NBC Cancels Freshman Soap Opera Deception

Deception CancelledSome bad news for NBC’s Meagan Good soap Deception: It’s been cancelled after one season.

Peacock sources confirm that the struggling freshman sudser will not be returning for a second season.

RELATED | Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Fave Series’ Endgames, Including Grey’sVampire DiariesScandal, Glee and More!

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect the show’s passing.

Post your eulogies in the comments section below.

1. Lindsey says:

Does that mean we’ll never find out who killed Vivian?? Or did we find out in the finale?? I can’t remember!!!!! :p

2. anon123 says:

I’m not even surprised. The ratings were horrible.

3. martina says:

Good. The plot had potential but the acting and writing wasn’t top notch. I gave up after the first three episodes, and I guess the show hasn’t got better since.

• dude says:

It actually got A LOT better. The finale was a bit of a let down but everything up until that was pretty addictive.

4. I’m not surprised. It was an obvious mashup of Scandal and Revenge.

• Lucy B says:

I thought it was much more Dirty Sexy Money and Revenge! Either way, it didn’t live up to its potential, sadly.

• How is it anything like Scandal????? I hate when ppl say its like scandal just because its female lead is black, so its compare to scandal. Was joanna a fixer, no. Is Olivia an under cover cop, No. Is Joanna in love with the prez of the USA, no. So again how is it like scandal????? Yes it was like Revenge that many people are right on but it ws no where near scandal, just that both female lead were black. So sad that people think that way.

• Jenny says:

“How is it anything like Scandal????? I hate when ppl say its like scandal just because its female lead is black”

^This!! Totally!

And it shoes how imperative it is that we have more POC in shows and movies as leads so racist people don’t conclude that two shows/movies are similar just because it has two female POC leads.

• nosey says:

Did not get the impression the person compared Deception to Scandal & Revenge for the reasons you are stating. Don’t know why the person compare the 3. However, in all three shows the leading ladies are self sufficient, strong, and can defend themselves (whether mentally, physically or both). All three women have a deep dark secret, both past and present. The show was also compared to Revenge, where the leading lady is not in love w/ the prez, nor an under cover cop. But all three women are tough, however their deeply hearted love interest is what gets them off track, and exposes their weakness. I personally would not have compared the 3 shows, I have seen all 3, and I can see a similarity among the three leading ladies in a general aspect.

• Jenny says:

“However, in all three shows the leading ladies are self sufficient, strong, and can defend themselves ”

In which case, House and Scrubs would “an obvious mashup” because the leads are men, went to medical school, wear stethoscopes and know how to use needles. I somehow doubt the original commentor is going to think that of these two shows. Eitherway though, if he’s not profiling based on race, he’s doing it based on the gender of the leads; as you are.

Which just shows how badly we need many, many more shows with female, POC, LGBTQ leads and main characters so arbitrary differences such as these don’t decide the categorization. A white male isn’t the default human.

• dude says:

It was an obvious mashup of Scandal because Meagan Good is black? Don’t even pretend that’s not why you compared the two because aside from that, they have nothing in common.

• Emmapants says:

Wrong, this show was clearly Revengica Mars.

5. hello says:

Don’t care about this crap Community dammit

6. KD says:

oh no… I liked that show. Watched it every week

• LL says:

I loved this show. The chemistry between Meagan Good and the character of Julian was amazing! I liked all of the actors, the storyline, and the delivery. I am sad to see it go. Another mistake of NBC programming.

7. ruby says:

So sad!loved the show,loved the chemistry btwn the guy who plays julian and meagan good.Guess we wuould have to wait before we get more than one African-American actress as a lead role in a drama on network tv..

8. Sarah says:

Nooo Julian! I <3 him

9. Nooooooooooooooooooo! This is really sad news.

10. Dom221 says:

was a decent show. :(

11. Teag says:

More likely for Hannibal to be renewed.

12. this is bad news. This show got better week after week. It would have been good to see it progress to a second season to see what it could do. It will be missed..

13. bobbie says:

darn, I liked this one!!!

14. dude says:

I really liked this show but I’m not surprised in the least. It had no buzz going for it and the ratings were pretty bad. At least we found out who killed Vivian, even if we’ll never know why.

15. Jared says:

Im sure NBC only cancelled Deception to keep Hannibal which is basically getting the same ratings.

16. says:

it was A Deception

17. Scott says:

Hope another show adds Wes Brown. He’s worth tuning into any show

18. keico says:

i guess if i can’t say anything nice…

19. TL says:

NOooooooooo. Julian and Joanna were so cute. Loved this show and was looking forward to season 2. So tired of TV shows canceling shows way too quickly!

20. mia says:

I’m trying to remember, but has any midseason show actually gotten renewed in the last 4 years? Scandal is the only one coming to mind.
    Maybe its about time networks got rid of them and revamped the entire tv scheduling system.

• Christian says:

I think CBS is the only network that tends not to give their midseason dramas a decent shot. Off the top of my head of midseason shows that went on to have a second season in the last 4 yrs are: Castle, Harry’s Law, Body of Proof, Scandal, The Following, Parenthood, Smash.. I’m sure there’s more that I’ve forgotten.

