Fall TV: Full Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D. Promo Teases Hulk, Thor and Cappy, Rage from Luke Cage (?)

ABC on Sunday night, during Once Upon a Time‘s Season 2 finale, debuted the first full promo for Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., the Joss Whedon-sired Avengers follow-up series, and it includes glimpses of a certain big green guy, Thor’s hammer, Captain America’s mighty shield and a bit of body-slamming by someone that appears to be Luke Cage.

RELATED | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to All That’s New for 2013-14

News of a drop-by from the superpowered Cage first swirled when Angel alum J. August Richards was cast in the pilot in a top-secret capacity. Is the top secret now out?

RELATED | Joss Whedon on S.H.I.E.L.D.‘s Title Change, Avengers Synergy and Coulson’s ‘Rebirth’

The promo promises a continuation of the “saga” that began with Whedon’s first Avengers movie, and it is narrated by Clark Gregg’s Agent Phil Coulson — last seen on the big screen, dying — who says, “The whole world’s in on the action now.”

ABC will announce S.H.I.E.L.D.‘s place on its 2013-14 schedule this Tuesday, as part of the broadcast networks’ week-long Upfronts presentation extravaganza.

1. That is what I have been thinking as well since the teaser came out – it sure looks like J. August under that hood and hey, observe the yellow pants he wears (since yellow is something that he wears in the comics and so on). Can’t wait for the full promo!

2. M says:

I guess this will be my new badass show, once Nikita ends

3. Boiler says:

So what are the chances the audience numbers for this as high as Body of Proof??

4. Brooke says:

#CoulsonLives is the best use of a hashtag ever.

5. Taryn says:

i dont know about u guys, but it looks like coulson has a bit of a limp.

• Alan says:

to me it seemed like (if he actually did die) that this is the immediate aftermath of his return and that he is still injured.

6. James says:

all i needed to see. I predict this will be my favorite new show of next fall.

7. Michael says:

THURSDAY IS NOT THE SLOT FOR IT!!! First, it will get killed by “Big Bang”. Second, the audience on Thursdays ABC is *women*. Take a look at the track record people—Flash Forward, anyone? Last Resort, you say? The only show to have success there was Ugly Betty.

I think they should put it on Sundays after Once Upon A Time….great fantasy night on ABC, followed by Revenge at 10

• Tori says:

ABC will more than likely be putting it’s Wonderland series behind Once Upon a Time. Revenge will probably move after that or to a new day all together.

• Lorena says:

Wednesday? the same time Arrow!! i think that is perfect, i mean Marvel vs DC Comics

• Sg. Grant says:

NBC just moved Revolution to the same time that Arrow currently airs, so it would be crowded with Shield in there as well. If that holds up, I guess I’ll be DVRing 2 of those and downloading via torrent the third and The Middle.

• B says:

Tuesday or Wednesday is where it’ll work. Avoid football and Thursday is the kiss of death.

• ceri says:

HEY, WOMAN LIKE SUPER HEROS TOO, I mean Iron man, hulk, Cap America, Thor, Blackwidow and Hawkeye – whats not to love, the avengers was an awesome film, hope the series is good, and its directed by joss Whedon

• katy917 says:

Thank you ceri!! I am a woman and am in the process of writing my dissertation proposal. ….. my working title is The Evolution Of The Superhero

• GeekGirl13 says:

I’ve got to agree with Ceri. I am a woman who will definitely watch this live and I know quite a few more who will do so also.

• greysfan says:

This won’t air Thursdays. It will air Sundays at 9pm after Once. They are a match made in heaven. Wonderland will air when Once doesn’t. That was the whole point of the spin-off iirc. Revenge may move to Thursdays at 8pm but most likely will probably move back to Wednesdays at 10pm.

• Sg. Grant says:

ABC will move Castle to Thursdays before Grey’s Anatomy and air SHIELD on Monday nights, Now that Revolution is moving, SHIELD would crush whatever new garbage NBC will air in that timeslot.

8. Alban says:

I vote Mondays after Castle.

9. Mari says:

Yes! #CoulsonLives

10. Chris says:

It should not be on sunday, why put a male centric show against sunday night football. And ABC is not going to cut dancing with stars, so behind castle on monday wont work. Think people.

11. Rae says:

I have never wanted a pilot to leak so much in my life! It’s going to be a long wait!!

12. Jared says:

Im not even a big comic book/superhero fan but SHIELD looks so good! Can’t wait to see the pilot.

13. Heather says:

I want this on Sundays paired up with OUAT (and Wonderland when necessary) Revenge needs to go back to Wednesdays.

• Eli says:

Heather, think! Sunday is Game of Thrones/Walking Dead territory. Putting this up against it is asking for problems.

14. Alan says:

since nobody has mentioned it put it on tuesday, from what i can tell looking in from the outside (ie as a foreigner who doesnt live in america) that seems to be a slow day in the schedules where not much happens, although that my be just because of my personal tastes so i dont keep up with things that do air on a tuesday.

• Dreamrose says:

Tuesdays are NCIS night on CBS – given the massive popularity of NCIS at the moment, it might not be such a good idea to put Agents of Shield opposite it on ABC.

• luli says:

There’s is not much tv on wednesdaysn it could work that day pretty well… At least not the shows I watch, for the exception of arrow, air on wednesday…

15. Robert says:

Hope its on either Tuesday or Wednesday night or between Once Upon a Time and Revenge on Sunday.

16. TK says:

No matter what night they put this show on, it’s going to be up against stiff competition. No network can say “Well, this night is no good because other networks have big draws then”. This one even has a built-in audience that other shows don’t have.

