Revenge Finale Recap: A View to a Kill

Revenge Declan Dies Season 2 FinaleWarning: The following recap, by the very definition of the word “recap,” contains mighty spoilers from this Sunday’s Revenge finale.

The Revenge season finale was so jam-packed, it included not one but two arrests, the death of a major character (maybe two!) and the kind of big reveal for which the term “game-changer” was coined. So let’s dive in, shall we?

RELATED | ABC Cancels 6 Series, Renews Revenge, Castle and More!

SUITABLE FOR FRAMING | After Aiden reveals to Emily that Takeda wanted revenge as much as they did – his fiancée had been on Flight 197 – they amicably break up and he leaves for parts unknown… only to be arrested for blowing up Grayson Global (more on that later!). As soon as he’s released from custody (more on that later, too!), the Brit heads right back to Emily’s, where he warns Daniel to set her free. (Since there’s a gun in the room during their scuffle, and since Daniel ends the episode with blood on his shirt, it seems safe to assume that their brawl doesn’t conclude with a handshake.)

COLLATORAL DAMAGE | Enamored of Charlotte, Regina accuses Declan of beating her up and robbing her. (Lies, of course… all lies!) But he’s no sooner set the record straight than he’s caught in the Initiative’s explosion at Grayson Global and – gulp! – dies! In a blind rage, Jack – Conrad’s desired victim – shows up at Grayson Manor packing heat. “Do it,” Victoria says when he points his pistol at her. “I deserve it.” Instead, he allows her punishment to be her own miserable existence… which seems likely to get even more miserable when castoff son Patrick comes knocking. (And on Mother’s Day, no less!)

RELATED | Complete 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What Got Cancelled? What’s Returning?

TRUE LIES | Victoria is so livid when Conrad admits to her that “there is no Initiative,” just a bunch of corporate blood-suckers – and he’s now one of them! – that she spits on him! But, ironically, it’s neither Conrad nor any of his Initiative cronies that are ultimately arrested for the cyber attack that blacked out New York and led to the blowup at Grayson Global – it’s Nolan. Adding insult to injury, he’s implicated from beyond the grave by a video Padma was forced to make!

AW, SHOOT! | Determined to make Conrad pay for taking away both Amanda and Declan, Jack plans to assassinate the new Governor just as he is giving his acceptance speech. Luckily – or not, depending on your feelings about Connie – Emily gets to Jack in time to stop him… by revealing that he hasn’t lost everything, because – dun-dun-DUN! – she’s Amanda!

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

Okay, your turn. What did you think of the episode? The season? Highs? Lows? Hit the comments!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Recaps

1. Jared says:

I’m not sure if this was cleared up yet, but Declan being in Grayson Global was NOT a loose end or contrived. He called Charlotte because he wanted to see her after he found out she was pregnant, and she lied and said she was with Daniel so he clearly went to Grayson Global to see her and then the bomb went off.

2. bsmswb says:

Did anyone else think Patrick’s voice was really robotic sounding when he said hello to Victoria?? Like it’s not his real voice??

• iMember says:

Well, of course it wouldn’t be the real Patricks voice. We still have to wait and see who gets cast as the role for Season 3. But they probably just had someone on set play him and make a dark and mysterious voice.

3. literate says:

Declan may not be dead. He and Charlotte are based on a pair of characters in “The Count of Monte Cristo,” Maximilien and Valentine. Valentine fakes her own death to avoid being killed at one point in the book, and is later reunited with Maximilien with the help of the Count (here, Emily). While the genders would be reversed, they could be following the same plot here.

• iMember says:

Declan is dead. Deader than dead. I know the show is based off of The Count of Monte Cristo, but that doesn’t mean everything the show does needs to mimic that. Plus, they’ve been buzzing about someone from the original 9 dying, so Declan is definitely dead.

• jake says:

How can you be so sure???? Geez, you act like you are part of the show.

