Cops Out: TNT Cancels Southland

Get More: Cancellations

southland cancelledTNT is pulling Southland off the streets, canceling the acclaimed drama after five seasons (four on TNT, one on NBC).

In a statement, the network called the decision to ax the series a “difficult” one, adding, “We are enormously proud of Southland, which stands as one of the best police dramas ever made. Executive producers John Wells, Chris Chulack and Jonathan Lisco, along with creator Ann Biderman and our partners at Warner Bros. Television, have given us five seasons of powerful, unforgettable storytelling, for which we are deeply grateful. We also want to thank the amazing cast for their impassioned, no-holds-barred performances, and the production team for their tenacity shooting on the streets of real-world Los Angeles.We wish everyone associated with Southland the very best.”

VIDEO | Watch the Trailer for TNT’s New Drama Legends

NBC cancelled Southland in October 2009, just weeks before it was set to launch Season 2. TNT picked up the series a month later.

Both Ben McKenzie and Shawn Hatosy booked pilots this development season — the CBS legal dramas The Advocates and Reckless, respectively — though the fate of either prospective series has yet to be announced. (CBS is rumored to be announcing any new show pick-ups as early as Friday afternoon.)

Hit the comments with your Southland eulogies.

Tags: ,

Comments (263)

• I know people get upset and don’t think clearly in situations like this- but come on. TNT gave this show 4 seasons after NBC canceled it. They didn’t make a rash decision to cancel it. Other shows could only dream of having this many episodes. The show had time to build a fantastic fanbase. Reality TV had nothing to do with this decision (although I know we’re all sick of the crap in that genre).If you’re going to be ticked at TNT for anything- be mad that we don’t get closure and are left with a cliffhanger. Any other anger just really doesn’t make sense if you’re thinking clearly. That being said- I will really, really miss this show :(

Comment by Fran – May 10, 2013 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you for your reasoning. No one was actually going to jump off a cliff here. We all feel so much better for your clear thinking.

Comment by King – May 11, 2013 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • lol, sorry but some of these comments are so ridiculous. No need to be a smart ass to me for pointing out the obvious.

Comment by Fran – May 11, 2013 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are the idiots?! How could they! They only saved the show from NBC and gave us 4 more seasons! How dare they!!!

Honestly people, it sucks, but the network saved the show, you can’t be too mad.

Comment by Midori – May 10, 2013 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you :) Normally I am all for understanding people’s frustrations in shows being canceled, but the comments here are a little ridiculous.

Comment by Julie – May 10, 2013 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe HBO, Showtime, or some of the other premium cable channels could pick it up?

Comment by denise – May 10, 2013 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To many bad things happening lately… This makes no sense what so ever…!!!!! Had to do with money I would imagine because why would they cancel the best cop show on tv..!!! Makes no sense…!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Jason geremia – May 10, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Noooooooo! This is one of the best shows I’ve seen. Maybe it’s possible another network would pick it up???

Comment by Mia – May 10, 2013 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The silver lining is that Ben mckenzie can go on to more high profile roles– he is so talented

Comment by Jake – May 10, 2013 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I sincerely hope that Michael Cudlitz is finally nominated for an Emmy. He was Oscar worthy this season. John Cooper Forever.

Comment by Diane – May 10, 2013 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is why I buy dvd’s of old shows like Hawaii Five O, Perry Mason,etc. Great shows like Southland, Men of a Certain Age get cancelled and nothing but garbage left to watch! So sad to hear this news!

Comment by Jeffery Manley – May 10, 2013 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Noooo! I need to know how John Cooper redeems himself. And what happens with Sammy. I nee happy endings for these characters. Not incredibly traumatic ones.

Comment by Mandy – May 10, 2013 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why??? 1.8 million viewers is not enough? This show has nothing but potential! Every episode left me wanting more! It is by far the best show on T.V!! I have no reason to watch TNT anymore! So sad!! I really hope another station is wise enought to realize what they can do with a show like this! I am so sick of the stupid comedy or want to be dramas on CBS and fox has lost their edge with the poor want to be famous singer shows! At least I have a few shows left on ABC! I am a smart person and want to watch good T.V. What is so wrong with that?

Comment by Anna – May 10, 2013 10:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • UGH. I suppose they did the math and so it wasn’t an arbitrary decision but it’s still sad that a quality show like that was cancelled, that it couldn’t survive. I just can’t imagine that they have a stellar, cheap lineup so full that there was no room for Southland to just hang out and do its thing. NBC’s usually the king of crap shows and crappier cancellations – there was this excellent sitcom with Amanda Peet a couple of years ago called Bent and NBC just blasted six episodes out over a week or something, like two shows a night, no support, and it was so funny, well-written, great cast, and it came and went quietly. Stupid.

