ABC Cancels Body of Proof, 5 Others; Renewals Include Castle, Revenge, Suburgatory, Nashville

ABC Renewed SeriesTaking a better-late-than-never approach, ABC has officially renewed nearly a dozen shows for the 2013-14 TV season, including rookie drama Nashville and established hits Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, Revenge, The Middle, Modern Family, Castle (for, contrary to rumors, one and not two more seasons) and Once Upon a Time.

Sophomore bubble comedies Suburgatory and Last Man Standing also have been picked up, as has the freshman series The Neighbors.

RELATED | ABC Picks Up Marvel’s S.H.I.E.L.D., Rebel Wilson’s Super Fun Night and 9 Others for Fall

On the cancellation front, Malibu Country, Family Tools, Body of Proof, How to Live With Your Parents (for the Rest of Your Life), Red Widow and Happy Endings have been axed (full story on H.E.‘s demise here).

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated.

1. Jamie says:

Yay for Castle!!!! But what about The Middle?

2. K. says:

Very happy for Once,Revenge and Nashville but very very SAD they canceled Body of Proof!!!!

3. Elizabeth says:

Slightly bummed about Body of Proof and Malibu Country; but I am so very happy that OUAT, Revenge, Castle, Nashville, The Middle, Modern Family, and Last Man Standing have all finally been renewed.

• Linda says:

I am really bummed that they keep some of the reality shows that they do, and get rid of shows like Vegas, Malibu Country for example. Wish I knew who to really contact to protest some of their cancellations.

4. Lorena says:

5. Drizz says:

YAY for The Neighbors!!! The little show that could. It showed a lot of heart and was a lot of fun. I will be very pleased to visit with them again in the fall.

6. Mike says:

With How to Live axed, I hope Sarah Chalke can find another quality show like scrubs.

7. happy endings was axed, but they kept the neighbours??? wtf?

8. Annetta says:

Malibu Country is canceled…You suck….Love that show.

9. Boiler says:

How do you bancel Body of Proof that routinely got 8 to 9 million viewers and another 2 million oon DVR and Malibu Country that attracted 7 milliopn live?? ABC obviously does not care about their older viewers, the ones who have the money. There have been some shockers bit some of ABC;s decisions are absurd. Did they just draw out of a hat??

10. Midori says:

Surprised at Malibu Country, Body of Proof being canceled. Hopefully it means more The Neighbors.

11. Tanya Mc says:

sad to hear about body of proof, I did enjoy that one. didn’t like the change in actors this year though. Mark Valley seems to be the kiss of death for any series.

12. Patricia D says:

YEAH FOR CASTLE & REVENGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Lyd says:

A little confused, in the article, you state that Last Man Standing has been picked up, but the renewal scorecard states it was officially cancelled??

14. Lorie says:

Bummed that Body of Proof was cancelled. Yay for The Middle, Suburgatory and Modern Family.

15. Kay says:

It says last man standing was renewed but the scorecard says officially cancelled??

16. Boiler says:

Hope TVLine etc, have the guts to ask the tough questions of these networks next week. There is no way they have quality programming to fix this bloodbath and ABC the worst(NBC close behind)

17. Quinn Mallory says:

Very happy that Suburgatory made the cut. Surprised that the Neighbor is still alive (but I only saw the pilot).

18. Lori says:

You said last man standing was renewed, but on your score card it is canceled which is it because I hope it is renewed like that show

19. StupidPeopleShutUp says:

Can’t you people read?

20. CAM says:

Body of Proof was doing better in the ratings. It is much better this year. So disappointed to see it has been cancelled. Can they at least send Dana Delaney back to Castle (Special Agent Jordan Shaw) for a few episodes?

21. MJ says:

Has Last Man Standing been cancelled or renewed? It says renewed here, but on the renewal page it says cancelled.

22. Amber says:

Body of Proof seemed to always win its timeslot. Doesn’t make sense to be canceled. In case it just cost an awful lot.

• Mike says:

Yeah, doesn’t make sense right? You don’t need sense to run a TV network. It couldn’t cost THAt much as they canned the two cops from seasons 1 and 2 and her sidekick Peter. They got a Peter replacement this year. Didja notice how fast she disappeared?

23. april-ann says:

I wasn’t too worried about Castle but still so happy and relieved to hear the good news, given the cancellation bloodbath this week. I was however worried about Nashville, so I’m a pourin’ the bubbly over that one.

24. M. says:

I don’t get the “Body of proof”-cancellation either.
    The ratings were getting better & there were episodes with nearly 9 million viewers.

25. monieet says:

Family tools is a hit. Just like GCB, big mistake to cancel it. When will these networks learn. ABC needs to fill the sunday at 10:00 slot. Move family tools and GCB there.

26. prish says:

Yae! The Neighbors are coming back! So cool! I’m a happy viewer…now for my Vegas hope.

27. LE says:

I watch to much ABC happy for OUAT, Revenge, Grey’s, Nasvhille and Suburgatory :)

28. HesterMonk says:

So happy that Castle was renewed! Looking forward to Fall 2013!

