Cops Out: TNT Cancels Southland

Get More: Cancellations

southland cancelledTNT is pulling Southland off the streets, canceling the acclaimed drama after five seasons (four on TNT, one on NBC).

In a statement, the network called the decision to ax the series a “difficult” one, adding, “We are enormously proud of Southland, which stands as one of the best police dramas ever made. Executive producers John Wells, Chris Chulack and Jonathan Lisco, along with creator Ann Biderman and our partners at Warner Bros. Television, have given us five seasons of powerful, unforgettable storytelling, for which we are deeply grateful. We also want to thank the amazing cast for their impassioned, no-holds-barred performances, and the production team for their tenacity shooting on the streets of real-world Los Angeles.We wish everyone associated with Southland the very best.”

VIDEO | Watch the Trailer for TNT’s New Drama Legends

NBC cancelled Southland in October 2009, just weeks before it was set to launch Season 2. TNT picked up the series a month later.

Both Ben McKenzie and Shawn Hatosy booked pilots this development season — the CBS legal dramas The Advocates and Reckless, respectively — though the fate of either prospective series has yet to be announced. (CBS is rumored to be announcing any new show pick-ups as early as Friday afternoon.)

Hit the comments with your Southland eulogies.

Tags: ,

Comments (263)

• An extraordinarily written and acted police drama. It is incomprehensible that TNT has decided to cancel it. Hopefully there will be enough protests that they will reverse their decision or another network will pick it up. Let’s hear it from all of you who loved this show.

Comment by Del – May 22, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so displeased with TNT and their decision to cancel such a great show like Southland! My husband and I watch every episode of this great drama! This was the MAIN reason we watched TNT. Looks like you just lost a viewer TNT!!!! This sucks!!!!

Comment by Vanessa – May 23, 2013 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe TNT can start producing crap reality shows like survivor or one of the shallow dating shows like the bachelor . I blame the viewers of today’s tv, all they want these days are run of the mill comedies and again stupid reality shows. People don’t want to think when they r watching tv, they sit like mindless drones and watch crap. I suggest u sit in front of the tv with it off and stare at it because when great shows like southland r canceled and more reality junk is run u get the same out of staring at a blank screen. Thanks TNT for wrecking my faith in your network.

Comment by Tracy baker – May 23, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hate to see southland cancelled it is my fav drama on tv

Comment by dawn – May 24, 2013 04:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can`t believe that they are pulling this show. Being in law enforcement, I rarely see shows that are true to heart. Finally you one that you can relate to and they pull it. You should be ashamed of you self. Lets keep all the fake reality shows, reality- get real. Disappointed iin Pittsburgh.

Comment by charles miller – May 26, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why??? I will never watch Tnt again. Best show ever!

Comment by brian – May 26, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate you TNT for ending the best cop show ever. You guys are so stupid for letting it go

Comment by Pauline – May 26, 2013 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Southland was my favourite show even though technically it wasn’t shown over here in Australia. For the life of me I can’t understand why a series of such quality is cancelled when so much trash is left to fester on screen!
    The question I have is how the hell do stations work out how many viewers a program has? In this day and age I would say it would be pretty much guess work, and promotional tactics will always play a huge part. Was it promoted as much as could be? A smart move would be for another station/company to get another season going and PROMOTE it like never before. Southland stood head and shoulders above other shows, and deserves to continue. I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed down under….

Comment by Darren – May 27, 2013 01:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG!! You have said it all! Yes they should have promoted so much more then they did. Maybe another network will be smart and jump all over it and bring it back!! TNT be smart and re-think this decision!!!

Comment by Kris & Eric – June 1, 2013 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Southland was gritty, real, with characters you watch grow. I am so irritated with TNT…they have some of the most wonderful shows, and their lack of promotion kills them. Can’t we please have some guts from the makers to weather the storm and keep good shows from biting the dust too soon. and while I am at it…..Leverage was great too. TNT, you will NOT acquire your portion of the showing audience by treating us this way. You are teaching us that love of a show bites….TNT…you bite.

Comment by Lila Muzik – May 27, 2013 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why would you do this, TNT? You can hear that people are upset. Bring the show back, please. Or at least let us know the true end of the storyline. Otherwise, bad form, TNT… Bad form.

Comment by Fireflowerz – May 29, 2013 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Southland was my favorite show. I hope someone has the guts to save it. It is the only reason I watched TNT.

Comment by tony pogor – May 29, 2013 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are you kidding ? this still was appointment Tv. Now what real housewives of Milwaukee!

