Castle Season Finale Recap: Swing Shift

Castle Season 5 Finale Rick ProposesWarning: The following recap contains big ol’ spoilers from the Castle season finale.

As the Castle Season 5 finale drew to a close, Rick and Kate found themselves back at the swings, this time seated facing in opposite directions — was “play time” over?

RELATED | Fall TV: ABC Renews Castle, Revenge, Once Upon a Time and 8 Other Shows

THE CASE | After one resident of a fleabag apartment building takes a literal blood bath (or, well, shower), a fellow tenant is found dead in the rooftop water tank. The vic is at first ID’d as a prostitute dubbed “Crystal Sky,” but in actuality she was Erika, an honor student from Harvard, and she was using the building’s wi-fi to hack the files of a tony law firm.

Turns out, Erika’s friend Pamela — an intern at the firm — had died in a suspicious car crash. One of the firm’s politically connected clients, Colin Rigsdale III, had been driving, but it had all been covered up. Erika was to meet a whistleblower on the roof, but instead had been lured there by Rigsdale’s thug of a half-brother, who killed her just as he snuffed her contact inside the firm.

We pause here briefly to congratulate parents-to-be Ryan and Jenny!

Beckett squares off with the hired killer in the interrogation room. With a million thoughts about the FBI job she’s been offered [see below] rattling around inside her head, she vents, “This room has been my life… and I will not let you sit there and lie to me, in my own home.” Confronting him with damning evidence, she argues — in keeping with the episode’s larger theme — “How many years are you going to sacrifice for someone else’s future?”

Beckett’s “last case” closed…?

RELATED | Castle Creator: ‘Emotional Cliffhanger’ Finale Sets Up a ‘Complicated’ Season 6

THE CASKETT | Where to start? Kate sneaks down to D.C. for the task force job interview that Tony Almeida set her up with, and while she’s at first dismissive of her credentials (being just a homicide detective), she is assured, “The Attorney General wants people who can get the job done.” The interviewer notes, “You know that you’re headed for bigger things [and] opportunities like this come along once, twice in a lifetime.” Her uncertainty quashed, Beckett rebuffs his offer of the door and sticks around to impress his socks off.

When RySpo and Rick catch the case of the water tank girl, Kate arrives last on the scene, keeping her D.C. trip secret, but it visibly weighs on her throughout coming scenes. Ultimately, after learning 1) that Gates gave her the highest recommendation possible to the FBI and 2) that she is on a short list of candidates, Kate confides in Lanie her dilemma: “[Rick and I] are in this relationship but we never talk about where we’re going. But if I get that job…” “You’re going to have to,” Lanie finishes. “Maybe that’s not such a bad thing?” Kate, though, frets, “But what if it is?”

The jig is soon enough up when Rick discovers Kate’s boarding pass, and no version of “It was just an interview” will soothe the sting he feels. Kate contends, “This isn’t about us. This is about me and my life, a chance to do more.” “Without me,” Rick emphasizes. Driving his point home, he says, “You knew what this could mean and it didn’t occur to you to include me. Or worse, it did occur to you, and you chose not to. What’s that say about us? Not much, if you ask me.” And he walks out.

Rick reviews the situation with his mother, but she offers cold comfort: “You want her to put you first with neither of you knowing where you’re going!” Martha points out that her son has never held back in his relationships, except when it comes to Katherine. “Is that because deep down inside, you don’t think this is gonna really work?”

Kate meanwhile confabs with her father, who’s proud as can be of his girl. “If I take this job, there’ll be no time for anyone else.” And if she doesn’t, there’ll be resentment. “Or worse,” she muses. “We’ve been doing this dance for the past five years — what happens when the music stops? What if all we were in love with was the dance?”

Later, after Rick has already said “goodbye” to one of the other women in his life — Costa Rica-bound Alexis, with whom he shares, “There comes a point in life where we have to see things as they really are” [eep!] — he gets a call from Kate, who has just been offered the plum D.C. gig. “We need to talk,” she says, cuing up an intense, emotional sitdown at the swings.

THE CLIMAX | “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have kept secrets,” Kate starts upon taking a seat. “It’s who you are, you don’t let people in,” Rick responds. He then continues, “I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about us, what we have, where we’re headed…. I’ve decided that I want more. We both deserve more.” “I agree,” Kate nods. “So whatever happens,” Rick says, “whatever you decide…

“Katherine Houghton Beckett — will you marry me?”

What did you think of Rick and Kate’s “Watershed” moment? Does this turn of events bode well for the just-renewed series, going into Season 6?

1. Astrid says:

HOLY CRAP!!

2. Guadalupe says:

I read somewhere that for this episode we should pay attention to the body language, and I think there was a lot of that. Just look closer. I think Stana did a great job in that way.

3. TimFromWinterpeg says:

I think the show Castle has lost me. It has become a prime-time soap.
    The cases are contrived.There is no way that Beckett can take the job in DC and the regular show go on. It doesn’t make sense.

Anyway, I enjoyed the show up until now.

4. leriam10 says:

I liked the fact that he proposed to her before she said whether or not she will take the job. that means that she would stick with her no matter what. if that doesn’t show kate what his true feeling are for her then I don’t know what else he has to do. I loved the ending eventhough now I am dying for September to come. this four month wait is gonna be painful. I guess I have to start a Caskett heavy episode marathon to help me through the summer break!

