Glee: 25 Best Musical Performances of Season 4

Get More: Glee, Lists, Photo Gallery

Glee‘s out for summer, but (thankfully) the music of Season 4′s 22-episode run will be with us forever.

To hold on to that fee-ee-ee-ling a little bit longer, TVLine has taken the liberty of counting down the 25 Best Musical Performances from the fourth season of Fox’s addictive high-school musical – from Rachel’s NYADA Winter Showcase to a couple of gut-wrenching breakup ditties.

RELATED | Fox’s Top Exec on Glee‘s Season 5 ‘Twist’

So click through the gallery below for the full ranking, then hit the comments to tell us where we got it right, what we got wrong and which of your favorite song-and-dance numbers got egregiously snubbed!

RELATED | Glee Season 4 Finale: Is Heather Morris Leaving the Show?

And for all the Glee Season 5 news and spoilers your heart could possibly desire, do follow us on Twitter @TVLine.

Tags: ,

Comments (141)

• My life is empty without Idology ):

Comment by Jacob P. – May 13, 2013 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s sad is that I’d forgotten about half those performances since there weren’t 25 really memorable songs this year. I think the top of the list is pretty good though I’d change the position on a few of them.

Comment by Amy – May 13, 2013 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True, no standout performances for me.
      Usually there are a few from each season that I watched over and over but this year not so much.
      Glee wasn’t so good this season.

Comment by T – May 13, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Preach it. There weren’t enough to make this list and the order is a little wonky but then again when you are trying to fill out 25 slots and you only have 6 performances then you do what you can.

Comment by Thereasonsy – May 13, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • best performance of the year was Jake singing Let Me Love You – by far!

Comment by robinto – May 13, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No. Just no.

Comment by Kevin – May 13, 2013 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved that performance.

Comment by Ruby – May 13, 2013 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      Best Jake solo yes! Best moment clearly not!

Comment by triquetap4@hotmail.com – May 13, 2013 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Considering Jake’s rendition of Let Me Love You was the Glee’s best-selling song this season, I’d say robinto’s argument is CLEARLY stronger. :)

No excuse not for it to be on the list. Same with Blaine’s acoustic version of Teenage Dream, and ND’s This Is The New Year and/or Some Nights performances. All-and-all, this is a really disappointing list.

Comment by Steve – May 19, 2013 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree. Great song by Jacob Artist. It should’ve been on the list. Along with Rachel and Brody singing “Give Your Heart A Break”. All Kurt songs should be removed.

Comment by Mareesa – May 17, 2013 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Blaine’s Against All Odds was easily the best in my eyes followed by Rachel’s To Love You More.

Comment by Kevin – May 13, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree! Blaine’s song blew me away.

Comment by zekat – May 13, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Now if only it had blown Blaine right off the show…

Comment by Everyone with taste – May 14, 2013 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “The Scientist” was UNREAL. Best Glee performance ever.

Comment by N – May 13, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TORN by Rachel is not here? I think it’s one of the best. Lea Michelle having a duet with herself? with all the harmony and all? Perfect.

Comment by Mark Almighty – May 13, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • certainly needs to be added to the list.

Comment by ture – May 13, 2013 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not the best but should be on the list.

Comment by Sela – May 15, 2013 04:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ugh, i hated At The Ballet. and it’s one of my all time favorite songs. listen to the revival version. so much better. it was also just so forced into the episode. but that’s true for 80% of all Glee numbers.

Comment by noa – May 13, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was about to say the same thing. I love Glee and I love A Chorus Line, but the show’s staging of ‘At the Ballet’ was a disaster. It started fine, but then they cut out a verse and had two singers in the lineup with no real reason to be there. It was half of a good idea, and they didn’t bother to make the other half make sense.

Comment by wordsmith – May 13, 2013 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I almost slept into that performance it was too long

Comment by AuntSnix – May 14, 2013 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love Chorus Line but this is my least fav of the show. Glee’s take was good but not memorable to be on the list.

Comment by Sela – May 15, 2013 04:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really no ‘Teenage Dream’ acoustic?

Comment by Margaret – May 13, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This, minus the uncontrollable weeping.

Comment by Aria – May 13, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, because it’s a list of BEST performances.

Comment by Courtney – May 13, 2013 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Jessica Sanchez?

Comment by anonymus – May 13, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Higher Ground and Being Alive were so much better than your number one

Comment by Katy – May 13, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • not really I was disappointed in Higher ground and Bring him home was Kurt’s better song.

Comment by get – May 13, 2013 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Teenage Dream, It’s TIme-Blaine
    Americano/Dance Again- Cassandra July
    Call Me Maybe- Blaine, Mercedes, etc.
    Chasing Pavements- Marley, etc.