And Cooper had such a good season. Regina King is so great too. They deserved better than they got. PFFFT.

Comment by MarciTwitches – May 10, 2013 11:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im sick of brilliant shows getting cancelled, and usually in favour of reality and celebrity crap. SouthLAnd was the best show by far

Comment by Gav Ellis – May 11, 2013 02:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is terrible news!!! This is the best police show I have ever seen!!
    Please pick up this show!!!

Comment by Jan-Wilhelm – May 11, 2013 05:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope TNT will reconsider. Southland is one of the best cop shows EVER! What are these executives thinking???

Comment by AnnaK – May 11, 2013 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thanks to TNT for bringing us Southland for 4 more seasons. Please consider a series final episode for the loyal followers of this great show

Comment by Kaye – May 11, 2013 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They renew and spin-off all those lousy cop shows like CSI, NCIS, Law & Order and other garbage.

Comment by Eric von Schteenkenpusson – May 11, 2013 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was a great show. Very disappointing news.

Comment by robin – May 11, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a former police officer with 25 years on the job (east coast dept.) I can tell you without question this is the finest and most accurate police drama EVER! Every single thing about each episode is spot on and absolutely true! How junk like Survivor gets renewed and a show of true substance like Southland does not just goes to show you how brain dead those in charge are! A real and sad loss here folks…

Comment by R Morris – May 11, 2013 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will miss Southland, apparently only A&E can have quality shows on cable. I will miss the cast, they were great. I hope they all do well. I will particuarly miss Cooper, he just looks so much like a cop, he is great. I remember his 5 minutes on ‘Standoff’ back in the day, he was the best on the whole show. I hope he lands another cop show.

Comment by Roses – May 11, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Southland was a REAL cop show. It was gritty, intense, humorous and, at times, terrifying. It was a well produced, well written, well directed and most importantly well acted TV show. The handheld camera work put you right in their shoes. It was proof that a realistic depiction of police and the dangerous streets they patrol can be produced on television. Ratings be damned, Southland will be missed. I would like to see a series of Southland full length movies for TV. One can only hope.

Comment by WayneF – May 11, 2013 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why does every good show gets cancelled! Southland was by far the best show on t.v. Who is running TNT???

Comment by Ron – May 11, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe you would cancel one of the best shows on TV after such a great season! Please TNT reconsider or hope some one else will pick it up! Would be a great show for HBO!

Comment by Terry – May 11, 2013 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of the many reasons I cut the cord. I bought episodes from Amazon, that’s how much I love this show ! The junk just keeps on coming. One of the last network shows I will indulge in. What are the network executives thinking? I give up. So much dumbed down crap, I don’t think I will ever look at network TV again.

Comment by Cheryl King – May 11, 2013 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOO!!!!!! best show ever and it gets canceled really TNT ho come on

Comment by Brittany – May 11, 2013 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I HATE cop shows…Special Victims Unit, anyone? But I LOVED Southland. As usual, TV continues its downward spiral of catering to the lowest common denominator in human kind.

Comment by Rick – May 11, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great that they are canceling Southland now they can put a bunch of crap on that cost less for them to make. They should pick a few other great shows to cancel to save money. This is the best cop show ever produced ! I hope TNT goes down in flames !

Comment by Garrett – May 12, 2013 02:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never again will I get lured into watching a GREAT TV series. One of the most entertaining show, and it’s cancelled. But trashy shows continue on. Smarten up networks!!

Comment by Bridget – May 12, 2013 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of the best cop shows I have ever seen. This show portrayed the realities police officers faced on and off duty. Very sad to see this show come to an end without knowing what was in store for the characters.

Comment by RR – May 12, 2013 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Soooo bummed : ( Southland is one of the best shows on TV. I looked forward to watching it every week. It will be deeply missed. Sucks that they cancel such awesome show &yet so much garbage stays on TV!!!

Comment by Colleen H – May 12, 2013 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show was almost as outstanding as Breaking Bad. Maybe Netflix, HBO, or SHO will pick it up. Phony reality shows suck. Laugh-track laden drivel sucks even more.

Comment by libra – May 13, 2013 02:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh! This is very disappointing. One of my favorite shows on TV. I tuned in every week! :(

Comment by CMC – May 13, 2013 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot believe what I’ve just heard about Southland. There really is no p[oint in watching t.v. First the closer and now this.

Comment by Veronica Nunez – May 13, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Two of the best cop shows around: Boomtown & now SOUTHLAND. Everything about these shows, the way they were shot and edited, to how wonderful the characters were…due, of course, to the actors talents. This sucks! I woud think that with all the $$ being made off of all the crap being shown, i.e., “reality” shows & other prime time viewing yawns like the CSI’s, Bones, they could afford to keep one or two shows going that showed what real TALENT on both sides of the camera is capable of doing. RIP Southland…just wanted you to know that there are still people out here who appreciate excellence of craft.

