Ratings: Scandal Surges to Series High and Beats Idol; Community Ticks Up With Finale

Community - Season 4In what can best be called a “Hail Mary,” NBC’s yet-to-be-renewed Community delivered a ratings uptick with its Thursday night finale, rising one single tenth to a 1.3, while rising to 3.1 million total viewers.

Ausiello in turn has changed the Greendale Gang’s status on TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard.

Elsewhere on NBC, the penultimate episode of The Office ever surged 26 and 28 percent to 4.4 mil and a 2.3, its best rating since Nov. 7, while Hannibal was flat with 2.7 mil/1.1.

RELATED | Scandal Recap: Albatross — and His/Her Accomplice — Revealed!

ABC’s Scandal (8.9 mil/3.2) rose 23 percent week-to-week to hit an all-time high demo rating, building on its Grey’s Anatomy lead-in (8.6 mil/2.9, down a tenth) and besting a Thursday American Idol for the first time ever.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Recap: Did Arizona Succumb to Lauren’s Charms?

Over on CBS, The Big Bang Theory (15.7 mil/4.6) dipped 6 percent, Two and a Half Men‘s season ender (12.6 mil/3.4) rose two tenths, Person of Interest‘s sophomore closer (13 mil/2.4) was steady and Elementary (9.2 mil/1.8) dipped two tenths to a series low.

RELATED | Glee Finale Recap: So Long, Farewell. It’s Regionals! Goodbye

Fox’s American Idol (2.8) and Glee (2.1) each inched up two tenths.

RELATED | The Vampire Diaries Recap: Who Gave Up the Ghost?

The CW’s Vampire Diaries (2.2 mil/0.9) ticked down a tenth, while Beauty and the Beast (1.3 mil/0.5) was flat.

1. Mila says:

If Comm is renewed, then can we have new showrunners? While this season was less meta, the bipolar character development really hampered my enjoyment.

• Kim says:

I say since Chevy is gone (THANK GOD) Dan Harmon should be welcomed back and apologized to by those who fired him!

• Liz says:

Yeah, the character development was seriously hindered. I wouldn’t even call it that. I’d say they all regressed, majorly. Jeff turned into an asshole. Annie acting like a schoolgirl with a one-sided crush wasn’t the same Annie from season 3. Plus her crush on Jeff isn’t one sided like this season tried to suggest. Troy was barely used. Britta lost all her bite and started crushing on Jeff now. Shirley was hardly used. They redeemed Pierce somewhat but on the whole, major character regression happened.

I would watch season 5 if they had new show runners.

• Maris says:

Yeah, I spent the season talking myself into watching it because I was losing interest… I’m way more interested in Go On’s renewal than Community’s at this point

• Todd says:

The only way I would watch Community if it were renewed is if Dan Harmon returned. As it stands, I doubt that will happen.

At least we got three great seasons out of the show (S1 – S3).

2. love says:

impressive for a 10pm show
    thanks to OLITZ reunion

• Bigdede says:

Yeah well this episode just ruined the OLITZ reunion since Liv found out Fitz never chose her. He was already not running for office. Liz is starting to look stupid and she’s not.

3. HeatherC says:

Wow! That’s awesome for ABC. Go Grey’s and Scandal this week! Hopefully ABC doesn’t move these two shows at all because they have a pretty strong 9-11 pm punch on Thursday nights right now and you shouldn’t fix what isn’t broke! =)

4. Aleksa says:

NBC is just toying with our emotions at this point. Tell us if Community is renewed or not!!

• DarkDefender says:

I think last night’s episode of Elementary was one of the better ones this season. The ending packed a nice punch (and amazing acting by JLM). I hope the ratings increase next week… The 2-hour finale looks to be great..

5. Martin says:

Although I sort of agree about moving Greys and Scandal, I do realise that Greys has probably only 1 or two years left in it and if they think Scandal is strong enough on its own, they could move it to Thursdays at 9pm as new anchor for the night and either move Greys to 10pm or a new night.

6. Jared says:

Happy to see that Beauty & the Beast is up in total viewers. Last nights episode was great and the finale looks intense. Can’t wait to see where this show goes in season 2.

