooo!! you left out “let’s have a kiki/turkey lurkey time”!!! i love that one. oh well…

42. Timmah says:

At least you’ve got Don’t Dream It’s Over on there. Highlight of the season for me.

43. dude says:

“Girl on Fire” is my number one. Also on my list (but were left off) are Dance Again/Americano, 3, Opps I Did It Again, Don’t Speak, Teenage Dream, Let Me Love You, Never Say Never, A Thousand Years, Diamonds Are a Girl’s Best Friend, All That Jazz, Some Nights and Look At Me I’m Sandra Dee.

• Thea says:

Holy moly, COMPLETELY forgot about 3. I replayed it so much the week after it aired, but that feels like forever ago..

44. Yayy says:

Haha. It’s so funny considering how little lea sang this season compared to blarren. Yet. Her performance is still considered the best, and half of this list featured her singing. Yayy lea/rachel! and originals (not include darren & chord!) > noobs.

45. Ross says:

When I look back at Season 1-3, there are a couple of songs that is widely considered iconic Glee songs from each season. This year, the closest would be “The Scientist” and even that couldn’t be considered iconic but sentimental only because of it’s ties to the long standing relationships on the show. I guess “Don’t Stop Believin” can be added to that list, only because of its nostalgic value, although that has been depreciated by the number of times that this show has covered it. Overall, this year has been a slacker.

• Pam says:

I think what was lacking this season is no character on the Lima side really had “a moment” where they expressed themselves perfectly through song. Rachel for me will always be Don’t Rain on my Parade and Blaine is forever associated with Teenage Dream. Kurt gave us Rose’s turn, Santana broke my heart with Songbird, etc. This season I think Kurt, and Santana each had a mini-moment with the NYADA audition and Girl on Fire, but that’s kind of it. I guess you could count Marley’s chasing pavements but the thing I most remember about that number is the Kurt/Rachel running hug in New York so that’s not really a vote of confidence.

46. Para says:

What about that diva song?
    And
    This is the new year
    Loved it!

47. Chris says:

Let’s Have a Kiki was AWESOME….It’s the only song from this song I played over and over!

48. Lindsey says:

Ummm how is Don’t Speak and Hopelessly Devoted not there??? So many disagreements with this list!

• Pam says:

Between the stalker scrapbook and the facial gymnastics, Hopelessly Devoted was a travesty and doesn’t deserve a spot on this list

49. zanie says:

And what about Footloose ? Or Shout ? Wkae me up before you go-go ? Danger Zone/Old Time Rock and Roll ? I can’t stop listening to these…

• ick says:

wow all those you mentioned were kind of bad. Shout was horrible.

• triquetap4@hotmail.com says:

And it was sung by Blain even tough a 500th performance should have gone to Tina, Artie and Brittany that are the only 3 left of the original 12 New Directions!

50. Ferdinando says:

Come on this season’s version of teenage dreamed should have been on the top ten at least!!!