Report: Christina Aguilera Returning for The Voice Season 5, As Shakira Leaves

The VoiceThe Voice is getting a little of its vibrato back.

Christina Aguilera will return as a coach in Season 5, according to The Wrap.

In turn, Shakira is vacating her swivel chair after one well-received spin on NBC’s hit talent competition, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED | Fall Preview: Watch Trailers for NBC’s Michael J. Fox ShowIronsideDracula and Other New Series

Aguilera coached hopeful singers in Seasons 1-3 but stepped away for the fourth cycle in order to promote her album Lotus. (Similarly, new mom Shakira is in the midst of producing her own next album.)

NBC made no mention of any Voice coaching changes at its upfront presentation to advertisers in New York Monday.

1. Carlee says:

Ugh. I’ve caught snippets of The Voice in previous seasons but this season is the only one where I’ve actually watched full episodes – and it’s because Shakira and Usher were there instead of Christina and CeeLo. Maybe the latter make for a more “exciting” show, but I kind of like just enjoying the singing competition and not having to listen to all that extra stuff.

Maybe The Voice should alternate those judges – the show is on twice a year, right? So one season will be the “crazy” fun season, while the next season will be the entertaining but less crazy season.

2. alvin says:

We Love Christina ! BRINGHERBACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Lostinacastle says:

Never had anything against Christina until she was so rude the season before last. I refused to watch last season because of her and I will not watch if she returns.

• Tammy says:

Neither will I watch when she returns! The show has been so much better with Blake; Adam; Usher and Shakira they all fit together!!!

4. Faith says:

:( I’m soooo not looking forward to this. I LOVE the chemistry between the judges this season. Shakira made this season fun and I will miss her a lot. Christina is loud and was always disrespectful to the other judges when she wouldn’t let them talk by talking over them. I would rather they have brought someone completely new on. It’s been refreshing without Ceelo and Christina this season.

5. Ruby says:

Bummer. I was kind of getting used to not being sexually assaulted by Christina’s boobs every episode finally.

• BillyBob says:

Same here. Christina and her cleavage. Too much. American Idol Nicki and Mariah was even worst, it’s a double dose of boobs! Shakira is more down to earth and sincere.

6. lila says:

nooo.. i love shakira way moree… WHY????

7. Anonymous says:

Boo!!! I love these 4 coaches, I couldn’t Christina and her giant ego. Team Shakira!

8. Lena says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Keep Shakira the chemistry is so great this year and she is so great! Nothing against Christina Aguilera but she just doesn’t have that something as a judge. Don’t get me wrong the girl can sing no doubt about it but there is just something missing that Shakira brings this year. NBC/The Voice please reconsider

9. Todd says:

Yessssssssszssssssssssssss :)

10. mia says:

They should keep Shakira + Xtina! Both powerhouse ladies!!

11. chrisbrown says:

Please keep these judges !!! They are so much more fun. I love Shakira and Usher on the show !!!

12. greysfan says:

The reason I stopped watching last season was because of Cee-Lo and Christina. The fact she is returning will mean I won’t be. She is fake and should just quit.

13. Guru says:

yeah!!!! I have enjoyed Shakira but welcome the opportunity to have Christina back! Keep them both that would be cool but gotta keep Blake he is so entertaining!

14. Deena says:

Boooooo. Shakira is so much more fun to watch & actually coaches & respects her team unlike condescending Christina.

15. Gkassie says:

I really like Shakira. I’m sorry she won’t be back next season. I really don’t want Ceelo back. I don’t care for him. Blake is fun and if you remember, the first time he won the Voice it was with Jermaine Paul; not a “pretty girl.” I believe his choices are based on talent; not gender or looks. Keep Usher.

16. Chris says:

you know I liked Christina…BUT in reality I think Shakira has such an ear and is very “music smart”. She knows what she is talking about and added a lot to the show…honestly…she is much better than Christina!!

17. Tawnya says:

No it has been so nice with out her. It’s always about her and out doing the contestants. It doesnt seem as streasful either! I don’t have to look at her cleavage every time also! Yes she is a good singer but not good at taking jokes an having a good time. She so over the top diva! And not in a good way!

18. CJ says:

Sorry but I am loving Shakira and Usher..there appears to be a real sincerity to what they say and do.

19. AT says:

Bleh. I stopped watching last season because of her poor attitude and choices. Shakira has been like a breath of fresh air, sassy without being a witch (with a B). Guess I won’t be watching…

20. Jodee says:

I wasn’t sure if I was going to like Usher and Shakira on this season but they were great additions. Shakira is so sweet. Not happy that Xtina is coming back but I will still watch.

21. DavidSask says:

17 Million dollars for this rude bitch, so angry with the producers of the show and the other judges should be irate whomever they end up being next season!!