5. Suz says:

She says yes to both the job and proposal. Like his daughter’s 6-week trip, she has to be in DC for 6 weeks of training (While she’s gone, he’s finishing and promoting his newest book.) Not all Feds are based/live in DC.

Back in NYC, she does her own cases and Castle works with the boys (as they also consider him their partner) with occasional help from Beckett. She also relies on Castle for his POV on her cases.

Next season they have a normal life of 2 working adults and wedding planning. Doubt any kids any time soon as she is still about her job and that becomes their new argument as to when/if to have kids as neither can agree on wedding date. She then decides that she prefers NYPD work and rejoins team at end of next season. Wedding/year of marriage follows. Kids come. End of series.

6. Cara says:

Love the fact that he proposed but it wasn’t very romantic…. “I want more” ????? what about I love you instead?

7. Librarian says:

Liked that he said, “Whatever you decide” (Says what he feels about their relationship; he’s in it for the long haul). My guess Kate says, “Not Yet” but by mid November (just in time for sweeps) she says yes.

8. Tina B. says:

I was not impressed with the finale and even less impressed with Kate. She lied to Castle yet again, that is how she started in their relationship too. I do think both Castle and Beckett should’ve communicated where they were going with each other, it was obviously bothering both of them. I hated this stupid job offer finale, I wanted to see more Caskett relationship stuff, we have gotten none! What about Kate being concerned about Castle not letting her in either, they are both the same and they don’t acknowledge that. I wanted to see Kate fight with Castle about letting her in, and then see WHY Castle has a revolving door of women like they mentioned earlier in the season and maybe have Martha tell him that he needs to let Kate in or he’ll lose her or something like that. This job thing was stupid and forced, I was bored and annoyed with Kate, she lied to Castle, Espo and Ryan. Also in the interview, she doesn’t acknowledge that the cases she solved are a team effort and not just her, didn’t like it, the proposal was meh, maybe if I see some real emotion and turmoil coming from Beckett but didn’t like the finale overall, happy about the proposal though, need more from Kate.

• Just one thing says:

RE: Castle’s walls, fears, relationship history.. I have been wondering about why that aspect of this season’s arc was dropped for several weeks now.

Luckily, there’s no dodging it next season. :P

But I do think Kate should be allowed to process her career opportunities independently of Castle at first — and especially independently of Esposito and Ryan until a decision is made. I think the show has done a good enough job of highlighting her skills independently of the guys, so it’s not a stretch that, as a leader of their team with a record she has, she’d stand out. A few seasons ago, they pulled back on the more overt cues that she was leader of their team, which is fine, because the trio (w/out Castle) are a talented team of detectives that work best as a whole. But the fact remains that she calls the shots, and that deserves kudos and further career advancement.

I also think Kate has shown how into this relationship she is. She didn’t have an opportunity to wait with Castle while he stood on a bomb, and unfortunately she didn’t get to help Castle find Alexis (in the show’s attempt to prove how badass Castle could be without Beckett, I guess), but there’s no doubt in my mind that she WOULD do either of those things.

Her willingness to break Castle out of prison, later aid/harbor him as a fugitive, and her attempts to help Castle while he was in Paris because she knew how much Alexis meant to him… And the smaller things, like her opening her life to him and practically abandoning her apartment… That’s all proof enough to me that she’s in this for the long haul if he is.

9. Shannon says:

So, this is how I think it will play out.
    Beckett says ‘no’ in the nicest possible way while trying to not close doors in the future. She takes the job in DC.
    Next season there are several episodes that happen with her working for the Feds before something happens that brings her back to NY (something happens to her father or castle or something from her past)

I loved the conversation between Rick and Martha, we really don’t get enough of them

Overall, I liked the episode. It didn’t blow me away like some in the past have, but it was far from the bottom of the barrel. I felt that the emotions and actions were fairly true to real life and I feel torn as to who I feel worse for. I’m looking forward to how this plays out next season.

• Just one thing says:

I think you’re right, though I think something big will happen in the premiere to bring her back. (Regretfully.)

It’d be cool if they open on her in DC much later, and establish what her answer was that way. Assuming she takes the job, of course.

I wonder if it’s possible for her to work for the FBI as an NYPD liaison. That would allow her to keep the promotion without upsetting the series applecart, so to speak.

10. Tom says:

Well, at least I can envision more than one outcome of this finale (e.g., compared to Beckett being shot — like there was any chance she wouldn’t pull through). But after four years of teasing a relationship between Beckett and Castle, if Marlowe breaks them up it’s the end of the series. I think ratings will also suffer if Beckett takes all of next season to make up her mind. Marlowe put Beckett and Castle together, now he’s stuck with it. So I think the only legitimate question is whether Beckett takes the DC job (and Marlowe revamps the series to accommodate that change) or she decides to stay a NYC detective and go back to business as usual after the second episode of next season.

The OMG, Washington DC! thing is so laughable it’s insulting. It’s not like Beckett volunteered for a mission to Mars. I do believe there is a certain etiquette with respect to when you need to tell your S.O about a potential job opportunity — and going for a interview in another city seems to cross that line.

