The CW Renews Nikita and The Carrie Diaries

Get More: Renewals

Nikita RenewedDivision may be dead, but Nikita is not: The CW has renewed the spy thriller for a shortened fourth (and likely final) season. The Carrie Diaries, meanwhile, has been greenlit for a second season.

RELATED | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New

The Maggie Q-star vehicle and the Sex and the City prequel join the network’s previously picked up series The Vampire Diaries, Supernatural, Hart of Dixie, Arrow and Beauty and the Beast for the 2013-14 season.

Exact episode counts for both shows will be announced next week at the CW’s fall “upfront” presentation in New York, but Nikita boss Craig Silverstein confirmed on Twitter that the show received a short order (we’re hearing just six episodes).

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect the news.

Comments (109)

• Yay! The Carrie Diaries! Woo!

Comment by Singing_gal – May 9, 2013 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita lives to see another season I am happy but also disappointed. Why wouldn’t the CW renew the show for a full season? The Carrie Diaires has been hitting 0.3-0.4 in the demo slot on a Monday night while the awesomely written and acted show Nikita gets a 0.2-0.4 on a Friday where people usually go out to party? Anyway congrats to Nikita let’s end it with a bang. I will surely miss Maggie Q :(

Comment by JC – May 9, 2013 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am happy with these renewals let all the shows run continuously and at mid-season. I hope Nikita gets a 2 hour movie end sad only 6 episodes!!

Comment by DavidSask – May 9, 2013 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The CW had some great series this season so im happy that they decided to give newer shows like BatB and TCD room to grow. Apparently the network wants to start moving in the direction of a cable channel by ordering more series with limited number of episodes. Great idea!

Comment by Jared – May 9, 2013 10:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Carrie Diaries? WELL THERE’S A NICE SURPRISE!!!

Comment by dee123 – May 10, 2013 12:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAAAAT?! I thought The Carrie Diaries was done for. It started off charming but is actually quite a boring show, in all honesty.

Comment by Ella – May 10, 2013 01:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I did not expect The Carrie Diaries to be renewed! I knew Nikita would be renewed so i was wasn’t shocked.
    They should really get rid of Top Model. Nobody cares about it anymore! I’m done with the scripted cat fights and overly dramatic contestants, but I would miss Kelly “Cut-Throat” Coutrone. She was the only one liked on judging panel.

Comment by Kit – May 10, 2013 03:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay so I am glad Nikita got renewed because it’s been around for a few seasons so they deserve a final season. But I sort of feel like renewing TCD was a slap in the face to all the other loyal fans who have liked past CW shows that have been canceled, who performed at the same level or even a little better. How are we suppose to know what shows to stick to watching if CW randomly renews shows with awful ratings and sometimes cancels the shows with awful ratings?

Comment by cas – May 10, 2013 05:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Once again….and I’ll write s-l-o-w-l-y so you can understand it….Carrie Diaries had a major promotional push and is based on a billion-dollar franchise. The show was also well done and has unlimited storyline potential. The biggest key to renewal, despite low on-air ratings, is the time-shifted viewing and online viewing. It had a huge following, in CW terms. Potential and cult fanbase = we’ll try this for another season. Simple.

Comment by pantheralumguy – May 10, 2013 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ll write this slowly so YOU can understand it…I don’t read every single post so I did not know every single thing you mentioned. And from everything I have read in the past, online viewing really doesn’t count for much because advertisers only pay for live viewing. But I am glad you work for the CW and can explain to everyone how it works so us slow people can understand more.

Comment by cas – May 10, 2013 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been tellin’ you guys for weeks this was a done deal, and yet so much fretting. CW does not replay reruns of cancelled series in the summer, and Carrie Diaries is set to replay starting the first week of June. You’ve gotta know how the network operates. As I told you, Cult and Emily Owens are off the air for good. Also told you that Nikita would get a chance to wrap up the story with a nice send-off, just like 90210 and Gossip Girl.

Comment by Jason – May 10, 2013 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So the only show cancelled was 90210! They could have at least given it a short finale season. So that means they have 7 shows including the Originals. So I assume they are not picking up any more than one, maybe two shows.

Comment by sarah – May 10, 2013 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I read this before I saw the official pick ups. I guess with 12 shows and 10 slots, Nikita and another show will be half seasons.
      None of the pilots the picked up really interest me. I was hoping for Company Town and Blink. Oh well, at least I have the Originals and I will check out Star Crossed if it is not on when another show is.

Comment by sarah – May 10, 2013 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guess its better than nothing for Nikita but foolishness like 90210 can survive 5 seasons/ over 100 episodes, why can’t quality (way above 90210 by CW standards) like Nikita go out with 100 for syndication or at least a FULL final season?!

Comment by Al – May 10, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What i do not realize is in fact how you are now not actually much more neatly-liked than you may be now.

You’re very intelligent. You recognize therefore considerably in the case of this subject, produced me personally believe it from a lot of numerous angles. Its like women and men aren’t interested except it’s something to accomplish with Lady gaga! Your personal stuffs excellent. At all times maintain it up!

Comment by ringing in the ears remedy – May 11, 2013 12:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as there’s closure for Nikita I’m glad because great series never seem to get them and this show deserves one.

Comment by sareh – May 11, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im happy theres going to be a 4th season but I really dont want Nikita to end!!!!!

Comment by Rachael099 – May 11, 2013 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very relieved Nikita will get to wrap up the story and have a proper finale, but 6 episodes seems like too little. They have enough stuff up in the air that wrapping it all up with just 6 eps would be very rushed. I hope the order ends up being for 10-13 episodes, even 10 (like Gossip Girl) might be enough.

Comment by Alex Forrest (@AlexForrest5) – May 11, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t believe Carrie Diaries has been renewed – this show sucks! Even my 17 yr. old niece said it’s stupid and yet this dog has been renewed. CW what are you thinking????

Comment by Buffygirl – May 15, 2013 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Noooo. I’m glad we have a few more episodes but don’t quit on the show CW! Nikita is amazing.

Comment by JJ – May 15, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope there will be more than 6 episodes :D

Comment by bernard – June 18, 2013 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • shame about Nikita only getting a shorter series but at least it got something. Happy about Carrie. I think it’ll be better than the first!

Comment by Sarah – August 4, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show, but they must do better stories. Should not have killed off Sean, and Burkhart has to be more involved. Nakita and her fiance (can’t remember name) are awesome, but something is missing, and is not Alex. Perhaps we are tired of Amanda, or need Percy to come back. Just do not stop it, just get better writers.

Comment by Douglas Ferguson – August 13, 2013 05:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post