ABC Cancels Body of Proof, 5 Others; Renewals Include Castle, Revenge, Suburgatory, Nashville

Get More: Cancellations, Renewals

ABC Renewed SeriesTaking a better-late-than-never approach, ABC has officially renewed nearly a dozen shows for the 2013-14 TV season, including rookie drama Nashville and established hits Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, Revenge, The Middle, Modern Family, Castle (for, contrary to rumors, one and not two more seasons) and Once Upon a Time.

Sophomore bubble comedies Suburgatory and Last Man Standing also have been picked up, as has the freshman series The Neighbors.

RELATED | ABC Picks Up Marvel’s S.H.I.E.L.D., Rebel Wilson’s Super Fun Night and 9 Others for Fall

On the cancellation front, Malibu Country, Family Tools, Body of Proof, How to Live With Your Parents (for the Rest of Your Life), Red Widow and Happy Endings have been axed (full story on H.E.‘s demise here).

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated.

Comments (356)

• Yay for Castle!!!! But what about The Middle?

Comment by Jamie – May 10, 2013 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very happy for Once,Revenge and Nashville but very very SAD they canceled Body of Proof!!!!

Comment by K. – May 10, 2013 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Slightly bummed about Body of Proof and Malibu Country; but I am so very happy that OUAT, Revenge, Castle, Nashville, The Middle, Modern Family, and Last Man Standing have all finally been renewed.

Comment by Elizabeth – May 10, 2013 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am really bummed that they keep some of the reality shows that they do, and get rid of shows like Vegas, Malibu Country for example. Wish I knew who to really contact to protest some of their cancellations.

Comment by Linda – May 11, 2013 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Lorena – May 10, 2013 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY for The Neighbors!!! The little show that could. It showed a lot of heart and was a lot of fun. I will be very pleased to visit with them again in the fall.

Comment by Drizz – May 10, 2013 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With How to Live axed, I hope Sarah Chalke can find another quality show like scrubs.

Comment by Mike – May 10, 2013 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think it has been axed yet. At least it’s not mentioned here that it is.

Comment by anon – May 10, 2013 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wait – NVM – just saw the update. Guess it’s gone too.

Comment by anon – May 10, 2013 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • happy endings was axed, but they kept the neighbours??? wtf?

Comment by Sara Heller (@alfabettezoupe) – May 10, 2013 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Malibu Country is canceled…You suck….Love that show.

Comment by Annetta – May 10, 2013 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How do you bancel Body of Proof that routinely got 8 to 9 million viewers and another 2 million oon DVR and Malibu Country that attracted 7 milliopn live?? ABC obviously does not care about their older viewers, the ones who have the money. There have been some shockers bit some of ABC;s decisions are absurd. Did they just draw out of a hat??

Comment by Boiler – May 10, 2013 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Surprised at Malibu Country, Body of Proof being canceled. Hopefully it means more The Neighbors.

Comment by Midori – May 10, 2013 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sad to hear about body of proof, I did enjoy that one. didn’t like the change in actors this year though. Mark Valley seems to be the kiss of death for any series.

Comment by Tanya Mc – May 10, 2013 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mark wasn’t the kiss of death for Boston Legal or Fringe.

Comment by Drizz – May 10, 2013 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Maybe bc he left these shows after 1 respectively 2 seasons? ;)

Comment by M. – May 10, 2013 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He was also the kiss of death for Harry’s Law.

Comment by Nedsdag – May 10, 2013 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEAH FOR CASTLE & REVENGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Patricia D – May 10, 2013 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A little confused, in the article, you state that Last Man Standing has been picked up, but the renewal scorecard states it was officially cancelled??

Comment by Lyd – May 10, 2013 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am confused about that to because I really like that show

Comment by Lori – May 10, 2013 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just checked the scorecard again and it was fixed to Officially Renewed.

Comment by Lyd – May 10, 2013 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummed that Body of Proof was cancelled. Yay for The Middle, Suburgatory and Modern Family.

Comment by Lorie – May 10, 2013 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It says last man standing was renewed but the scorecard says officially cancelled??

Comment by Kay – May 10, 2013 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope TVLine etc, have the guts to ask the tough questions of these networks next week. There is no way they have quality programming to fix this bloodbath and ABC the worst(NBC close behind)

Comment by Boiler – May 10, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For ABC, I don’t think anyone was expecting those shows to actually get renewed though. Fox NBC will always and forever be the worst, don’t take that title from them.

Comment by Jess – May 10, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • *Fox and NBC

Comment by Jess – May 10, 2013 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree on most but Body of Proof led its time slot. One show ABC’s older viewers, like me, enjoyed. Makes no sense.

