Syfy Renews Defiance for Season 2

Syfy Renews Defiance Seaosn 2This news should fill Defiance fans with much deto: Syfy has renewed the series for Season 2.

Production on the new 13-episode cycle will begin in August in Toronto, with an eye on a 2014 premiere.

RELATED | Eureka Sheriff Moves to Syfy’s Haven — Plus: Season 4 Time Jump Scoop

“Bringing the rich world of Defiance to life has been an incredible team effort. We couldn’t ask for better partners than [showrunner] Kevin Murphy, his amazing cast and crew, and Trion Worlds,” Syfy boss Mark Stern said in a statement. “We can’t wait to see where they take us in the second season.”

RELATED | Syfy Renews Being Human for Season 4

The audience for Defiance‘s April 15 premiere was the second largest in Syfy history in the coveted 18-49 demo, while the companion videogame has amassed more than 1 million registered accounts after launching on three platforms simultaneously.

Want scoop on Defiance, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. wordsmith says:

Thrilled to hear. The show isn’t perfect yet, but it has so much promise.

• M3rc Nate says:

I completely agree. Deff not perfect yet, but i enjoy it a ton and it does have a lot of potential. I just hope with SyFy’s cancelling record, this show doesnt get the ax without them going out on their own terms. Considering the over-head cost of CGI-Makeup-The Video game….i hope they were realistic in their hopes rating’s wise and are happy with the viewership they get.

2. John says:

Excellent news!

I hate getting interested in a show that get’s dropped prematurely.

3. Garrett says:

T minus 3.5 seasons until cancelation by SyFy’s logic.

• wordsmith says:

Based on what? BSG, which deliberately chose to end when it did? Eureka ran five seasons, Stargate ran ten and many Syfy series don’t make it past two. I don’t think they really have a pattern.

• cjeffery7 says:

Being Human is going strong after 3.

• Sg. Grant says:

Based on Alphas.

• Rangefinder says:

@Sg. Grant – Yes, Syfy cancels low-rated shows JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER NETWORK. Grow up.

• Sg. Grant says:

Realy? Telling me to grow up? Wow. You are obviously the one that needs some help. My comment was simply answering wordsmith’s question about what Garrett was basing his comment on.

I really enjoy Defiance. What I don’t enjoy are idiots like you ruining these forums. Go back to whatever hole you came out of.

• Ty says:

Those grown-ups are who cancelled firefly on Fox….

RRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I will NEVER, EVER get in bed with them, quality first, audience later, save us all netflix.

• Carbon24K says:

No, SYFY has a habit of canceling a quality show before it has time to get its legs. What’s drives me crazy is that they do it in favor of some monster bug movie or monster animal that runs through town on some b rated scripting. Stop the mutated bug movies and keep the quality shows, like Stargate Atlantis – For Example – that show still had places to go -

• jamothebest says:

Actually stargate ran 20 seasons

• Simon Jester says:

There’s always some idiot who can find a cloud in every silver lining.

4. Brooke says:

Nice! I haven’t started it yet, but it’s been sitting on my Tivo waiting patiently. Nice to know that I can enjoy it with the promise of more to come.

5. mia says:

Im kinda shocked actually. I’m enjoying it – but SyFy kills their shows early, so I was expecting this to get cancelled. But they’ll probably keep it around for at least 4 seasons.

6. Bella says:

I’ve just gotten caught up on the show and I’m liking it a lot. I’m very happy at this news. But yes, given SyFy’s record, I’m concerned about premature cancellation. But hopefully when they make that decision, they’ll give enough lead time that they can give the show a proper send-off.

7. cjeffery7 says:

gutsy call, seems like an expensive show, and they’ve only aired, what, 5 episodes? whatever, i’m still along for the ride!

8. Tony says:

It’s gotten better by the episode. I’m really excited for this. Hope it paves the way for a new space opera or two also.

9. andy c says:

Lets remember they canned Destiny when it started to really gear up… I’d hate to see that happen again. But stay away from the game. Its a half-baked, underdeveloped game that felt like it was released months prior to completion. I didn’t exactly have high hopes but since launch I’ve barely been able to play 15 hours. There really isn’t anything fun about it.

10. Sg. Grant says:

Syfy also cancelled Alphas on a huge cliffhanger, so let’s just assume there will be a big cliffhanger at the end of Defiance season 2 and then it will be cancelled.

11. Nik says:

Oh fantastic! This AND Haven season 4? Awesome!

12. JC says:

I’m worried about a Warehouse 13 renewal. I hope we hear about that soon.

13. eric says:

I miss Mystery Science Theater 3000

14. SMS says:

I totally enjoy this show, but it needs a longer run to develop all these wonderful characters.. Look forward to more. Bring it on and for more episodes…in a season. I get frustrated with these shortened seasons and sometime lose interest.

15. S>MACK says:

If you like the show buy the game at least then they can get an idea of the real fan base, some stream or download so they don’t get a true picture at least they can see if the game is bought hell even if you never play it like me or just set up an account should let them know if you like a show

16. Ang says:

well I hope they don’t cancel it I just started watching it. i am also seriously addicted to lost girl, if they cancel that I’m all done with the syfy channel

17. Jaime Rivera says:

This show is so disappointing. This show is like a SYFY SOAP OPRA, not what I expected from a show that has invested so much. Everyone that has predicted that this show will last to season 3 is wrong. The promotions and video game will have passed and not have a leg to stand on. They are going to have action and bring it back on how this all to what we call an invasion. REMEMBER THIS COMMENT, I can’t be far from the truth. Just Sayn!

18. Rumpelstilskin says:

This show sucks, hope it gets cancelled.

19. FernsForest says:

Don’t understand why they aren’t coming back for a whole year, the next Season begins June 2014… I love the show, but even I’m not waiting around a year… even True Blood fans lost interest having to wait over 6 months until another season

20. I hate it when…you get interested in a show and then it takes a bloody year for the next season to start! Then when it does start, your lucky to get a half a dozen episodes and the season is over again!!!! What’s up with that??? I gotta say I loose interest.

21. jacques says:

Anyone remembers what syfi did to stargate universe? They put alot of good vibrant actors out of business and a million fans wanting more with a cliffhanger ending? No other network seems interested, but take a poll and find out how that show’s cancellation made people like me distrust syfi and their horrible habit of cancelling fan based shows midway.