Poll: Which Recent Cancellation Stung the Most?

Get More: Cancellations

Bad SeedsMay 10, 2013 – a day that will live in TV infamy.

For those keeping track at home, a staggering 16 shows were on the receiving end of pink slips this past Friday. Add Thursday’s death toll to that equation and the number climbs to 22 in just 48 hours.

RELATED | Complete 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What Got Cancelled? What’s Returning?

And while several cancellations were viewed as mercy killings, many of them were greeted with shock, awe and disgust. Which got us wondering — which recent plug-pulling depressed you the most?

Scroll down, vote in our poll, and then justify your pick in the comments section.

Comments (487)

• Smash! I felt devastated when it got cancelled, it’s one of my favourite series. It’s very special, there isn’t any other series like Smash and the music is very good. I’ll miss Katharine Mcphee (Karen Cartwright) and Megan Hilty (Ivy Linn), I hope that the show will be picked up by an other channel.

Comment by Donkia Hondia – May 12, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really surprised that none of my shows were cancelled, as I lot quite a lot the last time around.

Comment by Ben – May 12, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll miss Golden Boy. It had a lot of potential, and I liked that we were seeing how it went from now to the future.

Comment by kate – May 12, 2013 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Every show I watch has been renewed this season so none of these cancelled ones really matter too much to me.

Comment by Jared – May 12, 2013 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the loss of happy endgings feels like a death in the family

Comment by Aidan – May 12, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m definitely going to miss Happy Endings the most. It was a great show.

Comment by Katie – May 12, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash! Done by the great Stephen Spielberg, with world class actors, writers, sets, – the story line was exciting, mature, intelligent! Some of the songs and music were so moving the hair would stand up on my arms – the singers really delivered!! This was a contemporary show with “something different” than all the other run of the mill programming! What? We the people are sleeping. Wake up.

Comment by Rio Blue – May 12, 2013 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only shows that I cared about that were canceled were Smash, Body of Proof, and Malibu Country; but none of their cancellations stung that bad. Loosing Smash will probably hurt more than the other two.

Comment by Elizabeth – May 12, 2013 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Burn Notice wasnt Cancelled. It is ending there is a huge difference it shouldnt even be on the list

Comment by ggny – May 12, 2013 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SMASH! Great music, characters were developing, stories were evolving and it could have had a long run (unintended pun) because the appreciative fan base was growing………..

Comment by Sharon – May 12, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SouthLAnd BY FAR. Such a wonderful show that deserved many more seasons. Someone give Cudlitz an emmy already!

Comment by Amy – May 12, 2013 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Missing smash slready :( please reconsider.

Comment by cathy – May 12, 2013 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck and Fringe!

But seriously, nothing that I love got canceled this year… which isn’t saying much since the TV landscape kinda sucks these days. Arrow and Supernatural make Wednesday worth looking forward to. Other than that, the shows I’ve been watching have been just to waste time.

A couple of years ago there were some really good shows on every night. What happened?

Comment by Drew – May 12, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • At least we were lucky Fringe an Chuck got the chance to make a finale, not like CSI Miami

Comment by Lorena – May 12, 2013 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m not a CSI guy, but I do appreciate a proper series finale.

Comment by Drew – May 12, 2013 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I grew up around music and musical theater, so I was very happy when GLEE came out. Then came SMASH. It quickly became my favorite show. It’s more adult oriented than GLEE with better acting and better storylines. The cast is superb. Megan Hilty and Christian Borle are 2 of my favorite Broadway stars, and I was thrilled to see them on the serries together. I never missed an episode. I think NBC is making a HUGE mistake in cancelling it.

Comment by Gayle Charette – May 12, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am really disappointed to see “Vegas” get the ax. It was well written and performed, and gave a great portrayal of the city in the 1960′s. It’s a shame it was given the kiss-of-death that is a Friday night slot at the mid-season break. When that happened, I knew it was on its way out.

Comment by Cate Amos – May 12, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whitney is the only one on the list I like but I can’t say I’m that upset. For once my favorite shows have been renewed and I’m very happy about it :D can’t wait for more BATB. VAMPIRE DIARIES. NEW GIRL <3

Comment by lynn – May 12, 2013 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Burn Notice is ending of its own volition and is not cancelled so it shouldn’t be on this list. Other wise you should include Dexter as they have announced that season 8 is it’s last as well. Of the actual cancelled shows the only one I watch is Southland so I voted for it.

Comment by phil – May 12, 2013 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Endings, man. That one hurt.

