Who's That Girl? Introducing How I Met Your Mother's Long-Awaited, Titular Mom

Get More: Casting News

Cristin Milioti How I Met Your Mother Now that How I Met Your Mother finally made good and showed us the mother, who the heck is she?

Allow us to introduce Cristin Milioti, an actress familiar to New York theatergoers as the breakout star of the musical Once.

RELATEDHow I Met Your Mother Recap: The Mother Is Revealed (and Watch the Fateful Scene Again)

Milioti nabbed a Tony nomination for playing Girl in the hit production, which is based on the 2006 film; she left the show in March. Press PLAY on the video below to hear her (and Once co-star Steve Kazee) sing “Falling Slowly” from the musical.

If you haven’t been to a Broadway show lately, you might recognize the actress from her work on The Sopranos (where she played Johnny Sack’s skinny daughter Catherine), Nurse Jackie (where she played a Cristin Milioticrackhead), and 30 Rock (where she played “sexy baby” comedienne Abby Flynn).

Milioti will soon be seen on the big screen in Martin Scorsese’s The Wolf of Wall Street, alongside Leonardo DiCaprio, Kyle Chandler and Mathew McConaughey.

Did you recognize Milioti when you first saw her as Ted’s future honey? What do you think about the casting? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (111)

• Yes, I instantly recognized her! She was amazing in Once and I can’t wait to see more of her next season!!

Comment by erinlikestv – May 13, 2013 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She sucked…completely fake, forced, and annoying. Have you even seen the original movie? Marketa was so much better..

Comment by Glen Hansard – May 13, 2013 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wow! Remind me not to use your recommendations. She was amazing in Once! She got nominated because people who know broadway nominated her. I can understand a person not liking something but you are rude.

Comment by 40acresandapump – May 14, 2013 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • right over your head…
          look at the name on his comment and you’ll get what he said and why…

well done Mr. Hansard… love your music.

as for the actress she was funny on 30 Rock.

Comment by Nick C – May 14, 2013 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Wait a minute-you actually think Glen Hansard posted that?

Comment by Josh – May 14, 2013 01:50 PM PDT
          • yeah @Josh..
            I think the real Glen Hansard posted that..
            Jesus you people might want to look into a word/term called sarcasm.

Comment by Nick C – May 14, 2013 03:49 PM PDT
          • Not over rover…..I love the show!! There was a time….a little like WIZARD OF OZ! one of my alltime fav’s just like E.T. If you need to concur, I am available for consult?
            #1~M&M

Comment by Misti – May 14, 2013 04:10 PM PDT
      • I agree so much.

Love your name!

Comment by Smart Person – May 22, 2013 04:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Loved it, loved it, loved it!! I literally squealed with delight when I recognized who she was! She was phenomenal in Once, and I can’t wait to see what she does here once we get to know her!

Comment by Matt – May 14, 2013 03:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yawwnnnn she seems boring…..still pulling for ted to marry Robin

Comment by bshack – May 15, 2013 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good move HIMYM by not stunt casting

Comment by ggny – May 13, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree. She’s going to be wonderful!

Comment by Arthur – May 13, 2013 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I always expected to see a face we saw before on the show, even for just a second. I was not expecting this. The reveal was worth the eight season. But now I feel it’s too soon to end the show. The finale felt like it could’ve been the end to the show in some aspects. It upsets me that Two and a Half Men is still on, but HIMYM is ending next year. Although, I prefer the show to end on its own terms than to get cancelled, and for it to end on such a high note (thus far).

Comment by Esaul – May 14, 2013 04:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t think it’s fair to compare HIMYM to 2.5 Men. I gather that the actors on HIMYM are ready for it to end. I don’t think CBS is eager to end it.

Comment by AJ – May 14, 2013 04:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I went to school with Cristin, and she’s one of the sweetest, funniest, most talented people I’ve known. Kudos to her. I’m still flabbergasted she’s the mother. If it’s anybody, I’m glad it’s her.

Comment by DL – May 13, 2013 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It took me a while to recognize her but once I did I freaked out a little! I have read ridiculous things on twitter though. I think she’s adorable. I don’t know how people expected her to look. I like the idea that the mother is just an average girl he’s been a step behind of for years instead of a super-TV-hot looking girl (though I think she’s really pretty and has a super cute nose.)

Plus she’s very talented. I’m looking forward to see her on the show next season! I had stopped watching but this just got me excited about the show again.

Comment by Taylah – May 13, 2013 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t know who she is but from the reactions she’s getting it looks like we are all in for a good experience.

Comment by Tim – May 13, 2013 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m THRILLED!! I got to see her twice in Once & she’s a special talent. I’m so happy they didn’t stunt cast this role, and that more people will get to know her! Yay Cristin!