• iMember says:

They’ve been parading around that someone from the main cast was going to die. I doubt they would say that and then make Declan show up alive again. Plus, given that Declan died in a hospital and Nolan was there, why and how would they fake Declan’s death? Declan’s earth definitely gives Jack all the more reason to go after the Grayson’s, and now that he knows Emily’s sect, OMG, the possibilities are endless! I can’t wait for season 3.

• KLO says:

If they want us to believe he’s dead then yes they would say that. It wouldn’t be the first time that a show does that. I do believe that he is dead though.

4. Mike says:

Damn, it looks like I’ll have to watch this tomorrow, I stopped watching Revenge, but this episode sounds great, I’ll have to check it out online tomorrow.

5. Kate says:

Oh my god how are we going to make it through the summer!?!

6. jake says:

I thought it would be ashley was the goner. So sad about how much Jack has lost this year and thus making him the most thirsty for revenge.

7. pecola says:

I liked a lot about the finale but the Initiative stuff, which has been the weak point all season long, continued to befuddle me. Conrad’s involvement felt contrived–this guy couldn’t even see that Jack and Ashley were plotting against him, but now he’s one of the masterminds of this group formerly known as “the Initiative?” C’mon.

It was a cheap ending to a bad storyline.

• Louis E. says:

I don’t think Conrad makes policy for the Initiative even if he wants to present himself that way to Victoria.

8. Chloe says:

Can’t say I’m sorry to see Declan go. But I really wish that boring Jack had gone with him. He always has that same blank, dumb look on his face & the show crawls to a stop every time he’s on screen. But it’s obvious that the end-game for the writers is for him & Emily to be together so I guess we’ll never get rid of him. Personally, I see no chemistry between them.

The reason behind Declan’s death seemed really odd to me. Here he was, in Manhattan, where there are several top hospitals and they didn’t have a stent for him? They had to send to North Carolina for one? Unless it was some unusual, special stent, it made no sense to me.

Conrad has always been one of my favorite characters, which is not to say that I thought he was a nice person. But finding out that he is part of the Initiative has really made me wonder about whether he should even remain on the show. Talk about evil!

9. anil says:

I don’t think I fully understand the ‘theres no initiative’ story yet? Who blew up that plane and bla bla bla? Oh well. confused lol

• Andrew says:

I’m a little confused as well, especially since Nolan was basically arrested for being the suspected leader of the Initiative (or involved somehow) thanks to Padma’s video.

Based on what he told Victoria, they seemed to imply that he knew — as far back as 1993 — that all the “initiative” was was a small group of his “business partners” who tried to profit off of creating terrorist attacks on home soil. If I remember right, it was stated that he laundered money for these people, but didn’t know that they were going to down a plane with it (just as he told Helen Crowley when she visited him in jail).

Then, as he told Victoria, he decided to join them and help coordinate the next “attack” since he figured he could “triple” the family’s fortune. I think it all occurring during the election was just a plus for him (like Victoria said, he told them to bomb his own building so he could look like a first-responder on the scene and secure his victory).

So, the way I understand it is: There was no Initiative since Conrad knew they weren’t a real organization, but merely a group of business acquaintances who were trying to profit off of the attacks they created. However, there was an Initiative since they organized the downing of the plain.

Just like before, Conrad and his “friends” knew they would need a patsy, so they had Padma film the video and implicate Nolan so as to draw suspicion away from them. I’m sure Padma had no idea that they weren’t a real organization, that’s just how it played out. Obviously, the FBI was aware that some type of group existed, but clearly they don’t know enough since they obviously arrested the wrong person!

Sorry for the long reply, but: I hope this helps. We’ll just have to wait and see what the FBI knew and how it all plays out next season :)

10. Amelia says:

“And on Mother’s Day no less” punny.

