NBC Cleans House, Cancels Whitney, 1600 Penn, Up All Night, Guys With Kids and More

Get More: Cancellations

NBC Cancelled Shows A major house cleaning is underway at NBC.

The network has axed 1600 Penn, Guys With Kids, Up All Night and Whitney — with more cancellations expected later today.

They join previously cancelled Peacock series Deception, Animal Practice and Do No Harm.

RELATED | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect Thursday’s bloodbath.

Which cancellation are you more bummed about?!

Comments (226)

• PS – and I really liked 1600 Penn too. It was best when it revolved around Jenna Elfman. Josh Gad was a little too old for that type of role, even tho it was set around his character’s immaturity. he should have been happy with creator, exec producer, writer…..what else? Retooled, and moved, I would still watch it.

Comment by acumindeft – May 9, 2013 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You can add “Guys With Kids” and “Up All Night” to cancelled.

Still holding hope for Go On and a shortened final season of Community

Comment by Katherine – May 9, 2013 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It doesn’t get any shorter than what they got this season, which was what, 13 Eps? Bit of a confusing comment. If they renew it they renew it, but they already got the shortened season treatment once.

Comment by ajintexas – May 9, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am still bummed out about the cancellation of My Own Worst Enemy. I wish they would do a mini-series/summer arc to wind it up. Also, I am still frustrated about ending Life, so a mini-series winding that up, too. Plus, I was a big fan of Journeyman, so a windup of that, too. NBC whacks shows, mid-stream with no resolutions. I liked the first few episodes of Deception, and I am sorry it will not continue. I was going to catch up on it, during the summer. Those are my thoughts for the day. I am waiting to see the Vegas decision, checking into this site, several times a day. At least I am keeping TVLine’s ratings up.

Comment by prish – May 9, 2013 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG you’ve gotta move on from that. That’s unhealthy to hold on to that for so long.

Comment by Jared – May 9, 2013 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was there any doubt about Up All Night? Everyone left.

Comment by Tori Melching (@lizjaxe) – May 9, 2013 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yup. Maya Rudolph’s pregnancy was the last nail in that coffin.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – May 9, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, the last one was when Christina Applegate bailed.

Comment by Steve F. – May 9, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No, they were considering replacing her with Lisa Kudrow. Because that makes sense.

Comment by Zach – May 9, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aww, I’ll miss Guys With Kids. It was some harmless, fluff but I loved it.

Comment by Nicole – May 9, 2013 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • it had so much potential! men, women and babies. a blank canvas to do whatever you want with! it’s sad to see it cancelled :(

Comment by noo – May 9, 2013 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad about Guys w/ Kids, it was quite surprisingly lovable. Oh well, thanks for a fun season.

Now renew Go On!!!!!

Comment by DreamRose311 – May 9, 2013 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please don’t cancel the New Normal… Such a nice cast…

I have a bad feeling though… But I really hope I’m wrong.

Comment by Alex – May 9, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Save The New Normal and Community and I’m a happy camper today!

Comment by Jared – May 9, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lol, I might be the only one who’s upset about Guys with Kids being canned. I expected it but I thought it was an okay show.

Comment by Linda – May 9, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1600 Penn I would have fought for, other than that good riddance. I never understood how Whitney got a full season and then a second season.

Comment by Tom Charles – May 9, 2013 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So at this point the only comedy NBC has renewed is Parks and Rec, with Community, Go On, and The New Normal still on the table. I would think they would have to keep at least a couple of those shows for next year, if not all three. I can’t see NBC starting over with just one established comedy next season. They’ll need a few tent poles up to get people to watch their new comedies.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – May 9, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Holy crap, they have cancelled 1/2 their line up!

Comment by Me – May 9, 2013 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My family records about 14 hrs of TV a week (having to watch through summer to get to it all). Not one minute of it is for a scripted NBC show. Seriously – who gives the green light on pilots there? Maybe they should start there instead of continuing to bring on truly terrible shows.

