Poll: Which Recent Cancellation Stung the Most?

Get More: Cancellations

Bad SeedsMay 10, 2013 – a day that will live in TV infamy.

For those keeping track at home, a staggering 16 shows were on the receiving end of pink slips this past Friday. Add Thursday’s death toll to that equation and the number climbs to 22 in just 48 hours.

RELATED | Complete 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What Got Cancelled? What’s Returning?

And while several cancellations were viewed as mercy killings, many of them were greeted with shock, awe and disgust. Which got us wondering — which recent plug-pulling depressed you the most?

Scroll down, vote in our poll, and then justify your pick in the comments section.

Comments (487)

• I lost 13 of the ones I watch but Body of Proof was the most surprising!

Comment by JD – May 12, 2013 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Monday Mornings, I think the idea was very good but the show was really boring, but Jamie Bamber deserved to be on a hit show, to have a shower scene, show us his amazing eyes every week.

Comment by Alia – May 12, 2013 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Boring?!?!?! You must’ve been watching a different show…it was fantastic.

Comment by linruss – June 12, 2013 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SMASH…will be missed. It was amazing. Full of talent. So sad.

Comment by Lisa Rearden – May 12, 2013 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go On over Happy Endings because at least the latter got a few seasons, and might get picked up by USA *crossing my fingers*

Comment by cjeffery7 – May 12, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed Malibu Country. I love Reba’s comedic timing. Probably my biggest guilty pleasure of the season.

Comment by Esaul – May 12, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was the first time in a long time where I didn’t get my heart broken. I’ll miss Happy Endings (unless it gets picked up elsewhere), but I prepared myself, so I didn’t make a scene.

Comment by Tricia – May 12, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was very sad to find out that Smash got cancelled. I really loved it.

Comment by Patricia – May 12, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted for Go On but I loved Smash and Deception too. Go On was the only half hour show I watched. Can’t believe they yanked it. Typical NBC. I’ve learned my lesson and won’t be watching anything on the network anymore. At least the other networks give shows a chance.

Comment by Jodee – May 12, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SouthLAnd is rather raw for me still. Can’t deal with it – it’s like someone has died but I’m in denial still. It WILL be back next January and then I’ll cry when it doesn’t :/

Comment by Cate – May 12, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really going to miss Happy Endings. Love that show. Less invested but still liked Go On, New Normal & Deception.

Comment by theresa – May 12, 2013 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vegas. I hate how they left the Jack/Mia story. Wish they’d have some sort of resolution to conclude the whole thing

Comment by Trent – May 12, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Endings needs to move to TBS. team it with cougar town. There basically the same premise just done in two totally opposite and hysterical ways…they fit in my opinion.

Comment by Lildemon – May 12, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • rules of engagement are they serious? people actually watched Whitney?

Comment by dj – May 12, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go On was awesome. I have no idea how Community hung on with its ratings, but Go On got canceled.

Comment by Amber – May 12, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SMASH ! WHY SMASH ? THIS TVSHOW WAS SO COOL. I’m so sad.

Comment by Salomé – May 12, 2013 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash really was starting to find it’s ground… And The New Normal had such a wonderful message!! Hopefully these shows aren’t gone for good.

Comment by Sarah – May 12, 2013 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does deciding to end a show really count as a cancelation? That’s what I was under the impression happened with Burn Notice.

Comment by Aleksa – May 12, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Endings and Don’t Trust the B!

Comment by Jennifer – May 12, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll miss SMASH most of all. Took a while, but good story and entertainment. Any way to make a cheaper version? Nice to have a non violent/bloody 10:00pm show. Could have used more comedy. Too soapy sometimes, but did not miss it.

Next, Go On. Actually missed part of NCIS LA to see it.

Comment by Tom – May 12, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Burn Notice but I don’t see it as a tragedy. I’m not really sure I’d call it a cancellation. Cancellation to me is when a show is taken off the air in a rather abrupt manner.

