Poll: Which Recent Cancellation Stung the Most?

Get More: Cancellations

Bad SeedsMay 10, 2013 – a day that will live in TV infamy.

For those keeping track at home, a staggering 16 shows were on the receiving end of pink slips this past Friday. Add Thursday’s death toll to that equation and the number climbs to 22 in just 48 hours.

RELATED | Complete 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What Got Cancelled? What’s Returning?

And while several cancellations were viewed as mercy killings, many of them were greeted with shock, awe and disgust. Which got us wondering — which recent plug-pulling depressed you the most?

Scroll down, vote in our poll, and then justify your pick in the comments section.

Comments (487)

• I was really enjoying Vegas in it’s new earlier time slot on Friday. I tried to watch it late on Thursday, but always fell asleep! I wish they would run a whole season earlier, anklet people get into it!

Comment by Sarah – May 12, 2013 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was surprised to learn that CSI New York has been cancelled. Gary and Sela were a great team.

Comment by Cynthia Swendsen – May 12, 2013 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GUYS WITH KIDS!!!!!!! For sure Guys With Kids stung the most for me. Southland stung but I prepared myself for that one same for Burn Notice. How to Live was surprising but I don’t care about that show. I’m sure Happy Endings will end up on cable so I don’t miss it

Comment by Ram510 – May 12, 2013 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am totally shocked to see Happy Endings get cancelled – it’s fast, funny, weird, and the cast is basically ensemble gold. Also sad to see Smash going – I thought Josh Safran had done a great job of reining in the crazy and focusing on story.

Comment by Catherine – May 12, 2013 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No contest, Happy Endings!!!

Comment by DavidSask – May 12, 2013 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I kind of lost interest in Go On for a while, but planned on catching up when I got some more free time. I had no idea it was doing badly enough to get cancelled, but I don’t look at NBC’s ratings too much.

Comment by Tee – May 12, 2013 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh and I voted for Happy Endings too. It was pretty expected, but the show was a lot of fun.

Comment by Tee – May 12, 2013 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Endings :( I reeeeeally pray USA picks it up. Look at how many people will miss it!

Comment by schu – May 12, 2013 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In most cases the warning signs were there.

Comment by Anna Paolinelli (@AnnaPaolinelli1) – May 12, 2013 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a former beat cop, Southland was the best-written, most realistic, gritty, adrenaline rush I have seen on TV in many years. Cutting Southland is foolish.
    Bill Heuisler

Comment by Bill Heuisler – May 12, 2013 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why the frakkin’ can’t I vote? If I could, my major annoyance is the cancellation of SMASH with SOUTHLAND BEING IN SECOND PLACE.

Comment by WayneBeau – May 12, 2013 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CSI:NY is the only show I watch, on demand or in real time…I wait for CSI: & CSI:Los Angeles to come out with the entire season on DVD. Any other programs I watch are on cable, except for the news @ 10pm.

Comment by Lynda Brechtbill – May 12, 2013 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • am i the only one crying for smash :c

Comment by john – May 12, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Endings. It’s so funny and outstanding! I can’t vote for Smash, because the writing has been all over the place and the writers have their selves to blame.

Comment by Brandy – May 12, 2013 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SMASH…….will survive.

Comment by Billy – May 12, 2013 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry to see Smash cancelled. I liked the broadway / musical aspect better than the plots some of the time, but still really enjoyed the show.

Comment by Victoria – May 12, 2013 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Endings!!!! I can’t even begin to express how devastated I am over it getting cancelled! I enjoyed it more than anything else on tv these past 3 seasons. I really hope theres still a chance USA picks it up. I am completely heartbroken with the thought that we might never see another episode of it again. Great writing and such an amazing cast, its a damn shame.

Comment by Dee – May 12, 2013 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only Monday Mornings. That was such a good show – I’m not sure how TNT failed to build an audience for it. Very dissappointing (although not unexpected). As for the others… CSI:NY is the only one I ever watched routinely and that was several years back. Love Gary Sinse and Dennis Quaid (just could not warm up to Vegas) but would like to see them in something fresher (Sinse) or more interesting (Quaid).

