Y&R Plans Tribute to the Late Jeanne Cooper

Jeanne Cooper Dead at 84CBS and The Young and the Restless will remember and pay tribute to longtime cast member Jeanne Cooper, who passed away on Wednesday at age 84.

Cast, friends and family will gather next week to celebrate the actress, who portrayed Katherine Chancellor for nearly 40 years — the iconic serial’s longest-running cast member — for a special episode airing Tuesday, May 28.

In addition to fond remembrances, interviews with Cooper from the show’s recent 40th anniversary event and classic clips of her Y&R run will be included.

“Jeanne Cooper was a legend, and we want to give her the tribute she deserves,” CBS Daytime SVP Angelica McDaniel said in a statement. “The cast will honor their longtime friend, family member and co-worker in the greatest way possible, as we celebrate her life and vibrant spirit and share it with the audience who loved her as much as we did.”

1. GS says:

Don’t watch much anymore but will definitely be setting the DVR for this episode. She was so much fun to watch over the years. She will be truly missed and I really hope Y & R doesn’t recast. Michael Learned was not good when she filled in a few years ago. She’s Ma Walton, not Catherine Chancellor! No one can fill Jeanne’s shoes.

• d. Richardson says:

Catherine Chancellor has passed away in life and should now be put to rest on the Y & R.
      Make it exciting as there would be a battle for Chancellor Industries. A number of persons have died while filming a TV series or film, and it has been written into the script. Let her rest in peace. Jeanne Cooper was an icon and it would not be proper to try and replace her. Let her audience mourn her loss, move on with the show, but do not replace Catherine Chancellor.

• I loved this lady…she was an extrodinary actress and was the backbone of this show. She will missed so much…i have watched her since day one and the show will not be the same…please do not replace her, let Catherine Chancellor pass away with Jeanne Cooper please….no one ever could take her place and it would be horrible to try….RIP Jeanne Cooper…you were an awesome actress.

• cynthia says:

i agree i’m a huge fan of jeanne cooper have been since day one no one can fill her shoes! she will bw missed. cynthia

• Natalie Jones says:

Please do not recast Mrs.c’s role. Give her character the send off that she truely deserved. She was truly a grand dutchess of The Young and the Restless. She will forever be missed.R. I.P.

• Marie says:

Three generations of the ladies in our family watched the show. I started watching with my grandmother when I was five. I grew up on the show.
        Will miss the Y&R matiarch dearly.
        The show will lose viewers if they Jeanne.

• I agree with you 100% – she is & will always be – IRREPLACEABLE!

• Karen Fox says:

Nobody can play Catherine Chancellor, like the one & only! She will be GREATLY missed, Since the premiere I only know of a handful of shows I’ve missed and those are days I was in surgery, before VCR’s! She will be sadly missed by her fans but I know how her family’s hearts must be feeling, if she touched us just acting imagine the way she touched their lives! We’ll see you again Jennie!

• Bobbie Olson says:

Yes, Jeanne Cooper is already being missed. She really knew how to play a role and no one could play a double like she could. ive been watching since mid 80s but remember others watching from younger. im just surprised they didnt do traditional typical memorial or funeral but i knew she would be the one to go on her own terms and style. Rest with peace..

• Judy Thompson says:

Its true no one can take her place let her go like it should be and let Jill take over like it should be she is next in line. R.I. P. I will miss you

• Debbie says:

I agree with this comment and all the others also. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, DON’T RECAST HER ROLE. No one, and I mean no one, can act this role like Jeanne Cooper. Michael Learned sucked at it when she did it a few years back. It was just awful. Please let her rest in peace in life and on the show. She will be forever missed. She was an ICON!!1

• Debbie says:

I agree with this comment and all the others also. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, DO NOT RECAST HER ROLE. No one can take her place. Michael Learned tried a few years back and she was just awful. They should not have even tried that. This woman was an ICON. Please let her die on the show in her sleep. Let her rest in peace in life and and on the show. She was greatly loved. I have watched her almost from the time the show started.

2. Cindy says:

The last scene was touching. This tribute episode is well deserved. RIP

3. Kate says:

This makes me happy. I was hoping they would find a way to pay special tribute to her.

4. RUCookie says:

this is classy. She was the heart and soul of that show.

5. Paige Allen says:

I will be watching this show. i am upset at the passing of Jeanne Cooper. I will miss her very much. I hope she rest in peace.

6. Lorie says:

Thanks for the scoop. Even though I no longer watch Y&R, I’ll def set my DVR to watch this tribute.

7. Andrea says:

“Don’t watch much anymore but will definitely be setting the DVR for this episode.”

Ditto, ditto, and more ditto to this statement. Been waiting for info about a tribute episode. Thanks Matt!

