ABC Cancels Body of Proof, 5 Others; Renewals Include Castle, Revenge, Suburgatory, Nashville

Get More: Cancellations, Renewals

ABC Renewed SeriesTaking a better-late-than-never approach, ABC has officially renewed nearly a dozen shows for the 2013-14 TV season, including rookie drama Nashville and established hits Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, Revenge, The Middle, Modern Family, Castle (for, contrary to rumors, one and not two more seasons) and Once Upon a Time.

Sophomore bubble comedies Suburgatory and Last Man Standing also have been picked up, as has the freshman series The Neighbors.

RELATED | ABC Picks Up Marvel’s S.H.I.E.L.D., Rebel Wilson’s Super Fun Night and 9 Others for Fall

On the cancellation front, Malibu Country, Family Tools, Body of Proof, How to Live With Your Parents (for the Rest of Your Life), Red Widow and Happy Endings have been axed (full story on H.E.‘s demise here).

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated.

Comments (356)

• SWEET JESUS!!! Suburgatory got renewed!!! ***happy dance***

Comment by Alichat – May 10, 2013 11:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sooo happy once upon a time is being renewed!!!!! It is my favorite show..I couldn’t afford cable for awhile so downloaded the whole second season on my phone can’t wait till season end on sunday but when does it start back up again right after summer or what??

Comment by meagan – May 11, 2013 12:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You have to have cable to see Once Upon a Time? I’m not from the US so I don’t know, but I thought that is a network channel (ABC) and that you get that channel free on local TV? Just wondering.

Comment by Stepphie59 – May 11, 2013 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Did you think that someone who downloaded an entire season of TV to their phone would realize that with a $50 antenna they could watch it on TV? Unless they HAVE to have a DVR which I don’t get unless one works at night

Comment by Mike – May 11, 2013 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Not to mention that they could get the entire season on DVD from their public library for nothing!

Comment by lyn – May 11, 2013 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO glad that Castle, Nashville, and Modern Family are coming back. I love those shows. :D

Comment by Harmony – May 11, 2013 12:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Castle!!!!

Comment by KC – May 11, 2013 12:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All my shows have been renewed this year is particularly good, yay.

Comment by D. – May 11, 2013 01:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re lucky. You picked some really good ones then. Most of mine have been renewed, but then I watch a lot both on TV and the ones I can’t catch live I watch online. Body of Proof and Golden Boy are at the same time, for example, so I watch BoP and catch GB online. Sometimes I switch around, so it’s not like they’re not being watched. Now both are cancelled. :( Also, I watch Red Widow live and catch The Mentalist online, yet they’ve cancelled Red Widow. So disappointed. Well, at least so far I still have The Mentalist, and The Good Wife. Haven’t heard any negatives on those. Hope they’re renewed.

Comment by Stepphie59 – May 11, 2013 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I definitely agree that they should not have cancelled RED WIDOW. Love that show, it keeps me on the edge of my chair. Maybe it is because I am older and like trying to figure out what is going to happen next. I always watch the first preview of new shows to see if they are going to hold my interest and this one surely did. BUMMER

Comment by Linda – May 11, 2013 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Love the Red Widow. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Disappointedddddddddddd it is being taken off.

Comment by Jen – May 27, 2013 03:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tim Allen should not have a show!!!

Comment by DavidSask – May 11, 2013 02:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tim Allen is a really funny guy and I personally like his new show. I guess maybe you do not remember his show HOME IMPROVEMENT It was a great family show and so is this one. We need more of those shows and less of the cartoon type shows. We need real people and less cartoon characters on tv.

Comment by Linda – May 11, 2013 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Congrats ABC fans for all the shows renewed!!! So happy for Revenge, Modern Family, Grey’s Anatomy, Suburgatory. Also happy for Once but it needs to get better.

Comment by Gio86 – May 11, 2013 03:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Castle. No matter what happens Monday night castle/Beckett y Nathan and Stana will be back in September

Comment by K – May 11, 2013 05:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sad for Body of Proof. I love that show

Comment by LilAngel – May 11, 2013 05:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Now that Golden Boy is cancelled as well as BOP, I’m hoping Fox rethinks Human Target with Mark Valley, Chi McBride, and Jackie Earle Haley, but without that annoying Pucci woman.

Comment by lyn – May 11, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess we will see how commited ABC may be to quality when we see if Splash, Bachelor, Wife Swap and Taste will be on. The people who watch this junk are the reason we lose good shows

Comment by Boiler – May 11, 2013 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Let’s face it. They have maybe 6 REALLY goof shows. The rest are no better than modern day chariot races at the coliseum. Yeah those shows you mention are TOTAL CRAP. You left out bachellorette and that crap where people get belted on an obstacle course (forgot the name, see?)

