Poll: Which Recent Cancellation Stung the Most?

Get More: Cancellations

Bad SeedsMay 10, 2013 – a day that will live in TV infamy.

For those keeping track at home, a staggering 16 shows were on the receiving end of pink slips this past Friday. Add Thursday’s death toll to that equation and the number climbs to 22 in just 48 hours.

RELATED | Complete 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What Got Cancelled? What’s Returning?

And while several cancellations were viewed as mercy killings, many of them were greeted with shock, awe and disgust. Which got us wondering — which recent plug-pulling depressed you the most?

Scroll down, vote in our poll, and then justify your pick in the comments section.

Comments (487)

• TOUCH LEAVING IS BRINGING BACK 24!!!!!!!!!!!! SO ADIOS!!!

Comment by MORRIS!!!!! – May 13, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • None. I watched a few episodes of Body of Proof (or more like the first 20 minutes to half hour as I had something else to do) and Rules of Engagement, but I wasn’t really a fan of them. Saw one episode of Burn Notice, but that was because Lucy Lawless was in it.

Comment by Mary – May 13, 2013 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Out of all these I only cared about 3 shows How To Live with You Parents, The New Normal, and CSI:NY

Comment by monica4185 – May 13, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Southland and Happy Endings were two of my favorites on TV. Sad trombone.

Comment by CRC – May 13, 2013 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Endings
    I have the last 4 saved on my dvr

Comment by sean – May 13, 2013 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I REALLY ENJOYED BODY OF PROOF, VEGAS, & GOLDEN BOY. WHY DON’T THEY TAKE SOME OF THE PHONEY REALITY SHOWS OFF INSTEAD. IF YOUR BEING TAPED THATS NOT REAILTY . ALSO DECEPTION & RED WIDOW WERE GOOD WHO CARES ABOUT SOME GIRL OR GUY DATING ON TV DON’T TELL ME THESE PEOPLE CAN’T GET A DATE WITHOUT SOMEONE TAPING THEM WHY DON’T YOU LISEN TO THE VEIWING PUPLIC & RECONCIDER YOU CHOICES.

Comment by ATM – May 13, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • VEGAS. It’s an excellent show with great writing and a stellar cast, and CBS didn’t even give it a chance. With the preemption, the hiatus and the move to Friday nights, it still managed to garner 7 million viewers and win its timeslot in viewership. I hope another network will be smart enough to pick it up.

Comment by RGH – May 13, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THE MOST bummed about Happy Endings. Really hoping for a pickup by USA.
    Sad about 1600 Penn too. Josh Gad is hilarious and I really thought it’d be safe. Was getting invested in that baby storyline.
    Go On was not really appointment tv for me, but I caught all the episodes on Hulu or on demand and thought it was doing well ratings-wise. That might have been the biggest surprise.

Comment by megs – May 13, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved Smash loved that it gave us a inside look into life backstage for whose on Broadway. It was different from all the sitcom’s. I can’t believe half the cramp they renewed. Come on NBC grown up how about keeping something you have to actually focus on. Grown up’s actually watch your network too.

Comment by R Jones – May 13, 2013 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash was a piece of pure artistry with a extremely talented cast that completely deserves to continue

Comment by Sarah Wang – May 13, 2013 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SMASH is so much more than just a TV show about Broadway. For me, a small town girl who’s always had Broadway-sized dreams, the show is about perseverance, tenacity, and never giving up in the face of adversity. SMASH appeals to a different crowd than some of the more mundane shows that litter cable TV nowadays. As I watched last nights episode and the previews for the finale, I couldn’t help but feel as if some hope was fading. Hope for the future of cable TV, and hope for Broadway. Please save SMASH, for saving what some people may see as just a TV show would also mean helping save the dreams of many.

Comment by Briana Marie – May 13, 2013 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am SO sad about SMASH. Such a fantastic show with incredibly talented people! I always look forward to watching each episode over and over. Love the music and everything so much. So upsetting! Gone too soon :(

Comment by Jessica – May 13, 2013 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash! I love that show! It is my favorite show of all times! It take me to Broadway, in the world of Broadway I wish I was able to see more often. Some network please pick up Smash! There are so many people who love it! It is the topic of show that now everyone will love but there is a strong following. If Broadway is able to stay up with so many shows, Smash show be able to stay alive for another season!

Comment by Samantha – May 13, 2013 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash had great music, good insights into behind the scenes Broadway activities and challenges. It was so much more appealing than most reality shows and most crime series. A refreshing change! So sad it’s gone!

Comment by Mary Wohlleb – May 13, 2013 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 6 of my shows got cancelled…hell with televisions…I am just going to watch movies…I still cant believe they cancelled SMASH and now I find out the others…I am totally sickened.

Comment by Sharon Agee – May 13, 2013 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash! Love it, nothing else like it on TV. Really big loss.

