Report: Christina Aguilera Returning for The Voice Season 5, As Shakira Leaves

The VoiceThe Voice is getting a little of its vibrato back.

Christina Aguilera will return as a coach in Season 5, according to The Wrap.

In turn, Shakira is vacating her swivel chair after one well-received spin on NBC’s hit talent competition, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED | Fall Preview: Watch Trailers for NBC’s Michael J. Fox ShowIronsideDracula and Other New Series

Aguilera coached hopeful singers in Seasons 1-3 but stepped away for the fourth cycle in order to promote her album Lotus. (Similarly, new mom Shakira is in the midst of producing her own next album.)

NBC made no mention of any Voice coaching changes at its upfront presentation to advertisers in New York Monday.

1. kaba says:

Can that be rescinded at any moment?

2. Gabby says:

Can she not? It’s been so much more enjoyable without her.

3. Jacob P. says:

No! I dislike Christina! ):

4. Dennis says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Amanda says:

Darn, I have enjoyed a Christina free season

6. Jill says:

Boooo!!!!!!!

7. JC says:

I thought that was always the plan, she was going to take one cycle off to work on her music.

8. mick says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

9. Elena says:

NOOOOOOO!!!!! The show has been so much better with Shakira and Usher!!

10. Aly says:

Ugh. I knew she was supposed to come back but I was really hoping she wouldn’t. It’s so much more pleasant without her giant ego taking up so much space.

11. sasha says:

Christina is more exciting than Shakira anyway. She brings the crazy and drama

• c-mo says:

That is what has been so fantastic about this year, no crazy, no obnoxious drama, no fear of wardrobe malfunctions, only silliness and crazy judge chemistry!

• Dana says:

Agree with c-mo. I can see crazy and drama on basically any reality show. I think watching the Voice has been great now that I can just focus on the singing and the judges being cute about everything.

12. kaba says:

Can she replace Adam if she HAS to come back? -___-
    Adam doesn’t do anything for his contestants towards winning. He seems to look like it.

• Jen says:

SMH Clearly we must be watching different shows…

• Jason says:

You do realize one of Adam’s singers won Season 1 right? And that he has what almost everyone considers the strongest team this season too.

• kaba says:

Read what I said.
        He can have the strongest team members all he wants that doesn’t necessarily mean he does anything for them. Javier Colon was destined to win regardless of what team he was on season 1. That’s just the facts.
        His front runner, Judith, could probably teach him more about music than the other way around.
        Granted, he does have good team members this year, but when I see his advice and critique I don’t see it doing much or being so useful

• Cynde says:

Leave Adam alone! He runs the show

13. Ann V. says:

I’ve been really digging Shakira!

14. Sara says:

It has to be because they are contractually obligated to have her back, right?

15. Lexi says:

NOOOOOO!!! I quit watching the show because of her, and have so enjoyed this season without her nastiness.

16. RobPon says:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES *O*

17. Vanessa says:

YES!!! LOVE HER! :D

18. Poppy says:

I really don’t want her Christina to come back. This season has been a lot better without Christina around.

19. darthvader says:

Nooooo! We want Shakira to stay!

• Greatnessinc says:

Christina is one of the best singers in the world, without a doubt! She’s a horrible coach though, she’s just too naturally talented to be able to teach anyone how to sing. I want Shakira to stay but I want CeeLo back, Usher can trot along.

• Anne says:

Xtina is the worst coach ever. She tries to turn everyone in to her. During performances with her artist she over powers the singers and hogs the spot light. EVERY other coach steps back and lets his artists shine. NOT Xtina. She’s a bitch a bully and she’s two faced. Accuses Adam and Tony of exploiting women and sits with her tits hanging out every episode or her fat ass out of her costumes. I used to be a fan. The Voice turned me off her and I didn’t watch last season. I tuned back in this season. The vibe between the judges was better, they were funnier together, more collaborative and much more entertaining. Plus ratings have been better with Shakira and Usher. Xtina is not needed she drags the show down. SHe hasn’t had a hit in her own right for awhile and only in collaboration with someone else. She was supposed to be out for two seasons, promoting the album and touring Europe, what happened it was a huge flop and she’s not touring now? I won’t watch if she comes back. I don’t know ANYONE who missed her this season.

20. Angelique says:

Does she have to?

21. Mrbonturcode says:

NO. No. Noooo. No. No. NO. No. no. No no no no no. NoooooooooooooooNOoooooNOOONo. No.

22. Fall says:

PLEASE let Shakira stay on the show somehow.

23. PattiH says:

This is the first season I’ve been able to watch the whole thing and it’s because of Shakira!

• alyssa says:

SAME!!!! I’ve never been able to watch a full season before. And it looks like I won’t be able to do it again after this…

24. David says:

Sorry to hear this. I have been enjoying Shakira so much more.

25. Amanda says:

Oh no! I like Shakira much better.

26. Mike says:

Oh No
    To the hell with eggtina. Shakira forever

27. laura says:

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! STAY PRESSED SHAKSHAK FANS!

28. Lori says:

NO…say it ain’t so..please. I’m so enjoying Shakira and Usher and being Xtina free. Christina’s ego gets in the way too much with everything. She always has to comment on the way she sang a song..etc. I don’t miss her at all….

