It's Curtains: NBC Officially Cancels Smash

smashFade out on a girl: NBC has cancelled its Broadway drama Smash, TVLine has confirmed.

The sophomore series’ end seemed a foregone conclusion in March when the Peacock Net announced the show’s move from Tuesday to Saturday.

At the time, showrunner Josh Safran told TVLine, “We’re all aware the show is not successful, but I guess I had hoped we would see what happened when The Voice came back [or] maybe they’d move us to a better time slot.”

RELATED | Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Fave Series’ Endgames, Including Smash, Law & Order: SVU, Once Upon a Time and More

The show opened its sophomore season with just 4.5 million total viewers and a 1.1 demo rating, plunging 25 and 39 percent from its freshman finale and both marking series lows. A few weeks later, NBC made the decision to move Smash to Saturdays.

Real-life behind the scenes drama led to creator Theresa Rebeck leaving the show after its first season; she has since publicly called Season 2 “a complete disaster.”

Smash will wrap with a two-hour series finale on a special night: Sunday, May 26 (9/8c).

TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect the cancellation.

1. Andrew says:

also in the world of surprising news. nathan lane is gay!

• RobMF says:

wait, Nathan Lane is gay?

• webuiltthepyramids says:

Gay? NO. You don’t say.

• Mary jacobs says:

I loved the first season but I feel the second season was an extreme disappointment. The new character additions did nothing to enhance the show and it even took away from it as the story lines began to focus more on them then the main characters. Too bad the main writer left the show after the first season.

• anthony says:

I have to disagree second season was a lot better cause you see the difficulty of people moving to a different show and how some show teams get competitive which gave excitement and left torn on whos show is their favorite, to me the second season was way better

• Harmony says:

I really wish I could “like” this comment. XD

• richelle rivera says:

I love this show and am invested in the characters, except Jimmy, he bugs the heck out of me! How do they even do ratings anymore? Do they take into account people like me who watch it on demand or DVR shows? Can the ratings system be trusted anymore with the advancement of technology and the myriad ways people can watch their favorite shows? What about Netflix, hulu, etc..?

2. Mike says:

No shock here, I wonder what took so long, they should shop it around other networks, because its production value is astounding.

• Gypsy says:

Totally agree. Smash is a great production. These past few episode have been incredible. I am sorry about the decision taken by NBC.

• Mel says:

Must disagree with the “incredible episode” remark. WOW! That last one with the Kyle dying and all the flashback/songs was horrific! I could not have been more bored! That episode alone makes me completely okay with no renewal. I agree with Theresa Rebeck – season 2 is a complete disaster!

• Mike says:

Steven Spielberg can move Smash to cable. Pair McPhee & Davenport just like Hepburn and Tracy. The chemistry is there. Hilty would do wonders in the role of Roxie in a Chicago revival.
        Let Davenport direct for a change. If anyone can move Smash, Spielberg can do it.

• marsha says:

I loved Smash…NBC programming sucks and they take this off? What? Too intelligent with too much talent? I will especially miss Jack Davenport.

• Shelly says:

I too got hooked on the talent of the actors of the show…what a shame it has to end for it could have been such a winner! And I love musical theater.
          it is too bad the writer’s seemed to change the flow of the story lines to the point you wondered if there were high school students writing scripts. Steven Spielberg, for shame.

I have said for years t.v. programming, even before West Wing, is just the bottom line. They don’t care.

We pay for television sets and then are made to pay a cable company outrageous fees! And what do we receive? Garbage hours! Trash along with very tiresome disgusting commercials that actually should pay for the shows and give them enormous profits. Do you have any idea the cost per minute for commercial time? Hmmm…

And, where is it written this is what an american household is supposed to live with for entertainment? There was a time they would keep a show on the air till it gets into its groove. What a shame.

All these stupid shows with watching people either losing weight, half naked bodies in shows choreographed that is supposed to be ballroom dancing – but not.

And so much tv time geared to continuously dumb down the audience to a a 5th grade level. But why am I telling you that? You already know! If they don’t have to pay real actors for a series and get away with it that is the american way today.

Maybe Memorial Day should also be a day none of us watch t.v. and call in and or write the stations program managers and say so…People, I think it is time to rebel. I am only one, but I am one…if enough of us raise our voices to be heard just maybe we can have some wonderful programming to watch.

