NBC Cancels The New Normal

The New Normal CancelledThe body count keeps rising at NBC.

The Peacock net has cancelled Ryan Murphy’s rookie comedy The New Normal, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | Fall TV Preview: See Photos of NBC’s New Fall Series!

For those keeping track at home, that brings to seven the number of shows the network has euthanized in the past 36 hours. It joins 1600 Penn, Guys With Kids, Deception, Up All Night, Whitney and Brian Williams’ Rock Center.

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated.

1. George says:

This was a cute show, but I’m not all that upset. I mean, I’d probably watch a 2nd season, but they wrapped things up nicely.

2. Am I stupid enough to believe Bravo would be willing to pick it up? They are getting into the scripted business, after all.

All this wait and getting my hopes up… Ugh.

• Eli says:

i can actually see this happening.

It’s so sad, we finally had a decent portrayal of a loving gay relationship on tv.

• John Preis says:

Unfortunately, Bravo doesn’t really have the resources to properly fund a comedy or drama like this one, so in that context it simply isn’t going to happen (even Logo couldn’t support a series like this, and they’ve dipped into having original comedy-dramas in the past). I liked the show well enough, and was really hoping it would get picked up, but like many others I won’t be heartbroken by its passing: it did have a good wrap-up at the end, so at least it didn’t leave anyone hanging.

• Bravo is owned by NBC/Universal. I highly doubt it.

3. Mike says:

So NBC cancelled every single comedy besides Parks and Community, they better hope their new comedies don’t do even worse.

4. lyn says:

Maybe they should ditch the peacock and call themselves the domino network.

5. Esaul says:

Did any of the new sitcoms survive this year? I’m not forgetting one, am I?

6. zacqua10 says:

It appears to me that NBC is going to try to do a complete overhaul come fall. After all, everything on NBC (with the exception of a few shows) completely sucks.

7. David says:

No surprise there. I mean Go On had better ratings then this show

8. Jon says:

Any chance TBS or the FX comedy network (whatever the name) will pick this up?

9. Sarah says:

i am really really mad about this cancellation. i loved this show so much and i should have learned my lesson when nbc cancelled chuck last year. i am so done with the nbc network! NEVER AGAIN!

• Mel says:

Agreed. I enjoyed this show very much. It was sweet. I will not, however, hold it against NBC, and NEVER AGAIN not watch this network. Sarah, I think your comment is just so much hyperbole. Ah well….at least we still have Parks & Rec and Community.

• Ryan says:

The only two shows I watch on NBC just got cancelled… New Normal and Smash. So I’m done with them. My viewing next season looks to be Once Upon A Time, Once Upon A Time In Wonderland, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Carrie Diaries, and Glee.

10. Brian says:

I know many people did not like, but me and my husband loved it! I am truly sad. Another note is I don’t understand why NBC held off on Revolution until the Voice returned, but didn’t do the same for Go On, TNN, and Smash?

• Meh says:

Because these shows would need to stand on their own next season any way. They were still losing more than 40% of The Voices audience. TNN got a .7 at one point. Smash was worse than that. Truth is it never should have gotten a full order and had NBC so sh^tty…it would have been pulled. Better shows were yanked with better numbers. Good riddance to bad rubbish. .

11. Amelia says:

This is surprising!

12. EddieZ says:

I vow to not watch any new sitcom on NBC next season.

13. i loved this show im not watching any new shows from nbc they got rid of a lot of good ones lately im done.

• I am done with Broadcast as a whole. Except for the 4 shows I currently watch and the new MJF show only because it was already given a full season. Cable lets shows find their footing and I enjoy the shorter seasons, less filler episodes.

14. Alex says:

Not unexpected at all but a very sad news :-(

All the actors were awesome. TNN was funny and original. Even if the season wasn’t as good as it could have been, the show had so much potential… I’m really bummed about that cancellation.

15. Eric says:

This is really unfortunate. I truly enjoyed this series. Despite my sadness, I agree with others who said that the series was wrapped up nicely. I hope the first season is released on DVD and Blu-ray, where I can enjoy for years to come as a mini-series of sorts.

16. K. says:

Thank Goodness this show was not very good…..

17. TaMara says:

I watched 3 shows on NBC. Go On, The New Normal and The Voice (sporadically), Way to go Peacock.

18. Paige says:

Why do all the shows I like get cancelled?!?!?

19. Lisa says:

I loved this show, but they had the perfect ending and I’m okay with where it was left off. Still, I wanted to see Brian and David tackle parenthood. Hope someone else picks it up.

20. xandra says:

Smash hasn’t been cancelled yet?! I would’ve expected it would be the first one announced since it’s so complicated and expensive to produce. Maybe there’s a glimmer of hope.

• Vee says:

Smash is a goner, it’s been posted. Great show, I’ll miss it very much.

• elr says:

I’m not so disappointed that Smash got cancelled, but more disappointed in the writers and producers of the show that wasted all the potential it had.