11. Juan says:

Increadible finale, free Nolan!!! I really didnt see that coming. And just wow to everything. Still processing

12. Melissa Farrell says:

Where can I see the last 10 min of tonights show!!?? My dvr cut it off!! Help

13. nikki says:

Ding dong the dumbass is dead! Couldn’t happen to a more deserving character. Charlotte should be next. I love Conrad and Victoria. Best villains ever. Conrad is just a villain for a stupid reason. They tried the same thing on Alias with Irina and Sloane. Didn’t make sense then, don’t make sense now.

14. Tina B. says:

I loved this show! SO EXCITED THAT EMILY FINALLY TOLD JACK THE TRUTH! I think we are all worried about Mike Kelley’s departure so I think Ausiello needs to ask the new show EP to do an interview about what course they are taking for next season. They can’t take the end away from us, what am I saying, of course they can, Jack could get a head injury and get amnesia. We need answers Ausiello, please help!

15. Aiden should be with Emily, definitely, they have chemistry–Jack is too short for Emily and Charlotte is too tall for Declan. Casting directors should take into account height when they cast potential romantic characters.

• MaryAnn says:

And height matters so much? I honestly had not noticed any issues with height whatsoever.

• t says:

i’m only guessing that you’re single because you’ve been waiting around for a guy to meet your height requirements.

• VCI says:

So the Porter brothers are too short to have a love lives. lol. There are many reasons Jack and Emiy shouldn’t be together, but their height difference isn’t one of them.

16. Spencer says:

Wait so is Padma dead??? Or was that something she shot before they killed her? And also can we just talk about how great the Initiative explanation was? So happy that got resolved so simply. Such a great finale. I’m excited to see Emily/Nolan and now Jack take the Graysons down!

17. Para says:

I hope Aiden comes back!

18. Sara says:

Jebus. That was one jam-packed episode. RIP Declan. 95% of the time….I hated him. But tonight I found myself hoping he didn’t die haha. Glad Emily told Jack the truth. Beautifully done, in my opinion. I hope #FreeNolan becomes a trend on twitter. Aidan vs Daniel was hot.

19. Meredith says:

Mind blown. Also, Jack should wear glasses in every episode. I don’t think Conrad is literally saying there is no Initiative; now that he’s become a member I think he was trying to rationalize his involvement (maybe alleviate some guilt, maybe) and spin it like it’s a business deal so that Victoria would be on his side. I think it’s true that these people are business owners (or whatever he called them) but they are also terrorists and hateful people.

• ZmaX says:

Exactly! finally someone who’s able to read between the lines :) The Initiative have blown up a plane and now a building, they are a bunch of wealthy business people who cause chaos and end up reaping from the benefits. Conrad might not want to see it as a terrorist group now that he’s joined, but it is.

• MaryAnn says:

Their evil is not minimized by Conrad being a member of the inner circle. It’s just that he is dismissing their mysteriousness, and the idea that they are a danger to the Grayson family. Remember he was annoyed at Victoria over the Initiative woman she killed — obviously there was no need since Conrad was part of the power circle. He has fully embraced their ideas of great disasters for great profit, giving every one of us a cold chill down our spines. No one is safe from them any more now than before — it is just that Conrad is protecting his own family (as long as they tow the line).

• kazz says:

I think this episode showed (me at least) a side to Conrad I hadn’t considered before. I usually see him as the womanising, wheeling dealing politician who is often domineered by his conniving, scheming & hateful wife. Frankly a bit of an idiot in my opinion. He gets others to do any ‘dirty work’ & sometimes that doesn’t come off as well as he expects.
      This episode showed me a nasty, deadset evil side as if he has been ‘playing’ people for quite some time. I think he has more power with this ‘Initiative that’s not an initiative after all” group & has a rather more sinister plan than becoming Governor at all costs.
      I’m starting to see the husband/wife relationship in a whole new light.

• ZmaX says:

Definitely, at least Victoria has some remorse for what she’s done, Conrad doesn’t care the slightest and is willing to bring about more pain and suffering just to gain more wealth and power.

