CBS Cancels CSI: NY, Rules of Engagement, Vegas and Golden Boy

CBS Cancelled ShowsCBS is no longer in a CSI: NY state of mind. And it’s leaving Vegas.

Sources confirm that the Eye Network has cancelled both shows.

Also put out to pasture: Longtime utility player Rules of Engagement and rookie cop drama Golden Boy.

RELATED | CBS Picks Up 6 Series for Fall, Including Projects Starring Sarah Michelle Gellar, Will Arnett and Josh Holloway

The decision to ax CSI: NY, which was widely expected, leaves just one CSI show — the still-kicking mothership — on CBS’ air. The fate of freshman drama Vegas, meanwhile, was essentially sealed when CBS demoted it to Friday night.

Rules of Engagement will conclude its miraculous seven-year, 100-episode run on Monday, May 20.

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated.

You know the drill. Eulogies now being accepted in the comments section below.

1. Wrstlgirl says:

Golden Boy and Vegas, dam! I was hoping one of them would be saved.

2. Jeff says:

I won’t waste my time on any of their new shows, just so if I start to like it they will just cancel it. The empty suits have no clue what they are doing, I am so done with network TV!!

3. Missy Kelly says:

I knew it was going to be cancelled the minute I put it in my series record on my DVR. Dag nabbit – great show -

4. sladewilson says:

The only one I’m upset about is Golden Boy. It was more of a Friday night CBS show like Blue Bloods. It didn’t fit behind the N.C.I.S. shows. The premise was cool. I wish they had one more season – just to find out what happened to all the cast in the future…

5. kirads09 says:

Most sad about Vegas. Loved it and it has been really good.
    I also loved CSI NY but at least it had a good run.

6. Jennifer says:

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! I really liked Vegas!!! Damn you CBS!!!

7. kim says:

Thanks CSI NY for 9 wonderful seasons.

8. GinnyB says:

Seriously ticked they canned Vegas. Who are the idiots who run this network?

9. dude says:

the only one i am saddened by is rules of engagement i hope they thought ahead and this will fit as series finale

10. Trresa says:

Golden Boy is a fantastic show I hate when they get us all hyped up and then they cancel. You didn’t give it a chance now we’ll never know how he becomes the commissioner why he has a limp and what happened to his partner and the rest of the squad. This sucks ass

11. jessie1944 says:

I am going to miss Golden Boy. Really was enjoying it.

12. Jo says:

Omg. I can’t believe Rules has been canceled. Suck GARBAGE. It was a great show. No love CBS and NBC. They both suck hard today!!!! Even Nikita crap shack got picked up

13. xander says:

I’m absolutely sick that CBS has cancelled both Golden Boy & Vegas!
    Sad day.

14. Rob says:

They screwed over CSI: NY by putting it on Friday Nights… still doesn’t make sense cuz regular CSI sucks (other than Becker, lol)… Vegas was a great show as well… should have never been taken off of Tuesdays… If CBS was smart (which has yet to be proven to me), they would put NCIS: Red on Tuesdays at 10 and make Tuesdays the NCIS night… 2 Broke Girls should be cancelled and keep “Rules”! Another new comedy will come in on Mondays now… every day except Fridays and Wednesdays is solid… Blue Bloods can hold Fridays probably and Criminal Minds can hold Wednesdays for the most part… they should try another CSI spin-off (LA or Boston)!

• Kevin says:

If CBS were smart they would air NCIS: Red on Febturday. I love the other NCIS’, but that one…not so much.

15. Lisa says:

I can’t believe CBS axed CSI:NY. Granted it wasn’t doing extremely well but I heard that for a Friday night time slot it was steady. I’m really going to miss the awesome cast and characters.

16. Sarah says:

I’ll admit I haven’t watched CSI NY the past few seasons (Friday nights aren’t a big TV night in my house), but I have the rest of the DVDs and have always considered it my favourite CSI. Love the cast! I’m looking forward to watching the episodes I haven’t seen, but sad to know those are the end. I hate when long-running shows are cancelled without the dignity of a real true “final season.” Sad sad sad

17. kate says:

ugh. I liked Golden Boy a lot. lame.