Comment by Mike – May 11, 2013 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you. Wife swap, bet on your baby. What is up with our society. Lets get back to Family shows. Not junck

Comment by Linda – May 11, 2013 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So true, Boiler! The problem is that the IQ in the US has dropped to 100 and the networks are responding by airing garbage that appeals to the masses. Maybe we need a cable network for intelligent people where shows like Body of Proof, SMASH and Studio Sixty on the Sunset Strip can find a home!

Comment by Caro – May 11, 2013 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! FINALLY!…We know for sure~ Nashville survived!! We fans are happy! This show deserves better than a “rocky showing” this past season…maybe ABC will do better by it next season..So glad it’s coming back!! :)

Comment by Amy – May 11, 2013 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Body of Proof even though sometimes Dana Delaney annoys me. I have no problem with her clothes as some do. I like her outfits and her stilleto shoes. lol. Sorry for Mark Valley – out of work again after Hard Target. Also sorry for Chi McBride who was previously on Hard Target with Mark Valley. He’s now out of work again too as they cancelled Golden Boy, which I love. Why cancel Golden Boy? It’s really a very interesting show, and different from the usual crime show. Now we’ll never get to see what happens at the end of 7 years. I also watch Red Widow and that’s gone too. Deception was heading to be a close third to Scandal and Revenge for me, and I’m so disappointed it’s cancelled. Touch is gone too. A lot of my shows have been axed. What a day!

Comment by Stepphie59 – May 11, 2013 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s Human Target, but I agree with you.

Comment by lyn – May 11, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad about Happy Endings! So funny and a great cast! Will miss it!

Comment by Susan – May 11, 2013 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Red Widow. It season ender is a cliff hanger and no renewal? Thanks a lot.

Comment by cherie – May 11, 2013 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Congrats fans!

Very happy about Revenge, Modern F, Grey’s and Suburgatory.
    Once needs to improve but I am still watching.

Happy Endings will be picked up by the USA network for sure!

Comment by Gio86 – May 11, 2013 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very happy about Revenge & Castle. Really disappointed about Body of Proof. I love Dana Delaney & really thought it had gotten very good as the season went on. I hope we’ll at least find out if her father really did commit suicide.

Comment by Chloe – May 11, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Nashville—Boo for Body of Proof. Love The Middle and Modern Family–no surprises there. I hope they pick up The Neighbors–it was sweet!

Comment by Kim – May 11, 2013 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Red Widow never had a fair chance on a Sunday night. Very intriguing and well written show. Would have dobe better on a weeknight. Bummer.

Comment by rachellee611 – May 11, 2013 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it me or is Mark Valley becoming one of the signals that a show is about to be canceled? When he joins a show it hardly lasts one [more] season. Which is a shame because I like him as an actor.

Comment by David Santos – May 11, 2013 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh are you SO right on the mark, no pun. Thank GOD he didn’t kill Fringe. Maybe that’s why Anna Torv divorced him.

Comment by Mike – May 11, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad about Nashville. Connie Britton is great. I just wish she and Deacon would stop just screwing around and stay together. Her ex is just a pain in the neck, or is that the idea? Deacon should know about his daughter, but when he finds out, which he will, the relationship will explode. Glad about Scandal also, but was a certainty. I love both those shows and the women who star in them.

Comment by Roses – May 11, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Rayna will discover Watty White is really her father prompting her to come clean with Maddy. I love Rayna/Deacon together, but it is too early in the series for their happily ever after. Teddy and Peggy just need to leave. I don’t care how.

Comment by Lisa – May 11, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Interesting theory about Watty. We’ll see how that plays out in Season 2.

Comment by Sue – May 11, 2013 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • very happy that castle is coming back that the best show on tv

Comment by Lucy Sylvia – May 11, 2013 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love BODY OF PROOF. Sucks that they cancelled it.

Comment by Dijea (@Dijea) – May 11, 2013 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actualy preferred “Body of Proof” this year over the previous ones. Not a Delaney fan, but love Mark Valley. He added the right spark to the show. For some reason, network honchos have a hate on for the guy… on nearly every program he is cast, there is soon a cancellation to follow….even if the ratings are not that bad! (Keen Eddie and Human Target were both great concepts, and he was excellent as their lead characters. Really cannot understand the viewing public and their suspect tastes!) Oh well, now there will be more reality shows for the braindead, I suppose!!!!

Comment by Shay – May 11, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Surprised about ‘How to Live With You Parents’, although I never watched it. I thought it was rating fairly well..

Comment by Jay – May 11, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they will at least keep The Neighbors!