At least Marlowe didn’t dredge up the “who killed Kate’s mother?” story again this year. All-in-all I think this show was a disappointment this season. That’s a positive.

Honestly, I think a format change might be good for this show. I can see Beckett working for the FBI also working for the series (also, I’m sure the FBI has an office in NYC so it’s not clear to me why Beckett would have to relocate, If the FBI wants her that badly, I’m sure they could accommodate — it is about a 30-minute airplane ride to DC and I’m pretty sure the FBI have phones and computers). There are plenty of cases where Beckett and Castle could continue to work together. The whole idea of Castle as a successful writer has kind of been lost in this show. That concept could be revived. And tossing a new detective into the 12th precinct could make for an interesting plot twist. I can see things working. I can also see this leading to the show’s demise. At least there’s some question about what might happen.

11. Joe Petitjean says:

Catle had one of those OMG moments that u only see on Scandal.

12. Luis says:

Well of course, leave it to Castle to overcompensate for his perceived deficiencies. Yes, Beckett wanted a commitment. Somehow, I think a declaration of love short of falling on one knee would have been enough. I hope this isn’t a jump-the-shark moment for the show; I’ll cross my fingers.

• Dark Defender says:

the only thing that has jumped the shark, is the over use of the term “jumped the shark.” :P

13. Paul says:

Only thing that proposal scene has shown me is how haggard looking Castle looks, I dont know if it’s because he packed on some major pounds or he’s aging horribly, but man he didn’t look that great. The close up of his face had me thinking how the studio needs to get this guy on a fitness regimen and eating well.

14. CJ says:

I know I am in the minority, but I found Castle a bit of a chore to watch since Kate and Rick got together. The cases have mostly been recycled from earlier seasons and other shows, and there hasn’t been a lot of consistency in Castle and Beckett’s relationship. I know that most people love the two of them together, so I’m not saying I want them to break up necessarily, I just hope the writers can find the same magic that the show had in the first few seasons. It just feels like “lazy” writing these days.

• mike says:

once the sexual tension is relieved….something needs to take it’s place because as a detective show, it lacks….unless they marry and become ‘the thin man’ story.

• Squintern says:

Very lazy writing. Glad I’m not the only person.

15. Sheldon W. says:

I give the S5 finale a B+ – the case of the week was just too perfunctory and the time could have been better spent dealing with all the show’s relationships.

Funny thing, though, when Martha is the voice of reason, you know the relationship stuff is really cooking. That *almost* persuaded me to give the ep an A.

16. Cassie says:

lol the is false proposal that he did to kate in season 3, was actually better than this one in terms of romance and hitting the right emotional beats. last nights fail of a proposal made me shake my head, so forced and rushed. i think the writers just pulled that out of their ass like they have been all season.

17. Ryan says:

What a dumb and desperate proposal. How can you possibly marry someone who doesn’t let you in and you know they don’t let you in? Makes no bloody sense. Geez Castle and Beckett actually need to talk sh*t out but nope this show hardly ever delves into what the characters are thinking or feeling. Personally I felt like both actors seemed completely flat, uninterested and tired, that proposal will go down as one of TV’s worst proposals. Love is supposed to bring out the best of people in a relationship, proposals aren’t suppose to be a slap in the face to your loved ones and stop kidding yourselves, marriage proposals are meant to be enjoyable not the gruesome uninteresting crap they gave us. I want a refund from all the crap I’ve witnessed.

18. Nia says:

Beckett and Castle have regressed so much they need relationship counseling not a proposal.

19. BrianR says:

Does anyone think the Senator Brakett will blackball her new job offer in the season opener. There is no way he could allow her to get the resources to get him her new job would avail her of.

• Sally Ramsey says:

Good question. Or it could go the other way, that he would want her there so he could either keep an eye on her or take her out. Or – if we want her to go and come back, she could be assigned to check up on him. That would be dicey and dangerous. It would also expose Montgomery, which she doesn’t want to do.

• DarkDefender says:

How about she takes the job, says yes to Castle and in DC she finally takes Bracken down by espisode 2 or 3 (after calling Rick to help. And his dad gets involved). Concluding the investigation into her mothers death, she returns to the 12th and is ready to be in a relationship with Rick were they can dive into it together.

Also telling, she called him Castle at the swings, not Rick. I think she would have called him Rick if she was breaking up with him for the job.

• Ivan Everett says:

Except what happens while Kate s imDC. ‘- no Beckett no Castle. Possibly S 6 will not follow on to 5. It es done when he went to the Hampton s with Gina

20. wubita47 says:

I thought they were breaking up till season 6 and thru few episodes into the new season, but I was wrong. Leave it to Master Marlowe to threw us up a curve ball. I struck out..

21. Krithika says:

Crap I didn’t see that coming! Not what I had imagined The Proposal would be (wish it would have been a little more…Casketty) but I’ll take it!

22. Nikolas says:

i have to say this
    Has anyone see Devil’s advocate? You know when Keannu Reeves looks in the mirror at the beggining of the movie….
    I got this feeling that this is what is happening here.