18. Mallory says:

I love CSI NY!! I love this show but it was worse when the stuck it on Friday Nights. I wished that didn’t happen. I loved seeing this show. Now what will I do without my favorite show. This show was the reason I started watching CBS primetime to begin with. Well now, I won’t be watching CBS primetime for a very long time.

19. Dena says:

I honestly wish another network picks up Vegas to give it another shot. It’s a great show with the finest acting. Who gives a chit about Undercover Boss? I’m so sick of all these reality shows, what happened to fantastic shows with quality acting? I’m so pissed right now

20. mia says:

Can’t believe they cancelled on Dennis Quaid. He was the EP and *still* they cancel. Siiigh loved Vegas a lot.
    But damn are Jason O’Mara and Sarah Jones cursed.

• prish says:

I love Jason O’Mara, too. I look on the bright side, being I got to see him in three enjoyable shows that would not have been the same without him. Life on Mars and Terra Nova were manna to the scifi (star trek) starving.

• mia says:

Definitely agree with you on O’Mara, he’s great. Love Life on Mars and Terra Nova and I’ll probably watch whichever project he ends on next (which will probably get cancelled too lol)

21. Kris says:

At least bring CSI Miami back that was more popular than New York! New York should have been cancelled when Miami did, so just bring Miami back!

22. Kris says:

Also Golden Boy, its such a unique cop show not like the rest, i wanna see Clarks rise to be the youngest police commissioner get it renewed for the fans!!

23. arial2 says:

There’s a certain irony to CSI:NY’s cancellation while an NBC show with much lower ratings (Chicago Fire) is getting a spinoff. I guess one has much lower expectations for NBC shows? The upside: can’t wait to see where the wonderful Sela Ward shows up next; I’ll be there. Also, now Gary Sinise can make more great movies.

24. Didi says:

sad to see CSI NY go, I loved the show, lets hope CBS doesn’t replace it with some crappy reality show.

25. Helen says:

It’s sad, but at least CSI-NY fans were somewhat prepared and have a sense of closure after the finale. I am proud to say that I have never watched anything on CBS since they cancelled Without a Trace in 2009.

26. Judy Tankoos says:

I never did watch Vegas, so no loss, as far as I’m concerned, but I understand that it was liked by a lot of people. Its death knell was the move to Friday, I think. I will miss CSI NY, though – I left it for a couple of seasons, but these last couple have been better. I liked it better than the original CSI – I liked the chemistry between all the characters. Las Vegas just doesn’t hv that easy camaraderie and the humor. Looks like Rules of Engagement will go out with the birth of the baby, FINALLY! How long has she been pregnant, anyway? A year? While I love Patrick Warburton and Jeff and Audrey’s relationship, in my opinion, David Spade’s character was nothing but a dirty old man who rarely made me laugh, and Adam and Jen just didn’t add anything at all to the show. And don’t even get me STARTED on that cat lady. Ugh! Timmy was SO much fun. With a better supporting cast, it cd hv gone along on its own for quite some time, rather than just being a last-minute mid-season replacement. I will miss Gilden Boy. I’m afraid that the new shows that CBS picked up hold very little, if any, interest for me. But I’m glad they didn’t pick up that awful NCIS Red!

27. prish says:

So sad about Vegas. It was quality. It was fun. Quaid and Chiklis, thank you for some classy producing and acting. Thank you for all the wonderful actors you hired, giving us wonderful viewing moments.

28. Sandy says:

I really enjoyed CSI:NY, Vegas and Golden Boy! I never watch CBS’ trashy comedy or reality shows. Goodbye CBS, back to Cable where good stories, actors and fans are appreciated!

29. Janice Nantz says:

Vegas and CSI: NY were two of my favorite shows. I’m very sad they have been cancelled.

30. JT says:

Sucks about Vegas.

31. Naughty says:

They are wrong for taking CSI NY off the air. I think it’s the best one cause some of the story are real.