Comment by Boiler – May 10, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very happy that Suburgatory made the cut. Surprised that the Neighbor is still alive (but I only saw the pilot).

Comment by Quinn Mallory – May 10, 2013 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You said last man standing was renewed, but on your score card it is canceled which is it because I hope it is renewed like that show

Comment by Lori – May 10, 2013 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t you people read?

Comment by StupidPeopleShutUp – May 10, 2013 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Body of Proof was doing better in the ratings. It is much better this year. So disappointed to see it has been cancelled. Can they at least send Dana Delaney back to Castle (Special Agent Jordan Shaw) for a few episodes?

Comment by CAM – May 10, 2013 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • First season was much, much better. I couldn’t stand the second season and gave up on it!

Comment by HesterMonk – May 10, 2013 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Things I need like burning: Jordan Shaw on Castle. Especially if this finale hurts as bad as we all think it’s going to.

Comment by Christina Volkoff (@hannigram) – May 10, 2013 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Has Last Man Standing been cancelled or renewed? It says renewed here, but on the renewal page it says cancelled.

Comment by MJ – May 10, 2013 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Body of Proof seemed to always win its timeslot. Doesn’t make sense to be canceled. In case it just cost an awful lot.

Comment by Amber – May 10, 2013 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, doesn’t make sense right? You don’t need sense to run a TV network. It couldn’t cost THAt much as they canned the two cops from seasons 1 and 2 and her sidekick Peter. They got a Peter replacement this year. Didja notice how fast she disappeared?

Comment by Mike – May 11, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasn’t too worried about Castle but still so happy and relieved to hear the good news, given the cancellation bloodbath this week. I was however worried about Nashville, so I’m a pourin’ the bubbly over that one.

Comment by april-ann – May 10, 2013 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get the “Body of proof”-cancellation either.
    The ratings were getting better & there were episodes with nearly 9 million viewers.

Comment by M. – May 10, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Family tools is a hit. Just like GCB, big mistake to cancel it. When will these networks learn. ABC needs to fill the sunday at 10:00 slot. Move family tools and GCB there.

Comment by monieet – May 10, 2013 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Nashville fits perfectly in that Sunday 10 PM slot.

Comment by Lisa – May 10, 2013 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yae! The Neighbors are coming back! So cool! I’m a happy viewer…now for my Vegas hope.

Comment by prish – May 10, 2013 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Vegas has already been cancelled. Sorry.

Comment by Drizz – May 10, 2013 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch to much ABC happy for OUAT, Revenge, Grey’s, Nasvhille and Suburgatory :)

Comment by LE – May 10, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy that Castle was renewed! Looking forward to Fall 2013!

Comment by HesterMonk – May 10, 2013 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am also happy to hear that I will be living in Suburgatory for at least another year. Show is brilliant. Not surprised about Body of Proof. My love for Dana Delany is the reason I couldn’t watch. She stood there and made “reaction faces”. Then everyone around her fled, danced, jumped, ran, walked, moved. She spoke, from afar, meaning we saw her but rarely her face and when we did, she was so fuzzied I could barely see her. And it wasn’t my tv. Come on, she’s not that old. Tina Turner hired dancers to pick up the slack where she could not (Gloria Reuben was one of them, it’s the reason she left ER back then), and that was okay given the concert circuit, but Dana Delany can most likely still move and deserves a better show than that. A show she’s actually IN. I don’t know whose decision it was to allow her to be there but not BE there. I bet there’s plenty of spark left in her. Give her a show where she’s in charge, not just looking like she is. This was a must.look.away.

Comment by april-ann – May 10, 2013 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Revenge! A little confused regarding Body of Proof’s cancellation. The ratings appeared as though they were up this year. Another one bites the dust

Comment by Ania – May 10, 2013 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mixed feeling so so happy with Nashville, scandal and greys but am really upset about body of proof I’m sure it was getting better rating or at least the same as Nashville but I guess because they changed the whole cast it lost some interest :( rip Megan hunt

Comment by Louise – May 10, 2013 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay Nashville & Suburgatory!!!! My faves on ABC. Revenge too.

Comment by parg – May 10, 2013 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And another year of yelling at Castle on my TV await. *does the happy dance*

Comment by Christina Volkoff (@hannigram) – May 10, 2013 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a little surprised How to live with your parents got cancelled. I thought it was doing pretty good in the ratings and the show is good!

Comment by tvaddict – May 10, 2013 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy about ‘Once Upon a Time’ :)

Comment by A fan – May 10, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC renewed Grey’s, Revenge, Nashville and Scandal while cancelling Body of Proof which begs the question – Are the execs at ABC anti-women? They can keep shows that continually paint women as the stereotypical victim or manipulator but they refuse to keep a show like Body of Proof that showcases strong, driven and educated women? What a disgrace! I am appalled by ABC! Do they think people only want to women behaving badly? That is when they aren’t watching talk shows or reality TV! How sad!