23. Jul says:

I wish the writers/producers would just have the guts to tell Nathan Fillion to take a hike. I think the comedy he brings is a nice touch sometimes but that’s not enough. I wouldn’t mind seeing the show bring a new character, a strong male character.
    Two things have been bothering me the last 2 seasons : First, I no longer find it credible that a woman like Kate (or any grown up woman for that matter) would fall for someone like Castle. Yes, he can be fun, patient and caring but mostly he’s just a guilible annoying man-child unable to put his foot down for what he wants. Here’s a character 10 years older than his partner but with as much depth as a 9-years-old.
    Second, Fillion doesn’t even bother to act the part anymore and that’s just not acceptable.

• Mike says:

Castle has put on a few pounds which I expect he will lose over the summer. Beckett’s hair is more matronly than the initial years. Recall the show has been on the air for 4+ years and we all change in 4+ years.
      Castle is a father, son, author, detective, and boy-friend…he does a good acting job in those rolls. Beckett is a detective and girl-friend….a more focused role.
      They both do a great job.

• georgiamadman says:

No Nathan, no show. It wouldn’t exist without him. And the same for Stana — they’re not replaceable. Remember he brought the fans to the show. It wouldn’t have made it through the first season without him. In the first season no one knew Stana — I had only seen her in the Librarian series. But she’s now the emotional core of the show and can’t be replaced.

• Just one thing says:

I don’t agree with the first part, but I absolutely agree with the second.

If you look at long-standing shows that rely on two leads with chemistry (TXF, L&O:SVU, even Stargate and CSI to a lesser extent), the female actors all seem to have more stamina when it comes down to it; more flexibility and commitment for the longer haul. I don’t know if that’s what’s happening here with Fillion, or if he’s simply become complacent.

Either way, as you say, it’s becoming unacceptable. I’m sure he’s a nice guy; I’ve read wonderful things about him. But, for whatever reason, he has failed to bring nuance or new levels to the character. And while he makes Castle hilarious and fun, there’s got to be more than that.

No way, in any reality, will they bring in a new character. With Fillion being the title character, that’s never gonna happen. (Unless they last way longer than expected, Alexis starts her own adventures. In which case, Kate and the guys won’t be needed.)

So, really, it’d be nice to see some growth in the Castle character next year. Something that helps sell this romance and relationship a bit more on his end. Because, honestly, if Fillion doesn’t want to play the romance 100%, it may just be best for them to cut their losses instead of Katic picking up the slack. Nothing is more jarring and noticeable than that, in my opinion.

And a lot of the issues people had with this season’s relationship inconsistency likely won’t be forgiven next season.

• Ivan Everett says:

Maybe we saw Castle stsrt to grow up im this fisle I hope so.

• a says:

They could always bring in a different Castle. I think the core fan base would accept it. They seem to worship Marlowe so they’d “trust him” to make it work. But yeah, I don’t think Fillion has the same excitement about his TV show as he does about, say Firefly. With Firefly, Fillion reminds me of Al Bundy and high school football “Married With Children”. At some point, grownups move on. Fillion tends to live in the past. I guess enough passionate fans keep him there, but I think even Shatner has learned how to let go of Star Trek and that show lasted far longer.

24. Jess says:

Wow, Castle looked much brighter when Kate was shot than in this proposal. If someone over here is expecting a die-hard shipper like me to be excited about this proposal, you must be drinking Castle’s Kool-Aid. I actually was ecstatic for about the first 5 minutes, but the second I rewatched the scene, I was more appalled than Kate. I feel betrayed because a proposal by the swings was something I had dreamed of for Caskett. Never expected it would feel so…sad. For the first time ever, I’m actually hoping, no PRAYING, that Kate says “Not yet” and we get another happier proposal later on, maybe for the traditional seasonal two-parter or something. For the time-being, this proposal was morbid, sad and too soon.
    Okay, this dojo is ready for the endless bashing…

25. Marjorie says:

The real point is this: Relationship aside, the show is good when Castle and Beckett work cases together. If Castle takes the job in DC, they won’t work together. That’s the end of the show.

26. lame says:

This episode paints Beckett as a selfish self centered bitch. Wasn’t it two weeks ago he was willing to end his life in an attempt to save her, while placing her before his family’s happiness. Now she’s has doubts about his feelings. WOW!!!

• KHorn says:

Exactly.

• Krithika says:

Kate has never, ever, EVER doubted his feelings. She’s just scared that their relationship doesn’t have a definite direction. True, she should have spoken to Castle about this instead of almost-making-out with Mr. Fantastic, but she’s human and he was hot. Point is, love is not always enough for a strong, stable relationship. I think that’s what Kate’s problem was. She didn’t know how or whether to be in a relationship that leads nowhere. And Castle hasn’t been exactly forthcoming about his intentions and choices, if you’ve noticed. With all that said, I’m STILL waiting for an actual, adult face-to-face conversation on where these two stand.

• Just one thing says:

I agree with your analysis. And there’s no way they can avoid a face-to-face conversation next season. Absolutely no way.

