Cops Out: TNT Cancels Southland

southland cancelledTNT is pulling Southland off the streets, canceling the acclaimed drama after five seasons (four on TNT, one on NBC).

In a statement, the network called the decision to ax the series a “difficult” one, adding, “We are enormously proud of Southland, which stands as one of the best police dramas ever made. Executive producers John Wells, Chris Chulack and Jonathan Lisco, along with creator Ann Biderman and our partners at Warner Bros. Television, have given us five seasons of powerful, unforgettable storytelling, for which we are deeply grateful. We also want to thank the amazing cast for their impassioned, no-holds-barred performances, and the production team for their tenacity shooting on the streets of real-world Los Angeles.We wish everyone associated with Southland the very best.”

VIDEO | Watch the Trailer for TNT’s New Drama Legends

NBC cancelled Southland in October 2009, just weeks before it was set to launch Season 2. TNT picked up the series a month later.

Both Ben McKenzie and Shawn Hatosy booked pilots this development season — the CBS legal dramas The Advocates and Reckless, respectively — though the fate of either prospective series has yet to be announced. (CBS is rumored to be announcing any new show pick-ups as early as Friday afternoon.)

Hit the comments with your Southland eulogies.

1. dude says:

No!! i guess all good things end but too soon. MAN!!

• jeff b says:

I love this show and am saddened to see it go….they should dump some of this reality crap like honey boo boo and the like…..

• john says:

I agree

• David says:

I live and work in China and TV has become an important connection for me. Southland was one I always looked forward too – perhaps one of the best police shows on TV – why on earth was it cancelled? and why is there so much rubbish still airing? Are audiences becoming more stupid or are TV companies?

• Andy says:

I guess that shows the mentality of our future. Scary, huh?

• Robert/Chicago says:

You hit the nail on the head. Another fine show gone wile so much nonsense remains. I will miss Southland.

• Sharon says:

We should boycott TNT until they bring Southland back!

• ngyoung says:

They saved it for us for an extra 4 seasons. Should be greatful that they recognized the potential that NBC was too stupid to see.

• Lex Bradshaw says:

I am kinda with on the boycott. John Cooper gets shot and that’s it? You can’t just leave us hanging like that! Having lived it Southern California, the show was very creditable.

There are so few good dramas left on TV. All the interest seem to be in reality shows or the latest wave of awful talentless music shows. What would they do without autotune?

• Madeline Eck says:

I’m totally surprised that the powers-to-be at TNT are cancelling Southland. My husband and I watched every episode. shows like Honey-Boo-Boo are allowed to stay on. Please give this quality, well written, fine acting show another chance. Thanks, Madeline Eck

• Benny says:

They shoud not have gayed up big John I bet that turned off many a fan. Don’t ask don’t tell always is a better choice. Female creator and Female writing make things a little to sensitive sometimes. You need to check out End of Watch, now that, is the best cop movie to date.
      All military, police, fireman RULE!

• All of them?? or just the ones who aren’t “gayed up”?? They didnt gay him up. They actually gave a very good job of having him portray a MAN and a POLICE OFFICER and a PERSON who struggled with life as we all do who tried to help as we all should and just happened to be gay.

• D.S.C says:

So I take it you don’t watch Glee? John was one of the BEST characters I’ve seen on tv in many years. The show was about “real” life. There are gay people in “real” life, and the vast majority of them have never worn pink hot shorts to a club…..now that would be “gayed” up ( ;

• Oh grow up, you think there’s no real gay cops!! Being gay is what gave John Cooper appeal. I can name 10 reality shows that need to go before Southland!!!!! BAD MOVE TNT,BAD MOVE!!

• Oscar says:

Unbelievable! Cancelled one of the best shows ever on Television! I hope it haunts you.

2. Christine says:

This SUCKS. The great shows get cancelled and crap gets renewed.

• Tami Fletcher says:

ain’t this the truth!!! I loved this show.it is getting hard to find anything worth on TV anymore.

• Abe Froman says:

Breaking Bad… Game of Thrones… Boardwalk Empire… Mad Men… you must not be looking hard enough.