Comment by Margaret – May 13, 2013 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agree with the others…its nice that they casted someone who “just” looks like a regular girl and not some well known “super” star

Comment by Boiler – May 13, 2013 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah plus her appearance on 30 Rock was hilarious. I’m glad they have cast a pretty girl with comedy chops and not just a face/body. It has been confirmed she’s the mom though, and not just some fake out?

Comment by Sarah – May 13, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I know is she is super adorable.

Comment by Mike R. – May 13, 2013 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool she’s actually a musician!

Nice move.

Comment by John – May 13, 2013 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I saw her and thought I knew her from something… took me a few minutes to recognize her from her guest appearance on “30 Rock”.

Comment by Taneem – May 13, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like this casting. It’s a strong blend of “known” and “unknown.”

Comment by CJS – May 13, 2013 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like to keep the genre all mixed up. I also appreciate a face to face interaction to see what I deal with on a daily basis. To me it sets a stage for more to come not just the past.

Comment by Misti – May 14, 2013 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s got the bass guitar case and yellow umbrella so she is the mother right? Unless this is a red herring and happens to be the guitar player and lends her umbrella to the bassist who is the real mother?

I am so over Ted/Robin but I know they can still end up together if both Barney and the mother die far off into the future but only if Barney dies because I think the Barney/Robin relationship can’t end any other way at this point.

Comment by jennnnn – May 13, 2013 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • CBS already confirmed she is in fact the mother

Comment by ggny – May 13, 2013 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO excited for her! Loved her in 30 Rock, loved her more in Once. I’ve met her a couple of times from seeing Once. She’s the sweetest. So happy for her.

Comment by Joe – May 13, 2013 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool. But it’s called Falling Slowly. And I’m still not ruling Robin out.

Comment by John Berggren – May 13, 2013 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • CBS has already confirmed she is he mother

Comment by ggny – May 13, 2013 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The show creators have said time and again that Robin is not the mother. They also said something to the effect of “it was ALWAYS going to be Barney and Robin.”

Comment by Arthur – May 13, 2013 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was convinced it was going to be Jennifer Morrison and am sad it’s not.

Comment by asta – May 13, 2013 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But he had already met her in season 7…

Comment by Jess – May 13, 2013 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for posting this video! Also I can’t believe this is the same girl from “30 Rock”. She was HILARIOUS! Now I’m even more excited.

Comment by Sarah – May 13, 2013 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t know her before tonight, but as soon as I saw here, I just thought, “It’s her!” She looks perfect. So sweet, and cute, and I can’t wait for Ted to meet her!

Comment by O'Brien – May 13, 2013 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My guess is that Teds been talking about how he met the kids mother who is in fact “The Mother” but he marries there Aunt Robin…
    Maybe Barney is the kids Dad???

Comment by Karjean – May 13, 2013 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh man Karjean – that’s freaking brilliant!! I never once thought of that but that actually makes AMAZING sense.

Comment by jack – May 13, 2013 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I totally can’t get this out of my mind now. Plus in that one flash back scene when ted is sitting at the train station and ‘the girl’ walks up, what you see in the corner of the screen is a snippet of a wedding dress.

Comment by jack – May 13, 2013 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • CBS confirmed that Cristin is the mother. And the show’s creators have said all along that it is NOT Ted and Robin, but they always knew it would be Barney and Robin. That’s their endgame. They have been very specific about that.

Comment by Arthur – May 13, 2013 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But he always calls Barney “Uncle Barney”. And at the beginning of the show they were calling him dad. This show isn’t very mysterious so there’s no point in making crazy theories. It’s a cool theory but most likely wrong. How I met your mother doesn’t really like surprises if you haven’t noticed by now.

Comment by Kay – May 14, 2013 01:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, no.

Comment by Ted Mosby – May 22, 2013 04:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Robin could not be “the Mother”. Remember, Robin learned that she can’t have kids.

Comment by Mary Anne – September 27, 2013 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew I recognized her. Watched them perform on Letterman a while back. I still would like to know what this episode was going to be when they were still planning this as the last season.

Comment by Ethan – May 13, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So,… Is she the daughter of the Captain?

Comment by GJ – May 13, 2013 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I recognized her immediately and was so surprised!!! Excited for next season!!!

Comment by Sar – May 13, 2013 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To everyone holding out hope for Robin as the mother, I’ll refer you to the very first episode of the show when Ted tells his kids…”And that’s how I met your Aunt Robin.” It’s been off the table from the beginning.

Comment by jeff – May 13, 2013 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Carter and Craig even said “we told you in the very first episode that she wasn’t the mother. We weren’t lying.” Like.. I don’t understand how people can think Robin is still the mother.

Comment by Arthur – May 13, 2013 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Plus Robin can’t have kids we learned that in season 7.

Comment by Taylor – May 13, 2013 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I guess he would just finish his story with the “btw, you guys were adopted” line.

