Cops Out: TNT Cancels Southland

Get More: Cancellations

southland cancelledTNT is pulling Southland off the streets, canceling the acclaimed drama after five seasons (four on TNT, one on NBC).

In a statement, the network called the decision to ax the series a “difficult” one, adding, “We are enormously proud of Southland, which stands as one of the best police dramas ever made. Executive producers John Wells, Chris Chulack and Jonathan Lisco, along with creator Ann Biderman and our partners at Warner Bros. Television, have given us five seasons of powerful, unforgettable storytelling, for which we are deeply grateful. We also want to thank the amazing cast for their impassioned, no-holds-barred performances, and the production team for their tenacity shooting on the streets of real-world Los Angeles.We wish everyone associated with Southland the very best.”

VIDEO | Watch the Trailer for TNT’s New Drama Legends

NBC cancelled Southland in October 2009, just weeks before it was set to launch Season 2. TNT picked up the series a month later.

Both Ben McKenzie and Shawn Hatosy booked pilots this development season — the CBS legal dramas The Advocates and Reckless, respectively — though the fate of either prospective series has yet to be announced. (CBS is rumored to be announcing any new show pick-ups as early as Friday afternoon.)

Hit the comments with your Southland eulogies.

Tags: ,

Comments (263)

• You’ve got to be kidding! There is so much crap on TV and the one show I actually make time to see is gone. TNT you suck – run another rehash of SVU or CSI we all know how mind numbing those are to endure!

Comment by Osfanwest – May 10, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMGGGGG!!!! Worst decision ever made! This is the best cop show on TV!! Another tv network or cable need to pick it up!! Perhaps maybe HBO, Showtime or even AMC?!

Comment by Connie – May 10, 2013 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very upset to hear this. The acting and storylines were the best on TV. This season was the best ever.

Comment by Teri – May 10, 2013 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course it figures one of the best police dramas ever produced and it’s pulled. Gone way too soon.

Comment by Don – May 10, 2013 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TNT no longer knows drama.

Comment by Ogee – May 10, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They should have shot Ben Sherman…he ruined the show.

Comment by Roni Perkins – May 10, 2013 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The character “Ben” whose acting was embarrassing anyway this season, it was so bad I had to cover my eyes and ears…as if he where just reading his lines…he was very disconnected from his role and appeared that he was just getting through episode for the sake of just getting through it. His performance this season was least memorable. Unfortunate. As for the characters John and Sammy that acting is epic! I also hope that C. Thomas Howell reappears somewhere as he was one of the most memorable performances also this season! Ben McKenzie…go back to school…and this time…with feeling.

Comment by Roni Perkins – May 10, 2013 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I shouldn’t dignify this with a reply, but what the heck. The writers assassinated a very compelling character and a very talented, skilled, hardworking actor had nothing to work with. I felt for Ben McKenzie for being put in that terrible position. There was so much to explore with his character and it was all forgotten in favor of contrivances that had no bearing whatsoever and were so beyond anything realistic or related to the character and stories many of us became invested in right away in the pilot. Hats off to Ben McKenzie for amazing work and for making the best lemonade from some sub-standard lemons for at least 2 years too long.

All the best to him in future endeavors, starting with his pilot.

Comment by ramble – May 10, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad to see such an awesome show leave the air. My guess is ad revenue, a gritty realistic drama like Southland may not sit well with certain potential big dollar advertisers that are more family oriented, this can be a big problem for the network as it can affect it as a whole. Or maybe it was just lackluster ratings that were killing ad rates for that time slot. Unfortunately cult-like following of a show won’t make up for the millions that prefer to watch bad make-believe TV instead.

The general public seem to like the overly sensationalized cop shows where they can super enhance grainy photos to find a killer or the cops never run into an actual problem or the cavalry arrives just in the nick of time. Always…
    God forbid should the characters actually develop and transform before the audience’s eyes, struggling with their inner demons while trying to honor the oath they took as Law Enforcement Officers. We couldn’t possibly have that! Nobody will watch it!

Well, they were right, it’s likely not enough did.

Comment by Mike Shin – May 10, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TNT should have rethought this one…nobody like sloppy seconds…and this is how it turned out. So much potential. They made Ben into a cop everyone could hate. They made Sammy and Bens relationship beyond repair. They screwed up Johns character by confusing the audience with his one side of the fence or the other. I wouldn’t have supported the cancellation after the first few seasons, but this show is beyond repair…you ruined it!

Comment by Roni Perkins – May 10, 2013 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gotta make room for Big Bang Theory reruns. Southland was always too smart for the lowest common denominator, that the networks program to. I’d rather see it gone, than see Ashton Kutcher to the cast. TNT tried but they have to make room for The Rock’s new show.

Comment by Stud – May 10, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big mistake on TNT, nobody even knew that Southland was on there was no promotions/publicity. Southland was one of the best police dramas of all time. FX should take a look at this show, they support their shows like Justified.