Comment by Terry – May 11, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only reason why Happy Endings suffered was because ABC was stupid and put Neighbors on Wednesdays and moved Happy Endings all over the place. How’s Neighbors working at you for, ABC? I really hope it gets picked up by USA; I’m still peeved at the way they did Cougar Town dirty.

Comment by Brandi – May 11, 2013 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The problem is that the IQ in the US has dropped to 100 and the networks are responding by airing garbage that appeals to the masses. I think we need a cable network for smart people! This would attract high end advertisers and allow shows like Body of Proof, SMASH and Studio Sixty on the Sunset Strip can find an audience!

Comment by Caro – May 11, 2013 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why did they cancel body of proof I thought it had good numbers I hope enough people complain and they change there mind or some other channel picks it up

Comment by jennifer – May 11, 2013 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy Castle got renewed!

Comment by JulieP – May 11, 2013 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m super happy Castle was renewed. It’s the only show that would have upset me if it wasn’t on the schedule.

But I’m mad ABC cancelled Body of Proof. After all the changes they made this year and asking us to give the show a chance with the changes, people watched and the numbers were ok. Now after people invested in the changes ABC cancels it. Sigh. I’m glad I don’t run things like ABC does.

But as long as Castle is safe, I’m willing to keep on watching. Sigh.

Comment by Leigh – May 11, 2013 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s the fate of Shark Tank?

Comment by Marc Klein (@EzzyNYC) – May 11, 2013 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Scandal!!!!

Comment by Catherine washington – May 11, 2013 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Body of proof was nice, but it reminded me too much of Crossing Jordan..

Comment by SL – May 12, 2013 12:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i wish yall would not cancel body of proof because that was one of my favorite shows to watch

Comment by staci rasar – May 12, 2013 04:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did anyone watch Red Widow???? It was an awesome show.

Comment by Ruth Steele – May 12, 2013 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I did. One of my favorite guilty pleasures, and I am bummed to be left with cliff hangers which will never be explored. Goran Visnjic plays a great bad guy that you can’t help but like.

Comment by Dianne – May 12, 2013 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I too LOVED Red Widow. I feel like they should re-consider.

Comment by Linda – May 13, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This was an awesome show. I don’t think the producers realize what’s good and what’s not.

Comment by Jen – May 27, 2013 03:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess Body of Proof deserved it. It was a promising show and they turned it to another pile of cliches. The whole ME as a Detective present in every aspect of the investigation was ridiculous.
    Too bad for Dana Delany but maybe it was for the best for Jeri Ryan. Jeri CAN act… and its a shame really to have her there only to exploit her nice body. I mean in Star Trek she was wearing catsuits but they were also giving her material to ACT.

Comment by thebgt – May 12, 2013 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OK, ABC…there were only TWO programs on your network I bother to watch anymore–Castle and Body Of Proof. Now that you have shot one down, when will you be cancelling Castle? It really wouldn’t be AS bad when good shows are cancelled but when they are replaced with utter dreck and bilgewater(as in Once Upon A Time, Scandal, Revenge–shall I continue? No? OK then), it really makes you wonder if there are ANY network execs with a 3-digit IQ….and don’t even get me started on their “news” programs…..

Comment by Josie Leeds – May 12, 2013 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Josie Leeds, you list OUAT, Scandal and Revenge, 3 top shows, as bilge, and you question the IQ of the network people? 3 of their top money making shows yet you more or less call them idiots? Need I say more?

Comment by Stephhie59 – May 13, 2013 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ….and your opinion is superior to mine….how?

Comment by Josie Leeds – May 13, 2013 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I love how people are upset about TV shows esp if theirs were cancelled they shoot down others show as lame and stating the fans of those shows are idiots. Everyone has their taste in shows sorry yours did not cut it. I am surprised you did not mention reality shows because most are not that great, but cheaper to make. So complain all you want but there are more reasonable choices to make..
          Body of Proof was just like Crossing Jordan

Comment by SL – May 13, 2013 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad Castle,Nashville,& Revenge got renewed.WHY BODY OF PROOF & MALIBU COUNTRY DIDN’T ALSO GET RENEWED>THESE GUYS THAT MAKE THE DISSISIONS ARE FOOLS WE THE PUBLIC KNOW WHAT WE WANT TO SEE>GET REAL & LISTEN TO US AFTER ALL WE PAY YOUR SALERY OR HAVE YOU GUYS FORGOTTEN THAT!!!!!!!

Comment by Barbara Mangieri – May 12, 2013 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah for you Barb. I am sure that most of us have to pay for either cable, or satalite Tv and we should have more say as to what we watch. All of these cartoon shows in prime time makes me sick.

Comment by Linda – May 13, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one upset about the cliff hanger in the last scene of Red Widow when it has been cancelled and we will never get to see a resolution?