• Krithika says:

For Christ’s sake I hope you’re right. Though, if you rewind back to earlier episodes, the show has always spectacularly evaded every single moment where they could have just sat down and said something that wasn’t filled with subtext. Either someone’s phone rings, or an ex-wife or a tall, dark and handsome doc enters stage, or Ryan, Espo, Martha, a dirty bomb, a freezer, even more bombs, walled-away hearts…and the list goes on. So, what I’m saying, is that if the writers think hard enough, they can probably avoid any real display of emotions in the season premiere by bringing in the cavalry to disarm “a missile that could change the future of the US as we know it.” Oh, and did I mention that said missile is currently headed straight for New York City? So, Kate and Rick work hand-in-hand with the FBI till the threat is under control. After that, they go back to his loft, break out the champagne and go back to hiding in their respective shells, till another moment to talk is ruined wonderfully by the CIA, the Homeland Security or the UN. Disgruntled shipper speaking here…

• a says:

Well, I thought they absolutely had to have one this season…so….I also thought they had to get together by Season 3. This show is a soap. They can take themselves more seriously than that, but looking back, it’s a shallow, drawn out soap.

• Ralph says:

You really have to wonder what the writers of this show were thinking. There is no transition from life-saving love to being casted away by the saved loved one. Makes me want to puke.

• Ralph says:

Amen. Why don’t we ask the great Andrew Marlowe about that? Of course, King Andrew wouldn’t tell you because he doesn’t know himself!!

27. John says:

On another note: I expected some resolution/explanation for Esposito’s attitude. He’s gotten really sour over the last few episodes, at least.

28. The Squatch says:

There are a lot of posts here so, admittedly, I skimmed over some. However, I didn’t see anyone mention this. I believe that the fact of the matter is Castle is a huge part of why Kate was even being offered this new job. That is not to say she is not a strong, intelligent and capable detective. But the reason they close as many cases as they do is because they bounce ideas off of each other perfectly. I mean, in this episode especially, it seemed like Castle was the one coming up with all the ways to catch the killer while Beckett smiled about it. I guess my point is, they work well as a team so who knows if she would be as good at this new job without him as everyone assumes she will be. (Again, not to take anything away from her. I know she is a good detective and was before Castle even came along. But clearly, as partners, this is when her career really seems to have taken off.)

• Sally Ramsey says:

I totally agree. Beckett has acknowledged this from time to time. In fact, if it wasn’t for him figuring things out, she would have blown up with the bomb except that she would already have been dead if he hadn’t figured things out in time for Boom to just get her apartment. He is a huge part of what she does and in her saner moments she knows it.

• DarkDefender says:

Yes. Beckett always ruins Castles theories with her logic! It is Castle that is the asymmetrical thinker, not Beckett. He might figure that out without him while in DC… I am hoping she already knows it deep down and just stays in NY.

• Ralph says:

Why don’t you read your post and see if you can make it readable.

• Just one thing says:

I think they complement each other well. Castle is an asymmetrical thinker whose theories tend to be crazy, but often on the right track. Beckett is an asymmetrical thinker whose theories are often more grounded. They have each grown and evolved over the years, but there is no doubt in my mind that Beckett would still have a solid close rate even if Castle wasn’t there. She was the top closer and successful detective before he came along.

They both deserve credit, as do Espo and Ryan.

• jaimecastle says:

Good thinking.

29. kath says:

I loved it!

I’m so glad that someone finally has the courage to write a real relationship.

This is the best season finale yet (way better than OUaT and NCIS).

30. Robert Sanchez says:

I don’t think Kate will take the job offer in D.C. because there seems to be a reason that the official that is offering Kate the job seems to have a senister reason he want her so bad. Could it be that he wants her there in D.C..with him for more persona; reason than professional? I think Kate will come to realize that fact and will eventually decline the offer in D.C.

Bob

31. Alex says:

I kind of expected her to take the job, and then it get revoked. The case of the week was not just wealthy, but also politically connected, wouldn’t surprise me if there was some form of revenge for her taking him down that lost her the job.

32. Bella says:

Castle never said he wouldn’t leave New York. He didn’t give her an ultimatum between him or the new job. He proposed to show his commitment to the relationship. I think that the feds are going to ask her to let the shiny candidate go on the felony charge of leaving the scene of an accident, and making it look like his passenger had been driving, and that Kate will refuse as it’s against her principles and then the new job offer is going to go bye bye.

33. Bill says:

First of all, I am amazed that this one episode resulted in over three pages of comments and that was only on this site! Well done AWM! I haven’t seen the ratings yet, but it has to be one of the highest. The show is grounded in NYC, and has taken plots from the NY scene. One of the writers has to be plugged-into the current NY culture; so the show is not going to leave NY in season 6. My suggestion is that S6 is courtship; learning about each other and S7 ends with the birth of the new Beckett. Castle is better with little girls and a season of discovery, S6, and a season of Beckett pregnant and chasing bad guys would be awesome!

• Mary says:

Exactly! People may say they didn´t like the episode, others loved it, but what matters, to ABC and the writters, is that people TALK about it!
      And they may say that they are done watching, but we all know that the majority will be back in September, even if to watch just the 1st episode and see how it turns out:)

• Just one thing says:

I agree with both of you, Bill and Mary. The social media conversation continued well into the week and after the episode concluded. On Wednesday, the finale was still a top episode on Hulu and the #10 episode on iTunes.
        I may have been disappointed with the finale, but given the current TV landscape, I’m very happy that the show generated interest, viewers, discussion and even controversy in its own way.
        Castle has to compete with Scandal, Greys and other shows for ABC’s attention, and it will have some very steep competition in its timeslot next season. If nothing else, I hope the next season maintains the show’s global fanbase and maybe even ups the ante and stakes both in story quality and character development.
        It’s great to see so many acknowledge how good the show is; but at the same time, I’m certain that it can be even better.