Not when the show gets one more season and then calls it a day.

Comment by DJ Doena – May 12, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • oh ok at least it’ll have one more season and a proper ending … Burden of Proof is a surprise ..poor Mark Valley .. haven’t all of his shows been cancelled?

Comment by Shein Die – May 12, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah I don’t really think it should be on this list. Announcing its upcoming 7th season will be the last isn’t the same as canceling a show at the end of its season. It’s just the standard way to end a long running series that’s coming to an end..

Comment by Jessica – May 12, 2013 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only two shows on this list that I actually liked were ‘Body of Proof’ and ‘Monday Mornings’ which had a different style to it with his rehashing of what should have been done correctly. Body of Proof, maybe was annoying because the ME was all over herself and the faces she would make! I don’t know if a ME actually goes out in the field like she did. And again, it was ‘how her father actually died’ type story line which is so tired now since it has been used on SO many different shows over the years and still is on Castle. We had Crossing Jordan, Bones, Rizzoli & Isles. And those are just the ones I watch(ed)!

Comment by Mrs. Peele – May 12, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everytime a network begins a new show with good acting and quality storyline, it gives it a minimum amount of time, and cancels. I remember when shows began in September and lasted until Memorial Day! Plenty of time for everyone to find it and appreciate it. Now they move the shows around, and no one can even find them. They end the seaason in a couple of months and by the time the next season starts months, or a year later, you can’t remember the first season!

I’m at the point I no longer want to watch anything new on network any more. Why bother? It’ll be gone in no time!

The networks are all about fast, cheap entertainment…….reality shows and silly sitcoms. Makes me ashamed of the viewing public for watching the crap and letting them get away with it!

Comment by Deborah – May 12, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that NBC just wanted to be assholes this time around, I was totally shocked about Go On and The new normal and I despite what people say I enjoyed whitney so im disappointed with NBC. As for ABC the only cancelation worth being upset about was happy endings but I’m hoping another network will pick them up.

Comment by Yve – May 12, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The one that hurt the most was The New Normal for me. I love heartwarming comedic family shows and I would have loved to see Bryan and David deal with a new born in the next season (amongst other story lines). Smash hurt too, I am a huge theatre junkie and I wanted another season but I always had a feeling it would eventually be cancelled. Happy Endings is probably the cancellation that surprised me most because it’s in in 3rd season and it is well liked so i’m just hoping USA picks it up ASAP!

Comment by Sarah K – May 12, 2013 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved Monday Mornings… it got better each week. Drama, Humor, and some really different characters. I will really miss this one. Not enough promoting… no one I know had heard of it, I was always telling people to watch it. Not Do, Dead.

Comment by cheryl – May 12, 2013 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Southland is the best, grittiest and closest thing to reality. Burn Notice…what the hell??!!! And Vegas was just building up steam. So stupid! Let’s keep Splash and Wipeout but get rid of awesomely written dramas. The network execs most be smoking crack!

Comment by Dave Kogan – May 12, 2013 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Private Practice, it was just too soon :(

Comment by Leonie Henckell (@LeonieJH) – May 12, 2013 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Body of Proof! It was the top show in its time slot. How can they cancel the show if 8-9 million people?! Who cares about the 18-49 demographics!

Comment by Dani – May 12, 2013 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t watch a single one of those. I’m surprised with some of them though, I thought they had more of a following and good ratings.

Comment by autumndreamer76 – May 12, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash, it’s one of the better shows, very talented actors, beautiful music and an awesome storyline. I truly hope another network will pick it up. It happened with JAG and they had a super long run with the second network. Also a little disappointed about CSI MY and Malibu Country.

Comment by Diane – May 12, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only one I really watched was Smash and I can see it getting canned.

Comment by Laurie – May 12, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was so very sad to hear that my favorite show, Smash, was not going to be returning for a 3rd season. I’ve watched every episode since the first, and watching Smash was a true perk during each week. I loved watching all the talent, the singing, the dancing, and I adored many of the actors/actresses/characters. I can’t tell you how disappointed I am in NBC for nixing this show.