Comment by Eric – May 13, 2013 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Teenage Dream” and “Americano/Dance Again” are the two performances I definitely re-watched a few times. Most of the others were forgettable.

Comment by Aria – May 13, 2013 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Way to be as racist as this show. Unique was in Call Me Maybe not Mercedes.

Comment by Amber – May 14, 2013 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what!! where’s lets have a kiki?! it’s my jam.

Comment by guest – May 13, 2013 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • absolutely – and mashed up with Turkey Lurkey time – brilliant!

Comment by robinto – May 13, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Expected this to be in the top 5

Comment by PopCultureMngr – May 13, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t know. I suppose they get points for enthusiasm and outside-the-box thinking, but I thought this one was pretty cringe-worthy.

Comment by wordsmith – May 13, 2013 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I re-watched this performance more than any other one this season – so much fun. Ridiculous, Absurd, Over-the-Top, but AWESOME

Comment by Tony – May 14, 2013 03:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would have included Love Song, It’s Time, Teenage Dream, You’re The One That I Want, Let Me Love You, Mamma Mia, and Say over a few of these choices, but I agree on most.

Comment by Logan Krum Movie Reviews – May 13, 2013 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Being Good Isn’t Good Enough is a perfect, perfect performance. I had chills.

Comment by Snaps – May 13, 2013 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought they ruined both songs with Homeward Bound/Home. I love both of those songs but their slowed down versions were awful. The Scientist was easily my favorite of the season and Mine should be higher on the list as well.

Comment by Stacy – May 13, 2013 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorite was the reprisal of Teenage Dream. Loved that he was singing it live and you could feel the pain. Gave me goosebumps!

Comment by iamjsm – May 13, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Darren Criss is a real breakout star of the show.

Comment by PopCultureMngr – May 13, 2013 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I disagree.

Comment by Dizzy – May 13, 2013 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Notice PCM said “A breakout star” not THE breakout star. I don’t think anybody can argue that Darren has broken out as a star thanks to Glee.
          For the record, though, I’m pretty sure that Lea Michele is THE breakout star of the show

Comment by wordsmith – May 13, 2013 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Um, no, that is Chris Colfer, and it has been since season 1, episode 4. Darren just has the loudest fans most active on social media.

Comment by JJ – May 13, 2013 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Exactly. People who don’t watch the show recognize Lea, Chris, Cory, and Jane. No one outside the fandom knows who Darren Criss is. Even my DVR doesn’t allow you to search for him by name although I like to think it just refuses to list him under “actors”.

Comment by Joan – May 14, 2013 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lea and Chris are true breakouts. Getting on 100 most influence Times list and manynominations.

Comment by step aside Darren – May 13, 2013 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really love Everybody talks… but I guess since Kitty was singing its not remember

Comment by Paula – May 13, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was awesome! Definitely in my TOP5 this season :).

Comment by SylwekG – May 13, 2013 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pretty good list although I would definitely have included Some Nights. I thought that was one of the best performances this season.

Comment by Sophie2317 – May 13, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely this!!! Group performances with the entirety of ND is what really made the show for me in season one (KHO being my all-time fave), so I love the few they did this year. Some Nights is my favorite of Season 4, and pretty high on my list for the series. New Year and Anything Can Happen were fantastic too!

Comment by Thea – May 16, 2013 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A LOT missing…”Let Me Love You,” “Some Nights,” “This Is The New Year,” “Mamma Mia”.

Comment by bamabunny – May 13, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How wasn’t “Let Me Love You” by Jake included in this list?! That just immediately discredits this whole thing. Also, Mine and the Scientist were rated wayyy too low.

Comment by JP – May 13, 2013 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would put Mercedes solo “Higher Ground” should be way higher on the chart. Also, Rachel’s solo: O Holy Night higher than 5. I think “Torn” should be on that list, too, how could it not be on that list? Also, what about Finn and Puck’s duet: You Gotta Fight For Your Right to Party?
    I do agree with the first and second place.

Comment by Sally – May 13, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t believe you didn’t include “Teenage Dream” from The Break Up. There wouldn’t have been an “Against All Odds” if it hadn’t gotten the reception it got.

Comment by SS – May 13, 2013 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Neither of those songs are very good. I think Darren’s strength is auto tune.

Comment by Hmm – May 13, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And yet no one else in the cast has sung a full solo without the aid of autotune on the show :) Maybe they need it more than he does. (I don’t actually believe that, but anyone trying to say Teenage Dream and Against All Odds weren’t incredibly good and benefited from the pure raw emotion of live performances is obviously an idiot Darren hater)

Comment by Daniel – May 27, 2013 01:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also “To Love You More” I loved Rachel singing that?????