Also, let me just say how impressed I am that so many guys here participated in the discussion. If you guessed by the Twitter fanbase alone, you’d think the show was comprised 90% of women. :-P

34. Krithika says:

Wow 400 comments? “Always” was the episode that finally brought Caskett together and “The Lives Of Others” was the show’s 100th milestone episode and yet, “Watershed” caused the largest impact on the fandom. Just goes to show that a proposal, sad or otherwise, always affects the loyal fanbase of any show in so many ways… Can’t wait for Season 6!!

35. Bill says:

Over 11 million by the ratings!! Congrats AWM and the entire cast: you guys (and girls) whomped the 10 PM hour!!

• Squintern says:

Too bad they’ll never reach that high again.

• Ivan Everett says:

Why not ???

• Nelmar says:

I believe Castle has fans no matter what, and the fans will be back in Sept to watch it again and help the ratings. I am so amazed that ABC do not advertise the show, unfortunately, it would bring for sure much more audience, does any one know why ABC advertises the majority of its series but when it comes to CASTLE we practically don’t see it. Am I wrong? Does it happen when I am not watching the channel? Can someone help me with this?

• Ivan Everett says:

In the uk it shows on satellite and the channel advertise it heavily. It’s currently running s 5 ep8 and it is advertised on most ststiom breaksand on other stations on the uktv group I bought it this year on I tunes for about $4

• Mike says:

Why do you believe that? Seems to me the audience is building. It owns the Monday time slot, beating Hawaii 5-0 and the others. Any info you care to share?

• a says:

Hawaii 5.0 and Revolution have been moved to different nights. New shows have been moved in against Castle.

• Mike says:

Why do you say that????? I’d appreciate any info to support that! What do you got?

36. Nelmar says:

what i mean is that castle’s fans are there forever , like we all… faithful, but much more could come if ABC adv it during evening hours, i don’t care if Hawaii is out there, i will stick to Castle, and all of its fans, however many who watch other channels during that slot time could be brought to abc if advertisement was there. It would probably reach more than 13 million, that’s just my opinion…. I do not mean that Castle doesn’t have audience, I just think ABC seems to be happy with this audience and do not help to bring any more, that’s my humble belief …

37. DarkDefender says:

It just dawned on me re-watching the final scenes… When Beckett is in the interrogation room she says something about how long are you gonna sacrifice your life to make someone else happy… That has been Castle. Sacrificing his life for the past 5 years “procrastinatine on his writing” to help her solve crimes and her mothers murder (and bringing her coffee) “just to see a smile on her face”.. That is why she is not taking the job, that is the reason for her expression walking up to the swings and that is why she apologized and was about to tell Castle she was ready to tell him everything… The fleeting moment where she thought she blew it and that he was breaking up with her was written all over her face. The proposal she was not expecting, I think she says yes or not yet… And she challenges him to reveal himself as well.. Because she wants this too. I also can’t believe I am still trying to figure this show out… But I love all the comments.. That is what makes this a great finale.. :)

• Sally Ramsey says:

I just read an interview with Seamus that said that the show is supposed to be more ensemble oriented next year. That should mean more at the 12th and/or more from the characters at the 12th. I doubt that much has been revealed to the actors, though. Nathan was interviewed yesterday for Much Ado which is at the Seattle film Festival. He was asked about Castle anyway. He said he has no idea what is going to happen. He couldn’t even give a cryptic answer. So we know where, but not what. AM is plotting and planning to take us by surprise.

• DarkDefender says:

I look forward to the ride.

• Sally Ramsey says:

Nathan just cancelled his appearance in Dallas 7 minutes ago. He said his right eye is swollen and gross. He looked fine in the pictures taken in Seattle yesterday. ???? Pardon me if I worry.

• Nelmar says:

how do you know about it? where did you see it, Sally? i can tell you are a great fan of nathan, did you watch serenity and firefly? :)

• Sally Ramsey says:

I follow him on twitter.Definitely a fan. He has posted some pictures from today within the last couple of hours. Except for the dark glasses, he looks OK.

• Sally Ramsey says:

Yes to Firefly and Serenity and Drive and Slither and Trucker and …. you get the idea. My husband got me a team Hammer T-shirt with Nathan’s pickture on it for Mother’s Day and one of my sons got me the Dr. Horrible book. Subtle, I’m not.

• Mary says:

I agree that there wasn´t much revealed to the actors, but I think the aftermath of the proposal has already been filmed! I mean, the actors, Stana and Nathan in this case, need to be with the same weight and haircut and all, and today I saw a picture from Stana at the Billboards and seemed to me she cutted her hair…
        Maybe they filmed more than one scenario and that´s why Nathan says he doesn´t know what happens next?!:)

• Sally Ramsey says:

You may be right, although it depends on where they pick up the story. Last time around it actually seemed to me that Nathan was a lttle thinner in After the Storm than he was in Always, but that could have been my imagination. They did do some post production shooting, it is entirely possible there were multiple endings. We’ll just have to wait until September.