Comment by supernaturalsnark – May 12, 2013 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only watched 2 shows this season- SMASH and Deception- both on NBC and both cancelled. Biggest disappointment is SMASH- it was a family affair every week with us- we never missed it. The talent is amazing of the Broadway dancers. Megan Hilty is incredible!!! It was a total pleasure to be truly entertained by great talent.

Comment by Connie – May 12, 2013 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rules of Engagement had a nice run. Would have loved to have seen a proper ending, otherwise, I’m okay with every other cancellation except The New Normal, that was a great little show.

Comment by Mel – May 12, 2013 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only watched 3 of the shows on the list — Go On, The New Normal, and Vegas. Truthfully I won’t miss any of them much. I recorded the two comedies on my TIVO and so they were available when I felt in a comedy mood. The only comedy I really like is Big Bang Theory. Vegas I watched faithfully for the first four or five shows and I liked it. I kept recording the rest of the season but it was such a low priority I never got back to them. I guess viewers like me are the reason it is being cancelled. It was not a bad show. RIP Vegas.

Comment by ChicagoGrrl – May 12, 2013 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go On stung the most because I was so sure it was gonna be renewed. I liked Southland most of all the cancelled shows but since two of the leads were cast in pilots I new there was a strong possibility it wasn’t coming back.

Comment by Kim – May 12, 2013 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Emily Owens m.d. still can’t get over it… The last episodes were so good ! Such a waste to have cancelled this show…

Comment by Lizzy – May 12, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vegas, Body of Proof, and Burn Notice, but I voted for Vegas. At least Burn Notice has one last season, and Body of Proof has already had three seasons, although I think that it deserved more.

Comment by MelindaB – May 12, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t vote for any. I would have voted for Golden Boy but it hasn’t been very good the past few episodes.

Comment by c0rinne – May 12, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll miss Smash and Go On. Really mad about both of them being cancelled. I will continue watching the maybe two NBC shows we currently watch but no new NBC shows. The two we’ll watch are Revolution and Parks and Rec.

Comment by Pat Bahr – May 12, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash is my favorite show currently on TV because it is the most entertaining and engaging. It is the only show I will watch all the way through without getting up and walking away. Everything else is a variation of something already on or a remake. Not into so called reality shows either.

Comment by Marla Anderson – May 12, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It hurt my heart that FOx cancelled Fringe, but at least we had a finale, but now Go On and Last Resort, for the other shows i didnt watch anyo

Comment by Lorena – May 12, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Burn Notice, because it kept find ways to reinvent itself and bring something new to each season – but I doubt they could’ve kept up the show’s overall quality much longer, so I’ll just live with it. At least they got a final season to close it out properly.

Comment by Sheldon W. – May 12, 2013 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am sick of garbage pseudo-reality shows instead of fun entertainment. Smash made me really smile, and I will miss it terribly. How sad that Smash could not be a Fox show and tie in the 1st season talent as new and upcoming talent on Broadway!
    I yearn for the days of Seinfeld, M*A*S*H, and Hill Street Blues-sharp writing that kept you in anticipation of new shows on network television!!!
    Cable channels are getting smarter than network nitwits and have some great options!
    ~ I am thankful at least for The Americans, Breaking Bad (sadly finishing), The Big Bang Theory, Scandal, and Criminal Minds, at least they show us that writing is still an art form.

Boo NBC, you disappoint so many and so often time and time again.

Comment by SD Suzie – May 12, 2013 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love how SMASH shows some of the things that go on behind the scenes of Broadway. It’s interesting and compel me to watch. I like how characters don’t just have one side to them. I wish it could go on. After a week of work and college, I like to sit down for my regular weekly episode of SMASH since I can’t view it live. I don’t want to find another show to sink into.

Comment by Mien – May 12, 2013 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash by far. There is so much amazing talent on that show. NBC never gave it a real shot. They waited a whole YEAR to start the second season, they presented the show as if its star was Jennifer Hudson (who was on maybe 2-3 episodes), and they quit on it after a few weeks moving it to the death-trap that is Saturday night TV. I haven’t seen a commercial for Smash since it’s first two shows this season. NBC quits when they don’t see quick results, then point fingers. It’s your fault NBC. I can only pray someone else picks it up, but seeing what you have done to it, I won’t hold my breath. I have never been so sad over a cancellation. Now, I have no reason to watch NBC anymore. Smash was an excellent show that was well done and different. I will continue to watch the re-runs on DVD.