Comment by Sally – May 13, 2013 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • girl on fire should be higher on the list…and so should the scientist!no ‘give ur heart a break’ and ‘some nights”!what happened to “let me love you”the revival of don’ stop believing couldnt have beaten some of the other songs!

Comment by vicwilliam – May 13, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Annnnd TVLine continues its Blaine/Darren hate. Ridiculous that Teenage Dream (acoustic) and It’s Time were ignored. Seriously with At the Ballet? That was excruciating to sit through.
    So lame, TVLine.

Comment by cinematt01 – May 13, 2013 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hahaha this is the funniest comment ever!

Comment by omar – May 13, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with It’s Time. It’s one of my favorites, but I didn’t enjoy the acoustic Teenage Dream at all..

Comment by A – May 13, 2013 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For real, I wish there was Blaine/Darren hate in the Media, but there isn’t. He’s actually really over used and pimped. Much like Chord this season. I miss season 2.

Comment by Hmm – May 13, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or they know that Darren is way over rated. At the ballet was visibly more appealing than anything Darren did this season.

Comment by step aside Darren – May 13, 2013 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So not putting every Blaine song ever on this list suddenly means it was compiled by “haters”. Grow up!

Comment by Joan – May 14, 2013 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely some good choices here. But The Scientist should really be no. 1 and This Is The New Year, Let Me Love You, It’s Time and Teenage Dream (Acoustic) were all great too. And personally, I really really loved Rachel’s rendition of Torn.

Comment by Lois – May 13, 2013 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no teenage dream acoustic, seriously?

Comment by silpen – May 13, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Okay, I get this song was suppose to be emotional, but I will never understand how someone can like a song that is completely off key, he didn’t even hit half the notes. Why on earth should it be on this list?

Comment by Hmm – May 13, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly! So much weeping. It was difficult to sit through. I liked it better the way he sung it the first time.

Comment by A – May 13, 2013 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHERE IS DON’T SPEAK? WHERE?

Comment by Luu – May 13, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS

Comment by Jess – May 13, 2013 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Again, I feel the need to remind people this is a list of the BEST performances. Why would Don’t Speak be on it?

Comment by Hmm – May 13, 2013 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Almost every song (about 95%) on the top 25 is sung by one or more of the original cast members (from seasons 1 and 2). That should tell you something! You can’t beat the original cast… They are phenomenal and what the show will always be about!

Comment by Jamie – May 13, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree. The original season one cast members are the people who made Glee what it is. The overuse of certain castmembers and the influx of unoriginal new characters has brought the show down.

Comment by JJ – May 13, 2013 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I see your point, but the “original” cast still outnumber the new characters at least three to one, so the math isn’t quite so unexpected. It’s worth noting though, that more than half of the top 25 are Rachel and/or Kurt numbers…

Comment by wordsmith – May 13, 2013 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this list is completely wrong. First off Are they Judging Performances or Songs because there is a big differences. Judging by the list they compiled they must be talking about songs because half of them lack any performance at all. Also no “Some Night” or anything from Grease? This list was poorly done

Comment by Eric Quintern (@KingofClickr) – May 13, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Greased Lightning” is on the list. This comment was poorly done

Comment by June B – May 13, 2013 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Lack any performance”? They preformed a song, therefore it was a performance……. I’m sorry if there was nothing sparkly or shiny for you to look at while they sang.

Comment by Ha – May 13, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s Time. Americano/Dance Again. Chasing Pavements. Let me Love You. Home/Homeward Bound and At the Ballet do not belong on this list as they were very underwhelming. The Scientist was the best number as it not only fit perfectly into the storyline, but was beautifully performed by all the cast.

Comment by Ronnie – May 13, 2013 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nutbush city limits, by Miss Santana Lopez

Comment by Karol Lyon – May 13, 2013 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nutbush City Limits not on the list is a travesty.

Comment by Tom – May 13, 2013 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This list is definitely a bit off IMO.
    All That Jazz, Love Song, It’s Time, Hopelessly Devoted To You, even Clarity. Those should be on the list.
    At The Ballet? Really?

Comment by A – May 13, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Except At The Ballet was beautiful.

Comment by Hmm – May 13, 2013 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Meh. It ran too long for me. It was nice but for it to take up like 5 minutes of the show was way too much. It just dragged on and on. They should’ve put in a shortened version and included the long version in the deleted scenes on the DVD

Comment by A – May 13, 2013 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It was long, but so are many Broadway songs, I agree they should have shortened it for the Glee audience. We have a short attention span and get bored easily. Sometimes we can’t appreciate beautiful art.