• Mary says:

I think that even if they pick the story like 3 months after, there must be still a scene where the decision is made and they go there in a flashback or so. And I´ve seen another image of Stana and she definetly cutted her hair:)
            And actually I read somewhere that Nathan said it wouldn´t be “heaven or happy ever after, but a rocky road”…so I´m more sure that they already know what will happen:)

• jaimecastle says:

Reading this I got tears in my eyes

• jaimecastle says:

Great!

38. Nelmar says:

love to hear this stories, my husband and daughter are great fans also, hopefully they will see him and stana in San diego at comic com. last year the days they went nathan was not there, :(

• DarkDefender says:

Last year, NF was at SD comic-con on Saturday night.. While we were waiting in line for the early Sunday morning Fringe Panel (around 3:00am) Nathan walked through the first section and took a ton of pictures with everyone. Love that guy.

• Nelmar says:

NF seems to be a very kind person for sure. I hope my daughter gets to see him this year. She will be at comic com for all the days. well tomorrow no castle, boring tv night :(

39. carol says:

The episode was really good .In one of the reviews I saw before the finale they said that Beckett feels her biological clock ticking according to what AWM told them that’s why she wanted to know from Castle where their relationship was headed .To me every time she brought it up in the last few episodes the look on her face said she wanted him to propose to her .Now that Castle has proposed to her she’s going to accept because that is what she really wants .She made the decision to stay at the NYPD when she was interrogating the suspect in the interrogation room ,she went to meet Castle with the intention of telling him she wasn’t taking the job .Lets hope season 6 finds them doing a better job of communicating what they want and feel to each other .I for one really hope she does say YES .

• Mary says:

Agreed! Also, her life has been on hold since her mother was murdered. Now that she has solved the case, she’s feeling free to start her life. She wants to be with Castle, but why not explore other paths since he seems happy only the status quo.
      Meanwhile, Castle’s fear of failing at a third marriage, and losing her, has kept him from moving forward. I do think he did go as far a getting a ring earlier, but has been afraid to propose.
      The lack of communication was fear. In this watershed moment, she realized staying right were she is is home and safe. He is still afraid, but knows he has to comitt or he wil loose her.
      I hope 6 opens with them at the alter and the complications AM refers to is figuring out how to keep them working together.

• Corkey says:

Beckett says “Yes” to the proposal and “No” to the job.

“Yes” to the proposal because she remembers Mike Royce’s advice to “not lose Castle because of the job” as well as Capt. Montgomery’s advice that “we speak for the dead after the wicked rob them of their lives. But we don’t owe them our lives”.

Beckett’s questions about the direction of their relationship is heading have been answered by Castle’s proposal which was unqualified, take the job, don’t take the job, become an astronaut, etc. “I just want to be with you” is the flavor of that message. People have forgotten that this proposal is a huge emotional risk for Castle. She could say “No”. To use a poker analogy, since they both read each other’s tells, “Call or fold, Kate”.

She says “No” to the job in D.C. Because she has had her own watershed moment in the Interrogation Room and she knows that she is not suited for that kind if work. She is a Homicide Detective who “speaks for the dead”. She would not play well in the political sandbox of the AG, especially if present day events of the AG say anything. More importantly, Agent Orange said she was amazing, “an asymmetrical thinker” and he could not have been more incorrect. Castle is the asymmetrical thinker, Ryan and Esposito are the detail guys, and Beckett connects all the dots. She is good at what she does, but she is only 25% of the team! She may have lied to Castle about some things, but she will NOT lie to herself!

• Nelmar says:

Yes Corkey, she is just 25%, agree, she needs those guys in her life to make it 100%, so she will stay in NY, I hope, I think…She will think with her heart and not with her intellect this time, she will be a girl who wants to get married and have a family…Kate will choose to trust Rick, will follow her deepest wish, she always wanted Castle, through out seasons 1,2,3 and 4.

• Corkey says:

Man I hope we are correct because if she goes to DC and is away on the job as much as we have seen previous federal agents in the show, that’s it for Caskett.

It just seems to me to be the only logical choices for her now, “Yes” to the proposal, “No” to the job. We’ll see mid-September!

40. Nelmar says:

We have to wait now for 4 moths to find it out. I just finished watching the last episode of season 2 on TNT this afternoon, Beckett never said yes to Rick when he invited her to go to the Hamptons with him for the Memorial day weekend so he decided to go with his ex wife, for the whole summer. Sometimes we cannot let opportunities go bye. So, I think this time, she will think with her heart and better think fast… if he had not proposed all could go differently but now that he did just a YES can make the fans happy…

• Corkey says:

@Nelmar

Amen to that!