Comment by Erica – May 10, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very sad day for television. There is very little programming worth watching but Southland was among the best I’ve seen. The station should have supported the program with more advertising but, in the end, it comes down to the fact that more viewers want to see inane reality show crap. Sad for those of us who really appreciate good writing and amazing acting. Best of luck all of the actors and production people….. You did an amazing job making us care about fictional characters and their storylines.

Comment by Tina Seals – May 10, 2013 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How can they cancel such a well done show? This does not make any sense to me. I too believe Showtime or HBO should latch onto this show. It is one of the best shows ever made. This is a real disappointment.

Comment by Joan – May 10, 2013 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never liked cop shows this show was a huge exception.

Comment by Kresh – May 10, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awe, I loved Monday Mornings…

Comment by Kari – May 10, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This BLOWS. First, NBC pulls the rug out from under them. TNT saves it, but does the EXACT same thing. They deserve ALL of the bad press they get for this decision.

Comment by Andrew – May 10, 2013 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They did not do the exact same thing. That would be canceling it after the 1st season aired on their network. They gave it 3 more.

Comment by Julie – May 10, 2013 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In these days of dvr, I rarely drop everything to watch tv. Southland was it. Ask my family, every week they’d hear “shush, my show is on!”
    Thank you, Ann Biderman for sharing your vision, and an even bigger thank you to the stellar, stellar cast who made their characters true flesh and blood for us to care about. You all did, and always will, rock!!

Comment by Motor city girl – May 10, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a shame, I don’t know why I own a TV there are no good dramas besides the Good Wife, Elementary, and Revenge. Southland and Justified are probably the best dramas on TV. I’m lucky I have HBO where you can see some good series. I hope another cable company or Starz picks Southland up, it is a great show and should not have been canceled. I can’t wait till these singing shows go of the air, and reality TV shows as well.

Comment by Richie – May 10, 2013 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously gotten to the point the worse a TV show, the better the ratings and the renewals. Unbelievable the crap that people are watching while fresh and great shows like Southland can’t find traction.
    Maybe an IQ test is in order for Nielsen families.

Comment by daviduter – May 10, 2013 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is BS! That show was the best show on teleivision. I never missed an episode. This is a real shame!

Comment by Dave – May 10, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thats to bad love this show and nobody was watching because maybe they couldnt get the channel i no my daughter couldnt get it so maybe if the cable company wouldnt charge so much for extra channels more people could watch.

Comment by vickie – May 10, 2013 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I suppose to live without knowing if Ben and Sammy ever make up? If Lydia and Russel get together (which I had been waiting since SEASON 1). And above all, what happens to John? They should produce like three episodes and put them on Itunes to wrap this up, my soul won’t be able to go on otherwise.
    And The Vampire Diaries is still on the air, and gets a spinoff. Unfair.

Comment by Lily – May 10, 2013 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Vampire Diaries is on the CW! Completely different network, completely different renewal standards. Sorry but you can’t compare the two.

Comment by Jane – May 10, 2013 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was more talking about the kind of show that gets enough audience to get a spin off, and those who don’t get enough and therefore are cancelled, because renewal is based on the audience rate.

Comment by Lily – May 10, 2013 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh I know, and I agree with you. The CW is just not the right network to mention I think. In all honesty the Vampire Diaries doesn’t get enough ratings to warrant a spin-off in normal TV land either. But I do know what you mean.

Comment by Fran – May 10, 2013 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dang!! First Leverage, now Southland?????? Well all the network needs is 5 seasons to sell to syndication. Watch for on ION.

Comment by Dahlenk – May 10, 2013 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ya thats where i watch flashpoint so theres hope

Comment by vickie – May 10, 2013 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • of course they did, it was too awesome for them.

Comment by bobbie – May 10, 2013 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No!!!!! Don’t take Southland away!!! It’s the best show ever. I can’t believe TNT would do that. Ridiculous! I am so mad!

Comment by Nickey – May 10, 2013 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely NO reason to watch TNT…THere has NEVER been any show with this kind of talent, from the actors to scripts to the filming. I swear all tv is these days…FAKEALITY…OMG completely disappointed in TNT…

Comment by Tina – May 10, 2013 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Look, I’m sad… really sad. But I’m not surprised and I can’t fault TNT for this. They gave us this show for far longer than I ever thought. When it comes down to it, it’s about ratings and money. Do I like it? No. But I really am grateful to have seen so many episodes of this fine show. That’s more than I can say for so many others.

Comment by Fran – May 10, 2013 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • :( So many of my shows are being cancelled or ending! What am I gonna do now!? lol. I watch a LOT of crime shows, but this one was different and one of the better ones…. figures. After every episode, I always ended with my jaw dropping…. pooooo!!!

Comment by scg – May 10, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And the way the season ended! This sucks.