• Eileen Williams says:

Yes someone else who feels there are too many reality shows and not enough good old feel good shows. What happened to all the family friendly shows. I don’t want my grandchildren spending their time watching all of these shows like biggest loserers and survivors. I mean it teaches kids that you are not allowed to be overweight, it teaches them it’s not rewarding unless your ruthless and win all the time by whatever means necessary. Bring back the family fun shows that teach good family morals and honoring your father and mother, respecting family. You know like Bill Cosby only a new show. Don’t get me wrong there are a few I enjoy watching but there are still too many on the air right now.

• Eileen Williams says:

I would like to say that I absolutely Love Smash. I don’t understand how people can not enjoy the humor, music and glamor of the show. I am one of the people that will never get a chance to go to Broadway and see a play ., so this is nice for me , I get a taste of what goes on there. Also I guess being a BabyBoomer I miss a good old fashioned musical with a plot not just listening to kids sing. I think this is a travisty and I love the character Ivy. She is Marylin Monroe.

• elr says:

I’m not so disappointed that Smash got cancelled, but more disappointed in the writers and producers of the show that wasted all the potential it had.

3. Eric says:

lol I hope E! feels stupid with their stupid poll!

• JC says:

E! creates those polls just to drive traffic to their site. I think they’re smart enough to know it won’t make a difference to the network decision makers. But the people who vote in those polls and tell all of their friends to vote too? Many of them are stupid enough to believe it will make a difference.

• Harmony says:

“But the people who vote in those polls and tell all of their friends to vote too? Many of them are stupid enough to believe it will make a difference.” Oh totally, they acted like it was the network asking. lmao

• Harmony says:

I actually think they do. XD

4. Melinda Granieri says:

Sad, but not surprised. Looking forward to the final episodes.

• jane baxtet says:

SO SO DISAPPOINTED!!! Loved SMASH!!!

• Shirley says:

Why start a show if ur just going to cancel I upset bc I loved watching this musical it was a good story line I don’t care if others didn’t like it don’t watch it if u then. Again very disappointed.

5. strachpa says:

I will truly miss the train wreck of a show. One of my few guilty pleasures

• jericho says:

My sentiments exactly…. Train wreck of a show but strangely addicting. It was nice to get a musical that was not simply the kids of glee ruining another song from my youth.

• O-Town says:

Smash was like your parents doing karaoke versions of Beyonce’s Single Ladies and Alicia Keyes’ New York State of Mind set to an accordion and a recorder. Please don’t pretend it was any better than your local town’s community talent show. If you want to see theatre, go to an actual theatre. Only then can you truly experience musical theatre, not this drivel that NBC plopped out after a drunken night of watching Glee and then making that far fetched leap of making their own musical show…but with adults singing.

6. Tahoe Mike says:

Bummer, I like Smash. I hope it gets picked up by HBO, or Showtime where it can be done right.

• Melinda Granieri says:

It’s probably too late as the cast has moved on.

• Ann says:

I agree. Maybe, hopefully, HBO or Showtime has the smarts to pick up this show. It would work on cable. NBC destroyed it.

• Boris says:

I like this show and look forward to see it every week. I hope some of other smarter networks will consider to run it. Actors are great and story line will improve with the right talent.

• noreen says:

I agree…….the show has enormous potential….I was completely hooked…and am completely horrified over its cancellation.Some other network should grab the ball and run with it!!!!!!

• Rebecca Marcella says:

I am also very disappointed about this decision. Beautiful music, costumes, scripts, and most of all the incredible talent of the cast. I don’t understand why they would cancel a nice show like that and leave on stupid, gory shows aimed at a younger audience. I guess we “seasoned” viewers once again are not considered. It was one of my favorite shows and I will truly miss it. I hope another network picks it up..I feel so sorry for the cast whose efforts where incredible.

7. kate says:

it might be easier to review what NBC didn’t cancel today.

8. kristina says:

Will we still get the remaining songs on iTunes??

9. xandra says:

well, maybe there’s still time for me to figure out what HitList is about. i like the songs, but there’s a diva who steals her boyfriend’s songs then shoots someone?

• Julia says:

Karen’s character is an aspiring singer, she steals a song from Jimmy’s character and records it as her own. Then stuff happen and the diva (Ana’s character) shoots Amanda (Karen’s character), who dies and people are sad and upset.
      Not sure how the show could ever be any successful, but sad to see Smash go. It had great songs and was a rather enjoyable soap opera.