Comment by Kelli Samson – May 12, 2013 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love how family tools has gotten no votes

Comment by Tom Charles – May 12, 2013 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why are they canceling Smash? They cancel all of the good shows like last season’s Pan Am, GCB, Charlie’s Angels. What’s next? Once Upon A Time? :(

Comment by Marcos – May 12, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Endings recently, but Emily Owens and Last Resort also stung.

Comment by kavyn – May 12, 2013 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I kind of knew it was coming, but I still held out hope that they would keep my favorite show around for another season. Smash is amazing and has the potential to be even greater. #keepSMASHING

Comment by Laura – May 12, 2013 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash and The New Normal saddened me but I knew they were coming, Burn Notice and Body of Proof were surprises! I didn’t know either was in danger!

Comment by bamabunny – May 12, 2013 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i have not seen any of these shows

Comment by heidi – May 12, 2013 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • southland, happy endings and the new normal. Ugh 😥😥😥😥😥

Comment by Jackie – May 12, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Smash. From the awesome songs, to the behind the scenes of a broadway show. It’s as close as I’ll come to ever seeing a show on broadway in person. Hate that it’s getting taken off the air. Maybe ,I’ll get lucky and another network will pick it up.

Comment by stacy – May 12, 2013 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash was the best entertaining never missed a show please other networks look at this show and pick it up you won’t be sorry!!

Comment by elle flynn – May 12, 2013 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Body of Proof and Malibu Country

Comment by Boiler – May 12, 2013 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually I was stunned by Body of Proof with the number of people watching it. I think someone needs to look at the idiocy of the demographic

Comment by Boiler – May 12, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wasn’t surprised because the complete overhaul of the show from last season and it’s previous cancellation then resuscitation had already spelled out doom. The ratings were atrocious after the overhaul.

Comment by MzTeaze – May 12, 2013 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t think 9 million watching a show is atricious. And the demographic measure is idiocy

Comment by Boiler – May 12, 2013 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go On getting cancelled was like a punch in the stomach.

Comment by Babybop – May 12, 2013 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m more pissed about Eureka being cancelled than any of those. I never bought into Michael Chiklis as a Chicago mobster. Golden Boy has potential if the future had more than 30 sec. at the end of each show.

Comment by Art Brodsky – May 12, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For me, Deception because I think they were building their audience in the same way that Scandal built it’s audience. They had a very active social media presence with low but steady upticks in ratings. I think their season two would have seen the show break out in a similar way that Scandal broke out. They would have seen more respectable ratings in season 2.

Vegas was the other show I was hoping would get saved. But with the upcoming syndication deal for Hawaii Five-0 (which has terrible storylines IMHO), the handwriting was on the wall early in the season. It was clear that CBS was NOT support that show in favor of HF0 to preserve it’s fifth (and likely) final season.

Comment by MzTeaze – May 12, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would It Have Killed CBS to Give CSI:NY a 10th Season? It was winning its time slot it was the best of the CSI franchise and it represented New York do well. Damn you Nina Tassler And Led Moonves. You Just Lost A Loyal Viewer of the do called ” Tiffany Network” Kiss My Ass!

Comment by paul – May 12, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chiming in for the loss of Southland. Talk about smart and well-written television. We’re losing a gem with the loss of this one.

Comment by Nunaya_Bidness – May 12, 2013 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Endings stung me the most. Hope it better move it to USA Network soon.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – May 12, 2013 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Go On! I’ll miss that dysfunctional family.

Comment by Kristine S. – May 12, 2013 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash, but we saw it coming. The New Normal was slightly promising, but ended up being a waste of time. This is the first I’m hearing of Burn Notice’s cancellation, but they lost me a season or two ago.

Comment by Kristi – May 12, 2013 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post