Comment by trololo – May 14, 2013 12:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Like! like!!!

Comment by Misti – May 14, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • excellent!! and congrats!!

Comment by Deb Saine – May 13, 2013 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now that I realize she’s the girl from that 30 Rock episode, I approve. Ha ha.

Comment by Babybop – May 13, 2013 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What the help are you doing spoiling the show for people

Comment by Morgan Casteel – May 13, 2013 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I’ll like her. Definitely glad they went with a relatively unknown actress. I don’t think we should judge on looks. It’s unrealistic for Ted to end up with a model, and she’s cute enough…

Also, I hate to be the one to do this, but the song in that clip is “Falling Slowly,” not “Falling Softly.” One of my favorite songs. Sounds like she can really sing, though it’s hard to tell from that (albeit beautiful) video because there are so many others singing.

Comment by Lindsey – May 13, 2013 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unreal! She was scheduled to be in a reading of a play I attending tonight, but dropped out last minute, I assume for upfronts!!! Really happy for her.

Comment by eloise – May 13, 2013 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s adorable and perfect for Ted! Given his mindset at the end of this season, can’t wait to see how he meets her!

Comment by Steve F. – May 13, 2013 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one who thinks she looks EXACTLY like Lily.!!

Comment by brandon wilson – May 13, 2013 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • she totally does!

Comment by ceylan – May 13, 2013 10:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think she’s related to lily some how! Maybe her sister (which we har heard nothing about) or her cousin.

Comment by Kay – May 14, 2013 01:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, just you.

Comment by Ted Mosby – May 22, 2013 04:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do you think Casey Wilson’s joke about her name being Kiristin was a little clue, since the actress that play the mom’s name is Cristin.

Or maybe I’m just reaching…

Comment by Mike Morrison (@mikesbloggity) – May 13, 2013 10:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a fitting song for her to sing. “I don’t know you but I want you all the more for that.” Aww. The Mother is so cute.

Comment by R – May 13, 2013 10:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG the sexy baby chick from 30Rock!! WHAT?!!?!?! also, i read the title of this article as “Who’s That Girls?” > “It’s Jess!” LOL

Comment by cjeffery7 – May 13, 2013 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its not that she’s not hot, its just that she looks WAAYYY too much like Lily.

Comment by brandon wilson – May 13, 2013 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I could not agree more. Then again, it kind of makes sense considering Ted has been wanting what Lily and Marshall have for a long time. People really are that simple, though I doubt this was the logic behind casting her… She’s adorable nonetheless.

Comment by Jenna – May 14, 2013 02:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • can it still be victoria???? damn!

Comment by JB Smooove – May 13, 2013 11:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All this wait time for a baby faced actor no one knows, huge fail and fans should be pissed!!!

Comment by DavidSask – May 13, 2013 11:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why? It’s about the character, not the actress. And I loved her in 30 Rock and then recognized her and loved her even more in Once so even on that level (which I don’t think is important) I’m really happy.
      Anyway, the actual good news is that next season we’ll meet the mother. Unless they stretch 2 days over a whole season….

Comment by noa – May 13, 2013 11:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There is one ‘small’ concern here – [and I'm fine with Cristin as the mother] – however, as one post noted on the other HIMYM article on TVLine this evening, we know that the mother was Cindy’s roommate (Rachel Bilson). Cindy was not able to bring men around to the apartment for fear that the mother [character now played by Cristin] would steal them away. Is that possible to believe now? Seeing Cristin and Rachel in the same scene, is that concept [mother stealing men from Cindy] possible? Believable?
        Another way to look at this. Cristin does look a lot like Alyson, and they are both very attractive women. However, in eight seasons, how many times did Alyson’s character Lily pose a threat to Robin/Cobie in competing for men – Lily married or not. Would it be believable that Cobie/Robin could not bring a boyfriend around the apartment for fear the men would immediately approach Lily? That’s the same dynamic we’ll be seeing in season 9 between the mother/Cristin and Cindy/Rachel. Will that work?

Comment by ... some trouble up ahead? – May 14, 2013 12:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think that Ted, and probably the guys Cindy mentioned fell for her personality. From how Cindy described her, the Mother sounds like a quirky manic pixie dream girl type that lots of guys like.

Comment by sands856 – May 14, 2013 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I hope you are right. I’m not wired that way. I like charming, cute pixie girls/women as well, as long as they are surrounded by other similar women. Lily and the mother will make a wonderful tandem. But if either is in a room with ‘a Cindy’ or ‘a Robin’ type girl/women, forget it. I’ve got to go after the Cindy/Robin type. Some men are just (sadly) wired that way.