• Harmony says:

I think it’s that “then stuff happens” part that confuses people because they haven’t explained that at all. Also, no one appears to be sad or upset about Ana’ character killing Karen’s character-remember the kids were all jumping around like idiots at the end. Like “oh, well, someone just died. Let’s have a party.” *rolls eyes*

• RyanC says:

I hate that they’re forcing a comparison to Rent, which actually had a message and relevance. The most far fetched part of the entire show is that Hit List would be considered ground-breaking.

• Snsetblaze says:

Or even edgy. The plot just sounded idiotic although I did like some of the songs.

• Rob says:

I totally agree. The forced Rent comparison really irked me. In my opinion it’s an insult to Rent.

10. lissab99 says:

Muhahahahahahha

11. Ever says:

I’m sad. This show was nuanced, layered, and brilliant. Boo.

• Cara says:

I agree! So many plotlines I love, so many actors who are great. And the songs!
      Okay, yes, I don’t love every character, plotline, or song — Jimmy just never worked — but there’s always something fabulous two minutes away. Christian Borle, Megan Hilty, DEREK — love them!

12. Robin says:

booo…sad but not surprised…Big picture wise though I’m happy with NBC b/c they renewed Parenthood!!!! :D

13. Paul Cox says:

I never saw an episode of Smash, but I’ll miss seeing Katharine McPhee in commercials.

What’s the word on Hannibal?

• Tiffanie says:

If they canceled this and deception they should can Hannibal cause its ratings suck too. These shows had bigger opening ratings than Hannibal

14. corey says:

The show could have been really good had it stuck to its original premise about putting on a broadway show Bombshell and didn’t throw in all the individual drama.

• Harmony says:

Agreed. We really didn’t need the whole adultery plotline from last season or most of the stuff that’s happened this season.

15. Joey says:

I wonder how many people that watched this show were actually fans, and not just watching it because it was THE SHOW to watch and hate on each week.

• Holly says:

I can say i watched because I was an actual fan! I love Smash! I have downloaded so many of the songs and listen to them all the time. I also am really invested in the show and might have screamed with joy when Karen and Derrick finally hooked up last week!

• Loz says:

I’m not sure if I’m a week behind you but last week (the one where we found out Kyle died) Karen & Derrick did not hook up. They only kissed and nothing else. Karen told this to Jimmy and told him she loves him.
        Although I wouldn’t mind if Karen & Derrick did get together. Guess it doesn’t matter now though since it’s been cancelled… stupid network.

• Mike says:

Me too. A true and loyal fan. NBC doesn’t get it. Ignore great music and substitute some dumb dating show instead. What a cockeyed network.

• Loz says:

I would say alot of people are actually fans of the show, I am. I’m not even from America. I’m not happy about this decision that the network has made. Wish it would rethink it. Or perhaps another network can buy it.

• hate-watcher fan says:

I am a fan but most of the time watching it I hate it. I came back for the good parts and hoping that it would/could get better.

• elr says:

I was a fan, but they lost me after a couple of episodes that Jimmy was in. He’s a truly rotten character and I never could understand why Karen fawned all over him.

16. Eric says:

This is not news. It’s olds.

17. Caro says:

There has been an enormous outpouring of fan support for SMASH which indicates quite clearly that Nielson is not providing an accurate picture of the number of viewers. How can NBC ignore this? Are the network executives that out of the touch with the viewers? Do they not understand that the average SMASH viewer is more cultured and doesn’t have a Nielson box nor do they sit at home and watch television? They watch online or via Hulu or DVR and I am astonished that NBC can ignore this fact! NBC should have issued an additional press release confirming that they do not listen to the fans or care what they think and they would prefer not to have viewers who earn six figures! They certainly won’t have one in me! SMASH was the only NBC show I watched and next season I won’t be giving any NBC shows a chance! If NBC doesn’t care about the fans then why should we care about the network?

• lucy says:

Idiot. They make their money by convincing advertisers to buy time to run commercials during the broadcast- so telling them that their audience is “too cultured” to watch it LIVE is a great way to make them completely happy with their decision to cancel it. They can charge a premium based on the NUMBER of people who watch, not by how much money they make. I’m sure your six figure salary will be a balm to you- I mean, if you don’t watch TV why would you even care?

• Caro says:

Lucy, advertisers also buy time on Hulu and at NBC.com and you can’t fast forward through commercials on either of those methods of distribution, This gives the advertisers more exposure to a more sophisticated viewing audience but the numbers cannot be captured via Nielson which seems to be the only metric that NBC misguidedly pays attention to. In the future you might want to do your homework before calling someone else an idiot but thank you for sharing your ignorance!