Comment by Lilly B – May 9, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re missing out, Parks and Rec is the best comedy on TV, skip everything else, but Parks and Rec has become the best comedy on TV this past year, it’s funny but it also has a lot of heart.

Comment by Mike – May 9, 2013 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • guys with kids was good tv! no fuss comedy that had potential, 1600 penn was an acquired taste, as was whitney. i think that these shows would have made it on other networks. nbc marketing sucks!

Comment by noo – May 9, 2013 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not surprised by 1600 Penn and Whitney – fingers crossed for Community! #sixseasonsandamovie

Comment by Steve F. – May 9, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m guessing Smash is next.

Comment by mawhi – May 9, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree about Smash. I’m surprised it hasn’t be announced yet.

Comment by Andrea – May 9, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hoping for a miracle here, I like Smash.

Comment by Tahoe Mike – May 9, 2013 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They messed up 1600 Penn out the gate b casting an Animal House Son ,,
    No idea how you could have fixed Whitey or Up All Night

Comment by Joseph – May 9, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1600 Penn was funny and really got better as the season went on. I’ll miss it! I thought it fit right in on Thursday nights.

Comment by Jen – May 9, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Josh Gad was a turn off, but I stuck through him, and fell in love with the rest of the cast, especially Jenna Elfman, who was the highlight of the show.

Comment by Mike – May 9, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t Smash being cancelled only a formality at this point, I see Go On and Community getting renewed for 13 eps, and if New Normal doesn’t get cancelled I’ll be shocked.

Comment by Mike – May 9, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please not Community!!!

Comment by Dex P – May 9, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1600 Penn was hilarious and never given the right time slot. If they had let it run another season it would have built an audience.

Comment by Ann – May 9, 2013 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They renewed Chicago Fire already right? I enjoy that show, but then again I am a paramedic. If I had to guess The New Normal is still going to go along with Smash. I think Community stays although it has some quality loss this season.

Comment by ajintexas – May 9, 2013 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chicago Fire has been renewed.

Comment by Mike – May 9, 2013 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i had grown to like Whitney but can live without it. Couldn’t stomach the older brother on 1600 Penn but would like to know what the pregnancy surprise was. Smash is already dead. Please save Parks & Rec, the funniest show on TV.

Comment by reng – May 9, 2013 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1600 Penn was on the wrong network. And yes, I am playing fan excuse Bingo.

Comment by ajintexas – May 9, 2013 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community and Go On better be back!

Comment by Kurvin – May 9, 2013 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • good riddance to the garbage that is the Whitney show.

Comment by Taryn – May 9, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t believe it about deception! That was such a great show! Kept me on the edge of my seat every episode….so annoyed right now!

Comment by Helen – May 9, 2013 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fingers crossed for Hannibal!! It’s the first show I’ve actually watched live since the first season of Heroes, definitely the best show on television right now.

Comment by Grace – May 9, 2013 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guys with kids was awesome! Super sad to see it go!

Comment by Rachel – May 9, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it would be cool if Community got renewed and Harmon brought back. Never gonna happen… but a girl can wish, right?

Comment by Ashley – May 9, 2013 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on NBC, continue to clean House, Community, Go On & The New Normal next please.

Comment by Dave Stone – May 9, 2013 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m pretty sure House was canceled a while ago, by Fox.

Comment by Ashley – May 9, 2013 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just kidding, I’m an idiot who just learned how to read

Comment by Ashley – May 9, 2013 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Whitney im sorry it is gone. I really hope the boyfriend/husband character gets in something good, him and the guy that played Oliva Munns husband in that other NBC show (guy who dated Jess on New Girl) are the funniest guys iv ever watched on TV.
    Also sad about 1600 Penn, it was good and funny.
    I think a lot of this is proof that TV needs to change. I could easily tell the execs 9 outta every 10 shows that has gotten cancelled that it was going to get cancelled after watching their first 1-3 episodes.

Comment by M3rc Nate – May 9, 2013 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not happy about Guys With Kids, but I knew it wasn’t going to be renewed. However I am ecstatic that the dreadful Whitney got the axe!

