It's Curtains: NBC Officially Cancels Smash

smashFade out on a girl: NBC has cancelled its Broadway drama Smash, TVLine has confirmed.

The sophomore series’ end seemed a foregone conclusion in March when the Peacock Net announced the show’s move from Tuesday to Saturday.

At the time, showrunner Josh Safran told TVLine, “We’re all aware the show is not successful, but I guess I had hoped we would see what happened when The Voice came back [or] maybe they’d move us to a better time slot.”

RELATED | Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Fave Series’ Endgames, Including Smash, Law & Order: SVU, Once Upon a Time and More

The show opened its sophomore season with just 4.5 million total viewers and a 1.1 demo rating, plunging 25 and 39 percent from its freshman finale and both marking series lows. A few weeks later, NBC made the decision to move Smash to Saturdays.

Real-life behind the scenes drama led to creator Theresa Rebeck leaving the show after its first season; she has since publicly called Season 2 “a complete disaster.”

Smash will wrap with a two-hour series finale on a special night: Sunday, May 26 (9/8c).

TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect the cancellation.

1. Kris says:

I am so sorry to see this show go! I seriously love the music,the characters, the story..I can’t believe that NBC is giving up on this gem!

2. Shannon says:

I think the show lost credibility when the character of Karen Cartwright stooped low enough to date an obnoxious, ungrateful weasel like Jimmy. I can see her becoming enthusiastic about his play, but not dating him. (Nothing against the actor – just can’t stand the character.) The other problem was I think the show lost momentum when the second season didn’t start for so long. I looked forward to this show each week and hate to see it end — hope it can move to cable. It had great potential and music, but something went wrong the second season. It seemed to drag, and there was way too much Jimmy. He is just a character that the audience cannot care about enough to give him that much screen time.

3. Lorraine says:

Very upset! I have seen and loved every episode. Is there not enough love for real talent. Well back to the olé Kardashian board.

4. Alan Dvorkis says:

SAD

5. Luther says:

NBC is a Wack network. They get a good show and don’t know what to do with it. Why would I ever invest in another show on this network? I won’t. Done with NBC. They suck. Please some other network pick up Smash!!

6. Mary Ann Bell says:

Sorry to hear that this show is cancelled. Only reason I watch NBC these days so now the ratings, in my book, will only continue to fall. I felt it was truly an entertaining show. Loved the music, the characters, the costumes, the story lines. Isn’t that what entertainment TV is supposed to be? I am so tired of all the ‘reality’ shows. A great loss.

7. Kk says:

So sad to see this great show go! It was unique and fun to see all that goes into creating a broadway musical…I will miss it! I too am sick of reality tv and was finally glad there was a show worth watching. It did get a little lost this season (especially with Jimmy), but still was entertaining. Bummer! 😭

8. Patsy Kral says:

Too bad! The show is full of lots of people with great talents! I’m very disappointed and will miss it Maybe we’ll see another cop show – we’re down to about 70 now. Patsy

9. Ev says:

I really love this show and wish somehow another network could pick it up. One of my favorite shows! Will miss it.

10. S ... says:

I really hope the network changes its mind about Smash or a cable network picks it up – i love this show !!!

11. Rosy says:

I LOVED SMASH!! I thought it was the best musical show ever. Glee is over rated and Smash appealed to people of all ages. Smash was also the ONLY show I watched on NBC. Looks like I won’t be watching NBC anymore. I truly hope another network picks up the show!

12. Eagle240 says:

SMASH had it all…great actors/actresses, different plots within the show, brought Broadway to all. There are so many people who are sick and tired of the reality shows…give us a break…bring SMASH back.

13. Kay Bai. says:

NBC is rediculous, I keep getting hooked on their shows only to have every one of them cancelled. Give me a break . I’m so disappointed ..maybe if they kept some of the shows they could gain an audience. Law and order, kidnapped and now smash!!!!

14. Cindy Cameron says:

So sad to see SMASH cancelled. This was the first new and fresh show on TV. I am really tired of all the reality shows and it seems that NBC is just bringing on more of the same. No wonder it is in 4th place. BRING BACK SMASH.. they deserve another season. Hey what could NBC lose? This was the only show I watched on NBC. No wonder they are 4th in the ratings. they get a good show and then drop it…

15. WayneD says:

Just makes no sense at all. This has got to be one of the best show on TV I’ve seen in a long time. I like Voice which showcases new talent, but the Talent on Smash was unbelievable Outstanding. Yet a show like America’s got talent with the antics of Howard Stern continues to survive. And I am mentioning decent shows here. There are so many that are just plain dumb and they keep hanging on. Wonder what this says about the intellect of the average TV viewer. Thank God for PBS where the viewers, not sponsors, determine what is broadcasted.