• the girl says:

This is a phenomenon that really should be presented to all the networks. Quite frankly, with the level of sophistication TV has risen to (digital and HD, etc) I don’t understand why every single signal can’t be “counted” – why the need for Nielsen boxes at all.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Massive privacy concerns set aside for a minute, there’s the huge matter of “What age/gender/quantity is the people watching that signal?”

• Karin says:

Right on. Outdated counting and out of touch execs at NBC. Not sure I will even watch that network anymore. They just don’t get it.

• Caro says:

Karin, SMASH was the only show I watched on NBC because they generally do not offer quality programming but next year I won’t give any NBC show a chance. I hope no one else does either!

• Tom says:

Good TV doesn’t count, just the stupid ratings for the reality TV viewers.
      Cable alert! Smash is a free agent; sign it up now.

• noreen says:

I agree.I too am not a fan of NBC…..I do watch SNL though… and have been since the 70s…..however, I think they(NBC) have made a gigantic mistake in cancelling Smash!!!!

18. Midori says:

Dear Theresa Rebec,

Season 1 was a complete disaster too.

Love,

Midori

• Whatever says:

I AGREE !
      Perhaps if Ms Rebec had come out with a stronger show from DAY 1 Smash would of had better ratings
      Smash could never rebound from the mistakes made in Rebec’s Season 1

19. JAO says:

There goes another NBC cancellation mistake. I agree with Caro above. Smash viewers are more cultured and smarter. I was really enjoying Hit List.

20. Loz says:

:( Not happy Jan, not happy.
    Not sure what NBC is thinking with cancelling this show. It’s such a different show to watch and the characters/actors are all fantastic. Sad to see it go.
    Please can someone else pick it up?

21. Kay says:

Oh you guys, you’re so cute. Nobody was actually watching, and a lot of people who were were hate watching. At least last season was gloriously bad, this season was just boring. Hit list didn’t seem to have a plot, jimmy was a douche with no redeeming qualities and Kyle was just a plot device. Only reasons to watch were Derek, ivy and Tom.

22. Fernanda says:

Great Songs, Awesome Performances, Bad Writing, Worst / Boring / Annoying Characters (JEREMY JORDAN’s Jimmy was the Broadway version of Chuck Bass, thank you Safran), the only triple treat on SMASH was Megan Hilty, I love K McPhee as performer but not as an actress.

The Broadway drama would continue but in Glee. #FunnyGirlRachelBerry

23. Et al. says:

I’m okay with the show ending as long as Bombshell goes to broadway for real. I’ve said it before but it bears repeating. The composers of Hairspray do not write a BRILLIANT musical like Bombshell just for TV. And Universal who is very much into broadway production with shows like Wicked and Shrek does not sit on this property. Put Meagan Hilty in the show for real and it will be a… Wait for it… Smash.

24. Dee Dee says:

BOO! I knew it was coming, but there was a part of me still holding out hope. Gonna miss Smash.

25. mia says:

They should have held season two back to air it alongside the voice then.

26. philsher says:

I looked forward to Smash; so disappointed.

27. Eric O says:

Lucy – stop calling people “idiots” when you’re not thinking too clearly yourself. People still have to fast forward through commercials on the DVR. Heck, people can pause live TV at the ads, go do a little housework, then fast forward through the ads. People are made to watch commercials when they watch the shows Online or via On Demand – in most cases you CAN’T fast forward when watching online or via On Demand. And with digital technology today, they should be able to get a MUCH more accurate rating than with just the Nielsen boxes. So yes, the networks are now being very unrealistic and NOT giving the viewers what they want – especially when witnessing the online outcry over this show’s cancellation.

• lucy says:

Your show only gets to be made if the network makes enough money from selling ads. It is very simple. And they make that money from selling space during the LIVE broadcast on their network. And they can charge more for that time IF the show has higher ratings, because it proves to the advertisers that they are potentially getting a lot of eyes on their product. The Neilson’s are what drive the price. If you watch it online, they do not make as much money from those little ads as they do selling broadcast time. So it doesn’t matter to them that you are so rich and cultured that you can’t be bothered to watch it live. The broadcast ads PAY FOR THE SHOW. Smash has 800,000 viewers that watched it live and those are the ONLY viewers the advertisers, and therefor the network, care about. All the online tantrums in the world will not change the fact that not enough people watched the show when it aired.