Comment by Caro – May 10, 2013 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree with u on that. Looks like Castle is one of the few remaining strong-female shows. Guess u cud at least watch that without fear of cancellation!

Comment by Rich Abey – May 10, 2013 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sub 2.0 and sub 9 million viewers will get you cancelled. those are the breaks when you’re getting slaughtered by the competition.

Comment by Squintern – May 10, 2013 11:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Body of Proof wasn’t getting slaughtered by the competition – it was usually winning the night in it’s timeslot! I think Body of Proof did surprisingly well considering it was a mid-season replacement with new cast members! Also, Body of Proof is a not a show that appeals to kids or those with a lower IQ whichmeans it’s audience was professionals who couldn’t always watch at 10:00pm but who watched online or via Hulu or DVR. These people don’t show up on the Nielsons but it doesn’t mean they weren’t watching!

Comment by Caro – May 11, 2013 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do you watch Castle? That, according to me, is one of the only shows on TV that hasn’t made women look like puppets or morons.

Comment by Krithika – May 14, 2013 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so happy that “The Neighbors” got renewed. I didn’t like it when I first started watching it but it really grew on me.

Comment by Gordon Saunders – May 10, 2013 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I glad Castle, Revenge and Scandal got renewed. I’m upset that happy ending got canceled I liked the show. It was funny and corky. I hope USA network picks it up. I feel it’s type of comedy fits with the USA comedies.

Comment by Nicole – May 10, 2013 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Quirky. Not corky. Oh my god, don’t reproduce.

Comment by StupidPeopleShutUp – May 11, 2013 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn. I actually liked the latest season of Body of Proof more than the last two.

Comment by Jerri – May 10, 2013 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very, very disappointed that Body of Proof has been cancelled. It makes no sense. With all the difficulty the networks have had in getting replacement shows to work in the spring, why would they not want a short season next spring that was doing as well as Body of Proof?

Comment by MaryAnn – May 10, 2013 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so happy for Grey’s! 10 Seasons and going STRONG! :D
    Also happy for Scandal, Revenge and Once!

Surprised about Malibu Country.. it always seemed an ABC Family type of show but still performed well in numbers as it was on Friday.

Comment by Crena – May 10, 2013 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am happy they are pulling plug on body of proof..season 1 and 2 were good.. but not season 3….they wanted a back story for megan like all other series have and they went for megans father..coz only one who is dead in megan’s family was him…so pathetic…

Comment by aditya – May 10, 2013 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Season three was the best season yet!

Comment by Caro – May 11, 2013 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay Castle is renewed!!! :)But it was a no-brainer given the excellent ratings and viewer no’s. A bit dissapointed that the 2 season renewal didn’t fall thru but we gotta eat what we have. Kudos to greys and once too! But wondering why we still hav nashville cause we hav too many soaps around. And dont we already hav enough scandal an gossip in our lives to watch Scandal??

Comment by Rich Abey – May 10, 2013 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bad news about Body. The ratings were up, it was winning its time slot week after week. Dana Delaney’s character was almost impossible to like but the rest of the cast was good. Wonder if this means Mark Valley will be available for Human Target 2?? Just wishful thinking.

Comment by Ethel – May 10, 2013 10:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yay for NASHVILLE!

Comment by Connie Britton Fan (@BrittonFAN) – May 10, 2013 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for greys once and suburgatory but sad about how to live…great cast and don’t think it’s had a fair go (6 EPs?) poor Sarah, that’s 2 1 season shows in a row. And I liked em both. 3rd times a charm?

Comment by Singing_gal – May 10, 2013 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah for Castle and The Middle, boo for How to Live With Your Parents.

Comment by S. – May 10, 2013 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A bit sad about body of proof but I preferred the first season. The changes they made to show weren’t really necessary I thought, although it was nice for Megan to have a love interest instead of just having issues with her ex-husband

Comment by Chloe – May 10, 2013 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also YAY for Scandal (even though expected), Revenge & Once

Comment by Chloe – May 10, 2013 11:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for CASTLE!!!!

Comment by Mimi – May 10, 2013 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not surprised that Castle was renewed. I suspected the rumored two-season pick-up was just that. rumor. ABC keeps a close eye on shows who’s ratings either go stagnant or slide back a bit.They’d be biting off more than they could probably chew should the ratings dip down. Castle Fans: Don’t give me this spiel about how it’s had the strongest ratings–go find their ratings for this season and look at the course of the series… They’re winning their slot but they’re just getting edged in the 18 to 49 demos and losing to Revolution

Comment by Squintern – May 10, 2013 11:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post