• Sara says:

Don’t forget Honey Boo Boo & Kardashian shows, which is so worth our time….when they are made fun of The Soup

• Joelle says:

Breaking bad is cxld too!!
          Seems to me any show that requires “watching” & interpreting is being phased out. Probably 100 more reality shows tho. Cheaper to make & the audience is…, well. U know, an easier in the mind one.
          Southland will b missed

• Nick says:

I don’t know where you heard that ridiculous rumor, but Breaking Bad isnt being cancelled, this is just the final season. It’s not of the top rated shows on cable TV. Lmao

• Peadar O'Sullivan says:

None of the series youmentionedare as good as Southland, even Game of Thrones

• Russell says:

I agree 100%. I rated Southland up there with The West Wing and Boston Legal. You really got intimate with the characters and learned to care about them. That is kinda rare in today’s TV… at least for me.

• joan says:

i agree….who cann watch that show and NOT care about John Cooper??

• Robert/Chicago says:

I agree, John Cooper was such a complex character who dealt with so many issues. The fact that he was portrayed as a gay officer was a credit to his acting capabilities. I imagine many gay police officers found Michael Cudlitz to be respectful in that role. Coopers addiction to pain killers also showed a real side as to what officers have to deal with from hazards of the job. Regina King was fabulous as was Shawn Hatosy. They started going off the reservation with Ben McKenzie’s character though. Cooper ruled and I hope he shows up in something real soon. Waht a great actor.

• Shein Die says:

I can’t believe garbage gets renewed and great, interesting, gripping shows get cancelled … This sucks Big Time!

• M3rc Nate says:

Because people watch TV for garbage now just like they go on the internet for garbage. Great gripping, deep, thoughtful shows need people that are thoughtful and deep and have great taste and want quality.

What sucks the most to me is when there is story left untold, cliffhanger. I wish the writers/studio would put out a press release saying what would have happened to the characters in the end game.

• Kristoffer says:

Agreed! I don’t understand why more people didn’t watch this show because it was one of the best police dramas on tv. I keep thinking the days of trash tv are going to be over soon but it just keeps coming with stellar ratings yet shows like Southland can’t make it past a few seasons.

• filmex2000 says:

“Men of A Certain Age” was a great show, won the prestigious Peabody Award, then was cancelled by TNT.

“Southland”, one of the best dramas on TV also won a Peabody this year, and gets the axe.

The continued renewal of “Animal House” meets “LA Law” (aka “Franklin & Bash”),proves there’s no room for quality on TNT.

• Rus Orlandos says:

Yea, I can’t wait for the “Real Housewives of Podunkville”.

3. Nan says:

YOu have got to be kidding me?!?!? Are they idiots???!!! This was the best show on television, hands down.

• Karen Huggins says:

Southland was the greatest tv series I have ever watched and I don’t think it can EVER be replaced. I always TVo so maybe that causes ratings to go uncounted – I don’t know. But, there was something so real and human about this drama and I think it’s a real shame that so many will never view it or be able to be swept away as I was.

4. Britta Unfiltered says:

Oh wow, I thought hearing Go On being canceled was the worst news of the day, but no, it’s this!! I will miss this show horribly and will be mourning it for a long time.

• Katrinka says:

I agree Britta Unfiltered. First Go On, now Southland? I’m fearing Ausiello’s tweets today. If I see “Community” & “cancelled” in the same sentence, I’m going to go all Darkest Timeline.

5. Liza says:

Sad day. Though it also seems inevitable, did the network say anything about Monday Mornings yet?

• A says:

Although i never watched this show……. i know how popular it is on TNT and that’s just SAD. i thought it would stay on longer since it’s been around for five seasons.

ALL THESE NETWORKS ARE WHEELING AND DEALING ON WHICH SHOWS STAY OR GO AND THIS ONE IS A SHOCKER! …………My thoughts are w/you SOUTHLAND FANS!

• ngyoung says:

When a show has been on that long the actors start to get a little antsy to do other things or get paid for for staying. It never caught the big ratings that it deserved no matter how many fans seemed to rave about it. I actually give TNT credit for keeping it as long as they did despite its lower ratings. 5 seasons is a good run and usually when you get this far out it is hard to keep from ruining the story with tired writing and getting their stellar reputation as one of the best cop shows ever tarnished.