• Melinda says:

The ratings are now calculated by live views and those dvr’d within seven days because so many people no longer watch shows live. The numbers got bumped up but not enough to afford the production values and actors. I will certainly miss the show. It wasn’t perfect but better than most of the pap that’s on right now.

28. Little Scarf Girl says:

My parents loved this show. :( They’re sad it’s being cancelled.

• Jackie Robinson says:

This show was the only show on NBC that I watched. I would DVR it each week since the move to Saturday nights. NBC seems to cater to idiots ;therefore, Smash was doomed. It seems the only shows that make it these days are ones that are geared to those with lower level intelligence.Smash being cancelled is truly tragic and is a commentary on NBC ‘s stupidity. The junk that they keep on that network and call” must see tv” is pathetic.

29. Toia says:

No suprise that the show is canned. But I think there is a lesson to be learned don’t tape your entire run before it airs. Every decision you make is set in stone and when you have terrible characters [read:Jimmy] or write awful character decisions [read:everything Karen does] you can shape then as the show run. The network however chose to film both seasons then air them and it didn’t serve the show well. I am an aspiring writer and sometime you outline a story then as you are writing it it changes (that’s why it take so long to write books) revision is a good thing (unless you get all George Lucas about it) once the episodes are in the can you can reshape the season

• Erica says:

Um, except for the part where they DIDN’T film the entire show all at once. They were still filming the season a couple of months ago; one of my friends in NYC actually watched them filming.

30. jack says:

Sorry to see the show go.

31. bobbie says:

NBC sucks. They are floundering, flailing their decisions, lost at sea.

metaphors be with you!

32. Derek Tan says:

Smash season 1 was bad. Season 2 was a mess. It became something so different I couldn’t even recognize. And because of Smash’s bad reputation, we’re never going to see a good drama about Broadway. I love Broadway and having Smash at the beginning showed good promise of a good drama about Broadway. No network is going to gamble withanother show with the premise.

33. Whatever says:

Knew it was coming BUT still sad to see it go.

34. Mark P says:

To those who didn’t understand the plot of Hit List, here how it goes and the songs involved:

Jessie is a thug, Amanda’s an aspiring singer (Rewrite this Story). Amanda auditions for a record label (Good for You) but she didn’t make it. She decides to commit suicide by jumping off the bridge (Broadway Here I Come). But Jessie sees her and stops her from doing this (The Love I Meant to Say). They fall in love, blah blah. Amanda watches The Diva’s performance (Reach For You) and gets jealous. Amanda tells Jessie that you have to Original (Original) in order to succeed in show business. Jessie tells Amanda that he would help her succeed if she sings his songs. Hit List is Jessie’s songs for the people in his life.

Amanda steals The Love I Meant To Say and sings it. She becomes famous. Jessie, blinded by love, still makes songs for her. In (Don’t Let Me Know), we see Amanda getting successful in her business as she forgets Jessie.

Amanda gets to have a collab with the Diva (there’s a song here I just forgot, not yet released). Jessie goes to the concert of Amanda, now named Nina (I Heard Your Voice in a Dream). Amanda humiliates the Diva in their performance of the collab song which ruins the career of the Diva. Jessie can’t believe what Amanda did (Caught in the Storm).

End of Act 1
    Act 2

Years later. Diva’s back to her old town. Not famous anymore.
    Amanda’s striving for her career without Jessie’s songs. She asked Jessie if they can be together again and she’s willing to drop all of her fame for him. They reminisce this in the bridge where they first met (Heart Shaped Wreckage). Then blah blah blah, in Amanda;s concert, Diva shot her. Amanda died. (The Goodbye Song)

Of course this is not accurate but this is what I unerstand from watching the show :) There will be more in the last three episodes of Smash :(

• Rebecca says:

Thanks for that! That helps quite a bit!

Sad the show is cancelled, and sadder still: not surprised. I’ve been holding on this season waiting for … Something.
      I didn’t like that Kyle was so mousy and annoying, and then he’s phenomenal? And you care anout him.. and then BAM! he’s dead. Good actor (that kid), but probably the only new character I liked. If Jimmy wasn’t such a prat, he could be likable too. Interested in watching how the story ends.

35. Liana in San Diego says:

Finally. Now Jack Davenport is free to sign up with something worthy of his talents. He’s a great actor totally underused on this show and the only one worth watching, which tells you a lot about how bad everyone else is.