32. Broadwayfan says:

I’m very sad, but not surprised, by CBS cancelling CSI:NY. They’ve been doing their best to kill it for the past three seasons.
    It’s a shame that it’s going so the network can try NEW dramas that won’t last a season.
    I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how that old CSI stays on. Maybe because it didn’t get moved to a garbage time slot on Friday night.
    CSI:NY is quality, Gary Sinise, Sela Ward, and the cast are a great loss.
    I’ll probably never see Gary starring in a TV show again, he took this role for a reason.
    All these cancellations on all these networks, I’m going to get more of my money’s worth out of NETFLIX, I’ll tell ya’.
    I won’t be watching CSI anymore…except for my seasons of CSI:NY on DVD. It’s the only one worth watching.
    I still enjoy Horatio and the gang on cable reruns…So NY won’t really be gone either. It will be out there for us.
    If USA is cancelling BURN NOTICE, please…PLEASE say that idiotic PSYCH is going! What a waste of air time!

33. Nancy says:

CBS S*CKS FOR CANCELING “CSI:N.Y. IT WAS ONE OF THE BEST SHOWS ON TV!

34. Ethan says:

I refuse to watch any shows, especially late season replacements until I know. I started on Golden Boy and really enjoyed it but once I saw it was in danger I quit. Rules was butchered a few seasons ago when they made Spade the emphasis of the show. Adam and Jen became at best an afterthought for 2 or 3 seasons and they made Adam a complete moron. It was still a very funny show, but not like what they had that first seasons or two. So many shows get no chance because they order 15 freaking pilots and they have to find space. Miss the old days, shows stayed around, they didn’t tweak because they knew tweaking lost your audience, and they gave the show time. Married With Children is one of the greatest shows ever and if it aired today they would cancel it after 5 episodes the way it began. It really didn’t take off until that woman wrote letters complaining about the episode where Al buys Peggy the bra, that was like season 2 or 3. But FOX was new, didn’t expect too much from their shows and needed something to fill the time. And they allowed shows to blossom. Now it’s the same as society, they want immediate results or you’re gone. Quality has gone to crap and they wonder why people are walking away. When they truly offer something to watch people flock to it, even live, when you offer crap people don’t feel the need to watch. We used to have Must See TV, TGIF, you felt like you had to watch, you couldn’t wait to watch and see what was going to happen. Now it’s all reality garbage and rehashed dramas. One show becomes a hit and each station makes 2 or 3 of the same plot to ride the same premise to “victory” but people just get tired of it. Sucks.

35. Bellaz says:

Disappointed to hear about CSI:NY (my favourite of CSI frahnchises) and Rules of Engagement.

36. M Jones says:

I’m very sad to see this show go. Sela Ward was a wonderful addition to the cast and I wish that she and Mac had hooked up, but alas they did not. I cannot believe it is cancelled and Two and a Half Idiots/Men is still allowed on. I stopped watching when Jon Cryer allowed his character to become a pathetic, bumbling arse… Oh well, there’s still my CRAIGY FERG to make my day…

37. Lina says:

Not csi ny???????? Crying. Ass whipes.

38. Cuddy's lawyer says:

Sad news! CSI:NY was one of my absolute favourite!

39. Pamela says:

Wow, does CBS ever give anything (worth watching) a chance anymore?
    They promo’d the hell out of both Vegas and Golden Boy and then after they gave their new shows all of 2 weeks to become one of the top 10 shows, they decide to play roulette and moved both of them in the schedule a couple of times. The last few years they have done this countless times – expecting different (instant) results but the results are always the same, and you know what they say about that – insanity.
    Both Vegas and Golden Boy had excellent casts, interesting storylines, and I believe showed a lot of promise. They were both definitely better than the current crap that’s broadcast night after night.
    Give your shows a chance, try keeping them in the same time slot for more than 2 weeks and maybe with consistency new shows will have a chance to acquire a following that will tune in week after week (at the same time/same day of the week) allowing the viewers to actually enjoy the show, the characters, the storylines.
    If networks don’t change their crank-rank and yank methods people will never start watching any new shows. Why should they invest time in a show that isn’t going to be around at the end of the season? I’m just saying…

40. Billy W says:

CBS is starting to turn into NBC!!! NBC used to be my favorite network but then they started to cancel all of my favorite shows so I switched over to CBS!!! And CBS became my new favorite network with all there Great Shows and now they are cutting those good shows.. Why must they do this?? I’m not dumb I understand the ratings thing but seriously what they’ve done to Rules of Engagement is beyond Ridiculousness.. They’ve moved it around so much that its not even Funny and then now they are gonna cancel it!!! This is just so awful, it just gets so sad. You like a show, you get into it and then Boom it gets cancelled.. Why bother to watch television anymore?? I think I’m just gonna start reading more. And CSI:NY was yet another Great show being cancelled bc of what Poor Ratings.. I give up on TV!!! I felt as though I had learned things from this show and now it’s over and I never got into the Original..