22. Leah says:

I would like to know if there is a chance Shakira and Usher will be back for season 6. I think it would be best (for the show, and for the coaches so they don’t get burned out) if they switched off every other season. Shakira and Usher bring a different dynamic to the show, and I’ll be disappointed if they’re gone for good.

23. Danny says:

Uggh. Like a lot of people, I was hoping Shakira would stick around. The way I understand their contracts is Christina & Cee Lo get to come back anytime they want too. Also, Shakira’s boyfriend is a soccer player in Spain. From what she said on the Jay Leno show, soccer players over there only get like 20 days off per year. So whatever time they get together, I would think she’s the one who has to do the travelling. So it’s possible that maybe she doesn’t want to make that kind of time commitment again.
    Maybe Christina can learn from how awesome Shakira was this year and try to be more like that………………….. naaaaaaaaaaaa, never happen. Wishful thinking though.

24. BillyBob says:

Please do not bring Christina back. She is not missed. Christina is too full of herself. Her cleavage and everything needs to go.

25. Lori says:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! Sorry, but Shakira has won me over! She seems so geninue and she’s just adorable! I wanted both her and Usher to stay.

26. Joey says:

I love Christina. Out of all the judges, shes probably the most honest. I respect her for that. Plus she can sing circles around the other couches. If you listen to her, she actually gives contestants pretty good advise.

27. Kim OQuinn says:

NOOOOOO please God NOOOOOOO!

28. Jared says:

Christina FINALLY realized that NOBODY wants to buy her music or pay to see her tour. The Voice is now her bread and butter.

29. Luiz says:

I’m SO HAPPY Christina’s coming back! I love Shakira and I’m still watching the show, but it’s been kind of boring without Christina and Cee Lo.

I wouldn’t mind a rotation at all, since I don’t want to lose Shakira for good either, but if the original coaches never got back, I think I would lose interest with time (it’s already starting, actually). I miss huge voices and personalities.

We’ve got three seasons with Christina in the panel, and the show has had nothing but success. People can complain as much as they want, but I’m sure her return won’t hurt ratings at all.

30. Sue says:

Nooooo!!! Keep Shakira and bring back C. Lo. My family really enjoys everyone except Usher and Christina….

• BillyBob says:

Agree…nooooooooooooooooo! Usher does not appeal to me. Christina is almost as bad as Nicki and Mariah. Too much cleavage.

31. Sweat Pea says:

I hope Usher stays he is refreshing to have on. Blake’s ego is getting way too big. Skakira has been nice to have hate to see her leave, but we have to have Usher!!!!

• Dana says:

I agree and I’m surprised this is the first pro-Usher comment that I’ve noticed. I think he is really different, very critical and strategic in improving his team members. More than any of the other coaches he fits the title, does the things you’d want a coach to do.

32. Jane says:

I’m confused as to why Xtina took a break this season? Cee-lo is actually working, but the last time I checked didn’t Xtina say she was planning on touring? What happened? This is the second time she said she was planning on touring, first it was with Bionic and then Lotus.

33. Pansy says:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I like The Voice with Shakira and Usher !!!

34. asta says:

the chemistry is seamless now, don’t bring the X back.

35. BillyBob says:

Looks like the majority do not want or need X-tina returning. Can someone create an online petition to have Christina NOT return and keep Shakira and email it to the Voice producers?

36. stefany says:

Wow. I see I’m not alone…

37. Jane says:

Can someone explain what happened with Christina touring? This is the second time she “cancelled”

38. Manuel says:

Yes!!! Welcome back Christina!!! :D

39. Martin says:

Yess. Haters stay mad

40. xvoicer says:

The Voice’s doing good owes much to work of previous judges include Christina. They laid some ‘foundation’ for new seasons.

41. Mangochic says:

No!!!!!! I want Shakira to stay! She really does give good advice to her contestants and she actually cares about them.

42. MrTemecula says:

Aw, Christina is alright. Christina and her two friends can be on my TV screen anytime they want.

43. Jay says:

This is for all you Hater The queen rule the World she’s coming back ..Even Whitney Houston said before she died …So there you have it..hahahhahahaha

44. Jacob says:

This is nothing new. They said that she would return for the 5th cycle when they announced that she would step away for the forth cycle to promote her album. She was fully expected to return

45. Lucia says:

oh well guess i wont be watching season 5 :/ cant stand her

46. patrick says:

I really want Xtina to come back said NOBODY EVER

47. Jean TenBrook says:

I absolutely adore Shakira and like Usher too! Best season of The Voice. Christina could go be a judge on American Idol with Niki. LOL

48. JMH says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

*cough*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

49. Jane says:

I wonder why they haven’t made a decision about Usher, yet. Maybe he’s negotiating his contract? Cee lo is actually really busy, atm. It was just announced he’s getting his own reality show on top of it.

50. Jean TenBrook says:

Oops, spelled Nicki’s name wrong. Should have looked it up – guess my lack of fandom is obvious! LOL