21. KCC says:

I liked it!

22. Jb says:

Damn! Just watched all the episodes on Hulu yesterday. Was just getting into this show and it won’t be back.

23. Sarah says:

I’ll be honest… I’m very sad that i won’t be seeing Wes Brown’s face every week. He’s the only reason I watched the show to begin with.

24. Brad says:

SMASH!!!!

25. A says:

Sad day. Loved Julian

26. ChrisGa says:

Too bad although not surprised in the least. Ratings were anemic–but then what ,outside of the Voice, Grimm, Revolution and maybe Chicago Fire, isn’t on NBC?–but I was hoping considering they have very few actual hits that they’d give it another shot. The acting was very good and the show got better each week.

27. LaLa says:

I’ll admit, the first few episodes were horrible, but I thought it had really picked up some steam by the finale. I really was hoping we’d get to see what happened to Mia. Aw well . . .

28. Michael says:

I’m so bummed out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. beginning the sequence is so confused for me..

30. Mikael says:

I was hoping Deception would return next year. It didn’t have to be a “main show,” they could have aired it while a show was on hiatus for the winter, or air it over the summer.

31. Shauna says:

i hoped they would give this show another shot! it improved as the season went on, people didn’t give it enough of a chance …

32. Llanviewer717 says:

Please Bree Williamson, come back to One Life to Live. We need Jessica.

33. Kayla Summy says:

Wow. Was really loving this show and the cast. NBC should have given it another season. Was getting really, really good.

34. mandypanda says:

at least they revealed who did it in the finale! now i won’t be left wondering.

but where am i gonna get my julian fix?! <3

35. Love says:

I finally find a show that’s interesting enough to keep me engaged week after week and they cancel it. SMH

36. Roxie says:

I think the network needs to rethink their decision regarding cancelling the show. If a show does not make a big hit initially then they should rework it not cancel it since it has a following. I loved the show but others had not heard of the show which means better advertising was needed not cancellation.

37. Namcy says:

So bummed!! Watched it everyweek and the last show was not advertised as season finale. I think Scandal is so boring!!!!!!

38. M-P says:

they canceled my show, now i won’t b watching NBC again…. unless they bring it bakk

39. Everytime I see this I remember the other actor that looks similar..

40. patti says:

Loved this show. Really sorry that it’s been cancelled.

41. san says:

I miss Deception!

42. Brittney says:

I love deception!!! they p*** me off once again
    deleting shows that I like!!! just like they did The Secret Circle!!!!

43. Brittney says:

Im black and I’m tired of black people always making stuff about color or assuming somebody remarks are about color fall back with that smh

• Jenny says:

It’s great that you feel you’re not racially discriminated against ever(?). However, it’s extremely uncool to be dismissive of people who can see/feel racism/racial stereotypes. And realize that racism, sexism, and other oppressions will never go out of existence without being called out. It can’t be held back just so they don’t ‘tire’ people or make you ‘look bad’. It’s a shame you don’t feel solidarity, but at the least, you can stop perpetuating tropes like that.

• Jenny says:

“To paraphrase a now-famous metaphor, racism is the sugar in the American cake. Sure, the cake has other ingredients, but once the thing is mixed and baked, you’re never going to be able to take a bite that is sugar-free.

Nods to racism (or any sort of oppression) don’t count. We need a profession-wide, systemic understanding of what racism is, where it comes from, and how it morphs and changes to stay alive. That’s the only way we’re going to learn to win the fight against it.”

mansplainedmarxist.tumblr ‘dot’ com/post/53297259108/if-youre-an-americanist-historian-you-better

44. Tia says:

I wish there could be another episode the show was very entertaining and good. And thus has made me mad once again there always taking off the shows I like. Like they did chole king now that was my favorite show

45. toni says:

i loved deception, me and my wife couldnt wait till the next episode came on the following monday. they need to find another network to air on………..

• Tanya says:

I totally agree! There isn’t to many TV shows that I like as they all seem to be to similar. I really loved this show and also looked forward to watching it.. even if it was on demand. I watched it and want to see more.

46. Shenell says:

DECEPTION WAS A GREAT SHOW IT JUST TAKES PEOPLE AWHILE TO GET EMOTIONAL ABOUT IT. I REALLY THINK NBC SHOULD RECONSIDER I LOVE THIS CAST AND THE STORY KEEPS GETTING BETTER. IT SUCKS IT ENDED THE WAY IT DID WITH STILL SO MANY UNANSWERED QUESTIONS.!!

47. Lisa says:

Please bring Deception back! I really loved it. There’s many others out there that is addicted to it. It is unfair to just end it like that, when there is so much unanswered questions.

48. sexiest hoe ever says:

you guys are all bitches

49. lisa says:

i’m sorry to see this show canceled. i enjoyed it and i felt like it was going to get better and better.

50. dylan says:

This is my personal first time my spouse and i visit here. I discovered so many entertaining stuff in your blog, particularly its debate. From the a great deal of comments on your posts, I assume I am not on your own having every one of the enjoyment the following! Keep up outstanding work.