21. Paige says:

IM SO MAD AND SAD.
    This show was such a good representation of gay couples.
    Sigh.

• Curt says:

really? It made me a little embarrassed to be gay! just a dumb, unrealistic show. ok, so I hate flamers but the rest was beyond believe. sorry but hoped this one would die and I got my way
      How many gay ‘homes’ do you think might be even slightly like this? Maybe 15, countrywide? tops

• Trey says:

Okay please dont say you hate flamers, it makes you look like a terrible person. The gay couple in this show was very realistic in regards to their personalities. These two men revealed two different types of gay men, neither one was an extreme version of “masculine” or “feminine”, but leaned closer to one side and still had moments where they expressed the other side. I related a lot to both characters. The only unrealistic part was that they were both so rich and their troubles were more personal. I had a harder time relating to this because most people arent tv producers or doctors. SO in that regard it was a tiny bit unrealistic. However, i believe the writers wanted to show their hopes of what normal should and can be like one day very soon: When my generation (20 somethings) become a little older and obtain successful careers this will be the “New Normal”,

• rcn says:

Trey, I love your comment. As for the characters being rich and not representative of most American couples/families, it’s the same problem that many African-Americans had with the very popular Cosby Show. Perhaps when family income is not much of an issue, such sitcoms can focus more on other social issues such as homophobia, racism, sexism, ageism, etc. I thought The New Normal dealt with a wide variety of issues in a clever and compassionate manner. I too hope that this will become the “new normal” for your generation. (I’m a Baby Boomer who hasn’t lost my idealism!)

22. robinepowell says:

I liked it but unfortunately, it didn’t seem to do well in the ratings. I was hoping that if it got a second season, it might have been better in the ratings.

23. S. from E. now says:

NBC is getting insane! They basically got rid of their whole comedy line up (apart from P&R and Community of course). I wouldn’t be surprised if they actually kinda regret it now that they canceled their other two rookie shows 30 Rock and The Office. No already established lead ins? How are they supposed to ever get enough viewers for their new shows?

• Drizz says:

NBC is going to have a big mess on their hands with comedies in the fall. They should have kept Go On and TNN if for no other reason than having backup shows when new shows fail.

24. mac says:

Go On and The New Normal were ratings failures. It’s smart for NBC to cut their loses. It makes no sense to hold onto shows that’ll do even worse going forward.

25. Jo says:

So basically NBC is canceling everything. The whole network is a crapshoot

26. Et al. says:

I liked the show but I’m not sad which is strange. I feel like what it was was just fine and I don’t need or want any more..

27. mia says:

Do they have any sitcoms left?
    ….Wait do they have anything left?
    Its just going to be The Voice over on NBC. 24 Hours!

• TvjunkE says:

Lmao Exactly! NBC aka Nothing But Crap might as well change it’s name to The Voice and change its logo from the peacock to the spinning chair !

28. Britta Unfiltered says:

I never saw this show, so I have no opinion. It’s censored here near Salt Lake where I live, and while I meant to catch it online one day, I sort of forgot about it. But I am so, so surprised NBC has gotten rid of so many of their comedies. I cannot believe they are coming back next year with only two of their established comedies. They’re going to have a weird year next year. It’s almost going to be like they’ll have to re-establish their brand.

29. Ashley says:

Wow, talk about carnage at NBC today. I’m bummed – I liked “The New Normal” and now I’m wondering why I should give any NBC comedy a shot since they’re obviously not shy about cancelling them…

30. Catherine says:

aw man!

31. Jen says:

This sucks. I’m sure One Million Moms is going to have a celebration now and claim that it was “their hard work” that got it cancelled. A-holes.

• Dan says:

This is what I am most annoyed about! One Million Moms will act they got it taken off the air because they complained. They will definitely take credit…dumb bitches.

32. Ella says:

Such a great show but I love how it wrapped up so not too upset about this. One season is golden.

• JBC says:

How did it wrap up? Did the surrogate lady have the baby? I only watched it a couple of times, and once because Matt Bomer was on it.

33. Drizz says:

This fall will definitely be my “skip new shows” fall. (not specifically because of TNN) If a show makes it to season 2, I will consider and catch up after next may. NBC especially has killed off far too many good shows this year. It’s been a bloodbath all around today. Networks need to adjust their expectations. Due to so many new ways to watch shows, outdated ratings measurements, so many sources of shows with cable, Netflix, soon Amazon, etc, I doubt most new shows will ever see truly amazing numbers ever again.

• mia says:

Not to mention the constant repeats and delays in airing stuff. No one knows when stuff is on, so keeping an audience is hard.
      And plus all the things you said

34. Sydney says:

I was really hoping this one would make it through. I’m really shocked by all they cancellations today; I can’t help but think about all the people who lost their jobs today.

35. flutiefan says:

idiots.