• Bee says:

But I kinda prefer Conrad’s type of “evil” though, he’s evil through and through. I think people like Victoria who feel remorse, then still do MORE bad stuff are the worst.

20. Insomniac says:

Everyone keeps saying Declan was at Grayson Global because Charlottle told him she was with Daniel, which was true, but Daniel was not at Grayson Global. Declan knew Daniel was at the press conference with Conrad and Victoria. So Declan showed up there right before the press conference started. He told Victoria he needed to see Charlottle but she turned him away. So that still doesn’t explain why he was at Grayson Global. Did I miss something?

• Jan says:

Yes, you’ve got the order reversed. Declan first showed up at the headquarters and got framed by that crazy girl. He sneaked back in and got caught by security, but Conrad said it was ok and told Declan to vote for him. Victoria came up and was mean and let it slip Charlotte was pregnant. Declan left shocked and called Charlotte from the street. At that point, Daniel had not left Grayson Global (remember he said he would meet Conrad by 4?). Declan talks to Charlotte on the phone and wants to see her (she wasn’t at campaign HQ which he just left). She says she is with Daniel, so Declan decided to head there (which was just a few blocks away).

21. Suzanne says:

Great finale! I’m so sad about Declan dying though, – how sad for Jack and Charlotte, and the baby they’re expecting. I still can’t believe that Emily told Jack she’s really Amanda. I hope that they eventually end up together, but I think that he’s going to be really angry with her for some time, and will probably blame her for “Amanda’s” and Declan’s deaths. But they belong together, so hopefully that will happen someday. I can’t wait for season 3!

22. Michael says:

Killing Declan reminded me of when Vibe was killed off in Justice League of America.

Audiences couldn’t stand him and he was killed off.

23. @JennyS714 says:

What an amazing finale. Most entertaining 2 hrs of the whole season!!

I think it was time to tell Jack cause he was uncovering so much and him being so clueless was getting annoying.

Can’t believe Charlotte basically got Declan killed by telling him on the phone she was at GG. So naturally he went to look for her there when the bomb exploded. Declan’s passing was sad but it was a long time coming.

Aiden is not dead, I think the blood is just from the fight they had… Aiden’s a fighter, pretty sure he’d find a way to knock that gun out of Daniels hands.

As for Nolan I did not see that coming. Can’t believe he’s in David Clarke’s position. Ahhh can Emily be on full on Revenge mode next season and not waste time? Cause he and her loved ones have lost so much!

24. Kalee says:

Omfg, what an amazing 2 hour finale! So good!

25. Scooby says:

Just what if…throwing this out there.

What if Patrick turns out to be the assassin?

• Oooh, I think you’re right. You’re probably exactly right.

• Janet Anderson says:

What assassin? You said “”the” assassin so l’m a little confused about who you are talking about. Who did he assassinate? Are you talking about the guy that Emily noticed at Greyson Global who was supposedly fixing the computers and the one who really planted the bomb? When I think of assassins, I think of someone shooting someone, so that is why I’m thrown off here.

• Love Revenge says:

I wondered about Patrick possibly being the assassin too!

26. David says:

Fantastic episode! ok but do you think Padma was part of the Initiative (or whatever it was) as well? or was the tape forced?

• Janet Anderson says:

The tape was completely coerced. Before Trask killed her, there was a video in the room and hetold her, if you want to see your father, there is 1 more thing you have to do. They forced her then killed her. I’m 99% sure she’s dead.

27. Insomniac says:

So has anyone heard what actor was cast to play the role of Victoria’s son, Patrick?

28. Insomniac says:

Has anyone heard who has been cast to play the role of Victoria’s son, Patrick? I can’t find anything about it online. Is it being kept hush-hush for some reason?

