Ratings: Scandal Surges to Series High and Beats Idol; Community Ticks Up With Finale

Get More: Finales, Ratings

Community - Season 4In what can best be called a “Hail Mary,” NBC’s yet-to-be-renewed Community delivered a ratings uptick with its Thursday night finale, rising one single tenth to a 1.3, while rising to 3.1 million total viewers.

Ausiello in turn has changed the Greendale Gang’s status on TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard.

Elsewhere on NBC, the penultimate episode of The Office ever surged 26 and 28 percent to 4.4 mil and a 2.3, its best rating since Nov. 7, while Hannibal was flat with 2.7 mil/1.1.

RELATED | Scandal Recap: Albatross — and His/Her Accomplice — Revealed!

ABC’s Scandal (8.9 mil/3.2) rose 23 percent week-to-week to hit an all-time high demo rating, building on its Grey’s Anatomy lead-in (8.6 mil/2.9, down a tenth) and besting a Thursday American Idol for the first time ever.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Recap: Did Arizona Succumb to Lauren’s Charms?

Over on CBS, The Big Bang Theory (15.7 mil/4.6) dipped 6 percent, Two and a Half Men‘s season ender (12.6 mil/3.4) rose two tenths, Person of Interest‘s sophomore closer (13 mil/2.4) was steady and Elementary (9.2 mil/1.8) dipped two tenths to a series low.

RELATED | Glee Finale Recap: So Long, Farewell. It’s Regionals! Goodbye

Fox’s American Idol (2.8) and Glee (2.1) each inched up two tenths.

RELATED | The Vampire Diaries Recap: Who Gave Up the Ghost?

The CW’s Vampire Diaries (2.2 mil/0.9) ticked down a tenth, while Beauty and the Beast (1.3 mil/0.5) was flat.

Comments (48)

• If Comm is renewed, then can we have new showrunners? While this season was less meta, the bipolar character development really hampered my enjoyment.

Comment by Mila – May 10, 2013 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I say since Chevy is gone (THANK GOD) Dan Harmon should be welcomed back and apologized to by those who fired him!

Comment by Kim – May 10, 2013 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Harmon’s return is HIGHLY unlikely, but if they offered Megan Ganz the showrunner slot — anything is possible.

Comment by digitalred93 – May 10, 2013 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • She left Community to write for Modern Family next season.

Comment by furbul – May 10, 2013 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, the character development was seriously hindered. I wouldn’t even call it that. I’d say they all regressed, majorly. Jeff turned into an asshole. Annie acting like a schoolgirl with a one-sided crush wasn’t the same Annie from season 3. Plus her crush on Jeff isn’t one sided like this season tried to suggest. Troy was barely used. Britta lost all her bite and started crushing on Jeff now. Shirley was hardly used. They redeemed Pierce somewhat but on the whole, major character regression happened.

I would watch season 5 if they had new show runners.

Comment by Liz – May 10, 2013 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I spent the season talking myself into watching it because I was losing interest… I’m way more interested in Go On’s renewal than Community’s at this point

Comment by Maris – May 10, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The only way I would watch Community if it were renewed is if Dan Harmon returned. As it stands, I doubt that will happen.

At least we got three great seasons out of the show (S1 – S3).

Comment by Todd – May 10, 2013 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • impressive for a 10pm show
    thanks to OLITZ reunion

Comment by love – May 10, 2013 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah well this episode just ruined the OLITZ reunion since Liv found out Fitz never chose her. He was already not running for office. Liz is starting to look stupid and she’s not.

Comment by Bigdede – May 10, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Fitz chose Liv over Mellie. Next week he talks about divorce and marriage.

Comment by Sarah – May 10, 2013 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • your post is pure nonsense
        you dont watch and understand the show

Comment by love – May 10, 2013 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow! That’s awesome for ABC. Go Grey’s and Scandal this week! Hopefully ABC doesn’t move these two shows at all because they have a pretty strong 9-11 pm punch on Thursday nights right now and you shouldn’t fix what isn’t broke! =)

Comment by HeatherC – May 10, 2013 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC is just toying with our emotions at this point. Tell us if Community is renewed or not!!

Comment by Aleksa – May 10, 2013 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think last night’s episode of Elementary was one of the better ones this season. The ending packed a nice punch (and amazing acting by JLM). I hope the ratings increase next week… The 2-hour finale looks to be great..

Comment by DarkDefender – May 10, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Although I sort of agree about moving Greys and Scandal, I do realise that Greys has probably only 1 or two years left in it and if they think Scandal is strong enough on its own, they could move it to Thursdays at 9pm as new anchor for the night and either move Greys to 10pm or a new night.

Comment by Martin – May 10, 2013 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I dont think they will put Scandal by itself on such a strong night yet. Grey still performers well and they are not sure how Scandal will do by itselfs. They will give it a easier day to win to see what happens and leave Grey’s where it is

Comment by ggny – May 10, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The only reason that Scandal is doing well IS because it is attached to Greys Anatomy. Otherwise…

Comment by Tania – May 10, 2013 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah… that’s why it had MORE viewers th

Comment by nikki – May 10, 2013 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • than Grey’s.