Comment by aunt_deen@comcast.net – May 10, 2013 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hopefully a another network pickup this show where it left off

Comment by Jordan Rochez – May 10, 2013 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of the best shows on TV. Gritty, raw, great acting and entertaining. I cannot believe that TV continues to be littered with Kardashians, but this amazing drama gets the boot. Sad.

Comment by Bethany Mac – May 10, 2013 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well if you can axe Southland then I can AXE TNT… Goodbye!

Comment by Road Enforcer – May 10, 2013 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At least now I know I can cancel this station
    Thanks a lot, sheesh!

Comment by Game Bouncer (@GameBouncer) – May 10, 2013 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on TNT – can’t we get a wrap up 2 hour finale ep???????????? We need to know what happened to Cooper!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Melissa – May 10, 2013 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gutted!! :(

Comment by nannarpite – May 10, 2013 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such a great show. This is disappointing. It’s the second show today that was cancelled when I truly hoped it got one more season. Such a strong season this year, too.

Comment by rowan77 – May 10, 2013 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very sad. Great drama. Great cast. And yes, we need to know what happens to John Cooper. The best result will be if another network picks it up for a sixth season. But even a two hour special would do for now. The audience will be huge if they publicize it. Any cable network with good business sense will get right on it.

Comment by Chris57 – May 10, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jesus every time a good show comes on they cancel it
    Now we’re left with all sorts of unanswered questions
    Maybe some other network will take it over excellent acting excellent scripts can’t ask for much more than that!

Comment by Trresa – May 10, 2013 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BIG mistake, TNT!! Southland was one of the best shows on t.v. You can’t top it.

Comment by Cynthia Keel – May 10, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TNT YOU SUCK😤

Comment by Trresa – May 10, 2013 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OF COURSE THEY CANCEL GOOD SHOWS.THEY NEED TO MAKE ROOM FOR ALL THE CRAPPY “REALITY” SHOWS THAT WAY TOO MANY DIMWITTED PEOPLE MAKE POPULAR.WHEN A SHOW ABOUT REDNECKS MAKING DUCKCALLS IS A HIT,THERE IS SOMETHING TERRIBLY WRONG WITH PEOPLE

Comment by COLIG – May 10, 2013 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is horrible news. The writing was on the wall with everyone signing up for new shows. However, I don’t want to let this series go. This season was the best yet. We will not be watching anymore TNT at this house.

Comment by JennM – May 10, 2013 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No!!!! (I actually just screamed that and scared my kids). I can’t believe TNT cancelled this show. Most promos like the “television’s best drama” TNT used to promote Southland hold no weight with me but this was the one case I agreed wholeheartedly. I think the loyal fans who stuck with the show since its NBC premiere deserve a true series finale.

Comment by Allison – May 10, 2013 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE DON’T DO THIS!!! Southland is one of the best shows on TV and I loved TNT for saving it and now…..now TNT has left me brokenhearted. Please reconsider, other shows have been saved by the fans’ outcry -Southland has lots of fans.

Comment by Sandy – May 10, 2013 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is it that all the good shows are cancelled and replaced with mediocre crap and more and more reality drivel? Southland was a great show with a great cast. “Chuck” was a great show with a great cast. It’s so rare to find a show you enjoy that will actually stick around to build a fanbase over a few years. The TV execs. are idiots.

Comment by Ali – May 10, 2013 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Southland was THE best drama series ever made. Maybe NBC (or even Netflix) can right a wrong and pick the show back up and give the fans the proper send-off we deserve with one final season. It’s sad to see what TV programming has come down to… Honey Boo, Housewives of (pick a city), and ridiculously idiotic talent shows and pretty boy Bachelor shows. It’s no wonder HBO/Showtime are leaving the networks in the dust. TV is dead.

Comment by Cal – May 10, 2013 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reality shows will be the death of television. Shows like Southland make you think. Something reality shows don’t do. I will miss Southland but it was pretty obvious that the
    Last episode was indeed the last episode. I can only hope that all that talent will be utilized elsewhere. I don’t allow myself to get attatched to a show anymore, if i like it, it means it will get cancelled.

Comment by D.A. Warren – May 10, 2013 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • F U C K TNT!!!!!

Comment by Butch Bryant – May 10, 2013 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This really sucks.

Comment by Janet Vaughn – May 10, 2013 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooo!!!! This was my favorite show. How are they going to cancel it with such a cliff hanger season finale. The writing and acting was great on this show. I loved Regina King. My all time favorite scene, out of season 1, is when the gangsters where trying to break in her house to get the little black girl she was hiding out…and she came through blasting at them with a sawed off shot gun. Awesomeness!!!!

Comment by Bdizzle – May 10, 2013 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is where my jaw hits the floor.

NNNNNNNOOOOOOO!!!!

Comment by Kalee – May 10, 2013 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well at least we still got justified…. That does not cut it tho. So many questions left un answered…

Comment by Shaun C – May 10, 2013 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post