• Megan says:

Yes, Monday Mornings is a one-and-done. The ratings were pretty bad.

• Monday Mornings is cancelled too….I do NOT get the thought process behind these decisions. Southland was not just a great police drama it was a great drama PERIOD. All the shades of the human animal were delivered uncut and unfiltered and I will miss this show terribly….its a good thing I read too or I would be starved for entertainment because the television landscape is looking bleaker and dumber (I was going to say “stupider” lol!!) by the season. Sigh…

6. Patrick says:

Nooooooooooooooooooo

7. Annmarie O says:

WHY???????? It’s got to be one of the very best cop shows on the darn tv! What the heck is the station management thinking?

8. Maureen says:

Am heartbroken over this decision – dumb move TNT

9. Martina says:

I’m guessing Monday Mornings is a goner too since it had lower ratings than Southland. MM was my fav new show this year

10. Becca says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Why?!?! That show is so amazing! And then the way it ended! Damn you TNT!!!!

• seattlejohn449 says:

read on HuffPo there is talk of doing a 2-hour wrap-up movie…but who knows how these things play out?

11. DL says:

A shame Southland has never found its footing in terms of audience. It’s been one of my favorite shows on television ever since its ill-fated debut on NBC. A miracle it’s lasted as long as it has, so thank you TV gods for helping it last through season 5.
    Best cop show I’ve ever seen, hands down.
    Please give Michael Cudlitz an Emmy.

12. Chuck says:

Best show on TV, now gone. Glad TNT rescued it from NBC, but gonna miss it BIG!

13. Jenna says:

:((((

14. TNT you AT LEAST owe us, the faithful viewers an EXPLANATION for cancelling it. I agree with Christine, the great shows get cancelled and the crappy ones get renewed for years and years. I call BS!

• Dottie654 says:

I absolutely agree with you, Michelle. Southland had a cult-like following, and it isn’t fair to just pull it out from under us. I kept thinking that this season the cast was really geling and the shows just kept getting better and better. Please TNT……an explanation. With all the crap shows stations like TLC and Bravo are putting on,m I would think Southland deserves another chance.

15. Dave says:

But they renewed Boston’s Finest with lower ratings?

16. Tara says:

This is ridiculous! Any chance of another network picking it up? Bring that show to Showtime or HBO!

• Hannibal G says:

With Dexter ending, Showtime will need something to fill its place..why not southland! Someone contact Showtime stat!

• maureen says:

Southland was brilliant. PLEASE, PLEASE Showtime, HBO Starz, anyone, please pick up this show. Brilliant acting and brilliant scripts. Shame on you TNT

17. No!! That makes me sad. Loved “Southland”! What happens to John Cooper? Guess we make up our own ending. In my version, he lives.

18. david says:

Im surprised by all of the cancelling i hope TNT as another fantastic show lined up to try and replace this. At least they are not as bad as NBC who releases 12 new shows like horrible animal practice (did they actually think anyone will like it???) and they end up cancelling shows that might have a chance. Its a horrible cycle

19. Everlast85 says:

This breaks my heart into million pieces. SouthLAnd was the best police procedural ever made. Damn you TNT.

20. Jaded says:

Nooooo!!! That is such awful news. What the hell?

21. Kenny says:

Let the tears begin…

22. Dave Kogan says:

This just stinks. Southland is one of the best shows on television and the best police drama ever!

23. marykon13 says:

NOOOOOO!!!!!This was the best drama on tv- can’t believe TNTis making the same mistake that NBC did!!!

24. Katherine says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

25. Laura says:

I wonder if we’ll ever find out what happened to Cooper :(

26. You have to be kidding me! Please for the love of everything holy can another network please pick up this show up!!!!????

27. Jacob D says:

Terrible decision..If they think it’s one of the best police dramas ever made, then why cancel? This show never got the recongnition it deserved at award season, which is a shame..Micheal Cudlitz character this season was one of the best I’ve ever seen and should be awarded with an Emmy Nomination, along with Gerald Mcraney..