Comment by ....some trouble up ahead? – May 14, 2013 07:39 AM PDT
        • You have a point.. But, at the risk of sounding way too stupid, flirting and charm are not all about the looks. If memory serves, Cindy was pretty insecure about herself when she was dating Ted (Robin wasn’t, for sure), maybe The Mother wasn’t. Maybe she’s got the attitude and the ways. It’s a common place: someone with the charm can beat the sexiest types.

Comment by amacif – May 14, 2013 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • There are a million reasons why she could steal guys from Cindy: maybe she’s funnier, maybe she’s great in bed and makes it clear, maybe has a better attitude, maybe she’s more charming or… maybe it was easy to steal guys from Cindy because she probably wasn’t that interested anyway since she turned out to be a lesbian.

Comment by Taylah – May 14, 2013 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • EXACTLY! Cindy wasn’t really into the men!

Comment by Jackie H – May 14, 2013 10:00 AM PDT
        • I always thought Cindy meant that once they met her roommate, they fell for her. I don’t think she actively stole Cindy’s boyfriends. Plus, Cindy was clearly insecure (and confused about her sexuality, as we learn later)

Comment by Mikael – May 14, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • To each their own. Dont criticize someone for being themselves!! I know for sure all people are beautiful. But rather a man that has moves and harmony and knows how to make a woman feel and in turn she will do the same!! All the haters need to STOP!!

Comment by Misti – May 14, 2013 10:20 AM PDT
    • Kinda have to agree. She looked so young, almost like a child in her brief appearance. Not what I pictured, but I care so little now that it doesn’t really matter.

Comment by tripoli – May 14, 2013 12:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s not a perfect beauty, and yet somehow that makes her perfect for The Mother. She’s cute anyway.

Besides, after dating a psychotic policewoman, a hippie, another hippie, a gambler, a chatterbox, a punk, and Barney’s sister… an ordinary girl with some cool traits (bass player) is the best choice for Ted.

Comment by Ziggy – May 14, 2013 12:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She looks cute, but does anyone not see the resemblance to a brunette Alyson Hannigan? They could be cousins.

Comment by Shuayb – May 14, 2013 12:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i like the fact that she’s the mother.. but yeah i agree she looks like lily. i hope when they put both of them together it wont be too obvious…n weird.. i mean ted ended up with someone who looks like his best friend’s wife.

Comment by lila – May 14, 2013 04:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I expected some one extremely hot and beautiful! But she is a cutie:)

Comment by Ted Mosby, Architect! – May 14, 2013 04:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She will be the perfect Mother though :)

Comment by Ted Mosby, Architect! – May 14, 2013 04:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You just know if she is the mother. And the kids have a 6th sense and know if a person is good for a reason or just a good ol mother type/.

Comment by Misti – May 15, 2013 01:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t know who she was, but I’m exited to see if she lives up to the great expectations I (and most people) have of her. I mean, 8 seasons of constantly teasing who the mother is, and it better be good. But I’m glad they didn’t cast a big name, and went with someone who can give us a whole new perspective

Comment by Karen – May 14, 2013 04:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone else think she looks a lot like a mix between Robin and Lilly?

Comment by NCSouthernBelle – May 14, 2013 05:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Adorable. Perpetual douche Ted already doesn’t deserve her.

Comment by R.O.B. – May 14, 2013 05:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh I missed the reveal…..or is it all nearly a play on life seen before your own eyes? I believe within my heart, hopes and dreams and searchings do pay off. The thing is that you can’t stop life or stop searching, but when you find the one…..If It sure feels right. As i ponder my own…..

Comment by Misti – May 14, 2013 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We’re still only halfway through the season here in the UK… but completely coincidentally was watching her 30 Rock episode only the other day!

Comment by Dizzle – May 14, 2013 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I kept trying to figure out where I knew her from – 30 Rock! Of course. Good casting! And I liked the foreshadowing when Lilly said they’d be the same size.

Comment by Shifty – May 14, 2013 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cristin Milioti is the perfect girl next door, she’s perfect for this role. Good job guys.

Comment by Kurdt – May 14, 2013 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so many similarities its uncanny! Ahhhh…..if it were me. Id be that character as I only know how. Im told its a good thing? not sure though. Love this show!!! I miss not having T.V. not even for the news and of course HIMYM!!!

Comment by Misti – May 14, 2013 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think she’s gorgeous/adorable, and she was really funny on 30 Rock. She looks a lot like a young Alyson Hannigan, which I wonder if they will bring up at all, I think they’ve got to. Looking forward to seeing more of her next season.

Comment by Vinnie – May 14, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought she was Alyssa Milano when I saw her on HIMYM. Which is funny, because when I saw her on 30 Rock, I thought she was Alyssa Milano then too.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – May 14, 2013 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Alyssa great actress when I was a teen….now that I’m a lil older i can still relate, she needs a stellar role. this is my opinion?

Comment by Misti – May 14, 2013 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post