School's Not Out: NBC Renews Community

Get More: Renewals

Community Renewed Six seasons and a movie? Not so far-fetched after all!

NBC has renewed death-defying cult fave Community for a fifth season, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | NBC Cleans House, Cancels 5 Shows

No exact word on episode count, but 13 is the number being bandied about (that would put it within striking distance of syndication-friendly 100.)

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated.

Tags: ,

Comments (145)

• I’m sure that season 5 will once again be nothing but a bunch of random & stupid poop/doody jokes from cast and crew. Thank you NBC for proving that monkeys run your network

Comment by Pie Fighter – May 10, 2013 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Poop/doody jokes? Clearly you’ve never watched Community. Perhaps you’re thinking of those Chuck Lorre shows?

Comment by EatMorePez – May 10, 2013 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What show are you watching? They don’t really do poop jokes.

Comment by MrsEA – May 13, 2013 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy! #LongLiveCommunity

Comment by anik – May 10, 2013 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this show does not get a sixth season now, I think the Internet will explode.

Comment by Zorkel567 – May 10, 2013 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha this is exactly what I was thinking! To get this close but not make it would torture all of us Human Beings.

Comment by Eric – May 10, 2013 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tell me is that okay that i don’t like Community? I know a lot of people who love it. I like the referenses, but i dislike the characters.
    On the other hand The Office US is not standart comedy either, but i absolutely in love with it.

Comment by Maxim Knyazev – May 10, 2013 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s absolutely fine! Everyone has different tastes, and looks for different types of humour.I’ve never been a fan of The Office (either of them), but I get why people love it, because it’s very good at what it does. Ditto 30 Rock. It’s just not for me (much the same, I get the jokes but really don’t like any of the characters).

Community, I’ve always felt, is made for me and people like me. I empathise with most of the characters regularly, and the jokes are the geeky, slightly unhinged kind that really work for me. But it’s very definitely not for everyone. And that’s okay.

Comment by James – May 10, 2013 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is fantastic news. Season five!! Two years ago, I would’ve thought this was an impossibility! I’ve been watching this series since I was 14, and now the Greendale Seven — er, Six — will follow me to university! Thank you, NBC. I may just be able to overlook you canceling The New Normal.

Comment by Eric – May 10, 2013 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only good thing about Go On being canceled is that it helped save Community!!! YAY! #sixseasonsandamovie

Comment by Jenny – May 10, 2013 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best news of the day.
    As inconsistent as this season has been as a whole, it was still full of many great moments. With the show not really about community college at all, there is no dearth of direction where season 5 can go.
    #sixseasonandamovie

Comment by Quinn Mallory – May 10, 2013 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 6 seasons and a movie… Hell yeah!!!!!!

Comment by Dex P – May 10, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Congrats Community!

Comment by Damien Roberts (@dam744) – May 10, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Although quality has gone down on Community this season, it still has a lot of potential. Looking forward to the new season. And now for the obligatory hashtag…#sixseasonsandamovie

Comment by Catherine – May 10, 2013 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This truly is the best timeline

Comment by Kay – May 10, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pop Pop!

Comment by Doane06 – May 10, 2013 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im very happy about this :D but i hope they take the time to really really make this season great. Writers/showrunner(s)…re-watch the other seasons that Dan did and really capture the humor and heart of the show. Turn around all these “this season sucked, sucks Dan left…” opinions and make them fall in love with Community again.

Comment by M3rc Nate – May 10, 2013 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto to all of this.

Comment by MrsEA – May 13, 2013 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I almost want to cry I’m so happy… this almost makes up for cancelling Go On… Almost…

Comment by Babybop – May 10, 2013 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Un-be-DEAN-able! I hope its smoother next year & so happy we get more! I just wish NBC could/would rock comedy like they did when I was growing up. Cheers, Cosby, Golden Girls, Seinfeld, Frasier, Night Court, Family Ties, etc. I will forever be loyal to NBC, but give me reasons to, guys!