Comment by stefany – May 12, 2013 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t watched Family Tools but it seems to be there was only one episode, if that much, and it got cancelled already. SMH. Too many reality shows on the air are starting to get boring. I could live without American Idol or The Voice or America’s Got Talent. Just to name a few.

Comment by GinnyB – May 12, 2013 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cannot believe Happy Endings was cancelled! Boycotting ABC….yes, even deleting Modern Family off my DVR in protest. Hope USA saves the day!

Comment by Robyn – May 12, 2013 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Endings. One of the best comedies of the last 5 years, it deserves at least another season. Hope USA pick it up.

Comment by Mario F. Sánchez (@creepyboyNG) – May 12, 2013 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Katherine McPhee, and Megan Hilty, Angelica Huston is downright scary! the story line was nonsensically sophomoric. In short, Smash sucked. Glad that crap show is gone. People can whine about it’s demise all they want, but the show simply didn’t draw viewers, and that, in the end, says it all.

Comment by Ralph – May 12, 2013 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so devastated that Smash was cancelled. I am not one to get caught up in a t.v. show. I barely watch t.v. at all! But I have loved that show since day one and having it be cancelled, despite the efforts of so many to stop it, is just horrible! I feel like my best friend has died. I cannot believe that NBC cannot see the value in this show. I am going to be depressed and angry about this for QUITE awhile!

Comment by Cindy – May 12, 2013 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash should be given new life and a second chance. The networks waste do much money. They do not give the new shows enough time to find an audience. They change the day and time moving shows around. Viewers get tired and confused.

Comment by Molle – May 12, 2013 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really liked Deception. Should have given it another year!!!

Comment by DawnCar – May 12, 2013 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love smash and new normal. Pissed. I agree that new normal tied it up in a pretty package. Still mad about smash and i hope it is picked up by another network or cable channel… Sorry network peeps, smash viewers aren’t sitting at home watching shows when they are on. We own DVRs and have to wait til we are home or put kids to bed to pour a glass of wine and indulgence

Comment by me – May 12, 2013 10:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Body of Proof and Vegas hurt the most. BOP had a really long lay off between the first and second season and Vegas was also put on hold for a few weeks and then moved to a different day and time. Maybe that had something to do with why their ratings weren’t as good as they could have been?

Comment by Jen – May 12, 2013 10:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I chose Smash, but a close 2nd and 3rd were Vegas and Malibu Country. I loved all three of these shows. I feel like none of them got a fair shot with the weekend placements.

Comment by Robbin Otto – May 12, 2013 11:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aw, The New Normal was such a great show. Cute and funny and clever and heartwarming. :( I’m gonna miss it.

Comment by Harmony – May 12, 2013 11:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For me the worst losses were “Golden Boy” and “Vegas”. I think that CBS mishandled “Golden Boy” by debuting it at mid-season. Mid-season shows die fast, and the truth is that Golden Boy deserved to at least get a full season. Will I show my age by saying that it reminded me of a much grittier “Streets of San Francisco”? Well it did. As for “Vegas”, I liked the dynamics between Chiklis and Quaid, although I found some of the plotlines a bit on the unbelievable side. Which I guess means that losing “Golden Boy” stings a bit more for me than losing “Vegas”.

Comment by Brent – May 13, 2013 12:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go On, The New Normal and Smash!! Go On & The New Normal are two of the few comedy shows that are actually funny. Both should have been to be renewed. Smash was one of most classiest shows on TV! I wish it was on HBO instead. I hope they change their minds and uncancel them, like what happened to Drop Dead Diva.. #prayercircle

Comment by Helena – May 13, 2013 02:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SMASH!! so UPSET!!!!!!!

Comment by Carl – May 13, 2013 02:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My heart aches for Happy Endings What a wonderfully addictive, funny, touching and intelligent program. Keep it alive, for the sake of millions who don’t have Nielson boxes/live in other countries.