36. Nikkidiva says:

Great potential…ruined by high school overacting and forced plot lines. Too bad.

37. ALISON says:

I love this show! Its wonderful to have a break from reality tv. If i wanted reality i wouldnt be watching tv! I knowits naive to believe another network or cable will allow it to continue, but I can wish!

38. Lilly says:

As much as I have enjoyed this show I am completely not surprised or all that disappointed. I loved the first season for all its faults and I had high hopes for the second season. Unfortunately the addition of Jimmy, the off the wall drama, the lack of focus, and the terrible way the characters have been handled has led me to not watch live, and only sometimes watch online. I know you can never please everyone but when most people are at the end of the first season asking for something to occur it might behoove you to at least look like you are giving them what they want. Derek and Karen was something many people wanted…instead we get Jimmy, and a Derek who can keep it in his pants. We got Karen who goes from one controlling hothead to another. I no longer had any real love for the characters, I hated how after the entire first season being about Karen and Marilyn we lose focus on Marilyn and get a rent wanna be. The writers and show runners obviously didn’t listen to a thing fans asked for and that cost them big. The only good thing about this season has been some of the music. We lost the magic of the first season with this new direction. I’ll probably watch the finale, but in all honesty this show ended for me a long time ago.

39. Terry says:

I really, really enjoyed the show. True, season 2 started going down the soapy path, but it was righting itself the last couple of episodes. Incredible talent on that show, too bad that the network is more interested in mindless schmaltz than quality.

40. Sue says:

I want the NBC persons who cancelled smashed to be fired!!!!!!!!!!

41. Lulu nyc says:

Spielberg use your unparralled Hollywood power and move this somewhere else. This corporate bs at NBC should NOT DICtate the ultimate power of creativity and the cries of the public. Very sophisticated entertaining premise even if I am biased as a NYC actress lol.

42. Nick Carter says:

I loved “Smash” sad to see it go. On the upside, we got 2 new musicals on broadway. If the cable or networks pursue a broadway musical/drama. I still hope they do in 5-10 years they should really double check the writing and it is sad NBC has nothing on anymore and I am sick of Donald Trump too. I am sick of all of the reality shows and “Celebrityism” I am going to write an article on my blog soon. I have done so many things I regret. But I will miss this show.

43. SAM says:

Forget NBC… This was the ONLY show I watched on their network and now I’m free of the peacock altogether. I looked forward to Smash every week. Oh well…in my opinion, this is just another nail in the television coffin.

And as for the Nielsen rating system…it’s OUTDATED! All the networks need to begin paying attention to other metrics. Cancelling quality shows for the reality drivel they give us just goes to show where America is headed. Stop the insanity, we intelligent viewers would like to get off!

44. Eileen says:

I am so surprised that this show is being cancelled. There are so many great, talented people…it’s too bad the writers couldn’t have let them “do their thing”. I wish another network would pick this show up and give it a “makeover” with good writing. It should and could be a very succesfful show.

45. Janice says:

Loved the premise and loved the talented actors that worked on it, but didn’t care as much for the second season as I did the first. Unfortunately the writers strayed from their original premise and shortchanged everyone. I am sad to see it go because I love musical theatre and this talented cast was terrific! Too bad NBC can’t see quality even when it hits them in the face.

46. Kit says:

Very sad Smash is going! I agree the show needed story help, but the characters were real and revolved around each other in a way that drove the show forward despite story gaps. I will miss it, and I think the bad time slots helped kill it.

47. Jlockyer says:

Love this show about time we got something besides reality tv but NBC as usual is making a mistake, hence the reason they are no longer the number one network never will be if the keep canceling good programs!

48. Candy hull says:

Loved Smash! Great talent, music, acting! Loved the first season better than this season but the music and singing are sooooo good! Will miss it!!

49. Matt says:

Terrible show. All flash, no heart, no soul. Perfect example of all that is wrong with network TV dramas.

50. Jenny says:

While the music has been MUCH better than the acting (which has kind of been atrocious), I still feel the show was worth keeping around for another season. I think Safran had some amazing additions to this season – mainly bringing in new songwriters (Andrew McMahon of Jack’s Mannequin) and introducing Hit List (which represents a different view of Broadway) – but I do agree that something was lacking. I’m just sad we’re left with GLEE as the representation of musical TV shows. That show has certainly been dumbed down for teens in the last couple years.