NBC Names SNL's Seth Meyers Late Night Host — Who Should Replace Him on 'Weekend Update'?

Get More: Late Night TV

sethAfter months of speculation, NBC on Sunday finally made it official: Saturday Night Live‘s Seth Meyers has been named the new host of Late Night, replacing Tonight Show-bound Jimmy Fallon.

The Fallon-Meyers transition is set to take place in early 2014 (coinciding with the Jay Leno-Fallon transition).

VIDEO | Kristen Wiig Hosts SNL — Watch the Best and Worst Skits

“12:30 on NBC has long been incredible real estate,” said Meyers in a statement. “I hope I can do it justice.”

Added NBC president Bob Greenblatt: “We think Seth is one of the brightest, most insightful comedy writers and performers of his generation. His years at SNL‘s ‘Weekend Update’ desk, not to mention being head writer of the show for many seasons, helped him hone a topical brand of comedy that is perfect for the Late Night franchise. We couldn’t be happier that Seth and Jimmy Fallon will be continuing their careers at NBC after growing up in this network’s late night legacy.”

PHOTOS | Saturday Night Live: 25 Dream Hosts

Speaking of “Weekend Update,” there’s no word on who will replace Meyers as newsreader. Who do you think it should be? Nominations are now being accepted in the comments section.

Comments (88)

• Seth Meyers pretty much sucks. I hope that SNL will now return to it’s smarter comedy roots. Tina Fey we miss you.

Comment by topoopon – May 12, 2013 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Mulaney!

Comment by Jessica – May 12, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think he’s developing his own show.

Comment by Aleksa – May 12, 2013 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually it looks like they passed on the pilot, so yeah, he’d be great.

Comment by Aleksa – May 12, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Great idea. I was only thinking about current cast members.

Comment by Amanda From Michigan – May 12, 2013 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The only problem with Mulaney getting his own show is that it means little to no Stefon which we saw when he only appeared once in months in March. I’m conflicted, he’s talented so I want him to succeed, but I want to know the hottest clubs to go to in NYC.

Comment by scooby – May 12, 2013 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed!

Comment by Payton – May 12, 2013 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Since his pilot didn’t make it, I’m all for this! He’s hilarious and deserves it.

Comment by Steven – May 12, 2013 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, his two segments on Weekend Update are my two of my favorite moments from the past few seasons. Plus so much of the cast have such funny recurring weekend update corespondents that I would be sad to see go if they took over anchoring.

Comment by Drewer – May 12, 2013 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Your missing the main story here. It’s WHO will SNL name HEAD WRITER?!

Comment by SNLDownwardSpiral – May 12, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *you’re

Comment by SNLDownwardSpiral – May 12, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • *You’re

Comment by Moriarty's pocket protector – May 12, 2013 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Surely its much easier for us regular folks to speculate on the new WU host than whether William Bradley Bigglesby II from Harvard class of ’09 will take over as some behind the scenes head writer.

Comment by Lauren – May 12, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It actually is kind of a big deal who the next head writer will be, because that kind of change is going to put the show through some drastic changes. Some of us care about that.,

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – May 12, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was my question too.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – May 12, 2013 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They named the new head writer last year. Comedian Colin Jost has been co-head writer with Seth Meyers all season to ease the transition.

Comment by Already – May 14, 2013 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tim Robinson. Seems like he has the brain to bring something new to it. Plus he doesn’t get much screen time on the rest of the show.

Comment by Alex (@alejandrot4893) – May 12, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Tim is a star waiting to happen. He’s really funny and has great potential. This would be good for him.

Comment by Amanda From Michigan – May 12, 2013 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JAY PHARAOH.

Comment by Damien B – May 12, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It should definitely go to Jay Pharaoh. The best Weekend Update anchors have been usually stand up comedians. Jay Pharaoh is very funny and underused in the sketches.

Comment by Victor – May 12, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Hjkdftj – May 12, 2013 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Can’t stand Jay – he’s kind of a one note comedian

Comment by Tedwin – May 13, 2013 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Mulaney coanchoring with Nasim!

Comment by Jjhill83 – May 12, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, this 100x this.