Comment by Mike Novak – May 31, 2013 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please don’t cancel Southland it was the best show on T.V.!!!! Come on some network has to pick it up!! The cast members are so great and have so much more to do!! Come on please bring it back into our living rooms across America!!!!

Comment by Kris & Eric – June 1, 2013 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have never typed on a forum before. I can’t believe this show was cancelled. I have never watched a show with so many plot twist in every episode. Being in law enforcement I would feel the adrenal rush or pressure as if i was the officer on scene. I am saddened this will no longer have new episodes because, it truly opens the eyes of what members of Law Enforcement struggle with on the job and in our personal lives. I would like to focus on the positive and thank the directors, writers and actors of this show. They developed the most realistic drama with plot twist that were never predictable. This is what I found to be the only show I had to tune in each week to watch.

Comment by L4600-121 – June 2, 2013 05:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boy that’s pretty depressing that they cancelled this show. It is, hands down, one of the best shows I’ve ever seen. Unbelievable that they had to cancel due to low ratings. WTF is wrong with people? Who are the people out there who wouldn’t like this show? I can’t even imagine that.

Comment by Mike – June 4, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • southland is really good. it shouldnt be canceled. it one of the best cop show ive ever seen.

Comment by matthew beovich – June 5, 2013 01:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic. We will never know what happened to Cooper, did he survive his GSW? I guess that takes a back seat anyway because he would go to jail anyway. But what about Sammy and Sherman?? I guess TNT can pretend that their fight was a good ending to the show or good enough, but its really not. If this amazing series kept going, Sherman would without a doubt redeem himself. The finale was called reckoning so TNT said it was fitting for a series ending, but its not. To many things will go unanswered and that hurts as a die hard SL fan who has watched all the seasons multiple times. TNT sucks. Horrible decision. Southland made every other “cop” show seem dumb and fake. The way these guys played out being police officer specifically Cooper, Sherman, Dewey, and Sammy as Patrol men, was unmatched. As if they spent years with real police officers preparing for their roles. This show deserves to live!

Comment by Nick – June 5, 2013 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really heartbroken that this series has ended. I loved this show! It was my favorite TV show and now it’s gone. TNT, you guys are a bunch of idiots! I hope the people associated with the show can at least let the fans know what season 6 had in store if the series had been renewed. Without giving spoiling anything for anyone, I want to know what happened with some of the stories and characters. “Reckoning” was a great episode, but there were some questions not answered. I hope the writers can give us fans some closure

Comment by Sandy – June 8, 2013 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since no reasoning was announced, we will never know why. Therefore my conclusions must be that the higher-ups at TNT are either trying to fill us with lame, embarrassing programs of car wrecks (reality shows) or that it is a plot to rid television of well written programs which attempt to keep the viewer involved through intellectually stimulating plots is a foot. It would be worthwhile for some premium cable station to pick up the programming and add a gem of a quality show. In the meanwhile, I will pray daily for sanity to surface in the executive offices of TNT or on second thought, perhaps they could begin a reality program of what is actually going on there! It would rival Honey Boo Boo for intellectual propriety and hasten the descent of TNT into oblivion.

Comment by Wally – June 10, 2013 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If u’ve never been to Watts or East L.A. this show is ur best bet. Sad to see it go. Hopefully CBS will pick it up.

Comment by Terry – June 11, 2013 11:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We’ve followed Southland from network to cable TV, shortened seasons (10 episodes per), just to see one of the finest police dramas ever. Why is it that a really well acted, intelligent show gets cancelled and stupid reality shows continue on and on? Please TNT, reconsider your decision and bring back Southland.

Comment by rene – June 12, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe if networks spent more money promoting quality shows like Southland more viewers would tune in. Interesting how stupid reality shows get weeks of promotion prior to season premieres and highlights for following episodes. If you don’t know about a show, why would you even look for it.

Comment by Debbie – June 14, 2013 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Though not as good as Hill Street Blues, Southland deserves to go out on its’ own. A movie to wrap up the show would ease the pain of loss.

Comment by Jcseidleck@ – June 18, 2013 02:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW!!
    I think the one person had it right!
    TNT is ran by baboons!!?**
    First I find out tonight, that your ripping one of my most enjoyed shows of my life..
    MONDAY MORNINGS & now SOUTHLAND?!!*** TNT I’m sorry but, I hope TNT and all the corrupt, worldly, greedy, self serving companies like u, LOOSE THEIR SHIRT!! U guys wouldn’t now a quality tv show if it slapped u in your nuts!!