8. Marlene West says:

I’m so glad they are doing this for a very beautiful soul, who will be missed. No one can fill her shoes. Hope they don’t try.

9. Jeanne Barry says:

I was so happy and relieved when she came back from being sick. last year . I am so sad that Jeanne is gone. No one will ever be good enough to take her place. Y&R just needs to just allow her character to be written out. I have watched Y&R since the beginning. rest May Jeanne rest in the arms of God’s peace. Love you Jeanne

10. Drew says:

Does anyone know if we’ve seen her last scene already ???

• Barbara Dumas says:

Jeanne Cooper’s last scene on Y&R was aired last Friday, May 3. I hope they just let Mrs. Chancellor similarly die in her sleep as opposed to attempting to recast her character. Rest in peace Jeanne. We love and will miss you so much.

• Alice says:

Yes, her last scene was Friday May 3. The show ended with Jill asking her if she needed help going upstairs, and she told Jill she could manage on her own. Jill watched, with tears in her eyes, as Catherine went up the stairs. It was her final act of courage on Y&R. Little did we know what they all knew, that she would not be back.

• Bobbie Olson says:

Yes…but we didnt know it was going to be her last scene but she knew…and i knew. had that odd weird feeling you get.

11. suzanne says:

R.I.P JEANNE,YOU WILL BE MISSED

12. B.K.Newkirk says:

I agree with everyone above. I have watched Y & R since the first episode and absolutely no on else can portray Kay Chancellor like Jeanne Cooper did. Please let her rest in peace on both the show and in real time. Forever a fan.

• DONNA says:

I whole heartedly agree. NO ONE can play that role like Jeanne Cooper. Don’t even try to bring in someone else. People pass away in real life, so let her pass away on the show. She looked awfully frail and breathless on the last episode, so passing in her sleep would not be difficult to write in. A devoted fan.

13. I have been a devoted fan of the show from the start ms.C had her ups & down in the show was so happy for her when you let her meet the love of her life.Her wisdom was carried over in life’s real problems. She will be truley missed. But GOD has a beautiful new Angel we will see again someday Love and prayers to all of her family and friends.Well Done Jeanne !! Well Done

14. Beth says:

Hooked on the Y & R from the first show. Goodbye and peace Mrs. C. You will be missed.

• Susan P says:

I too am a fan of the Y & R and will truly miss Mrs. C. I agree with everyone above that we should keep her memory and not bring her back as someone else. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family. God Bless Jeanne Cooper and Mrs. C, she was a Special Actress.

15. Linda Knight says:

Been a fan of Y & R since the beginning. She is an icon and CAN NOT be replaced on the show. The show should not replace her, they should let her rest in peace because the show will not be the same if they do replace. Has a fan she will be the only Mrs. C. Peace in peace Jeanne Cooper you will be miss. Linda Knight

16. Linda Smith says:

I have watched this show for many years. Please allow Jeannie Cooper to rest in peace. She is irreplaceable.

17. Donald Pennie says:

I”ve been a fan of Mrs. C. since I started watching the show in 1981. She will be sadly missed and my prayers go out to the family and to her T.V. family.

• Ivette says:

I, too, have watched Y&R since its start – Mrs. C was its matriarch – felt like she was part of my family – the soap has lost its main character & it should never be recast. Jeanne Cooper was and will always remain irreplaceable.

18. Amy says:

I have been watching Y&R since 1978, and have been a fan of Jeanne’s all this time. I am so sad that she is no longer with us, but at least she died peacefully in her sleep. I look forward to the Y&R tribute, and they better not try and recast the role of Katherine. RIP dear, Jeanne. Gone, but never forgotten.

19. Karen Fox says:

I have seen Jeanne Cooper in many of her roles and have watched Y&R since it’s beginning. She is an was an extraordinary actress. Sher made the role as Katherine Chancellor so real and believable. No one could ever fill the shoes she has left behind and I hope you do not replace her. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family, friends and fans. May this extraordinary women rest in peace until we met again.

20. I have watched The Young and the Restless since the very first show. Jeanne Cooper was a wonderful actress and I feel that there should be no attempt to have someone replace her as Katherine Chancellor. It is like trying to replace JR on Dallas–it just can’t be done. I will miss seeing Jeanne Cooper on The Young and Restless. I know her cast members will miss her also and grieve as many of the viewer also do. Prayers go out to her family during this time of immense loss.

21. Theresa Emmerich says:

I am in awe of the work ethic and beauty of this woman. Jeanne, I will miss you. You are like a part of my family. God speed…..

• Rosemarie Ayow says:

She’s like part of my family as well, I look forward to this show and Bold n Beautiful, and eat my lunch everyday, I get angry when sports is aired at the time of the shows, R I P darling.

