Beauty and the Beast's Sendhil Ramamurthy Teases Big Bombshell and Feral Finale Face-Off

Beauty and the Beast Finale PreviewTonight on Beauty and the Beast (The CW, 9/8c), in the series’ penultimate freshman episode, Gabe shows his true colors to Catherine — and they’re a yellow-green (depending on how the light hits his beastly peepers). That reveal sets in motion a chain of events that feed into what Sendhil Ramamurthy calls an “intense” and “torturous” finale featuring a beast-on-beast brawl. Here, the Heroes/Covert Affairs alum speaks about what drew him to the drama and shares the secrets behind his “Beast 1.0.”

RELATED | May Sweeps/Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Beauty and the Beast, The Vampire Diaries, Arrow and More of Your Favorite Series

TVLINE | You took a flyer of sorts when you signed with Beauty and the Beast, because at the time the show was still finding its legs. What gave you the comfort level to say yes?
They called me, like, two days before Christmas to say, “We’re bringing this character on. What do you think?” I hadn’t seen the show, so they sent me a bunch of episodes and I was like, “It’s good but I don’t see where this character fits in at all.” It’s not like Law & Order where you’ve got the law and the ADA comes in and does the order part. Then they filled me in on how the show was actually moving away from the procedural element and that they were going to serialize it more, and they told me the arc that this character was going on. Then I was like, “Oh, OK. That could be really cool.” Usually showrunners don’t like to give out too much information, but I think in my case they were just kind of like, “We’ve got to tell him where it’s going.” And I’ve been enjoying myself a lot.

TVLINE | Gabe and Cat have bonded some, namely at the cemetery last week. What percent of that do you think was genuine coming from him?
I think most of it. Most of it was genuine. She doesn’t trust him fully and she shouldn’t. He doesn’t trust her fully either. That’s why this week’s episode is so interesting, because she just carries on trying to put that out there. Like, “I don’t know [the vigilante],” and he’s like, “Stop it right now.” They released a clip of that moment, but they cut it right before we really get into it.

TVLINE | Is that when his eyes go yellow for her?
That’s the scene. And actually, though Jay Ryan and I wear the same color contact lenses, because of the natural color of my eyes, mine look green. But that’s the scene where I’m just like, “I know he’s your boyfriend…. All I want to do is meet him.”

VIDEO | Beauty and the Beast Sneak Peek: Cat Has Bad News, Good News for Vincent

TVLINE | But to what end? Now that we know that Gabe’s a beast, it raises a whole new layer to the question: Why is he hunting Vincent?
As it turns out, Gabe has a medication that Catherine’s mother was instrumental in developing that helps him stay normal, but he has to keep taking these pills that give him about four to six hours of “normalness.” And once Gabe tells Catherine that, it piques her interest immediately. Because even though she’s completely against bringing Vincent to Gabe, the fact that maybe he could be normal for a bit is an overriding thing. And that’s what allows Vincent and Gabe to finally meet.

TVLINE | Is it like a lion and a jackal circling each other in the jungle?
A little bit — but I’m fully beasted when I meet him. [After that confrontation] is when we actually establish something that’s really important for this character: the difference between Gabe Beast and Vincent Beast. I’m like “Beast 1.0,” so Vincent is a lot more advanced in the sense that he can remember everything when he’s a beast. But when I wake up, it’s like I totally blacked out. Yet I’m much, much stronger than Vincent, and in a totally animal, uncontrollable way — and that will come into play in the finale.

TVLINE | Is there a lot of action and stunt work in the finale?
There’s a lot. We shot for four days at the location that is Gabe’s mansion — Casa Loma in Toronto. After the public was done roaming around the house, we would take over and shoot all the way through the night. So, there are massive stunts going on, and the last 15 minutes are really intense. It’s “beast-on-beast,” a big, big fight…. I flip a car, and it goes over Vincent and Catherine’s head…. There are helicopters…. It should be fun. This next episode sets all that up, when in the very last scene a big piece of information is released. It’s been established that Gabe wants to meet Vincent because he thinks that he might be able to help him cure himself, but because it’s TV and we need to have some conflict, that isn’t quite how things work out! The way the finale ends certainly is torturous.