Comment by Lisa Martin – July 1, 2013 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • im from australia. this is best cop show ive seen it should not be cancel

Comment by matt – July 11, 2013 04:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really really miss Southland, and I’m not ashamed to say I was in love with all those guys!
    It took years to bring back Arrested Development so maybe there’s hope. But for a show of good faith, how about a full length t.v. movie to tie up some ends??? Or even a movie??
    There are so many fans that it just couldn’t fail.

Comment by Lynne – July 12, 2013 02:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It seems cop shows aren’t as popular anymore. There have been other cop shows recently that I really liked that didn’t last long like NYC 22 and Detroit 1-8-7. The original Law & Order was one of my all-time favorite shows and it got cancelled leaving only L&O SVU, which is nowhere near as good.

Comment by Gary – July 18, 2013 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring Southland BACK! Come on TNT!

Comment by Lou – July 24, 2013 11:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a retired cop and I loved Southland. It was very realistic in its depiction of the every day events, especially showing that patrol officers can be bored one second and terrified the next. Things can get out of control in a heartbeat-like Nate’s murder. I cannot believe that TNT cancelled Southland but continues to run Rizzoli & Isles, which is one of the dumbest show about cops ever.

Comment by Diane Besett – July 29, 2013 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Perhaps, all the posts can help to keep Southland going! Tried watching The Bridge and after Southland all other cop dramas suck! Southland was so real; people at their worst and their best. TNT made a very bad decision but there is still time to remedy it!!! Bring Southland back!!!!

Comment by Karen Huggins – July 30, 2013 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just found out. Can’t believe it. Is there an organized protest?

Comment by Donna King – August 14, 2013 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If so, sign me up!

Comment by Annie – August 14, 2013 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There is a petition on change.org

Comment by Donna – August 15, 2013 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can never figure out why the REALLY good shows bite the dust and the worthless, vacuous shows linger on interminably. Southland was just too good to last. That’s Hollywood for ya; all tinsel and no substance.

Comment by Annie – August 14, 2013 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rizzolli & Illes is the dumbest cop show ever! I hope TNT goes belly up. Southland was one of the greatest cop shows ever! I speak from law enforcement experience, you have lost a lot of viewers. I looked forward & with much anticipation every episode of Southland. TNT your no good ! Stupid unrealistic shows like The Kardashians are the shows to cancel, unless you call all that fake acting classy tv. A bunch of glorified whores, but hey they get renewed don’t they? BOYCOTT TNT!!!!!

Comment by SD – August 17, 2013 01:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • please bring southland back! best cop show ever! Get rid of those reality shows.

Comment by laura – September 2, 2013 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is no reasonable understanding to cancel an extremely popular show that shows depth and great acting when there is so much trash that remains on TV. I am appalled by TNTs decision to cancel Southland. I applauded them when they picked up the series. There is no understanding this decision. Bad move TNT!!!

Comment by Joanie – September 20, 2013 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope southland is picked up at some point while it is still fresh in our memory bank. It is the best police show i have ever seen. It ended with a cliff hanger to say the least, left us wanting more. please someone get this show back on TV.

Comment by William – October 2, 2013 11:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am very sad to see that Southland has been cancelled. I have been watching for the season premier. This was one of the finest and most realistic Police dramas. Not only did it show the gritty truth of crime on the streets it showed the human side that Police officers deal with 24/7. It is a shame a show of this caliber is gone while so much senseless babel remains. The Chicago Code was another great show that was cut, probably because it showed all too much the corruption in Chicago. Art definitely imitated life in that show.

Comment by Robert/Chicago – October 7, 2013 11:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Please bring Southland back! :-(

Comment by M.L. – October 13, 2013 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • uh they praise the show as if it is the best ever, well they even said it was…but they cancel it.???? wtf? that makes no sese at al! i have loved this since it was on nbc and i have not liked any shows on tv sice ER and Third watch went off………..so this is very sad for me…well back to watching a whole lot of nothing…thank you TNT and NBC your both idiots

Comment by donna – November 4, 2013 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Total Bummer! I love this show, I watched all the back episodes and was looking forward to the new season. :(

Comment by Wanda – November 17, 2013 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no doubt they made a huge mistake cancelling southland…one very very good cop show..i will miss it greatly…..so sad…..

Comment by bill bechtol – December 3, 2013 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am not sure what they are looking for, if it is viewers Southland had them. If it is filling time slots with meaningless “reality shows and ridiculous recording artist want a bee’s. they have succeeded in destroying T.V as we know it. …….. N.B.C. is the number 4 rated network and will continue to slide; they made a bad decision. LOOK TNT you can bring Southland back and improve your NIELSON rating. . Wake up TNT EXECS ……….. You can’t miss with Southland it is a hit bring it back………….

Comment by al – December 18, 2013 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post