Comment by Dawn – May 13, 2013 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sooo bummed that they cancelled Smash….. I was really enjoying the action the drama the lights the sounds.. …. of Broadway…. it was the one show that I could relate to… its just a shame that NBC couldnt see it or invest more time into a show that was worth watching… it came into its second season with such hope … and now to see it bashed against the wall never to be put back together again,… its just senseless… I dislike NBC … they do not know good programming ….. sorry thats how I feel… ( me venting) ….

Comment by Lisa – May 13, 2013 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Losing Smash was :(
    Great cast great songs wish someone else would pick it up!

Comment by Tina Ruiz – May 13, 2013 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash didn’t even have a chance this season with the way the network handled it. I’m so pissed off at them.

Comment by Sammy – May 13, 2013 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP Southland! :(

Comment by Maliah – May 13, 2013 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash was new and had a good chance of being huge, but they changed the time to when people aren’t home or are doing family stuff. 1600 Penn was great with a lot of followers. Not sure why it didn’t do better. But, they need to give shows a chance. So upset with NBC!!! I will not be watching stupid crap on there channel that’s for sure. They lost this viewer’s rating!!!

Comment by sarah – May 13, 2013 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve watched every episode of SMASH. I’m so sad to see it go. I’ve downloaded SMASH songs from iTunes too. Please think about saving the show.

Comment by Lisa – May 13, 2013 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Apparently there was only a scarce few of us who “got” Touch. It was well written, fresh and intriguing. The only problem I saw with the show was Keifer Sutherland whispering all of his lines and being out of breath like he was still running on 24.

Comment by Marsha Neill Surles – May 13, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So so disappointed and upset that SMASH! was cancelled. I kept hoping that NBC would stop the crazy changes in schedule and making us wait weeks for new episodes and really put their support behind it. This was the ONLY show of its kind on TV. I am so tired of stupid reality show after stupid reality show. This show had intellect, class, talent, entertainment. Great, great cast, great stories and with the addition of Hit List this season the storyline was even better. I looked forward to this show every week and play it back from my DVR multiple times to enjoy the musical numbers over and over. My college age daughters LOVE it and watched in online, introducing many of their friends to it. I am praying that another network will be wise enough to pick it up and give us this gem back.

Comment by Mariela – May 13, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash should never have been cancelled..Ive’ come to the conclusion that TV exe’c have no taste and no class…I have to guess they have a piece of paper to say they can do what they do but pieces of paper can become mere dust on the wind!

Comment by Terry – May 13, 2013 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m devastated that smash is on it way out. I have looked forward to smash every week as long as its been on (for the past year and a half.) Katherine and jack play beautiful characters and I don’t think it deserves to be canned just yet. I’ve enjoyed the storyline and music in every episode and I feel like there is so much left to do. It’s just terrible and I wish another network would pick it up.

Comment by Bina – May 13, 2013 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SMASH!!! Why did u cancel it!!?? Didn’t you listen to the polls, the emails, the websites created(DON’T CANCEL SMASH)? It was the one show many of my friends and family (many of us musicians) that we did not miss or DVR if we had to. So disappointed that you did not heed our cries for mercy. The one thing that kept us glued besides the drama was the MUSIC! I’ll be switching to Abc Nashville for my music fix. Tired of the ‘talent shows’

Comment by Sandra – May 13, 2013 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will never forgive NBC for canning Smash and the New Normal, what the hell were they thinking? droping the only two good shows on that crap network.

Comment by Brandon – May 13, 2013 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very disappointed they cancelled Smash. The show is amazing, the characters are brilliant and the storyline is different then all the killing and other violent shows that are otherwise on TV. NBC has lost me as a viewer for sure!!!

Comment by Sue D – May 13, 2013 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vegas hurt the worst!!! I LOVED this show and really feel it deserved a 2nd season to capitalize on the momentum it was building towards the end. I REALLY feel that CBS never gave this show a chance, bounced it all over the map and then when it finally settled into it’s Friday time slot they never advertised it. PLEASE give this show another season, close to 9 million viewers every week can’t be wrong!

Comment by Suzanne Hooper – May 13, 2013 11:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So right on! This show was great and so enjoyed it every week. Doesn’t make any sense does it

Comment by Terry – May 14, 2013 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Easy, because Happy Endings is just the best comedy airing at the moment. We need this, it’s so well written, and the cast has fantastic chemistry. It’s amahzing.

Comment by DS – May 14, 2013 12:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m disappointed that Red Widow got cancelled. Just like GCB. Spring debuts, never had a chance. Other than Last Resort, Red Widow was the most disappointing cancellation for me this year. As a sidenote, my parents are not happy about the cancellation of Vegas–it was the only show they actually watched together.

Comment by Ally Oop – May 14, 2013 04:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so bummed that Smash was cancelled! It was the one show on TV that I watched every week. I wasn’t always able to watch it when it aired so I would often catch it on Hulu later in the week. It was one of the rare shows on TV that had substance and class and it offered something different from the run of the mill comedies or reality shows that are so prevalent these days.

