Report: Christina Aguilera Returning for The Voice Season 5, As Shakira Leaves

The VoiceThe Voice is getting a little of its vibrato back.

Christina Aguilera will return as a coach in Season 5, according to The Wrap.

In turn, Shakira is vacating her swivel chair after one well-received spin on NBC’s hit talent competition, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED | Fall Preview: Watch Trailers for NBC’s Michael J. Fox ShowIronsideDracula and Other New Series

Aguilera coached hopeful singers in Seasons 1-3 but stepped away for the fourth cycle in order to promote her album Lotus. (Similarly, new mom Shakira is in the midst of producing her own next album.)

NBC made no mention of any Voice coaching changes at its upfront presentation to advertisers in New York Monday.

Comments (225)

• I think Christina is excellent! I felt that her comments were the most truthful/helpful season 2 and 3 and I alot of time felt the same way she did. I’m happy she’s coming back! I think The Voice could actually benefit from having a revolving door of coaches to keep it fresh. I love all the coaches but this season you can tell Adam and Blake seem to sound like broken records at times. Again they are all great so NBC should keep mixing it up

Comment by Ram510 – May 13, 2013 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She definitely has “the voice” but she is terrible coach! She had a really strong team last season but her song choices for them were horrible!

Comment by Rochelle – May 13, 2013 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO NO NO NO NO! Nobody wants diva Christina back! She needs to stay away from the voice. She is a terrible coach and such a witch! Shakira is absolutely fantastic and I really hope NBC will reconsider bringing back Christina. Shakira is everything Christina isn’t, and that’s a great thing…please keep Christina’s toxicity away from the show!

Comment by Natalie – May 13, 2013 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find it interesting how much people love Shakira, it’s great. But I remember when they announced Shakira and Usher for the 4th season on this very site alot of people were saying “why Shakira?” Interesting.
    I’m not sure about Usher as a person, but he is the best coach out of all of them. He needs to come back!

Comment by Ram510 – May 13, 2013 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think everybody is in love with Shakira’s sweetness vs the witchy Christina. Christina acts like she is a DIVA vs Shakira comes across as a genuine person the average person can approach.

Comment by BillyBob – May 13, 2013 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The Queen is Coming Back Get ready Haters..

Comment by Jay – May 14, 2013 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!!! LOVE HER :D

Comment by Jack – May 14, 2013 12:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad she’s coming back. I couldn’t watch this season because the show wasn’t the same without her. Chemistry between the coaches was forced this season and it was very awkward.

Comment by ErixN – May 14, 2013 01:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • aww…shakira is amazing in this season. i hope usher stays in for the next one though.

Comment by oliver – May 14, 2013 01:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Christina and Shakira are both amazing!! Christina brings her sassy self. Which is good. Shakira has that adorable personality.

Comment by TiffanyC – May 14, 2013 01:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No, please, no. They should steal Jessie J from The Voice UK, she’s a blast!

Comment by Ash – May 14, 2013 03:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • man that is horrible news, she is a terrible judge, loved Shakira…Christina is so all about her..Please don’t do this!

Comment by libby – May 14, 2013 04:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s the only thing she’s sorta good at! After her album flopped she needs money guys, SHAKIRA IS AMAZING, adm this is the first season where i have actually enjoyed my self without having to look at xtinas overrated ego!
    SHAKIRA AND USHER SHOULD STAY FOREVER!!!

Comment by German – May 14, 2013 05:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will stop watching the show if xtina comes back … I love shakira and usher on the show!!

Comment by Evetaz – May 14, 2013 05:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Omg please no!! Lets protest or I’m never watching the voice again!!

Comment by Christina is cool but no!! Too soon – May 14, 2013 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Don’t bring her back !!!