• Sally Ramsey says:

Consider this:
        Beckett says yes. She has a rock on her finger. Gates has to maintain plausible deniability if Beckett and Castle continue to work together. So— no ring at the precinct. The engagement is on the downlow. If there is a wedding, is it secret? Do they have to stop working together? Do they have a secret marriage? The possibilities for comedy are endless as are the possibilities for complications. Of course when you think about it, it all makes zero sense. Demming is a cop and worked together with her on cases. They kissed in the precinct and dined by candlelight in the precinct with no worries. It was also OK that she had a relationship with Sorenson and they worked together. The whole ethics thing has always been a plot device to introduce complications into the relationship Whether it continues to be used that way is up to AWM. It could be fun or it could be silly — or both. The summer will be long but Nathan will have 4 movies out if you count voicework and Stana has one that I know of. There is always TNT and Hulu and DVD’s and Amazon streaming and youtube video. We’ll make it through and have fun when we do.

• Nelmar says:

Well ,my TNT channel is always On on the days they run Castle:) . I was just going to say the same, Demming and Beckett kissed in precinct season 2, why couldn’t Caskett be engaged or dating?, This is not clear… a little contradiction, it seems. Also ,has anyone noticed that in one or two of old episodes, they show the entrance of the precinct as precinct 9 instead of 12? Am I wrong? Did anyone notice that? Have to go to work now, will keep in touch with you all Castle fans. Nathan was on CBS last night on one of those late night shows, dont watch those shows but stayed awaken to watch it, well he did not say anything about Castle, just the movie coming out, so my hubby and I will watch the movie, Gotta go.

• Mary says:

I think it´s just partners that are from the same department that aren´t allowed to be in a romantic relationship. Demming was from robery, Becket is from homicide; Sorenson wasn´t even with the NYPD, he was FBI:)

• Nelmar says:

This is then the only explanation the writer can give to prevent Castle and Beckett to become “Caskett” in the precinct.

41. Corley says:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but who does not believe that Castle would not call on his buddy the mayor for one more favor regarding being engaged to Beckett? Remember, technically he isn’t a member of the NYPD, so their rules about relationships don’t really apply to Caskett. Gates seems to get it, so I’m thinking this “problem” would be easily solved.

• Nelmar says:

Good point :)

• Sally Ramsey says:

Actually Castle pointed out that the rule shouldn’t apply back in 5 X 2, but that didn’t keep Beckett from worrying about it. If there are no obstacles, there is no story. AWM has said that there will be a couple of good juicy problems this season, so if that obstacle does go away, there will be others. It is the nature of the show. Hopefully the solutions to coming obstacles will be as fun as a handshake instead of a kiss. Castle gave us the sexiest handshake ever – at least until his hand got sweaty. I look forward to new inventions.

• Nelmar says:

I’m also looking fwd to new inventions. This show can reach 20 seasons and I will not be tired of it, honestly. All characters are awesome and actors seem to have been hand- picked. I heard that more than 100 actresses were in the pool to become Beckett, don’t know if any famous ones or not. Do you know it, Sally? Was Nathan always the intended one for this series or there were other actors in the pool also? If one of you out there know about it, could answer please…

• Mary says:

I think I read somewhere that Nathan was the 1st pic – then he had to film with more than 100 actresses in order to pic the “right one”:)

• Sally Ramsey says:

I heard there were 130 actresses and Stana was 123. Apparently when she came for her call-back she wore a shirt that was too long and Nathan cut it down for her. Auspicious start!

• Corkey says:

It was posted that Nathan read with every actress auditioning for the part of Beckett. If that is so, then we have him and AM for picking Caskett long before there was a Caskett. Agree with earlier post, this series could have a very long run if the “stars” align just right, pun intended!

42. Nelmar says:

Okay, so we all -kind of- know that there were many actress in the pool…Also, I saw an interview with Stana, where she said that she lived in Newport (Orange County CA) and had to head to LA for call-back audition and did not have time to get a new blouse or something like that. As she was at the set she asked Nathan to cut her blouse so she could tuck it in her pants or skirt not sure, what seemed to have impressed the chooser or choosers, I don’t know if just AM or others. But I wonder and have the curiosity to know how many famous stars were there to compete with Stana. Maybe we will never know it.

43. Nelmar says:

Hi Sally, there is a new feed going on since June 11, tv line (caslte season 6…), many people have been posting comments there, including me, but i haven’t seen any of yours yet. Much ado about nothing will on theaters as of tomorrow, 14th, my husband and I will watch it. know you are a fun of nathan’s, so don’t miss it.

• Sally Ramsey says:

I won’t miss Much Ado. I’ve been reviewing my annotated version especially for Dogberry’s malaprops so I won’t miss anything. I’ll look for the new feed. Thanks. Did you see Nathan on Conan last night? Looking gooooood!

44. Rose says:

So for the first show this season Castle falls victim to some kind of bacteria exposure and now he has only 24 hours to live. Really? WhoTF thought this plot line up? He is the reason for the show and now they totally cheapen it with this crap. And just like that I’m no longer a fan. Like too many shows before it this show is headed into the crapper simply because of plot which is too stupid to sit thru.

• Kelly says:

Sad that you could like a show for so long and then “like that” become not a fan because of one episode that you don’t like. It may be a little transparent that they’ll find the antidote, because they won’t kill off the character the show is named for, but that doesn’t mean that it can’t be used as a reasonable plot device towards resolving the dilema of her working in Washington and still having cast working in New York. Give it a chance. The writers have always come through on Castle and it’s been one of the more enjoyable and light hearted dramas on TV.