• Laquisha says:

There is no problem with Christina’s ego, she is fun and sassy. Adam was 10 times worse than Christina, but just because he is a man you have nothing to say about her rudeness with everybody. Your hypocrite mind that doesn’t allow woman to say and wear whatever they wants without judgmental.

• Jen says:

She can wear whatever she wants. That’s not my issue with her. It’s how she went ripping apart contestants like Melanie and Amanda last season that I took issues with. She doesn’t need to like a performance but as a coach and a mentor regardless of the team the singer is on she should use some tack when criticizing others make it constructive and relevant

• Matrix says:

She takes out her issues with Adam on his contestants, like Melanie and Amanda. It was pitiful how obvious it was. She will hurt the show’s ratings.

29. Sarah says:

Please no. This is very sad news.

30. BGM says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHY GOD WHY

31. SJ says:

Well her singing career went up in flames, she has to have something to cling to…

32. @JennyS714 says:

I thnk it’s Adam and Blake’s turn to take a break. So maybe, Usher, Cee Lo, Shakira and Christina next season? Or does there HAVE to be 1 girl, 3 guys?

• DavidSask says:

I agree if the new cast has to leave, Adam and Blake should HAVE to take a time out of show as well!!! It looks less likely Ceelo will be back with his new things going on as reported, Xtina has nothing going on that is the sad thing!!

• Deena says:

Blake said in an interview once he leaves he’s gone for good. He doesn’t want to take a break & come back.

33. Bitsy says:

Blerg. Blake has made this season terrible and now this?

34. Helena says:

i was starting to love Shakira! Can she replace Christina M. or Carson instead??

• duke says:

hahaha I don’t know why I laughed at your comment!!!

• A says:

LMAO!! Can they just get rid of Carson and Christina M. altogether?
      I can’t stand him with every episode “I know this will be a tough decision for you [insert coach’s name]”. You know what Carson, not every decision is tough! And we don’t need a friggin recap and spoilers for what’s ahead. Also what is it with his awkward hugs of the contestant. I can’t remember which episode it was recently but one contestant was walking off the stage and he practically almost grabbed and gave her a side hug. It was just so awkward.
      Christina M. on the other hand. My God she’s so annoying. She just comes across as phony and fake to me.
      I know I must sound crazy but Carson just bugs me so much.

• DavidSask says:

This is why a sensible person dvr’s this show and can cut through all their filler bulls**t! The producers are clueless in that regard, and obviously keep them around so timeslot can stay at 2 hours!

35. JW says:

The chemistry is really good right now. It’s a shame that has to be lost. If Shakira stays Christina will eat her alive, and you’d be in danger of losing ALL of your fanbase. Just sayin’….

36. Melissa says:

UGH NOOOOO!!!! I love Shakira and Usher. So much better this season!!!

37. Kate says:

I’m bummed about this. I’ve been watching for the first time since the first season because she hasn’t been on. I like the current judging panel a lot and wish they wouldn’t mess with it.

38. m says:

If she comes back, can they cut blake for a season or two? Keep Usher, Shakira and Adam. I’m sick of Blake’s attitude that he only cares for pretty girls and don’t give a crap about much else.

39. Sam says:

Please, NO!!! Love the new case and really just can’t stand Christina

40. Callum says:

I say keep Christina, Shakira, and Adam….the fourth one of the three guys or a new judge.

41. CJS says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

42. Terri says:

It’s not that I dislike Christina, but I’m really loving Shakira! Was afraid this was going to happen!

43. Keri says:

WHYYYYY??? Not only does she come off as a bitch, her team never goes anywhere.

• Megan says:

Chris Mann is actually doing very well for himself.

• Keri says:

I just meant that no one on her team is ever a contender to actually win, not that no one on her team is talented. I actually really like Chris Mann myself. I just think she’s a horrible coach

44. DavidSask says:

NOBODY wants her back, unless this is contractual or Shakira wants out this is huge mistake!!

45. A says:

While I’m really enjoying this season and the chemistry between these set of coaches, I’ve always loved Christina so it’s a little mixed for me. Why don’t they try out having two male and two female coaches next season? Maybe Adam, Blake, Shakira and Christina or Adam, Usher, Christina and Shakira. It will be a little different. Balance of testosterone and estrogen lol :P

46. Katie says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! It’s been great w/o her!!!

47. Callista says:

This news makes me so happy. I didn’t bother watching this season because Christina is who makes the show for me. I can’t wait for her crazy outfits & truthful raw comments.

48. Michelle says:

The current judges panel is wonderful! We don’t want the diva back! Her obvious attitudes about past contestants were unprofessional and, at times, down-right mean. If this show is about the contestants, then she shouldn’t be anywhere near the show. Keep the panel the way it is!!!!!! WE DON’T WANT “XTINA” BACK!!!!!

49. NedPepper says:

Blech. Out of the two, I was hoping Xtina was the one to get the boot for good. Although, I do want Cee Lo back. Usher isn’t nearly as fun.

• A says:

Cee Lo is hilarious but he has some of the worst song choices for his contestants imo.

• Greatnessinc says:

CeeLo is the best coach, Vicci Martinez is the only one enjoying mainstream success after the voice. CeeLo is so kind and honest plus he’s very good with his contestants. Usher has only been good to Michelle. Granted perhaps its a case of him needing time to grow as a coach. Xtina has struggled to stay relevant in her professional career, and is too self centered to be a good coach. I never liked how she makes everything about her. Shakira is a superior coach in every way!

50. Richard says: