NBC Cancels Matthew Perry's Go On

Get More: Cancellations

Go On Cancelled The Peacock bloodbath continues…

NBC has cancelled Matthew Perry’s rookie comedy Go On, TVLine has confirmed.

Go On‘s death brings to five the number of shows the network has euthanized in the past 24 hours (a number that is expected to rise). It joins fellow freshman series 1600 Penn, Guys With Kids and Deception, as well as Up All Night and Whitney. Even the news division isn’t safe — NBC has also axed Brian Williams’ Rock Center.

RELATED | Fall TV Preview: See Photos of NBC’s New Fall Series!

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated.

Tags: ,

Comments (361)

• I am so sad right now…I grew so fond of the characters…this is a completely stupid decision…

Comment by Kate'shomesick – May 10, 2013 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This has got to be a mistake. I love(d) this show. What was NBC thinking?

Comment by Lisa – May 10, 2013 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really don’t get this decision. While not a spectacular show, it was solid and I thought it had a chance to grow in year two. For a last place network desperate for a show that has ANY audience this makes even less sense.

Comment by KD – May 10, 2013 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is such a disappointment. I thoroughly enjoyed Go On the entire season..even with the “meh” episodes. Taking away a show way too early. (just like Studio 60)

Comment by Ali – May 10, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugggggh…. my schedule’s opening up more and more! Grrrrruuufff!

Comment by scg – May 10, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This really sucks. I am not usually a big Matthew Perry fan, but I love John Cho and the ensemble cast was great on this! It was the only comedy I was actually watching week to week on a regular network. And the only NBS show I watch, period. No more NBC for me, i guess.

Comment by SLS – May 10, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe it! It was so good!

Comment by Rachel – May 10, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WTF noooooooooooo

Comment by Josh Emerson – May 10, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Noooooo!

Comment by No more Go On :( – May 10, 2013 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will be livid if the New Normal gets renewed instead. This is a monstrous joke. I believe that Go On rated as well as it could of on this network. It’s hard for a freshman comedy to instantly attract audiences, especially when you throw around time slots.

Comment by Sokratis – May 10, 2013 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. Who the hell is running that network (into the ground)? I really thought Go On was one of the few good sitcoms remaining on the network. Guess Hannibal’s gone as well after this shocker. No reason to watch NBC if Community goes away as well. Oh well. At least I still have Person of Interest for my drama needs and Bob’s Burgers for my comedic needs.

Comment by spikespeigel (@spikespeigel) – May 10, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the first cancellation of the year that has truly surprised me. I’ll admit that it didn’t like it as first, but Go On has really found its voice over the last half of the season.

Comment by Eric – May 10, 2013 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummer. I really liked this show. It was starting to get good.

Comment by Danielle – May 10, 2013 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOO, I am beyond devestated. This was one my favourite shows.

Comment by Mel – May 10, 2013 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of all the cancelations this year, this is the most upsetting. A few shows I watch were canceled, but it was the crazy group of characters that I fell in love with this year. They will be missed.

Comment by Melody Paris – May 10, 2013 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shame on you NBC! Go On is great and with The New Normal, it WAS the funniest/best comedy block you’ve had! There are very few shows left that keep me watching NBC, which shall remain nameless, since you keep cancelling the good ones!

Comment by Ren – May 10, 2013 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOO!!!!! I really liked “Go On” – it grew into a wonderfully quirky ensemble comedy. Boo to you, NBC!

Comment by Ashley – May 10, 2013 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was the only show I watched on NBC in years!!!

Comment by Amanda – May 10, 2013 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I gave up when they moved it. It competed with other things on my DvR and just wasn’t that great half the time. Sometimes it was good, but I think the pacing and some of the charcters were just fail.

Comment by Danielle H. – May 10, 2013 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so pissed , it was by far my favorite comedy of the week, it’s so lame, NBC seriously ??? I can’t believe I won’t see Yolanda and Mr K and Anne

Comment by Billy – May 10, 2013 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously the whole group was just so funny to watch, it was hilarious

Comment by Billy – May 10, 2013 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does NBC stand for No Brains Channel or No Balls Channel? Go On was fresh & humorous with well written scripts. Guess what NBC? Target audience you’re probably looking for (males 18-39) wasn’t watching this but there’re others who really enjoyed this program! Thank God for the other available channels because you guys offer up nothing else worth tuning in to see.