41. Justine says:

Explain to me please why we have to lose a quality show like Vegas and yet complete rubbish like Unforgettable gets a second (albeit shorter) season pick-up? C’mon CBS. Why, huh?

42. mistycatz says:

Are they at least going to wrap up the story lines , unlike leaving everything hanging CSI MIAMI?????

43. jwilliams says:

Just when I was really beginning to get into Vegas they cancelled it. I hope they do not put more so called comedies on the air.

44. jwilliams says:

They way they cancel things because of slow start only forces you to forget the networks and start going to more and more Netflix and cable channels.

45. Mike says:

Oh wow, they cancelled Rules of Engagement. Every year 10, 11 million viewers but FIRST let’s put on that new HIT COMEDY ™. Fill in show here_________. We cancel it after 6 episodes, put on Rules, BOOM, big ratings. Same sort of thing with Unforgettable. 12,13 million viewers. CBS “It just wasn’t BIG enough”. Let’s put on Vegas. Big numbers too but we’re moving it to Fridays so we can put on a NEW BIG HIT Golden Boy. Oh look, they cancel BOTH of them. I’ve said it many times and I’ll say it again. People who work for TV networks NEVER watch television. (I did consulting @ NBC in NYC in the 70s writing ratings analysis programs. They never watched TV) And is Chi MCBride, Jason O’Mara TV show kryptonite or what? Same goes for Mark Valley (Body of Proof, Harry’s Law). Put them on and you KNOW your show’s gonna tank

46. Julia says:

I am absolutely gutted that all the CSI have now been cancelled. Miami and NY were my favs, I’m chewing off my fingernails awaiting news of Body of Proof. My autumn line up is now non existent. :(

• Julia says:

I’m in the UK so I look forward top Sept onwards when all the new seasons start. :(

• Mike says:

Really? You look forward to the loads of crap the American networks put on? As for me I wish to god they’d bring back Coupling (The great BRITISH one, not the crap American one). It’s amazing how in episode one they did a word for word copy of the British episode one and it was a total piece of crap. Must’ve been because of Rena Sofer, another TV show kryptonite actor. Hey M Ausiello. How about starting a blog of TV kryptonite actors?

• Huskygrl says:

You know, when he was first cast on ER, everyone said the same thing about George Clooney. We know how that turned out… No one is poison EXCEPT the IDiots in charge of the Networks – they apparently have a vendetta against network tv.

47. carol says:

why dont they cancel those stupid shows like undercover boss and all those supposed reality shows

• Mike says:

They’re going to keep Big Brother on as long as morons keep applying for the job -or- if Moonves divorces Julie Chen. She needs to keep busy when she’s not kissing someones ass
      on “The Talk”. BTW Sara Gilbert, what a GREAT idea you had for a TV show. A bunch of woman sitting around talking. Oh wait….Barbara Walters beat you to it 14 years ago. Going on a talk show as a cast member is your idea of when you think your career is in the tank

48. mike says:

I really started getting into Golden Boy, it was a thinking mans type show. Interesting, I just hated it when i heard it was cancelled. It wasnt given a chance if you ask me.Vegas was the same thing ,really liked it.

49. Scotty Raper says:

Golden Boy is a Great show. Needs to be saved. Better than Blue Bloods.

• Mike says:

My wife loves that show because she’s known ALOT of NYPD guys. I don’t like it. Tom Selleck now acts based upon the grimace he makes with his mustache and Donnie Wahlberg..eh…his acting method is being pissed off all the time….

50. Jori says:

Is CBS stupid or what, I guess I will try to tune into another station now. I enjoyed watching all of those show’s. It is sad to see CSI,NY go, I will miss all of those guys. I was really enjoying Vegas also and will miss that crew also. :(