29. april-ann says:

I am also happy to hear that I will be living in Suburgatory for at least another year. Show is brilliant. Not surprised about Body of Proof. My love for Dana Delany is the reason I couldn’t watch. She stood there and made “reaction faces”. Then everyone around her fled, danced, jumped, ran, walked, moved. She spoke, from afar, meaning we saw her but rarely her face and when we did, she was so fuzzied I could barely see her. And it wasn’t my tv. Come on, she’s not that old. Tina Turner hired dancers to pick up the slack where she could not (Gloria Reuben was one of them, it’s the reason she left ER back then), and that was okay given the concert circuit, but Dana Delany can most likely still move and deserves a better show than that. A show she’s actually IN. I don’t know whose decision it was to allow her to be there but not BE there. I bet there’s plenty of spark left in her. Give her a show where she’s in charge, not just looking like she is. This was a must.look.away.

30. Ania says:

Yay for Revenge! A little confused regarding Body of Proof’s cancellation. The ratings appeared as though they were up this year. Another one bites the dust

31. Louise says:

Mixed feeling so so happy with Nashville, scandal and greys but am really upset about body of proof I’m sure it was getting better rating or at least the same as Nashville but I guess because they changed the whole cast it lost some interest :( rip Megan hunt

32. parg says:

Yay Nashville & Suburgatory!!!! My faves on ABC. Revenge too.

33. And another year of yelling at Castle on my TV await. *does the happy dance*

34. tvaddict says:

I’m a little surprised How to live with your parents got cancelled. I thought it was doing pretty good in the ratings and the show is good!

35. A fan says:

Happy about ‘Once Upon a Time’ :)

36. Caro says:

ABC renewed Grey’s, Revenge, Nashville and Scandal while cancelling Body of Proof which begs the question – Are the execs at ABC anti-women? They can keep shows that continually paint women as the stereotypical victim or manipulator but they refuse to keep a show like Body of Proof that showcases strong, driven and educated women? What a disgrace! I am appalled by ABC! Do they think people only want to women behaving badly? That is when they aren’t watching talk shows or reality TV! How sad!

• Rich Abey says:

Agree with u on that. Looks like Castle is one of the few remaining strong-female shows. Guess u cud at least watch that without fear of cancellation!

• Squintern says:

Sub 2.0 and sub 9 million viewers will get you cancelled. those are the breaks when you’re getting slaughtered by the competition.

• Caro says:

Body of Proof wasn’t getting slaughtered by the competition – it was usually winning the night in it’s timeslot! I think Body of Proof did surprisingly well considering it was a mid-season replacement with new cast members! Also, Body of Proof is a not a show that appeals to kids or those with a lower IQ whichmeans it’s audience was professionals who couldn’t always watch at 10:00pm but who watched online or via Hulu or DVR. These people don’t show up on the Nielsons but it doesn’t mean they weren’t watching!

• Krithika says:

Do you watch Castle? That, according to me, is one of the only shows on TV that hasn’t made women look like puppets or morons.

37. Gordon Saunders says:

I am so happy that “The Neighbors” got renewed. I didn’t like it when I first started watching it but it really grew on me.

38. Nicole says:

I glad Castle, Revenge and Scandal got renewed. I’m upset that happy ending got canceled I liked the show. It was funny and corky. I hope USA network picks it up. I feel it’s type of comedy fits with the USA comedies.

39. Jerri says:

Damn. I actually liked the latest season of Body of Proof more than the last two.

40. MaryAnn says:

Very, very disappointed that Body of Proof has been cancelled. It makes no sense. With all the difficulty the networks have had in getting replacement shows to work in the spring, why would they not want a short season next spring that was doing as well as Body of Proof?

41. Crena says:

so happy for Grey’s! 10 Seasons and going STRONG! :D
    Also happy for Scandal, Revenge and Once!

Surprised about Malibu Country.. it always seemed an ABC Family type of show but still performed well in numbers as it was on Friday.

42. aditya says:

I am happy they are pulling plug on body of proof..season 1 and 2 were good.. but not season 3….they wanted a back story for megan like all other series have and they went for megans father..coz only one who is dead in megan’s family was him…so pathetic…

43. Rich Abey says:

Yay Castle is renewed!!! :)But it was a no-brainer given the excellent ratings and viewer no’s. A bit dissapointed that the 2 season renewal didn’t fall thru but we gotta eat what we have. Kudos to greys and once too! But wondering why we still hav nashville cause we hav too many soaps around. And dont we already hav enough scandal an gossip in our lives to watch Scandal??

44. Ethel says:

Bad news about Body. The ratings were up, it was winning its time slot week after week. Dana Delaney’s character was almost impossible to like but the rest of the cast was good. Wonder if this means Mark Valley will be available for Human Target 2?? Just wishful thinking.

45. Singing_gal says:

Yay for greys once and suburgatory but sad about how to live…great cast and don’t think it’s had a fair go (6 EPs?) poor Sarah, that’s 2 1 season shows in a row. And I liked em both. 3rd times a charm?

46. S. says:

Yeah for Castle and The Middle, boo for How to Live With Your Parents.

47. Chloe says:

A bit sad about body of proof but I preferred the first season. The changes they made to show weren’t really necessary I thought, although it was nice for Megan to have a love interest instead of just having issues with her ex-husband

48. Mimi says:

Yay for CASTLE!!!!

49. Squintern says:

Not surprised that Castle was renewed. I suspected the rumored two-season pick-up was just that. rumor. ABC keeps a close eye on shows who’s ratings either go stagnant or slide back a bit.They’d be biting off more than they could probably chew should the ratings dip down. Castle Fans: Don’t give me this spiel about how it’s had the strongest ratings–go find their ratings for this season and look at the course of the series… They’re winning their slot but they’re just getting edged in the 18 to 49 demos and losing to Revolution