Comment by Kavagirl – May 10, 2013 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks NBC, I’ll be in a corner crying for the rest of my life.

Comment by richachoubey – May 10, 2013 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooooooooooo…. whyyyyyyyyy??????

Comment by Catherine – May 10, 2013 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is ridiculous. So many people like this show. You will never get a chance to build a TV show audience if you keep switching the days around, never advertise it, and ultimately ax it when it gets good. FAIL NBC. There is nothing to watch on your network.

Comment by Marie – May 10, 2013 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I already left a comment, but all this TV news today is killing me! And every year, every time I hear of a cancellation, I will FOREVER wonder, just WHO these people are with those boxes!!! I want one! What in the world are they watching!?

And I’m looking at what’s on right now, in the 8pm hour, they’re ALL reality shows!!! I know people say “Friday is the worst night to have a show on” I personally think it’s the best day! Don’t have to work the next day! (I’m not currently working, but when I did, I could never stay up to watch anything EXCEPT on Friday lol)

Anyway, I forgot my point. But I will never, ever understand “ratings.” I still believe it will never be an accurate picture unless every single person can be counted. Right?? That makes sense…. or am I just totally crazy..? And this is totally long lol, just 15 minutes until the last episode of “Touch”!! Grrr.

Comment by scg10 – May 10, 2013 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am truly sad that this show was cancelled. It was a favorite of my whole family. One less NBC show to watch.

Comment by TrulyRoxie – May 10, 2013 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amen

Comment by jj – May 10, 2013 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SERIOUSLY??????????? This was a good show! It was funny! What the hell is wrong with NBC? That show last year about the call center in India was pretty funny too and they cancelled it. Go On was good! NBC what are you doing?!? I’m also upset about Up All Night but I don’t know if all the changes that were supposed to happen were the fault of NBC or the show’s producers..That and Go On were two of my favorite comedies this year. Not happy. I hope there’s going to be a write in campaign to get Go On back on the air.

Comment by Mary – May 10, 2013 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAT?!?!? Are you serious?? This has to be one of the funniest shows on TV. Stupid people at NBC lately!

Comment by Mommy Tyler Moore – May 10, 2013 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC learn from your history. Cheers worst rated program when it started, yet you gave it a chance and it grew in ratings to become one of the best shows. Go On had potential to grow, but you blew it.

Comment by Julio – May 10, 2013 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that NBC is trying to get back the fanbase they used to have with “Must See TV” that started in the 80′s with the Cosby Show, Cheers, then in the 90′s with Seinfeld, Mad About You, Friends, and the 2000′s with Will and Grace. Other shows came and went, these stayed for a pretty long time (maybe not Mad about You but I freaking LOVED that show). What they fail to realize is that they are competing with more scripted shows on network tv (Fox became a major player in the 90′s, the CW had some popular series in the late 90′s and early 2000′s and I guess even now although I don’t watch them myself). And cable channels now have scripted TV on too, that are competing with these shows. I want to know if they still only use Neilsen ratings to see who is watching what. Can’t they get data from those that have satellite TV? (Not sure if they can – privacy issues). I mean I don’t know ANYONE that has a Neilsen box. I also don’t know ANYONE that watches NCIS or NCIS:LA or other CBS shows and yet those are consistently doing amazing in ratings. Maybe they need to change who has a Neilsen box?? Back to NBC, did every single show become a hit their first season? I know Friends did but the others? Or were they doing “OK” but not spectacular? It’s as though NBC won’t renew a show unless it’s doing absolutely brilliant. Sorry, I’m babbling and tired. I guess NBC just doesn’t care anymore. So go on NBC, put The Voice on every freaking night. We know you want to….