Comment by Jennifer – May 12, 2013 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Monday Mornings because it had such a great cast, unusual storylines. I wonder if that show would have done better on a major network rather than late at night on TNT.

Comment by arial2 – May 12, 2013 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I made the mistake of becoming so invested with red widow. It was really a great show, I was excited for each episode each week. After the poor ratings I should of stopped watching it before it took my attention. Now I feel like some one took a part of my year with nothing to get back.

Comment by Rjw – May 12, 2013 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Endings in the lead! Take note USA and other basic cable networks!!!

Comment by Lydia – May 12, 2013 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vegas – I will miss it.

Comment by barbara armstrong – May 12, 2013 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was Hannibal not good enough for a cancellation notice? I don’t see it on the NBC Fall schedule. Someone please tell me the fate of Hannibal?! I can’t be the only one waiting on pins and needles about this show being renewed.

Comment by spikespeigel (@spikespeigel) – May 12, 2013 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash, Emily Owens MD(didnt get a proper ending)&90210(also not getting a proper ending despite being a five year old show).

Comment by Brandy – May 12, 2013 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can I still choose Chuck?

Comment by Guy – May 12, 2013 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^^^This. No. Seriously. This. Esp to clean up that wack ass series ender…

Comment by sladewilson – May 12, 2013 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew they would cancel Happy Endings but I’m hoping they pull a “Cougar Town” and get on a cable network (USA, TNT, TBS). I was hoping Golden Boy would survive. I was mildly surprised by Body of Proof (but the cast changes kinda killed that and making DD’s character even more bitchy than last season) and I liked Whitney’s show but I had a feeling it was gonna get the axe. Most dissappointed about Golden Boy. I liked the premise and the whole seven years in the future deal. That was cool. I do agree now that Mark Valley and Chi McBride are open bring back Human Target and act like that last season never happened… Like Biggie said, “It was all a dream….” LMAO

Comment by sladewilson – May 12, 2013 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It will get a final short run on HBO this season, but I will miss TREME. It was one of the best made, well written, original and unique shows ever on TV.

Comment by Tahoe Mike – May 12, 2013 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SMASH, my favorite show. So sad, praying another network will pick it up. So well written and acted and the songs and the music. I hate it when they move the show around so much you have to set a reminder to remember when you favorite show is on. Heartbreaking.

Comment by Debbi – May 12, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am sad to see Smash end. It was one of my favorite shows. I can’t believe that NBC would cancel a show with great talent and songs. It was the perfect broadway show that could appeal to all ages. I am disappointed to see Smash end. I hope the finale does the show justice.

Comment by Faith – May 12, 2013 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • smash…..songwriting was amazing. Both Bombshell and Hit List could open on Broadway tomorrow. Amazing talent on that show and it gave a look a Broadway theater goes don’t see or appreciate. Hopefully another station will pick it up: are you listening Lifetime, Showtime, OWN, etc? Also, this was a real show, not another ridiculous reality show…… Give us SMASH back….

Comment by Liz – May 12, 2013 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so sad to see Smash come to an end. Finally had a show that I couldn’t wait to see EVERY week and now it’s gone :( We needed something different and this show was it!!! So tired of all the police and fake reality shows!!!!!!

Comment by Michelle – May 12, 2013 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Liked Tuesday nite for CBS. Didn’t have to change the channel all evening.

“Golden Boy” was developing probably too slowly but I think it was building a nice foundation. There was C*** that CBS should have deleted.

Comment by Rick Katze – May 12, 2013 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Endings and Go On hurt the most.

Comment by Mike – May 12, 2013 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash, seemed like a real insight as to how hard it is to get anywhere on Broadway. Lots of good singers and dancers. Plots did get kind of corney. Boldy of Proof, and CSI NY, had some good story lines and great casts. Hope they re-consider.

Comment by Bill & Peggy – May 12, 2013 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted for Go On. It had just begun to find itself and a proper balance between the members of the group and Ryan’s workplace getting screen time and had the right amount of absurdity to make it appealing to me.
    The only other show on this list I had seen multiple episodes of was Rules of Engagement (which had a decent run and made no effort to move its storylines forward). Can’t say it was being shortchanged. I feel Go On was.

Comment by Timothy McNeil – May 12, 2013 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • seriously you say Smash and Happy Endings as your top two and the show had less than a 3 rating in it’s end…….if you really wanted those shows to stay on you would have watched them. As opposed to Body of Proof and CSI : NY which won it’s time slots week after week.

Comment by K – May 12, 2013 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post