Fall TV Preview

Fall TV: Full Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D. Promo Teases Hulk, Thor and Cappy, Rage from Luke Cage (?)

ABC on Sunday night, during Once Upon a Time‘s Season 2 finale, debuted the first full promo for Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., the Joss Whedon-sired Avengers follow-up series, and it includes glimpses of a certain big green guy, Thor’s hammer, Captain America’s mighty shield and a bit of body-slamming by someone that appears to be Luke Cage.

RELATED | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to All That’s New for 2013-14

News of a drop-by from the superpowered Cage first swirled when Angel alum J. August Richards was cast in the pilot in a top-secret capacity. Is the top secret now out?

RELATED | Joss Whedon on S.H.I.E.L.D.‘s Title Change, Avengers Synergy and Coulson’s ‘Rebirth’

The promo promises a continuation of the “saga” that began with Whedon’s first Avengers movie, and it is narrated by Clark Gregg’s Agent Phil Coulson — last seen on the big screen, dying — who says, “The whole world’s in on the action now.”

ABC will announce S.H.I.E.L.D.‘s place on its 2013-14 schedule this Tuesday, as part of the broadcast networks’ week-long Upfronts presentation extravaganza.

Comments (76)

• That is what I have been thinking as well since the teaser came out – it sure looks like J. August under that hood and hey, observe the yellow pants he wears (since yellow is something that he wears in the comics and so on). Can’t wait for the full promo!

Comment by Andy Behbakht – May 12, 2013 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess this will be my new badass show, once Nikita ends

Comment by M – May 12, 2013 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sweet Christmas – J. August Edwards BETTER be Luke Cage! (And if he is… who’ll be Iron Fist?)

Comment by Steve F. – May 12, 2013 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m sorry but this show will never compare to NIKITA.

Comment by Jared – May 12, 2013 11:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • While I do love Nikita. Have you ever seen a Joss Whedon show?

Comment by Russ – May 13, 2013 12:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So what are the chances the audience numbers for this as high as Body of Proof??

Comment by Boiler – May 12, 2013 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • it’ll be MUCH higher. I can see this having the highest rated series premiere next season.

Comment by ZmaX – May 12, 2013 11:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #CoulsonLives is the best use of a hashtag ever.

Comment by Brooke – May 12, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i dont know about u guys, but it looks like coulson has a bit of a limp.

Comment by Taryn – May 12, 2013 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • to me it seemed like (if he actually did die) that this is the immediate aftermath of his return and that he is still injured.

Comment by Alan – May 12, 2013 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • all i needed to see. I predict this will be my favorite new show of next fall.

Comment by James – May 12, 2013 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The article mentions Thorr, Hulk, and Captain America, but doesn’t mention what is obviously Iron Man flying through the sky.

Comment by Sg. Grant – May 13, 2013 02:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Clips from the Avengers, nothing more.

Can’t wait for Luke Cage.

Comment by canadian ninja – May 13, 2013 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THURSDAY IS NOT THE SLOT FOR IT!!! First, it will get killed by “Big Bang”. Second, the audience on Thursdays ABC is *women*. Take a look at the track record people—Flash Forward, anyone? Last Resort, you say? The only show to have success there was Ugly Betty.

I think they should put it on Sundays after Once Upon A Time….great fantasy night on ABC, followed by Revenge at 10

Comment by Michael – May 12, 2013 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ABC will more than likely be putting it’s Wonderland series behind Once Upon a Time. Revenge will probably move after that or to a new day all together.

Comment by Tori – May 12, 2013 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ONCE and WONDERLAND won’t air concurrently.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – May 12, 2013 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The Wonderland series is to fill the time while OUaT is on winter hiatus. The two shows will very likely never air at the same time of year

Comment by Isaac – May 12, 2013 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Right, Wonderland is airing when OUaT isn’t during a break- it’s more of a miniseries.

Comment by FinnGoDo – May 13, 2013 12:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wednesday? the same time Arrow!! i think that is perfect, i mean Marvel vs DC Comics

Comment by Lorena – May 12, 2013 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • NBC just moved Revolution to the same time that Arrow currently airs, so it would be crowded with Shield in there as well. If that holds up, I guess I’ll be DVRing 2 of those and downloading via torrent the third and The Middle.

Comment by Sg. Grant – May 13, 2013 02:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tuesday or Wednesday is where it’ll work. Avoid football and Thursday is the kiss of death.

Comment by B – May 12, 2013 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HEY, WOMAN LIKE SUPER HEROS TOO, I mean Iron man, hulk, Cap America, Thor, Blackwidow and Hawkeye – whats not to love, the avengers was an awesome film, hope the series is good, and its directed by joss Whedon

Comment by ceri – May 12, 2013 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you ceri!! I am a woman and am in the process of writing my dissertation proposal. ….. my working title is The Evolution Of The Superhero

Comment by katy917 – May 13, 2013 05:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ve got to agree with Ceri. I am a woman who will definitely watch this live and I know quite a few more who will do so also.