Comment by Emilia – May 14, 2013 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NONONONO Can’t stand the witch, she doesn’t vote on talent, it’s a personal thing with her and also she’s the reason I stopped watching for awhile. This year has been awesome. Blake and Adam are always fun and Shakira and Usher have made it a wonderful show, they give real suggestions and are fun. Stay away Christina go look in the mirror some more elsewhere

Comment by ponkle (@ponkle) – May 14, 2013 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let it go people, she’s coming back.

Comment by Brent – May 14, 2013 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Shakira, but enjoyed the show more with Christina. I don’t know how you can say you hate someone without meeting them. Usher was is boring, but a very good coach. I think they should have Shakira and Christina it would make an interesting show.

Comment by M.M. – May 14, 2013 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whatever happens, let’s just hope Cee Lo doesn’t come back.

Comment by Ellen – May 14, 2013 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Getting paid 17 million to stay on as judge on #thevoice must be diva status yeahhhh buddy Ain’t No Other xtina simply the best! ❤❤❤

Comment by Zita Jones – May 14, 2013 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t want christina to come or cee lo going to stop watching it. I loved shakira being on the voice

Comment by shayna – May 14, 2013 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Plssssssssss….KEEP SHAKIRA!!! Her adorable and genuine gestures are something new and refreshing compared to Ego and Big boobs exposure. I adore her to death now. And chemistry between these 4 coaches now is beyond the wildest dreams! They are perfect together like matches made in heaven.

Comment by jojo – May 14, 2013 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Comment by telk – May 14, 2013 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually like Christina but I’d much rather watch Shakira. She’s adorable and personable, very into her team and just an all around good coach. I hope we get to have her back.

Comment by Ashley – May 14, 2013 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one who is looking forward to Season 5? While I prefer Shakira’s personality over Christina’s, I feel that Christina is a better coach. She is very blunt but she gives constructive criticisms most of the time. Song choices too. I definitely prefer Ceelo over Usher. Entertainment aside, the comments that Usher gives are very generic and he seems (to me at least) emotionally unattached to the artists.

Comment by Mir – May 14, 2013 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yah! I can start watching it again! Shakira talks too much. Poor Adam had seconds to make his choice the other night because Shakira went on and on about putting her teams name in a jar and hoping God would guide her hand. She ate up all of Adam’s time. So glad Christina is coming back. Like both the gals vocally, but Shakira just can’t hold a candle to Christina on the Voice.

Comment by Kirvia – May 14, 2013 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lol even in that pic chosen by the poster, you can tell how evil she is.

Comment by Adam Fachry – May 15, 2013 05:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad people’s opinion of Shakira won’t keep her on the show. Love her attitude and real care she has coaching. Christina needs to get over herself before coaching someone else.

Comment by Debra – May 15, 2013 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s really too late for an April Fool’s joke. I think she was just plain MEAN on that show – I love Shakira and she brings the perfect balance of critisim and encouragement. Christina’s too worried about those crazy outfits (that are WAY too small) to be bothered to actually care about the talent.

Comment by Amy – May 15, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sometimes you need a person to tell the truth even if it hurts, because in the artistic world things are not easy. Christina is a great coach, and I like Shakira too! but I prefer Christina. She can gave you great tips for a future! She does it in the past three seasons! so she can do it again.

Comment by Benny – May 15, 2013 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh great……..christina has never won. Always snotty. I watched it more this year than ever before. We hate her. Ask the fans for once gheeze.

Comment by Heather Miller – May 15, 2013 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was the best season for the Voice. If Christina comes back my wife and I won’t watch it.. NBC you want good ratings don’t do this..

Comment by Tom – May 16, 2013 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good for you. You and your wife can go watch America idol they need you Hates …hahahahhhaa

Comment by Jay – May 17, 2013 11:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree, this was the best season with the best coaches, completely enjoyable. Please don’t bring xtina back……..