29. TamIAm says:

So that Regina chick’s entire role since Masquerade was to put Declan in the wrong place at the wrong time? I suppose that and to act as a decoy because I also thought she was going to kill Charlotte. I thought Declan was initially the foil, not the victim. But it makes perfect sense. I originally didn’t think they’d kill him because that would be taking too much from Jack after Fauxmanda died, but I also predicted Jack would learn Emily’s true identity by the end of the season given the dark turn his character wax taking. Now it makes perfect sense. Jack’s on the dark side now (might as well call him Darth from now on). Take Nolan away for a bit, make Jack an ally once he’s over bring PISSED about Emily ‘s manipulation, then turn them into a wicked trio.

30. Declan’s death was predictable and disappointing.

31. Shae says:

Aiden is not dead! Daniel hiding the blood on his wrist from Conrad makes me think that he knows something. Maybe aiden spilled some info to him. After all why would he need to hide the blood from Conrad? Nolan is becoming my favorite I hope he gets out of that mess. I’m so glad Emily FINALLY decided to tell Jack. It was getting annoying with him running around like a crazy person left in the dark. And Im curious what part Patrick will play in season 3. Will he be a good or bad character or will he be in and out like Emily’s mom? If Emily does ever end up with jack I think it won’t happen for awhile. I’m slowly growing more partial to Aiden though. It seems like Conrad is creating more and more enemies! Whatever happens they all need a vacation.

32. Giggle says:

I do not think Padma, Declan and Takada are dead, and I will not believe it until we see the funerals next season. In addition, they have shown to much organization by the Initiative for there to be no initiative. I think the writers did this to give themselves plenty of plot’s for the next season or two. Remember this is a soap opera.

• Lara says:

Um, Takeda is 100% dead. As indicated by the whole not breathing thing?

• tripoli says:

Seriously! What is with people being unable to accept the death of a character? It’s getting down right annoying.

• Love Revenge says:

Nolan and Aiden found Padma’s body so she is definitely dead. Takeda is dead because Aiden killed him. Emily found the body. Hope Declan is still alive though.

33. Gio86 says:

Wow what a finale, dare I say it was the best episode on broadcast tv for this whole season!!!! It was just amazing.

34. ll says:

Okay, could anyone tell me why DECLAN was in the building when it blew up?
    And, Aiden better not be dead.

• CC says:

I believe it was because Declan called Charlotte after finding out about her pregnancy from Victoria, and Charlotte lied to him saying she was with Daniel at Grayson Global.

35. Billy says:

You guys are idiots for naming the url (in part) “revenge-declan-dies-recap” because any search engine pulls up “Revenge Declan Dies Finale Recap” as a resulting link! MORONS!

36. CC says:

Declan died, and I can’t say I’m surprised. Just the way that he died; when they said someone from the core cast was dying tonight, I automatically assumed murder by gunshot, not survival from bomb explosion only to die from sustained injuries.
    I truly hope Aiden isn’t dead or critically injured. We won’t know what went down with Daniel and him until the new season.
    I can’t believe Nolan’s the one getting the blame for all this! I hope he is somehow freed early on in the third season premiere — preferably the first episode!
    Also, Emily told Jack! I can’t wait to see how this plays out in the next season. I’m not a Jack/Emily shipper, but I did think it was about time Jack found out about Emily being Amanda Clarke.

37. Anna says:

This episode was fantastic! It really did have some unexpected twists and turns! I was gonna say that the episode didn’t have enough Nolan, since they teased it as “Nolan-centric” and all, but now it looks like he’ll have an awesomely interesting storyline in season 3! FREE NOLAN!

38. BTW isn’t this the site where folks have been clamoring for Declan’s death since last season?

39. Isak says:

Now, THIS is a FINALE.

40. Maria says:

I’m going to be really upset if Daniel gets away with another killing. I honestly wish it was him who died in the finale.

41. SL says:

just got into the show have to catch up on season 1 via netflix

42. Joanne Sullivan says:

Does anyone else think that guy from Takeda’s photograph is Victoria’s son?