Comment by GeekGirl13 – May 13, 2013 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This won’t air Thursdays. It will air Sundays at 9pm after Once. They are a match made in heaven. Wonderland will air when Once doesn’t. That was the whole point of the spin-off iirc. Revenge may move to Thursdays at 8pm but most likely will probably move back to Wednesdays at 10pm.

Comment by greysfan – May 13, 2013 01:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ABC will move Castle to Thursdays before Grey’s Anatomy and air SHIELD on Monday nights, Now that Revolution is moving, SHIELD would crush whatever new garbage NBC will air in that timeslot.

Comment by Sg. Grant – May 13, 2013 02:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I vote Mondays after Castle.

Comment by Alban – May 12, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • After Castle would be local news. Castle is the cap off for the Monday Primetime block…

Comment by Joe – May 12, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! #CoulsonLives

Comment by Mari – May 12, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It should not be on sunday, why put a male centric show against sunday night football. And ABC is not going to cut dancing with stars, so behind castle on monday wont work. Think people.

Comment by Chris – May 12, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have never wanted a pilot to leak so much in my life! It’s going to be a long wait!!

Comment by Rae – May 12, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im not even a big comic book/superhero fan but SHIELD looks so good! Can’t wait to see the pilot.

Comment by Jared – May 12, 2013 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want this on Sundays paired up with OUAT (and Wonderland when necessary) Revenge needs to go back to Wednesdays.

Comment by Heather – May 12, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Heather, think! Sunday is Game of Thrones/Walking Dead territory. Putting this up against it is asking for problems.

Comment by Eli – May 12, 2013 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • since nobody has mentioned it put it on tuesday, from what i can tell looking in from the outside (ie as a foreigner who doesnt live in america) that seems to be a slow day in the schedules where not much happens, although that my be just because of my personal tastes so i dont keep up with things that do air on a tuesday.

Comment by Alan – May 12, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tuesdays are NCIS night on CBS – given the massive popularity of NCIS at the moment, it might not be such a good idea to put Agents of Shield opposite it on ABC.

Comment by Dreamrose – May 12, 2013 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think those 2 shows draw very different crowds though.

Comment by Eli – May 12, 2013 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, NCIS has an older crowd that probably would less-likely be interested in AofS anyway.

Comment by FinnGoDo – May 13, 2013 12:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • NCIS is the most popular show on TV. AoS will get killed on Tuesday nights. Sunday nights after OUAT is perfect because it likely goes up against The Good Wife. Talk about probable two different crowds…

Comment by sladewilson – May 13, 2013 02:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s is not much tv on wednesdaysn it could work that day pretty well… At least not the shows I watch, for the exception of arrow, air on wednesday…

Comment by luli – May 12, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope its on either Tuesday or Wednesday night or between Once Upon a Time and Revenge on Sunday.

Comment by Robert – May 12, 2013 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gotta be on Wednesdays… NCIS isn’t the top rated show for nothing.

Comment by Bruzer51 – May 12, 2013 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Tuesdays against NCIS would work pretty well, actually. NCIS skews towards an older demographic, as much of CBS demos do. Avengers would be the winner of the 18-45 demo hands down.

Comment by FinnGoDo – May 13, 2013 12:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ll bet will be wednesday, going the same time Arrow, imagine Marvel vs DC!

Comment by Lorena – May 12, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sweet Christmas.

Comment by Michael Sacal – May 12, 2013 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No matter what night they put this show on, it’s going to be up against stiff competition. No network can say “Well, this night is no good because other networks have big draws then”. This one even has a built-in audience that other shows don’t have.

Comment by TK – May 12, 2013 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #Don’tTouchLola

Comment by Valeria Kementari (@ValeKementari) – May 12, 2013 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How are they sure that it’s Luke Cage?

Comment by Jellymoff – May 12, 2013 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Marvel doesn’t have many Black Superheroes that have that displayed power set. He’s wearing yellow (which is something Luke Cage is typically garbed in), that and the fact that J. August Richards’ character was the ONLY one to not be announced, just that he was playing a character that they couldn’t say who… If it was a brand new character there wouldn’t be the need for secrecy..

Comment by Erik – May 12, 2013 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Clearly he’s not T’Challa, so that, pretty much, only leaves Luke Cage. Unless they cast a black actor to play a white character…

Comment by Michael Sacal – May 12, 2013 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was reported a while ago that Whedon had cast one of his angel friends in a new role. I guess he is Luke Cage. The black guy for angel. I don’t know his name.

Comment by CBWBDK1 – May 13, 2013 01:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like a cheap Heroes 2.0.

Comment by YowzaPowza – May 12, 2013 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s like a better version of Ultimate Spider-Man, without the idiocy of Coulson pretending to be a high school principal and focused on him as an agent of SHIELD.

Comment by Michael Sacal – May 12, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait, is that the guy that died in Avengers, the one that was in a few of the Iron Mans? Is this a prequel? So confused. Admittedly ignorant too, as I’m not all that into those movies – But I liked him!