E Pluribus Anus!

Comment by janeen – May 10, 2013 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know. Season 4 wasn’t good at all so I hope they listen to feedback and improve. But my first reaction was oh no I don’t want to watch my once favorite show get worse. Keeping things crossed.

Comment by Sara – May 10, 2013 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

This makes up for the southland cancellation.

AWESOME

Comment by Brett – May 10, 2013 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have zero expectations that Community S5 will be anywhere near as good as S1-3 were, but the fact that I love all these actors so much makes me glad I’ll still get to see them all in one place instead of scattered around on a bunch of different shows. Even if the writing is terrible now and the soul of the show left when Dan Harmon did, I love watching them work together.

Comment by Paul Cox – May 10, 2013 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Against all odds!!!!
    Now let the battle for season 6 (and of course the movie) begin!!!!! #sixseasonsandamovie

Comment by Janice – May 11, 2013 02:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • REALLY? OMG. I am SO happy right now, so, SO happy. I have never been more happy to be wrong about a show in my life.

Comment by Ben – May 11, 2013 02:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news to start my day

Comment by Mia (@Mia_D666) – May 11, 2013 03:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #season5isalive

Comment by comedy4cast – May 11, 2013 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We aren’t living in the Darkest Timeline!

Comment by Ck – May 11, 2013 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am happy Community got picked up; but I would have been okay if it had ended as it did. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. I wonder if they are holding it until January.

Comment by Mel – May 11, 2013 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best Way to Fix Season Four: Bring Back Dan.

Comment by Allison – May 11, 2013 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Community! I don’t enjoy it near as much as I used to but it’s still a fun show.

Comment by Fan – May 11, 2013 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy that the show got another chance (even though I feel that the renewal was partly motivated by NBC feeling like they had to renew something and at least they can give Community enough episodes to get syndicated, henceforth more money for the network, rather than faith in the show) but I agree with the commenters who said that this season was weak. There were some great moments – when Jeff was telling his Dad that he (Jeff) was broken I cried because that hit home for me – but it was inconsistent and I don’t want the show to become a parody of itself. I also agree that the plan was to have Jeff become a teacher at Greendale because why else would they mention his degree in education.

Comment by Lucy – May 11, 2013 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Old Community(Seasons 1-3) was a fantastic show. This season was ok. There was some really bad, but I really thought a couple of episodes did Old Community proud. I thought the puppet episode was great, personally. I’m happy it’s renewed, maybe it’ll be smoother next season, now that they’ve had time to deal with all the transition. I do think that Go On being cancelled is an absolute travesty, however. Best new comedy NBC had in ages.

Comment by Johnny – May 11, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And people say there is no God. smh

Comment by JB Smooove – May 11, 2013 10:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s Changtastic!

Comment by Zanth – May 12, 2013 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAYYYYYYYY!!!!!

Comment by Ella – May 12, 2013 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like community though all the ups and downs
    Glad to hear that
    thx

Comment by lara – May 14, 2013 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community was the very first show I really, really liked. And now that season 5 its on its way, i would have to say,,,
    SIX SEASONS AND A MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Lucas – May 19, 2013 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They HAVE to bring Dan Harmon back.
    They ruined Season 4, I can’t take it anymore.
    I need my #SixSeasonsAndAMovie

Comment by Emily – May 21, 2013 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For all those people wishing Dan Harmon was back – He is!!! Hopefully Community will be like the first three seasons with him back. The fourth was a little under standard but it still was okaaaaaay.

Comment by adil – June 3, 2013 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so happy i wee’d a little :))))

Comment by Phil – June 30, 2013 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We are a gaggle of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our
    community. Your web site provided us with valuable information to work on.
    You’ve performed a formidable task and our entire neighborhood can be grateful to you.

Comment by search engine optimisation – July 30, 2013 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post