Comment by Allie – May 13, 2013 02:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Heck…most American’s don’t have Neilsen boxes. They think they have a real idea of what’s watched, but Neilsen is so outdated that they don’t get a real idea anymore.

Comment by Michael Hamilton – May 13, 2013 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • none of those shows, but I’m anxiously waiting for NBC Hannibal fate O.o

Comment by numer0six – May 13, 2013 03:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why do they have to cancel Smash ? So disappointing !!!!

Comment by marita – May 13, 2013 03:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad to see Smash canceled. I really enjoyed the storyline, actors, and the music!

Comment by Robyn – May 13, 2013 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally lost my mind when I got word SMASH was cancelled. What the heck are they thinking!?!

Comment by Victoria – May 13, 2013 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t understand why Smash was cancelled. There is so much more they can do with it. The story lines were fantastic and the talent can not be matched by any other show.

Also sorry that Missing with Ashley Judd was cancelled. Again so much more could have been done with it.

Please bring these both back.

Comment by Marj Samson – May 13, 2013 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SMASH. Enjoyed seeing a well acted, entertaining TV show that had great talent, music and a good story line — with NO BLOOD-N-GUTS or ZOMBIES!

Comment by Kar – May 13, 2013 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m’ actually depressed at the cancellation of Smash. It was such a great show, with such promise. As a big fan of Broadway and musical theatre, I will miss the special breed of entertainment that it brought to our living rooms every week. It’s no wonder that NBC is failing. It can’t even see a good thing when it has one. Right now I’m so angry I’m probably not even going to view the Michael J Fox show when it turns up, just because I”m boycotting the network!

Comment by Michael Hamilton – May 13, 2013 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally disgusted that they cancelled SMASH! It was a great show. Like the “do not cancel smash Facebook page and write to the other networks to pick it up. It’s worked before it can work again!

Comment by Deb – May 13, 2013 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The new Normal … Please stay another year!!

Comment by Monserrat – May 13, 2013 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SMASH – It is a true original blending great music into an interesting storyline. I was so looking forward to seeing where they were going next…

Comment by DJ – May 13, 2013 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch PBS mostly now. and netflix. Network tv is hard to watch because of the interruptions…promos, commercials and other clutter. I find the reality shows inane and much the drama shows like NCIS and CSI LA are just really silly and not believable.

Comment by John – May 13, 2013 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash

Comment by MP-94 – May 13, 2013 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rules of Engagement was classic!! It had slipped a bit but still funny stuff. I hope Patrick Warburton can find another comedy gig soon. He is genius.

Comment by Nazdaq – May 13, 2013 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i was surprised by Go On :( i really thought it was safe. such a well done, intelligent show, with interesting characters.
    i’d heard rumblings about The New Normal, but it still stung when it got the axe. i thought it was a fun show, likeable cast.
    we all knew Happy Endings was done, but i’m still disappointed. i hope someone picks it up and it returns to the glory of its 1st season.

Comment by flutiefan – May 13, 2013 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Most of them weren’t on long enough for anyone to be “invested” in them. Sad too, because some of them were actually pretty good. Southland, despite being a critically acclaimed show has never gotten the love. And with Burn Notice on a cable channel it actually survived longer than I thought it would.

Comment by Mamacita – May 13, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go On is the show I’ll miss most. I watched every episode and grew to love it more and more as the season went along. It was a comedy with heart, and characters you rooted for. I truly thought it was a lock for next season. NBC really messed up with this one. All I have left on this network is Grimm and SVU. I’ll not be wasting my time getting invested in their shows only to see them yanked after one season.

Comment by JettaJameson – May 13, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go On and Red Widow – I love these two shows! So so SO upset they’re not coming back :(

Comment by missmiggles – May 13, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Red Widow was actually a very good show. Good characters and writIng. I knew from previous experience that most shows that debut in spring get cancelled so I’m not shocked it did but so disappointed. I loved the dynamics between Marta and Schiller.

Comment by Ally Oop – May 14, 2013 04:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Cleveland Show is the one I will miss. But so did you.

Comment by Richard – May 13, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post