Comment by Karen – May 14, 2013 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HAPPY ENDINGSSSS

Comment by Dana Johnson – May 14, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m soooooo disappointed that Happy Endings was cancelled! That was my favorite comedy by far. The cast had incredible chemistry (each one was hilarious and they all meshed well). I had a crush on all 3 of the main female characters bc they were gorgeous AND funny as hell :-)

I was concerned that people might have a problem with the incredibly fast pace of the show. If I hadn’t had DVR to rewind it when I needed to, I would have missed some of the greatest comedic moments. Ultimately, I think that might have been one of the biggest problems that people had.
    Either way it will be sorely missed (sniff sniff) :-(

Comment by Patrick Kelley – May 14, 2013 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very disappointed that NBC cancelled Smash – I really enjoyed this show, it was so creative. It deserves another chance without moving it around on the schedule. Start it in the Fall rather than mid-season and it might have a chance.

Comment by Mary Lee DeMarco – May 14, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe GOLDEN BOY was cancelled! I Loved that show! Get ridof the SStupid Reality shows, they aren’t Reality just a bunch of Crapp! TV shows literally suck that’s why a lot of people watch either Satellite or cable! Evert time a Good Show airs some network executive decides to cancel it!

Comment by Diana – May 14, 2013 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Used to watch most shows on CBS, but have found better shows on ABC & NBC! GET IT TOGETHER PEOPLE!

Comment by Diana – May 14, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Endings and Smash. :(

Comment by Gam – May 14, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC should re-think cancelling Smash. It’s a quality show, unlike all that so-called “reality” garbage that is constantly on. Smash has incredible singing and dancing, and a lot of really talented cast members. I watch very little TV, but I never miss Smash.

Comment by Elaine – May 14, 2013 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am totally saddened by the cancellation of Vegas. This was a great show that took us back to the time we grew up in. Also Smash and Touch were wonderful shows also. The TV stations start something and get people interested in watching their shows on a weekly basis, get them interested in them and then cancel them.. Dumb move. It makes you want to watch shows only on cable TV.

Comment by Terry – May 14, 2013 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Touch – At least it had a couple of seasons to develop the characters. And, shockingly had a plot. K Sutherland is a master at bringing suspense and making us care about his character. I really enjoyed the counter point of Bello this season.

Comment by Liz – May 14, 2013 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Red Widow I really enjoyed but, would not have been on the menu if I had children due to the violence. Caring about the characters is my thumb for watching, and I was interested in how Marta could escape her personal Kobayashi Maru (Star Trek reference). And, really it was about constant choices and consequences. Fundamental good vs. evil. So, in spite of the superfluous violence which is probably what killed the show it will be missed.

Comment by Liz – May 14, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Person of Interest is still on! Yeah!. Elementary is still on! Yeah, Revolution! Falling Skies is around the corner! Yeah, Oh, and of course The Good Wife and another 50 years of Dr. Who:) Enough of vampires, werewolves and ghosts but, Clones? I am enjoying Orphan Black…something other than Cowboys and Indians disguised as Science Fiction….(yes talking about Defiance. Anime Hair and a forehead bump doesn’t make it Sci Fi. so good luck but, don’t think the set will help the show. regards and cudos to those that survive. the network diapers proof that they can cancel without promoting their shows…Really, is it about a show or about how many commercials they can fit into 5 minutes.

Comment by Liz – May 14, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big fan of both Body of Proof and Rules of Engagement. So sick of non- talent based reality shows If I wanted to watch reality I”d throw out my TV and stare out my window all night. Body of Proof was a Modern Quincy of sorts. The characters were developing and rhs storylines much improved. Because of its start time we DVR it and watch later. Rules of Engagement also good character relationships with more developed story lines beginning. Would love to see a reality show dumped and these brought back. With all the super – hero stuff going on would love to see The Middleman resurrected again too!

Comment by Aileen – May 14, 2013 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so sad about Whitney! :( One of the best written shows ever! 2 Broke Girls didn’t get cancelled, thank goodness, and that’s the same writer, Whitney Cummings. Genius!

Comment by Andi – May 14, 2013 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am in sh

Comment by Karley – May 15, 2013 12:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I meant to say shock.

Comment by Karley – May 15, 2013 12:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vegas was a great show. Everyone in my house liked it. gorgeous and a great cast. Loved Mia the most!

Comment by sARAH – May 15, 2013 02:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SMASH was the first great drama aired in a long time. I guess it was too adult for the network. Nice to have great music and talent, a novel plot line, and writers more than willing to change things as they received feedback from the audience. It was nice to be able to enjoy a show that wasn’t a whodunit or inane attempt at comedy. Such a group of very talented people will be missed greatly.

Comment by annette – May 15, 2013 03:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I WAS VERY UPSET SMASH got cancelled! It was SMASH that showed the hard work, persistence, and politics that go into bringing a show to Broadway. The talent was excellent by far abd the music brought me back to the days when music was displayed with variety shows in skits. Out of all the shows, I truly wish SMASH would be brought back or picked up by a station that has good ratings like TNT, AMC, OR TBS.

Comment by Irene – May 15, 2013 04:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post