Comment by Mike – May 12, 2013 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mulaney’s pilot wasn’t picked up- SNL head writer plus weekend update would be a damn fine consolation prize

Comment by gg031 – May 12, 2013 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think jay and taran should take a crack at the desk….or mayne kate and taran or kate and jay. has an african american man ever been on the desk????

Comment by rush86 – May 12, 2013 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i think kate and jay will be perfect for this! kate is so sarcastic-sounding with anything she says and i think jay can pull off the news anchor persona really well :D also i miss the days when weekend update had 2 people on the desk!

Comment by noo – May 12, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the idea of Nasim Perdad anchoring with a guy, tho I fear she’s a goner after this season. I wonder if Taran Killam would be any good?

Comment by Lauren – May 12, 2013 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seth is the head writer! Surely that is the bigger question? John Mulaney for both spots please!

Comment by Heather – May 12, 2013 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Mulaney & Cecily Strong even if it means that we won’t see “Girl from a Party” anymore which is a darn shame

Comment by Chris – May 12, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brian Williams, his prime time show just got cancelled.

Comment by Kevin McDermott – May 12, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LMAO! Brian Williams! Dead.

Comment by Julio – May 12, 2013 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • taran killam as brian williams maybe?!

Comment by noo – May 12, 2013 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kate McKinnion could be interesting. I’d say Bill Hader but that would mean we wouldn’t see Stefan or Carville anymore.

Comment by Tom Charles – May 12, 2013 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We’ve had enough of Stefan already!

Comment by Jason – May 12, 2013 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stefon will be devistated!

Comment by Richard – May 12, 2013 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nasim and Mulaney

Comment by mawhi – May 12, 2013 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mulaney!! He’s great!!

Comment by Kara – May 12, 2013 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Mulaney is my pick to replace Seth Meyers as anchor for Weekend Update next season.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – May 12, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lori Beth Denberg

Comment by R. Swon – May 12, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It would have to be someone who doesn’t have any reoccurring Charecters on WU, it would be nice to have a solo female anchor again. I don’t think Pharoah would be a good choice unless Lorne wants another Chevy Chase on his hands.

Comment by Jerome Scott – May 12, 2013 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sudekis. He just found his reason to extend his stay. Head writer and only has to do Weekend Update.

Comment by Evan – May 12, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree, Sudekis is the obvious choice, with Hader in second. Please not Pharaoh, he’s only good for his Will Smith impression.

Comment by Faster – May 13, 2013 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Fallon, but I think Meyers is good enough for the Tonight Show spot.

Comment by Becca – May 12, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really want someone new as head writer….someone who won’t allow the same unfunny skits over and over and over (e.g. The Californians)…..someone who will concentrate on developing parodies more than the same tired old characters week after week. This show needs a major shake-up in a big way. It is rarely funny. That’s Seth Meyers fault. And if he keeps doing the same things night after night on Late Night, the ratings will tank quickly.

Comment by David – May 12, 2013 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jason Sudeikis & Cecily Strong!!!!!!

Comment by Eddie – May 12, 2013 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If SNL wants to get someone from radio, then Alan Cox of WMMS in Cleveland should get the WU gig. He’d be good.

Comment by MediaLover – May 12, 2013 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Taran Killam and Kate McKinnon! DREAM TEAM for Weekend Update!

Comment by Rivera – May 12, 2013 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • perfection!

Comment by noo – May 12, 2013 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Kate is horrible! I hope to see her gone after this season. I can’t stand any skit she’s in. She is not funny.

Comment by Sarah – May 12, 2013 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • there isz no way that will happen she has been one of the funniest cast members this season

Comment by chris – May 12, 2013 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Seriously, she’s been the best thing about this season. What show are you watching?

Comment by Olive – May 13, 2013 12:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree.

Comment by Faster – May 13, 2013 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would say Sudekis and Kate McKinnon.

Comment by Snsetblaze – May 13, 2013 06:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Me continuing to not watch NBC continues.

Comment by Midori – May 12, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Clearly, you’re having separation anxiety if you are compelled to comment on something on a network you’re supposedly not watching.

Comment by O-Town – July 25, 2013 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Time for co-anchors again. Kate McKinnon and Taran Killam. They could a throwback to Jane and Chevy.

Comment by JohnnySueded – May 12, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kate McKinnon and Cecily Strong!