Comment by Mary – May 10, 2013 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh no.. matthew perry just cant catch a break. bummer :((

Comment by lila – May 10, 2013 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WTF NBC?!!! are you SERIOUS right now?!!
    **sigh** add it to the list… =(
    [Perfect Couples, Best Friends Forever, and now, Go On]

Comment by cjeffery7 – May 10, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 4 pages of negative reactions to this show getting cancelled… smooth move NBC.

Comment by cjeffery7 – May 10, 2013 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Show was super funny, sure gonna miss it. Get rid of the new normal.

Comment by Lori – May 10, 2013 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC you guys are a joke… You keep shows like Smash or Grim (both an hour long) that are bleeding money and ratings and you cut GoOn… GoOn was one of the few shows NBC had going for them. It was hilarious, the characters were interesting and connectable, and it was only a 30 MIN EPISODE!! Well I guess when I want to watch good entertaining shows AMC and FOX is where I will be looking… NBC enjoy the dirt in your face as other stations pass you by….

Comment by Craig S. – May 10, 2013 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I got bored with the show pretty quickly and stopped watching it, but it wasn’t bad and it definitely deserved a second season. Seems like Matthew Perry can’t keep a show on TV.
    NBC’s left with about 8 shows, and it can’t seem to produce good ones, that will keep the viewers intrested. At least it means shows like Community or Parks and Rec, with lots of fans, but little viewers, have a bigger shot at surviving (considering there’s no one else left).

Comment by Sandra – May 10, 2013 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matthew perry deserves a better show and please let it be a multi cam which perry excels at

Comment by Jake – May 10, 2013 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t believe they cancelled this show. It was funnier then most of the other crap out there. Oh well, can always count on NBC to disappoint.

Comment by Mori – May 10, 2013 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was the only NBC show I made sure I watched. I’m upset. It was a gem of a show. But I shouldn’t be too surprised because NBC has a history of cancelling great shows – emulating Fox in that regard. Just more poor decision making.

Comment by mystlib – May 10, 2013 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so sad. Go On is so funny!

Comment by Brianne – May 10, 2013 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously? I thought Matthew Perry really nailed it with this one. Great cast. Awesome premise. Just funny every time. So disappointed.

Comment by Mandy – May 10, 2013 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go On & Whittney were two of my favorite shows .. N.B.C. has lost me as a viewer .. Not going to waste my time , getting invested in another show . Just to watch them cancell it …….

Comment by Houston Bagwell – May 10, 2013 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m just done with network TV as the core of my viewing. I’m not watching any new shows next fall. After next may, I may choose to go back and watch some that get a S2 renewal, but NBC, you don’t get my eyes on advertising this year. You cancelled too much that I liked over this last TV season, and I am in the coveted demo.

Comment by Drizz – May 10, 2013 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Darn shame. This feels like a show that could join USA with Happy Endings and one or two other shows and make a decent night block. Sort of the way they used to do USA.M. back in the late 90′s with recently canceled NBC shows that shouldn’t have been canceled.

Comment by Ethan – May 10, 2013 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC (NOTHING BUT CRAP) HAS DONE IT AGAIN. HARRY’S LAW, SMASH, GO ON, NEW NORMAL, STUDIO 60, THE SING OFF…..ALL GREAT SHOWS IMO, BUT NOT IN THE EYES OF THE MORONS WEARING SUITS AT 1 ROCKAFELLER PLAZA. I AM DONE WITH THIS FRICKEN NETWORK. THEY WOULD RATHER WE WATCH CRAP THEN WORRY ABOUT THEIR PRECIOUS RATINGS. WITH ALL THE DISTRACTIONS THAT INTERFER WITH PEOPLE NOW A DAYS (CELL PHONES, I PADS/PODS, NETFLIX, RENTAL STORES, AND THE LIKE) THEY SHOULD BE HAPPY THAT ANYONE WATCHES ANY OF THEIR SHOWS AT ALL. NO WONDER THEIR IN LAST PLACE. JAY LENO HAS THESE GUYS PEGGED TO A TEE……IDIOTS.

Comment by Alan Newbery – May 10, 2013 10:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe this! I LOVED GO ON! I am so disappointed. What a terrible decision NBC!

Comment by Aman – May 10, 2013 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They are obviously brain dead

Comment by Snice – May 10, 2013 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post