7. Nick says:

Wow go Scandal! So glad it’s starting to catch fire now, next weeks ep looks awesome!

8. Fan says:

Community needs to bring back Harmon and keep Chevy Chase :(

• chris says:

bring back harmon yes but u dont really need chevy

• Tom Charles says:

agree, Chevy’s long since outlived his usefulness. Get someone else to replace him. What’s Bill Shatner doing now? Or get really trippy and maybe see if they can get someone like Tom Baker

9. Bee says:

HOLY CRAP. UNBELIEVABLE NUMBERS FOR SCANDAL. omg. a 0.6 jump from last week? 0.4 above the previous series high? hitting a series high for the THIRD time this season? as a serialized drama? on network television? WHAT IS THIS WITCHCRAFT!? hahaha but soooooo happy and excited. couldn’t happen to a better show.

10. Sarah says:

The power of Olitz!!

11. Midori says:

Scandal will hopefully show what you can do with a show if you give it a chance. I figured the show was a throw away with 7 episodes so late in the season, it’s now the biggest show on the network!

And it’s insane, in less than 30 episodes, murder, elections, assignations, moles. It’s just moves right along and nothing can stop it.

• Paul says:

I think that is one reason the show is doing so well…it moves along at a quick pace, is brimming with storylines and there are no “filler” episodes…other network shows need to take note, because scandal sure is doing something right.

12. Pati D says:

Yay Scandal. Go gladiators!!

13. Mika02 says:

Leave Scandal at 10pm. If they put the Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. at 8pm I would definitely watch. i stopped watching Grey’s a long time ago so i will cut out to watch Person of interest but Grey’s is going strong still.

• ggny says:

Scandal is most likely gonna get it own night to help launch other new shows. I doubt they keep it behind Grey’s after how strong it been doing

14. CJS says:

In my mind, I can see ABC doing one of 3 things:
    1. Leaving everything as is.
    2. Flip GA and Scandal’s times on Thursdays.
    3. Moving Scandal to 9:00 p.m. Thursdays & moving GA to Tuesday’s or Wednesday’s @ 10:00 p.m.
    As Martin said in an earlier post, GA has next season & MAYBE another season left, whereas Scandal can remain on the air for maybe another 5 years at least if the ratings keep going up.

• love says:

I am affraid that ABC is going to move Scandal to Sunday
      because Sundays is in bad shape right now

ABC is stupid if they move Scandal

• ggny says:

I dont think ABC will throw Scandal into Lion den by itself on Thursday just yet. They will give it a easier night they know they can win with it. And if it grows even more there then a move to Thursday will probably happen

• Midori says:

GA at 8pm, the time slot on Thursday is death on ABC, and Scandal on at 9pm, and new show on at 10 after it.

15. Really Happy For Scandal, But I Think Maybe Fox Could Cancel Idol

16. Wendy says:

Please please renew Community!

17. Jenna says:

Yay! for Scandal. Such a great show.
    And The Office was wonderful last night. Next week I’m sure there will be more tears. Lovely send-off.

18. mondosalvo says:

I love each of Community’s actors, and I’d prefer to see them move on to better things now than be stifled inside a show that can’t possibly be what it once was. I appreciate the effort put into the 4th season, but please put Community out of its misery, NBC!

19. Paul8148 says:

The Big Bang theory was great last night. The Sheldon and amy scene ruled

20. Ben says:

Don’t cock-tease us with this ‘yet-to-be’ balls. I’ve said goodbye to community, if they DO get a season 5 I will be ridiculously happy, however as it is, I’m willing to accept that was the end. I’m just a bit sad there was no hinting as to the future of Jeff/Annie.

21. Tania says:

I didn’t know that Scandal was a cartoon series. I generally don’t care for Shonda Rhimes programs but I did see the first mid-season episodes and found it intriguing. However, lord have mercy what a complete mess of a series it has turned into and very quickly I might add. So it isn’t a surprise that it has viewers. I’m know that I’m in the minority here with this comment, but there you go.

22. Tania says:

Personally speaking, the only really good shows on Thursday are Person of Interest, Elementary and Hannibal. I fear that Hannibal will be cancelled though. Pity.