Comment by nikki – May 10, 2013 08:55 PM PDT
    • Scandal’s content is also more suited to a 10pm timeslot

Comment by A – May 10, 2013 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy to see that Beauty & the Beast is up in total viewers. Last nights episode was great and the finale looks intense. Can’t wait to see where this show goes in season 2.

Comment by Jared – May 10, 2013 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow go Scandal! So glad it’s starting to catch fire now, next weeks ep looks awesome!

Comment by Nick – May 10, 2013 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community needs to bring back Harmon and keep Chevy Chase :(

Comment by Fan – May 10, 2013 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • bring back harmon yes but u dont really need chevy

Comment by chris – May 10, 2013 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • agree, Chevy’s long since outlived his usefulness. Get someone else to replace him. What’s Bill Shatner doing now? Or get really trippy and maybe see if they can get someone like Tom Baker

Comment by Tom Charles – May 10, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HOLY CRAP. UNBELIEVABLE NUMBERS FOR SCANDAL. omg. a 0.6 jump from last week? 0.4 above the previous series high? hitting a series high for the THIRD time this season? as a serialized drama? on network television? WHAT IS THIS WITCHCRAFT!? hahaha but soooooo happy and excited. couldn’t happen to a better show.

Comment by Bee – May 10, 2013 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OLITZ OLITZ OLITZ REUNION

Comment by love – May 10, 2013 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The power of Olitz!!

Comment by Sarah – May 10, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • exactly
      it INSANE how much power Olitz has

Comment by love – May 10, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Scandal will hopefully show what you can do with a show if you give it a chance. I figured the show was a throw away with 7 episodes so late in the season, it’s now the biggest show on the network!

And it’s insane, in less than 30 episodes, murder, elections, assignations, moles. It’s just moves right along and nothing can stop it.

Comment by Midori – May 10, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think that is one reason the show is doing so well…it moves along at a quick pace, is brimming with storylines and there are no “filler” episodes…other network shows need to take note, because scandal sure is doing something right.

Comment by Paul – May 10, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay Scandal. Go gladiators!!

Comment by Pati D – May 10, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Leave Scandal at 10pm. If they put the Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. at 8pm I would definitely watch. i stopped watching Grey’s a long time ago so i will cut out to watch Person of interest but Grey’s is going strong still.

Comment by Mika02 – May 10, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Scandal is most likely gonna get it own night to help launch other new shows. I doubt they keep it behind Grey’s after how strong it been doing

Comment by ggny – May 10, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In my mind, I can see ABC doing one of 3 things:
    1. Leaving everything as is.
    2. Flip GA and Scandal’s times on Thursdays.
    3. Moving Scandal to 9:00 p.m. Thursdays & moving GA to Tuesday’s or Wednesday’s @ 10:00 p.m.
    As Martin said in an earlier post, GA has next season & MAYBE another season left, whereas Scandal can remain on the air for maybe another 5 years at least if the ratings keep going up.

Comment by CJS – May 10, 2013 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am affraid that ABC is going to move Scandal to Sunday
      because Sundays is in bad shape right now

ABC is stupid if they move Scandal

Comment by love – May 10, 2013 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I dont think ABC will throw Scandal into Lion den by itself on Thursday just yet. They will give it a easier night they know they can win with it. And if it grows even more there then a move to Thursday will probably happen

Comment by ggny – May 10, 2013 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • GA at 8pm, the time slot on Thursday is death on ABC, and Scandal on at 9pm, and new show on at 10 after it.

Comment by Midori – May 10, 2013 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really Happy For Scandal, But I Think Maybe Fox Could Cancel Idol

Comment by Augusto Angulo – May 10, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think they should give it a break for a season. Take this next season off retool the show

Comment by ggny – May 10, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please please renew Community!

Comment by Wendy – May 10, 2013 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! for Scandal. Such a great show.
    And The Office was wonderful last night. Next week I’m sure there will be more tears. Lovely send-off.

Comment by Jenna – May 10, 2013 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love each of Community’s actors, and I’d prefer to see them move on to better things now than be stifled inside a show that can’t possibly be what it once was. I appreciate the effort put into the 4th season, but please put Community out of its misery, NBC!

Comment by mondosalvo – May 10, 2013 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Big Bang theory was great last night. The Sheldon and amy scene ruled

Comment by Paul8148 – May 10, 2013 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t cock-tease us with this ‘yet-to-be’ balls. I’ve said goodbye to community, if they DO get a season 5 I will be ridiculously happy, however as it is, I’m willing to accept that was the end. I’m just a bit sad there was no hinting as to the future of Jeff/Annie.

Comment by Ben – May 10, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t know that Scandal was a cartoon series. I generally don’t care for Shonda Rhimes programs but I did see the first mid-season episodes and found it intriguing. However, lord have mercy what a complete mess of a series it has turned into and very quickly I might add. So it isn’t a surprise that it has viewers. I’m know that I’m in the minority here with this comment, but there you go.

Comment by Tania – May 10, 2013 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally speaking, the only really good shows on Thursday are Person of Interest, Elementary and Hannibal. I fear that Hannibal will be cancelled though. Pity.

Comment by Tania – May 10, 2013 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post