Comment by Dianne – May 12, 2013 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are not the only one. The show was one of the best. I agree with Barbara Mangieri. These fools don’t know what is good and what is not. They should let the public decide since we are the ones paying for their salaries.

Comment by Jen – May 27, 2013 03:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Red Widow would have been better as a summer show or premiered at least in the fall and not mid-season when everyone had their schedules already done for what they watch. Too bad USA or TNT did not pick it up because it could have suited their networks quite well. I like USA Network as they have the best shows on cable some even better than the ones on regular networks. Plus they split the seasons so it never really interferes with anything else and always gives something fresh to watch during summer.

Comment by BATB Newbie – May 27, 2013 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It really is a pity they put all these junk reality shows on. Maybe TNT will pick it up. Look at Dallas. Really a good show and none of the major networks picked it up. It is just as good now as it was in its first showing years ago. It’s a different culture now.

Comment by Jen – May 28, 2013 04:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Batb, so true. I don’t understand why those bigwigs don’t think like us smallwigs. lol. Introducting a new show like that mid-season when everyone is already involved with other shows is a recipe for disaster, and you would think with all their knowledge and experience, they would know this. To bring in Red Widow at that point was so wrong. Right now there are not much shows on TV to watch. I search for shows and can’t find any. Red Widow (and Golden Boy), would have done so well if they had premiered now. Our loss and no one’s gain. :(

Comment by Stephie59 – May 28, 2013 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The people at Body Of Proof were clueless, they dumped most of the cast for no good reason and lost a ton of viewers including me. They weren’t loyal to a good group of actors who helped tell a great story, no reason for viewers to be loyal to them. Good riddance!

Comment by ljd213 – May 13, 2013 03:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really ABC? The Neighbors gets renewed and Happy Endings is cancelled? Shouldn’t it be the other way around? The Neighbors is terrible and Happy Endings is hilarious.

Comment by Jodes – May 13, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SOOOO EXCITED!!! …. Castle and Scandal are my FAVORITES!!!
    I am also happy about revenge… just hoping next season is better. I hated the initiative story line.
    I actually liked Body Of Proof….. it also had decent ratings. I don’t understand why they don’t use shows like this for the summer season line up… They did it with unforgettable. Rookie Blue is awesome and airs in the summer season…

Comment by Kerry – May 13, 2013 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LIKED BODY OF PROOF BEFORE…BUT LOVE IT WITH MARK VALLEY IN IT. I THINK THEY SHOULD HAVE GIVEN THE SHOW ONE MORE YEAR WITH MARK VALLEY TO IMPROVE THE RATINGS. PLEASE RE CONSIDER….

Comment by LINDA – May 13, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So tired of waching shows – enjoying them and seeing them cancelled. Body of Proof is great. Didn’t give it much of a chance. Everyone I know loves Vegas. 2 of the cancelled shows have only been on a couple of times. This is crazy. Time to stop watching all networks. Just a lot of disappointment and more reality shows which make me sick. Got enough reality to go around.

Comment by Becky – May 13, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • happy for Revenge, Suburgatory, & Nashvllle. Modern Family is my favorite comedy. But sad for Body of Proof. Its the only police drama that I watch.

Comment by Cindy Kaiser – May 13, 2013 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yey!!!! I love Castle and Greys anatomy. when will be season 6 of Castle?

Comment by salyn – May 14, 2013 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked Body of Proof & Malibu Country, I guess all I need to watch on abc is Castle & Last Man Standing, really don’t care about the surviving shows I really hate all the reality shows they have. It’s true they don’t care what some people like I know their are some stupid shows they keep on and take off the good ones. It seems I start watching a show then all of a sudden it’s cancelled, like I starting watching Partners then POOF it’s cancelled. Some times I think they do pick them out of a hat! Know I figured what is the sense of starting to watch a new show when they decide they are going to cancel it on you anyway so they can put on something else you like then take that off, to put on some stupid reality show!

Comment by renee – May 15, 2013 12:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Last resort is another show cut before its time.

Comment by shannon – May 15, 2013 01:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally disgusted with cancellation of Body Of Proof. Good stories and decent. Shame on ABC.

Comment by Dale – May 15, 2013 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Body of proof and golden boy etc I’m ready tired of this cancelled of good shows could the network at least finish a a story before they cancelled iv been home realy sick and it would be nice to know the endings try it producers u mite get a better audience

Comment by Kelly Keiffer – May 15, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We’ll have to much reality we like are shows with some. Real drama that has a ending and we make tv apart of are world. Why don’t u let us decide since we watch it it rating sucks cuz u have no clue what’s good or not

Comment by Kelly Keiffer – May 15, 2013 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post