Comment by Wesley – May 12, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I say Taran and Vanessa Bayer. I think it could be a great throwback to Fallon/Fey or Meyers/Poehler. I’m not sure Taran can hold his own. But I think Vanessa Bayer can sell “news” really well.

Comment by Rob – May 12, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fred Armisen and they should bring in Carrie Brownstein to co-host. :)

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – May 12, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Mulaney!!

Comment by Nora – May 12, 2013 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Mulaney by himself or with Nasim Pedrad would be fantastic. I hope this happens.

Comment by kbeef2 – May 12, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Norm MacDonald!!!!!!

Comment by Jason – May 12, 2013 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Where’s Colin Quinn?

Comment by arthur gonzales – July 31, 2013 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Mulaney with a coanchor, I’ve always preferred the coanchor updates, I think the best choice would be Nasim or maybe McKinnon.

Comment by Mike – May 12, 2013 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it weird that I’d love to see Aidy take a crack at it? I think she’s a good balance of goofy and serious, works well with a partner, and can easily play the fall gal, but I suspect a bitchy side she can portray as well.

I think the main thing is that we want a duo, preferably male/female or both women.

Comment by Taylor – May 12, 2013 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They chose a white man to host a late night talk show? Wow, what bold and daring move!

Comment by Lori – May 12, 2013 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IMO, Seth Meyers does not have the charisma to be a late night host. I think anyone could admit since his time as head writer in SNL the show has been on a constant downswing. Granted losing many major SNL players in recent years didn’t help him, but again IMO I don’t think he has a great personality and I am rarely amused by him.

Comment by schu – May 12, 2013 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • thats true but weekend update is the only part of the show that is funny every week

Comment by chris – May 12, 2013 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring in someone from the outside. I think Anthony Jeselnik would be great.

Comment by J – May 12, 2013 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly man, that’s what I was thinking, not Jeselnik parsay, because well don’t get me wrong he is hilarious but probably too cruel for snl, but I love the idea of bringing in another well known comedian for the job.

Comment by Bryce – May 12, 2013 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it is time to end SNL. It hasn’t been funny for a few years now! No need to replace anyone.

Comment by c4 – May 12, 2013 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It hasn’t been funny for years because Seth Meyers is head writer.

Comment by Bob – May 13, 2013 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not bill hader, cause we still want him in A LOT of sketches so probably give it to either JASON SUDEIKIS, JAY PHAROAH, JOHN MULANEY, or hire another well known comedian for the job like PETE HOLMES, T.J. MILLER, JAY BARUCHEL, SETH ROGEN, DANNY MCBRIDE, KEVIN HART, AZIZ ANSARI, JOE ROGAN, PAUL RUDD, or BEN STILLER or an old cast member from the past like NORM MACDONALD, HORATIO SANZ, WILL FERRELL, or TINA FEY.

Comment by Bryce – May 12, 2013 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Jay Pharoah, that guy is funny and they don’t use him nearly enough. I could also see Jason Sudeikis doing this if he decides to stay.
    As long as they don’t give it (or anything else, get rid of him already) to Kenan Thompson I will be happy.

Comment by KitKat – May 13, 2013 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey, Tina’s not busy.

Comment by Bob – May 13, 2013 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it will be a writer from the group, Mike O’Brien is ready to break out. Go Mike!

Comment by Brett Johnson – May 13, 2013 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nasim! She could do like a Christian Amounpour-type thing.

Comment by Zoe – May 13, 2013 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jason Sudeikis, and if not then Bill Hader or Tim Robinson. Please not Jay Pharaoh, or any co-anchors. And while we’re making changes, let’s ax Cecily Strong and Kate McKinnon from the show completely.

Comment by Faster – May 13, 2013 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Mulaney!

Comment by Sarabi – May 15, 2013 05:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Balance it mulaney and jeselnik they already write for a bunch of it please not Kate I’ve had enough of this is my funny accent and hey I’m pulling a face its funny right ? Do something else with her and could see it but right now its a no

Comment by k – May 19, 2013 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think John Mulaney as Update Anchor would work and I think the best possible Co-Anchor would be Amy Schumer

Comment by Jarett – August 10, 2013 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Taran

Comment by Nonie (@Snubsaywhat) – December 24, 2013 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post