17. Jellymoff says:

How are they sure that it’s Luke Cage?

• Erik says:

Marvel doesn’t have many Black Superheroes that have that displayed power set. He’s wearing yellow (which is something Luke Cage is typically garbed in), that and the fact that J. August Richards’ character was the ONLY one to not be announced, just that he was playing a character that they couldn’t say who… If it was a brand new character there wouldn’t be the need for secrecy..

• CBWBDK1 says:

It was reported a while ago that Whedon had cast one of his angel friends in a new role. I guess he is Luke Cage. The black guy for angel. I don’t know his name.

18. YowzaPowza says:

Looks like a cheap Heroes 2.0.

19. It’s like a better version of Ultimate Spider-Man, without the idiocy of Coulson pretending to be a high school principal and focused on him as an agent of SHIELD.

20. Bailey says:

Wait, is that the guy that died in Avengers, the one that was in a few of the Iron Mans? Is this a prequel? So confused. Admittedly ignorant too, as I’m not all that into those movies – But I liked him!

• Sequel, not prequel, hence Coulsonlives

• KLO says:

We saw him take what appeared to be his last breath and it was then said that he died. IT was also explained that his death was what gave them something to avenge. Even though he ultimately didn’t die, the lie about his death still helped them fulfill that purpose.

21. forrest says:

with a built in audience from the avengers franchise, I predict a strong start. The writing and directing will determine its longevity (unless its up against a ratings powerhouse from CBS). Only the voice is a strong competitor from nbc.

22. Rick Katze says:

I hope the “suits” at ABC don’t try to put it opposite “Arrow.” That would be a good way to fracture two genre shows.

They probably have a winner in “Shield” if it goes against something that does not draw the same audience. Avoid football and NCIS.

Whether ABC will be that smart is an open question.

• FinnGoDo says:

Again, NCIS wouldn’t be much competition as that show typically draw in the 45+ demographic. Avenger target is definitely 18-45 demo, something Abc already attracts more of than CBS

• soundscene says:

Out of all the comeptitors it could go up against, I don’t think ABC is concerned about “Arrow.” It may get good ratings for The CW, but it’s The CW… none of the shows get great ratings.
      Besides, show me a comic book geek and I’ll show you somebody who will watch SHIELD over Arrow any day of the week.

23. Mike says:

Looks great now, but I worry will be seeing this promo countless times throughout the summer, which kind of turns me off.

24. DG says:

If this show can keep up and even build the audience for two seasons, you can bet the season 2 cliff hanger will be a direct lead in to Avengers 2, which in turn will create a new jump off point for SHIELD season 3. Could be a whole new way of storytelling on screen here. The off-season for the show will be broken by a huge Marvel movie in the summer, and the wait between summers for a movie will be filled with SHIELD. This could really work wonders, the only thing going against it is that it’s genre tv. But I have my fingers crossed.

• FinnGoDo says:

I hope it works better than X-Files Fights the Future, which tried to do the same thing.

• Azerty says:

I think Marvel and Disney (and Whedon i guess) made an incredible job connecting 5 movies to lead to Avengers without any continuity issue (well I didn’t noticed any) and now expanding the universe with a phase 2 AND a serie? I hope the serie will definitely make reference to Avengers 1 and lead to Avengers 2 among the other movies.

25. Jared says:

Sure ABC, lets put another “male skewing” show in the same Thursday 8pm time slot where 3 other “male skewing” shows have just failed repeatedly for the last 3 seasons!?

26. Amy says:

So. Freaking. Excited. I’ll be spending all off-season praying to the TV gods that AoS turns out good and finds its audience fast.

27. Alex H says:

Well, seems like ABC has a tough task ahead of them when it comes to deciding what time slot this show should get. I agree with some that say they should keep it away from Sundays, Mondays, and Thursdays. Football and tv’s most competitive night just seems like a horrible idea. On that note, I really hope that once HIMYM is over Cobie Smulders decides to join this show. She might want to do movies after HIMYM… but I can’t see how walking away from this show would be a smart move on her part given the success of The Avengers and the success her character had. I know she didn’t have a huge part in the movie but I really liked her as Maria Hill.

28. Azerty says:

Please don’t be another FlashForward/Alcatraz/Terra Nova…you know those shows which are supposed to be a huge hit, expected by many fans but finally don’t last for long…However according to that 30s amazing trailer + how good was Avengers + how talented is Whedon I guess we won’t be disappointed. I agree with everybody saying that Cobie Smulders should join this as soon as How I met is over.

• James says:

With the huge backing of Disney behind it, I really don’t think it will fail.
      I know Disney owns ABC, but as Disney owns Marvel (and Marvel is their biggest cash-cow right now) letting SHIELD live on, even for a couple of seasons to tie the whole MCU together would be a benefit to them.

My only worry is that Joss Whedon might well be far too busy to keep on writing the scripts for this, if he has to finish up Avengers 2 and probably go on to direct Avengers 3

• Alan says:

joss isnt executive producing this, his brother jed and his wife who’s name i can’t spell are going to be running the show and writing most of it. joss has said he will write for it when he can but his main concern is coordinating the phase 2 movies and writing avengers 2.

29. Catlin says:

Its defiantly Luke Cage

30. Tinemi says:

My geek-fan self has just stop breathing for 30 seconds… I just can’t wait to watch this!!!

31. Morrowman23 says:

I think a lot of you are missing the point here. ABC is putting this much time and energy into MAoS BECAUSE it can survive any slot.

Walking Dead? Arrow? Seriously? Only sporting events can compete–they could put this on at 5:30am before the farm report and you would all watch.

This is a no-brainier slam dunk win like Lost was.