22. carrie m says:

i always looked up to ms coopper my tv grandmother, rip j.cooper

23. Sandi Kloman says:

I have been watching this show since 1973. I loved her from the first time she was on the show. She was a natural. I will truly miss her. Jeanne you are a legend and can never be replaced. RIP in Gods arms.

24. Rosemarie Ayow says:

I look at the Young n Restless every day, and it’s always a shock to hear that some one dies. R I P Katherine you will be missed, my condolences goes out to your family, and the cast of the Young n Restless. From Rosemarie Ayow.

25. leilani zomok says:

Love that mrs c will really be missed no one could ever take her place there will never be another mrs c love and prayers to her and her family

26. SANDRA G. ROSS says:

I HAVE WATCHED YOU SINCE I WAS A LITTLE GIRL AND WAS IN TOTAL SHOCK OF LEARNING THAT YOU HAVE ENDED YOUR JOURNEY HERE BUT I KNOW YOU CELEBRATE YOUR LIFE IN HEAVEN ABOVE. MAY GOD COMFORT AND BLESS YOUR FAMILY WITH STRENGTH AS YOUR FAMILY ENDURES A GRIEF THAT IS UNBERABLE TO THE HEART. ALWAYS LOOK TO GOD AND PRAY PRAY PRAY, IT WILL HELP ON THE DAYS TO COME. I WILL MISS YOU ON Y & R AND IT WILL NOT BE THE SAME WITHOUT YOU. YOU ARE ONE OF A KIND AND I AGREE WITH SO MANY OTHERS NO ONE COULD EVER REPLACE YOU. GOD BLESS YOU ALL . YOU ARE IN MY PRAYERS . THANKS FOR YOUR WONDERFUL ROLE THAT ONLY YOU COULD MAKE US BELIEVE.
    FROM SANDRA G. ROSS

27. Lee Lail says:

I agree, (Ms. Chancellor) Jeanne Cooper could never be replaced! I am very sad about her passing, and I would like to express my deepest sympathy to her family, friends, and TY&TR family! She was one of a kind, and I’m sure she is going to missed terribly! I wrote to her many years ago, and asked for her autograph, and many months later, I received a letter with a huge 8by10 picture of her with her autograph. I was so delighted that she took the time to send me the letter and autograph. I have cherished it for many years, and I’m glad that I can look at it from time to time, and remember such a great and caring lady! I know she is in a great place now! May she rest in peace!

Sincerely, Lee Lail. Charlotte, NC

28. S. Hall says:

I will miss her on Y&R. I grieve for her real and TV family. PLEASE don’t have someone take over her role. I believe no one can.
    From S. Hall

29. Lisa C says:

Oh Mrs C. She was one of a kind. I loved to see her in action, especially when she would get feisty. But these last couple of months of her character having a Tumor was very sentimental. Especially with Cain Asbee. You will be greatly missed Jeanne Cooper – R.i.P. from Lisa C. New Brunswick, Canada

30. I have watched the show since the 1970s let her go with the respect she deserves let the rest of them fight over the company she built nits what they do best and thats why we watch

31. C Leahan says:

Been watching Y&R since the 80’s . I have always loved Jeanne Mrs C . She always reminded me of my Mom who passed away in 2008 . Watching her helped me miss my mom a little less. So glad they are doing tribute. Don’t replace Mrs C have her pass on the show and have each character say their goodbyes as well. Have Jill stay at the house and bring back tucker then Jill tucker and Caine can fight over the company. Have a lot of suprizes in Mrs C will

32. SAM PAYNE says:

I WILL GREATLY MISS THE CHARACTER. CATHERINE CHANCELLOR. MICHAEL
    LEARNER ONCE PLAYED THE CHARACTER, GOOD BUT WE CANNOT JEANNE SO
    THE SHOW NEEDS A CATHERINE. IT HURTS BUT OUT OF OUR CONTROL-SO IS
    MICHAEL AVAILABLE?

33. Annie says:

I have admired and respected Jeanne Cooper for all of her years on Y&R. She will be greatly missed. She was so good as Catherine, so classy and genuine. She could never be replaced, and my prayers are with her family and cast mates. God bless.

34. Mary says:

I certainly had no idea that it was her final scene, mainly because she had said that she felt ten years younger, and that she was back in full force. It only seemed to me that Jill was concerned about Katherine going up the stairs on her own after coming home from surgery. It made me happy to think she was returning to her vibrant self. The news of her death the following week came as a painful shock.

35. Glenda Black says:

I was in tears and also filled with joy at the tribute for Jeannie Cooper today. Please ask your writers to write her out of the show,and not try to replace her, I might have to stop watching MY FAVORITE soap if they do that! I loved me some Jeannie Cooper and my #1guy Eric Breaden, the are irreplaceable.

36. V from CT says:

RIP Mrs. C you will always be remembered. We love you. , My prayers and thoughts are with the family.