Comment by Susan – May 16, 2013 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its fun to watch shakira. Cristina not so much,bad attitude maybe she needs to loosen up.. keep shakira please.. ur ratings will jump higher

Comment by mimi – May 16, 2013 11:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there any way to get votes to not allow Christina the witch back into the voice? She is horrible as a coach. I disliked her nasty attitude and diva personality. She never had anything nice to say unless it was for her team. She has no sense of judgement. Adding Shakira to the show was the best thing the voice did. She is fabulous, funny, has an amazing personality and knows how to speak without bashing someone down like Christina does. I don’t think I’ll be watching the show next season if Christina comes back with her disgusting attitude. She needs an attitude change immediately!

Comment by Smiley – May 17, 2013 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good for you girl ….go play with you hairy kitty..hahhahahah

Comment by Jay – May 17, 2013 11:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Christina is a great Coach! I was an audience member during Season 3… best trip of my life!!! Had she and Cee-Lo not left, no one would even be having this convo. Everyone is jealous they aren’t making bank like her. Every person in Hollywood is overpaid. It’s Los Angeles. Get with the program! Usher was terrible this season. He acted like he didn’t even care about anything…all the while sitting there with his leg up on the chair. Talk about no talent. Shakira was OK, but didn’t fit or mesh like the Original 4. Bring it on Season 5! I Love The Voice

Comment by Alicia – May 20, 2013 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We won’t be watching season 5, we will be back for season 6. Christina is a good singer but an awful personality on the show…. We also LOVE Usher!!!! Keep it the way it is!!!!!!!

Comment by Kayla – May 27, 2013 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did Dee Snider bone a poodle and teach the offspring to sing, please xtina stay home and buy an arctrainer

Comment by Big Daddy Nate – May 29, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In term of Coaching Ability:
    Blake > Cee Lo > Adam > Christina (prev season)
    Blake > Adam > Usher > Shakira (now)
    *i think Usher is pretty good coach.

The reason why Christina shouldn’t come back:
    Female judge coaching ability: Shakira > Christina.
    *comparing the result of their contestants. We have Sasha on top 5 and she can still go up, when Adam failed to develop Sasha’s ability and bring her best performance. Shakira brought Sasha to another level of singing.
    And Christina… only managed to be the first judge who got all her contestants eliminated. Best Achievement: Top 8, with the new voting system. Even with the old voting system, during season 1-2 finale, her no.1 contestant only rank no.4.
    (S1 Winner: team Adam, Runner Up: Blake, 3rd: CLo. S2 Winner: team Blake, runner up: CLo, 3rd: Adam. S3 winner: team Blake, runner up: CLo, 3rd: Adam).
    I agree Christina shouldn’t come back. Plus she has attitude problem. Plus I don’t like her costumes at all.

Comment by leena – June 5, 2013 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • UGH not christina aguilera, she SUCKS as a judge can’t stand her personality

Comment by Amanda – June 17, 2013 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shakira is such a warm,kind,cheerful,and full of love coach. I love her and the way she laugh. It’s better to give her and Usher other opportunities to show the world how to be a great coach with their own unique characters. But I heard that they are scheduled to return on season 6, so I’m hoping that it’s true.

Comment by DArbie – June 20, 2013 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh please, keep Shakira and Usher — I loved the four of them together, it was good chemistry. X Tina as she says is way too self centered and half the time her clothing was a little to be desired. I hope they reconsider. You can bring back Cee Lo but not Xtina.

Comment by Bab – June 20, 2013 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s so mean that they are kicking Shakira out to make room for Christina. They’re making Shakira feel like she isn’t important.

Comment by Eugenio – June 21, 2013 11:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • vote for xtina and cee lo shakra is boring and usher i hate him love love love xtina she is my favourite singer when she make she first song and cee lo good i want xtina and cee lo for all the seson from 7 to all

Comment by christopher gobin – July 3, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • vote for xtina and cee lo because xtina i love love love xtina whn she make she first song i love she and cee lo cool so don,t bring shakia and usher after seson 6 shakira dump and usher hate him so let xtina and cee lo come for all the seson

Comment by christopher gobin – July 3, 2013 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post