28. jackie says:

I hope TVLine does an interview with the creators and at least telk us where they thought the characters would have ended up if they were able to put together a proper finale.

Its a frickin blood bath of TV news today

29. Rrrrrr says:

I love it when people get all mad at the station for canceling a show. TNT stood by Southland for four years, it’s not their faut the audience never showed up. Southland was one of the best shows out there, but the fact is that no one was watching, which meant that no advertisers wanted to pay for the show, which means that it was costing TNT a lot of money. Factor that in with the costs for contract renewals and blah blah, and it just wouldn’t have made sense to keep going when the show would obviously never gain the audience it needed to justify the costs. And don’t start saying “we’ll they renewed this show and it had less viewers!” because the other show probably had a lower budget. Just thank TNT for a great four years and move on, because there’s really nothing else anyone can do.

• Don J says:

Agree 100%

• EatMorePez says:

True. NBC kicked this show to the curb after seven episodes. TNT gave us another 36 episodes when they didn’t have to. Be thankful for that everyone.

• Jan Hare says:

It’s not like they did it for free, you know. They did it because there was a following for the show, which is clear because they kept it on for four more years. But they did a lousy job of promoting it. I know this because, since TNT has cancelled the OTHER shows I liked, I didn’t watch TNT much and I, as a fan from the beginning of Southland, nearly missed the first show this season. If TNT wants to keep showing umpty nine repeats of The Mentalist, okay, but Southland is a show like none other and they’re making a mistake.

• Well maybe if they had promoted SouthLAnd just a little bit, viewers might have watched. I didn’t even know last season had started before episode 3. The acting this past season was stellar and Michael Cudlitz deserves an EMMY nomination !
      This was the only show on TNT that I watched so I guess the network has lost a viewer. It’s sad the amount of garbage that passes for entertainment there is on TV nowadays. Pretty soon I’ll be watching NetFlix only.

• Sure, that makes a lot of sense if you’re going to adopt and embrace the “short view” but the reality is this show was a creative feather in TNT’s cap and they run a whole lot of other things (be they of dubious quality or not) where they could very easily afford to lose a little on it for the “long run,” not to mention, retain a small modicum of credibility in the face of the overly abundant plateful of mediocrity this channel serves up, ad nausea. As far as I’m concerned, the cancellation of this and Men of A Certain Age, the only two worthwhile things this network has served up, demonstrates a lack of resolve and backbone. Credit where credit is due, yes, they had the foresight to air both these shows but cancelling them is an outright contradiction of having done so in the first place. If there’s any upside, perhaps both shows find a wider audience via box set releases and or Netflix streaming. They can then kick themselves soundly in their own backside for not stepping up to the plate when it was happening in real time.

30. Don J says:

TNT gets my support always for picking up this show when it was dead on NBC. The writing was on the wall with the low ratings and cast members joining other pilots. No one should be angry at TNT. They supported the show and gave us 5 seasons.

31. Kris Neumann says:

This was one of the greatest cop shows on TV. I”m sorry to see it end. I never understood why NBC canceled it. I did follow it on TNT. There are so many terrible reality shows on, & this they cancel?

32. Aaron says:

THE HELL?….ARE YOU SERIOUS?….GOOD LORD GUESS SLIME LIVES AND PEARLS GET CRUSHED….WOW

33. Sareeta says:

This is terrible news, especially realizing that we will never find out whether John Cooper survived.

34. lancer824 says:

Hm. If it made it to season 6, I’ll bet John would have lived. This way he can die and not have to relive every second of his ordeal.

35. CJ says:

This is so sad, but not all that surprising. I can’t be angry over it – I’m incredibly grateful for the four extra seasons we got of Southland after NBC’s epic mistake of cancelling it in the first place. Thanks TNT. I’m sorry to see it go and at this point I just hope that the cast will be recognized come awards time.

36. Worst news ever! Hope we find out what happened to John :(

37. Gnash says:

If TNT would have given them a decent time slot it would have been their number one show.

TNT stands for sh** for brains!