36. queerbec says:

Maybe they’ll bring Jay Leno back at 10 to fill in all the empty space!

37. Vetle says:

Nooooooooooo!! :(

38. Hannah says:

I am not surprised that The New Normal was canceled. When the ratings sank early on I prayed I would at least get to see the baby born. They couldn’t cancel it before the baby (IMO). So I can be satisfied with the ending.

I am shocked that NBC canceled so many comedies though. They only saved two – two I have never watched. I was sure Go On would make it. I liked that show, but then again I have liked every Matthew Perry show since Friends and they still get canceled. Ugh. And I was thrilled for John Cho getting some work. I was addicted to Flashback, but it was canceled (with a climatic finale >:I ). Cho can’t be Harold forever.

39. JESS Kalinowsky says:

who makes these decisions?

• renee says:

This was a Great show, how can you just Cancel this. Once you get a Great Show it’s gone. Funny, the two men, grandmom, and that little girl made this show. The whole cast deserves a 2nd season.

40. rcne says:

I actually watch very little TV but love The Voice and thoroughly enjoyed The New Normal. The writing was witty and touching, and the acting was wonderful. My only complaint was that it occasional came off as being too preachy, in a goody-goody kind of way. I will definitely miss this show.

• Tod Veerhein says:

Love your post !

• AJBlocker says:

I thought the show was a bit too Gay! Oh, Can i say that? It was just SOOO Gay!
      But in, a funny way!….(no pun intended).
      Just loved Andrew Rannells(Brian), so said for us girls if he turns out to be gay in real life!

41. leo says:

The problem with TNN is that Ryan Murphy can’t write a gay relationship which doesn’t fit the old “Cage aux Follies” cliché… being gay myself, I’ve tried to enjoy Mr Murphy’s shows (I tried with Glee as well) but in the end I just can’t relate at all, and isn’t about me pretending to be “too butch for that” (after all I like watching RuPaul’s Drag Race!) but because the couple is too glossy and plastic… and then the show wasn’t really funny, very often falls into the preachy field (like “look, we are this very important gay show sending big-important gay messages to the poor ignorant masses”), the jokes are dated, based on pushing the stereotype to it’s limit, becoming annoying and forced after a while and even the “cute” bits end looking fake… why can’t Ryan Murphy try to get outside his shell (his luxurius golden birdcage in LA) to offer a more realistic and diverse portrayal of gay lifestyle? or maybe he’s just like some mediocre fanfiction writers who can’t stop Mary Suing themselves in everything…

• Daren says:

exactly! finally, a voice of reason

• david says:

just curious leo what would have been a more realistic diverse portrayal of the gay lifestyle. I thought they did a really good job in portraying a couple wanting to have a baby.

42. BookerguyTBAy says:

I remember the days when networks took a chance with TV shows. Cheers was in 74th place their first year (there were 77 shows that year, 1982.)

43. Columbus says:

I really enjoyed The New Normal and will be sad to see it end. The only good part is that it did have a terrific send-off and ended at what seemed to be a correct point. I thought that the acting was quite good and, despite the preachiness, looked forward to it.

Since TNN was the only show which I watched on NBC, I can’t comment on any of the other cancellations. Pretty amazing how there is nothing else on this entire network that I watch. They need to take some lessons from CBS and ABC as to how to produce some decent dramas.

44. LL says:

To bad, it was the only show I watched on NBC. Use to watch the Today Show til they got rid of Ann Curry. Well, at least I don”t have to worry about changing channels now to NBC. They don’t have anythng I’m interested in watching.

45. Tod Veerhein says:

What needs to be canceled are all the , cheap to make; crap bag shows like Survivor, The Voice ,Dancing with the Stars and every vampire show or the ones were pre-pubescents all act mean to each other. ALL JUNK

46. Ejrin Hodzic says:

someone needs to cut a few of these NBC executives before they destroy the network and its national respect. Oh wait! Too Late!! Stupid Ideas lead to stupid decisions. That about explains NBC! All these shows in my mind did not look like they were going to go past season 1 but that’s not to say a good show shouldn’t. At NBC they don’t think past the pilot episode. But on the bright side, now they can come up with another version of Law & Order! Why not!?

47. Ken says:

The New Normal was my favorite new show, and the only new show I watched week after week. I love it. I like that the characters have their own quirky personalities and their relationships aren’t perfect, but they end up working things out. I usually don’t like and don’t watch 1/2 hour comedy shows at all and I don’t watch any of them except this one, and it really made me laugh and cry. I’m so sorry to see this one go.

48. So, is NBC canceling all of these shows so they can put Jay Leno in front of Jimmy Fallon at 10 PM? That’s the only thing that makes sense. Where’s Must See TV when you need it?

49. mictori says:

I think I won’t be starting to watch any new shows on NBC next season – because I’ll get too attached and NBC will cancel.

50. Norwegian-Girl says:

I can’t believe this! WHY?!