Comment by Bailey – May 12, 2013 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sequel, not prequel, hence Coulsonlives

Comment by Michael Sacal – May 12, 2013 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We saw him take what appeared to be his last breath and it was then said that he died. IT was also explained that his death was what gave them something to avenge. Even though he ultimately didn’t die, the lie about his death still helped them fulfill that purpose.

Comment by KLO – May 12, 2013 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • with a built in audience from the avengers franchise, I predict a strong start. The writing and directing will determine its longevity (unless its up against a ratings powerhouse from CBS). Only the voice is a strong competitor from nbc.

Comment by forrest – May 12, 2013 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope the “suits” at ABC don’t try to put it opposite “Arrow.” That would be a good way to fracture two genre shows.

They probably have a winner in “Shield” if it goes against something that does not draw the same audience. Avoid football and NCIS.

Whether ABC will be that smart is an open question.

Comment by Rick Katze – May 12, 2013 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Again, NCIS wouldn’t be much competition as that show typically draw in the 45+ demographic. Avenger target is definitely 18-45 demo, something Abc already attracts more of than CBS

Comment by FinnGoDo – May 13, 2013 12:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Out of all the comeptitors it could go up against, I don’t think ABC is concerned about “Arrow.” It may get good ratings for The CW, but it’s The CW… none of the shows get great ratings.
      Besides, show me a comic book geek and I’ll show you somebody who will watch SHIELD over Arrow any day of the week.

Comment by soundscene – May 13, 2013 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks great now, but I worry will be seeing this promo countless times throughout the summer, which kind of turns me off.

Comment by Mike – May 12, 2013 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this show can keep up and even build the audience for two seasons, you can bet the season 2 cliff hanger will be a direct lead in to Avengers 2, which in turn will create a new jump off point for SHIELD season 3. Could be a whole new way of storytelling on screen here. The off-season for the show will be broken by a huge Marvel movie in the summer, and the wait between summers for a movie will be filled with SHIELD. This could really work wonders, the only thing going against it is that it’s genre tv. But I have my fingers crossed.

Comment by DG – May 12, 2013 10:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope it works better than X-Files Fights the Future, which tried to do the same thing.

Comment by FinnGoDo – May 13, 2013 12:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Marvel and Disney (and Whedon i guess) made an incredible job connecting 5 movies to lead to Avengers without any continuity issue (well I didn’t noticed any) and now expanding the universe with a phase 2 AND a serie? I hope the serie will definitely make reference to Avengers 1 and lead to Avengers 2 among the other movies.

Comment by Azerty – May 13, 2013 05:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sure ABC, lets put another “male skewing” show in the same Thursday 8pm time slot where 3 other “male skewing” shows have just failed repeatedly for the last 3 seasons!?

Comment by Jared – May 12, 2013 11:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So. Freaking. Excited. I’ll be spending all off-season praying to the TV gods that AoS turns out good and finds its audience fast.

Comment by Amy – May 13, 2013 12:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, seems like ABC has a tough task ahead of them when it comes to deciding what time slot this show should get. I agree with some that say they should keep it away from Sundays, Mondays, and Thursdays. Football and tv’s most competitive night just seems like a horrible idea. On that note, I really hope that once HIMYM is over Cobie Smulders decides to join this show. She might want to do movies after HIMYM… but I can’t see how walking away from this show would be a smart move on her part given the success of The Avengers and the success her character had. I know she didn’t have a huge part in the movie but I really liked her as Maria Hill.

Comment by Alex H – May 13, 2013 04:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please don’t be another FlashForward/Alcatraz/Terra Nova…you know those shows which are supposed to be a huge hit, expected by many fans but finally don’t last for long…However according to that 30s amazing trailer + how good was Avengers + how talented is Whedon I guess we won’t be disappointed. I agree with everybody saying that Cobie Smulders should join this as soon as How I met is over.

Comment by Azerty – May 13, 2013 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • With the huge backing of Disney behind it, I really don’t think it will fail.
      I know Disney owns ABC, but as Disney owns Marvel (and Marvel is their biggest cash-cow right now) letting SHIELD live on, even for a couple of seasons to tie the whole MCU together would be a benefit to them.

My only worry is that Joss Whedon might well be far too busy to keep on writing the scripts for this, if he has to finish up Avengers 2 and probably go on to direct Avengers 3

Comment by James – May 13, 2013 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • joss isnt executive producing this, his brother jed and his wife who’s name i can’t spell are going to be running the show and writing most of it. joss has said he will write for it when he can but his main concern is coordinating the phase 2 movies and writing avengers 2.

Comment by Alan – May 13, 2013 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its defiantly Luke Cage

Comment by Catlin – May 13, 2013 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My geek-fan self has just stop breathing for 30 seconds… I just can’t wait to watch this!!!

Comment by Tinemi – May 13, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think a lot of you are missing the point here. ABC is putting this much time and energy into MAoS BECAUSE it can survive any slot.

Walking Dead? Arrow? Seriously? Only sporting events can compete–they could put this on at 5:30am before the farm report and you would all watch.

This is a no-brainier slam dunk win like Lost was.

Comment by Morrowman23 – May 13, 2013 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post