38. How can they renew Boston’s Finest but not Southland?!! Not hating, but Boston’s Finest’s ratings were worse :(

• Jackie says:

Reality shows are cheaper to make. Too bad quality doesn’t trump ratings when it is most deserved

• Warren says:

Boston’s Finest is a reality series, so it’s cheaper to produce. It doesn’t need a big audience to make money. Southland, on the other hand, did.

• Jan Hare says:

Boston’s Finest has a built in story going for it – the Marathon Bombing. I thought about it as soon as the bombing happened. It IS a good show – I hate reality but this doesn’t really seem like reality to me. I want SOUTHLAND!

• HAY-JACK says:

To despise this i’m not watching Bostons finest…..Just promote southland better and it would be put it next to walking dead. Also, half of the watchers probably did’nt even know when the next season started because of the looooong breaks. I just gained interest in southland in its final season cause i did not know it existed.

39. Holly says:

How sad… the BEST. SHOW. EVER. #RIPSouthland

40. Greg F says:

After TNT canceled Men of a Certain Age, it was clear that quality took a back seat to inane content. Without Southland, there’s nothing of interest on the TNT wasteland.

41. JJ says:

Goodbye to Southland,,,, Goodbye to TNT, and all of their sponsors

42. Tim says:

Two years in a row one of the best shows – Men of a Certain Age and now Southland, get cancelled. Meanwhile silly crap like Franklin&Bash, Rizzoli and Isles, etc…live on. I don’t blame TNT, networks have to make money. If it had made money, they’d have kept it. Ensemble dramas are expensive. I do like Falling Skies, even though it’s kinda schlocky…Guess that’s my kiss of death on that one too.

• Lex Bradshaw says:

I watch Rizzoli and Isles though I am not sure why. The police station, morgue and coffee shop are all located in the same building. Kind of weird but… Perhaps it is Angie Harmon that keeps me returning.

Now for Franklin & Bash, I have no idea why that is still around. Mark-Paul Gosselaar must be related to someone high up the chain. Raising the Bar… they kept resurrecting it. The show was awful! I thought Franklin & Bash was cancelled. I guess their hope is that Heather Locklear will save it.

43. Simone says:

Great now no one will be watching TNT good luck stupid’s

• julie zeidan says:

I agree Simone. I watch very little television, but never missed Southland. I will NOT watch TNT anymore, just to set an example of what I feel. All the reality show crap on TV, hate it, but I was a huge Southland fan. They keep crap on that is patethetic, but one of the best crime dramas ever made gets cancelled. So glad my husband bought me the 5 seasons of Southland onDVD for my birthday, I will have them to cherish. I have loaned out the dvd set to several friends who have never seen it, now they are addicted. Will be a sad story to tell them it has been canceled. Shame on you TNT, you have lost a viewer.

44. MRP says:

You are caneclling the wrong show. Why do all the great, intelligent shows get cancelled? Please rethink this.

45. drewcpu says:

“We are enormously proud of Southland, which stands as one of the best police dramas ever made.”… but we’re cancelling it anyway.

Is it OK if I blame Jay Leno for this? When he took all of the 10PM slots in the week, there was no space left for Southland that was too awesome to be allowed to play on networks before 10. That’s why NBC cancelled it in the first place. I blame Jay Leno.

• Wally says:

TNT you made a big mistake. Last year you annoyed me with Men of a Certain Age but taking Southland has really enraged me. This station is fast becoming the play to lose IQ points by watching all the trash that is left; Honey Boo Boo and garbage that panders to the lower spectrum of intelligence. I will boycott your station and while I cannot have it removed from my cable provider, I will not watch it.

P.s. the person who made this decision is an idiot!

46. Erica says:

I hope another network picks it up, it’s the best cop show ever.

47. Angela says:

Southland was the best cop show on TV–very sad to see it go, but glad TNT saved it as long as they could. John Cooper lives in my version!

48. Fletcher says:

The saddest cancellation this year, by far. One of the best shows on TV today.

49. Irene says:

F U TNT! This has been the best television show for the past 5 years!! I will protest and never watch any more shows from this network again…remember NBC cancelled this show too & look how we’ll they are doing…