Want more scoop on Beauty and the Beast, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Renee says:

Intrusting!

2. According to rumours I’ve heard, they pushed Cat and Vincent together as soon as they could because the showrunners feared cancelation for this show around mid-season, so seeing as they’ve had to force these storylines more faster (and killing off Evan, who I suspect is actually being undertaken experiments at Murfield). So with season two, I really hope they create more suspense and longer story arcs for Cat’s job, as I’d like to see Cat’s job have more focus seeing as the only focus Cat has on her job is protecting Vincent instead of actually pursuing the cases.

• Michelle says:

No offense, but the Cat as a cop who solves murders was one of the WORST things about the early episodes. So glad they moved into the more serialized stuff!

• Then she may as well retire from being a cop if they’re going to be focusing more on the “serialized stuff”. Honestly, if the part about her being a homicide detective is going to be pushed away then how can it be at all believable that she’s a cop? Tess can’t cover her forever.

• Aliceinwonderland says:

Agree! It needs a continuing storyline to keep it interesting. The ‘cases’ she was working on in the beginning was weak and didn’t have much mysterious structure. She obviously needs a day job, and her character as a detective should be a party of the story, but not the main part. The focus should be on V, Cat and the supporting actors. We need good romance and good mystery and some tough obstacles to keep the viewings up; edge of your seat kind of stuff. I would love to see Tess and JT (even Gabe) to branch out in their own continuing stories.
        Does anyone else think it’s not fitting for V to be an x-doctor? military- yes, but doctor- no. It just doesn’t suit him in my book.
        Oh, and I really hope they amp up the beastly special effects in season 2, that would help draw in the dude crowd. Right now it’s ok, just a little hokey. But with the right kind of special effects guy, this could really sweep.
        LUV BATB :)~

3. GS says:

If anyone didn’t see this coming from the first time he showed up on screen, they are dumber than dirt. Curious to see where they go with it. Love the show but I swear you could get drunk if you took a drink every time someone says Muirfield.

• Yes! Thank you! I wish they’d move off the Muirfield for a while. For the rest of season one I’ll be able to deal with it, but if they continue with it too much, it’ll just become too stale and people will give up. This show really needs to begin starting a new balance and someone like Gabe could help that, but if he’s going to be there for no other reason than that then he needs to just go away.

4. Cool. I was thinking the other day that it would be cool for the show to introduce more “manimals”, for lack of a better term. Also, I’ve come to the conclusion that the show is building up to Vincent and JT moving to live to the sewers, where JT will become Father, while Vincent will complete his transformation into a move bestial manimal like the one from the original series. More drama = more conflict. Make it tragic, not a happy ending. The reverse of the original tale, wherein the beast becomes a man at the end. No, this should be about the man ultimately becoming a beast.

5. lyn says:

I am crossing my fingers that Sendhil gets a turn as Aladdin on Once Upon a Time.

6. Jared says:

I’m so happy that BatB decided to take some chances over the course of the season and not be so obvious in the story telling. Evan was a great character that nobody thought would have been killed off so soon but I definitely don’t think that’s the last will be hearing from him. Gabe was a great addition to the show and can’t wait to see what happens in these last 2 episodes. Something tells me that it won’t be such a happy ending now that we have a second season.

7. RHONDA ROLFE says:

OMG SOUNDS ELECTRIC AND EXCITING AND A LITTLE BIT SCARY I CAN’T WAIT ;)))

8. Alichat says:

Hmmm…..this comment “The way the finale ends certainly is torturous.” makes me fear for JT’s life. Not sure why I get that feeling, but I do.

9. Jared says:

JT is a fan favorite that brings comic relief to the show that no other character currently brings. I can’t see him being killed off in the finale.

10. Mary Lake says:

I love the relationship between Cat, Vincent, JT and Tess. Love the two women solving crimes and kicking butt. Would love to see Vincent working with the law to solve cases- eitherr behind the scenes or more “out” if that is going to be possible. The new season has all kinds of possibilities. I can’t wait it to start.

11. I have read some just right stuff here.
    Definitely price bookmarking for revisiting.
    I wonder how so much effort you set to create this sort of magnificent informative web site.