Comment by AB – May 13, 2013 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are you kidding me??!! How can Southland be cancelled!? That was one of the best t.v. shows on t.v.! Tnt, do you know what you are doing? I think not! That show was the only reason I watched your channel! Why would you get rid of one of the best cop shows to date since NYPD Blue?! I really hope another network picks this show up!

Comment by scott – May 14, 2013 04:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i really really loved that show southland. it was the only good cop show worth watching. i am really going to miss the show. everytime a good show comes on tv they cancel it. i can think of some shows that really needs to be cancel. most of those reality shows could be canceled. please, please reconsider about canceling the show.

Comment by annette mason – May 14, 2013 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there a way that all these disappointed fans of Southland can be heard by the networks?

Comment by Karen – May 14, 2013 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Typical tv doublespeak to mask a stupid decision

Comment by Joe Sullivan – May 14, 2013 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a bit late to the news of the cancellation of Southland, but go figure, TNT wants to feed us more reality crap and substandard shows. Southland was the BEST show on TNT, and the BEST cop show on television. HBO or some other forward thinking network should consider picking it up where maybe the stellar acting and directing will get the actors and directors Emmys, which they sorely deserve. I’ll miss Michael Cudlitz, Regina King, Shawn Hatosy, and Ben McKenzie. Pathetic TNT, truly pathetic.

Comment by Elaine – May 14, 2013 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think we should all watch American Idol. NOTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by John – May 14, 2013 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love this show ! sorry to see it go!

Comment by pat perlee – May 14, 2013 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will miss the show, but hope they are able to make a 2 hour wrap up movie as rumored. It’s sad there are so many mindless, garbage shows are on TV but I guess those shows flourish because there are so many mindless simpletons in the U.S. RIP Southland, you will be missed.

Comment by KY1792 – May 15, 2013 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This Bites !!!!!!!!! This is the Very Best Show ! What the hell is the matter with the producers !!! First Flashpoint and now Southland !!! Let us vote !!! Ask the people who are watching all the time !!! You Dummy’s !!!!! I can’t understand you !!!! Both Super Fantastic Shows !!! Dummy’s !!!!!!

Comment by Toni – May 15, 2013 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey Showtime…. this is your chance to get new viewers…. Bring in Southland…. STAT!!! Now that Dexter is leaving….. Jump on one of the greatest cop shows behind “Hill Street Blues”. This is your opportunity Showtime…. Bring It!!! Please….

Comment by Barbara – May 15, 2013 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is really too bad that an excellent show such as “Southland” has to bear the brunt of unrealistic networks who cannot spot quality and continue to issue other such “reality fodder” in its place! Even TNT cancels it! What is Wrong with you people? CBS? NBC? ABC? Aren’t you tired of ratings games yet??? Look at the long-lived series of the past that never garnered No.1 Timelslots? The Waltons? Gunsmoke? Murder, She Wrote? Touched By An Angel? Southland is serious drama and quality subject matter. Survivor isn’t!

Comment by Harvey – May 15, 2013 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t pretend to know a lot about the industry, but I know good programming and Southland was some of the best! Too often when I mentioned the show to friends they said they’d never heard of it. This show was not promoted well and I don’t understand why. What a hole this leaves in my viewing schedule for the coming season – I already miss it!

Comment by Kathy Canary – May 17, 2013 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Insanity i tells you … What a ridiculous decision…No room for quality TV anymore,especially when there are millions and millions of the TMZ driven generation who will tune in to watch Lindsay Lohan take a sh*t ….

Comment by Warren – May 18, 2013 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so done. . . .no “Harry’s Law” and now (even worse) no “Southland” — the show that kept me, my husband (16 years older) and our 20-something son ALL TUNED IN. It bridged generations . . . . smart, real, flawed characters — not good enough to stay?

Comment by Catherine – May 18, 2013 11:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what a shame best cop show on air along with JUSTIFIED has been axed. it would be nice if just once the network could at least in the case of a really well done show go the extra 10 yards and give the fans maybe another six shows so that the storylines could be wrapped up nicely.it’s all about the BOTTOM LINE.

Comment by larry macdonald – May 20, 2013 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe netflix could pick it up. Best cop drama ever!

Comment by Becky – May 20, 2013 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very disappointed to hear Southland is cancelled. It was a great show. The Wire (HBO) was the best cop show ever on TV, and it ended after 5 seasons as well.

Comment by Scott – May 20, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post