• JLC says:

The guy from Takeda’s photo was an assassin. He’s the one who planted the bomb at Grayson Global. He’s not Victoria’s son. He’s a nobody character played for one purpose only, to plant the bomb on Conrad’s orders.

• Joanne Sullivan says:

I don’t think Takeda would just have a random assassin’s photo in his file – I think he’s involved in the storyline in a much bigger way….

• Jen says:

I think it’s possible. It’s certainly plausible that he’s involved because of her. The age of that guy works out, plus the timing that he could have made it back to the Grayson’s house in the Hamptons after the bombing.

43. Mandy says:

I love that Emily told jack the truth, but am sad that Declan died. How much more can Charlotte take?

44. Deion says:

Emily Thorne is going to be such a busy girl in the fall, with all the Revenge that needs to be dished out as a result of this episode. Revenge for Amanda, Declan, Nolan, and possibly Aiden? A busy girl, indeed.

45. david says:

It left cliffhangers but it also left much to be desired. It felt very hollow and empty after a troubled season. I think that next year should be the last with a decent gameplay in mind.

46. JJRose says:

Seriously Daniel? His character is so pointless. Kill him off. Jack and Ems (or should I say Amanda) have like no chemistry at all. So forced. I’ve never bought kindergarten love stories, seriously? I feel so sorry for Nolan and Aiden, there were nothing but good guys and they basically lost everything. Nolan/Aiden and Ems should’ve had more scenes, their Bond talks were always hilarious. Also, I truly believe Ems belongs with Aiden. The porch scene was heartbreaking. You can see they care about each other. I’m ready for the next season, but it looks like Jack and Ems are endgame and I’m like meh about it.

47. N says:

I’m Amanda Clark- Best line of the night!

48. Loni says:

Wow, what a jaw dropping finale! So good! And it left with so many great potential story lines. I hope that Emily/Amanda can get back to her original agenda at taking down the Graysons. Still so blown away by her last words to Jack!!

49. cathy says:

There were just a couple things that struck me as odd:

First of all, I hadn’t noticed that this was all taking place in 2012. I realize that gubernatorial races can only occur in certain years, but are we heading toward a time jump between seasons?

Second, who was Jack talking about when he told Victoria that Carl Jr. was with his Grandma? I didn’t think that Jack’s mom was still alive/in the picture, so does that mean that he’s somehow continued an off-screen relationship with Amanda’s mom?

• Pia says:

The grandmother thing bugged me so much. They can’t possibly have meant Emily’s crazy mother who tried to drown her. (Is she even still alive? I don’t remember.)

• Louis E. says:

In the TV show’s universe,New York elects governors in presidential election years (we really do it in midterm years,like most states).A time jump appears inevitable though Revenge has had flashforward season premieres both times so far.
      The grandmother line was a problem…Kara was written out and didn’t even come back when her supposed daughter died,and Jack’s mother deserted the family when he was a child…

50. Diggy says:

Seriously, this show’s been going downhill ever since they stopped the takedown of the week. And season 2 has been garbage throughout. Was anyone fooled for a second that Victoria was dead? And the big mid-season death was Fauxmanda? Who cares? And now Declan? Talk about low stakes poker. So they cleaned out Mr. & Mrs. initiative Baddies 1 & 2 and Takeda so they can go back to basics in season 3 with the Graysons as the center of all evil & intrigue and the big, final moment lets them get back to the Jack/Amanda love story. They should have just had Nolan wake up from a dream & find himself back in the first half of season 1 & then walk off to have his own show because he’s the only interesting character in Revenge.

• ZmaX says:

They stopped the take-down of the week after the 4th episode of season 1 (they did it once for for 1×12) and so far have done it 3 times in season 2 (2×10, 2×17, 2×19). That was never what the show was only about.

Fauxmanda was actually a really big part of the show, a huge part of Emily’s life and by the time of her death a lot of viewers had actually started to love her (me included, it’s kinda snuck up on me lol)