Ratings: Survivor Nips at Idol's Heels, Family Tools Tumbles, Two ABC Comedies Hit Lows

Don't Say Anything About My MomCBS’ Survivor inched up a tenth in the demo this Wednesday to tie American Idol in the 8 o’clock hour for the first time ever, with a 2.5 rating.

In total audience, CBS notes that Survivor enjoyed its smallest margin of difference versus Idol: 9.33 million viewers vs. 9.49 mil, during their common hour.

(Across its two-hour run, Idol averaged 10.8 million viewers and a 2.8, holding steady week-to-week.)

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled?

Continuing CBS’ good night, Criminal Minds (9.9 mil/2.5) also ticked up a tenth, while CSI (9.7 mil/2.2) rose 16 percent.

NBC’s The Voice, with a 2.7 rating (and 8.7 million viewers), bested both Survivor and Idol during the 8 o’clock hour and gave the Peacock its best performance in that time slot since Nov. 7. Leading out of that, SVU (7 mil/1.9) was up 20 and 27 percent to tie its best rating since Jan. 9, while Chicago Fire (7 mil/1.8) ticked up 9 percent a tenth to its best rating since Feb. 27.

RELATED | The Voice Results: Did the Right Contestants Make the Season 4 Top 12?

Over on ABC, The Middle (6.7 mil/1.8) slipped 10 percent and two tenths (to a season low), Family Tools (4.4 mil/1.1) plunged 23 and 27 percent from its premiere, Modern Family (8.8 mil/3.1) was Wednesday’s No. 1 show yet fell 14 percent to a season low demo, and How to Live With Your Parents (6 mil/2.0) ticked down a tenth. Bubble drama Nashville (5.4 mil/1.6) dipped a tenth to place third in its hour.

The CW’s Arrow (2.6 mil/0.9) and Supernatural (2.1 mil/0.9) were both flat.

1. leigh says:

Modern family was just okay last night. I bet it will go up next week with only two episodes left.

2. Cassie says:

Last night’s Chicago Fire was so sad! Outstanding job by cast and crew!

3. wrstlgirl says:

Chicago Fire was amazing last night :-) I’m so glad I didn’t listen to the critics who said this series was a dud before it even it the air. Boy did they get it wrong!!!

• Eli says:

Exactly! Sometimes I feel like the critics are just as much a bunch of sheep followers as any other group of people. I think half the people talking smack about Chicago Fire before the season began had never even seen the show.

• wrstlgirl says:

They were probably basing that opinion on the pilot which truthfully wasn’t that great. But I do think a lot of people make decisions based on what the critics say which is really sad. I prefer to watch a show and make up my own mind. Often times they get it wrong. Nashville was supposed to be this years break out hit…..it’s good but it not even close to being a “hit”.

4. HeatherC says:

Chicago Fire was amazing last night and I bawled my eyes out even though I haven’t liked Hallie since the show started and won’t miss her at all. Great job by Jesse Spencer in making my heart break for Casey and by everyone else on a wonderful episode. Next week looks even better! =) <3

5. CS Glo says:

Awesome season of Survivor!
    Finale is Sunday.

• JBC says:

AGREE, I have so enjoyed this Season’s Survivor. They made a lot of different plays. Although I thought what happened to Brenda last night was terrible. I wanted her to win. Now I want Eddie or Eric.

• wrstlgirl says:

It was sad to see Brenda so upset but that’s what happens in this game every time you get to confident. It was the right strategic decision to make because I believe she could have gone all the way so I understand why they voted her out. She had a lot to do with blindsiding Andrea so she can’t say she was truthfully honest with her. For me I wouldn’t mind any of them winning at this point except for Sherri. I have a feeling another poster is right and Dawn may win.

• Tiffany says:

We are rooting for Cochran. I hated him the first time he was on but really enjoying him this go round.

• Mel says:

I think Cochran has been most strategic this year. He knows when to plant a seed and knows when to encourage other thinking. I did feel bad for Brenda though. She certainly should have taken the reward, but you just never know what strategy is going to work. She would probably still be there if she’d been a little more ruthless. So for me I’d like Cochran for the win, and Eric runner up. Dawn has just gotten on my nerves with all the crying and her little temper tantrum at camp. So I wouldn’t mind seeing her go next, or useless Sheri or Eddie. Still can’t forgive his “pretty person alliance.”

• CS Glo says:

They need to get rid of Eddie before the final 3.
            He’ll have Malcolm, Reynold and Andrea’s votes off the bat.
            Looking for Cochran, Dawn and Eric in the finale.

6. Bobby says:

Chicago Fire was incredible last night. So glad it went up! Hopefully next weeks continues the trend for those who see last nights episode. Wish it got more buzz but happy to see a lot of fans are loving it as much as I am.

7. Midori says:

Nice weather and everyone stays outside.

8. Medrare says:

I wish they’d cancel American Idol already. It’s a manipulative piece of junk that promotes singers who they want, not who the public chooses. The show is no longer exciting, the judges ridiculous, Randy has had his 15 mins. over a long time ago. Cancel it please.

9. Tom Charles says:

maybe if ABC didn’t air dreck like Family Tools, their ratings might be better

10. mia says:

Excellent episode of Survivor – a fantastic season. I wanted Brenda to win, but still exciting tv. Dawn is going to win

11. kiks says:

Really wanted Nashville to do well. It was a sweet episode. I hope this doesn’t discourage a possible renewal.

12. Boiler says:

I hope Nashville is renewed. I like it personally and it does do well with DVR. I am guessing DVR will really bump up Modern Family. With the nice weather people are outside now and DVR stuff. Someday maybe the networks would figure out how to make money off DVR AND start to factor in the above 49 demographic where the money really is

13. Kresh says:

Even though spn was about the mythologi it felt so empty storie wise, it was a meh episode, but the finale seem to be great! :D

14. Maki says:

Arrow was tremendous yesterday. Best episode to date. I really really loved the episode intense emotional and bad ass with great development.

15. Jo says:

Survivor has been epic this season. That psychotic Dawn woman is pure evil.

• wrstlgirl says:

LOL, Dawns no more psychotic then anyone else on that show. Not sure what she’s done that makes her “pure evil” that seems a bit harsh. My guess is your upset because she voted out Brenda :-) which was the smart thing to to.

16. Mary says:

Wow! “How To Live” is holding up really well. Only down a tenth when MF was down half a point! ABC should definitely pick it up!

• Michael says:

I’m glad someone appreciated the show as much as I do! I feel like these kind of comedies with the witty banter are the comedies that should excel. It worries me, though, because this and Suburgatory are two shows that deal with the extremes of a comedy (let’s face it, a lot of the scenarios are extreme situations, but that’s where hilarity ensues) while retaining those tender moments.

17. Winston says:

I just started watching Nashville on Hulu. Can anyone tell me why exactly this is @ 9/10pm show? It’s actually pretty good and I just think the time slot hurts it, not making excuses but admittedly certain time slots are death slots, and I just think Wednesday at 9/10 is not a Great help to it. Is there a reason it can’t be moved into an earlier slot?

18. Melanie says:

Did anyone else hear Diggle (on Arrow) resurrect Faith’s “five-by-five” catch phrase?! I didn’t realize Arrow had any Buffy writers on staff!!