Comment by Dave – May 9, 2013 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you have to tell. How much did you watch Whitney? If you watched every episode then you can say it’s dreadful if not you are wrong. It became a very good show.

Comment by Jaxguy – May 9, 2013 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn! I liked Guys with Kids and Deception. I hope Go On makes it.

Comment by Melanie – May 9, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whitney was terrible….However they left us in the air with deception The final chaptur did not give closure.

Comment by linda – May 9, 2013 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Again for you. Did you watch every episode? If so fine you thought it was dreadful, if not you don’t know what you are talking about. It became a very good show

Comment by Jaxguy – May 9, 2013 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “With more cancellations expected later today.”
    I think my hope for a renewal of The New Normal just went down the drain

Comment by Nina – May 9, 2013 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still bummed Up All Night fell apart. It was such a charming show with some truly wonderful and hilarious moments. Sad!

Comment by Loni – May 9, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Deception was canceled earlier today.

Comment by Jennifer Mitchell – May 9, 2013 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really, Deception? I got into that show, thought it was pretty good and maybe with a Season 2, they could polish it up a bit. Sad.

Comment by Helen – May 9, 2013 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOO! Not Guys with Kids, I loved Nick and his constant hilarious jokes about Sheila!

Comment by Tina B. – May 9, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they renew Community, I think if they’re going to announce it today it might have helped tonight’s finale ratings if they announced the renewal before 8 eastern time. The sooner they announce the renewal or cancellation, the sooner we all can rejoice or begin to heal! I really like Go On, but having more time with the characters of Community I’d be more heartbroken if Community was cancelled.

Comment by Brad – May 9, 2013 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh no! 1600 Penn?! I really liked that show, and thought it did pretty well ratings wise(..?). Was looking forward to seeing how that baby s/l turned out.

Comment by megs – May 9, 2013 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed Whitney – I’m sad to see it go. It was refreshing and honest (and more representative of my group of galpals than ‘Girls’ is). I’m going to miss it and Whitney Cummings. But hopefully we’ll have 2 Broke Girls for years to come

Comment by mia – May 9, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Whitney! It was a fun 30 minutes! How many shows can you watch about solving a homicide, or fake horrible housewives???

Comment by Shane – May 9, 2013 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched Whitney from the beginning but I was starting to lose interest in it so I’m not too broke up by it. I really only enjoyed Whitney and Chris. Every other character was just too over the top. I am sad by guys with kids bein cancelled but I am not surprised. I almost didnt start watching it at first because so many websites were bashing it and predicting it would be cancelled. I decided to go ahead and try it after about the 3rd episode and it became a staple in my husbands and my dvr schedule. One of the only shows we both laughed at. Sad to see it go.

Comment by Ty – May 9, 2013 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whitney grew on me after hating the pilot. It turned into one of the shows I looked forward to watching every week. Didn’t care for the 2nd Season move to the bar and some of the storylines were in conflict with the wackiness of the show (heart ailment, parents splitting…), and didn’t care for the 2nd year cast addition. Still, when it was Whitney and her man…it was fun, bubbly entertainment. Whoever played her husband was the MVP of the show….really loved his character and the way the actor played him. Hope he gets plenty of work now that he’s looking.

Comment by craigfuntime – May 9, 2013 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Whitney :-(

Comment by Izzie – May 9, 2013 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why all the hate for Ms. Cummings? First Love You, Mean It, and now Whitney itself? I love her sense of humor, but actually find 2 Broke Girls to be the worst of the 3 creations she’s come up with. Is that the power of Michael Patrick King? Perhaps…

Comment by Singing_gal – May 9, 2013 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh thank god Whitney and that blandfest Guys with Kids are both gone. I agree with this decision. Good moves all around, NBC.

Comment by Zoe – May 9, 2013 11:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Which cancellation are you more bummed about?!”

Absolutely none of them.

Comment by Pavanne – May 10, 2013 01:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • dang. the only NBC shows i watch (besides SNL) are Guys with Kids & Deception!!

so sad to see those go. welps, back to my ABC & CBS shows…

Comment by mandypanda – May 10, 2013 02:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post