Comment by Diz – May 13, 2013 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Way too long for me too.

I liked My Prerogative though. What do I know :)

Comment by Scott – May 13, 2013 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JESSICA SANCHEZ BELONGS AT #! and #2 SPOT. no question whatsoever.

Comment by Fannie – May 13, 2013 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Clarity was just perfection!

Comment by A – May 13, 2013 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You missed “Anything could happen” “some nights” “born to hand jive” “wannabe” and “tell him” The choreography was great in that tell him number

Comment by Nicole – May 13, 2013 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I already forgot she was on.

Comment by meh – May 13, 2013 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People seem to forget, the list is someone’s opinion. Stop getting so angry and outraged. Sure, there were songs I preferred, but I enjoyed reading someone else’s opinion,

Comment by Wayne T – May 13, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping for Next to Me. I really liked that one.

Comment by Piper – May 13, 2013 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one who loved Don’t Speak from the Breakup?

Comment by Brittni – May 13, 2013 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by The truth – May 14, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, I loved it too.. Seems like we’re the only one

Comment by Iris – May 29, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lol @ Greased Lightning being on the list. That was horrible.

Comment by Timmah – May 13, 2013 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • noooo!! you left out “let’s have a kiki/turkey lurkey time”!!! i love that one. oh well…

Comment by vanessa – May 13, 2013 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At least you’ve got Don’t Dream It’s Over on there. Highlight of the season for me.

Comment by Timmah – May 13, 2013 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Girl on Fire” is my number one. Also on my list (but were left off) are Dance Again/Americano, 3, Opps I Did It Again, Don’t Speak, Teenage Dream, Let Me Love You, Never Say Never, A Thousand Years, Diamonds Are a Girl’s Best Friend, All That Jazz, Some Nights and Look At Me I’m Sandra Dee.

Comment by dude – May 13, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Holy moly, COMPLETELY forgot about 3. I replayed it so much the week after it aired, but that feels like forever ago..

Comment by Thea – May 16, 2013 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haha. It’s so funny considering how little lea sang this season compared to blarren. Yet. Her performance is still considered the best, and half of this list featured her singing. Yayy lea/rachel! and originals (not include darren & chord!) > noobs.

Comment by Yayy – May 13, 2013 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well she is a much better singer. even Darren knows he is way limited. To bad Ryan doesn”t.

Comment by truth – May 13, 2013 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When I look back at Season 1-3, there are a couple of songs that is widely considered iconic Glee songs from each season. This year, the closest would be “The Scientist” and even that couldn’t be considered iconic but sentimental only because of it’s ties to the long standing relationships on the show. I guess “Don’t Stop Believin” can be added to that list, only because of its nostalgic value, although that has been depreciated by the number of times that this show has covered it. Overall, this year has been a slacker.

Comment by Ross – May 13, 2013 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think what was lacking this season is no character on the Lima side really had “a moment” where they expressed themselves perfectly through song. Rachel for me will always be Don’t Rain on my Parade and Blaine is forever associated with Teenage Dream. Kurt gave us Rose’s turn, Santana broke my heart with Songbird, etc. This season I think Kurt, and Santana each had a mini-moment with the NYADA audition and Girl on Fire, but that’s kind of it. I guess you could count Marley’s chasing pavements but the thing I most remember about that number is the Kurt/Rachel running hug in New York so that’s not really a vote of confidence.

Comment by Pam – May 14, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about that diva song?
    And
    This is the new year
    Loved it!

Comment by Para – May 13, 2013 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s Have a Kiki was AWESOME….It’s the only song from this song I played over and over!

Comment by Chris – May 13, 2013 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ummm how is Don’t Speak and Hopelessly Devoted not there??? So many disagreements with this list!

Comment by Lindsey – May 13, 2013 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Between the stalker scrapbook and the facial gymnastics, Hopelessly Devoted was a travesty and doesn’t deserve a spot on this list

Comment by Pam – May 14, 2013 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And what about Footloose ? Or Shout ? Wkae me up before you go-go ? Danger Zone/Old Time Rock and Roll ? I can’t stop listening to these…

Comment by zanie – May 13, 2013 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • wow all those you mentioned were kind of bad. Shout was horrible.

Comment by ick – May 13, 2013 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And it was sung by Blain even tough a 500th performance should have gone to Tina, Artie and Brittany that are the only 3 left of the original 12 New Directions!

Comment by triquetap4@hotmail.com – May 13, 2013 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on this season’s version of teenage dreamed should have been on the top ten at least!!!

Comment by Ferdinando – May 13, 2013 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • only if it’s a list of the top ten performances enjoyed by the deaf and blind.

Comment by Amber – May 14, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post